Food in general is exempt, but CA has been taxing food for select conditions for some time now.
Sales And Use Tax Law
CHAPTER 4. EXEMPTIONS
Article 1. General Exemptions
6359. Food products. (a) There are exempted from the taxes imposed by this part the gross receipts from the sale of, and the storage, use, or other consumption in this state of, food products for human consumption.
(b) For the purposes of this section, "food products" include all of the following:
(1) Cereals and cereal products, oleomargarine, meat and meat products, fish and fish products, eggs and egg products, vegetables and vegetable products, fruit and fruit products, spices and salt, sugar and sugar products, candy, gum, confectionery, coffee and coffee substitutes, tea, and cocoa and cocoa products.
(2) Milk and milk products, milkshakes, malted milks, and any other similar type beverages which are composed at least in part of milk or a milk product and that require the use of milk or a milk product in their preparation.
(3) All fruit juices, vegetable juices, and other beverages, whether liquid or frozen, including bottled water, but excluding spirituous, malt, or vinous liquors or carbonated beverages.
(c) For purposes of this section, "food products" do not include medicines and preparations in liquid, powdered, granular, tablet, capsule, lozenge, and pill form sold as dietary supplements or adjuncts.
(d) None of the exemptions in this section apply to any of the following:
(1) When the food products are served as meals on or off the premises of the retailer.
(2) When the food products are furnished, prepared, or served for consumption at tables, chairs, or counters or from trays, glasses, dishes, or other tableware whether provided by the retailer or by a person with whom the retailer contracts to furnish, prepare, or serve food products to others.
(3) When the food products are ordinarily sold for immediate consumption on or near a location at which parking facilities are provided primarily for the use of patrons in consuming the products purchased at the location, even though those products are sold on a "take out" or "to go" order and are actually packaged or wrapped and taken from the premises of the retailer.
(4) When the food products are sold for consumption within a place, the entrance to which is subject to an admission charge, except for national and state parks and monuments, marinas, campgrounds, and recreational vehicle parks.
(5) When the food products are sold through a vending machine.
(6) When the food products sold are furnished in a form suitable for consumption on the seller's premises, and both of the following apply:
(A) Over 80 percent of the seller's gross receipts are from the sale of food products.
(B) Over 80 percent of the seller's retail sales of food products are sales subject to tax pursuant to paragraph (1), (2), (3), or (7).
(7) When the food products are sold as hot prepared food products.
Slickdeals is able to share the best deals because of the contributions of users like you! If you found a great deal,
please share it with others by posting in our forums.
Welcome to Slickdeals!
Save money here by finding the lowest and cheapest price, best deals and bargains, and hot coupons. We're all about
community driven bargain hunting with thousands of free discounts, promo codes, reviews and price comparisons.
Don't worry, we'll help you find your way. If you haven't already, check out this
that explains the features of our site.