Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Nexus 4 Wireless Charger Available in Play store - Ships in less than 1 week. $59.99, $5.99 shipping + tax (http://slickdeals.net/f/5850854-nexus-4-wireless-charger-available-in-play-store-ships-in-less-than-1-week-59-99-5-99-shipping-tax)

clickk0 02-11-2013 11:50 AM

Nexus 4 Wireless Charger Available in Play store - Ships in less than 1 week. $59.99, $5.99 shipping + tax

1 Attachment(s)
Didnt see any post regarding this. Heads up for people who are interested.

https://play.google.com/store/dev...hhcmdlciJd

wikipost 02-11-2013 11:50 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

This is no longer able to be found through the Nexus 4 order page.

Seems like you'd have to go through that link to order it.

Get it before it disappears also...

This post can be edited by most users to provide up-to-date information about developments of this thread based on user responses, and user findings. Feel free to add, change or remove information shown here as it becomes available. This includes new coupons, rebates, ideas, thread summary, and similar items.

Once a Thread Wiki is added to a thread, "Create Wiki" button will disappear. If you would like to learn more about Thread Wiki feature, click here.

Reuchlin 02-11-2013 11:52 AM

gigiddy

sheltem 02-11-2013 11:56 AM

This was one of the biggest thing I missed when leaving my Palm Pre.

ericjwill 02-11-2013 11:59 AM

So that's what Google did with all of those leftover Nexus Qs!

r4l3x 02-11-2013 12:01 PM

Wow, that's really expensive for a charger, even wireless...

I was expecting something around $40 at most...

bobcat255 02-11-2013 12:02 PM

Want! How does it work with the LG bumper or aftermarket cases? Not as far as charging, but as far as the phone "sticking" to the device?

Quote:

Originally Posted by r4l3x (Post 57507430)

You can get an aftermarket one for around that price, but OEM always commands a premium. You gotta pay for that sex appeal :cool:

formerglory 02-11-2013 12:08 PM

How does this stack against the 3rd party Qi chargers out there on Amazon? This one's cheaper and slightly larger wit less angle:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005QZ8B...us?ie=UTF8

cellophanecore 02-11-2013 12:09 PM

gesh $70 after tax and shipping

wrmanis 02-11-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by formerglory (Post 57507582)
How does this stack against the 3rd party Qi chargers out there on Amazon? This one's cheaper and slightly larger wit less angle:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005QZ8B...us?ie=UTF8

How does this stack against the 3rd party Qi chargers out there on Amazon? This one's cheaper and slightly larger with less angle:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005QZ8B...us?ie=UTF8

I've heard (and maybe not through the most reputable of sources) that the energizer one wasn't quite up to snuff with the qi standard. Also, isn't it very position-sensitive? Might be making things up. :P

bernardlam85 02-11-2013 12:11 PM

they have to call it a wireless charger because no one knows what inductive charging is?

Four1Fool 02-11-2013 12:12 PM

I was hoping for a flat pad of some sort that charges multiple Nexus 4's or similar devices. We have three Nexus 4's in the house already and will probably be adding a 4th. Will this charge multiple phones at a time?

thebtran 02-11-2013 12:18 PM

wow thats pretty pricey ill just stick with mine that came with the phone

SacTu 02-11-2013 12:22 PM

this is 20% of the actual phone's cost.

nope.

Mralexander006 02-11-2013 12:22 PM

I think this looks awesome. If only I had a Nexus 4, I'd be complaining how expensive it was and not buying it, but silently wanting it anyway.

gamefreakgcb 02-11-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Four1Fool (Post 57507710)
Charge your Nexus 4 wirelessly with this Qi inductive charger. Its angled surface provides easy visibility of your phone while charging. This elegant device was designed specifically for your Nexus 4 -- no clunky add-ons or accessories needed.

This IS a clunky add-on / accessory. It's huge and obnoxious looking. Why would I ever want to move or travel with the thing, and where am I going to put it that it isn't an eyesore or in the way? I was hoping for a flat pad of some sort that charges multiple Nexus 4's or similar devices. We have three Nexus 4's in the house already and will probably be adding a 4th--but I'd rather pay nothing more for the charger that comes with, or $1 for a few extra micro-usb cords than pay $60+ for a billiards ball sliced in half that only charges one of my phones.

Appreciate the info though OP, thank you!

You're not supposed to travel with these. I don't understand why people keep mentioning this as a negative when the entire focus is for it to REMAIN STATIONARY on your desk at home or office. Else you're TRAVELING WRONG!

They have travel chargers for TRAVEL PURPOSES.

/rant

DmoRulez 02-11-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamefreakgcb (Post 57507942)
You're not supposed to travel with these. I don't understand why people keep mentioning this as a negative when the entire focus is for it to REMAIN STATIONARY on your desk at home or office. Else you're TRAVELING WRONG!

They have travel chargers for TRAVEL PURPOSES.

/rant

Agreed. Sitting at my desk at work this will be perfect. Not to take home with me, bring back to the office, then take over to a friends house. While I'm at it, maybe I should buy velcro for my dash board and use this instead of my car charger.

longd 02-11-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamefreakgcb (Post 57507942)
/rant I don't understand why people keep mentioning this as a negative when the entire focus is for it/rant

/rant People are dumb? /rant off

I also don't understand the cost of these things other than novelty, induction charging is basically a wire wrapped around an object. On the other side, also a wire wrapped around an object. Real cost of these things are probably $2 (from china), of which $1.50 is the copper wire, the rest, plastic, miscellaneous parts, and labor.

http://www.cellphones.ca/images/n...charge.JPG

:-)

hydrolic 02-11-2013 12:44 PM

i wonder what prevents the phone from sliding off. seems like the angle is kinda steep. looks cool (impractical) though!

JC Monkeyballs 02-11-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrolic (Post 57508480)
i wonder what prevents the phone from sliding off. seems like the angle is kinda steep. looks cool (impractical) though!

freakin' magnets, how do they work?

azoiic 02-11-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r4l3x (Post 57507430)

$40? lol... this is "new" technology first of all and look at Nokia's DT-901 Wireless Charging Pillow by Fatboy on amazon. It's going for like $85 w/ free shipping...

sean3k 02-11-2013 12:46 PM

Bought via rationalization that it will save the USB port from wear and tear.

fyu 02-11-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean3k (Post 57508558)
Bought via rationalization that it will save the USB port from wear and tear.

was thinking of doing the same, but my current phone has been going strong for 2 years and the usb slot is still fine.

woodygg 02-11-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bernardlam85 (Post 57507664)
they have to call it a wireless charger because no one knows what inductive charging is?

christ. really??? we're all so impressed.

COHusker 02-11-2013 12:51 PM

I modded my S3 to use Palm Touchstones to wireless charge. I recently purchased the Nexus 4 and will probably be purchasing the charging orb. It is one of those things that you don't realize the benefit until you have it. Palm Touchstones are so cheap that I have one at my office, one on my nightstand, and one mounted on the dash of my car. I NEVER plug my phone in.

It is nicest in the car because all I do is set my phone on it and it charges. It is at a high enough angle to still show navigation directions and whatever music is being played. I have a Bluetooth head unit and the Touchstone is hardwired so everything feels wire free. It's awesome, try it and I guarantee you will see the benefits in wireless charging.

r4l3x 02-11-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobcat255 (Post 57507464)
You can get an aftermarket one for around that price, but OEM always commands a premium. You gotta pay for that sex appeal :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoiic (Post 57508532)
$40? lol... this is "new" technology first of all and look at Nokia's DT-901 Wireless Charging Pillow by Fatboy on amazon. It's going for like $85 w/ free shipping...

We're talking that the charger costs 20% of the phone price...

As nice and convenient it is, unless this thing do something more than just charge the phone then it's a truly luxury overpriced item. Maybe if they have launched it with the phone many people would have paid for it "in the heat of the moment" but right now I seriously doubt they will sell that much at that price...

sd2go 02-11-2013 12:53 PM

I don't understand how can this consider hot deal that you're paying MSRP + TAX + SHIPPING. I guess new standard for (sd) hot deal that any limited quantity item available immediately consider HOT DEAL... LOL

hydrolic 02-11-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COHusker (Post 57508680)
I modded my S3 to use Palm Touchstones to wireless charge. I recently purchased the Nexus 4 and will probably be purchasing the charging orb. It is one of those things that you don't realize the benefit until you have it. Palm Touchstones are so cheap that I have one at my office, one on my nightstand, and one mounted on the dash of my car. I NEVER plug my phone in.

It is nicest in the car because all I do is set my phone on it and it charges. It is at a high enough angle to still show navigation directions and whatever music is being played. I have a Bluetooth head unit and the Touchstone is hardwired so everything feels wire free. It's awesome, try it and I guarantee you will see the benefits in wireless charging.

what you do to "mod" it to work with the Touchstone?

deviusdragger 02-11-2013 12:54 PM

Too expensive too late. Im about ready to get rid of my nexus 4 and move onto the next one. I guess good for the people wanting this.

Rtard 02-11-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r4l3x (Post 57508714)

As nice and convenient it is, unless this thing do something more than just charge the phone then it's a truly luxury overpriced item. Maybe if they have launched it with the phone many people would have paid for it "in the heat of the moment" but right now I seriously doubt they will sell that much...

They are going to sell a TON of these. I really really want one, but I am hoping some chinese company creates a knockoff version in a month or so for like 5 dollars.

DmoRulez 02-11-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC Monkeyballs (Post 57508518)
freakin' magnets, how do they work?

Hahaha :woot: I hate those damn clowns.

COHusker 02-11-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrolic (Post 57508736)

Similar to this. It was surprisingly easy (and cheap!):
http://forums.androidcentral.com/...today.html

dzap 02-11-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrolic (Post 57508736)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ-XAzyOCAw If you don't want to solder the contract points....

milko 02-11-2013 01:00 PM

I'll stick with usb cable, hasn't failed me yet.

sean3k 02-11-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu (Post 57508590)
was thinking of doing the same, but my current phone has been going strong for 2 years and the usb slot is still fine.

My USB slot seems finicky when charging. Sometimes says USB charging, sometimes says AC even though it's always plugged into the wall. I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue, but it definitely seems loose.

bollingerr 02-11-2013 01:03 PM

Bah... In for 1.

blahblahyoutoo 02-11-2013 01:11 PM

So this thing looks like it will be in a box bigger than the Nexus 4 and similar weight, yet shipping is about half price :D

dzap 02-11-2013 01:13 PM

Ugh. As an SDer it pains me to spend $70 on this (Tax + shipping). However I have been waiting so long it was the high limit I promised to myself on what I would spend on it looking at other Qi chargers on the market currently at MSRP.

$70 for the Tylt for example http://shop.tylt.com/pc_combined_...ke=&model=

And then the official LG WCP, this guy is selling for $60 on Amazon for a "refurbished one". Jerk.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-li...efurbished

They sold new for $50 at Verizon stores but I called a few stores and had them check inventory and they were all sold out.

Also Touchstone fans, Mathias Duarte used to work for Palm and he so "took" the ideas from the Palm days and brought them to Google. :lol: The multi-tasking we now have on Android is clearly reminiscent from WebOS and the Orb charger here looks so much like the TouchStone. There's no other wireless charger on the market that even closely resembles this design.

Anyway, got one. Glad he works for Google now. Things don't look so damn ugly like it did back in the Gingerbread days. Thank you Duarte. :whee:

dzap 02-11-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo (Post 57509190)
So this thing looks like it will be in a box bigger than the Nexus 4 and similar weight, yet shipping is about half price :D

At least they included another microUSB cable and charger. Unlike Asus with the Nexus 7 dock. Cheap bastards.

And the weight is probably just a heavy piece of metal to weigh it down (like the touchstone did).

Deal4Family 02-11-2013 01:23 PM

Not Worth the Money!

Kaede 02-11-2013 01:24 PM

Does it work with cases or "skins" that cover the back?

TofuVic 02-11-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bernardlam85 (Post 57507664)

It isn't that "no one" knows what inductive charging is, but that not everyone knows about inductive charging.

Quote:

As nice and convenient it is, unless this thing do something more than just charge the phone then it's a truly luxury overpriced item.

I think it's supposed to be a "luxury overpriced item."

Customers can buy these for around $40, but $60 seems right for a direct purchase from the Google Play store. I'm sure they'll still sell thousands of these.

Tofu Vic

akbisw 02-11-2013 01:26 PM

This is too expensive!!!!!! lol they are making all the money on accessories lol. 20$ bumper now 60$ charger........

sarcean 02-11-2013 01:28 PM

Can I use this with my DROID DNA?

clickk0 02-11-2013 01:29 PM

Link on the website went down as fast as it went up... seems like you can't find it on the official website pages anymore.

woodygg 02-11-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 57509320)
At least they included another microUSB cable and charger. Unlike Asus with the Nexus 7 dock. Cheap bastards.

And the weight is probably just a heavy piece of metal to weigh it down (like the touchstone did).

hopefully someday they'll quit doing that. can't tell you how many cables and chargers i've thrown out over the years.

toromac 02-11-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarcean (Post 57509624)
Can I use this with my DROID DNA?

yes sir. it is of the qi standard, thus the compatibility.

dzap 02-11-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akbisw (Post 57509560)
This is too expensive!!!!!! lol they are making all the money on accessories lol. 20$ bumper now 60$ charger........

Razor --> razor blade model. Inkjet Printer ---> ink model. PS3 --> games/accessories model.

Sell the actual main product for cheap, make up any losses on accessories/refills/content.

blahblahyoutoo 02-11-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 57509320)

my point was comparing the price of shipping the phone (lighter, smaller box) and this charger which looks like it will be in a larger box and equal or heavier weight.

maybe the insurance is what's bumping the shipping price for the N4?

DarkRichC 02-11-2013 02:08 PM

In for one, thanks.

Saw the OP post, ordered one before thinking.
Thanks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by clickk0 (Post 57507140)
Didnt see any post regarding this. Heads up for people who are interested.

explore777 02-11-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo (Post 57509798)
my point was comparing the price of shipping the phone (lighter, smaller box) and this charger which looks like it will be in a larger box and equal or heavier weight.

maybe the insurance is what's bumping the shipping price for the N4?

The higher shipping cost was for the special deluxe priority order processing on the N4.

mo.karney 02-11-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoiic (Post 57508532)

New technology? :lmao: It has been around for years! You have to be incredibly stupid to consider this something new and innovative.... The HP Touchpad and Palm phone line had these long before LG ripped it off... Also do note that in most cases, it takes longer to charge than just plugging in a micro usb cable... :lmao:

dzap 02-11-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoghthegamer (Post 57511522)
New technology? :lmao: It has been around for years! You have to be incredibly stupid to consider this something new and innovative.... The HP Touchpad and Palm phone line had these long before LG ripped it off... Also do note that in most cases, it takes longer to charge than just plugging in a micro usb cable... :lmao:

LG did not "rip it off". LG manufactured it, Google designed it. The design language of the Orb and Android ICS 4.0+ and the more recent Nexus line in general are Duarte's work which..*surprise surprise* he used to work at Palm for as VP of Human Interface and User Experience (and he now works for Google as Director of Android User Experience).

dbennett78 02-11-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 57511792)
LG did not "rip it off". LG manufactured it, Google designed it. The design language of the Orb and Android ICS 4.0+ and the more recent Nexus line in general are Duarte's work which..*surprise surprise* he used to work at Palm for as VP of Human Interface and User Experience (and he now works for Google as Director of Android User Experience).

This charger is not a slick deal and should not be in this forum.

dzap 02-11-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbennett78 (Post 57511916)
Quote:

I agree. I was just fending off the troll. It's MSRP and should be in Deal Talk. But lately it seems a lot of MSRP deals are in Hot Deals based on stock/lack of availability. This is more of a "hey it's instock" post than a hot deal post.

Sent from Slickdeals App for iPhone & iPod Touch.

Stryder5 02-11-2013 03:43 PM

Nexus 4 Wireless Orb Charger (Official Playstore) - $59.99

Charge your Nexus 4 wirelessly with this Qi inductive charger. Its angled surface provides easy visibility of your phone while charging. This elegant device was designed specifically for your Nexus 4 -- no clunky add-ons or accessories needed.

Ships in less than one week. Tax and shipping will be calculated at checkout.

hardworker06 02-11-2013 03:46 PM

http://slickdeals.net/f/5850854-Nexus-4-Wireless-Charger-Available-in-Play-store-Ships-in-less-than-1-week-59-99-5-99-shipping-tax

Stryder5 02-11-2013 03:47 PM

Darn, searched for orb and din't see any results.

Report it.

iment77 02-11-2013 04:02 PM

anyone know if this will work with a TPU case?

undercat 02-11-2013 04:07 PM

A swappable battery would be a lot better.

mo.karney 02-11-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

"inductive charging".

That is all that matters. What you see here is LG ripping off the HP Touchstone and slapping that idea to a giant egg.

dzap 02-11-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amoghthegamer (Post 57513292)
"inductive charging".

That is all that matters. What you see here is LG ripping off the HP Touchstone and slapping that idea to a giant egg.

:facepalm2: Inductive charging has been used in toothbrushes for years prior to TouchStone. You're not getting it at all. This has NOTHING to do with LG. It's akin to Apple having Samsung manufacture their SoCs. Apple designed it, created it, and put all the manpower behind it, Samsung just makes it. You completely fail to understand what I typed.

bobcat255 02-11-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

As nice and convenient it is, unless this thing do something more than just charge the phone then it's a truly luxury overpriced item. Maybe if they have launched it with the phone many people would have paid for it "in the heat of the moment" but right now I seriously doubt they will sell that much at that price...

I don't think they're planning on selling that many of them, it's just a neat novelty that few other phones have and people want. I don't know if you've noticed, but since the iPhone came out a phone has been more than a phone or a PDA; they're accessories now, like bags and jewelry.

I admit this is an overpriced tech, however it would be really neat having this in the office, where my phone goes from my desk and into my pocket every half hour. Not that it's hard to plug in the USB cable, but hey, we also don't "need" rain sensing wipers and dimming rear view mirrors and automatic transmissions and so on and so forth, but we pay for the convenience.

Need is an interesting word. Until I moved to America, I didn't think I needed a car, a cell phone, quality produce, TVs in every room, disposable diapers, a dishwasher, etc. Yet, here I am, "needing" all those things. When I was growing up, hot water meant you boil it on the stove. That's why people will a lot of times write "first world problems." Yes, they are... and I don't mind them.

Hell, my dog has a better life than I did when I was growing up. He's groomed every month, fed twice a day, gets a bunch of toys, gets pampered and gets to sleep in the house - on a king bed! Yet, when I tell him "hey, you don't 'need' that bone" you should see the look he gives me. Apparently he does need it ;).

undercat 02-11-2013 09:23 PM

A removable battery costs only a few dollars.

clickk0 02-11-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undercat (Post 57519250)
A removable battery costs only a few dollars.

Nexus 4 doesnt have a removable battery.

chinafbi 02-11-2013 09:41 PM

I ordered one. Thanks and can't wait for it the come.

imabored 02-11-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clickk0 (Post 57519358)
Nexus 4 doesnt have a removable battery.

http://www.talkandroid.com/139081...placeable/

oghowie 02-11-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imabored (Post 57519626)

Yeah, just bring a screw driver with you everywhere.

Pngo12 02-11-2013 09:57 PM

https://www.fasttech.com/products...ss-charger

https://www.fasttech.com/products...r-for-car-

Zanthexter 02-11-2013 11:39 PM

Yes, it is cheaper, but research it anyway. Last I checked on XDA a lot of people who'd bought various 3rd party chargers were having mixed success. Some would work, some worked sometimes, or at low rates, some not at all. This includes LG's official Optimus G charger at the Verizon store, which most folks just assumed would work since the phones are nearly identical on the inside.

Even with this official Google one, I'm tempted to wait for some reviews before buying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deviusdragger (Post 57508746)
Too expensive too late. Im about ready to get rid of my nexus 4 and move onto the next one. I guess good for the people wanting this.

I expect it'll work with the Nexus 5 this summer, as well as with a lot of other flagship phones. I think Qi charging is going to get more common, because it's getting harder for phones to stand out with other specs. So the question is more whether the look of it, and being raised up and to an angle, are worth extra. Oh, and presumably the higher quality compared to a non-branded made-in-China one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milko (Post 57508918)
I'll stick with usb cable, hasn't failed me yet.

You must be single, young with good eyes, and not keep the charger on the nightstand.

Everyone else needs a fair amount of light to get the USB plugged in correctly without risking scratching the phone up some. With a Qi charger (not neccesarily this one) you can just set it down even in the dark.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 57509226)
Ugh. As an SDer it pains me to spend $70 on this (Tax + shipping). However I have been waiting so long it was the high limit I promised to myself on what I would spend on it looking at other Qi chargers on the market currently at MSRP.

$70 for the Tylt for example http://shop.tylt.com/pc_combined_...ke=&model=

And then the official LG WCP, this guy is selling for $60 on Amazon for a "refurbished one". Jerk.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-li...efurbished

They sold new for $50 at Verizon stores but I called a few stores and had them check inventory and they were all sold out.

The Tilt looks nice. Here's a neat looking car mount: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtz4VFkbNJ4

I'd love to find something I could fit inside my RAM X mount to charge with Qi.

Full price makes me cringe too (I almost never pay MSRP anymore). But a lot of folks on XDA were reporting issues with 3rd party chargers, including the LG one at Verizon. Paying more for one that'll "just work" without worries might be worth it. I kinda like it being raised and at an angle too, though I wish it was more of a stand than a pedestal. Something like the TP one. You can see them from further away that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaede (Post 57509510)

Assuming it's like most Qi chargers, yes, but only thin ones.

Quote:

I dunno, I can see someone just not being a tech nut and thinking wireless charging is the bee's knees because they haven't see it anymore. Different folks, different interests and all that.

Having owned a TP, I know it's not new or innovative. I also know just how damn nice it is to be able to plop something onto a stand without fiddling with the wires. It means the phone's on the charger a lot more, making the battery last longer, and be topped up when ready to go somewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbennett78 (Post 57511916)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 57512248)
I agree. I was just fending off the troll. It's MSRP and should be in Deal Talk. But lately it seems a lot of MSRP deals are in Hot Deals based on stock/lack of availability. This is more of a "hey it's instock" post than a hot deal post.

The forum title is "HOT deals". The general consensus seems to be that includes in-demand-but-hard-to-find items.

Apparently the forum admins feel that leaving these PSA (Public Service Announcement) threads generates more traffic, which leads to more revenue (for them) and deals posted (for us) when they are left in HotDeals. A lot of people just don't check the other forums.

Really, the important thing to keep in mind is that SlickDeals is a community. Measure a threads worth by how much it encourages people to continue to participate. If PSA threads like this one bring more people to the site more often, and that results in more deals being posted, that benefits everyone. Even folks not personally interested in the PSA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd2go (Post 57508732)
I guess new standard for (sd) hot deal that any limited quantity item available immediately consider HOT DEAL... LOL

Limited AND in demand. Folks that have been waiting for something to become available really do appreciate the heads up (I certainly do with this thread.) and that keeps them engaged and sharing with the community.

chinafbi 02-12-2013 07:29 AM

I ordered one. Price seems right compares to others and in some cases even cheaper. Talking about overpriced look at apple charger and adapters. They are $40 for an adapter.

bossusa 02-12-2013 07:38 AM

paid $71.84 for a charger LOL

can always resell used on ebay if i dont like it.

bossusa 02-12-2013 07:52 AM

can this be used with my wife's galaxy s3?

chriskellydev 02-12-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobcat255 (Post 57507464)
Want! How does it work with the LG bumper or aftermarket cases? Not as far as charging, but as far as the phone "sticking" to the device?

A lot of people on XDA are waiting for a video review for this exact reason. Supposedly it has some magnets along the rings to hold your phone to it, but until I see it hold onto something with a bumper I'm just gonna keep it on my luxury wish list.

Chimay 02-12-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossusa (Post 57525600)
can this be used with my wife's galaxy s3?

Unfortunately, not by itself. GSIII does not have wireless charging built in, but it can be accomplished. You would need a) custom back plate/battery cover, b) mod your existing cover - link below, or c) a wireless charging case (duracell makes one, I think).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/s...?t=1877191 - that outlines a simple mod that someone achieved using old Palm device components.

IIRC, there was an official 'kit' coming, but I don't know if it ever materialized.

TL;DR, No - I don't think you can use a stock GSIII with this accessory.

woodygg 02-12-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanthexter (Post 57521488)

You must be single, young with good eyes, and not keep the charger on the nightstand.

Everyone else needs a fair amount of light to get the USB plugged in correctly without risking scratching the phone up some. With a Qi charger (not neccesarily this one) you can just set it down even in the dark.

no, he's just reasonable coordinated. while i bought my wife the lg charger for her nexus 4, neither her or i have ever had a problem plugging our devices in. and we're neither single, young, nor have good eyes.

thebtran 02-12-2013 08:20 AM

bahahah the comments in here are ridiculous. if you want it get it. if you want to save money then don't simple.

woodygg 02-12-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

You have to be incredibly stupid to consider this something new and innovative....

or maybe you just have a life and don't know everything about everything. db.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebtran (Post 57526238)
bahahah the comments in here are ridiculous. if you want it get it. if you want to save money then don't simple.

i was thinking the same thing. to some it's worth it, to others it's not.

bossusa 02-12-2013 08:22 AM

can anyone comment on bumper case and this charger.

JimboLodisC 02-12-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

This IS a clunky add-on / accessory. It's huge and obnoxious looking. Why would I ever want to move or travel with the thing, and where am I going to put it that it isn't an eyesore or in the way? I was hoping for a flat pad of some sort that charges multiple Nexus 4's or similar devices. We have three Nexus 4's in the house already and will probably be adding a 4th--but I'd rather pay nothing more for the charger that comes with, or $1 for a few extra micro-usb cords than pay $60+ for a billiards ball sliced in half that only charges one of my phones.

You could buy the WCP-700.

Xamindar 02-12-2013 08:28 AM

How in the world is this a Hot Deal? Shouldn't this thread be moved?

Processing... 02-12-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheltem (Post 57507302)
This was one of the biggest thing I missed when leaving my Palm Pre.

that and the webos operating system

Neo42 02-12-2013 08:41 AM

Picked up the LG WCP-700 months ago for around $35. Glad I did. Looks like resellers have wised up, as I don't see any for that cheap right now.

JimboLodisC 02-12-2013 08:47 AM

I saw no less than 3 posts on this yesterday. May have been a "Hot Deal" the minute it went up, just in case it was going to sell out, but not so sure this thread belongs here. I did buy one yesterday, but it's far from a Hot Deal. It's the same as when Blu-Ray players first came out for $400. Early adopters are paying a premium. Eventually, prices will die down (especially now on Amazon with the orb finally available) and for my Nexus 4, I'm better off getting the straight-from-Google charger than risking a cheapo from China.

I have heard good and bad things about the Panasonic, Energizer, LG WCP-700, Nokia standing and flat chargers... basically the Nokia pillow is the one with the most problems. The others have their "quirks", so I'm sticking with official OEM accessories.

As mentioned before, this is not for everyone. The amazing thing is that when my orb arrives, my phone will in fact charge via the microUSB port! That feature doesn't go away! And just because this orb came out, doesn't mean every Nexus 4 magically lost the ability to charge via a cable. Amazing, innit? You can thank Google that you don't HAVE to buy this, but that it is an OPTION.

Now, I wanted to buy 3, but at $70.56 shipped... well, lemme just give it a try first rather than going by what the internet tells me. I really want one for my car. No fussing with cables in my car would be amazing, however I do not have Bluetooth, so I'd still need to plug in my audio cable. So the orb may end up on my coffee table or at my desk at work. Set it down, watch the Daydream Mode, pick it up and go... no plugging, no unplugging. FOR ME, this works. I'm not forcing/wishing/expecting anything more from the orb.

I don't expect it to be completely wireless (RIP Tesla).
I don't expect it to be my travel companion (my original OEM charger is now my travel charger).
I don't expect it to charge as quickly as possible (bundled AC charger is 1.2A, orb is 1.0A, but probably closer to 700-800mA in actual charging ability).
I don't expect it to be affordable. This is an "emerging" (not "new" for you sticklers) technology.
I don't care that it's 20% of the cost of the phone, the phone was hella cheap in the first place. (More like 18.4% since I have a 16GB)
I don't care that you think it's an overpriced charger that saves milliseconds a day. That's YOUR opinion, and you're entitled to it. However, I do think it's worth my $70.56, and I did indeed buy one.

TL;DR. Do whatever you want with your phone. Let others do the same.

lekhtuz 02-12-2013 09:00 AM

There was a hot deal posted here around Jan 30-31 regarding this wireless orb available on preorder from Pure Mobile for $60. Shipping was promised in 2-3 weeks for free. Well... 2-3 weeks just turned into end of March or beginning of April depending on the source. I decided to cancel the order. Immediately they offered me $10 off. So now it's either $50 shipped around April 1st or $70 shipped who knows when. I decided to stay with Pure Mobile as there is no rush. If I find it cheaper or change my mind, cancellation is email away. Even if it in fact never ships, no harm done.

Whoever ordered the orb back then may try to pull the same trick.

bjsguess 02-12-2013 09:28 AM

I always viewed inductive charging as something of a novelty. However, it became an integral part of the user experience with my Touchpad. I absolutely loved not having to fiddle around with cables at night. I think I paid $40 for my Touchstone. That was after paying $100 for the device.

I LOVE this charger. However, I'm going to sit it out for awhile. I need the price to come down some. $40 is about the max that I would consider for the convenience.

amax 02-12-2013 10:02 AM

This isn't a Slick Deal. Just free front-page advertising for an overpriced product offered at maximum retail price.

Starks 02-12-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaede (Post 57509510)

i've tried looking up some reviews on inductive charging and there were a number that indicated that they will work with a small profile case such as the ringke skim fit. but i'd rather wait on more reviews and a bigger sample size before coming to a decision on this purchase.

Evan55 02-12-2013 10:36 AM

$69 after shipping and tax is an AWFUL price for a qi charger.

josephclemente 02-12-2013 10:56 AM

I paid less than this for a DUAL Qi charger made by Energizer. It is sleek and charges two phones.

The Play store charger is big, clunky and overpriced. Far from a hot deal.

JimboLodisC 02-12-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josephclemente (Post 57530292)
I paid less than this for a DUAL Qi charger made by Energizer. It is sleek and charges two phones.

I find the Energizer slabs to be rather ugly. It's like a NASCAR with stickers all over it. The orb is like an all-black Lambo Aventador.

Only the Panasonic charger would be uglier. It may only charge one device at a time, but at least it has auto-positioning and only costs $51.

chinafbi 02-12-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amax (Post 57528736)
This isn't a Slick Deal. Just free front-page advertising for an overpriced product offered at maximum retail price.

There is nothing nicer than this one on the market right now. It's the slickest one you can get. For $10 more than some other chargers it's good. The apple wall charger is $30

bossusa 02-13-2013 08:01 AM

i will probably use it as car charger and holder as well. less cables, awesome, as long as it works with my bumper case. cant wait.

got a 3 year squaretrade warranty for $7.77 after 35% coupon.

KevinArney 02-13-2013 08:26 AM

The energizer one is good and bad

Quote:

Originally Posted by formerglory (Post 57507582)

I bought and use the energizer one you linked for my wife and my Nexus 4. As a bare Nexus 4, the energizer charger was horrible because the phones would slip -- perhaps even more so during charging.

Once we added these cases http://www.amazon.com/i-Blason-Fl...roduct_top, the phones didn't slip and the charger worked great. As for charging, it doesn't appear to charge constantly, when the phone is fully charged it stops charging and resumes charging when the battery drops a few percent.

toromac 02-13-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josephclemente (Post 57530292)

Actually you have it the other way around. Your charger is the big clunker taking up way too much table/nightstand space.

josephclemente 02-13-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toromac (Post 57550552)
Actually you have it the other way around. Your charger is the big clunker taking up way too much table/nightstand space.

I have two phones. Please think before you post.

dzap 02-14-2013 03:06 AM

Shipped. Hoping it comes by Friday because UPS doesn't deliver on Saturday, meaning I would have to wait until Monday.

Will see when tracking info. updates.

bossusa 02-14-2013 07:03 AM

mine shipped as well, cant wait to try it out.

bigmace 02-14-2013 07:11 AM

Dang, to bad I can't use this with my Galaxy Nexus. Is kind of spendy though..

dbennett78 02-14-2013 09:20 AM

Why anyone would spend $60 on a charger that you can set the phone on rather than plugging it in in the same position is beyond me.

dzap 02-14-2013 02:35 PM

Just got a UPS MyChoice delivery alert. It's coming tomorrow. :whee:

Very nice. That's more like next day air. Can't wait. :bounce:

Evan55 02-15-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinafbi (Post 57541210)
There is nothing nicer than this one on the market right now. It's the slickest one you can get. For $10 more than some other chargers it's good. The apple wall charger is $30

lolol..... not even close.
the panasonic is so much better.

this may or may not even work with other qi phones.

dzap 02-15-2013 06:12 PM

Got it. Works. Wish it was more magnetic but nonetheless what I expected.

gamefreakgcb 02-15-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 57612282)
Got it. Works. Wish it was more magnetic but nonetheless what I expected.

Do you have a bumper? I use the Poetic bumper and was wondering how it would stick to surface as the bumper would keep the phone elevated.

I'm just holding back a bit but I will get one definitely and 2 maybe if the thing is convenient. :D

chinafbi 02-15-2013 10:36 PM

Just received my charger today. It works good and I have the Google bumper on the phone. It status very secure while docking. I love it very small and slick

spitcyclops 02-15-2013 10:39 PM

got mine today. Its awesome! I thought it wouldn't be secure but it is! So far I'm happy.

JuMpMaN6235 02-15-2013 10:45 PM

Almost $70 after shipping and tax... lol, you people are getting ripped off

toromac 02-15-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josephclemente (Post 57557352)
I have two phones. Please think before you post.

Still bigger and taking up more space. If I had two phones with two orbs they would still take up less table space you farking knuckle dragger. Bottom line is that you're trying to justify being cheap instead of getting the orb. You bought an ugly, space-wasting charger, so you came here to scum the orb. Fark off you troll.

tonkotsu 02-15-2013 11:43 PM

charger arrived, it works great!

the magnet and stand work well enough to easily charge and keep the phone in place over a ringke slim hard case. It was pretty pricy for a charger though.

laoh 02-16-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

It's clear you've never used induction charging. If you had the experience, you would not be saying this. I'm a Palm Pre graduate with 3 Touchstones.

bossusa 02-16-2013 07:15 AM

got mine, works well with nexus 4 bumper case.

threeclaws 02-16-2013 07:43 AM

As a nexus 4 owner (and previous pre/touchpad owner with their respective inductive chargers) this is a ridiculous price for an ugly design (fatboy is the only one with some design sense out there) and I'm firmly in the "inductive charging is a novelty" camp. When you can pick these up for $15 bucks, they are standardized and you don't have to worry about which direction the device is facing...they might have something.

spitcyclops 02-16-2013 02:05 PM

Anyone having trouble charging the device after the orb has been plugged in for a few hours?

My orb has been plugged in for about 24 hours now and at first it was great, but about an hour ago I tried to charge my Nexus 4 and it wouldn't charge.

I wiped it, unplugged it from the wall, nothing. I had to unplug and re-plug the usb from the orb itself to get it to work (which defeats the purpose of having the orb, I want to just put my Nexus on the orb and not worry about plugging and unplugging. I know First world problems lol) Not sure if I got a faulty one. If anyone else is experiencing this please comment!

s3ns3i 02-16-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spitcyclops (Post 57625750)
Anyone having trouble charging the device after the orb has been plugged in for a few hours?

My orb has been plugged in for about 24 hours now and at first it was great, but about an hour ago I tried to charge my Nexus 4 and it wouldn't charge.

I wiped it, unplugged it from the wall, nothing. I had to unplug and re-plug the usb from the orb itself to get it to work (which defeats the purpose of having the orb, I want to just put my Nexus on the orb and not worry about plugging and unplugging. I know First world problems lol) Not sure if I got a faulty one. If anyone else is experiencing this please comment!

Just tried an it is still working properly. I first plugged it like 19 hrs ago. Will try later again and will let you know if it doesn't work.

bossusa 02-16-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spitcyclops (Post 57625750)

no issues here, has been plugged in for over 24 hours, charging well, loving it so far.

dzap 02-17-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamefreakgcb (Post 57614994)
Do you have a bumper? I use the Poetic bumper and was wondering how it would stick to surface as the bumper would keep the phone elevated.

I'm just holding back a bit but I will get one definitely and 2 maybe if the thing is convenient. :D

Yes. The official bumper and a dbrand skin on the back.

If this is what you have..
http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Bord...B00AG0D52O
...then it should work fine.

I only see issues if you have an otterbox or something on it. It seems they thought out the design of this a bit more than the Touchstone as it seems more resilient to stay on in various spots (the Touchstone for example would connect/disconnect every second while charging if it wasn't on the EXACT spot), in both portrait and landscape.

dzap 02-17-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threeclaws (Post 57619846)
As a nexus 4 owner (and previous pre/touchpad owner with their respective inductive chargers) this is a ridiculous price for an ugly design (fatboy is the only one with some design sense out there) and I'm firmly in the "inductive charging is a novelty" camp. When you can pick these up for $15 bucks, they are standardized and you don't have to worry about which direction the device is facing...they might have something.

:lol: The Fatboy is just the Standard Nokia DT-900 charging alate with a shitty cloth covered over it. They didn't think about the design at all. You are literally paying a premium for a plastic/sheath cloth to go over it. Costs them maybe all of 50 cents to make it maybe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?fea...3ck#t=202s
I agree this is a ridiculous mark-up on a Qi charger, but it definitely works well with the Nexus 4 and is definitely not ugly by any means.

gamefreakgcb 02-17-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 57644876)
Yes. The official bumper and a dbrand skin on the back.

If this is what you have..
http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Bord...B00AG0D52O
...then it should work fine.

I only see issues if you have an otterbox or something on it. It seems they thought out the design of this a bit more than the Touchstone as it seems more resilient to stay on in various spots (the Touchstone for example would connect/disconnect every second while charging if it wasn't on the EXACT spot), in both portrait and landscape.

Thanks, I'm ordering one for my office desk now. Rep'd as well. :D

threeclaws 02-18-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 57644990)
:lol: The Fatboy is just the Standard Nokia DT-900 charging alate with a shitty cloth covered over it. They didn't think about the design at all. You are literally paying a premium for a plastic/sheath cloth to go over it. Costs them maybe all of 50 cents to make it maybe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?fea...3ck#t=202s
I agree this is a ridiculous mark-up on a Qi charger, but it definitely works well with the Nexus 4 and is definitely not ugly by any means.

Yes, it's a DT900 in a pillow, which means you can just toss your phone onto it and it will start charging (in theory anyway) which makes a lot more sense than trying to position it on a slippery flat pad (like most qi chargers seems to be) or get it to stick to the google charger.

I didn't say I was buying the nokia qi charger either so why would I care about the extra cost? I was simply commenting on the design.

Evan55 02-18-2013 11:37 AM

the fatboy is a fantastic design. I bought one. unfortunately it doesnt work with the nexus 4 :(

my coworker with a 8x loves his though

burn 02-21-2013 08:28 PM

got mine and have been very happy using it, just grab and go.
i don't spend a lot of time on phones, so it feels like it charges very fast when i need it.

bossusa 03-01-2013 08:15 PM

the charger is amasing, so easy to use, no more looking for micro slot in the middle of the night