- 4 jacks in the TV room
- 4 in the computer room
- 2 in master bedroom
- utilize laundry room as the "data center"
What to get:
- 16 port gigabit switch Probably this one
- Cheap rackmount, shelf, etc from monoprice
- 1000ft spool of Cat 6 from monoprice. I read somewhere that in-wall wire should be solid, but monoprice lists the stranded as in-wall. Which one should I use? Also, I noticed a couple different MHz ratings. Do I need to even concern myself with this?
- Keystones and plates, etc
- UPS - do I need this? Or just get a good surge protector?
Am I correct in assuming my wireless router needs to be between my modem and the switch? Or can I connect the wireless router to the switch. I ask because I have a Netgear WNR2000 Wireless-N Router, which I believe is not gigabit. Do I need to upgrade my wireless router?
As for running the wires I think I have it pretty much figured out, except one thing. 9 of the 10 wires will be run in internal walls. I want the last wire to run in an external wall. How realistic is this?
I appreciate your insight.