- Shuttle NC01U5 Mini Barebone System (Black)
- 256GB SanDisk Z400s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive SSD (SD8SBAT-256G-1122)
- 8GB Crucial (1x8GB) 1600 DDR3L Laptop Memory (CT102464BF160B)
Editor's Notes & Price Research
Limit is 5 per customer. Please refer to the forum thread for all internal discussion - Discombobulated
NewEgg posted this combo and its back in stock at $288. Good deal I think on a 5th Generation i5 nano computer with 256GB SSD and 8GB ram included.
Another alternative combo is now available at $282 with a Corsair 240gb SSD. - now $293 Hopefully one of the 2 will remain in stock. Nice find on this alternative RobertG.
They lowered the price on the Shuttle NC01U5 bare bones to $250 for the 4th sale and have returned to this price.
The bundle is a much better deal, it includes a SanDisk Z400 2.5" 256GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Reg $65) and 8 GB single stick Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM (PC3L 12800) memory (reg $28) for $37 more.
Good price on a modern i5 mini pc with 2 memory slots and both M.2 and 2.5" SSD support.
NOTE: this deal was posted last week but expired and is back. Newegg stock bounces in and out.
Thanks to ChesterA and RCBoosted for noticing its back in stock.
Original Thread is here.
I have purchased 1 and configured and its fast and quite quiet, though not as well built as the Intel Nucs
1. Be cautious and review the quick install guide - The chassis is built of thin plastic and comes apart differently than most kits. You reveal and remove only 2 screws on the bottom to open the chassis and reading the guide is the only way to figure which 2. You will be upset if you snap off part of the chassis cause you used too much force or pried up on the wrong thing.
2. Install components in the order the guide prescribes. If you are just using the combo parts you are fine, everything goes on the top side of the motherboard. BUT, if you need access to the 2nd memory slot or the M.2 SSD slot they are on the reverse side of the motherboard. To get to the back of the board you must remove a screw that is underneath where the 2.5" SSD sits...so you cannot install the SSD first and then get to Memory Slot 2 and the SSD. Install the 2nd Memory chip (if you get 1) and M.2 first. Then the 2.5. (this combo only has 1 chip and no M.2 so unless you are adding more stuff this will not matter to you).
3. The 2.5" SSD requires an included mounting bracket and ribbon connector. Check the guide to see which side of the ribbon faces up (silver side up) and on which side of the SSD to put the bracket. They will not work the other way. If you are not experienced with ribbon connectors installing them upside down or not fully seating them is probably the easiest way to screw up the connections.
4. If you are installing components on the underside the guide suggests you unplug the tiny Wifi antenna wires temporarily. I hate messing with those wires, so I just removed the screw from the Wifi/Bluetooth card and unplugged it with the wires attached. Much easier I think.