You last visited: Today at 01:05 AM
|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|12-12-2012 05:40 PM|
|12-11-2012 07:20 PM|
trying out the new toy i received this morning. loving the screen and weight but not sure if i can live without play store and root.
oh btw responding from the fire hd
|12-11-2012 06:39 PM|
|enfer||missed out :/ would have liked the front camera for skype even if it's low quality.|
|12-11-2012 06:38 PM|
|LosGuys||I received a delivery notice for tomorrow. Shipping more quickly than I thought. Especially since the Amazon page says they won't be in stock until Dec 17th. They must have cleared a bunch out with this deal.|
|12-11-2012 11:32 AM|
|dcnorm29||Why not the Nook instead? I know that some will say that the kindle looks better, but the Nook seems to have just as many great features and the Nook has a micro sd card slot.|
|12-11-2012 11:29 AM|
Could care less about a camera on a tablet. My Note 2, GS3, Photon and epic all have cameras to skype if need be. Otherwise you're just a complete tool taking pics on a tablet unless you're alone in your house. These cameras are crap to begin with. More than likely your phone's camera is better anyway.
I'm still living with my tab 8.9. Was tempted, but there isn't a 9" tablet on the market that holds a candle to the galaxy tab 8.9 in size, thinnness and weight. None of these mfg's get it. We want 9" tablets because they are smaller and lighter than 10" tablets and Samsung set the standard. Both book store tabs are still closer to the best 10" tabs in size than they are the tab 8.9. Shame. Lenovo is the hugest offender of them all.
|12-11-2012 05:36 AM|
|12-11-2012 12:09 AM|
|Bigredhunk||I wonder if they extended it or if they're just slow in pulling it. Almost 2:30 AM (12:30 Pacific) and the deal is still showing at checkout.|
|12-11-2012 12:01 AM|
|12-10-2012 10:53 PM|
1. CM10 is now available in beta on that micro-SDXC card that's absent from the Kindle, so you can run rooted Nook at 32 GB or CM10 with 64 GB.
2. Like the Tablet vs. Fire comparison, screen is overall slightly better than Amazon's, even if you were to excluding Nook's 256 dpi vs 254 dpi for Fire HD
3. In my testing the 32 GB version with AnTuTu I ended up with a score slightly over 9000 excluding the SD card score; Antutu for the Kindle HD has been reported around 7900. So, call it roughly 10% faster.
1. The lousy B&N marketplace. The lack of Prime HD content is a downer, since it's available, just in SD as if you were playing stuff on your PC. (Fortunately, I can stream Prime to my TV or Tivo if I really want to see their 'HD').
2. The funky requirements to get it rooted properly and run non-B&N apps - Linux knowledge helps quite a bit.
3. Lack of camera and HDMI output and the latest funky cable, although at least they have Bluetooth so don't have to live off the Micro SD port like previous Nooks.
Speakers. Listened to both, and honestly, they're both pretty meh despite stereo versus hidden stereo.
For me, though, while I really thought I'd be buying a Kindle this round, I'm now on my third Nook.
The combination of price and performance along with having my own substantial library of existing content (from Tivo and WMV and Blurays) that I can and do prefer to play locally really sold me. That micro SD card really does count especially at 64 GB, enough for a few movies (yes, it plays 1080p, just not DTS, sorry downloaders, gotta remux it) on a long plane ride.
And the 32 GB was going for $259 with that coupon a few weeks ago, versus the Fire 8.9 32 GB still running $334 w/o offers today.
Fire though is probably worth the premium unless you like to tweak. If the latter, Nook is probably better bang for the buck.
|12-10-2012 10:47 PM|
|12-10-2012 10:31 PM|
|12-10-2012 10:25 PM|
|Taiqui||If I hadn't already picked up an open box 32GB iPad 3 for $325... I would be all over this deal. Imagine combining Amex/Best Buy $20 for $200 statement credit along with the $50 for $100 Halo 4 Spartan Ops and the 10% Best Buy gift card deal for buying Kindle Gift cards... that's $160 for the 16 GB 8.9 KFHD! (That's not even including the $10 statement credit for syncing with Xbox and $25 for beating Halo 4.)|
|12-10-2012 09:58 PM|
|serra||play nice, please|
|12-10-2012 09:03 PM|
|This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|