Thread DetailsLast Edited by widgit November 30, 2014 at 12:20 PM
Panasonic - 50" Class (49-1/2" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - 60Hz - HDTV - Model: TC-50A400U • SKU: 4875001
for $199.99 + tax, in-store only
November 27-29, 2014
this will probably be very limited stock
The current price listed on bestbuy.com is $500, and it also seems strange that it's only available in store and it's a best buy exclusive.
go here for the ad:
the reviews on the main page for this item go back to June, and seem to be mostly positive:
here's panasonic's page with all the info:
Just a theory, but panasonic may have come out with this model strictly with the purpose of selling it cheap on black friday.
maybe someone can comment on whether it's common for B&M stores to have exclusive TV models.
Much of this thread deals with Price Matching. It should be noted that price matching is very much a YMMV type of thing, especially since successful price matching relies on your ability to do your homework and submit exact and proper documentation. That said... here's a brief rundown on the price matching discussions.
Best Buy: There is no way, and no how that you will get BB to PM this deal. There have been lots of suggestions on how you might do this, but all will fail. Don't even bother.
Discover: The most discussed, and possibly the most successful PM is using Discover. There are a lot of people asking how to do this with Discover, what steps to take, etc, etc. Bottom line: you need to review the Discover Price Protection Terms & Conditions as well as the SD Discover thread/wiki on Discover Price Protection. Questions regarding PM with Discover are best directed to the aforementioned Discover thread, not this one.
Other Credit Cards (Chase, AMEX, etc): This is an extremely YMMV deal. Many/most CCs will probably deny saying that this is a limited stock item, therefore they will not PM it.
- Take screen shots of everything. You cannot document too much. Make sure product screen shots include the make/model of the TV.
- Many BBs have pulled this TV from the floor to reserve them for BB's Black Friday. If you go, and there are seemingly none available, you will probably need to do some sweet-talking. Don't over talk it or explain it. Just be polite and ask for the specific TV. Personally, I find playing a bit dumb and dragging my little kids along works well (IMHO, small, polite & cute children seem to disrupt many sales rep's thought process).
- BB's normal return policy is 15 days (unless you are an Elite or Elite Plus member). However, during the holiday season they extend holiday purchases until January 15. Be wary of any BB employee trying to write on your receipt that your purchase is not available for the Holiday Return & Exchange Promise .
- Many experienced SDers will not open the TV until they at least have approval of their PM, and many of those SDers will even wait until they have their PM check in hand.
- There is a lot of conjecture if this TV is even worth $200, let alone $500. Let's get this straight: it's a 50" TV with a refresh of 60HZ. The color matching is not stellar, but for many it is passable. It is not a 4K TV with a 240HZ refresh. If you don't watch a lot of fast moving TV, and you're not overly picky about "true" color reproduction, you should be happy with this TV. See this AVS Forum for more for a technical/critical review of the EU version of this TV.
- Don't get overly invested in this deal. If your sole focus is on this deal, you'll miss other deals.
- The long-standing SD mantra is that you do not call, ask, or publicly discuss deals like this... especially with the store or your credit card (if you're PMing with a CC). If for some reason you still want to call your CC, make sure that you talk to the Price Protection department, and not the first line rep. First line reps will not be as familiar with the CC's T&Cs and will almost always try to discourage you.
These are MY SETTINGS [link to post] for the TV.
The original settings were terrible outta the box, but went thru some different settings and finally came to the settings that I like.
I am actually really, really, really enjoying this TV for $200, can't complain at all.
I hope this setting of mine helps at least one person!
Color temp: Normal
AI Picture: OFF
Video NR: OFF
Screen Format: Full
HD Size: Size 2 (if you don't select this, you'll lose part of the picture on the screen)
Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone!