Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Asus RT-N12 Wireless N Router (DD-WRT & Tomato Compatible) $30 (http://slickdeals.net/f/2148504-asus-rt-n12-wireless-n-router-dd-wrt-tomato-compatible-30)

kevperz 07-27-2010 03:49 AM

Asus RT-N12 Wireless N Router (DD-WRT & Tomato Compatible) $30

Newegg has the ASUS RT-N12 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE802.11n Draft 2 SuperSpeedN Wireless Router

with

DD-WRT support/ 300Mbps

for 29.99 with free shipping after promo code EMCYVNV42

limit 5 per customer

LINK [newegg.com]

DJ3xclusive 07-27-2010 03:49 AM

Asus RT-N12 Wireless N Router (DD-WRT & Tomato Compatible) $30

1 Attachment(s)
Newegg has Asus RT-N12 Wireless N Router (DD-WRT & Tomato Compatible) for $35 - $5 off with code EMCYVNV42 = $30 with free shipping. Next lowest price in-stock item on Google Products is $41 shipped. Thanks kevperz

wikipost 07-27-2010 03:49 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

DEAL IS ALIVE

http://www.tomatousb.org

You want Kernel 2.6 (experimental) for MIPSR2 NoUSB Std or NoUSB VPN

Flashing Instructions from linksysinfo [linksysinfo.org]
Quote:

To flash Asus RT-N16 and RT-N12 with this build, use Asus Firmware Restoration Utility (worked like a charm for me many times before I was able to produce a bootable firmware image), or load DD-WRT first, and then flash Tomato from DD-WRT Web UI following this step-by-step guide by soldier and cariyawa.

ASUS Download Page [asus.com] (Choose Wireless->AP/Router->RT-N12)

I don't think I'm splitting hairs here and it should be mentioned...
This router is not compatible with the original Tomato firmware, but it is compatible with Tomato mods such as "Tomato USB" or the "Teddy Bear Tomato Mod."

To use N in client mode or repeater bridge mode, you must install DD-WRT. Tomato doesn't support it. For all other uses, use Tomato - the interface is far better.

If you must use DD-WRT, use dd-wrt.v24-14684_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12.trx from here. [ftp]

SPECS:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index....vices#Asus

i4ybrid 07-27-2010 04:14 AM

Aww, I came to post this, you beat me to it. In 4 1

technica 07-27-2010 04:17 AM

good deal

OOQO 07-27-2010 04:42 AM

in for one

CousinIT 07-27-2010 04:48 AM

in for one great Tomato router........

out with a totally sucky Buffalo WHR-G300N Ralink POS.....worst Buffalo product I ever owned.....

OOQO 07-27-2010 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CousinIT (Post 31371712)

out with a totally sucky Buffalo WHR-G300N Ralink POS.....worst Buffalo product I ever owned.....

I can't see N12 in their website, are you sure Tomato support this router, can you please post a link for the FW. thanks

pburkett 07-27-2010 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CousinIT (Post 31371712)

Haha you and I both. Got rid of my WHR-G300N and bought another Asus G router that was posted a few months ago on slickdeals. Of course the Asus power supply died and now I'm back to the Buffalo router...FML

dbz 07-27-2010 05:51 AM

Here is the link to Tomato firmware for N12

http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums...hp?t=63587

jimuk 07-27-2010 05:55 AM

no USB on this one !

dbz 07-27-2010 05:59 AM

If you want USB then you are looking for the N16.

KingPing 07-27-2010 06:30 AM

anyone own this router and who would like to offer their opinion on functionality? would you buy again?

dbz 07-27-2010 06:42 AM

I owned 520GU, RTN16 and RTN12. I would buy all of them again

buy4free 07-27-2010 06:50 AM

Need help

I have a old Netgear-G router set-up in my home that I am using for long time without any problem. I am no expert with these Tech things.

I am wondering what are these dd-wrt or USB (or similar kind) routers do extra than G routers? I know there is some N routers which is upgraded (mostly speed?) version of G routers.

I would like to learn about this so that I can buy a "updated" router.

donkinuts 07-27-2010 06:57 AM

The reviews on Newegg don't look so good. Among the 60+ reviews, 25% of them are for 1-star ratings. :shake:

On another note, would I be able to wirelessly bridge this with my WL-520GU router via Tomato? Even though that is a G router? They both run on 2.4ghz frequency range, no?

sabzilla 07-27-2010 07:01 AM

I'm in for one... I don't need ridiculous range, just the speed :)

donkinuts 07-27-2010 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buy4free (Post 31373164)
I have a old Netgear-G router set-up in my home that I am using for long time without any problem. I am no expert with these Tech things.

I am wondering what are these dd-wrt or USB (or similar kind) routers do extra than G routers? I know there is some N routers which is upgraded (mostly speed?) version of G routers.

By the sound of your post, you don't come across as tech savvy. ;)
Well in a nutshell: wireless N is a new standard which is much faster than wireless G. Alot of routers these days come with a built-in USB port, allowing you to attach USB devices that can be shared such as printers & external hard drives.

KingPing 07-27-2010 07:05 AM

TY, got one. Forgot to put the code in til i re-read the OP. Cancelled and reordered with no problem.

caveman017 07-27-2010 07:08 AM

This does NOT have USB. Still am interested.

I'm looking at replacing a WRT54G that has been rock solid for 4 years.

Question: If I mix N and G devices, does the N fall back to G speed?

FBomb 07-27-2010 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buy4free (Post 31373164)

This has much faster speed capabilities. However, keep in mind that you will see absolutely no difference in speed unless you have or upgrade your wireless network card in your pc to a wireless 'N' card. If you have devices that are already wireless 'N' then you will should see a substantial increase in network speed between those devices.

dcs693 07-27-2010 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman017 (Post 31373476)
This does NOT have USB. Still am interested.

I'm looking at replacing a WRT54G that has been rock solid for 4 years.

Question: If I mix N and G devices, does the N fall back to G speed?

Yes, when G devices are connected to the router. Once they're off you're back to full N speeds. Also please keep in mind that most people use wireless connections merely to surf the Internet. Most Internet services comes down at 3-5Mbps, which is far slower than the theoretical G speed max of 54Mbps. Even on a bad G connection where you're surfing at 1Mbps, that's still plenty fast for email and web pages - not for YouTube though. You'll only really experience the advantages of N if you're transferring large amounts of data between computers or streaming video. I always believe in having more capacity than you think you need if the cost isn't that much higher.

For $30, unless you need USB, Gigabit ports, or dual-band (which I think is overrated), buy this router. I've been running it for about 6 months on tomato and it's been like a rock. No issues whatsoever. Also runs dd-wrt.

caveman017 07-27-2010 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcs693 (Post 31373716)
Yes, when G devices are connected to the router. Once they're off you're back to full N speeds.

Damn, that sucks :-(

Both of my roommates aren't tech-savvy so are using older laptops with G cards. Guess I'll never get to take advantage of N

buy4free 07-27-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkinuts (Post 31373430)
By the sound of your post, you don't come across as tech savvy. ;)
Well in a nutshell: wireless N is a new standard which is much faster than wireless G. Alot of routers these days come with a built-in USB port, allowing you to attach USB devices that can be shared such as printers & external hard drives.

Thanks donkinuts for your reply.

So, if I connect an external hard drive with the USB port of the next-generation router, I would be able to acess that hard drive from all the computers (lets say three computers) at the same time?

Also if I connect a "regular" printer with the USB port, can I use it as a "wireless" printer (i.e. print though the same printer from any computer connected to the router)?

In your last post, you talk about some "tomato" to connect (or bridge) two routers. What is that or how does it work? Actually, I am interested to get a router which has a "Huge" (/maximum) range so that I can "Wirelessly" connect my desktop sitting far away (out of range) from the routers right now. Does this N routers covers larger area than G? I am mostly interested in "range" plus all other cool features (rather than speed because all my laptops/desktop have have G connectivity, so I can not get N speed anyway).

Sorry, for asking all this trivial questions. Anyway, thanks a lot, again!

HighwayToHell 07-27-2010 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman017 (Post 31373802)

Both of my roommates aren't tech-savvy so are using older laptops with G cards. Guess I'll never get to take advantage of N

Unless you talk them into purchasing N adapters.......... Deals come along for around $10.

buy4free 07-27-2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FBomb (Post 31373504)
This has much faster speed capabilities. However, keep in mind that you will see absolutely no difference in speed unless you have or upgrade your wireless network card in your pc to a wireless 'N' card. If you have devices that are already wireless 'N' then you will should see a substantial increase in network speed between those devices.

Thanks FBomb for your help.

I also asked this to Donkinuts before: Can you tell me a good router which has a very good range? Does this N routers cover larger area than G? Actually, I am interested to get a router which has a "Huge" (/maximum) range so that I can "Wirelessly" connect my desktop sitting far away (out of range) from the routers right now.

buy4free 07-27-2010 07:35 AM

Quote:

I've been running it for about 6 months on tomato and it's been like a rock. No issues whatsoever. Also runs dd-wrt.

what is "tomato" and "dd-wrt"? sorry for asking this.

sickdell 07-27-2010 07:37 AM

Does anyone know if I can use this as a wireless bridge with a buffalo N router with or without ddwrt?

HighwayToHell 07-27-2010 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buy4free (Post 31374008)

Third party firmware. You can replace the Asus firmware with one of these if you wish.

vinny64a 07-27-2010 07:43 AM

Quote:

Yes, when G devices are connected to the router. Once they're off you're back to full N speeds. Also please keep in mind that most people use wireless connections merely to surf the Internet. Most Internet services comes down at 3-5Mbps, which is far slower than the theoretical G speed max of 54Mbps. Even on a bad G connection where you're surfing at 1Mbps, that's still plenty fast for email and web pages - not for YouTube though. You'll only really experience the advantages of N if you're transferring large amounts of data between computers or streaming video. I always believe in having more capacity than you think you need if the cost isn't that much higher.

For $30, unless you need USB, Gigabit ports, or dual-band (which I think is overrated), buy this router. I've been running it for about 6 months on tomato and it's been like a rock. No issues whatsoever. Also runs dd-wrt.

Dam.... that stinks. So this doesn't help when you have older NICs like a Nintendo Wii using your wireless network.

dbz 07-27-2010 07:48 AM

The question is why do you need N. Unless there is a lot of traffics in your network like backing up or streaming videos all the time, N doesn't really help out. Keep in mind just because you are connecting at N speed does not mean you get N speed. If you have 30 APs around the area like I have, you will get crappy speed no matter what.

buy4free 07-27-2010 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighwayToHell (Post 31374064)
Third party firmware. You can replace the Asus firmware with one of these if you wish.

Thanks a lot!

What is the difference between a router and an access point? Does access point wirelessly transmit signal similar to router? Or are they just receivers? I am trying to increase the range of my router and so wondering if putting an access point away from the router would be a help in order to cover more area.

dhc014 07-27-2010 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buy4free (Post 31374960)
Thanks a lot!

What is the difference between a router and an access point? Does access point wirelessly transmit signal similar to router? Or are they just receivers? I am trying to increase the range of my router and so wondering if putting an access point away from the router would be a help in order to cover more area.

A router provides a DHCP server to manage connections from different devices to the network, an access point does not do this.

Most wireless routers are actually both a router and an AP. Adding an access point to your network in a different location would certainly improve the reception in that location. You will have to run a wire from your main router out to the access point unless you can configure it as a wireless bridge which is a bit more complicated.

dcs693 07-27-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sickdell (Post 31374054)
Does anyone know if I can use this as a wireless bridge with a buffalo N router with or without ddwrt?

I'm pretty sure you will only be able to do it with dd-wrt. I never used the stock firmware and tomato does not support this.

dcs693 07-27-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buy4free (Post 31374008)

As was stated, these are both 3rd party firmwares. They are NOT supported by Asus. You'd want them if they provided features the stock firmware did not. I've found both dd-wrt and tomato to be extremely stable. dd-wrt allows things like wireless repeating & bridging and "virtual" SSIDs for guest users. tomato shines in QoS settings. Both allow you to increase or decrease the transmit power of your wireless antennas (but keep in mind that won't help them to receive stronger signals, so it's not as good as you would initially think).

tomato is more user-friendly, but dd-wrt is feature-packed.

nanikore 07-27-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbz (Post 31374340)
The question is why do you need N. Unless there is a lot of traffics in your network like backing up or streaming videos all the time, N doesn't really help out. Keep in mind just because you are connecting at N speed does not mean you get N speed. If you have 30 APs around the area like I have, you will get crappy speed no matter what.

I guess you don't play games like Team Fortress 2 a lot.

...Just wait until you have to load up a custom level while online

SilverB18C1 07-27-2010 10:41 AM

Great router. I have mine running as a wireless bridge using Tomato, connected to an N16. Works perfectly.

Doremon 07-27-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverB18C1 (Post 31378662)
Great router. I have mine running as a wireless bridge using Tomato, connected to an N16. Works perfectly.

Do you have your RT N16 running N only and then your RT N12 running in mixed mode for legacy devices? I currently have the same setup and that's why I am asking.

starwarsfr3ak 07-27-2010 10:54 AM

This is a damn good router for the price. Got one of these during the last sale and flashed Tomato on it. Believe me, you'll want to because the Asus firmware sucks.

It has a good connection but unfortunately my internet still sucks. Glad I'm moving in a month and getting out of Time Warner's grip for good.

chris686 07-27-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

This is incorrect. Your whole network will not reduce itself to G speeds if one G device is accessing it.

I'm running a G laptop and N desktop adapter as we speak, and my desktop is running at 150MBps.

pnuticus 07-27-2010 10:56 AM

Added to wiki...
Flashing Instructions from linksysinfo [linksysinfo.org]
Quote:

To flash Asus RT-N16 and RT-N12 with this build, use Asus Firmware Restoration Utility (worked like a charm for me many times before I was able to produce a bootable firmware image), or load DD-WRT first, and then flash Tomato from DD-WRT Web UI following this step-by-step guide by soldier and cariyawa.
ASUS Download Page for Utility [asus.com] (Choose Wireless->AP/Router->RT-N12)

rixsaw 07-27-2010 11:03 AM

I'm currently using this router. It appears to handle traffic better than my ancient Netgear b,g router. However, the router slows to a crawl every week or 2 depending on your usage. This forces me to do a cold boot. This doesn't happen with my ancient Netgear. I have not used tomatos or dd-rwt firmware so I can't comment on that. Yes it's cheap, I got it around the same price last BF. However, I WOULD NOT recommend it to anyone.

borgdrone 07-27-2010 11:11 AM

How does it compare with WRT54G-T with DDWRT Installed?

vihit 07-27-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris686 (Post 31379012)
This is incorrect. Your whole network will not reduce itself to G speeds if one G device is accessing it.

I'm running a G laptop and N desktop adapter as we speak, and my desktop is running at 150MBps.

Your computer's OS will still show 150 Mbps, but your real speed has gone down to G speed. If you have your router set up with DD-WRT, it will show you your true speed on it's config or status pages.

mrnadir 07-27-2010 11:17 AM

If only this supported the Potato firmware.

dhc014 07-27-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rixsaw (Post 31379286)
I'm currently using this router. It appears to handle traffic better than my ancient Netgear b,g router. However, the router slows to a crawl every week or 2 depending on your usage. This forces me to do a cold boot. This doesn't happen with my ancient Netgear. I have not used tomatos or dd-rwt firmware so I can't comment on that. Yes it's cheap, I got it around the same price last BF. However, I WOULD NOT recommend it to anyone.

You need to switch to Tomato

Quote:

Originally Posted by borgdrone (Post 31379534)
How does it compare with WRT54G-T with DDWRT Installed?

That one doesn't support 802.11n

Quote:

Originally Posted by vihit (Post 31379608)
Your computer's OS will still show 150 Mbps, but your real speed has gone down to G speed. If you have your router set up with DD-WRT, it will show you your true speed on it's config or status pages.

DD-WRT's reported connection speeds are not always right either.

dcs693 07-27-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vihit (Post 31379608)

^ What he said.

Depending on which OS you're using, you're probably looking at the "reported" maximum speed. Sort of like when you plug in a LAN cable and your computer tells you "Connected at 100Mbps". You're never really at 100Mbps. Do a LAN speed test with iperf if you're interested in knowing the true speed you're getting.

SilverB18C1 07-27-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doremon (Post 31378944)
Do you have your RT N16 running N only and then your RT N12 running in mixed mode for legacy devices? I currently have the same setup and that's why I am asking.

I have both set to Auto under Wireless Network Mode. And I don't think Tomato allows for wireless clients to connect to a router when it's in 'Wireless Ethernet Bridge' mode. DD-WRT has a mode called Repeater Bridge, that will allow wireless clients to connect to a router that's in bridge mode. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

psy2cr8zy 07-27-2010 11:33 AM

Using this router right now and it is a good router especially for the price. but the power adapter it came with broke with in 20 mins of usage but luckily my old router's adapter is the same voltage and works with it. that is the only problem with the router. the range is decent and it looks nice. worth the $30 but anymore you should buy a router with usb and other premium features.

dcs693 07-27-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverB18C1 (Post 31380188)
I have both set to Auto under Wireless Network Mode. And I don't think Tomato allows for wireless clients to connect to a router when it's in 'Wireless Ethernet Bridge' mode. DD-WRT has a mode called Repeater Bridge, that will allow wireless clients to connect to a router that's in bridge mode. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe you're right. Tomato, the last time I checked, does not do repeater bridge.

cmpe 07-27-2010 11:35 AM

This is a great router for dd-wrt. Bought two within the past few months, one as primary and the other as a wireless bridge. dd-wrt was extremely easy to install and both routers have been very stable. QoS functionality with dd-wrt is awesome. With an old router that I had, I used to have to put a cap on download bandwidth on the computer to be able to play lag-free on the xbox360. With the QoS, I can let my computer max out the bandwidth and I could still play MW2 with no lag.

Very well recommended.

iDreamiDo 07-27-2010 11:39 AM

Got one thnx...this will be replacing my aging netgear 624 router..

cisengineer 07-27-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbz (Post 31373026)
I owned 520GU, RTN16 and RTN12. I would buy all of them again

Ditto on all counts. Although you MUST put Tomato on them! With Tomato I've never had a lockup or dropped connection--Though I do set them to reboot weekly just because they can and it can't hurt.

T0mmy 07-27-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nestle (Post 31380320)
This is a great router for dd-wrt. Bought two within the past few months, one as primary and the other as a wireless bridge. dd-wrt was extremely easy to install and both routers have been very stable. QoS functionality with dd-wrt is awesome. With an old router that I had, I used to have to put a cap on download bandwidth on the computer to be able to play lag-free on the xbox360. With the QoS, I can let my computer max out the bandwidth and I could still play MW2 with no lag.

Very well recommended.

That's the same thing I'm thinking about doing with 2 of these. I'll shop around for a little bit more today, but I think I found my 2 routers.

Where'd you pick up your firmware from?

CodeZion 07-27-2010 11:46 AM

Crap! I got this router just last week from the Egg for $40. Do you guys know if Newegg would price match? I can ask them but was wondering if anyone else had that happen before.

After getting this router I immediately flashed it to DD-WRT. The upgrade was a breeze and it seems to be working rock solid so far. I have another cheap router that I have bridged with the RT-N12 that I use to connect to my entertainment devices. That setup so far has worked pretty well although I haven't had a chance to fully test it all out yet. I am currently playing with the iptables on the router. I want to be able to use an external proxy server for all traffic coming from one of the hosts on my network. I haven't figured that out yet but am getting pretty close. I wish I knew of an easy way to configure this either with DD-WRT or with Tomato.

So I give a thumbs up on this router and the deal.

Doremon 07-27-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcs693 (Post 31380296)
I believe you're right. Tomato, the last time I checked, does not do repeater bridge.

You are correct....Currently have my RT N16 as main router running tomato as an access point in N mode only and then the RT N12 running DD-WRT as a Wireless Repeater Bridge for legacy devices and guest to use with older laptops. I was just asking if anyone had the same setup to see their input.
router is awesome though with DD-WRT and I have never had to reboot and mess with it. Make sure to do a 30-30-30 reset though after installing DD-WRT.

Troublestylist 07-27-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buy4free (Post 31373960)
Thanks FBomb for your help.

I also asked this to Donkinuts before: Can you tell me a good router which has a very good range? Does this N routers cover larger area than G? Actually, I am interested to get a router which has a "Huge" (/maximum) range so that I can "Wirelessly" connect my desktop sitting far away (out of range) from the routers right now.

No. N routers use the same 2.4ghz band and will have the same range (less on the 5ghz band). THey may get more throughput at the fringes, but won't get any farther.

You'd want something like this on the router side:
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=33546&t=2147824

and something like this on the computer side:
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=33546&t=2138496

The Alfa adapter may be sufficient with your current router.

arneljr 07-27-2010 11:56 AM

Ok guys I've had this router for like 6 months now, but haven't been using it. I don't know if I should go with DD-WRT or Tomato. Although, DD-WRT seems to have more features than Tomato. I already know how to flash the firmware, anyone know which is more stable? I am planning to use it to extend my wi-fi in my house.

pnuticus 07-27-2010 12:05 PM

If you want a wireless repeater, you'll have to go with DD-WRT, as Tomato does not have that functionality.

jjbehren 07-27-2010 12:19 PM

I have an older Zyxel x-550 (rock-solid router out of the box, btw) that I use as the wireless router in my house. I'm thinking about buying this router to use as a bridge at my entertainment center.

Do both routers need to be flashed with DD-WRT/Tomato to use this as a bridge, or would this work as a bridge with my older, non-DD-WRT/Tomato compatible router?

In the long run, I'm gonig to replace the zyxel with the N16 and run the N12 as a repeater/bridge, but I'd like to know if the set-up mentioned above will work in the short run.

Thanks.

pnuticus 07-27-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjbehren (Post 31381594)
I have an older Zyxel x-550 (rock-solid router out of the box, btw) that I use as the wireless router in my house. I'm thinking about buying this router to use as a bridge at my entertainment center.

Do both routers need to be flashed with DD-WRT/Tomato to use this as a bridge, or would this work as a bridge with my older, non-DD-WRT/Tomato compatible router?

In the long run, I'm gonig to replace the zyxel with the N16 and run the N12 as a repeater/bridge, but I'd like to know if the set-up mentioned above will work in the short run.

Thanks.

The ASUS with DD-WRT should be able to be used as a repeater bridge piggy-backing off the old Zyxel (without DD-WRT), as long as it can match up the SSID, channel, wireless security, etc (and it should without any problems).

DD-WRT Repeater Bridge Tutorial [dd-wrt.com]

cmpe 07-27-2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T0mmy (Post 31380586)
That's the same thing I'm thinking about doing with 2 of these. I'll shop around for a little bit more today, but I think I found my 2 routers.

Where'd you pick up your firmware from?

I used this firmware from dd-wrt.com:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de...2.trx/3486

CousinIT 07-27-2010 01:06 PM

I use Teddy Bear tomato on my N16 and it is rock solid.....hope the same for the N12.....

ak47gen 07-27-2010 01:26 PM

Tomato supports repeater mode. Default tomato only supports WDS mode....which I recommend WDS anyways. Teddybear supports both Bridging and WDS I believe. As for DD-WRT user I recommend using Tomato instead, its a lot more stable and has more throughput. And with RT-12 with 3 bars still outputs over 5,000 kbs...can't say much for the RT-N10 though......my rosewill wireless G does more output then RT-N10 wireless N....but the firmware is still being work on (its not even suppose to be supported by tomato teddy bear mod).

pnuticus 07-27-2010 01:40 PM

Do you have documentation on the repeater mode? I've been trying to do that with one of my Buffalo routers, but couldn't ever find any.

Edit: Ahh, looks like it does the virtual interfaces like DD-WRT. I might have to flash my router with Tomato USB. Thanks!

ak47gen 07-27-2010 02:44 PM

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomatof..._i_use_wds

Tomato as a repeater is much more stable.

Also enable Spanning-Tree Protocol. Under Advanced/Routing

tinkusaheb 07-27-2010 02:56 PM

In for 2, thanks

orangeslick 07-27-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

If your adapter supports it, you could get a dual-band router and leave them to wallow in the 2.4GHz swamp while you enjoy the clean, refreshing 5GHz area.

arneljr 07-27-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ak47gen (Post 31385724)

Hey man I read the link you gave, bare with me I'm not much of an expert using Tomato WDS. What if my main router (which is a DSL router) doesn't have WDS mode? How do I go about making WDS work with my RT-N12? I have a Linksys WRT54-GS flashed with DD-WRT already but I don't know how to set that up with my DSL router either.

Zoomer 07-27-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangeslick (Post 31387792)
If your adapter supports it, you could get a dual-band router and leave them to wallow in the 2.4GHz swamp while you enjoy the clean, refreshing 5GHz area.

Or just plug in.

spaaarky21 07-27-2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingPing (Post 31372802)
anyone own this router and who would like to offer their opinion on functionality? would you buy again?

I bought one of these a while back. The wireless was unreliable. I bricked it flashing it with DD-WRT.

Much more recently, I flashed a friend's RT-N12 with DD-WRT because it wasn't working very well in repeater mode. Once again, the wireless wasn't very reliable. It's not any better with DD-WRT. I would not recommend this router. However, the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH is on sale now too. I'm very happy with it now that the DD-WRT bugs are sorted out.

cisengineer 07-27-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaaarky21 (Post 31388778)
I bought one of these a while back. The wireless was unreliable. I bricked it flashing it with DD-WRT.

Much more recently, I flashed a friend's RT-N12 with DD-WRT because it wasn't working very well in repeater mode. Once again, the wireless wasn't very reliable. It's not any better with DD-WRT. I would not recommend this router. However, the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH is on sale now too. I'm very happy with it now that the DD-WRT bugs are sorted out.

I had issues with this router and DD-WRT - As a bridge it kept dropping connections. Again, I can't stress enough - SWITCH TO TOMATO!! - And you won't ever have issues again.

YoManWhat 07-27-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinkusaheb (Post 31386034)
In for 2, thanks

In for 2 also, going to set up Tomato w/ WDS on these pups and I think we'll have a winning solution that will hopefully span a few floors of the crib better than the WHR-834's I got last year around this time (weak signal/poor throughput streaming).
Anyone have experience with a setup using a more beefy antenna - I've got a couple D-link 7db magnetic base antennas I'd like to use with these 2, but since they've each got 2 antennae, how would one go about this? Only use one of the posts and remove the other stock one, or leave the stock in place? Which channel would be better to use the 7db on, L or R? TIA Oh yeah, thx OP -rep'd & TU :wave:

LaraCroft 07-27-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

A possibility but not the best configuration (besides wasting more electricity): maybe plug in an 802.11g router (or whatever secondary router that you have) to one of the LAN ports on this router and have your roommates connect to that secondary router. I think that'd work but I'm not sure how it'd need to be configured if you need to be on the same subnet as your roommates.

But, unless you yourself have several 802.11n devices being networked through this router and you do data transfers between them quite a bit, chances are your ISP connection is the bottleneck for your connection to the Internet.

jrobles376 07-27-2010 08:10 PM

I would like to set-up 3 anyone know if this is possible with dd-wrt?
1.Home Office main router
2.Family Room Repeater Bridge Mode
3.Bedroom Standard Bridge Mode

dcs693 07-27-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrobles376 (Post 31392852)
I would like to set-up 3 anyone know if this is possible with dd-wrt?
1.Home Office main router
2.Family Room Repeater Bridge Mode
3.Bedroom Standard Bridge Mode

Sure, it's possible with dd-wrt.

jrobles376 07-27-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcs693 (Post 31392906)
Sure, it's possible with dd-wrt.

thanks in for 3

mykie 07-27-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighwayToHell (Post 31373956)
Unless you talk them into purchasing N adapters.......... Deals come along for around $10.

Or, you can get the Wireless N router for yourself, and leave the G router in for your roomates...

There's no law saying you can't run two side-by-side :)

pitasoup 07-27-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cisengineer (Post 31389044)
I had issues with this router and DD-WRT - As a bridge it kept dropping connections. Again, I can't stress enough - SWITCH TO TOMATO!! - And you won't ever have issues again.

I've returned two of these to Amazon, same issues with dropped connections. This model works fine for about a week, then progressively gets worse.

Flashing with DD-WRT works but didn't resolve the issues. My assumption is that it is hardware related. Didn't try Tomato though.

Would not recommend.

DBC 07-27-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cisengineer (Post 31389044)

I think people that have problems with dd-wrt are the ones that only try only one certain build and give up on it. if your aren't happy with a certain build, look for another build on their ftp site and read the forums.

cartoonbomb 07-27-2010 10:20 PM

I've been waiting for another n speed router deal to come along! Thanks op!

SilverB18C1 07-27-2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBC (Post 31395326)
I think people that have problems with dd-wrt are the ones that only try only one certain build and give up on it. if your aren't happy with a certain build, look for another build on their ftp site and read the forums.

Yep

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/view...c&start=60

Towards the bottom, someone with with the same wireless drop problems recommends build 14684

brbubba 07-27-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ak47gen (Post 31383416)
Tomato supports repeater mode. Default tomato only supports WDS mode....which I recommend WDS anyways. Teddybear supports both Bridging and WDS I believe. As for DD-WRT user I recommend using Tomato instead, its a lot more stable and has more throughput. And with RT-12 with 3 bars still outputs over 5,000 kbs...can't say much for the RT-N10 though......my rosewill wireless G does more output then RT-N10 wireless N....but the firmware is still being work on (its not even suppose to be supported by tomato teddy bear mod).

Heads up on WDS. My 520gu's with Tomato would only do WDS in WPA/AES. TKIP absolutely would not work. Don't know if this has the same issue, but at least you were warned in case you run into problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arneljr (Post 31388230)
Hey man I read the link you gave, bare with me I'm not much of an expert using Tomato WDS. What if my main router (which is a DSL router) doesn't have WDS mode? How do I go about making WDS work with my RT-N12? I have a Linksys WRT54-GS flashed with DD-WRT already but I don't know how to set that up with my DSL router either.

It might work if you have DDWRT on both devices, no guarantees though. Worst case, just run repeater mode with DDWRT.

alexgroove 07-27-2010 11:32 PM

got in on the Linksys T-MOBILE WRT54G-TM 32mb 802.11g Wireless Router deal a little while back. running tomato on it now. will this asus be better for streaming movies from my pc's hard drive to my PS3 ? the linksys has been ok but freezing has been constant, looking for something quicker that'll work with my PS3.

n3rdftw 07-27-2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanikore (Post 31378550)
I guess you don't play games like Team Fortress 2 a lot.

...Just wait until you have to load up a custom level while online

doubt you can oversaturate G wireless speed with a consumer grade internet connection.. unless you're rocking a t1 line or something, dont worry about N vs G if you already have a G wireless router that works fine for you

however, buy this N router to future proof yourself if you actually need a wireless router

if you're tech savvy, ignore my post, working in IT has made me dumb myself down :(

brbubba 07-27-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexgroove (Post 31396294)
got in on the Linksys T-MOBILE WRT54G-TM 32mb 802.11g Wireless Router deal a little while back. running tomato on it now. will this asus be better for streaming movies from my pc's hard drive to my PS3 ? the linksys has been ok but freezing has been constant, looking for something quicker that'll work with my PS3.

All versions of the PS3 are 802.11g, so you would likely be limited by that. As far as the routers go, the wrt54g TM has a 200mhz processor, the N12 has a 300mhz processor, so it would be faster. Whether this translates into improved performance for your system, who knows. Better solution is to use a wired link to the PS3.

Harrrysan 07-27-2010 11:42 PM

Thanks OP! Perfect timing as my old linksys just took a crapper after 5 solid years. Great upgrade!

mnlv 07-27-2010 11:48 PM

I am in real dilemma about this router. The most important feature to me is the range and speed for N transmission.

All my PCs are upstairs connected with wire. The only wireless devices are an HTPC downstairs and a laptop both with N USB adapters. I want to stream 1080P video from my PCs to HTPC without shutter. Currently I am using a TRENDnet TEW-631BRP. The speed is actually 35-50Mb/s though the utility shows the HTPC is connected with 270Mb/s.

I tried D-Link DIR-655 thinking that maybe my 100Mb/s Ethernet is the bottleneck but the speed is even worse with the new router and utility shows only 130Mb/s connection.

Now If I get this router, will I be able to stream without a shutter? that is the question.

fpsmania 07-27-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdftw (Post 31396314)
doubt you can oversaturate G wireless speed with a consumer grade internet connection.. unless you're rocking a t1 line or something, dont worry about N vs G if you already have a G wireless router that works fine for you

err, T1 is 1.544 Mbit... My puny $35/mo comcast line is 12Mbit
T1 was a rockin' line maybe in 1990s :P

But yeah, I agree with in-home internet not saturating G-bandwidth.

quality28 07-28-2010 12:17 AM

I was looking for a new WIRED router. I found out this can also be used as a WIRED router. I buy this because i need a new wired router, and the wireless is just free.

Thanks slickdeals. but please list this as a wired/wireless router. I am sure many out there are interested in a wired router as well.

cisengineer 07-28-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quality28 (Post 31396680)
I was looking for a new WIRED router. I found out this can also be used as a WIRED router. I buy this because i need a new wired router, and the wireless is just free.

Thanks slickdeals. but please list this as a wired/wireless router. I am sure many out there are interested in a wired router as well.

You have got to be kidding ?!

rjoshi999 07-28-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

i was looking for a new wired router. I found out this can also be used as a wired router. I buy this because i need a new wired router, and the wireless is just free.

Thanks slickdeals. But please list this as a wired/wireless router. I am sure many out there are interested in a wired router as well.

lol :d

kinokuniya 07-28-2010 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cisengineer (Post 31396772)

Just so you know, many homes would go for wired, unless they are stuck with wireless only option.

badfishlbc 07-28-2010 12:55 AM

Quote:

I was looking for a router that doesn't use any power and I completely forgot to check if this one does. I rode my carriage in from Lancaster to pick this up at the post office in Philadelphia. After riding back, I let one of my kids open up the box and I'll be damned, this f***ing router needs electricity.

So OP, please put ELECTRIC in the title so as not to confuse people like myself.

quality28 07-28-2010 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cisengineer (Post 31396772)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjoshi999 (Post 31396794)
lol :d

ASUS RT-N12: Ports 1 x 10/100M WAN; 4 x 10/100M LAN

It is a wired router. I hope it works very well. My 4 year old netgear RP614v2 (best buy MIR = 40 dollars), was uncompatible with the cox "ARRIS DOCSIS 2.0 / PacketCable 1.0 Touchstone Telephony Modem " "MODEL: TM602G " VOIP modem they provided me.

I was running a Motorola SURFboard® Cable Modem SB5120, until cox changed it to a slower and crappy "Touchstone Telephony Modem TM502", which is incompatible with the netgear RP614v2.

I have been using a very bad and laggy Network Everywhere NR041 ( linksys generic brand $25 at walmart 2003.. With the Network Everywhere NR041, any download above 200kb, causes massive ping spike, any upload above 20kb causes websites to be unreachable.

I hope this new WIRED modem is better than my existing Network Everywhere NR041. I try to report back as soon as I get it setup.

brbubba 07-28-2010 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnlv (Post 31396464)
I am in real dilemma about this router. The most important feature to me is the range and speed for N transmission.

All my PCs are upstairs connected with wire. The only wireless devices are an HTPC downstairs and a laptop both with N USB adapters. I want to stream 1080P video from my PCs to HTPC without shutter. Currently I am using a TRENDnet TEW-631BRP. The speed is actually 35-50Mb/s though the utility shows the HTPC is connected with 270Mb/s.

I tried D-Link DIR-655 thinking that maybe my 100Mb/s Ethernet is the bottleneck but the speed is even worse with the new router and utility shows only 130Mb/s connection.

Now If I get this router, will I be able to stream without a shutter? that is the question.

You didn;t say how big your 1080p files are, but in general I would say reliably streaming any large 1080p video would be difficult.

tc17 07-28-2010 02:16 AM

I think people just think any router that uses that Linux type firmware is great.

Routers using the Ubicomm made firmware are the best from my experience anyways.

z00mz00m 07-28-2010 02:34 AM

Hi. Can anyone help me out?

I have tomato running on my Linksys WRT54G v2 . So in order to setup this router in repeater bridge mode, So do I just flash this ASUS with DD-WRT and set it up accordingly correct? Is there any change change in setting to my base router?

Whats the best setup I can do to increase file transfer? I have a 6mb internet connection with two devices having N setup and the rest G?
Should I have this router as a base and the Linksys as the repeater?

badfishlbc 07-28-2010 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z00mz00m (Post 31397530)
Hi. Can anyone help me out?

I have tomato running on my Linksys WRT54G v2 . So in order to setup this router in repeater bridge mode, So do I just flash this ASUS with DD-WRT and set it up accordingly correct? Is there any change change in setting to my base router?

Whats the best setup I can do to increase file transfer? I have a 6mb internet connection with two devices having N setup and the rest G?
Should I have this router as a base and the Linksys as the repeater?

I like DD-WRT better than Tomato. But I just setup a few bridges using DD-WRT. You leave your original router alone, pretty much. You just have to setup the bridge on the DD-WRT router by choosing the bridge configuration, disabling firewall, and setting up the wireless information. There's some steps in between but google it and you'll find a guide.

If you really want to maximize the throughput of the routers, you probably want to have the G devices connect up to the Linksys and the N devices take advantage of the Asus. You should have your N router as the primary router and the Linksys as the secondary. I would also flash the Linksys to DD-WRT just to keep things consistent, not that it makes a big difference. They each have a limited amount of wireless bandwith so you don't want all of them connecting to a single router. In any case, they should all be able to completely saturate the 6MB pipe you have most of the time.

z00mz00m 07-28-2010 04:04 AM

Thanks badfishlbc. Repped!

Jaysma 07-28-2010 04:40 AM

Thanks OP! My 6 year old router won't even let me move into the next room anymore. Perfect timing!

spaaarky21 07-28-2010 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBC (Post 31395326)

Actually, I looked but couldn't find a more recent build than the one in the router database. I found plenty of newer builds for the RT-N16... but not this one. Doesn't seem nearly as well supported. I couldn't recommend this router.

pnuticus 07-28-2010 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ak47gen (Post 31385724)

WDS is different than repeater bridge. Both routers have to support WDS and you must input the MAC of each on the other router. From what I understand, a repeater bridge just repeats the signal of the source router (or uses a virtual SSID as a secondary network piggybacking off the original SSID), without having to configure both routers (which I have been able to do with DD-WRT). Tomato USB might have this functionality, but I do not believe Tomato has it at this point.

papperlapapp 07-28-2010 05:08 AM

What? This is FP??

I have one of these pieces of garbage running as a repeater on dd-wrt. It's the most unreliable piece of junk. I programmed an automatic reboot but even so I frequently have to manually reboot (pull the plug) all the time. This is not under load but just to provide a G -> N bridge for some of my legacy gadgets. Just this morning I was thinking of how to get rid of it.

HotBBQ 07-28-2010 05:29 AM

Slick deal, but I'm holding out for something with gigabit LAN that is dd-wrt compatible and less than $50. Repped anyways.

dbz 07-28-2010 05:30 AM

Have you tried running tomato on it?

chong67 07-28-2010 06:19 AM

Why is that when one G start accesing it, the router will fall back to G speed?

Is there any router that doesnt do that?

UncleRunkle 07-28-2010 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chong67 (Post 31399652)

Sorry no. It's a technology limitation. You could do what I do and have one for B/G only and one for N-only. I have a Asus-WL520GU and a Asus RT-N16.

slickDe@ler 07-28-2010 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleRunkle (Post 31399778)
Sorry no. It's a technology limitation. You could do what I do and have one for B/G only and one for N-only. I have a Asus-WL520GU and a Asus RT-N16.

Arent the dual band routers supposed to do both? Or am I misinformed?

Iguana775 07-28-2010 06:45 AM

Quote:

If you already have a G router, I believe you can use them both concurrently. Set the N router to only use N and connect the G router to the N router with Cat5/6 cable.

Or something like that. I havent tried it but saw some people on here say they have.

earnold25 07-28-2010 06:57 AM

just in time. needed one for my upstairs blu ray player :)

Buckeyefan 1 07-28-2010 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickDe@ler (Post 31400054)
Arent the dual band routers supposed to do both? Or am I misinformed?

You can use this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...124332-L0C

In my experience, if you have a rock solid wireless G router with great range, you're better off keeping it. It's more about internet connection speed, and not N/G. Our HTPC streams HD content without a hitch with G at least 35' and 3 rooms away from our access point. Many routers are extremely buggy. If it ain't broke...

dcs693 07-28-2010 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chong67 (Post 31399652)

There are routers with dual radios that will do what you want. Most of these are the dual-band 2.4Ghz/5Ghz N routers. The problem is, you've got to move all the clients you want to have faster speed over to the 5Ghz spectrum - which could mean new adapters for all those devices.

One other router to consider is the Netgear WNDR3300. It's cheap if you get it refurb (I've gotten at least 5 @ $30 a pop from newegg on sale). It has two radios, one that handles 2.4Ghz B/G clients, and one that can handle 2.4 or 5Ghz B/G/N clients. It's got solid dd-wrt support, but it doesn't have the best wireless range.

The other alternative as mentioned before is to use two routers. The N will be your main router with your Internet connection. The 2nd will plug into a LAN port on the main router and act merely as an access point where the slower G clients can connect. You can also work it the other way where the G router is the main router.

BartenderCK 07-28-2010 08:01 AM

I have this router running Tomato and it rocks! Been stable and no resets for 49 days straight now! I highly recommend one for anyone I also can stream HD content to my bedroom HTPC.

Regent 07-28-2010 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleRunkle (Post 31399778)

I think this is a myth. I've never seen data to back up this claim.

I think this confusion comes from old n routers that could only do N-mode and legacy (B/G) mode. Either that or it's a line that salesmen use to try to sell more devices. All n routers I have seen are capable of mixed mode.

http://wireless.agilent.com/wirel...ucture.htm

As you can see, mixed mode does indeed add to overhead. But you still get much of the benefit from having n-type frames. AFAIK, the mixed mode overhead basically tells the g device not to try to interpret the n data which would just cause problems.

Tests I have run doing big file copies have shown that the overhead/interference does eat up a lot the performance. I think I lost a big amount, something like 40% compared to green field mode. But wireless N was already a huge amount faster than G, so mixed mode was still about twice as fast as G. This was not very scientific, though, since the G router (WRT54GL) was not the same as the N (RT-N12), though the distances were the same. Since I can't find any tests online anywhere, maybe I'll do more tests when I get the chance by switching between legacy, mimo and greenfield modes on the same router.

HD streaming to my HTPC was suffering with my tomato wrt54gl. I upgraded to the rt-n12 and put an n-adapter in the HTPC. I run in mixed mode and not once have I had trouble with my HD streaming since then. Wireless-g laptops still work fine.

At least phuzi0n agrees that this is some kind of internet myth: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/view...p?p=434468

tillo 07-28-2010 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeyefan 1 (Post 31401148)
You can use this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...124332-L0C

In my experience, if you have a rock solid wireless G router with great range, you're better off keeping it. It's more about internet connection speed, and not N/G. Our HTPC streams HD content without a hitch with G at least 35' and 3 rooms away from our access point. Many routers are extremely buggy. If it ain't broke...

There are two kind of the dual bands out there. The best one is simultaneous dual band. The one you have mentioned in your link above is selectable dual band which means it does both but not at the same time. Online reviews frequently say that as "Not True" dual band.
I think when buying routers speed is important no doubt, but so is range and stability and its always a compromise. What works for one may not work for another.

webdoggy 07-28-2010 09:22 AM

In for one. Thanks op. I've been borrowing an RT-N16 and put Tomato on it. Can't get the USB drive I am sharing to play nicely with my Xbox or my Onkyo receiver. Guess I am just as well off to get the N12 that doesn't have the USB functionality.

chong67 07-28-2010 09:25 AM

The only thing left with my G is the new wireless printer. I could connect thru ethernet, but dont like to run cables. I guess when I turn it off, everything will fall back to the N.

mkb707 07-28-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcs693 (Post 31401220)
There are routers with dual radios that will do what you want. Most of these are the dual-band 2.4Ghz/5Ghz N routers. The problem is, you've got to move all the clients you want to have faster speed over to the 5Ghz spectrum - which could mean new adapters for all those devices.

One other router to consider is the Netgear WNDR3300. It's cheap if you get it refurb (I've gotten at least 5 @ $30 a pop from newegg on sale). It has two radios, one that handles 2.4Ghz B/G clients, and one that can handle 2.4 or 5Ghz B/G/N clients. It's got solid dd-wrt support, but it doesn't have the best wireless range.

The other alternative as mentioned before is to use two routers. The N will be your main router with your Internet connection. The 2nd will plug into a LAN port on the main router and act merely as an access point where the slower G clients can connect. You can also work it the other way where the G router is the main router.

Thanks for all the info I might just use 2 routers since I have the router/modem together and the regualar N router is cheaper, for some reason I never thought about using both and I have been waiting for a dual band router. I just picked up two Netgear 802.11N USB adapters so I wanted to upgrade for sharing files over my network since it is way too slow on my G router.

dhruva 07-28-2010 09:53 AM

10% BCB making the deal even sweeter today

gbc1989 07-28-2010 10:39 AM

Ordered yday night w/o 10% cashback...but canceled right now and re-ordered!

________ 07-28-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbc1989 (Post 31407298)

ha ha me too, had to use a different account though since the first order already shipped (and can't use coupon twice). Will just refuse delivery :)

waleedalot 07-28-2010 11:08 AM

I have a printer thats Wifi ready.. Would I be able to use this router with the printer?

cisengineer 07-28-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinokuniya (Post 31396944)
Just so you know, many homes would go for wired, unless they are stuck with wireless only option.

Of course, that wasn't my point. I paid a premium for the RT-N16 to get gigabit lan ports (and 2 usb ports). I just don't think people see "wireless router" and assume that it's not also wired.

Quote:

Originally Posted by quality28 (Post 31397024)
ASUS RT-N12: Ports 1 x 10/100M WAN; 4 x 10/100M LAN

It is a wired router. I hope it works very well. My 4 year old netgear RP614v2 (best buy MIR = 40 dollars), was uncompatible with the cox "ARRIS DOCSIS 2.0 / PacketCable 1.0 Touchstone Telephony Modem " "MODEL: TM602G " VOIP modem they provided me.

I was running a Motorola SURFboard® Cable Modem SB5120, until cox changed it to a slower and crappy "Touchstone Telephony Modem TM502", which is incompatible with the netgear RP614v2.

I have been using a very bad and laggy Network Everywhere NR041 ( linksys generic brand $25 at walmart 2003.. With the Network Everywhere NR041, any download above 200kb, causes massive ping spike, any upload above 20kb causes websites to be unreachable.

I hope this new WIRED modem is better than my existing Network Everywhere NR041. I try to report back as soon as I get it setup.

This is not a modem. But we'll just be moving on...

koven 07-28-2010 11:28 AM

yay for bcb

johnnye 07-28-2010 12:04 PM

Does anyone know how long these sales (promo code and instant discount) usually run for? My budget won't allow for it until Aug 1st.

lilwiggum 07-28-2010 12:23 PM

Newegg BCB not working for anyone else? I don't see Newegg listed on Bing anymore.

ggcat 07-28-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbc1989 (Post 31407298)

how do you get the BCB? what did you search?

SilverB18C1 07-28-2010 12:54 PM

Amazon has it for $34.99 now
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/...PDKIKX0DER

ZipLipZ 07-28-2010 01:03 PM

Sold out :\

pezcore 07-28-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZipLipZ (Post 31412358)
Sold out :\

no it is not

*edit - haha right after I post this it says SOLD OUT. D'oh!

ZipLipZ 07-28-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pezcore (Post 31412490)
no it is not

Hmm, it showed sold out a min ago. I refreshed the page a few times and now shows back in stock. Yay, ordered one!

lol maybe i stole the last one? :P

Chuckly 07-28-2010 01:19 PM

Hey guys i've got a laptop with a wireless G card. Got this wireless N router because i was told that a wireless N router would have a much great range that my G router, so i'd be able to access the net on the porch. Is this correct?

gbc1989 07-28-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggcat (Post 31411696)
how do you get the BCB? what did you search?

searched 'newegg' in bing.com and the link showed up in a separate box on top of the page.

looks like the twitter promotion from newegg has run out of funds. so they prlly took it down.

Hotandfree 07-28-2010 01:25 PM

Has anyone know if I can disable the ATT 2WIRE wireless and use this as wireless router instead?

dhc014 07-28-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckly (Post 31412906)
Hey guys i've got a laptop with a wireless G card. Got this wireless N router because i was told that a wireless N router would have a much great range that my G router, so i'd be able to access the net on the porch. Is this correct?

Not necessarily. Range depends on more than just G vs. N, it depends on the transmit power and receiver sensitivity of both the router and the adapter. Go for a Buffalo "High Power" router for a better chance of improving the range of the network.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotandfree (Post 31413066)
Has anyone know if I can disable the ATT 2WIRE wireless and use this as wireless router instead?

You can configure the router as an access point and plug it into the existing router/gateway to add a wireless N network.

Parato Optimal 07-28-2010 02:27 PM

Is this a better router than the D-Link 615?
Thanks

swipper_74 07-28-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaaarky21 (Post 31388778)

I would have to agree...bought one of these the last time they were $30 from newegg. I tried it with the stock firmware and the wireless connections would drop out sporadically. I changed to DD-WRT and the connections are stable, but the speeds seem to slow (especially on the PS3). I am going to flash with Tomato and hope for the best. If not, look for it on ebay.

swipper_74 07-28-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

You can also change the 2Wire to a bridge and put your PPPoE information in the router and use it that way...

donftw 07-28-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverB18C1 (Post 31412038)

this is a better deal for california folks, esp with prime.

________ 07-28-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by swipper_74 (Post 31415882)
You can also change the 2Wire to a bridge and put your PPPoE information in the router and use it that way...

Exactly what I'm planning to do, these links may help:
Bridging the 2wire and PPPoE (Disabling Router) [dslreports.com]
How to Put a 2Wire Into Bridge Mode [ehow.com]

Of course, you should probably google your specific 2wire model to make sure (those were what I found searching for mine, a 2701HG-B)

spaaarky21 07-28-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brbubba (Post 31396366)
All versions of the PS3 are 802.11g, so you would likely be limited by that. As far as the routers go, the wrt54g TM has a 200mhz processor, the N12 has a 300mhz processor, so it would be faster. Whether this translates into improved performance for your system, who knows. Better solution is to use a wired link to the PS3.

I suppose it differs by router but I'm not so sure that's really true anymore, especially on routers with multiple receivers/transmitters. I have a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH. I have my wireless N laptop and my wireless G printer on the WLAN. The laptop connected at 130 mbps and the printer connects at 54 mbps.

dhruva 07-28-2010 06:57 PM

Can someone, who has installed DD-WRT on this router please list the actual steps to install DD-WRT (with correct links). The WiKi on DD-WRT is confusing. I hate to brick my router. Thanks in advance.

robert15 07-28-2010 07:14 PM

Sold out

dcs693 07-28-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhruva (Post 31420324)
Can someone, who has installed DD-WRT on this router please list the actual steps to install DD-WRT (with correct links). The WiKi on DD-WRT is confusing. I hate to brick my router. Thanks in advance.

I posted these a while back (May 20th) so I'm sure there are more recent builds of dd-wrt out now, but the procedure should still be valid:
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=29828940&postcount=24

brbubba 07-28-2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhruva (Post 31420324)

You can't brick these guys. If you screw it up you just try again using the tftp client.

dhruva 07-28-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcs693 (Post 31421116)
I posted these a while back (May 20th) so I'm sure there are more recent builds of dd-wrt out now, but the procedure should still be valid:
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=29828940&postcount=24

Thanks.

kunhui 07-28-2010 09:22 PM

sold out...

SDers are too powerful XD

Chuckly 07-28-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhc014 (Post 31414374)
Not necessarily. Range depends on more than just G vs. N, it depends on the transmit power and receiver sensitivity of both the router and the adapter. Go for a Buffalo "High Power" router for a better chance of improving the range of the network.

You can configure the router as an access point and plug it into the existing router/gateway to add a wireless N network.

Thanks. :)

polish 07-28-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waleedalot (Post 31408338)
I have a printer thats Wifi ready.. Would I be able to use this router with the printer?

If your printer is Wifi ready, that means you should be able to use it with any wireless router.

Matt105 07-29-2010 06:39 AM

Thought about this, but then decided I wanted gigabit connections for media streaming, so I just pulled the trigger on an RT-N16 :D Thanks for the motivation SD!

unallocated 07-29-2010 11:37 AM

This deal is sold out.

myamex 07-29-2010 11:38 AM

received it already but still no sign of BCB.

Hotandfree 07-29-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ________ (Post 31417800)
Exactly what I'm planning to do, these links may help:
Bridging the 2wire and PPPoE (Disabling Router) [dslreports.com]
How to Put a 2Wire Into Bridge Mode [ehow.com]

Of course, you should probably google your specific 2wire model to make sure (those were what I found searching for mine, a 2701HG-B)

I have the same model. Thanks for the links.

chyidean 07-29-2010 05:51 PM

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between NoUSB Standard and NoUSB VPN? This is my first router with custom firmware, so bear with me (:

brbubba 07-30-2010 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chyidean (Post 31448106)
Can someone explain to me what the difference is between NoUSB Standard and NoUSB VPN? This is my first router with custom firmware, so bear with me (:

Standard does not have an option for VPN. VPN does. You only need this if you are planning on implementing OpenVPN for secure remote access.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaaarky21 (Post 31418384)
I suppose it differs by router but I'm not so sure that's really true anymore, especially on routers with multiple receivers/transmitters. I have a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH. I have my wireless N laptop and my wireless G printer on the WLAN. The laptop connected at 130 mbps and the printer connects at 54 mbps.

Not the router throughput, the actual PS3. If he is streaming to the PS3 then the weakest link is the PS3. Trying to wirelessly stream 1080p to a 802.11g connection is going to lag on most stuff.

Zodiac180 07-30-2010 10:25 AM

I finally got this router flashed with Tomato. I initailly had a hard time flashing with DD-WRT following Cariyawa guide because his instructions are for RT-N16 which is exactly the same as RT-N12 except step 2 which linked to dd-wrt file for RT-N16 not RT-N12. What you need to do is go http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/suppor...r-database and find the correct dd-wrt firmware for the RT-N12 which currently is dd-wrt.v24-14815_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12.trx. Hope this help someone. BTW the I couldn't get the Asus Firmware Restoration utility to work.

caveman017 07-30-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac180 (Post 31465178)
I finally got this router flashed with Tomato. I initailly had a hard time flashing with DD-WRT following Cariyawa guide because his instructions are for RT-N16 which is exactly the same as RT-N12 except step 2 which linked to dd-wrt file for RT-N16 not RT-N12. What you need to do is go http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/suppor...r-database and find the correct dd-wrt firmware for the RT-N12 which currently is dd-wrt.v24-14815_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12.trx. Hope this help someone. BTW the I couldn't get the Asus Firmware Restoration utility to work.

you have to manually assign your IP address when using the utility to 192.168.1.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

Zodiac180 07-30-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman017 (Post 31465234)
you have to manually assign your IP address when using the utility to 192.168.1.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

Really, I assigned 192.168.1.3 :shake:. Haha

caveman017 07-30-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac180 (Post 31466456)

Whatever. I just read the guide and it said .2

Not like it makes a difference.

overvu 07-30-2010 12:15 PM

Back in stock. Good luck everyone!

Zodiac180 07-30-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveman017 (Post 31466562)
Whatever. I just read the guide and it said .2

Not like it makes a difference.

I didn't read the guide and assigned 192.168.1.3. I guess that was why the Asus utility didn't work for me but the webbase did.

z00mz00m 07-30-2010 12:23 PM

Got it and set it up as a repeater bridge. Works great! No stability problem so far

Parato Optimal 07-30-2010 01:40 PM

Why is this router so loved over say a DLink 615 or Trendnet TEW-632BRP?

How many bars are people getting for wireless?

irex 07-30-2010 02:11 PM

In 4 1.

Is this router faster and more stable in keeping continuous connections than the Netgear WDNR3300?

irex 07-30-2010 02:13 PM

How is this RT-N12 compared with RT-N13U?

Which one is better?

YoManWhat 07-30-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irex (Post 31470868)

Which one is better?

c'mon man, do a little research... at least read a thread on each one and you'll be a little more edumacated ;)

brbubba 07-30-2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irex (Post 31470868)

Which one is better?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_routers

ttpm 07-30-2010 09:03 PM

ot it and set it up as a repeater bridge. Works great! No stability problem so far

ttpm 07-30-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkinuts (Post 31373288)
The reviews on Newegg don't look so good. Among the 60+ reviews, 25% of them are for 1-star ratings. :shake:

On another note, would I be able to wirelessly bridge this with my WL-520GU router via Tomato? Even though that is a G router? They both run on 2.4ghz frequency range, no?

got it and set it up as a repeater bridge. Works great! No stability problem so far

dealslasher 07-30-2010 09:32 PM

Deal is alive again

intekmdma 07-30-2010 11:26 PM

anyone able to get this to 300mbps with the dd-wrt firmware?

samgod2001 07-31-2010 04:31 PM

Router is working great for me so far. Loaded it with tomato with no problem following the tomato usb wiki [tomatousb.org]. I did make sure my ip address was set to 192.168.1.2 before installing

Doremon 07-31-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brbubba (Post 31422226)
You can't brick these guys. If you screw it up you just try again using the tftp client.

care to elaborate? Man is bricked....I wanted to change from DD-WRT to Tomato since the bridging is easier with two tomato routers. All the blue lights on my RT n12 are solid blue with no blinking except for the power and wan light. All 4 lan port lights are solid. I tried the 30-30-30 reset and firmware restoration and no result. Router can't be detected by windows and shows no IP. Anyway of fixing this?

cisengineer 07-31-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doremon (Post 31490088)
care to elaborate? Man is bricked....I wanted to change from DD-WRT to Tomato since the bridging is easier with two tomato routers. All the blue lights on my RT n12 are solid blue with no blinking except for the power and wan light. All 4 lan port lights are solid. I tried the 30-30-30 reset and firmware restoration and no result. Router can't be detected by windows and shows no IP. Anyway of fixing this?

• Unplug the router.
  • Unplug all Ethernet cables except one in one of the LAN ports--not the WAN port which is plugged into a computer.
  • On your computer give your Ethernet NIC a static IP of 192.168.1.2.
  • While holding the recessed reset button (not the one that sticks out next to it) plug in the router. After 1-2 seconds, let go of the reset button.
  • Now the power led of the router should be flashing very slowly like a 5 second frequency on and off.
  • On your computer go to http://192.168.1.1
  • You should see the built-in restore interface.
  • Clear the NVRam (I think it says restore NVRam or something).
  • Upload a known working firmware

Doremon 07-31-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cisengineer (Post 31490872)
  • Unplug the router.
  • Unplug all Ethernet cables except one in one of the LAN ports--not the WAN port which is plugged into a computer.
  • On your computer give your Ethernet NIC a static IP of 192.168.1.2.
  • While holding the recessed reset button (not the one that sticks out next to it) plug in the router. After 1-2 seconds, let go of the reset button.
  • Now the power led of the router should be flashing very slowly like a 5 second frequency on and off.
  • On your computer go to http://192.168.1.1
  • You should see the built-in restore interface.
  • Clear the NVRam (I think it says restore NVRam or something).
  • Upload a known working firmware

thanks for the reply mate but I tried that method and no luck. Even after holding down the reset and plugging back in the power all 4 wan ports and 1 lan port stay solid blue while the power and 2.4 ghz don't show anything. Thats what I get for trying to upgrade something thats working. LOL. Ill take any other suggestions though.

on another note I was reading the wiki doesn't tomato have AP + WDS function that is pretty much the same thing as a repeater wireless bridge. correct me if I am wrong.

KorbenDallas 07-31-2010 11:44 PM

Well, I've had this router for a couple of days and I have to say I would stay well away. Wireless just will not stay up. My config is as follows:

3x Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato, 1 is the internet gateway/DHCP server and 2 are wireless bridges
1x Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT mini acting as another wireless bridge
1x Asus RT-N12 running DD-WRT first, now Tomato

Nothing corrects the wireless issue on the Asus other than a 30 second reset. Wireless will be up between 15 and 30 minutes before it no longer responds to connections. I've tried fluctuating the transmit power, AP isolation, channel numbers, channel width, security, basically everything and nothing seems to resolve the issue.

Maybe you'll be lucky, but I apparently was not.

abstraqt 07-31-2010 11:49 PM

I just purchased this for my home
I'm using it as a basic router for a laptop, is it still recommended to install tomato as the firmware?

brbubba 08-01-2010 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KorbenDallas (Post 31494924)
Well, I've had this router for a couple of days and I have to say I would stay well away. Wireless just will not stay up. My config is as follows:

3x Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato, 1 is the internet gateway/DHCP server and 2 are wireless bridges

Nothing corrects the wireless issue on the Asus other than a 30 second reset. Wireless will be up between 15 and 30 minutes before it no longer responds to connections. I've tried fluctuating the transmit power, AP isolation, channel numbers, channel width, security, basically everything and nothing seems to resolve the issue.

There was specific discussion about certain builds of DDWRT not staying up. Let us know how tomato works out.

KorbenDallas 08-01-2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brbubba (Post 31495122)
There was specific discussion about certain builds of DDWRT not staying up. Let us know how tomato works out.

Unfortunately the problems continue with Tomato. I do not know if the Tomato build contains any of the code from any specific build of DD-WRT that could cause the problems or not.

Doremon 08-01-2010 12:38 AM

Prior to bricking my router I had a rt16 running tomato and the rt 12 as a repeater bridge. It was stable except that once I set up the bridge mode any changes to the rt12 I had to redo the whole bridging process. That's why I wanted both routers on tomato. Try having ur primary running tomato and then ur secondaries on ddwrt. Ur main will be 192.168.1.1 and then each subsequent will be 192.168.1.# see if that
works.

CousinIT 08-01-2010 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KorbenDallas (Post 31494924)

that is odd, my N12 has been very stable with Teddy's tomato beta 18. Using it as access point.

wpa2 aes 40MHz channel width with CTS protection mode in auto.

network mode in auto as I have N and G adapters. All is well here....

vfrjim 08-01-2010 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac180 (Post 31466456)

Mine is set to 192.168.1.99 :D

vfrjim 08-01-2010 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brbubba (Post 31495122)

I swapped one of my routers last sunday with the RT-N12 and DD-WRT(
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/23/10) mini - build 14311) and wireless has been up since, never down.

I have another and tried Tomato, it lasted a day and went down. I like how easy it was to set up Tomato as a Repeater-Bridge, but not if it does not stay up

brbubba 08-01-2010 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KorbenDallas (Post 31495236)
Unfortunately the problems continue with Tomato. I do not know if the Tomato build contains any of the code from any specific build of DD-WRT that could cause the problems or not.

That makes me think it's a communications/configuration issue. Have you thought about trying the N12 as the gateway? The N12 does have the faster processor.

My gut feeling on this is that something quirky is going on that is causing the dropped connections. Unfortunately it may take a bit of troubleshooting that you might not want to deal with, i.e., in the end it might be easier for you to just get another WRT54GL.

KorbenDallas 08-01-2010 09:50 AM

At this point the wireless appears to have completely given up and it no longer comes up under any circumstances. The lights on the front and the software installed seem to believe that everything is working properly but the SSID does not appear to clients and none are able to connect at all. I've reverted to the stock firmware to no avail. I'm guessing I just lucked up and got a bad one.

The wired portion seems to work flawlessly, too bad I don't need another 10/100.

supershick 08-01-2010 03:17 PM

Promo code doesn't work anymore? Dead?

Says it only applies to special promotions. Hmm.

silvia240 08-01-2010 08:52 PM

I have a D-Link DIR-601 (which i just bought a couple months ago), and it seems to need a cold reboot (unplug the power) about once every 2 weeks. Would it be better for me to purchase 2 of these? I would like to bridge the 2 wireless routers.

Thanks for your help.

supershick 08-05-2010 10:43 AM

Got the router yesterday, flashed it with Tomato...question for you gurus:

1) I temporarily used a super basic belkin N-router and when i ran speedtest.net, I was getting speeds of close to 21Mbps. Now, with the Asus router, I'm getting around 10-12Mbps. Anybody know why the bandwidth got cut by near 50%?

Thanks guys!

Great router by the way, easy to flash....just make sure you don't download the wrong version, very important!

Doremon 08-05-2010 11:36 AM

bandwith on the secondary router will always be cut in half when you run repeater bridges.

supershick 08-05-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doremon (Post 31603310)
bandwith on the secondary router will always be cut in half when you run repeater bridges.

Doremon,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not using the Asus as my repeater bridge. I'm using it as my main router. I was just using the Belkin as an example of the kind of speeds I was getting through wireless.

After I received the RT-N12, I disconnected the Belkin and put it aside. The Asus is all I use now and I'm getting speeds that are cut in half. I don't even have any QoS setup yet. So weird.

Doremon 08-05-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supershick (Post 31603692)
Doremon,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not using the Asus as my repeater bridge. I'm using it as my main router. I was just using the Belkin as an example of the kind of speeds I was getting through wireless.

After I received the RT-N12, I disconnected the Belkin and put it aside. The Asus is all I use now and I'm getting speeds that are cut in half. I don't even have any QoS setup yet. So weird.

Try downloading something using the RT-N12 and then compare it with the Belkin downloading the exact same file. If you are getting the same speeds then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

akyigyi 08-08-2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doremon (Post 31494212)
thanks for the reply mate but I tried that method and no luck. Even after holding down the reset and plugging back in the power all 4 wan ports and 1 lan port stay solid blue while the power and 2.4 ghz don't show anything. Thats what I get for trying to upgrade something thats working. LOL. Ill take any other suggestions though.

on another note I was reading the wiki doesn't tomato have AP + WDS function that is pretty much the same thing as a repeater wireless bridge. correct me if I am wrong.

Hi,

Are you still having solid blue light on problem? It happened to my router this morning.

I have tomato NO USB + VPN installed 3 days ago. This morning, wireless was not working. So I rebooted the router and it is dead now. Any idea?

I was running as primary router.

Doremon 08-08-2010 11:27 AM

I ended up doing an RMA.....tried everything and nothing worked. Good luck to you.

dougw03 08-08-2010 04:50 PM

I'm having wireless dropout issues, about once an hour using tomato. Anyone have any suggestions or a stable firmware? I may have to get rid of this router if it isn't stable enough. I've read in other SD threads that no matter DD-Wrt tomato or stock this is a common problem. I am using it as the primary router in my network.

brbubba 08-08-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougw03 (Post 31669350)
I'm having wireless dropout issues, about once an hour using tomato. Anyone have any suggestions or a stable firmware? I may have to get rid of this router if it isn't stable enough. I've read in other SD threads that no matter DD-Wrt tomato or stock this is a common problem. I am using it as the primary router in my network.

You using 1.28? I would also try teddy bear mod. If both are still problematic then try DDWRT, if that still doesn't work RMA it.

Doremon 08-08-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

did you install the latest tomato firmware using this link? http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums...hp?t=63587 from experience and everyone else's tomato should be rock steady. Only other problem is a faulty power unit?

Yakima227 08-10-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

I'm having the same problems. I tried the stock ASUS firmware for a few days and noticed the dropouts. Flashed tomato last night, but the dropouts persisted. Looks like its going back.

supershick 08-10-2010 08:12 PM

this router is giving me too many problems...low signal "quality" (around 35 constantly) even when I'm next to it. I have the transmit power turned up (around 80mW) and the noise floor is not that shabby. Not sure why this router is so crap.

Would it be better to be on the 40MHz or 20Mhz band guys?

YoManWhat 08-12-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakima227 (Post 31709482)
I'm having the same problems. I tried the stock ASUS firmware for a few days and noticed the dropouts. Flashed tomato last night, but the dropouts persisted. Looks like its going back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supershick (Post 31722304)
this router is giving me too many problems...low signal "quality" (around 35 constantly) even when I'm next to it. I have the transmit power turned up (around 80mW) and the noise floor is not that shabby. Not sure why this router is so crap.

Would it be better to be on the 40MHz or 20Mhz band guys?

are you using 1.28 like brbubba suggested? or the Tomato ND USB Mod with kernel 2.6 as Doremon linked to above?