Stereo turned itself on. Causes?
It has a remote (been years since I replaced the batteries) and plays CDs, Casettes and has a radio.
So last night, I got up to use the bathroom and reach over to get my glasses in the dark, and the CD starts playing. I was thinking, I must have hit the remote while reaching for my glasses.
So I turn it off.
A few minutes later the CD starts up again, I shut it off and it turns back on.
Throughout the night (I kept waking up) the CD would start playing, it seems like its every 10 minutes or so, so finally I turned the volume to zero, and then in the morning I unplugged it.
I plugged it in earlier today, and so far it has not turned on.
Any ideas what could have caused it?
I had some thoughts:
1. There was a short inside the stereo and caused the CD to start. But its been fine so far tonight, so I dont think its that.
2. My cellphone next to my remote caused some kind of interference and caused the CD to play. But I usually leave my cell next to my remote without problems.
3. The batteries on the remote are dying out and caused spikes in voltage which triggered the remote to play the CD, but its been fine so far today.
4. Theres some kind of outside cross-signal thing that set off the CD player. But this has never happened before and it was the middle of the night, so I doubt someone would be using a garage door opener multiple times at 3 am.
5. There were some kind of power surge overnight, which caused the stero to turn on. But its strange that it never happened before, and it only happened that night.
My girlfriend is freaking out about it, so I have to find her some kind of logical explanation for it.
Im sure it could be 1-5, but it has never happened before, and since that night (all of Sat night) it has not happened again.