Two Roundtrip Flights w/ Southwest Airlines Premier Credit Card 50k Points w/ $2000 Spent in First 3 Months
Deal DetailsLast Edited by mlacey3 January 8, 2015 at 11:37 AM
Links to individual card offers
Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards(R) Premier Card
Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards(R) Premier Business Card
Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards(R) Plus Card
**Normally there is a Plus Business Card, didn't find one during this round of offers.
Apply for one of the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards(R) Personal or Business Cards and get ready to get away. You'll earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in your first 3 months of opening your account. $69 or $99 annual fee applied to your first billing statement. You'll also receive 3,000 or 6,000 bonus points after your Cardmember Anniversary.
2 points per $1 spent on Southwest Airlines purchases made directly with the airline
2 points per $1 spent on Rapid Rewards(R) Hotel Partner,
Car Rental Partner, and point purchases
1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
3,000 or 6,000 points after your Cardmember Anniversary
No foreign transaction fees on purchases made abroad (Premier cards only)
What are the points worth?
50,000 Rapid Rewards points are worth almost $715 in Wanna Get Away fares
Companion Pass and what is it worth?
By applying for one or both of these cards, and qualifying for your companion pass in January (requires 110,000 Companion Pass eligible points or 100 one-way flights within a single calendar year), your pass would be valid through 2016 because it always lasts the remainder of the year you qualify + the following year. Combined with the points, or on its own, the companion pass is worth as much as you're planning or willing to travel. Effectively you can cut your domestic airfare (for two) in half, or even better if using reward travel.
Here's a great post from Million Mile Secrets on how to get and use the Southwest Companion Pass. [millionmilesecrets
Here are simple instructions for getting the Companion Pass via this deal. In short, you need 110,000 points to get the pass, and once you get it you keep it for ALL of 2015 AND 2016. Then your companion flies free (except govt. taxes/fees), and you only have to use points for ONE ticket.
1. Sign up for Plus AND Premier card. IMPORTANT: these must be in the same name and use the same Rapid Rewards number, or they will go to separate Rapid Rewards accounts and not count towards Companion Pass.
2. Spend $2,000 per card ($4,000 total) within 3 months, including $168 in annual fees ($69 + $99)
3. After spending the $4,000 you will get bonuses from both cards, so that brings you to 104,000 points (50,000 + 50,000 + 4,000 that you spent)
4. Finally, when you earn an additional 6,000 points you will receive Companion Pass status within a few weeks.
5. You must designate who your companion is, and can only change 3 times during the validity of your pass.
6. Your companion will fly FREE (except government tax/fee) with you through the end of 2016! To view instructions on how to book a companion ticket, click here .
- To get the final 6,000 points faster: Use the Southwest Rapid Rewards Shopping Portal when shopping online. Most stores offer 1, 2, even up to 25 points per dollar spent - in addition to the 1 point per dollar you already get by using your card. Sometimes you can get big rewards for signing up for new services (ex: sign up for DirecTV, get 12,500).
So for instance, let's say you are buying a $500 computer from Staples. Their current reward rate is 2 points per dollar. If you buy in-store using your Southwest card, you get 500 points. If you buy online using the Southwest portal, you get 1,500! (1 point per $ on card, 2 points per $ through portal = 3 points per $)
<edit by M6284505>
I just wanted to post my savings, to show anyone who is thinking about doing this but thinking it's not worth it. I had my doubts a few years ago thinking this was a scam or something but then I jumped on it and it works, obviously!
See the attachment on what I have saved so far (I was telling my GF about this). I didn't buy a bunch of junk I didn't need just to get the points, I gave the business card to the GF and I used the personal card. I do spend a bunch at Fry's for computers and stuff so make sure you can cover the $6,000 required to get both bonuses.