- Create referral account https://www.sharethenet
- Send yourself/spouse a link for the referral or give them the code. (If you have a friend with FiOS, have them send you a referral and when it's time for them to get new service you refer them. I've heard you can have the referrer and referree be from the same address but it might be safer to have a friend do it)
- Go through with signing up for new service. Make sure you're going through the referral link or using the code from the referral. During the signup you'll select that the existing service at the address is not yours and they will be responsible for canceling their service.
- Note: During your order, add an SD cable box on your first TV to get it free for life.
- Schedule an install date for your new service (usually lets you do that during your sign up process online). You can schedule the install for up to 2 months out I think.
- Once you have an install date for your new service, call Verizon and cancel your old account the day before your new service will be installed (you'll be without service for a day). You can schedule a future disconnection, you don't have to actually wait until the day before to call and cancel.
- A day or so after you sign up for the new service and have an install date scheduled, call Verizon (under your new account, you should have an install reference code they give you) and tell them that "Cable Company X" has a better deal. Ideally you want to be referred to the retentions department. If you hassle with them enough you can get an extra $10 off per month for the full 2 years.
- Have the installer come out and have him hook up your old boxes to the new service. You can flat out tell the installer what you did and that you want to use the old boxes for the new service. They deal with this all the time and don't care. As long as your old boxes are shown on their system as being used on an account they'll be flagged as "turned in." (At least that's what my installer told me, and they've cleared from my account. My install was 6 months ago)
- A few days after you have your new service installed you can sign up for the Verizon Connections program if you have an employer or school that participates in it. If you qualify, you'll get another $10 off for triple play and $5 off for double play. http://verizonconnecti