Note, this purchase also qualifies for Six Months of Free Pogoplug Unlimited Cloud Storage [details]
- Qualcomm Dual-Core MSM8610 1.2GHz Processor
- 4.5" 800x400 TFT Resolution w/ 5MP Rear Camera
- 4GB Internal Memory (supports up to 32GB microSD)
- 1GB RAM
- 2100 mAh Battery
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat
Editor's Notes & Price Research
This is a CDMA (dual-band/dual-mode) phone. Availability for in-store pickup may vary depending on location - Discombobulated
Price updates in cart.
I bought this last week and have been using it for several days. I just ordered a second. This is an amazing deal, and I will explain why.
The phone is only 4GB and Android 4.4.2 takes up most of that, leaving you with less than 2GB or so for apps, music, etc. However, it has an SD card slot. Android allows you to move apps to SD if the developer elects to allow it, but Google hates microSD slots so many apps (all Google apps IIRC) you use cannot move to SD card, plus it really only moves a portion of the app and leaves a lot on your internal memory. Here is how to get around that:
0. Bypass Verizon activation [On the language choice screen: Volume up, volume down, back, home] or activate if you wish, connect to wifi, log in with your gmail account and allow the phone to update pre-installed apps (this step can be done anytime really).
1. Towelroot the phone (http://towelroot.com) - extremely easy, just click, accept the warnings, just don't forget to immediately install SuperSU. After confirming SuperSU had root I uninstalled towelroot.
2. Partition a 32GB (or smaller if you wish) microSD card on your PC, Mac or Linux. This is also extremely easy, there are step-by-step guides online. I made the first (fat32 for media) partition about 16GB and the second partition (ext4, for apps) about 14GB or so. Trust me this is easier than it sounds.
3. Insert MicroSD card, Install Link2SD app from google play.
4. Move all/most the updated pre-installed app updates (system apps store updates on internal memory like new apps) to the SD card, and enable setting to move all new apps to SD (I left SuperSU, Play Store, Link2SD, Google Play Services and a few other apps on internal memory so they would be available the instant the phone boots - apps on SD card take a few moments to initialize). I never like to have less than 1GB of internal storage free on a phone.
5. You now have a 36GB phone (or wifi-only device).
Note 1 - if you use Amazon Prime music you will have to get the paid version of Link2SD in order to cache prime music on SD.
Note 2 - I installed Sipdroid for free wifi calling using my google voice number. When I have wifi I can send/receive calls. Look for guides on how to do this with pbxes.
Note 3 - On both phones I was able to activate and get data/voice service with no personal information sent and absolutely no payment sent. One phone I activated right out of the box, the other I initially bypassed and then later activated with *228. On both I eventually received a text from Verizon telling me I had received a credit and my plan had been renewed until 1 month from the date of the text.
Note 4 - These work well as dash cams with DailyRoads Voyager.
EDIT TO ADD NOTE: My suggestion is that you do NOT add the $5 to activate (as is instructed below). My phone, and others, have activated and gotten a free month of service with paying NO money. At least one person who added $5 has been charged 20-cents per text link. IMO, you should activate the phone and wait at least a day to see if your service starts working (mine did after 12 hours) and if you get a text message from Verizon telling you that you have service and/or a $45 credit to your account.
You only need to add $5 to activate, no matter which of the plans you pick ($45 or $60). The plan will automatically switch to PAYGO 25¢/minute & 20¢/text & 25¢/MMS. It's in the terms that you've accepted without reading! After 6 months of PAYGO you should be able to use this phone on PagePlus.
"If you have less than your plan fee at the time of renewal on the monthly plans, your rates are: 25¢ per minute, 20¢ per text."
Another viewpoint on activating the phone. May have missed a point, or steps might be out of order slightly so read the below a time or two to get a grasp on what to expect.
No funds are needed to "activate" the LG Optimus Exceed 2 (VS450PP) if you are purchasing from BestBuy. You get the first month free (As it should be) to road test the network.
Secondly, activation is thru the handset itself.
Process is something like:
1: Upon removing the VS450PP from the box the battery should be around 50%.
With battery at above 50% and /or with phone pluged in power up phone, auto activation app will launch.
(* To get it back dial #22898 if you by-passed it). #22898 did not work for me, the correct code is *22898.
2: You will be asked to enter a ZIP code, Select payment method (later), and plan you want ($45 plan confirmed to be FREE the first month)... and that wait for the lady to ask you to create a 4-digit PIN.
(*If system aborts /you hit back button default is rumored to be 0000)
3: After what seems like a LONGGGG time you will be informed a phone number has been assigned (You can also find this number in Menu>Settings>About Phone>Status=)
4: You will receive a welcome text that confirms plan you selected.
At that point phone will be activated, but you have a ZERO balance so calls will be rolled over to V payment center, if you try to send a text you will see a pop-up giving a code 97, and will receive a text saying to add funds. (duh)
Depending on the workload at V the Best Buy Credit for your first months service will post in 12 to 72hrs.
First phone I activated was the 15th (Sat), the $45 credit did not post till the morning of the 18th (Tuesday)
Second phone I activated was done the 18th around 2:00am..... At 10:45 am I got:
"VZW FREE MSG: $45 3G UNL. TALK, TXT 1GB BNDL has been renewed and will expire on 09/17/2015"
*Notice the part about pay being renewed and a date is given 30-days out)
2015-08-19 the next day a couple of minutes before noon got a txt that said:
"Free Verizon Msg: Great news! We've added a $45 credit to your account for buying a new VZW prepaid smartphone at BestBuy & making your first payment."
Upon getting the messages the phone is active.
TIP:Fastest way to check to see if credit has possibly posted to account prior to receiving above texts is to try sending a TEXT... if text goes thru phone is active.
Hope the above clarifies the process.
Towelroot it and install the newest TWRP recovery which can be found here . Verified working (from cold boot) on several of these myself