Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   1 year Free Amazon Prime Membership for College Students (http://slickdeals.net/f/2123032-1-year-free-amazon-prime-membership-for-college-students)

stephsully 07-12-2010 02:07 PM

1 year Free Amazon Prime Membership for College Students

Attention college students!
1 year Free Amazon Prime membership

Did a search and couldn't find this:

www.amazon.com/student

Requires:
-Valid .edu e-mail address
-Specify college, year and major
Quote:

To sign up for and use Amazon Student, you must (1) have an Amazon.com account, (2) be a college student actively enrolled in at least one course at a college geographically located in one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia, (3) be able to provide proof of enrollment upon request and (4) have a valid e-mail address that contains the domain suffix .edu.
Go here to Sign Up [amazon.com]

Everything else is self-explanatory. Go to prime and manage your account. Should be activated and have an ending date 1 year from sign-up date. You are even able to add family members to the account like a regular prime subscription.

Updates to answer questions

Q: Will this automatically renew?
A: NO!
Quote:

The automatic renewal provisions in the Amazon Prime Terms & Conditions (which would require you to pay for Amazon Prime) do not apply to this membership, even if we decide to extend the free Amazon Prime offer beyond one year.
Q: Can I get this if I'm not a student (even if I have a .edu e-mail address)?
A: You might be able to. And you might not.
If you do not qualify and they catch you, Amazon will make you reimburse them for their costs
Quote:

If you do not provide documentation indicating that you meet the eligibility requirements above, you may be required to reimburse us for benefits you received as a result of your Amazon Student membership.
*I am not the arbiter of morality, but please don't abuse this by signing up if you do not meet Amazon's requirements*

Q: What happens if I already have a prime account?
A: I'm not sure, however people are reporting that if they currently have a prime account and they sign-up for the Amazon Student account, the following happens:
1. Their current prime account gets cancelled and they get a pro-rated refund
2. They get signed up for the free 1 year amazon student prime

Q: My .edu address isn't my Amazon.com address -- do I have to create a new account?
A: No
Quote:

If your .edu e-mail address isn't listed on your Amazon.com account, that's OK. The only e-mail we'll send to your .edu e-mail address is the verification e-mail. After that, other Amazon Student e-mails will be sent to the e-mail address listed on your Amazon.com account.
Q: Ohh my gosh, this is amazing, how can I thank you!?!?!
A: Students are notoriously poor. Many have to work minimum-wage jobs while taking classes to pay for rent, tuition and food. Let a student know about this deal and help them save money. Also, donating old books you have lying around the house to schools and libraries (especially those dealing with budget cuts) could potentially enrich a child's life and help them get interested in many different subjects and put them on the path to higher education.

"Join Amazon Student and get FREE Two-Day Shipping for one year with a free Amazon Prime membership ($79 value), as well as e-mail alerts for exclusive promotions. There is no cost to join--simply sign up by providing your school and major. If you’re not a student, you may still be eligible for a free trial of Amazon Prime."

Conditions for the curious (from Terms and Conditions)
T&C [amazon.com]

EDIT: This is really crazy!! Almost 2750 thumbs ups and counting! -- Over 3900 reps (I started with only 17!) Thanks everyone for all the support!

Here's the back story of how this deal came about: My sister-in-law really wanted a prime account since their's had just ended a short time go. She kept asking if I wanted to split one with her and my other siblings, but the rest of us weren't so keen on the idea because we didn't have that much of a need for it.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon, she calls me and tells me about this Amazon Student thing and asks if I've ever heard of it. I told her no and did a search on slickdeals and google and couldn't find a thing on it. I went to the website she gave me and saw that you get Prime free for a year if you're a student, etc. etc. I verified it worked and that you could add family members to the account.

As soon as that happened, I posted it here since I've been a member for a while, but never posted a deal before (everyone is really quick on the uptake for this kind of stuff so by the time I find out about something, it's probably been on here for days already). I wanted to give back to everyone and this was the perfect opportunity.

The rest as they say, is history (1 day old history!)

July 16, 2010, 3:13 am: System Notice: This thread has been automatically renewed after reaching a post limit. Most of its content has been moved to this thread for reference purposes.

iconian 07-12-2010 02:07 PM

1 year Free Amazon Prime Membership for College Students

1 Attachment(s)
Amazon is offering 1 year Free Amazon Prime Membership for College Students. All students should currently be enrolled with valid .edu email address. Thanks stephsully

holyherbiness 07-12-2010 02:08 PM

Looks great. Thanks a lot!!

kh165 07-12-2010 02:09 PM

Signed up and then came here to post but you beat me. Repped!

gilkop 07-12-2010 02:11 PM

Thanks! it worked!

evilkokonut 07-12-2010 02:12 PM

awesome! thanks!

johnclevenger 07-12-2010 02:13 PM

Awesome.

ates 07-12-2010 02:13 PM

thanks!

batan 07-12-2010 02:13 PM

if you are already a member will it extend your membership?

figure8 07-15-2010 04:27 PM

I'm so glad they fixed the glitch that wasn't taking my .edu address! Customer service never contacted me like they said they would, but at least it's fixed.

to all that have signed up: this is going be a crazy amazon prime year! 1 click buying, free two day shipping, this is impulse buying at it's best.

HOTCHICA6119 07-15-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reality (Post 31107136)
I hate seeing Amazon getting ripped off like this. I called them just now to let them know about the thousands of slick dealers who are abusing this opportunity for actual students.

I gave them the link to this thread. They said they will be investigating this and will take action soon.

You're welcome.

how do we abuse this? i graduated last year and no longer have access to my edu account...dang thus would of rocked last year

XReflection 07-15-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MICHGoBlue (Post 31108462)
Please accept my sincere apology for confusing your post for promotion of australia.net fatcool, it was an honest mistake.

As mistake that you could have avoided if you had just taken off your moral police hat and let it go.

figure8 07-15-2010 05:06 PM

For such a good deal, there is way too much bickering in this thread. There are tons of new visitors to the site based on this single thread and you guys are making the SD community look really bad with all of this pointless arguing. Just sayin'

Kartoon 07-15-2010 05:09 PM

This is SLICK deals. We are slickkkkk.

Plus don't you think Amazon such a bigggg company know about slickdeals and every other forum like this?

They knew what they get into, they have their technicians.

versatile 07-15-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by figure8 (Post 31108700)
For such a good deal, there is way too much bickering in this thread. There are tons of new visitors to the site based on this single thread and you guys are making the SD community look really bad with all of this pointless arguing. Just sayin'

Agreed. All those bickering about nonsense make me :vomit:

People are going to abuse a deal whether you like it or not, but all this nonsense about who is in or isn't in college is dumb.

Just rep the OP, say a thanks if you want, in and out. Simple as that.

Babalu 07-15-2010 05:11 PM

awesome just signed up. woo woo

Pzark41 07-15-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by link626 (Post 31108154)
Mr Harvard student, what is the definition of the verb form of illiterate ?

you're looking more and more foolish with every post you make.

young padawan. you're still an undergrad. You have much to learn. Don't get cocky now. You don't have enough life experience to call anyone an idiot or loser.

I didn't mean you..

Hx114 07-15-2010 05:20 PM

YES!!! 2day shipping on TEXT BOOKS!!!!! TUUUU~!!!!!!

catluver 07-15-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by figure8 (Post 31108700)

Agreed and mod-alerted.

AreWeThereYet 07-15-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catluver (Post 31108968)
Agreed and mod-alerted.

Agreed as well. You people are making SD look BAD!

Grow up people.

Louisville S 07-15-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackblaze (Post 31110472)
You could read the wiki and the first post and then come back if you have questions :nod:

Thanks man, :bounce:

lm866 07-15-2010 07:18 PM

Thanks! Woohoo!

catluver 07-15-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AreWeThereYet (Post 31110688)
Can that family member live in another household? I believe Amazon stipulates same household, but I believe they also say items can be shipped anywhere in the U.S., so I wonder how much of a stickler Amazon is with that rule. Anyone know?

They can live in another household.

CarpeD1em500 07-15-2010 08:21 PM

For what its worth...

I posted earlier (it was deleted..) that I graduated in May and didn't feel bad about signing up because I support Amazon a great deal.

Well, after more thought, I actually cancelled my student account (and thus Prime). I then called my younger brother (who is a student and will be for two more years), had him register, and simply add me.

Now there are no worries about me having to pay for a years worth of shipping!

gumbee 07-15-2010 08:31 PM

in ^^

desisunnyboy 07-15-2010 08:32 PM

thanks just signed up.

GIRay 07-15-2010 09:17 PM

Thank you. In 4 1.
I'm gonna order some chocolate & instant noodles.

AreWeThereYet 07-15-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catluver (Post 31110912)
They can live in another household.

Good to hear! Thanks - repped

bl4nk 07-15-2010 09:51 PM

signed up, repped

serra 07-15-2010 11:12 PM

a member wrote this a long time ago and it's worth a look regarding being an amazon primer.
just tips on how to make the most and not miss any deals with prime

http://archive.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=17819&t=709116

bkobe7 07-16-2010 04:26 AM

What happened to the 50+ pages of drama??

yuugotserved 07-16-2010 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkobe7 (Post 31116134)
What happened to the 50+ pages of drama??

July 16, 2010, 3:13 am: System Notice: This thread has been automatically renewed after reaching a post limit. Most of its content has been moved to this thread for reference purposes.

refer to OP's post for the link to the original thread.

rockstar1009 07-16-2010 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuugotserved (Post 31116164)

A mod now? Congrats!! :highfive:

rainn2001 07-16-2010 05:22 AM

Thanks OP!

catluver 07-16-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travathian (Post 31114754)

So do you work for Amazon and have some secret insight into the matter or are you just spouting crap like so many others are in this thread.

Well since you asked so nicely :rolleyes:

My son and daughter both have their own apartments and they are on my prime account. So I'm going from my own personal experience.

bebandit 07-16-2010 03:35 PM

Thanks!

In 4 1 !

shocking4life 07-16-2010 04:34 PM

wow never seen so many thumbs up on a deal . thanks op

Angellique 07-16-2010 04:55 PM

thanks

Angellique 07-16-2010 08:06 PM

I'm confused, items that are offered through prime are just more expensive than other seller's items.

bkobe7 07-16-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angellique (Post 31138222)
I'm confused, items that are offered through prime are just more expensive than other seller's items.

Deals come and go. Best to be prepared.

Angellique 07-16-2010 10:31 PM

Prime just doesn't seem like a good deal, they just add the shipping price into the item price.

Kutty_Jatti 07-16-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angellique (Post 31141376)
Prime just doesn't seem like a good deal, they just add the shipping price into the item price.

And how did you get 7393 Rep points ?

chipotleattack 07-16-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angellique (Post 31141376)

Uh, no they don't. It's the same price for everything, Prime or no Prime. Amazon has a lot of good deals that pop up that Prime is great for (ie stuff under $25 that doesn't qualify for free super saver shipping)

Plus...Prime is FREE for college students. How is free not a good deal?

Angellique 07-16-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipotleattack (Post 31141764)
Uh, no they don't. It's the same price for everything, Prime or no Prime. Amazon has a lot of good deals that pop up that Prime is great for (ie stuff under $25 that doesn't qualify for free super saver shipping)

Plus...Prime is FREE for college students. How is free not a good deal?

There are random moments where yes, you can find a good deal with amazon prime, but in most instances amazon prime is actually more. Check this article:

http://www.livecheap.com/shopping/online/167-amazon-prime-is-it-worth-it?start=1

2) Prime doesn't apply to non-Amazon purchases. Many times, the lowest price or the only available merchandise is from a third party vendor. On several occasions, I bought something where my Prime membership was worthless. I still needed to pay for the shipping from the vendor and that seemed awkward, because as far as I was concerned, I was buying it from Amazon.com. Yes, it is a third party merchant, but it is being brokered by Amazon and Amazon is making a good cut of the sale.

3) After my experience with the non-Prime purchases, I found myself looking only at the Prime eligible items. Invariably, many of the Prime items carried a higher price tag than partner vendors especially at low price points. Items that were $8 from most other vendors were $13 through Amazon.com. So I would get free 2-day shipping, but it was embedded in the price. Considering that I'd already paid for the shipping advantage by subscribing to Prime, it felt like I was taking money from one pocket and putting it in another.

versatile 07-16-2010 11:26 PM

My question is if the shipping was taken into consideration, sometimes Amazon partner items may be less but with shipping it may cost more.

Since this Prime is free, it's a pretty good deal.

Angellique 07-16-2010 11:36 PM

I looked at various books I was interested in and of course took into consideraton the shipping prices. The majority of times a third party offer was cheaper for me, if you find that prime works for what you're interested in, then well, great.

dandude 07-16-2010 11:53 PM

Amazon prime works great for pre-ordering games. You get free release day shipping and it's much better than any of the other deals in-store or online.

ll00 07-17-2010 12:13 AM

congrats to the person who won the rep lotto. More rep will keep coming for sure.

serra 07-17-2010 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ll00 (Post 31142742)
congrats to the person who won the rep lotto. More rep will keep coming for sure.

???..

ctbear 07-17-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serra (Post 31142862)
???..

he's referring to the OP and the insane amount of reps he got :wave:

dudeofswim 07-17-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctbear (Post 31143132)
he's referring to the OP and the insane amount of reps he got :wave:

and his "info" under OP's SN

ListenLoud 07-17-2010 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angellique (Post 31142282)
I looked at various books I was interested in and of course took into consideraton the shipping prices. The majority of times a third party offer was cheaper for me, if you find that prime works for what you're interested in, then well, great.

Third party usually takes about 2 weeks for books to arrive (media mail); amazon prime is 2 days.

Angellique 07-17-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ListenLoud (Post 31143152)
Third party usually takes about 2 weeks for books to arrive (media mail); amazon prime is 2 days.

Really? My amazon order is currently taking 2 weeks and my recent 3rd party purchase took 3 days. But of course I have had some 3rd party orders take longer it just depends on the seller.

It's not a big deal to me though how long it takes to receive my item, I just go with what's cheaper. The cheaper in most cases for me is the 3rd party, and prime isn't always offered for what I purchase. Sometimes prime just ends up being more.

It seems that prime is good mostly for new releases where you save about a $1-3 or so. What I'm trying to say is prime is not always the cheapest, it varies that's all.

dudeofswim 07-17-2010 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angellique (Post 31143364)
Really? My amazon order is currently taking 2 weeks and my rencent 3rd party purchase took 3 days. But of course I have had some 3rd party orders take longer. It's not a big deal to me though how long it takes, I just go with what's cheaper. The cheaper in most cases for me is the 3rd party, mostly because prime isn't always offered for what I purchase. It seems that prime is good mostly for new releases where you save about a $1-3 or so.

Sometimes prime is good sometimes its not. Why would it matter if its free? If you find yourself constantly finding a good price on amazon and pay for shipping/not $25/ need it in 2 days then prime MIGHT be worth it otherwise , meh. But for free, Sure Why Not!

sampsonti 07-17-2010 01:47 AM

what happened to all the posts in this thread??

SpinDizzy 07-17-2010 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sampsonti (Post 31143486)
what happened to all the posts in this thread??

Step 1... read the thread. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuugotserved (Post 31116164)

SHADOWE2001 07-17-2010 04:47 AM

My college currently restricts .edu addresses to faculty and internal staff. When I told them about this they gave me an .edu address out of gratitude methinks. :yahoo:

So according to the history of the embued account have managed to have Free Amazon Prime from August 2008 until July 2011. I love Amazon!! :woot2:

And yes I thumbed up the thread and increased insane rep count +4 :worship:

AreWeThereYet 07-17-2010 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angellique (Post 31143364)
Really? My amazon order is currently taking 2 weeks and my recent 3rd party purchase took 3 days. But of course I have had some 3rd party orders take longer it just depends on the seller.

It's not a big deal to me though how long it takes to receive my item, I just go with what's cheaper. The cheaper in most cases for me is the 3rd party, and prime isn't always offered for what I purchase. Sometimes prime just ends up being more.

It seems that prime is good mostly for new releases where you save about a $1-3 or so. What I'm trying to say is prime is not always the cheapest, it varies that's all.

Keep in mind returning items can be cheaper with Prime as well. Many 3rd party sellers have the buyer eat shipping costs.

scottym19342 07-17-2010 07:26 AM

Thanks OP in for 1

AreWeThereYet 07-17-2010 09:27 AM

bl4ckcontact 07-17-2010 10:14 AM

excellent deal. thanks alot!

aplblsm 07-17-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHADOWE2001 (Post 31144252)
My college currently restricts .edu addresses to faculty and internal staff. When I told them about this they gave me an .edu address out of gratitude methinks. :yahoo:

So according to the history of the embued account have managed to have Free Amazon Prime from August 2008 until July 2011. I love Amazon!! :woot2:

And yes I thumbed up the thread and increased insane rep count +4 :worship:

You lucked out then. I have the same situation, but was told no .edu, no student prime. The crazy thing is that my school is listed in the pulldown menu on the sign up page. Go figure... :confused:

nllx 07-17-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aplblsm (Post 31149024)
You lucked out then. I have the same situation, but was told no .edu, no student prime. The crazy thing is that my school is listed in the pulldown menu on the sign up page. Go figure... :confused:

I want to ask someone from the school but who would be in charge of this thing? I'm not sure if a receptionist would transfer me to the right person or maybe even know what I'm talking about.

Lukkie 07-17-2010 09:24 PM

Worst deal of all time. Signed up on Thursday night and ordered about $300 worth of stuff that I absolutely don't need. Now I find myself constantly searching Amazon and Slickdeals for random stuff to buy. Sure, I could try that beef-broccoli stir fry mix. Exercise ball? sure why not. I think its the allure of having something delivered to my door. Every time I come home from work to see a box in front of my door I am absolutely giddy with excitement. A huge smile on my face, I pry open the boxes to see what goodies have been delivered that day. I think I may just order one item every day to have this excitement all the time. I am nuts!!!

blackblaze 07-17-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukkie (Post 31159386)
Worst deal of all time. Signed up on Thursday night and ordered about $300 worth of stuff that I absolutely don't need. Now I find myself constantly searching Amazon and Slickdeals for random stuff to buy. Sure, I could try that beef-broccoli stir fry mix. Exercise ball? sure why not. I think its the allure of having something delivered to my door. Every time I come home from work to see a box in front of my door I am absolutely giddy with excitement. A huge smile on my face, I pry open the boxes to see what goodies have been delivered that day. I think I may just order one item every day to have this excitement all the time. I am nuts!!!

will disagree with your first comment and agree with your last comment :lol:

catluver 07-17-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

get a grip on yourself

Thedude22 07-17-2010 10:13 PM

Invalid confirmation link

The confirmation link that you used is not valid. Please try again and make sure you cut and paste the entire link into your browser.

Anyone else have the same problem?

Thedude22 07-17-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjthelegend (Post 31160084)
Invalid confirmation link

The confirmation link that you used is not valid. Please try again and make sure you cut and paste the entire link into your browser.

Anyone else have the same problem?

Nm I was logged into my old account.

frostbyt 07-17-2010 10:41 PM

Awesome. Except everything I have ordered from amazon tends to be a non-prime candidate.

dudeofswim 07-17-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostbyt (Post 31160460)
Awesome. Except everything I have ordered from amazon tends to be a non-prime candidate.

deal alert : AMAZON

Slickery 07-18-2010 03:02 AM

Quote:

Pure American Way.....

ahchiu 07-18-2010 03:09 AM

great find! thanks

alex179 07-18-2010 03:46 AM

Quote:

I know what you mean although I'm too poor to be a shopaholic. Slickdeals with Amazon Prime can be a shopaholics best/worst dream/nightmare.

TaylorMadeStaff 07-18-2010 03:51 AM

i think we should ask the mods to make a sticky of amazon deals that people find using prime.

sharkbait689 07-18-2010 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddehr026 (Post 31162106)
i think we should ask the mods to make a sticky of amazon deals that people find using prime.

They could just use this thread. This thread practically IS a sticky.

sss3 07-18-2010 04:27 AM

Thanks OP.

rand77 07-18-2010 10:26 AM

Has anyone got a message that their prime has been cancelled? When I go to "manage prime" it says that it has been cancelled.

gamedude07 07-18-2010 10:33 AM

^were u a legit college student?

Descender421 07-18-2010 10:33 AM

Anyone that had a paid prime membership before actually get their refund yet?

echostorm 07-18-2010 01:36 PM

Most viewed thread winner. 241,906

luckyyear2009 07-18-2010 01:43 PM

Thanks, signed up DH who is back to school to finish his degree.

wanderingwillow 07-18-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

What about not having to shop, and buying your "essentials" thru Amazon. Like TP, Paper Towels, etc, and then you'll be getting the stuff you need, not having to go out and buy it, and getting the excitement! :bounce:

bbuckwald 07-18-2010 04:05 PM

Love Amazon Prime... great deal. Thank you! Repped.

zaq 07-18-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descender421 (Post 31165760)
Anyone that had a paid prime membership before actually get their refund yet?

Check your amazon account balance or the payment option on checkng out
I saw mine when I went to purchase someting and saw it sitting there as a payment option:nod:

RETRO99 07-19-2010 08:47 AM

thank you OP!

Bacon_N_Cheese 07-19-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RETRO99 (Post 31183012)
I hope this jerk was joking but I dont think so.......

Reality Reality
L1: Learner
Member sinceNov 2007
Posts6
Reputation 12 Reality is finding his bearings

"I hate seeing Amazon getting ripped off like this. I called them just now to let them know about the thousands of slick dealers who are abusing this opportunity for actual students.

I gave them the link to this thread. They said they will be investigating this and will take action soon."

You're welcome

I don't think he is a jerk. Good for him. A lot of you guys are basically trying to steal from Amazon.

throwaway9501 07-19-2010 09:03 AM

I just called up Amazon as well, I don't think it's right for you guys to be abusing the system like this. I got a $10 gift card out of it though, not too shabby.

fyu 07-19-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asif5th (Post 31183414)
I just called up Amazon as well, I don't think it's right for you guys to be abusing the system like this. I got a $10 gift card out of it though, not too shabby.

only $10? I got them to give me $100. But I gave them usernames and post links from this thread too.

throwaway9501 07-19-2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu (Post 31183470)
only $10? I got them to give me $100. But I gave them usernames and post links from this thread too.

I'm calling them back to get a PM.

RETRO99 07-19-2010 09:10 AM

such child like behavior

damageinc 07-19-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rand77 (Post 31165630)
Has anyone got a message that their prime has been cancelled? When I go to "manage prime" it says that it has been cancelled.

Yes, my account page says cancelled, but my Prime still works. I think its a bug from having a previous cancelled membership (such as a trial)

Sportsaholic 07-19-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu (Post 31183470)

I got a free life time prime membership. You just have to keep threatening them about not giving them enough info they need to get a better deal out of them.

bigt14874 07-19-2010 11:32 AM

I laughed at people who called amazon and told them about people sharing their prime accounts. You guys are lame and need a life.

throwaway9501 07-19-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RETRO99 (Post 31183600)
such child like behavior

Srsly, these people get a kick out of cheatin the system. I'm glad you agree with me

rizorith 07-19-2010 12:00 PM

Great deal. For anyone who is wondering, I currently have prime (paid the regular 79 for it) and it runs out in a month. My wife signed up using her .edu address and got prime and added me as a family member. It seems to work fine for both of us.

jen1972 07-19-2010 12:04 PM

I know my brother or sister are somewhere in this thread....they need to add me to their account! :D

perpetualhigh 07-19-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asif5th (Post 31187808)
Srsly, these people get a kick out of cheatin the system. I'm glad you agree with me

Do you believe with the resources Amazon has that it doesn't know what is really going on? They give you the option to list family members under your account, however the bottom line is, prime is a promotional tool that helps them gain more sales. Not to mention, why would they care if someone is paying for the service in full?

If you solely signed up for prime you would make A amount of purchases a year with it. By providing relatives or friends with it, they gain potential customers who would purchase B + C + D on top of your A. So you paid full for the subscription, but you give it out to friends. So what? The cost of prime is negligible compared to the potential sales they can gain from others. I'm specifically targeting people who wouldn't normally use Amazon. Prime gives more incentive for to-be customers as well as reinforces the loyalty of existing customers.

What benefit do you have by stripping your members that you allegedly state are "cheating" the system. If it didn't fiscally make sense, they wouldn't even offer free prime to students.

XReflection 07-19-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damageinc (Post 31183702)
Yes, my account page says cancelled, but my Prime still works. I think its a bug from having a previous cancelled membership (such as a trial)

I've had 2 trials in the past and my page still shows my membership. It even shows the first time I was a prime member starting in June 2008. did you use an australia.edu address?

edplayer 07-19-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsaholic (Post 31183896)
I got a free life time prime membership. You just have to keep threatening them about not giving them enough info they need to get a better deal out of them.

I called and threatened them with a knife. They laughed and hung up on me.

MiniEggRoll 07-19-2010 01:19 PM

Fantastic deal!!!!

perpetualhigh 07-19-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edplayer (Post 31190412)
I called and threatened them with a knife. They laughed and hung up on me.

you must be doing it wrong. according to the trolls here they should have given you free amazon credit, stock options, and numerous virgins along with it.

dudeofswim 07-19-2010 01:33 PM

lol @ teh trolls

Flopnuts 07-19-2010 01:36 PM

LMAO @ the kids. You guys crack me up.

o0adam0o 07-19-2010 01:54 PM

Anyone with .edu but not a student get this to work? I read the FAQ but im wondering anyways...

xIncognito 07-19-2010 02:03 PM

Whoo hoo, made my first Prime purchase on a book that I need to read for the summer! Getting a $1.50 book without shipping charges is pretty nice :)

HAPPYJACKGUM 07-19-2010 02:06 PM

i CALLED aMAZON AND THEY GAVE ME RIGHTS TO THEIR DOMAIN NAME.

throwaway9501 07-19-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perpetualhigh (Post 31190214)
Do you believe with the resources Amazon has that it doesn't know what is really going on? They give you the option to list family members under your account, however the bottom line is, prime is a promotional tool that helps them gain more sales. Not to mention, why would they care if someone is paying for the service in full?

If you solely signed up for prime you would make A amount of purchases a year with it. By providing relatives or friends with it, they gain potential customers who would purchase B + C + D on top of your A. So you paid full for the subscription, but you give it out to friends. So what? The cost of prime is negligible compared to the potential sales they can gain from others. I'm specifically targeting people who wouldn't normally use Amazon. Prime gives more incentive for to-be customers as well as reinforces the loyalty of existing customers.

What benefit do you have by stripping your members that you allegedly state are "cheating" the system. If it didn't fiscally make sense, they wouldn't even offer free prime to students.

I just hacked you and got your IP. I reported it to Amazon and they're sending Chris Hansen to your house to give you a talk. Have a good day.

SoundsLikeBen 07-19-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAPPYJACKGUM (Post 31191776)

killed it

perpetualhigh 07-19-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asif5th (Post 31191790)
I just hacked you and got your IP. I reported it to Amazon and they're sending Chris Hansen to your house to give you a talk. Have a good day.

You and Chris Hansen are welcome. I have Chuck Norris at my door and he's hungry for some trolls.

Coolstrategist 07-19-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perpetualhigh (Post 31192260)
You and Chris Hansen are welcome. I have Chuck Norris at my door and he's hungry for some trolls.

One thing is definite. A 70 year old guy with a bad toupee who thinks he is still relevant would scare me to death.

xecutionkrk 07-19-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAPPYJACKGUM (Post 31191776)

major fail

BennyB 07-19-2010 07:41 PM

FYI the verification emails from Amazon were getting blocked by my school's server... I had to email them, and they fixed it to finally let the emails through. So now I got Prime, yay! If you're not getting the emails you may want to email your campus IT people.

gingerCE 07-20-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

I had prime before (paid for a year) but let it expire because of the cost so it is great to get prime again (for free!). And it is paying off for amazon I think. I am buying more. I bought several items today via Prime I was planning to buy at Target (have Target gift cards) but it's hot in CA and Amazon was cheaper and easier. I need the items by Friday and would not have ordered them w/ regular super saver.

queenoid 07-20-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyB (Post 31198928)
FYI the verification emails from Amazon were getting blocked by my school's server... I had to email them, and they fixed it to finally let the emails through. So now I got Prime, yay! If you're not getting the emails you may want to email your campus IT people.

Thanks for this. I was just about to post asking how long it took to get the confirming email. I signed up this morning. I'll check with the school.

gingerCE 07-20-2010 04:26 PM

For those who have graduated and have their degrees (like me) you can still sign up if you are a taking any kind of college class in my opinion. I happen to be taking a class to increase my pay at work (get paid more the more education I have) and the school automatically assigned me a student email. I just put "other" when it asked what year I was in. I have in the past taken aerobics classes too which you can get credit for.

Also, I had to attend several workshops throughout the year for work and most workshops offer a way to get college credits through either a real university or online university. If you are getting paid through work to take a workshop, maybe you can find a way to get college credit.

Third, I know high school kids can take free college classes at the local jc where I live. This is YMMV of course.

allypad 07-20-2010 06:11 PM

Dammit, my school restricts EDU addresses to faculty and staff - couldn't budge Amazon customer service - I offered to send them photocopies of my student ID, registration, etc....no dice...BOO!!:(

blinkangel44 07-20-2010 06:31 PM

Does anyone know what happens if I start a free trial month of Prime right now and then immediately sign up for the student account? Would I get 13 months of free prime?

yodaman82 07-20-2010 06:33 PM

This is awesome!

BrainFreeze 07-20-2010 08:59 PM

Free Year of Amazon Prime (College Students with .EDU E-Mail)

If you have an .EDU E-Mail address, you can sign up, or login to your current Amazon.com account using this link. Then confirm your E-Mail with the link Amazon.com sends to your college e-mail, and you'll get a 1 year Amazon Prime membership (for students). :D ;)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/sign-in...t%2Fsignup

BadWolfAndy 07-20-2010 09:08 PM

this was front page deal a few days ago

BrainFreeze 07-20-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadWolfAndy (Post 31226528)
this was front page deal a few days ago

Really? I didn't see anything about it. :( Sorry. :doh:

cbax 07-21-2010 04:42 AM

Amazon.com Free 1 year Prime with .edu college email account

This is for college students or anyone who has access to a .edu email account. You can get a free 1 yr Prime membership.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

cavinda 07-21-2010 04:44 AM

repost

HAPPYJACKGUM 07-21-2010 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbax (Post 31231654)
This is for college students or anyone who has access to a .edu email account. You can get a free 1 yr Prime membership.

THANKS AND repED

freewouldbegood 07-21-2010 01:12 PM

Free 1 year amazon prime for any students with a .edu account!

Hope this is not a re-post. The link is: http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/...wblac07-20

fyu 07-21-2010 01:13 PM

search broken?

whiterussian 07-21-2010 01:13 PM

repost

o0adam0o 07-21-2010 01:20 PM

bookmark.

stickycash 07-21-2010 02:03 PM

NEWS FLASH!
USA TODAY newspaper reports college student enrollment is up 88% over the previous month!

:lol:

Half-Joey 07-21-2010 10:53 PM

Does anyone know what kind of "proof of enrollment" Amazon might want if they ask? My university has been really bad about receiving and sending official document between different universities and I dont think i could get anything official sent direction from my school to Amazon. Would they just want a course listing or something?

bkobe7 07-22-2010 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Half-Joey (Post 31258708)
Does anyone know what kind of "proof of enrollment" Amazon might want if they ask? My university has been really bad about receiving and sending official document between different universities and I dont think i could get anything official sent direction from my school to Amazon. Would they just want a course listing or something?

Maybe a verification letter which is probably free from your registrar, but I wouldn't worry about it. It seems highly highly unlikely that they will ask anyone for proof of enrollment. As people have mentioned, this promotion, like many promotions, is to boost sales. As long as you line their pockets with the Benjamins, they could care less if you were a student or not.

iflabs 07-22-2010 01:46 AM

I have only bought 2 items from Amazon since their inception. -_-

XReflection 07-22-2010 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Half-Joey (Post 31258708)

I wouldn't sweat it. I'm sure an unofficial transcript would be fine. I know for my school you can print one out yourself off your student account.

fridgeja 07-22-2010 10:56 AM

FREE Amazon prime for 1 year for students (with .edu email to activate)

One year free Amazon Prime membership for students with .edu email. You need this .edu email to activate the free membership. I searched but did not find anything about this so if ever that this is a repost, I apologize, and please take it easy since this is my first post. Thanks and enjoy.

Link http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/...0_pe_img2/

enowyn 07-22-2010 10:58 AM

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=2123032

Sorry, repost of a fairly old deal. Nice try though!

overvu 07-22-2010 10:58 AM

I think this should be under freebies.
Also, I think it was posted already.

HAPPYJACKGUM 07-22-2010 11:22 AM

I just got a call from my school and Amazon wants DNA evidence that I was actually in class.

fyu 07-22-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAPPYJACKGUM (Post 31271088)
I just got a call from my school and Amazon wants DNA evidence that I was actually in class.

dude. you can stop with the trolling now. its getting too old

minifigg 07-22-2010 11:33 AM

how can I get a .edu addy?

kevinjjc 07-22-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minifigg (Post 31271458)
how can I get a .edu addy?

Enroll in a college class? :lmao:

Danadcorps 07-22-2010 01:52 PM

Thanks a lot OP. Just did this since I need the item as soon as it gets back in stock (Canon D480).

OmgNoodles 07-22-2010 07:49 PM

Finally signed up. Awesome!

Kamano 07-23-2010 12:11 AM

Does this require clicking a verification link inside an email to complete the signup?

My student email was deactivated due to inactivity (didn't take summer classes), and I need to talk to someone in the school office about getting it opened back up so I can use it again. Only problem is there's something I would really like to order and take advantage of the fast shipping on, and it is being released tuesday.

Long story short I want to know if I need to be able to access that email account immediately to complete the signup for this.

Alternatively, if I were to get my email mess sorted out monday, sign up for the student membership, and order my item, what are the odds of the item being shipped tuesday?

amaiman 07-23-2010 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamano (Post 31287832)
Long story short I want to know if I need to be able to access that email account immediately to complete the signup for this.

Alternatively, if I were to get my email mess sorted out monday, sign up for the student membership, and order my item, what are the odds of the item being shipped tuesday?

Yes, they send the confirmation e-mail immediately and you have to click on the link received to activate Prime.

If you order on Monday (before some cut off time in the afternoon, it usually shows it on the item page), they should ship it either Monday or Tuesday for arrival on Wednesday or Thursday.

loneknives 07-23-2010 04:09 AM

awesome suppose to have 2 more month of prime ^^ now free one year
thanks

iiturnull 07-23-2010 10:11 AM

Checked my email and got notice of this. Came to SD to see if it was already up, my surprise when I did a search and I saw just how popular it had become. Great deal for anyone with a .edu address. Now I got Prime again!

freedom1st1776 07-23-2010 02:11 PM

Free amazon prime ($79) for a year for @.edu email address

Free one year of amazon prime for anyone with a @.edu email address.

Amazon Prime free for one year ($79 value)- It's free for students - sign up by providing your school and major.
  • Unlimited FREE Two-Day Shipping on textbooks and millions of other items
  • No minimum order size
  • Upgrades to One-Day shipping for $3.99/item
  • E-mail alerts for exclusive deals and promotions

thardy248 07-23-2010 03:15 PM

Wow. That was awesome! I just got a $66 refund for my old prime membership!

OkieLora 07-24-2010 07:46 AM

Reps to OP. Nice to get a few perks every no and then for being a student (a full time student and parent no less). This will come in real handy this year. Especially with Christmas not too far off.

Thanks again,

Lora

MoneyTree 07-24-2010 08:13 AM

Thanks OP & repped. Hope they do this again next year :-).

Jroses 07-24-2010 11:56 AM

Sweet!

asbuchanan 07-25-2010 09:16 AM

great deal :)

1WingedAngel 07-25-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allypad (Post 31222846)
Dammit, my school restricts EDU addresses to faculty and staff - couldn't budge Amazon customer service - I offered to send them photocopies of my student ID, registration, etc....no dice...BOO!!:(

I did pretty much the same thing. They seem rather adamant about the .edu address.

Graco 07-25-2010 01:43 PM

:lmao: , i thought this thread was locked out. Guess its back.

spivey 07-25-2010 02:48 PM

Oh snap!

bigalpoulos 07-25-2010 06:08 PM

went back to college just for this!

cathwats 07-27-2010 10:44 AM

Thanks OP - repped! Both of my college-age sons signed up and passed the info on to their roommates. Thanks for helping the economically challenged students by posting this! =)

nahsay 07-27-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iflabs (Post 31260422)
I have only bought 2 items from Amazon since their inception. -_-

I'll bite... what did you get?

MissyMooMoo 07-28-2010 07:19 AM

Amazon Prime - Free One Year Membership for College Students

Sorry if this is repost. I searched but didn't find it posted.

Join Amazon Student and get FREE Two-Day Shipping for one year with a free Amazon Prime membership ($79 value), as well as exclusive offers via e-mail. There is no cost to join--sign up by providing your school, major, and .edu address. Not a student? You may still be eligible for a free trial of Amazon Prime.

http://amazon.com

RazorConcepts 07-28-2010 07:21 AM

searched and didn't find the 2000 post, 250,000+ view thread posted on 7/12 about this?

SHADOWE2001 07-28-2010 07:22 AM

Uh oh! Run Forest RUN!!!

freakintoddles 07-28-2010 07:23 AM

fail!

MissyMooMoo 07-28-2010 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazorConcepts (Post 31401186)
searched and didn't find the 2000 post, 250,000+ view thread posted on 7/12 about this?

Well, I searched using "amazon prime free" and got 1,000's of threads. I searched thru the first few pages and didn't see it.

Then I did the same with "amazon prime college" and searched the first few pages of results.

I haven't been able to get online much for the past two weeks. So, no, I didn't see it back on 7/12.

rmai2phat 07-28-2010 07:26 AM

wait!

FBomb 07-28-2010 07:26 AM

This can't be a serious post at this point can it? My mom, who doesn't even check slickdeals, knows about this deal.

RazorConcepts 07-28-2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissyMooMoo (Post 31401304)
Well, I searched using "amazon prime free" and got 1,000's of threads. I searched thru the first few pages and didn't see it.

Then I did the same with "amazon prime college" and searched the first few pages of results.

I haven't been able to get online much for the past two weeks. So, no, I didn't see it back on 7/12.

Hmm, I searched amazon prime college and the threads are 8th and 9th for me

OKsoccer24 07-28-2010 07:28 AM

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=726411&t=2130476

Probably just searching amazon prime woulnd't be good enough there, search amazon prime free college or even amazon prime college.

MissyMooMoo 07-28-2010 07:33 AM

Thank goodness the thread has been merged. Looked like my mistake was about to cause a major slickdeals meltdown. :)

phirephoto 07-28-2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissyMooMoo (Post 31401514)
Thank goodness the thread has been merged. Looked like my mistake was about to cause a major slickdeals meltdown. :)

Umm.. Nothing new here. You repost a thread, it gets merged,

MissyMooMoo 07-28-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phirephoto (Post 31403718)
Umm.. Nothing new here. You repost a thread, it gets merged,

I was referring to the people that got all upset instead of just mod-alerting it. But, you are right. There is nothing new about that.

revert 07-28-2010 10:41 AM

Amazon Prime 1 year free for Students

Great deal if you are a student.

Amazon Prime free for one year ($79 value)
Unlimited FREE Two-Day Shipping on textbooks and millions of other items
No minimum order size
Upgrades to One-Day shipping for $3.99/item
E-mail alerts for exclusive deals and promotions
It's free for students - sign up by providing your school and major

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/..._r_fa_amst

KingCoop 07-28-2010 10:42 AM

This has already been posted. It also became a front page deal.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=928496&t=2123032

VinhBach 07-28-2010 10:42 AM

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=423848&t=2123032

blackhawk556 07-29-2010 10:04 AM

when does this deal end?
I don't want to sign up now because I'm not planning on buying anything. I'll sign up the last day that way my year ends later. the good thing is that all of the items we buy this year during the holiday season will come in two days:bounce::woot::worship::omg:

XReflection 07-29-2010 10:11 AM

Lol at all the reposts..

darkshadow88 07-29-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savage3006 (Post 31436110)
when does this deal end?
I don't want to sign up now because I'm not planning on buying anything. I'll sign up the last day that way my year ends later. the good thing is that all of the items we buy this year during the holiday season will come in two days:bounce::woot::worship::omg:

Possibly never. In fact, it's quite possible that they'll extend the offer for additional years too, the premise being that you have free Prime throughout college, so that once you get a job after college, you'll be willing to pay for it.

This is supported by the following sentence in the terms and conditions: "If you sign up for an Amazon Student membership, for the first year of that membership, you will receive one free year of Amazon Prime. We may choose to extend this free offer for more than one year."

shinrob 07-29-2010 10:37 AM

:nod: Awesome! Rep

mrm16 07-29-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Possibly never. In fact, it's quite possible that they'll extend the offer for additional years too, the premise being that you have free Prime throughout college, so that once you get a job after college
you start paying your credit card debt :lmao:

localdeals 08-01-2010 06:24 AM

Dang, 5 attempts trying to sign up and yet to receive an email from amazon. I contacted college and was informed no issues on their end. cannot find anything in the spam folder either. any idea? TIA

Thatoneguythere 08-01-2010 01:58 PM

I just found this on the Amazon site and thank you. This is amazing for me.

1WingedAngel 08-03-2010 11:24 PM

I wish there was a way to get it without a .edu address. My school only provides them for faculty, so apparently I have no way of getting one... I'll keep sending them messages asking for another way to prove I'm a student and start making phone calls... maybe I can get a manager to override it or something.

kevolution 08-03-2010 11:42 PM

^Most accredited colleges have .edu e-mails that they give out to their students. What school do you go to?

I'm not sure if you're a high school but, the deal was obviously meant for college kids because they know how much we love to spend on things we don't need, and most college kids will have at least some source of income.

1WingedAngel 08-04-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevolution (Post 31562220)
^Most accredited colleges have .edu e-mails that they give out to their students. What school do you go to?

I'm not sure if you're a high school but, the deal was obviously meant for college kids because they know how much we love to spend on things we don't need, and most college kids will have at least some source of income.

Contra Costa College, California.
The funny part is that my college is also on their list.

bkobe7 08-04-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1WingedAngel (Post 31562540)
Contra Costa College, California.
The funny part is that my college is also on their list.

Email a faculty member you know. Have them click on the verification link for you. In return, promise your faculty member that you will add them to your 'family'. Money under the table occasionally works too. Win-win situation!

huevos 08-04-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkobe7 (Post 31569490)
Email a faculty member you know. Have them click on the verification link for you. In return, promise your faculty member that you will add them to your 'family'. Money under the table occasionally works too. Win-win situation!

Are you really suggesting that a student offer money under the table to a faculty member? I can't imagine a single professor actually taking you up on that.

Shan_Alan 08-04-2010 10:18 AM

awesome information.. I will share to friend

1WingedAngel 08-04-2010 12:41 PM

Yeah, I got back another email that said almost even more adamantly that they aren't doing it for anyone who doesn't have a .edu address. I'll talk to one of the computer teachers about who is in charge of the emails and maybe just offer the deal to them or something. I donno.

dudeofswim 08-04-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1WingedAngel (Post 31575534)
Yeah, I got back another email that said almost even more adamantly that they aren't doing it for anyone who doesn't have a .edu address. I'll talk to one of the computer teachers about who is in charge of the emails and maybe just offer the deal to them or something. I donno.

Just ask them if you can use thier edu email for a student promotion and they probably say sure why not. Just ask the admin if he could send one to a temp or testing edu address, say do you know amazon is offering free prime to students but they need a edu email, I want to get textbooks for your class ... continue on.. ;)

bkobe7 08-04-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huevos (Post 31569596)
Are you really suggesting that a student offer money under the table to a faculty member? I can't imagine a single professor actually taking you up on that.

Well you could offer hugs & kisses but that might be consider whoring yourself by some. :bounce:

dudeofswim 08-04-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkobe7 (Post 31575744)
Well you could offer hugs & kisses :bounce:

Hah! Imagine the lobbyists! :hug::hug::woot:

huevos 08-04-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuedWisdom (Post 31575668)
Just ask them if you can use thier edu email for a student promotion and they probably say sure why not. Just ask the admin if he could send one to a temp or testing edu address, say do you know amazon is offering free prime to students but they need a edu email, I want to get textbooks for your class ... continue on.. ;)

A web admin isn't a faculty member and unless your university has totally lax protocol and/or absolutely no oversight, I doubt you could pull this off without potential repercussions for either yourself or the admin you're bribing. A edu email address is often the only thing that is required by many many services to offer university-subsidized benefits and discounts. A web admin issuing a "temp" address could potentially be spending money on behalf of the university. In my experience, spending money that isn't yours is not generally appreciated by those who sign your paycheck.

What I was actually referring to was the suggestion that someone actually bribe a faculty member, i.e. a professor or instructor. Any faculty member that would even consider taking a bribe from a student, even for something this small, has no place in a university. In fact, I question anyone's judgement ability who would allow accounts controlled by third-parties to tied to a work email for a bribe, for less than $79, no less.

shadowhawk2020 08-04-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huevos (Post 31577596)
A web admin isn't a faculty member and unless your university has totally lax protocol and/or absolutely no oversight, I doubt you could pull this off without potential repercussions for either yourself or the admin you're bribing. A edu email address is often the only thing that is required by many many services to offer university-subsidized benefits and discounts. A web admin issuing a "temp" address could potentially be spending money on behalf of the university. In my experience, spending money that isn't yours is not generally appreciated by those who sign your paycheck.

What I was actually referring to was the suggestion that someone actually bribe a faculty member, i.e. a professor or instructor. Any faculty member that would even consider taking a bribe from a student, even for something this small, has no place in a university. In fact, I question anyone's judgement ability who would allow accounts controlled by third-parties to tied to a work email for a bribe, for less than $79, no less.

Just wanted to say thanks for this! I LOVE amazon prime but am too cheap to pay for it. I was just going to buy some schoolbooks and now they will get here on time :)

1WingedAngel 08-05-2010 04:03 AM

Just so everyone was clear, I wasn't going to bribe any faculty. When I said offer the deal to them, I meant offer them the amazon prime deal saying they can get it with a .edu. I've done this with certain professors that I work with often also outside of classes, like one who was planning on buying Portal, I told them of a FP deal that was here on SD and they appreciated it. I wouldn't ask for something that could get them into trouble. If they said "Sorry, students aren't allowed to have an .edu address." Then I'd say thanks for their time and drop it. If they said "Sure, that's no problem, we just don't give them out since we don't have a system that generates one for everyone automatically, so we just say its only for staff" then I'd go with that too. I agree that faculty that accept bribes for services that they normally wouldn't provide for someone has no place in our educational system.

solomoniq 08-05-2010 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephsully (Post 31022794)
Attention college students!
1 year Free Amazon Prime membership

Did a search and couldn't find this:

www.amazon.com/student

Requires:
-Valid .edu e-mail address
-Specify college, year and major

Go here to Sign Up [amazon.com]

Everything else is self-explanatory. Go to prime and manage your account. Should be activated and have an ending date 1 year from sign-up date. You are even able to add family members to the account like a regular prime subscription.

Updates to answer questions

Q: Will this automatically renew?
A: NO!

Q: Can I get this if I'm not a student (even if I have a .edu e-mail address)?
A: You might be able to. And you might not.
If you do not qualify and they catch you, Amazon will make you reimburse them for their costs

*I am not the arbiter of morality, but please don't abuse this by signing up if you do not meet Amazon's requirements*

Q: What happens if I already have a prime account?
A: I'm not sure, however people are reporting that if they currently have a prime account and they sign-up for the Amazon Student account, the following happens:
1. Their current prime account gets cancelled and they get a pro-rated refund
2. They get signed up for the free 1 year amazon student prime

Q: My .edu address isn't my Amazon.com address -- do I have to create a new account?
A: No

Q: Ohh my gosh, this is amazing, how can I thank you!?!?!
A: Students are notoriously poor. Many have to work minimum-wage jobs while taking classes to pay for rent, tuition and food. Let a student know about this deal and help them save money. Also, donating old books you have lying around the house to schools and libraries (especially those dealing with budget cuts) could potentially enrich a child's life and help them get interested in many different subjects and put them on the path to higher education.

"Join Amazon Student and get FREE Two-Day Shipping for one year with a free Amazon Prime membership ($79 value), as well as e-mail alerts for exclusive promotions. There is no cost to join--simply sign up by providing your school and major. If you’re not a student, you may still be eligible for a free trial of Amazon Prime."

Conditions for the curious (from Terms and Conditions)
T&C [amazon.com]

EDIT: This is really crazy!! Almost 2750 thumbs ups and counting! -- Over 3900 reps (I started with only 17!) Thanks everyone for all the support!

Here's the back story of how this deal came about: My sister-in-law really wanted a prime account since their's had just ended a short time go. She kept asking if I wanted to split one with her and my other siblings, but the rest of us weren't so keen on the idea because we didn't have that much of a need for it.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon, she calls me and tells me about this Amazon Student thing and asks if I've ever heard of it. I told her no and did a search on slickdeals and google and couldn't find a thing on it. I went to the website she gave me and saw that you get Prime free for a year if you're a student, etc. etc. I verified it worked and that you could add family members to the account.

As soon as that happened, I posted it here since I've been a member for a while, but never posted a deal before (everyone is really quick on the uptake for this kind of stuff so by the time I find out about something, it's probably been on here for days already). I wanted to give back to everyone and this was the perfect opportunity.

The rest as they say, is history (1 day old history!)

Many thanks. I am signing up!

muddywaters909 08-10-2010 10:59 AM

Free 1 year amazon prime with student email address

Amazon is giving away a free one year trial of Amazon prime with a student email address. The student email address must end in .edu.

This is my first post so forgive for any mistakes.
Also help with the rep
Thanks

vandelay101 08-10-2010 08:41 PM

Kent State..worked like a charm! This beats the 6months I got free last time for buying text books!

stormrider82 08-10-2010 09:43 PM

Join Amazon Student and get FREE Two-Day Shipping for one year

thanks

Penguo 08-11-2010 04:35 AM

Solid! Thanks OP, repped~

crystalgslone 08-11-2010 06:45 AM

I have a question I have never signed up for a trial of amazon Prime.When signing up for the trial do they put the $79 on hold or do they take any money out at all? or just when your trial period is over?
Iam dying to order the baby fetal doppler Iam going to be a new mommmy and I would love to get it quick!

thanks!