While analysts often write about the cannibalization of digital cameras by smartphones, recent sales data on Slickdeals appear to show otherwise. So far this year, we're seeing a big increase of camera deals on Slickdeals. In January 2014, both deal thread counts and purchases of cameras were both up over 200% on Slickdeals compared to January 2013.
So what's hot? The top two selling camera deal threads so far this year have been refurbished Nikon cameras. The first was a Nikon 1 J1 Mirrorless Camera with two lenses and a case for $200 offered by BuyDig via eBay. The second was a Nikon D3200 DSLR Camera with a 18-55mm lense for $329 offered by Adorama via eBay. Both were fantastic prices on tier one camera bundles offered through eBay's Daily Deal program.
Top Camera System Deals in January and February 2014
- Nikon 1 J1 Mirrorless Digital Camera (Refurbished), 10-30mm VR & 30-110mm VR Lenses, and Nikon Case for $199.99 at BuyDig via eBay
- Nikon D3200 24.2MP DSLR Camera (Refurbished), 18-55mm Lens for $329 at Adorama Camera via eBay
- Canon EOS Rebel T5i 18MP DSLR Camera, 18-55mm IS STEM, 75-300mm, Pro Optic Filter Kit for $658 at Adorama Camera
- Sony Black NEX-3N 16.1MP Compact Digital Camera, 16-50mm Lens, 8GB Class 10 Memory Card, Camera Case for $290 at Walmart
- Sony Cybershot DSC-RX100 20.2MP 3.6x Optical Digital Camera w/ 1080p Video for $400 at 6ave via eBay
- Rokinon 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Lens (Canon, Nikon, Micro 4/3rds or Sony E & A Mounts & Fujifilm X) for $275 from BuyDig via eBay
- Nikon AF-S Lenses: 85mm f/1.8G $397, 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G $497, 50mm f/1.4G $385, and more from Adorama Camera
- Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Autofocus Telephoto Lens for $301 from Adorama Camera
- Nikon AF-S Refurbished Lenses: 35mm f/1.8G Lens $159, 50mm f/1.8G Lens $155, 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED VR Lens for $89 and more from Adorama Camera and BuyDig
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens for $99 from Amazon
Are you in the market for a new camera? DSLR? Point-and-shoot? Mirrorless? Or is your smartphone more than capable of capturing those special moments?