Avoiding used car sales tax
Can we get a simple answer on how to avoid car sales tax as much as possible? It might be state-specific so just post a brief from your state.
Seems like it generally goes like this:
1. Find an out of state dealer who is willing to sell the car without collecting tax (or who will agree that you will be registering it in a no car sales tax state like OR)
2. Purchase the car with your temp tag (usually only about $20, based on FL)
3. Mail-in registration to a no car sales tax state (need info here - what do these states require to register and how to satisfy that)?
4. Use this tag for a while until you are exempt from transferring the registration to your final state.
5. Do a registration transfer to your final state.