Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   D-Link DCS-930L Wireless N Network Camera $59.99 + Shipping, No Tax (http://slickdeals.net/f/2821357-d-link-dcs-930l-wireless-n-network-camera-59-99-shipping-no-tax)

franknitty69 04-07-2011 08:54 AM

D-Link DCS-930L Wireless N Network Camera $59.99 + Shipping, No Tax

Part of TigerDirect 100 Web-Busting Deals...

$59.99 + Shipping and no tax

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applic...=D700-6606

D-Link DCS-930L Wireless N Network Camera
The D-Link DCS-930L Wireless N Network Camera comes with everything you need to quickly add a surveillance camera to your home or small office network. It works right out of the box. Simply connect the cables, plug in the camera, run the short installation wizard and setup is complete. To view what the D-Link DCS-930L Wireless N Network Camera is seeing, simply log on to mydlink.com, choose your device, and start viewing - there is no need to configure your router to open up ports or remember hard-to-memorize Internet addresses. Order the D-Link DCS-930L Wireless N Network Camera today!

What It Is and Why You Need It:
Works with the mydlink iPhone app for on-the go viewing
Easily View and Manage Your Camera from mydlink.com
Sleek and compact design that fits in the smallest corners of your home

wikipost 04-07-2011 08:54 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

dead? says $89.99

MrMcGibblets 04-07-2011 09:27 AM

Thanks much! I had bought 4 of these from Newegg a month ago for $59.99 and then when I decided to buy 2 more a week later, the price shot up to $69.99. I checked it again today and it's now $79.99!

Just ordered two more from TigerDirect. Good thing I set up a SlickDeals alert!

Thanks again.

sinosudial 04-07-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerDave (Post 38677873)
Thanks much! I had bought 4 of these from Newegg a month ago for $59.99 and then when I decided to buy 2 more a week later, the price shot up to $69.99. I checked it again today and it's now $79.99!

Thanks again.

Are you using any outdoors? What do you think about them? This does seem like a good price for a featured-packed wireless cam. I'm tempted to get in on this.

MrMcGibblets 04-07-2011 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a screenshot from the "mydlink" site showing a solicitor coming up my driveway. I was also emailed about this directly by the camera. Nice!

MrMcGibblets 04-07-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinosudial (Post 38677989)
Are you using any outdoors? What do you think about them? This does seem like a good price for a featured-packed wireless cam. I'm tempted to get in on this.

Of the two I just ordered, I do plan on installing one outdoors. I recently bought a camera housing and mount from Monoprice.com for this very purpose. The housing is aluminum and is really intended for a more rectangular-shaped camera (such as your typical CCTV), but with a little modification, I can fit the DCS-930L into it.

Here's what I bought (for just $15!):

http://www.monoprice.com/products...1&format=2

Overall, I am very happy with them, but there are a few quirks I'd like to see resolved. You can read about them here (I'm member "TD99" there):

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=37755.0

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=37507.0

I also figured out how to create a gallery of FTP'd images:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=37758.0

Overall, I really do like the fact that I can use my Android phone to view live feeds. Now I know which cat is jumping on to my pool table while I'm at work!

Schly 04-07-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerDave (Post 38678227)
Here's a screenshot from the "mydlink" site showing a solicitor coming up my driveway. I was also emailed about this directly by the camera. Nice!

I think It's awesome that you have a cam in the guest bedroom. You never know what your guests are going to be up to behind your back. REPPED! :D

slickfanatic 04-07-2011 09:57 AM

Great info, TD! Gonna grab a few of these. Surprised how much better the video quality is on these cams vs the Trendnet one I got a few weeks ago. I also bought some Swann cameras from Costco, but these look like a better solution!

bigdaddyc188 04-07-2011 09:58 AM

I was thinking of this for watching what my dog is doing while I am at work.

gondychi375 04-07-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

The user reviews on the website are showing poor low-light functionality. Do you have any insight?

LiveFreeorDie 04-07-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

How far back from the window do you have the camera placed?

I have one in my bedroom window sill pointed down at my driveway and it tends to wash out from 10AM - 3PM on sunny days.

Rainy or overcast days are fine, just sunny ones that wash it out. The camera is in shade / shadow all day long...not in direct sunlight.

senmun 04-07-2011 10:16 AM

I bought the same last month and returned it without even testing after someone here suggested Foscam FI8918W , mainly for the night vision and tilt feature (worth extra $20). Bought if from eBay - an authorized foscam seller for $80 and working great.

Using Android app IP Cam Viewer to monitor remotely.

m124 04-07-2011 10:21 AM

Delete

sklar 04-07-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

showing a solicitor coming up my driveway.

Uh oh, it looks like that guys is serving a warrant!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddyc188 (Post 38678675)

Your dog installed several cameras at your work so he can watch what you're doing there.

LiveFreeorDie 04-07-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m124 (Post 38679381)
Where does this camera store its recordings?

I have mine setup to email me on motion and store images to my NAS on motion, it does not have internal storage. It can also record video to the NAS as well, but you need a computer running to do this.

ehode 04-07-2011 10:24 AM

I love that you have a camera on the guest bed.

TexasDude 04-07-2011 10:26 AM

PERFECT. I missed out on the Trendnet deal a few weeks ago and I've been waiting for IP cameras to go on sale again.

I picked up eight for the office, but PMed them at Frys. Thumbs up and repped (x4).

TexasDude 04-07-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schly (Post 38678537)
I think It's awesome that you have a cam in the guest bedroom.

HAHAHA. I saw that, too.

gakkuken 04-07-2011 10:32 AM

how is this cam compare to the trendnet one that was on sale weeks back?

seaescape 04-07-2011 10:32 AM

Is there really big difference between Trendnet TV-IP110W and this cam, should I sell my trendnet and buy this, any opinions!!!

m124 04-07-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btmoore007 (Post 38679453)
I have mine setup to email me on motion and store images to my NAS on motion, it does not have internal storage. It can also record video to the NAS as well, but you need a computer running to do this.

Can it record video to a hard drive on a computer?

BTW, thanks and repped!

cfizz34 04-07-2011 10:41 AM

Have you used this one before?

psu1313 04-07-2011 10:45 AM

rep'd

got one to see what my weimaraner does when I am at work...

LiveFreeorDie 04-07-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m124 (Post 38679861)
Can it record video to a hard drive on a computer?

BTW, thanks and repped!

Sure!

Here is the software [dlink.com] that you just download from D-Link. I just didn't want to keep a computer running, kinda pointless since I have a NAS!

simchadp 04-07-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schly (Post 38678537)
I think It's awesome that you have a cam in the guest bedroom. You never know what your guests are going to be up to behind your back. REPPED! :D

remind me never to come to your house! Lol

shawndoc 04-07-2011 10:53 AM

I've used this one, plus some by Compro. I found the picture on the D-Link one to be horrible, very blurry and "hazy" even when set to the highest quality image settings. I was also unable to use their website to view remotely as it requires port 80 be forwarded for their website to work, and something else on my network had already set up forwarding on the port. Changing the port also breaks the website. So if I wanted to watch remotely I'd have to manually set up port forwarding and use DynaDNS. The Compro models use software from Seedonk that automates peer to peer connections and has worked real well. Of course, the Comprocameras are much more expensive.

I have not used the simliar Trendnet models, but just looking at the specs the Trendnet has a larger CMOS sensor so should have a better picture, and the Trendnet supports 30FPS at 640x480 whereas the D-Link only does 20FPS. So at least on paper the Trednet is the better model.

cfizz34 04-07-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senmun (Post 38679201)
I bought the same last month and returned it without even testing after someone here suggested Foscam FI8918W , mainly for the night vision and tilt feature (worth extra $20). Bought if from eBay - an authorized foscam seller for $80 and working great.

I see that this one does not support wireless N. How is the quality on the G network? How is the night vision quality?

senmun 04-07-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfizz34 (Post 38680329)
I see that this one does not support wireless N. How is the quality on the G network? How is the night vision quality?

Quality is good. Checkout the videos posted on youtube.

m124 04-07-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawndoc (Post 38680301)
I've used this one, plus some by Compro. I found the picture on the D-Link one to be horrible, very blurry and "hazy" even when set to the highest quality image settings. I was also unable to use their website to view remotely as it requires port 80 be forwarded for their website to work, and something else on my network had already set up forwarding on the port. Changing the port also breaks the website. So if I wanted to watch remotely I'd have to manually set up port forwarding and use DynaDNS. The Compro models use software from Seedonk that automates peer to peer connections and has worked real well. Of course, the Comprocameras are much more expensive.

I have not used the simliar Trendnet models, but just looking at the specs the Trendnet has a larger CMOS sensor so should have a better picture, and the Trendnet supports 30FPS at 640x480 whereas the D-Link only does 20FPS. So at least on paper the Trednet is the better model.

Regarding the port 80 issue, here is a possible solution offered in one of the reviews on Amazon:

Quote:

It should be easy to setup if your port 80 is available. However, mine doesn't.

I emailed to D-Link tech support and see if they have any solution, first, they replied and just told me to use another port, that is! No further info. Then I email them again, explained what I had done, and I could see it using the IP address:port from the browser, but i couldn't see anything in mydlink.com and the iphone app. And I got one simple reply: "if the iphone app doesn't work, remove it and reinstall again."

Here is the solution:

If your port 80 is not available, then you CANNOT use mydlink.com
And you also CANNOT use iphone app DLINK LITE.

You have to change the port in the camera page in a web browser,for example if your camera's ip is 192.168.0.100, and you change the port to 81, then you must access to your camera 192.168.0.100:81
From outside, you need to type your home IP address ( I prefer to use DYNDNS.ORG ), so the address is yourname.dyndns.org:81

For Iphone user, you have to use the app calls DLINK CAM to view the camera because this app allow you to enter your IP and port.

For all user: there is no reason to call DLINK tech support except you want someone to piss you off, Google is the best tech support.

JJLL 04-07-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

looks more like your car is getting repossessed! :P

shawndoc 04-07-2011 11:20 AM

Thanks M124, but that's saying exactly what I said. You can't use their website remotely.

With the Compro + free Seedonk software I can view my camera anywhere without having to manually forward any ports or do anything else.

bluefossil 04-07-2011 11:23 AM

try http://www.vitamindinc.com/ may be better software/features than the D-link

allupinya 04-07-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehode (Post 38679461)

Wow, serious perv alert going off right now for TigerDave.

LiveFreeorDie 04-07-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawndoc (Post 38681125)
Thanks M124, but that's saying exactly what I said. You can't use their website remotely.

With the Compro + free Seedonk software I can view my camera anywhere without having to manually forward any ports or do anything else.

I didn't have to forward any ports on my router and I have no issues. I can access the image/video via mydlink.com, even log into the camera to change settings if need be via this link. Both the Android and IOS apps also work fine.

Not sure if the setup CD somehow took care of this as I did have to use the CD. I'm not into instructions and tried to just set the thing up, I actually had to use the CD to get things setup and setup a mydlink account. I'm curious now and will be logging into the router when I get home to check out port forwarding.

ShyGuyCalif 04-07-2011 11:29 AM

This camera is a joke. Resolution of only 640 x 480!!!!

All other features are useless if the resolution itself is bad. This might work bright sun light as shown but wait for low light and then picture will be pitch dark. If you are serious about monitoring then spend your money smarter.

Dont waste your money on this bag of crap.

J03 04-07-2011 11:33 AM

Bought one. I picked up a more expensive one at costco with pan and zoom and realized it was a waste of money. For $60 though this will be fun to play with.

travfar 04-07-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddyc188 (Post 38678675)

Get a Rovio and then you can follow him around too.

J03 04-07-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travfar (Post 38681599)
Get a Rovio and then you can follow him around too.

Hey good idea. I would love to watch my dog stare and bark at this thing all day.

travfar 04-07-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J03 (Post 38681641)
Hey good idea. I would love to watch my dog stare and bark at this thing all day.

My dog barked at it for the first few minutes. Now she just ignores it. Unless I speak to it through the speaker. Then she looks at it with her head tilted.

m124 04-07-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travfar (Post 38681721)
My dog barked at it for the first few minutes. Now she just ignores it. Unless I speak to it through the speaker. Then she looks at it with her head tilted.

What speaker?

boriszima 04-07-2011 12:03 PM

The business I work for, has about 100 DCS-900 cameras, previous generation. Currently we bought 9 of these cameras and their quality is far superior to the previous versions. I use http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6833127048 to make it "PoE" and only ran one CAT5E/CAT6 cable for both the Data and Power. We use them only for internal and during the day. At night and dark this camera is a waste. I ran IPview Cam on a server to record them. Quality with new ones is "good" It was also pretty easy to set them up on the wired network and well as wireless network. So for this price, I think its good for home use. Unless you need more feature rich software and PTZ.

travfar 04-07-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m124 (Post 38682255)
What speaker?

On the Rovio.

taipan 04-07-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerDave (Post 38678417)

I do something similar with my own IP cameras (mostly Trendnets). I FTP to my website every 20 minutes, and whenever the motion detection is triggered, then have them viewable on a web page that uses a nice slideshow effect to "play through them" up to the most recent image:

Here is the javascript I am using: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynam...deshow.htm (the bottom right slideshow, with the controls)

The Trendnet cameras (and maybe others?) create a directory name based on the date each day they FTP so each day a new directory is automatically created on my webserver and my PHP script looks for that day's directory, failing over to the previous day's directory if that one has not yet been created (say, before sunrise on a given day) I then use a little PHP to grab photo details (moddate, filesize, etc.) and display this info in the optional footer for each slide in the series to show this kind of info:

Front Yard Cam From April 07 2011 at 6:40:46 AM PDT (Size: 60.1k) Photo is 1 hrs 47 min old

The PHP script also determines sunrise/sunset times for my latitude and stops images taken in the dark from displaying in the slideshow (more than an hour before sunrise, or an hour after sunset).

Lastly, I have a cron job that runs once a night and calls a cleanup script I wrote that deletes any photo directories older than three days to ensure I don't fill up my web server.

mickey4paws 04-07-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Wow, that's awesome. Might just have to get one of these.

chrispcream 04-07-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerDave (Post 38678417)
Of the two I just ordered, I do plan on installing one outdoors. I recently bought a camera housing and mount from Monoprice.com for this very purpose. The housing is aluminum and is really intended for a more rectangular-shaped camera (such as your typical CCTV), but with a little modification, I can fit the DCS-930L into it.

Here's what I bought (for just $15!):

Overall, I am very happy with them, but there are a few quirks I'd like to see resolved. You can read about them here (I'm member "TD99" there):

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=37755.0

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=37507.0

Overall, I really do like the fact that I can use my Android phone to view live feeds. Now I know which cat is jumping on to my pool table while I'm at work!

The FTP album thing is really cool! I use a site called sensr.net with my DCS-930 and my Foscam (though I think any IP cam will work), and it does something similar automatically after you add a camera. They have a sweet DVR view that lets you play your motion images strung together. It's still in beta, but they're starting to add some social features too, so I can share my camera with my friends on FB. I know a guy who works there, and they reply pretty quickly to all of my feedback. BTW, with my DCS, their live view has less delay than the mydlink thing. Not a huge deal, but kind of nice.

chewspam 04-07-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allupinya (Post 38681217)

I'm sorry. Someone said "perv" and my deal alerts went off. What are we talking about?

veedo 04-07-2011 01:26 PM

I bought a couple of these cams direct from Dlink several months ago for the same price. I must say I am very disappointed in their wireless range. I have a Dlink DIR-655 wireless router and both cams are connected using 802.11n(2.4GHz), WAP2-AES security. One cam is in the same room as the router and the other is in a neighboring room 25ft away separated by only one wall. The cam in the same room gets around 30% signal strength (30Mbps) and the further one gets only 5%(1Mbps). The cam in the same room works fine, but the one in the neighboring room constantly drops connectivity. All my other wireless clients (some are even further away) have no problems. Anyone else having range issues with these cameras?

rchan326 04-07-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senmun (Post 38679201)

I ordered the DLink camera a couple weeks back but cancelled my order after reading the reviews from the previous deal thread which encouraged picking up the Foscam. Can you give any more insight or screenshots on your experience with the Foscam. i'm looking to pull the trigger on an IP camera very soon to watch my dog while i'm at work. Sounds like others in this thread are too, lol.

LiveFreeorDie 04-07-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veedo (Post 38684661)
I bought a couple of these cams direct from Dlink several months ago for the same price. I must say I am very disappointed in their wireless range. I have a Dlink DIR-655 wireless router and both cams are connected using 802.11n(2.4GHz), WAP2-AES security. One cam is in the same room as the router and the other is in a neighboring room 25ft away separated by only one wall. The cam in the same room gets around 30% signal strength (30Mbps) and the further one gets only 5%(1Mbps). The cam in the same room works fine, but the one in the neighboring room constantly drops connectivity. All my other wireless clients (some are even further away) have no problems. Anyone else having range issues with these cameras?

Are you getting the signal strength from the router or the camera? I don't see this on the camera's menu and the DIR-655 takes FOREVER to populate the wireless clients page (at least mine does!). I actually have a movie streaming on my phone just to make sure something is hitting the Internet and my page still doesn't show any clients!

EDIT: Got it! Site Survey on the camera shows 86% for me.

As far as port forwarding which was brought up earlier I DO NOT have any ports forwarded. Veedo, can you speak to this as well?

I actually ordered a Foscam earlier today for someone at work as they wanted night vision, I'm setting it up or them. This is perfect as I'd like to check these out as well. I've always been put off by Foscam as there are so many knock offs on the market.

This D-Link camera is far from the best, but alright since they're so cheap. I'm now having serious white wash issues with mine. I was hoping that this was a snowy winter thing, but it actually appears to be getting worse. I'm probably going to move this camera and get an outdoor camera that can deal with UV.

Loriski 04-07-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerDave (Post 38677873)

Thanks again.

Okay maybe a stupid question but bare with me here. My hubby wants a camera to watch for the Purple Martin's this year. Anyways what do I need for this to work? I figured it needs power to it but if it is wireless do I need anything else this will be mounted out in our shed away from my computer. I have a netgear N router in the house connected to my computer. Will this work? thanks..:)

veedo 04-07-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btmoore007 (Post 38687691)

EDIT: Got it! Site Survey on the camera shows 86% for me.

As far as port forwarding which was brought up earlier I DO NOT have any ports forwarded. Veedo, can you speak to this as well?

86% is excellent. I can't even get that with the camera a foot way from the router. How far away and what obstructions are there from the router to your camera?

I am not using port forwarding or dynamic dns (not that I know of). I just used the wizard on the CD and Mydlink.com.

SHOWTIME07 04-07-2011 04:20 PM

Another Foscam fan here. I have 2. The IR nightvision and pan/tilt make it worth the extra few bucks. I have an N router, but the Foscams have G signal. No issues at all with G. I even tested one in my backyard one night with a 30 foot extension cord all the way out to the farthest part of my yard. Signal/picture quality was just as clear as from 5 feet.

I've had them over a year with no issues.

teddy1971 04-07-2011 04:42 PM

I picket up the trendnet tv-ip110w a couple of weeks ago when buy.com had them for $40 (purchased 2). These cameras are great. Keep in mind that they do not have night vision but the areas that im viewing outdoors have lights that come on automatically at night when some comes close to the house. I have them situated indoors but viewing my driveway and front door. The are also setup to stream to my dlink NAS (DNS321) all day (8am to 6pm). This takes up about 40MB per day for each camera. Since I have 500GB of space on my NAS this is nothing. You can also enable motion detetion at the same time so it forwards me an email picture everytime someone pulls into my driveway or comes to my front door. I like this setup so much I getting two more for my back yard and inside my garage. I can even watch my house via my android phone using "ip camera viewer life". I have not use the dlink camera but imho the trendnet is a better buy based on the reviews.

senmun 04-07-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rchan326 (Post 38686511)
I ordered the DLink camera a couple weeks back but cancelled my order after reading the reviews from the previous deal thread which encouraged picking up the Foscam. Can you give any more insight or screenshots on your experience with the Foscam. i'm looking to pull the trigger on an IP camera very soon to watch my dog while i'm at work. Sounds like others in this thread are too, lol.

DLink camera has very good reviews and negative reviews are from mac users, thatswhy i ordered initially. But, if you want to use it at night without light source or would like to view different areas (to search where the dog is hiding!), go for Foscam. I m using Tilt feature a lot from my phone.

As I mentioned earlier, checkout youtube for videos.

I saw the Trendnet deal for $40 but did not pull the trigger because I like these 2 features.

greenmeansgoooo 04-07-2011 05:51 PM

if you intend to use this camera outside definitely put it inside an enclosure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by senmun (Post 38690107)
DLink camera has very good reviews and negative reviews are from mac users, thatswhy i ordered initially. But, if you want to use it at night without light source or would like to view different areas (to search where the dog is hiding!), go for Foscam. I m using Tilt feature a lot from my phone.

As I mentioned earlier, checkout youtube for videos.

I saw the Trendnet deal for $40 but did not pull the trigger because I like these 2 features.

Foscams are great, just make sure you get the real thing and not the fakes.

LiveFreeorDie 04-07-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veedo (Post 38688645)
86% is excellent. I can't even get that with the camera a foot way from the router. How far away and what obstructions are there from the router to your camera?

I am not using port forwarding or dynamic dns (not that I know of). I just used the wizard on the CD and Mydlink.com.

The camera is probably 20-25 feet from the router...the room directly above in a different corner...so 1 floor, no walls.

senmun 04-07-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenmeansgoooo (Post 38690869)
if you intend to use this camera outside definitely put it inside an enclosure.

Foscams are great, just make sure you get the real thing and not the fakes.

Here is the list of Foscam authorized sellers (including ebay & amzn).

http://foscam.com/buy.asp

greenmeansgoooo 04-07-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senmun (Post 38692121)
Here is the list of Foscam authorized sellers (including ebay & amzn).

http://foscam.com/buy.asp

ah thanks, i was wondering where i had put that link.

the fakes are obvious as they dont have all the connections for like audio, but you dont know that until its to late.

LiveFreeorDie 04-08-2011 02:00 PM

Foscam update...

Wow does this setup SUCK! Initially I was flying along, then ran into an email issue with gmail. Worked around this and can get the camera to send emails out, however with NO IMAGE! This is only when I hit the test button as well. I can see motion detected in the logs, however motion emails are not being sent out.

I'm only 1/2 hour into this, but the D-Link menus and UI are MUCH nicer! Quality also doesn't appear to be as crisp on the Foscam. I hope to work through these issues looking at Foscam Forums and such and hopefully the night vision will work well.

EDIT: Glad I vented...emails are now working!

nesan 04-08-2011 06:37 PM

is pan/tilt an essential feature? I am thinking of getting this foscam [foscam.us], but it does not have pan/tilt feature. Also, it is not clearly mentioned if this can be used outdoor?

logicstep 04-09-2011 02:24 AM

foscam ebay seller

Hi Guys,

Which foscam genuine ebay seller you bought yours from and how much?
Do you have the ebay seller id?

Thanks in advance.

jaysen 04-09-2011 03:32 AM

I'm about to pick (2) Foscam's up perhaps more, however I think im gonna pay a few bucks more and buy from Amazon only to deal with their "hassle free" returns should I encounter an issue. $16-20 extra is piece of mind :) just my dos

EDIT: Damn it, price just went up to $99 from $86.49 two days ago. ERR, looks like im gonna have to monitor the price.

greenmeansgoooo 04-09-2011 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysen (Post 38727083)
I'm about to pick (2) Foscam's up perhaps more, however I think im gonna pay a few bucks more and buy from Amazon only to deal with their "hassle free" returns should I encounter an issue. $16-20 extra is piece of mind :) just my dos

EDIT: Damn it, price just went up to $99 from $86.49 two days ago. ERR, looks like im gonna have to monitor the price.

highest ive seen is $120 from an approved seller and the lowest is around $86.

you do make a good point about buying through amazon.

jaysen 04-09-2011 05:25 AM

So I ended up going through Foscam's website and linking directly to their authorized ebay sellers and purchased here; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI....5880wt_764

These are roughly $4 cheaper than what was listed on Amazon when I last saw it - I wasn't really trying to be cheap, but I figured these gotta be Genuine if Foscam directly links them.

m124 04-11-2011 10:31 AM

Can the Dlink camera send pictures to FTP without any computer being invloved? If yes, are there any FTP providers that offer free space without making your photos public?

fpsfreak 04-11-2011 11:08 AM

i just checked the FI8918W model on youtube and it looks great for things that dont move,but when people are moving the quailty isnt very good.

LiveFreeorDie 04-11-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m124 (Post 38772759)
Can the Dlink camera send pictures to FTP without any computer being invloved? If yes, are there any FTP providers that offer free space without making your photos public?

Yes, however I'm just saving to my NAS...not something offsite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fpsfreak (Post 38773691)
i just checked the FI8918W model on youtube and it looks great for things that dont move,but when people are moving the quailty isnt very good.

I agree that the image is better on the D-Link, however I like the way emails got out from the Foscam as well as the IR. The "outdoor" Light Frequency setting on the Foscam is also FAR SUPERIOR! The D-Link only offers the 50Hz and 60Hz settings. My D-Link washes out during the day while the Foscam looks great!

I was/am happy with my D-Link camera, however I think I'm going to pickup 1 or 2 Foscams for around the house as well.

abarajame 04-21-2011 11:03 AM

For those who got this camera, can you access the camera without going to D-Link's website? I don't want my video traveling to the internets and then coming back

angle123 04-21-2011 11:12 AM

I just got the AirLink 600W yesterday for $53.

woodlims 04-23-2011 10:37 PM

Where did you get?

Quote:

Originally Posted by angle123 (Post 39032943)
I just got the AirLink 600W yesterday for $53.

franknitty69 04-27-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abarajame (Post 39032723)
For those who got this camera, can you access the camera without going to D-Link's website? I don't want my video traveling to the internets and then coming back

when you view the camera on mydlink, its not actually making a round trip. the site just offers a simple way to view/manage multiple cams without messing with your firewall.

if you want to view the camera directly, you can view it on your local network and from the internet after forwarding the default port 80. if 80 is already in use you would to configure the cam and firewall to use a one.

also if you want to use some very good cam software, webcamxp is dope. this is what i use with my home automation.

http://www.webcamxp.com/home.aspx

ronald0211 04-27-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abarajame (Post 39032723)

I have this camera and love it. As OP stated above me, you can access this camera directly without using the dlink program. To do this, you would have to go into your router and forward port 80 to the "assigned" IP of the camera.

ie. main computer --> 192.168.1.1
PC 2 ---> 192.168.1.2
Entertainment consule --> 192.168.1.3
CAMERA ----> 192.168.1.4

so depending on your router, you just have to play around with it and assign port 80 to 80 to 192.168.1.4. After this, browse around your router and try and find your real IP. That's it! now you can go anywhere and just type in your real IP and a camera login screen will appear. Hope that helps

cwing 04-27-2011 05:38 PM

looks like it's dead. Currently $79.99.

m124 05-06-2011 07:52 AM

I tried to do the firmware upgrade that appeared a couple of days ago, it failed and now the camera is unusable: the light flashes red. I also tried resetting the camera using the reset button on the back to no avail. Anyone else in the same boat?

MrMcGibblets 05-20-2011 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gondychi375 (Post 38678947)
The user reviews on the website are showing poor low-light functionality. Do you have any insight?

Consider these "daytime only" cameras. After all, for the price...

Quote:

Originally Posted by btmoore007 (Post 38679053)
How far back from the window do you have the camera placed?

I have one in my bedroom window sill pointed down at my driveway and it tends to wash out from 10AM - 3PM on sunny days.

Rainy or overcast days are fine, just sunny ones that wash it out. The camera is in shade / shadow all day long...not in direct sunlight.

Mine is right up against the glass. It's pointing north, so direct sunlight never hits that window or the camera. I never have a problem with a picture washing out. Have you tried adjusting the brightness and contrast settings in the camera's UI?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehode (Post 38679461)

Quote:

Originally Posted by allupinya (Post 38681217)

Yeah, it really should be called "Sophie's Room"... See the attached image below and it will all make sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShyGuyCalif (Post 38681371)
This camera is a joke. Resolution of only 640 x 480!!!!

All other features are useless if the resolution itself is bad. This might work bright sun light as shown but wait for low light and then picture will be pitch dark. If you are serious about monitoring then spend your money smarter.

Dont waste your money on this bag of crap.

Ummm, it's $60! What do you expect? 1080p at 60fps and 7.1 surround sound?

Quote:

Originally Posted by taipan (Post 38683393)
Here is the javascript I am using: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynam...deshow.htm (the bottom right slideshow, with the controls)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrispcream (Post 38683655)
The FTP album thing is really cool! I use a site called sensr.net with my DCS-930 and my Foscam (though I think any IP cam will work), and it does something similar automatically after you add a camera.

Nice! Thanks for the info, I'll check them both out ASAP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by veedo (Post 38684661)

That's odd because I have one in the garage now that probably 60+ feet away and is going through 3 walls and a floor (my Wireless-N router is located upstairs). No probs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loriski (Post 38688079)
Okay maybe a stupid question but bare with me here. My hubby wants a camera to watch for the Purple Martin's this year. Anyways what do I need for this to work? I figured it needs power to it but if it is wireless do I need anything else this will be mounted out in our shed away from my computer. I have a netgear N router in the house connected to my computer. Will this work? thanks..:)

As long as the camera is within range of the router's reach, you should be all set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m124 (Post 38772759)

Yes! That's one thing that sold me on the DCS-930L. No PC is required. It communicates with your wireless router and send the captured images directly up to the web. As for providers, I'm sure there are, but do not know any off-hand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m124 (Post 39395319)
I tried to do the firmware upgrade that appeared a couple of days ago, it failed and now the camera is unusable: the light flashes red. I also tried resetting the camera using the reset button on the back to no avail. Anyone else in the same boat?

Well I was about to update the firmware last night, but I now see it's no longer posted. Good thing I didn't go forward with it, based on what you're reporting. You might want to contact D-Link Support. They usually respond within 2-3 business days.

m124 05-20-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerDave (Post 39748811)
Well I was about to update the firmware last night, but I now see it's no longer posted. Good thing I didn't go forward with it, based on what you're reporting. You might want to contact D-Link Support. They usually respond within 2-3 business days.

I contacted Dlink support, they could not fix it, so I had to return the camera to Tigerdirect and I am now awaiting a replacement.

m124 05-24-2011 07:07 PM

Does anyone know how to store images or video from this camera to a computer?