Keep having issues with Kaspersky lately
The issue is with the update rebate where you send in a copy of the box top with the original UPC from the main rebate. You also mail in prior copy of software CD or manual.
Since I've been doing these rebates, I have had no issues at all and now all of a sudden there are problems with them not receiving certain info I mailed in and I haven't changed a thing about how I'm submitting them.
Everything is sent in one envelope per rebate number so how are they getting some info but missing other info when everything is in the same envelope?
They don't inform me that something is missing until I notice it on my spreadsheet that I hadn't been paid. I then call and ask about it and then they tell me what they are missing.
They are always missing the copy of the software CD that I sent in and the copy of UPC on box top. I always make a point to circle several times that UPC on the copy to make sure they see it. It makes no sense. I ask them about it and how it's happening more frequently now and they act like I don't know what I'm talking about.
So they give me a fax website to send in the missing info and I fax over what they say they are missing and everything is fine and I get paid. It just puzzles me how only part of the documents that are in the envelope are getting to them all of a sudden.
I'm just going to have to start calling them after I send my update rebates to make sure they have everything that was mailed to them. Crazy. Maybe they hired someone that opens envelopes all day and they get bored so as a joke they toss some papers in the trash for kicks. lol