I have a question for those who have this card/program. Are there any useful gift cards that are available on an ongoing basis? By useful I mean places like Walmart, Lowes, JCPenny, etc... places that you might regularly shop at and spend large amounts of money. I'm not talking about the occasional special deals they have either, since it sounds like they are almost impossible to get in on. Just the ones that are available all the time. The program only seems worthwhile if gift cards are available for the big department/grocery stores (or maybe gas cards).
I know I'm not being very helpful, but I found out long ago the best deal is to stay away from Shitibank. I am loving my Fidelity card.... 1.5% cashback (deposited into my Fidelity account) on everything I purchase.
I forgot all about the fact I have some hundreds (or hell, maybe even thousands) of dollars in that crap... I remember looking at it before and seeing absolutely NOTHING of value... Nor even an option to "donate" this worthless currency...
There were a few ok dining deals in the area, $10 off $40 etc... entertainment book type deals B1G1. From the breadth and types of offers, I'm guessing that Entertainment book is their partner for these...
Discount on movie-ticket packs is 36% (under gift cards), but this is equivalent to ebay price.
I'd rather a different rewards program.
Also, I could not find anything in the T&C, but I assume when you purchase through the site, that purchase is not eligible for ExtraCash; meaning purchasing a $100 GC externally would get you 10% extra, but when you go through the site, effectively ~5%. The GCs can be had cheaper at plasticjungle anyways... and you still get the worthless 10% back.
Hotel deals seem reasonable, though few places available compared to Hotwire, Hotels.com, Kayak.
Example: Crowne Plaza San Jose Corobici 10/15-10/17
Hotels.com, Kayak, etc. 93-159/nt
Tax / service fees are roughly the same on both sites:
Hotels.com total: $359.34
ExtraCash total: $298.34
With hotels.com 10 nt = 1 free. I'll estimated value of one night ~ $15. (Disclaimer: I have no idea how this prog works, but the commercials make it sound easy)
Also 5% shopdiscover, another $17.97 cashback.
Best guess equivalent value w/ perks: ~311.34 @ hotels.com
Most expensive uses $31 extracash. Assuming you had earned money on a 1% cashback card instead, that's equivalent to $3.10/nt or $6.10 total.
You can use any Visa/MC/Amex to book at ExtraCash, so assuming you do get at least 1% reward, that knocks the $6.10 'cost' down to $3.12.
So at least the ExtraCash is not completely worthless...
How It Works
1. Sign up for a hotels.com account and enroll for welcomerewards™ by clicking HERE or calling 800-2-HOTELS (800-246-8357). Already have a hotels.com account? Log-in and join welcomerewards™ from your ’My Account’ page.
2. Sign in to your account BEFORE you book a property at hotels.com. If you’re booking at 800-2-HOTELS (800-246-8357), tell our customer care agent that you’re a welcomerewards™ member.
3. Credits towards a free night are automatically added to your account after you complete your stay. You can check your account balance by signing in to your hotels.com account and checking your welcomerewards™ Activity page, or by calling 800-2-HOTELS (800-246-8357). 4. After you have booked and stayed a total of 10 nights at one or more partner hotels, you’ll automatically be awarded a free night at one of our partner properties. The maximum value of your free night is the average daily rate of your ten nights.
5. You can choose to use your free night for a higher rate room if you pay the difference.
6. Simply log into your account before making a booking, and you will be given the option to use your free night. You can also book your free night by calling 800-2-HOTELS (800-246-8357).
Terms and Conditions
Revised Effective March 9, 2010
As much as I hate Discover Card at least they let you spend all of the bonus bucks you earn at one time. Every year I get a free Buca de Beppo dinner for all of the hundreds of dollars I give Discover.
Slickdeals is able to share the best deals because of the contributions of users like you! If you found a great deal,
please share it with others by posting in our forums.
Welcome to Slickdeals!
Save money here by finding the lowest and cheapest price, best deals and bargains, and hot coupons. We're all about
community driven bargain hunting with thousands of free discounts, promo codes, reviews and price comparisons.
Don't worry, we'll help you find your way. If you haven't already, check out this
that explains the features of our site.