Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Gamer's Lounge (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Popular Science: PS3 MOVE - Best of What's New 2010 Winner (http://slickdeals.net/e/2410285-popular-science-ps3-move-best-of-what-s-new-2010-winner)

Iceboie 11-23-2010 03:59 AM

Popular Science: PS3 MOVE - Best of What's New 2010 Winner

Quote:

The editors of Popular Science selected Move as the only video game technology worthy of the honor this year, calling it the “most immersive gaming controller” on the market and “the first motion-capture game system accurate enough to attract the hardcore gamers who consider the Wii and Microsoft Kinect to be kids’ stuff”.

source [n4g.com]
I cannot comment this because I do not own a PS3 MOVE, XB3 KINECT, or a Wii but what's your thoughts? On paper, looks like XB KINECT is more innovative than the MOVE but maybe I'm missing something.

Curtieson 11-23-2010 05:36 AM

When you hear Popular Science and award for "What's New" the MOVE is the FARTHEST thing from my mind...not only is it a complete rehash of the Wii...it is a rehash of their PSEye they have used for years!

They make a valid point that right now it is the only one suitable for hardcore gamers...but how does that make it innovative or new?

wizard7926 11-23-2010 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtieson (Post 34574969)
When you hear Popular Science and award for "What's New" the MOVE is the FARTHEST thing from my mind...not only is it a complete rehash of the Wii...it is a rehash of their PSEye they have used for years!

They make a valid point that right now it is the only one suitable for hardcore gamers...but how does that make it innovative or new?

It's innovative in that it uses the camera to track motion rather than an infrared signal, so it has a better precision in motion capture which was sorely lacking from the Wii. Just because it used existing camera peripherals doesn't mean it's not innovative.

Parafly 11-23-2010 06:18 AM

The move is cool but again it is still just an improved Wiimote. Kinect is definitely more innovative and I'm a huge PS3 supporter > 360.

Im really on the fence about the move. I can't take any more peripherals in the house, but then again i was thinking with the move maybe I will my Wii?

tresanus 11-23-2010 06:21 AM

I'm just waiting for some sweet shooting games to come out..

wizard7926 11-23-2010 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tresanus (Post 34575676)
I'm just waiting for some sweet shooting games to come out..

I really haven't been following Move all that much, and it seems prohibitively expensive for how much I would end up using it. I don't have time for my regular console games; how could I squeeze more not-time in for the Move? :lol:

tresanus 11-23-2010 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard7926 (Post 34575746)
I really haven't been following Move all that much, and it seems prohibitively expensive for how much I would end up using it. I don't have time for my regular console games; how could I squeeze more not-time in for the Move? :lol:

Come on man you know its a disease, it aint easy to reverse years of back log creation

Would you tell a bald kid in an oversized baseball cap to stop being all cancered up?

lito9 11-23-2010 06:54 AM

I got the move and wii. The move is def more accurate and quite precise. What's lacking are the games, but The Shoot game is actually pretty good and reminds me of the shooting arcades.

ssjmichael 11-23-2010 08:04 AM

I have the magazine, and thought it was kind of silly to have the move there and not kinect. this was all published before the Kinect even came out though so I'm betting they're feeling a bit differently now.

The Move was one of many winners btw. They only had a small little section of the best of what's new section.

highfloydelity 11-23-2010 09:57 AM

Why are we talking about innovation? It looks like a list of "Best New Thing" not "Most Innovative Thing". Although I can't read the article so...

Phrozt 11-23-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssjmichael (Post 34576664)
I have the magazine, and thought it was kind of silly to have the move there and not kinect. this was all published before the Kinect even came out though so I'm betting they're feeling a bit differently now.

The Move was one of many winners btw. They only had a small little section of the best of what's new section.

That's what I've always had a problem with. Awards that are given out:
A) Before the year that the award is for is even over
B) After a brand new wave of [things] were just released an popularized (which is why games at the beginning of a year don't get awards as much as games that are released at the end of a year do).

How can they even comment on the kinect when it wasn't even out, and the majority of people realize that it's far from its final stages of use....?

tresanus 11-23-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phrozt (Post 34577595)
That's what I've always had a problem with. Awards that are given out:
A) Before the year that the award is for is even over
B) After a brand new wave of [things] were just released an popularized (which is why games at the beginning of a year don't get awards as much as games that are released at the end of a year do).

How can they even comment on the kinect when it wasn't even out, and the majority of people realize that it's far from its final stages of use....?

Oh yeah!? I heard the Xbox 720 won the nobel peace prize

H00t 11-23-2010 11:29 AM

It's no mystery why they chose Move instead of Wii or Kinect.

It's no mystery, because they give their reasoning outright in the little article. :lol: I mean, come on.

http://www.popsci.com/bown/2010/p...ation-move
Quote:

Home Entertainment
Sony PlayStation Move
Most immersive game controller

Sony’s Move is the first motion-capture game system accurate enough to attract the hardcore gamers who consider the Wii and Microsoft Kinect to be kids’ stuff. A camera near the TV tracks a glowing sphere on top of a wand to follow a player’s horizontal and vertical movement, as well as the distance from the screen, while accelerometers and gyroscopes sense rotation. All this translates into the ability to take out zombies in Resident Evil with dead-on accuracy.
So go ahead and ask yourselves, which motion capture system is the most accurate? How many of them track all of these at the same time: horizontal, vertical, distance from screen and rotation?

Here's a second opinion. http://kotaku.com/5684384/nintend...mon-ground

darkcloudinc 11-23-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tresanus (Post 34578155)
Oh yeah!? I heard the Xbox 720 won the nobel peace prize

Oh yeah?! I heard the PS4 cured cancer and feeds homeless cats!

Curtieson 11-23-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkcloudinc (Post 34579330)
Oh yeah?! I heard the PS4 cured cancer and feeds homeless cats!

Yea? Well, Chuck Norris already bought an Xbox 1080 and loves it.

darkcloudinc 11-23-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtieson (Post 34579607)

Yeah?! Well, Chuck Norris had just made the PS5 and given it to his third fist for his birthday!

wizard7926 11-23-2010 12:52 PM

Chuck Norris can still play online with a modded, banned, and RRoD'd 360.

Curtieson 11-23-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard7926 (Post 34581100)
Chuck Norris can still play online with a modded, banned, and RRoD'd 360.

Chuck Norris's 360 never RRoD'd again at the fear of being "fixed" with a round house kick

darkcloudinc 11-23-2010 01:21 PM

Chuck Norris can get a RRoD'd 360 and give it the YLoD.

Curtieson 11-23-2010 02:20 PM

Chuck Norris has a version 3.50 PS3 SLIM with Linux AND it is backwards compatible.

[did I get that right? that combination is impossible, right?]

lettherebeme 11-23-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtieson (Post 34584049)
Chuck Norris has a version 3.50 PS3 SLIM with Linux AND it is backwards compatible.

[did I get that right? that combination is impossible, right?]

even without the backwards compatible.

alexpkeaton529 11-23-2010 06:11 PM

Chuck norris can play halo reach on his PS3.

Back to the topic. I'll agree that this article was probably in the works for some time and they will probably have something in the next issue regarding the Kinect and how it isnt just for the kiddies or something regarding the various hacked uses for the technology that have popped up over the past week.

I loved popular science and am contemplating getting a new subscription. It is only $18 for two years for me. :D

Swolern 11-23-2010 10:57 PM

I have both move and kinect and i agree the move out performs the kinect. My favorite game is Fight Lights Out in 3D. It is so damn responsive, tracks as fast as i can punch along with depth,angle,&speed. Great precision. On the other hand i rented Uncaged Fighters for kinect and the responsiveness and lag was horrible, it would only read about half of the moves i was doing. It made me want to throw it out the window after half an hour. The kinect has potential but they need to improve on responsiveness and lag.

staypuft13 11-24-2010 05:17 AM

Looks like the Kinect is showing its potential and ingenuity not for Xbox 360 gaming (yet), but after it has been hacked.

fbskiracer 11-24-2010 06:04 AM

I don't think any of the hardware really matters in the case of the products. Whoever has the best software packages backing them up will win hands down.

Curtieson 11-24-2010 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbskiracer (Post 34599647)
I don't think any of the hardware really matters in the case of the products. Whoever has the best software packages backing them up will win hands down.

:iagree:

I think that is the biggest catch with those fighter games, I heard absolutely EVERYTHING sucked about the kinect one (graphics, sound, gameplay, concept)

I did finally get to play a kinect in best buy, and the precision is going to kill this unless they start making software to show off what it does best. The only game I got to play was bowling though (lame...) so I need to give it anyother try.

ssjmichael 11-24-2010 06:43 AM

Even if the Move had better games, Kinect will still "win".. It's different enough from anything else, so people are willing to accept any minor flaws to try something new, especially something as hyped and marketed as this.

Phrozt 11-24-2010 08:01 AM

Chuck Norris is for pre-teen emo faggy faces.

Roland Deschain 11-24-2010 08:02 AM

I just want to know how they substantiate THIS statement:

Quote:

the first motion-capture game system accurate enough to attract the hardcore gamers who consider the Wii and Microsoft Kinect to be kids’ stuff”.
is it even true? Hardcore gamers are attracted to the Move? I find that hard to believe.

i would find it hard to believe if they said the same about the Kinect as well btw.

Curtieson 11-24-2010 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland Deschain (Post 34602739)

"Because I said so, that's why"

ssjmichael 11-24-2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland Deschain (Post 34602739)

The Move has been marketed as much for hardcore gamers as casuals compared to the Wii and Kinect. Just look at the initial linups between the two..Move has RE5, MAG, Heavy Rain, SOCOM 4, Killzone 3, etc.. Kinect has a few dancing games, a few sports games, a sonic racing game, fitness games etc...

Roland Deschain 11-24-2010 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssjmichael (Post 34602864)
The Move has been marketed as much for hardcore gamers as casuals compared to the Wii and Kinect. Just look at the initial linups between the two..Move has RE5, MAG, Heavy Rain, SOCOM 4, Killzone 3, etc.. Kinect has a few dancing games, a few sports games, a sonic racing game, fitness games etc...

while what you've stated is accurate and could explain why hardcore gamers would be attracted, I still want to know how they substantiate that statement.

EDIT:

Ultimately, I don't give a shit though. haha

ssjmichael 11-24-2010 08:18 AM

It's popular science, they don't substantiate anything :lol:

shadesofwhite 11-25-2010 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtieson (Post 34579607)

Chuck Norris doesn't buy. He acquires.