Revamped Desktop Search Feedback Thread - New Relevancy Upgrades [2/23/2016]
For a long time, users have given us feedback that our on-site search experience needed some love. With the redesign, we're given an opportunity to improve on it and make it a lot better. Today marks the first step in making a much more awesome search experience. We're happy to announce that on the redesigned version of Slickdeals we've cleaned up the search experience and added two new features (out of many, many more improvements planned).
We're rolling it out over the next couple of weeks, so not all users will get it right away, but we're doing this to ensure we catch all the bugs.
This thread discusses the new features and changes available on the desktop version of the website - our mobile apps or mobile website have not been changed... yet!
Here are a few highlights of what's changed:
- We've cleaned up the page - a lot. We did some analysis to see what people used and what they didnt, got rid of some fluff and as a result, we have a much cleaner page - and results appear closer to the top of the page.
- We cleaned up the ads! Its a reality of life that Slickdeals needs ads to support the website, but that doesnt mean we have to let them dictate the design of the page. That being said, we've cleaned up the ads, so they are less obnoxious and take up less space. We're also going to experiment with a new ad provider that will show much more relevant results (for instance if you're searching for laptops, we'll show laptop deals at select retailers - that way we'll always have something for you).
- Price Filters Beta - Finally, we have support to filter by price. When a deal makes Popular status, our staff tries to ensure that they all get tagged with prices, and we'll try to improve that in the future by asking users to add the price when submitting a deal. Minimum, Maximum, or ranges! Give it a shot! We also have a new Price column so you can easily see it, and the ability to sort by prices.
- Hide Expired Deals - Recently, we added the ability to easily see which deals are expired, which was a feature that should've been obvious. The next step is the ability to filter out all expired deals too!
- Deep linking to coupons - In the past, when you clicked on coupon search results, you'd just get taken to the Slickdeals Store page for that merchant. Now we'll pop up the right coupon and show you the code so you dont have to hunt for it. This might be more of a bug fix
- Better synonym dictionaries - For instance, we'll be adding synonyms for "television" to "tv", etc so that search results find more of what you're looking for. If you come across any searches that could be improved by a new synonym, please let us know!
- Advanced Smart Filtering (Faceted Navigation) - This took us some time to release, but we now can offer the ability to have smarter filters in search results. Now when you search for a term, such as "laptops", we will now display all the relevant categories, stores, and brands that appear within that result set with the number of results that match as well! You can easily filter to a specific category, brand, or store simply by checking the box next to the desired filter.
- New! (02/01/16) Reworked Relevancy Algorithms - We released a totally revamped and significantly smarter "Relevancy" sort option. Some users may see this be the default sort option for searches as we test it out. It takes into account relevancy, age of thread, score, and more factors to present the best deals at the top!.
- Better Filtering for Specs - For a long time, users have also asked for the ability to filter by specs. We have limited support for it now, but soon we'll be adding things like color, screen size, etc as supported filters so that you can soon ask our search to return tvs with screens > 50" for instance. We're real excited about this too!
- Typo correction, auto suggest and more - We're also working on the ability to help fix typos automatically, as well as smarter auto-suggest features!
- weird delay in content appearing in results.
- Sorting by time of last post does not work
- Counts might be off in the tabs.
- Price and Rating Columns need to go away when they don't apply (ie in discussion forum searches).
- Easy link to Store pages missing. These will return soon!
- Search in Thread now working properly in Redesign!
- Fixed issues with ! and - as well as handling dashes.
- Fixed issue with links to posts in search