Note, there are no contracts included when purchasing this smartphone.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 2.2GHz Processor
- 32GB Internal Memory
- 5.2" IPS Full HD Touch Screen w/ 13MP Rear Facing Camera + 1080p
- 4G LTE Network
- 3000 mAh SIO+ battery
- Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean OS
Editor's Notes & Price Research
Root/TWRP for 24A firmware.
To me, this is a better deal than the eBay deal for the ATT version as this Verizon model has Qi wireless charging built in. If you use it for ATT (MVNO), only a dozen metro areas will get LTE so you'll be limited to HSPA+. I believe it will get LTE on T-Mobile (MVNO). I've been using this phone for a year and it's been great. Currently using XDABBEB's VS982.5 v1.1.0 ROM and it's running great and can consistently get 5 hours of screen on time.
Should I get this phone?
This is a killer deal on a NEW (not refurbed) phone, with full manufacturer warranty. No eBay or 3rd party shenanigans.
But this phone is almost 2 years old!
Yes, the phone was launched in September 2013, but at the time, it had some insane specs. Because of these high end specs, the phone still beats most phones on the market today.
What are some of the standout features?
- Until the S6, it was one of the best Android cameras on the market.
- The battery is above average. Many people can get 2 days out of theirs.
- Wireless charging (Verizon model only!)
- IR blaster (control your audio & video equipment).
- VERY crisp display.
- Very large screen in an easy to manage footprint, thanks to some class-leading bezels.
- Double tap to turn on screen, you can even set a knock code.
- Lollipop is officially available (just released, but make sure to research this, as some people experienced some issues). The Verizon G2 received Lollipop before the Verizon LG G3 (but I doubt it will be getting any more major updates).
- It's also SIM unlocked so you can use it on other carriers besides Verizon (research to see what network bands (HSPA+ and LTE) are available for use on say AT&T or T-Mobile)
Ok ok, so you got my interest. What about other networks?
You'll have to read through the thread (someone please update this answer), but the phone was designed for Verizon networks, so while it might work on other networks, you might not get maximum performance.
How does it stack up against the Samsung Galaxy S6?
The S6 outperforms the LG G2, except for battery life. But you have a choice, pay $200+ for that S6, with a new contract, or pay $200 for the LG G2, and own a high-performance phone outright, while you can wait to see what the new G4 (end of the month) will look like.
How does it stack up against other phones such as the M8, Moto X, ...
Go play with one in the store, Verizon still has them on display. The only reasons NOT to get the LG G2 are:
- You want a pure Android experience (although you can install your own ROM, and the G2 is rootable).
- Need better speakers (HTC M8 probably beats the G2).
- You want Google Now with always-listening support, even when the screen is off (like the Moto X), without an impact on battery.
What about that Moto 360 combo deal?
Best Buy is currently offering $100 off the Moto 360 watch when you buy an Android phone from them. This includes this LG G2. The $100 discount is valid in-store only.
Thread about the Moto 360.
But isn't a new Moto 360 watch coming out soon?
Possibly, there have been some leaked pictures, but even this generation set the bar very high for all smart watches. At $34 if you get both the LG G2 and Moto 360, you aren't really wasting your money.
What about the LG G4 that will be unveiled soon?
It will hopefully be better than the G2 and G3 (The.Dude prefers the G2 over the G3), but you will probably have to pay a lot more than $200 (either via contract, or upfront buy).
Can we get this price even lower?
If you have access to an .edu address, or know someone who does, you can get an additional $25 off the Moto 360 price via Best Buy's college deals. Simply register the e-mail address on bestbuy.com , and wait for the coupons to arrive.
The 10% coupon found in the 'change of address' USPS package at your local post office also works (both online, and in-store).
Will this phone work on PagePlus?
Help! I already placed an order for the LG G2 online on BestBuy.com before I spotted the Moto 360 combo deal.
Good news. Have them process the LG G2 as a return, and redo the whole transaction. Please keep in mind that it will take a few days before the money gets refunded when using a credit card.
Is this phone perfect?
Far from. Some people have reported issues with the digitizer (touch screen), and GPS lock, but many owners are very satisfied.
How do I use this phone with T-Mobile (or how to get rid of the question mark icon)?
Check out this post for more instructions (update: this post has even more details), but it's a very simple process.