Best Buy: Trade-in a Working Tablet for $50 off Galaxy Tab S2 + Minimum EXPIRED
Note, valid though 9/25/2015. Some exclusions apply. E-readers and Nook are ineligible. For tablets worth more than the minimum $50 gift card, the trade-in value will vary.
Editor's Notes & Price Research
Refer to the wiki post and forum thread for full terms and conditions as well as discussion about the promotion. -johnny_miller
It's that time again! For those who missed the last tablet trade-in promotion, another good opportunity has come to trade in those old and unwanted tablets for a minimum $50 Best Buy gift card. The best use for this comes from trading in a tablet that would otherwise be "worth" less than $50 in trade-in or resale value.
Link to promo thanks to SlickDealio
Link to previous Tablet Trade-In Promotional processes/deal
CONFIRMED STILL ALIVE
"According to the website the promo end on the 26th. But some people have mentioned seeing posters in some stores that mention the end date as the 16th."
Quote :Valid 8/26/15-9/26/15. Coupon redemption valid through 10/3/15. In store only. Get a minimum $50 gift card for trade-in of any working tablet. Upon trade-in of a qualified tablet, a trade-in coupon for $50 toward a new Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet will print with the trade in receipt. Excludes the Barnes and Noble Nook and e-readers. Not all products are eligible for trade-in. Not available in all locations and some stores may have additional limitations. Trade-in value may vary. Condition, documentation and accessories may affect value. Payment is by Best Buy gift card. You are responsible for removing any data from your product before providing the product for evaluation. You will be required to agree to the terms & conditions. Best Buy reserves the right to refuse any trade-in or to limit quantities for any reason. Limit of 2 trade-ins per person. No rainchecks. Tax applied to the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet is applied based on the full retail value. Limit 1 coupon per transaction. See a Customer Specialist for details.
- They do not accept any Nooks, including the Color & HD/+, or grayscale Kindles like the paperwhite, or any tablet listed as an e-reader or e-writer in their trade-in database.
- Boogie Boards are newly excluded by name.
- Check your item in the Online Trade-In Database before you go to see if it is considered an e-reader/writer.
- Color Kindle Fires of all generations should be allowed.
- If you are trading in a new item in shrinkwrap, it's best to open it. The promo assumes you are trading in an old item for new, and some stores have given traders grief over accepting sealed items.
- The CS Rep will log into the trade-in application via your customer profile in either their CoreBlue or ETK system. They will ask for your phone number and/or e-mail in order to do this. This should be to determine if your item should receive more than the minimum $50. It is a good idea to check the value online before you go.
- If the CS Rep finds your item, there will be a list of current offers & promotions that will appear on her screen to pick from. This promo will be called something like "Min $50 on Any Working Tablet 8/26-9/26." S/he should choose this promo. If your item is worth more than $50, your gift card will be in the higher amount. If your Item has a value of $0 - $49 in the trade-in application, the promo will add value so that the gift card will equal exactly $50.
- 9/1/15 --IMPORTANT: BEST BUY SOFTWARE HAS BEEN UPDATED AND THE RECYCLE OPTION WAS NOT SHOWING ON SCREENS 8/30-31. BEST BUY CORPORATE CUSTOMER SERVICE HAS CONFIRMED THIS WAS A GLITCH AND THAT THE OPTION SHOULD NOW BE AVAILABLE. IF YOU ARE REFUSED THE PROMO BECAUSE YOUR TABLET IS NOT IN THE DATABASE, SEE THE CONTACTING BEST BUY SECTION BELOW ON HOW TO PROCEED.
If the CS Rep does not find your item in the database, the item should be processed as a Recycle - there is a "Recycling My Electronics" button at the bottom of the Trade-In Application that they need to select on their screen. They should then click on "Tablets", and enter the serial number and model number when prompted. The unconditional offer "Min $50 on Any Working Tablet 8/26-9/26" should show up on their screen as an option they can choose after they start entering your tablet's information. HERE is a link to an internal Best Buy document which described how this process worked when certain models of iPhone were not in the database but eligible for a gift card last year.
- The CS Rep is prompted to enter the item's serial number during electronics trade-ins. Your trade will go much easier if the number is clearly visible on the outside of the device. If only visible in a menu when the item is on, try going into that menu and writing the number down in advance; the rep may still need to see it directly on the device but you may get lucky. If your generic tablet has no serial number on the device (usually in the Settings/About Tablet menu for Android tablets) bring the box with a serial number sticker or affix the serial number to the back of the unit using a labelmaker sticker.
- YMMV on whether the rep actually turns on the unit, demands accessories, etc. It is best to bring the cable/charger, but not to give them up unless asked. It is rare for the rep to check to see if the charger is the correct one for the tablet (unless the unit will not turn on and the rep plugs it in to see if it powers up). It is also rare for the rep to check for issues the tablet may have beyond whether the screen is cracked or the item will not turn on.
- If the rep tries to argue that the item is not in the list of tradeable stuff or has a value of zero, point out the "any tablet" and "guaranteed minimum $50" language in the promotion's terms -- it helps to bring a printout of the web page describing the promo on bestbuy.com.
- If you see a Geek Squad employee helping out at the CS desk, you may wish to wait as they will usually take longer to ascertain the condition of your trade-ins and be more picky over flaws that are not supposed to stop an item that powers on and has no water damage from being accepted. YMMV.
- The CS Rep will also ask (at a minimum - see below for additional info that may be required) for your Driver's License/State picture ID, e-mail and phone. Your e-mail, address and phone will be displayed on the signature touchpad screen afterwards and you will be asked to confirm it. A picture of the item(s) you are trading in will also be taken with the scan device attached to the rep's computer. When the gift card is generated, it will be a regular BB gift card (whatever random style they have available) and a copy of the disclaimer they have you sign about the items being yours to trade in and that BB is not responsible for data left on devices or data loss.
- You will get one $50 gift card per tablet and one $50 coupon per trade-in transaction. DO NOT let the rep tell you you only get one or the other. If you want to be sure of getting one gift card and coupon per tablet, only trade in one tablet at a time.
- The terms say limit 2 per person with no further detail on 2 per visit or 2 per promo. Limits are enforced by the rep and no SDer has been stopped from trading more at different times or locations because of info in Best Buy's database so far.
- You are not obligated to use the gift card(s) to buy a Galaxy Tab S2; you can buy anything Best Buy sells with it. If your CS Rep insists you have to buy a Galaxy Tab S2 at the same time you trade in a tablet, refuse and try another location/CS rep at a different time, or post a complaint on the Best Buy Unboxed corporate customer service website (links below). Unboxed calls or e-mails the store manager to correct the situation so you can return and trade without issues.
- If you don't want a BB gift card, you used to be able to use it to buy a Kindle gift card. This will allow you to buy anything on Amazon. Best Buy had phased out selling Kindle gift cards in their stores last Christmas but recently started again, so check around the Kindle display if you don't want to buy anything else. BB gift cards can't be used to buy BB Visa GCs per their rules, but it is up to the rep (not their system) to enforce that rule.
- You have from 8/26-9/26 to trade in tablets for the gift card and coupon. You have until 10/3 to use the Galaxy Tab S2 50 coupon. Gift cards do not expire.
- You can only use one $50 coupon on one Galaxy Tab S2. You are not supposed to be able to use any other coupon, and they will not let you price match -- but YMMV from sales rep to sales rep as far as allowing a second coupon that is not a second $50 Galaxy Tab S2 coupon. Nothing in Best Buy's system will stop a rep from stacking edu and movers coupons if they are willing to do it.
- The $50 coupon is not supposed to be used for open box items but on rare occasions a rep will allow it.
- The $50 coupon cannot be used online.
- The $50 coupon no longer has the name of the trader on it, only a transaction number, so it can be given to another to use.
- You can use any number of gift cards and rewards certificates in conjunction with the $50 coupon. The coupon is deducted first, then the certificates, then tax is added, then you pay for the remaining amount with the gift cards, credit or cash.
BIG YMMV (variance from store to store and rep to rep!)
- Abydos 7" 8GB ICS Tablet
- Acer Aconia A100
- Apex EMDOOR EM63 7" HD Internet Tablet
- Archos 101 Internet Tablet (G8 version with 8GB)
- Archos 80 Turbo Tablet with 16GB Memory (value in BB DB at time of trade = $57)
- Azpen A700
- Azpen A701
- Azpen A727
- Benq S6 Mobile Internet Device
- Blackberry Playbook 7" 16GB Tablet - Wi-Fi
- Coby Kyros
- Craig Tablet (sold at CVS)
- Cruz Reader (R100)
- Cube U18GT Elite 7"
- Dell Venue 8 Pro
- Double Power (dopo) EM63
- Ematic 7" HD (EGQ307BL) @ BB in West Nyack, NY
- Ematic 7" Genesis 2 (EGS114) on 4/12/15 @ Store 1088
- Funtab 7
- Google Nextbook 7"
- Google Nexus 7 (2012) (1st Gen)
- Google Nexus 7 (2nd Gen) 16 GB
- Hisense Sero 7 LT (E270BSA)
- HKC 8" P886K
- HP TouchPad 32Gb (Worth more than $50 on eBay)
- HP Stream 7
- HTC Flyer
- Idea USA 4Gb Tablet (Password Locked)
- Insignia Tablets - All Models (Insignia is a Best Buy-owned company)
- iRulu Andriod Tablet
- JLab Pro 7
- Kindle Fire (1st Gen)
- Kindle Fire HD 7"
- Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (2012)
- Lenovo A1207
- Mach Speed Technologies Stealth Lite (TRIO43MID40C) @ BB in West Nyack, NY
- Mach Trio Eclipse 4.3" Tablet (from Sears)
- Mach Trio Stealth
- Mach Trio Stealth Pro 9.7"
- Motorola Xoom
- Nobis 7" 8GB Tablet
- Nokia 770
- Nokia N800
- Nokia N810
- Pandigital Novel 7" Wireless Color LCD eReader (PRD07T10WWH7) *** (Best Buy lists a similar black version, PRD07T20WBL1, as an e-reader, but not the white)
- Pandigital (Planet, 7" Tablet)
- Polaroid PTAB7200
- Proscan PLT4311 @ BB in Vernon Hills, IL & 86/Lexington NYC
- Proscan PLT7602G
- Proscan PLT9609G (not in BB system, process as return for GC & coupon)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 (1st Gen)
- Sharp Mobilon Touchpad PV-6000 (Windows CE)
- Skytex Skypad Alpha
- Sony Dash
- Sungale CyberUs (4.3") (Device does NOT have the serial number on device under Settings -> About Tablet. Need to bring box and hope the CSR will take that serial number underneath the UPC...so this is YMMV)
- Viewsonic G-tablet
- Visual land prestige 7 inch
- Visual Land Prestige Elite 7Q 7"
- Vizio Vtab
- WinBook TW700
- Zeki 8 inch 8 gb
Best Buy forums
Register, post a message including what happened, the tablet you have for trade and the store location. They will call the store and make them honor the promo. This may take a few days so be patient.
Some who were told the item had to be in the Trade-In database or whose BB locations' Rep's interpretations of the terms of trade were way off have
-- Contact Best Buy via Facebook (http://www.facebook.co
-- tweeted @BestBuySupport with the store number with a promise that said store will be set straight on correct terms of the trade
-- posted a message on Best Buy Customer Support which privately messages posters with resolutions after contacting the problematic stores.
In your tweet or post, include the store address/city and/or store number if you have it, so the corporate CS rep can identify the store manager they have to contact. The people who answer the tweets are the same staff who read the message board posts, and they usually work from 10-6 central time, so if you post at night you may not get an answer until the next day.
******* Here is a link to a post on the CS forum where a rep spells out that a Surface Pro 3 purchase is not required at the time of the trade, plus items not in the trade-in database should be accepted. You may wish to print it out and bring with in case of an argument.
PAWN/SECOND-HAND DEALER LAWS (VARY FROM CITY/COUNTY):
You will be asked to show Photo ID for all trade-in transactions - no exceptions. The ID will tie you to the trade-in transaction if there is an investigation into stolen goods by law enforcement, as will the receipt you sign at the end of all trade-in transactions.
Select cities or counties may have more stringent ID procedures, including:
- Taking an electronic fingerprint image of the trader with a USB reader
- Requiring that the trader bring proof of original purchase via receipt
- Requiring that the trader bring proof of original purchase receipt specifically from Best Buy
SO LOOK UP YOUR BEST BUY LOCATION in the Store Locator to see what the requirements are before you go. On your store's page there will be a link that says "See trade-in guidelines" under a Trade-In header
Here are some of the gift cards they sell.
I personally didn't see any eBay gift cards but the most useful ones I guess would be the gas cards, Shell and BP
This is in Northern NJ, Totowa