I would be honest with Company B. Tell them that you have verbal offer from Company A, and are expecting the written offer any day. If you really are their top choice, this might provide them with some motivation to speed it up.
I would also go to company B and tell them that you have an offer that you are considering accepting, but would prefer to work for them and would like to get an offer. I know a lot of companies drag their feet on such things, so that would also be a good way to see how important you are to company B
There's nothing wrong with you not having all your eggs in one basket and no reason for you to hide the fact. I'm guessing company A sees you as a "catch" and is worried that someone else might snatch you up and that's why they're pressuring you to act quickly. It's entirely possible that one or both of the companies could come back with a more competitive offer after finding out you've got more than one on the table. Just be honest and upfront. Don't let company A pressure you into making a decision before you're ready (is that really the kind of company you want to work for?) and give company B some motivation to get their offer to you.
take offer A now, but quit if offer B materializes.
if necessary, tell company A that, after some serious thought, you realize that outside sales is a poor fit for your personality & that you wouldn't be able to give 110% or some such nonsense).
Whatever you do, don't do this.
Last edited by Kristin; 07-07-2012 at 05:42 PM..
Reason: Autoface Doublepalm
:scrub: :scrub: :scrub: I'm ready for you Kristin!
Beauty, brains, fluff and talent? She's the whole package.
It is difficult to provide rationale in order to refute when the initial argument is so off to begin with that the only valid response is: because it goes against common sense. Yes, I realize common sense is not that common, and no, I didn't read a law book to figure that out.
And I picked up that stool metaphor...on the way to picking up my medical degree.
Stop feeding the trolls!
I don't think the strategy to join Company A and then leave (within 3 months) if you do get an offer from Company B is bad, but probably shouldn't have to go that route. If the company doesn't let you think over an offer for at least 1 day, they are too desperate for workers.
Also, if you tell them the truth that you have other opportunities you're waiting on you could use it as leverage to get more money or at the very least both companies know you're in high demand so they'll value your time to making a decision.
Exploding offers are very common in my industry. The first resort is to ask for additional time. You can generally ask for a week without it being an issue, particularly if you have a spouse or would have to relocate. Sounds like a week would get you where you needed to be here.
In my industry, they're very unlikely to rescind the offer just because the applicant asks for additional time to decide. At worst, they usually just stick to their deadline, giving you the option of accepting.
We also use bridge offers by staggering applications to multiple jobs while waiting on the preferred position. The bridge offers are typically a series of exploding offers, and you turn down offers as they expire. If you don't get the offer you really want by the time the last offer is expiring, you take the last job offer before it expires. That's not necessarily your best offer, but it is a manageable risk while keeping the "dream offer" avenue open, and at least you don't get caught with your pants down.
Slickdeals is able to share the best deals because of the contributions of users like you! If you found a great deal,
please share it with others by posting in our forums.
Welcome to Slickdeals!
Save money here by finding the lowest and cheapest price, best deals and bargains, and hot coupons. We're all about
community driven bargain hunting with thousands of free discounts, promo codes, reviews and price comparisons.
Don't worry, we'll help you find your way. If you haven't already, check out this
that explains the features of our site.