FREE State e-file options for 2012 Tax Return (CA shown as example - All eligble States linked within)
Deal DetailsLast Edited by widgit January 4, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1. Do your fed + state return in your tax software (H&R Block, Turbo Tax, etc)
2. Print or create a PDF version of your state tax return as if you're going to mail it.
3. Go to your state's free e-filing website, for CA it is... https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individual...wa
4. There is certain criteria to e-file through the website but unless you make over $300k and have some crazy tax credits you likely qualify.
5. Literally copy over the information from the H&R Block Tax forms into the state tax forms - they make it pretty easy to do.
6. Submit and get confirmation number - process takes maybe 10 mins it's so quick and without the added cost of paying your tax software to submit it.
Edit: All states will have their own criteria on who does and does not qualify, feel free to add a quick snipet in the wiki but to avoid mucking up the wiki to much it might justbe easier to take a peek at your states filing website and see if you meet the criteria. Most states set these sites up though with the general populous in mind - they tend to want to disqualify the top earners which I imagine varies by state.
Edit2: Full listing here - we'll keep adding to wiki to save on some clicks!! Thanks for everyones help, i've been repping like crazy!