New Thread Listing Design Feedback
Please use this thread to let us know what you like, what you're missing, and what improvements you think could be made to the new design. It's still very much a work in progress so any feedback is good feedback.
It will be almost as it was originally with the exception of the category icons will need to remain as text but will be on thew left-hand side again. Color will go back to what it was before etc...
So you should see this change within the next few hours. ~Schooby
Some steps to simplify the look again
As you will read through the thread developers and most staff at SD have analysed the "data" and "data" tells them they are getting more revenue since they switched to new layout. So your feedback is welcome but only if it fits the "data".
You can use the ad block addon to help bring back the forum list to look better. Thanks to the other posters for these suggestions.
Add these custom filters and the site is much better.
How to turn off the thumbnails
- slickdeals.net##table#threadslist .threadthumbcolumn
Thank you for your patience as we try out this new design in beta. You've been selected for a first look at this beta because we value your opinion.
Please bear with us as we collect your feedback and make improvements!
A message from bryantq:
Quote :Thanks for all your feedback everyone.
I wanted to chime in and say that -nothing- is off the table, and all of your requests and suggestions are heard loud and clear - however what we're doing is testing and collecting data. Sometimes we have to try things to know if the ideas work or not.
Certainly the status-quo is more comfortable to everyone, but that feeling should never impede the idea of making improvements and progress. Lets try, and if we fail, we learn and try to improve again. I have always believed the community could tolerate and even participate in this process, so that we find ways to take the feedback and build a better website/community for everyone;
Our goal is to test fast, get data fast, and make improvements fast. We'll ask ourselves what are our goals, what do the users want, how can we achieve this, and does it match what we're seeing in the data. We'll always hear from those who have something to say - and it's important to us to hear that, but we also need to consider those who don't say anything (the other 10 million people who use Slickdeals), which is why the data is the best way to see how everyone acts/responds. Maybe we'll find newer users are okay with it, and veteran users aren't and that's okay. If that's the case, we'll make some feature changes for our veteran users because they're equally as important to us. Unfortunately it takes some time to collect enough data to be sure ~ right now only 25% of users can see the new design.
For example, the reason why we removed certain things like the wiki icon was that it was practically never used.
Originally in this test, we also removed all the mini pagination (Page 1 2 3 4 5 - Last Page) because that also wasn't used much, and after further feedback from users, we found out all they really wanted was the Last Page link. Truth be told people didn't really care about jumping randomly to page 2, 3, 4, or 5 (in a 500 page thread or a 7 page thread), but it did distract and clutter up the list.
People have asked, "why did you do this?" I can tell you some of my goals with the design. First of all, it started with adding the score to the thread list. The score is probably one of the most important aspects of the site, and while thumbs were a good initial indication of quality, they did not help a user distinguish between a +20 deal and a +500 deal (which would both appear as 5 thumbs up).
Furthermore, we needed to convert the category icons to text: the reason for this is that it is very hard to maintain unique icons for all of our new categories (in a 12 by 12 pixel icon, how do you show the difference between a tv and a monitor, ?); and the old icons didnt match all the categories we had. Furthermore, the icons limited us to the length of text in there... we couldn't write "Electronics" for example and still have an icon, so what's the point if eventually half our icons were going to be text only anyway.
We added thumbnails, etc because it helps identify what is in a thread at a glance. Usually this turns into catching people's interest and helping them find what they're looking for. I think we have some ways to improve this such as cleaning up the way they're displayed, playing with size, and if the data suggests we should, perhaps giving the option to hide them as users have requested.
Finally, some other improvements included trying to make the design "responsive", which means that it adjusts automatically based on the amount of space you have in your browser window. If you have a lot of space, we can display more detailed information, larger text, etc. If you squeeze the browser window narrower, you will see things disappear to accommodate that smaller window. We also added the right column in for people who had large monitors: right now that's pretty empty, but it'll give us room to add cool features like boxes that show: threads you last visited, and forum leaderboards, or even custom things for different forums.
Quote :Overall, we're trying to make the site more streamlined, responsive for multiple screensizes, and friendlier/more intuitive for newer users.
TL;DR: Ultimately, we're hearing your concerns and requests (from adding an option to turn off thumbnails, to restoring the paperclip icon)... we're taking notes, and figuring out the next plan of action.
So I ask for your patience as we work on these things. Rest assured, we hear you.
Notable Changes From Previous Version to Beta:
- Added the ability to view the score number, fire icons, and popular flag directly in the forum view. This is probably the most important addition for deal forums.
- Created a responsive layout. Depending on the width of your browser window, you will see more information. If your viewport becomes narrower, things will automatically disappear to save space. These include: avatar photos, thumbnails, replies/view counts, etc, all the way down to a mobile friendly view.
- Condensed the replies and views count into one column to save space.
- Added thumbnails so users can quickly see them.
- Moved away from category icons to category text, because as we introduce new categories this gives us flexibility. For example, the old set of icons limited us in terms of character length and description.
- Added small avatar next to users name.
- Removed non-essential icons such as attachments, wiki icon, etc. After looking at usage logs and feedback, these icons were largely useless, so we removed them to clean up the page.
Reported Bugs / Feature Requests:
Threads appearing multiple times[Resolved Feb 27] Personal sticky flag missing[Resolved Feb 27] Last column is messed up when announcements are there[Resolved] Avatars are annoying because some are animated[Resolved ; removed avatars until we can stop avatars from animating] First Unread link is missing[Resolved ; Did not restore additional link due to user feedback and the fact that the unread bubble and envelope icons also serve this purpose] Unread messages bubble missing[Resolved ; Restored unread message bubble and link to first unread] Last Page / Pagination is missing[Resolved ; Last page icon restored to last column under last activity, pagination will not return since users mostly only needed the last page link] Thumbnails appear in non-deal forums, which is bad because they rarely have thumbnails.[Resolved ; Ipads require a double click on everything[Resolved ; This was a byproduct of the ignore button on hover... Thus, we had to move the ignore button to a submenu (see below)] Ignore Thread button missing[Resolved ; Restored ignore thread option with new submenu] Page shifts around when thumbs are available[Resolved] Cannot filter by category by clicking icon anymore![Not broken; You can still click on the category below each deal to filter and see only those categories. Icons dont always appear, or appear only after click or hover[Resolved] On wide monitors, there is too much white space in the middle (between title and reply/views[Resolved; adjusted the look for wider monitors, and added a right column to fill space/make room for additional future features]
- Paperclip icon is missing [Queued ; Will restore this to the new submenu]
- Link that appeared on replies count to show who posted is missing [Queued ; Will restore this link]
- Right column doesn't always disappear [Queued ; Will fix, appears to only break for IE8]
- Frontpage / Popular Flags too obnoxious [Queued ; Will first try making the colors more subtle]
- Add ability to turn off thumbnails [Under evaluation ; Will likely add function to hide thumbnails for veteran users]
- Hard to read categories / Move to left [Under evaluation ; Adjusted font color/spacing. Will try moving to the left in future]
- Expand Post feature missing. [Under evaluation]
- When making a reply and returning to the forum, it shows 1 unread (my own post) [Under evaluation; This isnt particularly due to this test, but a bug nonetheless]
- When users use either os based or browser based zooming, the author/date line can overlap the category text.
- Category links dont filter to the same category as displayed.
Current testing / rollout schedule:
Phase 1 - Private Beta (~300 of top contributors)
Feb 20 - Mar 12
Changes / Fixes Made:
- Fixed duplicate threads appearing
- Feedback link fixed
- Restored the "Unread Bubble" count that appears on top of the envelope - This area also links to the first unread post. In an effort to reduce redundancy and clean up the design, this is where this function will live.
- Changed avatars to be rounded and applied a generic user icon for people who do not have an avatar, to create consistency of design.
- Removed Thumbnails in all forums except for Hot deals and Deal Talk
- Fixed header/table alignment issues
- Added the "Sticky" flag for personal stickies
- Added ability to remove stickies by clicking on the flag.
- Restored ignore icon which now appears on hover.
- Based on user feedback and usage data, expand post functionality is removed.
Mar 12 - Apr 1
Changes / Fixes Made:
- Fixed various text and line formatting issues.
- Restored the Ignore feature and moved it to a new dropdown menu - http://i.imgur.com/dejynkK.png
- Added the ability to sticky a thread from the new dropdown menu
- Removed avatars from "last poster" until we can fix the animation issue.
- Added a right column for screens larger than 1600px to help with excessively wide forum display with lots of white space.
- Expanded the views, and reply counts for extra wide monitors to help take advantage of that space.
- Added an unread count next to views and replies as a test, since most new users don't know what the bubbles are on the left. Saying "XX unread" in the listing is very clear/intuitive.
- The new unread link wasnt working, so we fixed that.
- Made a change to number formatting so that "1,500,000" turns into "1.50M" in order to save space.
- Adjusted when thumbnails appear and disappear so that it requires a larger screen (1200px or more)
- Icons werent always appearing in certain browers, this is now fixed.
- Restored "Last Page" link, which now lives in the far right last activity column.
- Adjusted spacing around thumbnails, title, and categories
- Increased title size from 13px to 14px.
- Forum jump dropdown removed from top of page due to its redundancy with the main menu forum navigation.
Apr 01 - Apr 15
Changes / Fixes Made:
- [Apr 01] Adjusted Font Size from 14px back down to 13px
- [Apr 01] Fixed padding in various areas
- [Apr 01] Made "Last Page" link appear for all threads with >1 page (previous legacy version required at least 5 pages to appear)
Apr 15 - Apr 21
Why can't I opt out anymore?
Opting out was only available during the beta phase. During our testing phase, we need to collect data, and to ensure valid data, we need to make sure users dont switch between the two experiences and skew the data.
These changes are terrible! I've told you they're terrible! Why haven't you changed back or done everything I told you?
We greatly appreciate your feedback, and while we're listening and evaluating them, we also need to "hear" from the other millions of slickdeals users who havent said anything. In order to do this, we collect data on usage. For example, we'll compare activity, views, clicks, etc from users in the new version vs the old.
Well, by now you should've seen that everyone in this thread hates it! Change it back already!
Typically, the people who are upset are the only ones who complain. People who aren't upset go on with their daily lives, so its pretty normal for a feedback thread to be negative (unfortunately). That being said, we are monitoring the data on a daily basis, and so far the data is showing that the new version actually is working the same or better. We need to collect more data to make sure we're 100% positive it is correct because the comments here are so vocal
However, even though the data might show the new version is better, we're still listening to your feedback and will still find a way to improve the new layout so don't worry
This post can be edited by most users to provide up-to-date information about developments of this thread based on user responses, and user findings. Feel free to add, change or remove information shown here as it becomes available. This includes new coupons, rebates, ideas, thread summary, and similar items.
Once a Thread Wiki is added to a thread, "Create Wiki" button will disappear. If you would like to learn more about Thread Wiki feature, click here.