Not a TC, but what do you guys actually use this for? I wrench on cars a lot...Maybe because I have a cheap HF seat, but I don't use it much & find that the only times I'd use it are for brake or suspension work, in which the car is on jack stands & the rims are off & I just sit on the laid down tire & rim...they're all in the same height range in the fenderwell so the height adjust isn't really important to me..
Like I said, maybe it's cuz I have a HF one, & the craftsman one might be better, more versatile or have more utility, but the only plus it offers over sitting on the tire/rim for me is the tool tray which on the HF one, is cheap plastic that will bow & flex with anything more than a couple screwdrivers or 1/4" ratchet & socket.. Deep 1/2" drive sockets & 1/2" ratchets makes you think the pan is going to break..
All the underhood stuff, I wouldn't be using a seat to work on the engine..I guess if you're doing body work or something & the wheels arent off its better than squatting or on your knees..Or is it a "mechanics seat" like for sitting at a tool bench & not when sitting down to actually work on the car?
Same with the creeper, a lot of times ill just dump down a cardboard to lay on, or just lay on the garage floor because the creeper adds height.. My mechanics tools have slide out drawer modules.. So I just pull that out & lay it on the floor near whatever I'm working on with all the sockets & appropriate drive ratchets & don't slide in & out much so I don't use the creeper most of the time either..
The creeper & mechanics seat for me was kind of a waste of garage space & money (though not much)...
I have a mechanic's mat like this one (not this one exactly but similar product):
I use this pad constantly, I'd say 95% of the time with the creeper and small seat like the one in the OP being the other 5%.
As you said the seat is pretty much only used for brake work. Creeper gets used if there is something underneath where rolling out to sit up many times is planned.
But the pad gets used the vast majority of the time. It lays lower than the creeper and is more comfortable. Raised up high enough to keep me dry off a cold or wet floor or if anything is spilled.I sit on it to clean wheels or do any low work like taking those wheels off, and it's also good for kneeling. It's one of those things I bought on a whim thinking I would never use it, but after many years of having all three options it gets used more than any other creeper/seat/bucket in my shop. It's just that much lighter and easier to work with than the creeper. Also easier to store, light enough to hang up on a nail or pegboard pin. Combine that with being more comfortable and laying lower and it's sort of a "duh" thing, the grown up version of throwing cardboard or carpet down.
Last edited by FranksAndBeans; 03-11-2013 at 10:49 PM..
Slickdeals is able to share the best deals because of the contributions of users like you! If you found a great deal,
please share it with others by posting in our forums.
Welcome to Slickdeals!
Save money here by finding the lowest and cheapest price, best deals and bargains, and hot coupons. We're all about
community driven bargain hunting with thousands of free discounts, promo codes, reviews and price comparisons.
Don't worry, we'll help you find your way. If you haven't already, check out this
that explains the features of our site.