Online Appliance and HVACR help for SD members
My expertise comes from 30 years of doing the work and 20 plus of running and owning an appliance and HVACR company.
All I ask of you is to follow these rules and suggestions:
Remember to include your model and serial numbers in your post!
I can't tell you how many times loungers ask me for help repairing their appliance and they either give me a bad model number or none at all. Without a valid model number, I can't look up diagrams or find out anything about your appliance. So, here are:
1. Ye shall read the model number directly off the manufacturer's tag affixed to the appliance., not from the owners guide!
2. Ye shall use these diagrams to help you locate the manufacturer's tag if you are having trouble.
Window Air Conditioners
Stove or oven
3. Ye shall speak of the Brand Name
4. Ye shall mention if the appliance is electric or gas (natural or LPG [propane])
5. Ye shall speak of the configuration of the offending machine ie.side by side, front load
6. Ye shall speak precisely of the problem. not just it's broke , it doesn't work
7. Ye shall understand that I may ask for pictures if possible
8. Ye shall know and understand that I am doing this on line, So I may ask you to do a check on something. I have no idea how handy you are or what your abilities are, So you are doing these checks on your own responsibility. If you feel that it is beyond your ability , PLEASE let me know! BikerEric nor SlickDeals assumes any responsibility for your aptitude or abilities
9. Ye shall not blame BE if his diagnostics might be not be correct
10. Ye shall offer up thy praises in the form of reps or better yet as a donation to a local charity
11. Ye shall keep this tread "chit-chat" free and on topic
Please understand that I am very opinionated about brands and manufacturers . My opinions come my experience on working on these units and my dealing with the manufacturers. I scan the newspaper ads weekly to see who has the best price for the best products! I am not a pricing service. I do not work for or have any support from the manufacturers or from the dealers!
1 Ye shall explain what appliance you are replacing
2 Ye shall explain in detail what you would like to buy or purchase
3 Ye shall understand that my questions to you ( while seemingly personal) are to help you realize whether an appliance will work for you.
Current Appliance Rebates and Forms
Appliance Recalls updated when recalls are announced.
Links to repairs:
Frozen Drain Line
Cleaning a Condensing Unit
Cleaning you refrigerator's fan and coil
Testing Whirlpool Modular Style IceMaker
Why BE does NOT recommend Front Load Washing Machines
Replace door cam on sxs refrigerator door
6 Ways to avoid appliance problems
How to replace a Kenmore/Whirlpool/Roper/KitchenAid/Kirkland Automatic Washing Machine Coupler
How to install a Kenmore/Whirlpool/KitchenAid/Kirkland Automatic Washing Machine Lid Switch
The back of a whirlpool electric dryer
How to replace the defrost heater(s) , defrost termination tstat and defrost timer in a GE SxS refrigerator
still under construction
July 12, 2010, 3:24 pm: System Notice: This thread has been automatically renewed after reaching a post limit. Most of its content has been moved to this thread for reference purposes.