- Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and sign up for RadioShack emails.
- You will receive a unique $10 off $25 promo code
- Add the phone to cart
- Total should be $39.99 - $10 off = $29.99 with free shipping
- 1.2GHz Quad Core CPU
- 1GB RAM
- 8GB Internal Memory
- 4.7" 960x540 IPS Display w/ 8MP Rear and 1.3MP Front Cameras
- 3000mAh Battery
- Android 4.4 KitKat
Editor's Notes & Price Research
For a review of this smartphone, head over to PC Magazine.
Price Comparison: Our research indicates that the Boost Mobile LG Volt 4G LTE No-Contract Smartphone is $40 lower (50% savings) than the next best available price from a reputable merchant with prices starting from $80. - yuugotserved
1. First go to www.radioshack.
2. Check your email for promo code.
3. Go back to radioshack.com and order the LG Volt in either the Sprint Prepaid or the Boost Mobile version for $39.99
4 Enter promo code, price drops to $29.99
Should be available at Radio Shack B&M stores tomorrow also, YMMV on using the coupon in the store as it excludes sale items.
Sprint Prepaid LG Volt
Boost Mobile LG Volt
Sprint or Boost mobile prepaid phones can't be activated on a Sprint postpaid plan
Coupon was successfully used on Boost model. However it doesn't work on Sprint version of the phone.
Coupon worked for me on the Sprint Prepaid Version, as in the OP.
This post can be edited by most users to provide up-to-date information about developments of this thread based on user responses, and user findings. Feel free to add, change or remove information shown here as it becomes available. This includes new coupons, rebates, ideas, thread summary, and similar items.
This Phone is blacklisted for use on RingPlus per their Blacklisted Phone check tool. This MAY well be true of Ting as they have the same policy. Sprint usually lifts the blacklisting a year after release of the phone
Just talked to Ting customer support(Sam C), about the $100 referral credit:
"If you sign up by December 1, 2014 you have until December 18, 2014 @ 11:59PM EST to complete activation"
"use the link to visit Ting's website and click on the sign up / sign in link at the top of the page. The link is unique to the person who referred you"
"The billing cycle will start when you activate your phone. You do not need to add your billing information just now, but it will be one less step later"
"You will have to wait to see the $100 with your account until your line is active"
Hope that helps!
It seems that Sprint Prepaid version is able to be brough over to Ting, see this thread for more discussion on bringing LG Volt over to Ting:
Note: Those with BoA should check their deals to see if they have 20% cashback at RadioShack
How to root this phone. A quick guide by ru7hl3ss
Okay, people have been asking how to root this LG Volt with the v4 software so here is a step-by-step guide detailing how to do it. I'm just taking what other users have posted on androidforums and rewording it to try to make this simpler for those just moving to this phone. I'm taking no credit for this. If I forgot anything let me know. I am writing this from memory so I implore you guys to visit the androidforums.
Also, this wouldn't be possible without JGrosstephanJR, Asmugone, danhalen1, donjuros and everyone else on androidforums.com. Without you guys and gals I'd forever be playing with a crippled device.
1. Download a few files and place them in a directory on your desktop: LGFlashTool , megalock.dll , LS740V3 , LS740V4 , LG drivers , boot.img , radio.zip , recovery.img , SuperSU-v2.36.zip , and this LGLS740 dll file
2. Place recovery.img, boot.img, radio.zip, ls740_zv4.zip, and UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.36.zip on a microSD card and pop it into the phone. We'll use these later after downgrading to v3.
3. Extract the LS740V3 zip file which should contain a .tot file (LS740ZV3_17.33030_Secure.tot)
4. Run the installer Setup_LGFlashTool_184.108.40.2063.exe
5. Place the megalock.dll file into the newly created LGFlashTool directory (C:\LG\LGFlashTool\)
6. Install the LG drivers (LGUnitedMobileDriver_S51MAN312AP22_ML_WHQL_Ver_3.12.3.exe)
7. Launch LGFlashTool, select the third option, then click manual
8. Select LGLS740_20140414_LGFLASHv160.dll
9. For SW select the LS740ZV3_17.33030_Secure.tot file
10. Click Board DL at the bottom left then click OK
11. Turn the phone off. Plug the USB cord into phone then into computer and as soon as you plug it in press Volume Up. If it didn't enter "DL mode" then try again. Hold the power button to reset and keep trying. I just held the Volume Up and Power button and released and it worked fine for me.
12. Go to device manager in windows and under com ports select the LG device and double click it.
13. Select the tab Port Settings, click advanced. Select COM Port and set the port to 41. If it says it is already in use say ok anyway.
14. In the LGFlashTool click the arrow in the top left corner, after a few seconds it'll say "Ready."
15. Hold the power button until you see black screen then hold Volume Up to enter "DL mode" again.
16. It'll install the old tot automatically after a few seconds, just let it be until it restarts the phone.
17. It'll boot into Mini OS. Just hold the power button and click Normal Boot then click OK again and it'll reboot into v3. Super, the hard part is done.
18. Download the tr.apk (towelroot) from towelroot.com. Just click the lambda symbol (λ) in the middle of screen.
19. Install towelroot. If it says you need to allow the device to install from unknown sources then do that. It's in settings, then security, and then under the heading "Phone Administration" you'll see Unknown Sources. Click the make it rain button in towelroot after and it'll be rooted.
20. Download Flashify from the play store.
21. Open Flashify then click recovery, select "Choose a file," then navigate to the microSD card and select recovery.img. Flashify has root access so the directory structure will look strange using it's file browser. You will find the sd card under the /storage folder.
22. Great, CWM is installed. Let's boot into it by restarting the phone and holding the Power and Volume Down keys until it says "Factory reset…"
23. Select Wipe cache, then do Advanced->Wipe dalvik cache, then do a factory reset.
24. Choose to install a zip from a file and here you'll pick ls740_zv4.zip, then radio.zip, and lastly Update-SuperSU-v2.36.zip which are on the microSD card
25. Once those install do another wipe cache and davilk cache. Choose reboot the device from the menu and select "fix root" or whatever it says.
26. Install and run Flashify again. If, for whatever reason it says you need root, download towelroot and make it rain again.
27. Select boot, "Choose a file," pick the boot.img file. Restart the phone again when that installs.
28. Run ##72786# to reactivate the device and you're good to go. Simply dial this number on the phone pad and it will start the activation when you press the last digit.
This is what worked for me. If you brick your phone it's your problem. I take no responsibility for anything you guys do. Again, this has all been posted on androidforums so check if out there if you have questions.
Bypassing activation nuisance for those planning to use phone as a mediaplayer or googlevoice ,without actually getting phone number. Based on comment #533 Do this :
"You can activate without any cost........This might have already been covered .....But it took me several hours to figure this out......You can activate through sprint with no personal info and just the phone serial..... go to sprint activate site https://myaccount.prepa
FYI, activating the phone using the steps above does create an account and assign a phone number. If you put a valid email address, you'll get an email informing you about the prepaid account and phone number. When you log into your account, you'll be notified that your account is past due, and next months payment ($35) is due. Since this is not a postpaid account, I think the only downside of not paying that amount is that you'll lose the number within 120 days. Also, this phone will be tied to your account, so someone else won't be able to activate it.
ROOT method of disabling Hands free Activation--works for Boost phones
1. Follow the method listed above to root the phone, but skip step 28.
2. Open ES File Explorer (or another file manager with root mode) and enable root mode with R/W on /system folder (in left menu).
3. Rename /system/app/LGDMSClient.apk to LGDMSClient.bak