Thread DetailsLast Edited by jersharocks September 21, 2016 at 05:27 AM
2nd generation (2015)
This is for Freedompop GSM
Free store pickup.
Weight: 5.11 oz
Screen Size: 4.5" touchscreen display
Talking Time: 14 hours
Battery Type: 2390 mAH Li-Ion Battery
Memory: 1GB RAM/8GB ROM
Processor: 1.2 GHz Quad Core Processor
Operating System: Android™ 5.1
These steps are for a brand new, stock (unrooted) phone.
1. Remove Boost Mobile sim, insert Freedompop, and boot phone.
2. On setup screen, select English USA (this worked for me, other choices may work too)
3. Turn off wi-fi.
4. Go to Settings and select Data Usage. Cell Data toggles on automatically.
5. Back to Settings select More, then Mobile Networks
6. Click on Network Mode, opens popup Preferred Network Mode - select Automatic
7. Click 2 or 3 times on Roaming Settings and then more options will appear below
8. Check Allow GSM Data
9. Back at Settings go to Data Usage and open the menu at the top
10. On this drop-down menu, select Cellular Networks (Roaming should already be on but if not, toggle it on.)
11. Click on Access Point Names and add the Freedompop name and apn freedompop.foggmobile.com
12. Then click on menu and Save.
13. Select Freedompop and look for 3G icon in upper right of screen. If it doesn't appear, reboot. The Network Signal Info Pro app shows this "3G" as HSPA+ 42.2 Mbps (42.2 Mbps is the top speed this technology is capable of, not the local connection speed)
One or two updates will be offered.
25.11.25 fixes Stagefright 21.3 mb. Can download via cellular.
25.11.26 is about 13 mb and can only be downloaded via wi-fi or sideloaded. I have read that this update broke bluetooth tethering on phones on Ringplus.
If after following all the above steps, u still dont connect to FP, do the following to reflash the modem and clear modem cache:
- Grab modem from here . Get the surnia boost one, something like: M8916_2020610.17.03.21.26R. Extract the zip into some folder - u should see a NON-HLOS.bin file.
- Enable Developer options on ur phone by tapping build number in About phone for 7 times. After that, enable usb debugging.
- Install minimal adb/fastboot if you dont already have it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/s...?t=2317790
- Install moto drivers: http://www.motorola.co
- open a command window in the folder where u extracted the modem, Connect ur phone and accept the RSA prompt on ur phone for debugging. Run Code:
adb reboot bootloader
- The phone should drop down to bootloader. Now run the following:
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin fastboot erase modemst1 fastboot erase modemst2 fastboot reboot
- Should boot back up and give it a few mins - service shows up (provided u were able to add the APN etc as in the original instructions).
This post can be edited by most users to provide up-to-date information about developments of this thread based on user responses, and user findings. Feel free to add, change or remove information shown here as it becomes available. This includes new coupons, rebates, ideas, thread summary, and similar items.