We have about 25 machines; replacing one every 2 months on average.They must have the numeric keyboard. I've been buying 15.6" screens, non-touch. Weight isn't an issue as few are used for mobile users. Many users have a secondary display via HDMI (no HDMI, no deal!).
Our most recent order was for a couple of Dell Mobile Precision 3510 laptops. Some basic specs:
- 8 gb RAM
- AMD FirePro W5130M. Previous machines used Core i5
- 500 gb hard drive - this isn't critical since nearly everything is stored on the server
- Win7 downgrade - we can't go to Win10 yet due to some of our software
The software we typically use:
- Sage 300 (accounting software)
- Quick Bid and On-Screen Takeoff (both estimating software)
- Office Home and Business (we only use Excel, Word, Outlook)
The estimating software is probably the demanding as far as resources go, followed by the accounting software. Some users have massive Outlook file sizes, regardless of how much I ask them to clean out their email.
We've been paying around $1,100 to $1,200 per machine including Office, plus tax. It seems like we could do better. Any suggestions? We're not married to Dell (though I think Dell is screwing us ).