Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (3rd Ed) Core Set $54.99 + shipping @ Cool Stuff Inc
Thread DetailsLast Edited by jersharocks June 27, 2016 at 06:20 AM
This is discounted as a part of Cool Stuff Inc's Midsummer Nights Dream Sale (June 20 - 26) which can help you get to the "Free shipping for a purchase of $100 or more" level. I went with Runebound at @ 34.99 and Star Wars Force and Destiny Beginners Box @ 16.99 , but honestly prices here are almost universally cheaper than Amazon when factoring out shipping.
This has been out of print for some time now (2+ years) and there was some discussion as to whether it would ever be reprinted since the 3rd edition line is end of life and it was stuck in "Awaiting Reprint/At the Printer" for almost a year. As such, there was some serious price gouging at places like Amazon and Ebay where the price hovered around $130.
As a final note, for those of you not familiar with Warhammer, this is the Pen and Paper RPG set in the "Old World" (dark fantasy, grey vs black). Here are some of my Pros and Cons to help decide whether this is right for you:
- Great dice mechanics! The dice results for each roll can help the GM tell the story (like reading the bones / bone divination)
- Everything you need to play is in this box.
- Cards make it easy to manage character creation and advancement. All your abilities are right in front of you. I believe that you even get 3 character folios to house all your cards and such between sessions.
- IMO, not the easiest RPG to jump into on a whim. Knowing the lore and setting really help (though some of that storytelling fluff - I believe - comes in the box).
- For the Pen and Paper Purist, this may feel much like a distasteful P&P / Board Game hybrid with all the chits, cards, and custom dice. (This is actually a pro for me, since it feels like you get more "stuff")
- Expansions are quite expensive and difficult to get your hands on. Also digital scans of books really won't do it for you like other P&P RPGs. Largely because the game is dependent on the cards that also come in expansion box.