After recently obtaining a new Galaxy Note 3, I decided to try out the S View case. I didn't want a knockoff, so I looked for a US seller on eBay that was selling the authentic case. Well, I found a seller who had a handful for around $30 in retail packaging. Given the price and the US location, I figured they got them through a liquidation or something. Well, I was very wrong. What I received was a VERY good counterfeit replica! In fact, I'm impressed at how well they copied the original. It fit perfectly...but Samsung uses a chip so that only genuine Samsung accessories work with their phones...and while there have been attempts at replicating the chip, apparently they don't always work. Mine worked for about a week, then became flaky...I'd have to remove and replace the cover because it would stop responding. Then it stopped altogether. The seller even sent me a new chip, but it didn't work. I ended up going to Best Buy and buying a real cover, and figured I'd post the comparison here for future reference.
Main differences (other than a correctly operating chip):
- No hanging threads or tied stitches
- Better feel on the Samsung (real leather?)
- Touch response is better on the Samsung screen
- Imprints on front/back are clearer, more defined
- Counterfeit case triggers S View when you fully open the case (detects the magnet from the rear)
- "Retail box" did not contain Samsung 'genuine' foil