Installing in-line toggle switch to wireless backup camera receiver causes bad things to happen
August 26, 2013 at
Okay, I realize this is a pretty obscure issue, but I've gotten help here about obscure things before, so I thought I'd give it a try. In a nutshell, I am trying to install a wireless backup camera and monitor in my truck. The camera part went fine. The monitor receives the signal from the camera by way of a wireless 2.4ghz receiver. Both the monitor and receiver need 12V power to operate, and no instructions came with it, so by hunting on the internet, I found that the best thing to do is wire both of them together to a power source (wire) that supplies power to something that only comes on when the key is inserted in the ignition. I chose the overhead console that shows the temperature, trip odometer, etc. Only when I wired it, the receiver and monitor came on immediately, not just when the key was inserted. I couldn't find another power source nearby, so I thought if I wired a toggle switch inline between the power source and the receiver, I could just toggle the switch on and off when I needed the backup camera to be on. This all worked fine when I tested it with a 9V battery as a power source. But when I wired this setup into my truck, as soon as I connected the black wire, the wires began to overheat and actually melted the insulation. This even before I turned the key. I quickly disconnected the wires. Luckily it doesn't appear to have done any lasting damage to the truck's electronics (as far as I know ).
Anyone know why this would happen? The set up without the inline toggle switch didn't cause the overheating. I thought a toggle switch was just a on or off switch and don't see how this could cause it to happen. I did have some trouble soldering the wires to the switch and may have overheated it somehow. Could this cause the issue?