Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Drugstore/Grocery B&M Deals + Discussion (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   CVS Fillers List (http://slickdeals.net/e/2728289-cvs-fillers-list)

Armadillo 03-06-2011 05:12 AM

CVS Fillers List

Often I find myself needing one more item to eat up my overage - something actually useful and nice to have, NOT a candy bar. So I thought, what if we tried to compile a list of items $1 or less (after coupons, if any). I was thinking it should have three basic categories:

1. Regular price items, that can always be used as fillers.
2. Items from the week's flyer.
3. Current clearanced items.

Would this be useful to anybody? (Now let's see if I can figure out how to make a Wiki.)

wikipost 03-06-2011 05:12 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

CVS FILLERS WIKI
Thread Rules:
  • Feel free to add, change or remove information shown here as it becomes available.
  • Filler items should be $1 or less - the cheaper the better.
  • Include .99 or $1 items only if they're a great value - let's not clutter things up with all the candy bar singles and trial size toiletries.
  • Arrange items under each category by price, from lowest to highest.
I. ITEMS THAT ARE GOOD FILLERS AT THEIR REGULAR PRICE
Single photos - developed in one hour .25 or in seconds .32
L. Frances caramels (by the checkout) .33
Frito Lay single serve chips (tiny bags) 3/$1
Ritz cheese or peanut-butter sandwich crackers, snack size .40
CVS Q-tips, trial size 2/.99
Frito Lay snack size bags of sunflower seeds, peanuts .50
CVS cough drops, trial size .50
CVS Pocket Tissues .50
GE tomato sauce .57
Friskies 5.5 oz. .57
Fancy Feast 3 oz. .67
GE Pretzel Mini Twists .79
GE tomato paste .87
Selected Hallmark cards .99

II. ITEMS THAT ARE GOOD FILLERS AT THE SALE PRICES OF THE WEEK
Week of 7/17 to 7/23:
Paper Mate WriteBros. pens 10 pk. .50
VO5 shampoo or conditioner .82
Bumble Bee chunk white tuna .88
Pepsi 2 L selected varieties .88
Gain dish liquid 10.3 -11 oz. .99
Gatorade, Sobe, or Lifewater .99
Select grocery and snack items including: GE JtB cereal, Vlasic pickles, Chex mix,Quaker chewy bars $1
Green Giant vegetables or Lindsay olives (part of gas deal) $1.25

III. CURRENT CLEARANCED ITEMS
These items will vary from store to store, but might be worth checking. Please include the date found when posting clearance items.

CVS hand sanitizing wipes, trial size (found 4/19/11) .24
Zone bars, some flavors (found 3/6/11) .34
GE chips in canister - i.e., Pringles knock-offs (4/22/11) .34
GE fudge brownie cookie dough bites; cookies and cream bites (4/22/11) 2/.75
Old El Paso chopped green chilis (found 4/9/11) .44
Zone single bar or multi-pack .55 (4/30/11) SS 2/27/2011[/COLOR]
GE sourdough pretzels 14 oz. box (4/22/11) .49
GE Almond Cashew Lasting Energy Bar (found 3/5/11) .49
GE Cranberry Cruch Lasting Energy Bar (found 3/6/11) .49
Dinty Moore beef stew cup (found 4/19/11) .54
Bush's baked beans (found 4/19/11) .54
GE canned tomatoes, various (found 3/29/11) .68
Ruffin' It Tennis Bone dog toys (found 3/16/2011) .82
Knorr Chicken Bouillon Cubes (found 3/6/11) .89

justjeff 03-06-2011 07:52 AM

Don't forget the L. Frances caramels by the checkout for .33 each.
Thanks for putting this together. :nod:

Armadillo 03-06-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjeff (Post 37818637)
Don't forget the L. Frances caramels by the checkout for .33 each.
Thanks for putting this together. :nod:

Done - thanks. (I hadn't put them in because I have never actually managed to find them. Maybe stores in my area don't have them or something?)

bren4bears 03-06-2011 11:27 AM

This weeks $1 Kellogg's crt goes great with the $1 cereal cups.

jill1616 03-06-2011 11:34 AM

In trial section, the cvs brand q-tips are 2/.99, also in section by children's bath products, cvs q-tips a larger pack that is .99. I like these better than the name brand. Also those pocket cvs kleenex--there are 3packs and 8 packs depending on your overage needs. Slightly cheaper as size goes up. My Mom uses tons of these packs so I'm always looking to use them as fillers.

fitnessfan 03-06-2011 11:59 AM

There are a bunch of nutrition bars on clearance right now. Some Zone bars are 34c and there are $.55/1 MQ's from last Sunday's SS insert. EAS bars are 62c and there are $1/1 MQ's in the same insert. Cashier can either adjust the Q's down or you can buy extra bars, for example, buy 10 EAS bars for $6.20, use 6 $1/1 Q's and pay just 20 cents.

love2beeamom 03-06-2011 12:07 PM

I saw last night that the big bags of CVS cheetos were on sale for the week for .62, they are normally 2.49 each.. With a 3 year old and 3 teenagers, we go through cheetos..

I also use the small trial size bags of cvs cough drops for .50.. I add those alot cause DH uses alot of them

Armadillo 03-07-2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by love2beeamom (Post 37822771)
I saw last night that the big bags of CVS cheetos were on sale for the week for .62, they are normally 2.49 each.. With a 3 year old and 3 teenagers, we go through cheetos..

I also use the small trial size bags of cvs cough drops for .50.. I add those alot cause DH uses alot of them

Quote:

Originally Posted by jill1616 (Post 37822233)
In trial section, the cvs brand q-tips are 2/.99, also in section by children's bath products, cvs q-tips a larger pack that is .99. I like these better than the name brand. Also those pocket cvs kleenex--there are 3packs and 8 packs depending on your overage needs. Slightly cheaper as size goes up. My Mom uses tons of these packs so I'm always looking to use them as fillers.

Thanks to everybody - this is already helping me a lot. I've added your finds to the wiki - I hope I got things right. Feel free to edit the wiki yourselves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bren4bears (Post 37822103)
This weeks $1 Kellogg's crt goes great with the $1 cereal cups.

I only left this out, because though freebies are nice, I figured they don't help with overage. But if people want a freebie section, that's okay with me too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitnessfan (Post 37822627)
There are a bunch of nutrition bars on clearance right now. Some Zone bars are 34c and there are $.55/1 MQ's from last Sunday's SS insert. EAS bars are 62c and there are $1/1 MQ's in the same insert. Cashier can either adjust the Q's down or you can buy extra bars, for example, buy 10 EAS bars for $6.20, use 6 $1/1 Q's and pay just 20 cents.

Thanks - I added the bars, and the Zone MQ, but I couldn't find the information on the EAS MQ myself. Can you add it to the wiki?

Armadillo 03-15-2011 09:20 AM

So, does nobody else find this list useful? Personally, I love knowing which truly useful items I can throw into my orders each week.

Like this week's canned veggies, baking soda, and clams. They're all great deals - better than grocery store price; they're things I use anyway; and this way they let me round out orders or eat overage.

rydergal 03-15-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armadillo (Post 38047697)
So, does nobody else find this list useful? Personally, I love knowing which truly useful items I can throw into my orders each week.

Like this week's canned veggies, baking soda, and clams. They're all great deals - better than grocery store price; they're things I use anyway; and this way they let me round out orders or eat overage.

I do think it is handy.

I also think though that it will take a while for folks to get used to it, and for it to become a "fixture" for everyday usage. I wouldn't take folks' lack of overjoyed enthusiasm as a bad sign...it just needs to grow on folks for a while. But part of getting folks to use it is going to be based on how much it is updated...by you mostly, I would imagine, as you are the OP. That's a lot of work, I know!

Every time I start a weekly thread, I try to include a list of cheap fillers in the wiki, pulled from the weekly ad. Not everyone does though. And my list doesn't include clearance finds or the regular priced stuff that you have in the wiki here, so your list is definitely more comprehensive in that regard.

Anyways, those are just my thoughts on it. Thanks so much for taking the initiative to start this thread, and I do think it will be useful if folks keep posting their finds!

Armadillo 03-15-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rydergal (Post 38048917)
I do think it is handy.

I also think though that it will take a while for folks to get used to it, and for it to become a "fixture" for everyday usage. I wouldn't take folks' lack of overjoyed enthusiasm as a bad sign...it just needs to grow on folks for a while. But part of getting folks to use it is going to be based on how much it is updated...by you mostly, I would imagine, as you are the OP. That's a lot of work, I know!

Every time I start a weekly thread, I try to include a list of cheap fillers in the wiki, pulled from the weekly ad. Not everyone does though. And my list doesn't include clearance finds or the regular priced stuff that you have in the wiki here, so your list is definitely more comprehensive in that regard.

Anyways, those are just my thoughts on it. Thanks so much for taking the initiative to start this thread, and I do think it will be useful if folks keep posting their finds!

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions! :) I noticed next week's main thread does include filler-type items, which is great, but you're right they don't always. Also, I find that sometimes more are posted in-store than show up in the flyer. People's suggestions here have already helped me. (I really loved the clearance Zone bars for .13 - less than the Green Bag Tag earnings.)

Armadillo 03-17-2011 08:32 AM

I just have to say, I'm loving this week's cheap grocery fillers. I finally accumulated my 3 Dove singles CRTs, and it was nice to have such good fillers for my .50 overage. I got 3 Dove dark bars and a roll of paper towel on my husband's card for .12 (sales tax only), 3 bars and a can of water chestnuts on my card for .38. (I wanted diced tomatoes, but they were OOS.) And of course, I was earning .25 Green Bag Tag earnings on each purchase, too.

klimber 03-18-2011 11:47 AM

In the past, I have heard posters mention keeping a SD card in their coupon wallet or a flash drive on the same ring as the CVS card/GBT card ring. Then when they need a filler they get a couple of photos from the Kodak kiosk. I don't know what the current in-store price is for the instant photos but this should be in the list.

Armadillo 03-26-2011 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klimber (Post 38139645)
In the past, I have heard posters mention keeping a SD card in their coupon wallet or a flash drive on the same ring as the CVS card/GBT card ring. Then when they need a filler they get a couple of photos from the Kodak kiosk. I don't know what the current in-store price is for the instant photos but this should be in the list.

Yes, thanks for this suggestion. I've put down the prices I saw advertised in a local store, but I've never tried this, so I don't know the details. Can somebody who does explain it in a quick post that I could link to the wiki?

I've added next week's fillers; there are quite a few useful and cheap grocery items again.

slydog13jesse 03-27-2011 11:56 AM

I think this list is very useful...adding, I saw fudge today for 99 cents (I think it went to some charity) up where the caramels are. It looked very good, but I didn't need a filler at the time. Not sure if it's regional so I won't put it in the wiki, but heads up. :)

Armadillo 03-29-2011 08:21 AM

Today I saw Gold Medal flour on clearance - adding it to the wiki.

Armadillo 04-19-2011 11:35 AM

I just added a bunch of new clearanced filler items. Also, anybody who has the $1 off 2 Just the Basics CRT this week can use it to get two of their $1 items (e.g., single roll paper towel, small jars of nuts, rice) for $1.

Armadillo 04-21-2011 11:05 AM

Gold Medal flour 2 lb bag is now down to .49. I've been buying it for free with four Snickers eggs, 2 MQs, and 2 CRTs. It's also nice that it lets me build up some Green Bag Tag points.

fitnessfan 04-22-2011 03:53 PM

All the CVS' round these parts have their GE potato chips in a canister (Pringles knock-offs) clearanced to 34 cents. Flavors are original, cheddar cheese, and barbeque. My 4 yo DD thinks they are :yummy:!

Also, the big 14 oz. box of GE sourdough prezels clearanced to 49 cents. Sad they will not carry these anymore. :sadwalk:

For a regular price item, I often browse the greeting card aisle. Most stores have the 99-cent Hallmark cards, and it's always good to have a supply of thank you, sympathy, get well, and thinking of you cards on hand. Never know when you'll need one in a hurry.

Armadillo 04-24-2011 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitnessfan (Post 39069615)
All the CVS' round these parts have their GE potato chips in a canister (Pringles knock-offs) clearanced to 34 cents. Flavors are original, cheddar cheese, and barbeque. My 4 yo DD thinks they are :yummy:!

Also, the big 14 oz. box of GE sourdough prezels clearanced to 49 cents. Sad they will not carry these anymore. :sadwalk:

For a regular price item, I often browse the greeting card aisle. Most stores have the 99-cent Hallmark cards, and it's always good to have a supply of thank you, sympathy, get well, and thinking of you cards on hand. Never know when you'll need one in a hurry.

Thanks - I've put your finds in the wiki. That is the sad thing about clearance - that it usually means something is being discontinued. But there will always be some new deal, right?

Armadillo 05-01-2011 07:10 AM

I've added this week's specials - lots of very cheap fillers, so I look forward to getting my deals down to pennies this week!

Armadillo 05-21-2011 06:32 AM

I've added the new week and updated some clearance.

fitnessfan 05-21-2011 01:20 PM

There's lots of clearance make-up posted in the CVS clearance thread. With MQ's, they make nice fillers (usually less than $1). Plus, the full clearance price (prior to MQ) will count towards your next Beauty Reward! :bounce:

On Monday, I found GE butter cream hard candy 7 oz. bag on 75% clearance, 38 cents each or 2/75 cents. They're the Wether's knock-offs. Not nearly as good as Werther's but a decent filler.

bren4bears 05-22-2011 09:50 AM

CRT's printing this week: $1 Crystal Light drink mix - there are single packs on the cooler doors that are 2/$1. So two for free or one with overage. Also another nice filler is the FREE GreenBag tag crt.

rejoyce 06-24-2011 08:42 AM

Cheetos single bags are only 30c at my store, i.e. instead of 33c each. :)

akatina 06-24-2011 08:58 AM

One of my CVSs had Stride Mystery flavor gum on clearance this week, a 3 pack for $0.90. Would make a very handy filler.