Qnap vs synology
Seems like they both have new models in their lineup.
1. QNAP has the Intel Baytrail platform for its new series.
TS-x53 Pro, ranging from 2, 4, 6, 8 bay: Using Intel Celeron Quad-core processor
TS-x51, also ranging from 2, 4, 6, 8-bay: Using Intel Celeron Dual-core processor
2. Synology has the two Intel Atom, Evansport & Avoton platform for its new series.
for both DS214/415play and also the newly released DS415+
I ended up going with QNAP. Here is why
Not only the QNAP has better price point, they also have a lot more features
1) Built-in XBMC player: for video & media playback
(2) QvPC: Support on-device hypervisor. Run Windows & Linux VM on the same QNAP NAS. Use QNAP NAS like a PC See QvPC Technology
(3) Local surveillance monitoring by HDMI output without using a PC. See Surveillance Station.
(4) 7.1 surrounding sound support for home theater
(5) Control4, Crestron, AMX, RTI automation system integrated.