Editor's Notes & Price Research
This was a recent +47 Frontpage deal that was $2.50 more.
Here is Kong's new download link:
Kong is still in the game. Go to the DD-WRT forum and read the "You've been pranked" Thread.
How to install DD-WRT on AC1450:
Before you begin: DO NOT change your board id to the AC1750. It should still work with DD-WRT, but has been reported to be slow. If you already changed it, it is possible to change it back.
- Do a reset on the router following following the instructions here .
- Flash the router with the initial DD-WRT build made specifically for the AC1450 by Kong: dd-wrt.K3_AC1450.chk
- Do a factory reset again.
- Flash the router with your choice of generic K3-AC-ARM builds by Kong. You should be able to use which ever firmware you find the most stable. Find these firmwares here: K3-AC-ARM
- Do a reset one last time and you should be good. Please share which firmware versions worked the best for you:
If you need more help, check out the DD-WRT forum thread here .
How to convert AC1450 to an AC1750-R6300v2:
- Download telnetenable.exe from here:
- Download and Unzip the latest 6300v2 firmware from here (remember where you unzip it to, you'll need it later)
- Connect your machine to your Router directly with no other routers or wireless connections (to prevent damaging other network devices)
- From an Elevated command prompt (IE: run as administrator) go to the folder where you put the telnetenable utility and put in this:
- telnetEnable.exe 192.168.1.1 YOURMACADDRESSINALLCAPS Gearguy Geardog
- Telnet to the router:
- from a command prompt type: telnet 192.168.1.1
- (Windows needs the Telnet client added through Programs and Features, or use putty)
- Run this command
- burnboardid U12H240T00_NETGEAR
- Reboot the router
- Navigate to the Firmware Update page on your router and update with the .chk file from the zip above
- Let your router reboot and notice that you now have a 6300v2