Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tech Support (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The *official* Android on the HP Touchpad owner's thread (http://slickdeals.net/f/3447614-the-official-android-on-the-hp-touchpad-owner-s-thread)

bird_of_prey 11-10-2011 10:49 PM

i got my touchpad all droided up, but my rate of success on installation of files is about 40%. This includes many programs that have been marked as successful by the Cryo team. All I get is a installation unsuccessful message with no reason for the failure. Anyone have any ideas?

On another note, I cannot move my apps to the "sd card" it gives me a "unable to move error" message. I cannot mount the virtual sd card either. I haven't seen anything about this except that the root of the tp memory is doubling as the sd card. But that doesn't help me.

LiquidRetro 11-11-2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bird_of_prey (Post 44609010)
i got my touchpad all droided up, but my rate of success on installation of files is about 40%. This includes many programs that have been marked as successful by the Cryo team. All I get is a installation unsuccessful message with no reason for the failure. Anyone have any ideas?

On another note, I cannot move my apps to the "sd card" it gives me a "unable to move error" message. I cannot mount the virtual sd card either. I haven't seen anything about this except that the root of the tp memory is doubling as the sd card. But that doesn't help me.

Sounds like you have major install problems or something. I have very few apps that don't run on mine. Posting on Rootzwiki will probably get you better results than here. Your running Alpha 2.1 right? There is no point in moving apps to the SD card since the TP doesnt have one. I was under the impression that it was basically one large built in drive to install apps on.

Nurgle 11-11-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bird_of_prey (Post 44609010)

Sounds like a permissions thing. Try booting into CWM and going to fix permissions.

bird_of_prey 11-12-2011 03:21 AM

ok thanks for the replies. I'll try reinstalling.

koths 11-12-2011 08:37 PM

is it possible to do the HDMI out to TV on touchpad

dbpaddler 11-12-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koths (Post 44663182)

No. Highly doubt the Touchpad microUSB even has the extra pins in it to even support the audio and video. I believe standard is going to have 1xPower, 1xGround & 2xData. And I don't believe it supports DLNA either.

helloha1 11-13-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koths (Post 44663182)

looks like they're trying.
http://code.google.com/p/cmtouchp...tail?id=38
Quote:

What can possibly work:
HDMI through Micro USB (The System-on-a-Chip has the required hardware, have to find which pin #) (webOS 3.0.4 may have HDMI support, and if so we can reverse engineer the process, stay tuned)

screenname 11-13-2011 03:54 PM

---------------

prozac4312 11-13-2011 04:55 PM

So how far along is the TouchDroid development? I know it was made publicly available like a month to 6 weeks ago, but at that point I think it was early alpha at best with too many bugs to be considered stable. Is it still at that point?

I'd love to get Android on my TouchPad, but I don't want to have to work through any kinks along the way.

CoalBolt 11-14-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prozac4312 (Post 44684830)
So how far along is the TouchDroid development? I know it was made publicly available like a month to 6 weeks ago, but at that point I think it was early alpha at best with too many bugs to be considered stable. Is it still at that point?

I'd love to get Android on my TouchPad, but I don't want to have to work through any kinks along the way.

honestly the alpha version is better then you would expect. The only problem I have is that whenever i move to a new wifi location throughout campus I have to reconnect. Which kinda sucks but it honestly is so worth it for the android app market. Otherwise it is exactly like an android phone, and so worth it

brbubba 11-14-2011 11:37 AM

SoD fix works for me!! :woot:

The device will still turn itself off after a while, but it boots right back up without that hard reset. Although the WiFi still seems to be an issue as it doesn't come right back on after the boot.

hoog23 11-15-2011 05:06 PM

Used this [youtube.com] to fix my wifi issue.

Edit: Now how do I get the non-phone sized keyboard?

LiquidRetro 11-16-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoog23 (Post 44756474)
Used this [youtube.com] to fix my wifi issue.

Edit: Now how do I get the non-phone sized keyboard?

I am using Thumb Keyboard and really like it on the touchpad.

user10101 11-20-2011 06:36 PM

is it possible to restore to factory webos build after trying cyanogenmod?

brbubba 11-21-2011 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam8784 (Post 44925218)
is it possible to restore to factory webos build after trying cyanogenmod?

There is an uninstall utility that will restore the partition to stock. If you can install it you can uninstall it. However, if you are that worried about it I would not bother with the Alpha. I'd hate to see you try the uninstall and not have it work for you due to some fluke.

EDIT: Looks like Ice Cream Sandwich is right around the corner!!!
http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/1...in/2339769

LiquidRetro 11-21-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brbubba (Post 44937908)
There is an uninstall utility that will restore the partition to stock. If you can install it you can uninstall it. However, if you are that worried about it I would not bother with the Alpha. I'd hate to see you try the uninstall and not have it work for you due to some fluke.

EDIT: Looks like Ice Cream Sandwich is right around the corner!!!
http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/1...in/2339769

I was hoping we would get another update to the alpha here soon. My TP running android has really degraded recently. The SOD issue is worse than ever.

trashk3n 11-22-2011 06:43 PM

Alpha 3 is out:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10121-...-touchpad/

coolpizza 11-22-2011 07:17 PM

UPDATE 11/22: CM7 Alpha3 for Touchpad with Simple Installation Guide [blogspot.com]

stonestreet 11-22-2011 09:29 PM

Quick question guys. Hoping someone can help me out. I finally decided to put android on my touchpad. I followed all of the instructions in the idiots(that's me) guide video using CM7 Alpha 3. Got android on my touchpad, but no market. I go look for a market fix: http://www.tabletsupportforum.com...n-TouchPad follow the instructions and still no market. Any ideas or something to point me in the right direction?

Anything.... :-)

hooha23 11-22-2011 09:38 PM

Whoa just tried to update to Alpha 3 and started looping. Restoring rom and will attempt again.

Used these steps instead:

1) Download CM Alpha 3 "update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-a3-fullofbugs-signed.zip"
2) Connect your TouchPad to your PC and put it into USB storage mode. Put "update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-a3-fullofbugs-signed.zip" on the root of your TouchPad.
3) Boot into CWM recovery. Do a Backup.
4) Wipe Cache. Under "Advanced Options", Wipe Dalvik Cache.
5) Install zip from SD Card. Choose "update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-a3-fullofbugs-signed.zip".
6) Reboot Device.

Moral of the story: Clearing cache is IMPORTANT!!

Now I gotta figure out how to update moboot too...

stonestreet 11-22-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonestreet (Post 45020120)
Quick question guys. Hoping someone can help me out. I finally decided to put android on my touchpad. I followed all of the instructions in the idiots(that's me) guide video using CM7 Alpha 3. Got android on my touchpad, but no market. I go look for a market fix: http://www.tabletsupportforum.com...n-TouchPad follow the instructions and still no market. Any ideas or something to point me in the right direction?

Anything.... :-)

Nevermind...I fixed it myself. :nod:

hooha23 11-22-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonestreet (Post 45021090)
Nevermind...I fixed it myself. :nod:

you should post your own answer in your post (ie: edit it) so that others will know what you did. :wave:

Had another problem during the Alpha 3 update. WIFI was connecting but market and other apps like Mint kept saying "no connection"

Solution: Date had somehow reset to 1970 when applying update. Fixed date. All good.

gabe23111 11-23-2011 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooha23 (Post 45021364)
Had another problem during the Alpha 3 update. WIFI was connecting but market and other apps like Mint kept saying "no connection"

Solution: Date had somehow reset to 1970 when applying update. Fixed date. All good.

How are you liking Alpha 3? Any noticeable differences from Alpha 2? Any battery life improvement?

I'm asking because i'm a tech idiot :compunch: and it took me a long time to get Alpha 2 installed & working... I would like to know if it's worth it for me to put on Alpha 3 and the time it will take me to do it.

Edit: I did see this: (but I would like to know your first hand experience w/ Alpha 3)

* Last prominent form of "sleep of death" fixed
* Webkit backing store(smoother scrolling)
* Minor improvements to 2D/3D performance in some apps
* Bluetooth DPad/arrows do not rotate with screen
* Battery stats now available to Android
* Serial# now populated
* Shorter hostname as a result of serial#
* General wifi fixes
* Preliminary Touchpad 4G support(no radio)
* Status bar should take less resources after an app goes full screen
* Possible fix for A2DP and wifi interference
* Possible fix for SD card not mounting
* Camera FPS improved but still nearly nonfunctional

hooha23 11-23-2011 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabe23111 (Post 45030132)
How are you liking Alpha 3? Any noticeable differences from Alpha 2? Any battery life improvement?

I'm asking because i'm a tech idiot :compunch: and it took me a long time to get Alpha 2 installed & working... I would like to know if it's worth it for me to put on Alpha 3 and the time it will take me to do it.

Edit: I did see this: (but I would like to know your first hand experience w/ Alpha 3)

* Last prominent form of "sleep of death" fixed
* Webkit backing store(smoother scrolling)
* Minor improvements to 2D/3D performance in some apps
* Bluetooth DPad/arrows do not rotate with screen
* Battery stats now available to Android
* Serial# now populated
* Shorter hostname as a result of serial#
* General wifi fixes
* Preliminary Touchpad 4G support(no radio)
* Status bar should take less resources after an app goes full screen
* Possible fix for A2DP and wifi interference
* Possible fix for SD card not mounting
* Camera FPS improved but still nearly nonfunctional

Just woke up. Haven't played with it since I installed it last night. Two things I think I noticed last night:
1) seemed a little 'zippier' in sections which seemed to have a lag in 2.1
2) power off seems to take a little longer than with 2.1
3) camera seems to work a little better, but like they said in the update log, its still pretty crummy

The update isnt too bad to do. As long as you a) BACKUP WITH CLOCKWORKMOD and b) clear both caches using clockworkmod.

The biggest deal is supposed to be the wifi fixes. I will play with it more today. Off of work for the rest of the week!!

gabe23111 11-23-2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooha23 (Post 45030310)
Just woke up. Haven't played with it since I installed it last night. Two things I think I noticed last night:
1) seemed a little 'zippier' in sections which seemed to have a lag in 2.1
2) power off seems to take a little longer than with 2.1
3) camera seems to work a little better, but like they said in the update log, its still pretty crummy

The update isnt too bad to do. As long as you a) BACKUP WITH CLOCKWORKMOD and b) clear both caches using clockworkmod.

The biggest deal is supposed to be the wifi fixes. I will play with it more today. Off of work for the rest of the week!!

Thanks for the input. Repped +4 for taking the time..

I found a video on Rootzwiki [rootzwiki.com] that should help me with the install.

One more question... How do I do a backup w/ clockwork mod?

TIA

hooha23 11-23-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabe23111 (Post 45031448)
Thanks for the input. Repped +4 for taking the time..

I found a video on Rootzwiki [rootzwiki.com] that should help me with the install.

One more question... How do I do a backup w/ clockwork mod?

TIA

a) check your date in android. make sure it is correct

1) reboot into recovery (clockworkmod option at boot screen)
2) you are now in clockwork mod. go to the "backup/restore" section
3) choose backup
4) it may ask you to confirm and should start backing up. may take 5-30ish minutes depending on how much you have installed

5) when it is done, go to "restore" and you should see a line item with a date. that is your backup. this step is just to make sure it worked. DONT click it, or it will begin restoring.

gabe23111 11-23-2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooha23 (Post 45031830)
a) check your date in android. make sure it is correct

1) reboot into recovery (clockworkmod option at boot screen)
2) you are now in clockwork mod. go to the "backup/restore" section
3) choose backup
4) it may ask you to confirm and should start backing up. may take 5-30ish minutes depending on how much you have installed

5) when it is done, go to "restore" and you should see a line item with a date. that is your backup. this step is just to make sure it worked. DONT click it, or it will begin restoring.

Thanks again for your time & help!

You explained it perfectly for the "dummies" like me :)

calculus1918 11-23-2011 09:43 AM

I am giving the touchpad to the wife as a gift over Christmas and have a question regarding the upgrade to Android. I will be using the ACME installer since I don't have the Clockwork Recovery installed (factory default touchpad).

Once I upgrade to Alpha 3, do I have the access to Clockwork automatically for future installs?

Sorry if this seems like a noob question, I have installed cyanogenmod on my phone, but I had to root with superuser permissions and type in special string of text, etc... Hopefully this is easier so I can access to the Clockwork Recovery.

LiquidRetro 11-23-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calculus1918 (Post 45038278)
I am giving the touchpad to the wife as a gift over Christmas and have a question regarding the upgrade to Android. I will be using the ACME installer since I don't have the Clockwork Recovery installed (factory default touchpad).

Once I upgrade to Alpha 3, do I have the access to Clockwork automatically for future installs?

Sorry if this seems like a noob question, I have installed cyanogenmod on my phone, but I had to root with superuser permissions and type in special string of text, etc... Hopefully this is easier so I can access to the Clockwork Recovery.

Yes once you get Android installed the upgrades happen from Clockwork. There are videos of how the install work. Its really pretty easy to do, just follow the directions carefully.

brbubba 11-23-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calculus1918 (Post 45038278)

It will show up as an option at boot. Very easy to do upgrades.

calculus1918 11-23-2011 12:14 PM

Thanks for the update guys, can't wait to try this out over Christmas :-)!!!

kennyl 11-23-2011 04:17 PM

Alpha 3 install went flawlessly. Loving my TouchPad more and more.

WebOS is cool, but the Android app market, plus dual-boot makes this a no brainier.

Anyone afraid to try Android on the TP, do the research, check the available videos and info here http://touchpadfans.blogspot.com/...on-tp.html

Go for it

BillFrugge 11-24-2011 09:34 AM

I finally decided to try updating my Touchpad to Android.

I didn't get far with novacom until I got the error message that it failed to connect to server. A little bit of searching brought me to these instructions:

http://reviewhorizon.com/2011/10/...-touchpad/

Installing the proper version of Novacom for Windows solved the problem. Trying to learn Android now. (It's nowhere near as intuitive as WebOS, but oh well...)

drcrappants 11-25-2011 01:36 AM

whats the advantage of dual boot? i thought the updated webos was pretty good itself already

sup3rson1c 11-25-2011 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcrappants (Post 45146289)
whats the advantage of dual boot? i thought the updated webos was pretty good itself already

From the wiki:

Suggested apps after installing CM7 on your Touchpad
Netflix
The official BBC app
Dolphin HD browser (webOS browser is absolute garbage)
The official Engadget app
Pulse (news feed)
The official Twitter app

Ubie 11-25-2011 01:25 PM

I switched back to the 2nd Alpha release. 3 was full of bugs, couldn't run clockwork knight worth anything, sprites went missing in other games, wouldn't register a charge, lots of issues. 2 is solid for me though, didn't have the speaker or other problems.

RiversMerge 11-26-2011 04:34 PM

Finally back on cyan. After the break from update with os been on webos until 3 or beta comes out. Have to say really enjoyed the battery life and speed os was getting but that was like a vacation from the real world. You eventually have to get back and make real decisions and do real things. Besides no Netflix is a real deal breaker. So far seems just fine. So. What's the eta on the next release:P

Edit: after reboot wifi wont connect and fixes came across didn't do it so back on 2.1 hopefully 3.1 will be better.

P.S. Seems some issue with screen filling full tablet have to pinch out w/dolphin each time ehh the real world.

beldar3648 11-28-2011 09:31 AM

Do you need to install the g-apps to get the market? I don't see the icon for market on my after installing alpha3.

UPDATE: Nevermind I found the link to install the g-apps: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/6613-h...-touchpad/

gabe23111 11-28-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiversMerge (Post 45214981)
Edit: after reboot wifi wont connect and fixes came across didn't do it so back on 2.1 hopefully 3.1 will be better.

On 3.1 there is a world of a difference for me regarding wi-fi. I don't have any of the issues I had with 2.1. No resetting the wi-fi evey "few minures", don't have to set my Touchpad to "never sleep", etc...

I am not a heavy user but as far as the wi-fi I think you will be pleasantly surprised with 3.1

Edit: I think Wi-Fi issues with 2.1 was one of the main reasons for the 3.1 release

beldar3648 11-28-2011 01:33 PM

Has anyone found a good media player that plays MKVs well? Looking for some recommendations.

UPDATE: Going to give Moboplayer a try and see how that works.

On a note, is there a way to watch videos remotely from a NAS on the touchpad? The NAS is upnp/smb.

LiquidRetro 11-28-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabe23111 (Post 45301376)
On 3.1 there is a world of a difference for me regarding wi-fi. I don't have any of the issues I had with 2.1. No resetting the wi-fi evey "few minures", don't have to set my Touchpad to "never sleep", etc...

I am not a heavy user but as far as the wi-fi I think you will be pleasantly surprised with 3.1

Edit: I think Wi-Fi issues with 2.1 was one of the main reasons for the 3.1 release

Wifi and Screen of Death.

My 3.1 review. Wow this thing is really starting to shine. My wifi issues are fixed. My SOD issues are fixed. It has be 5 or 6 days without a reboot and no screens of death. The one new problem I have is with audio stuttering. When watching a video (Doesnt matter the source) or playing music I get stuttering every few minutes. It is like it is buffering but the content is local on the player. Once this is fixed I am very happy with the build. Planning to donate to the CM guys in december.

PinkyToe 11-28-2011 06:59 PM

hi guys, i'm usually not one to wait around to root and such things, but I've been pretty busy. I tried to follow the instructions a few weks ago to install alpha 2.1, but I couldn't do it... it just wouldn't load...

I have no previous install and i got reware and a few hacks installd in WebOS. I am running the latest firmware of WebOS however... could that be why the touchpad isn't flashing??? I know that I have all the files right and stuff... just wondering what else it could be.

Oh, also, my version is the 32 GB version.

BillFrugge 11-28-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanhaggan (Post 45328032)
hi guys, i'm usually not one to wait around to root and such things, but I've been pretty busy. I tried to follow the instructions a few weks ago to install alpha 2.1, but I couldn't do it... it just wouldn't load...

I've got a 32GB TP also, and was able to install v3 by following those same instructions.

Watch one or two of the videos if you haven't already. Things begin to make sense once you see it done. (Like getting the TP into the right mode, and how to enter the novacom command -- I couldn't see why you'd run a program on Windows when you are working on the TP, especially after disconnecting it.)

Note that you do need to get the right version of Novacom installed on your computer. I installed using a 64-bit version of Windows 7, and the version that came with the files just would not work for me. After that, it couldn't be easier.

helloha1 11-28-2011 09:39 PM

any ideas whether there are going to be any more gingerbread releases, or is it just going to be straight to ICS from here?

LiquidRetro 11-29-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helloha1 (Post 45337600)
any ideas whether there are going to be any more gingerbread releases, or is it just going to be straight to ICS from here?

No one knows for sure so this is all just speculation but I would say there will be more Alpha or beta releases but we may not see a Final release of GB for the Touchpad. ICS is huge for developers to work on and there has been some early success but it will take time to get it working on all of the devices that Cyanogenmod supports. I think most developers are focusing on phones first, especially on devices that are currently shipping vs devices you can no longer easily buy. I would also think development might slow down a little as people get busy with the holidays and new year. Just be patient and support your developers who are pouring hours into the Cyanogenmod project.

RiversMerge 11-29-2011 01:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally solved my wifi connection loop issue. Simultaneous dual band router connecting at 2.4ghz. security changed to wpa personal from wpa2/wpa mixed. should have done earlier but was a new router. Now will go alpha 3 and see if fix is in.

EDIT: turns out it was my router settings issue got alpha 3 working fine it seems (btb we are on 3 not 3.1 I was refering to next release that would fix my wifi issue;))

runIrish24 11-29-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanhaggan (Post 45328032)

I have no previous install and i got reware and a few hacks installd in WebOS. I am running the latest firmware of WebOS however... could that be why the touchpad isn't flashing??? I know that I have all the files right and stuff... just wondering what else it could be.

Oh, also, my version is the 32 GB version.

This guy will tell you everything

mac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ57i2d7NBY
pc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=997I8k1AIzc

also make sure that your computer doesn't automatically unzip any files. That was my problem at first

PinkyToe 11-29-2011 06:56 PM

thanks guys... it worked this time... i think it was unplugging the touchpad completely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillFrugge (Post 45329690)
I've got a 32GB TP also, and was able to install v3 by following those same instructions.

Watch one or two of the videos if you haven't already. Things begin to make sense once you see it done. (Like getting the TP into the right mode, and how to enter the novacom command -- I couldn't see why you'd run a program on Windows when you are working on the TP, especially after disconnecting it.)

Note that you do need to get the right version of Novacom installed on your computer. I installed using a 64-bit version of Windows 7, and the version that came with the files just would not work for me. After that, it couldn't be easier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by runIrish24 (Post 45382934)
This guy will tell you everything

mac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ57i2d7NBY
pc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=997I8k1AIzc

also make sure that your computer doesn't automatically unzip any files. That was my problem at first

thanks guys... it worked well for me... i think i just needed to unplug the touchpad completely.

RiversMerge 11-30-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beldar3648 (Post 45308362)
Has anyone found a good media player that plays MKVs well? Looking for some recommendations.

UPDATE: Going to give Moboplayer a try and see how that works.

On a note, is there a way to watch videos remotely from a NAS on the touchpad? The NAS is upnp/smb.

If you can spare the cpu PLAYON is sooo versitile and has a mobile app or ORB is the one I like less could do it believe. Found this little thing might help you http://blogs.unbolt.net/index.php/brinley/2010/10/13/stream-videos-from-windows-smb-share-to-android-device

beldar3648 12-02-2011 09:38 AM

I finally am able to play files that are on my NAS on the touchpad. I just use esfile explorer to add the SMB and then just navigate to the file I want to play. I am using rockplayer as my media player since I do not see any issues with it at all when trying to do this. I was using moboplayer but that wasn't working at all for me.

hoog23 12-02-2011 11:37 AM

How exactly does Splashtop work?

I finally got connected to my employer's VPN.

Do I need to install a applet or plugin on my work PC or can I connect via an IP address like remote desktop?

Thanks

EDIT: Solved. I downloaded the plugin

Anyone get citrix working yet on https?

RiversMerge 12-03-2011 01:59 AM

Tried a bunch of media players and moboPlayer was the only one that worked like a dream. Got a bunch of shows converted with MCEbuddy on the TP can play on either side of boot. So glad got the 32gb now.

maramos 12-03-2011 08:43 AM

Issue seemed to fix itself, thanks for the youtube link. CM7 seems to be running well.

dealhunter85 12-03-2011 08:30 PM

I am going to try to install this tomorrow. If I wanted to, is it easy to uninstall? I see there is an app in preware that says "uninstall android". Is that what I would use, and would it remove everything? Also, 3.6 webOS update should be released sometime, and possibly other updates. If I have android installed, could I still update webOS or is there something I would have to do with android first so things don't get messed up?

before I install android, do I have to remove any of my patches?

RiversMerge 12-04-2011 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealhunter85 (Post 45559390)
I am going to try to install this tomorrow. If I wanted to, is it easy to uninstall? I see there is an app in preware that says "uninstall android". Is that what I would use, and would it remove everything? Also, 3.6 webOS update should be released sometime, and possibly other updates. If I have android installed, could I still update webOS or is there something I would have to do with android first so things don't get messed up?

before I install android, do I have to remove any of my patches?

There is a uninstall that is linked on the rootzwiki site never tried it but is suppose to be easy to do never heard of the one in preware. It does remove the moboot and all of android.

No need to do anything with WEBOS before instal, preware or anything else.

WebOS updates have broken android in the past so once putting android on be careful and find out at that time if it is breaking before updating yourself. If it does update and android stop working it is easier the second time putting it on because you have done it before so don't worry.

tracydr 12-04-2011 09:29 AM

I am thinking of installing today.

I've already done all of the other hacks, overclocking, etc.

I have been trying to wait a bit until all of the bugs were worked out, so I didn't have to deal with all that.

With that said, what is the status of everything coming along? Are most of the bugs worked out now are there still issues?

I'm not completely tech savvy and there isn't a giant rush at this point for me.

Is now the time to go ahead and install, or should I wait a few more weeks to see if more bugs are worked out? I noticed someone had problems with wifi working with their wpa2 and the android. Is this a common issue? We have everything set up and working nicely on wpa2 and I don't want to change it....any other common issues like this?

born2blove 12-04-2011 11:41 AM

Helo all

I need some help
After I update webos my HP Touchpad wont show the option dual boot to boot in Andoid an more.
Please show me how to fix it.

thank you

dealhunter85 12-04-2011 03:32 PM

Well, I installed it and it went fine. I just wish android was not so confusing. Is there a good guide to the OS out there? I have never had android before. I have only an ipod touch and a touchpad.

Also, I installd the google apps, but I had to create a new email since I did not have a gmail account. If I do not want a gmail account (to keep) should I just remove the google apps zip folder I put on the Touchpad?

I was able to install the amazon app store. So that is the one I will use to get apps.

dealhunter85 12-04-2011 05:53 PM

I found this: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/about
it should help me understand the os

brbubba 12-05-2011 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by born2blove (Post 45576036)
Helo all

I need some help
After I update webos my HP Touchpad wont show the option dual boot to boot in Andoid an more.
Please show me how to fix it.

thank you

This has been covered in this thread. Updating WebOS will break one of the components of the Android install. It's not a big deal though, you just have to run through the install process again.

blackbeasst 12-05-2011 07:03 AM

hey guys quick question. i have my TP sold but the person buying it wants android on it. if i do the webos doctor will i be able to install android without going through the rigmarole of setting up the TP in webos?

LiquidRetro 12-05-2011 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbeasst (Post 45600614)
hey guys quick question. i have my TP sold but the person buying it wants android on it. if i do the webos doctor will i be able to install android without going through the rigmarole of setting up the TP in webos?

I think so because you have to put files on the Touchpad from WebOS (No removable flash memory). Honestly I would just web doctor it and let the person you sold it to do as they wish.

brbubba 12-05-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidRetro (Post 45601354)
I think so because you have to put files on the Touchpad from WebOS (No removable flash memory). Honestly I would just web doctor it and let the person you sold it to do as they wish.

I agree! You're not selling a service here, just a device in stock condition. Just restore the thing to stock and send it on out. Let the buyer do with it as he/she likes. If they aren't technically savvy enough to deal with Android it's better that they don't have it anyway since it's still in Alpha.

dealhunter85 12-05-2011 08:44 AM

The more I play with Android the more I am figuring it out. Not really that difficult after a while. In the beginning though it was a little confusing. I found that the back and home icon are extremely popular.

There are a ton of settings though! Are there any recommended settings that I should turn on/off or change?

Also, in webOS you swipe a card up to close it. In Android, you just hit the home button or back button and it goes away, does that close the app? If so, that is pretty simple. But I guess you can’t have two windows open like in webOS?

BillFrugge 12-05-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealhunter85 (Post 45604240)
, in webOS you swipe a card up to close it. In Android, you just hit the home button or back button and it goes away, does that close the app? If so, that is pretty simple. But I guess you can’t have two windows open like in webOS?

I'm pretty sure that it remains running. I was looking at an Android phone, and they had open a window from within 'settings' that showed installed apps, and which ones were currently running. Selecting an app presented more information (such as dependencies) and the ability to stop the app.

Currently in WebOS, else I'd be looking for it.

brbubba 12-06-2011 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillFrugge (Post 45626754)
I'm pretty sure that it remains running. I was looking at an Android phone, and they had open a window from within 'settings' that showed installed apps, and which ones were currently running. Selecting an app presented more information (such as dependencies) and the ability to stop the app.

Currently in WebOS, else I'd be looking for it.

It depends on the app. Some apps will continue to run, some will even run in the background to fetch data. This is definitely one of the downsides to android, I can't stand that the facebook app has to run in the background once in a while. There are various apps to kill these background running apps.

runIrish24 12-06-2011 10:35 AM

Is anybody else having wifi problems. Mine was working perfectly but as of recent I cannot connect to wifi. When I go to settings and click on wireless settings, it freezes up slightly and a lot of times it asks me to force quit.

brbubba 12-06-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runIrish24 (Post 45650648)
Is anybody else having wifi problems. Mine was working perfectly but as of recent I cannot connect to wifi. When I go to settings and click on wireless settings, it freezes up slightly and a lot of times it asks me to force quit.

This is a common bug. Happens on mine for alpha 3 too. You just have to be patient with it. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next update.

runIrish24 12-06-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brbubba (Post 45653674)
This is a common bug. Happens on mine for alpha 3 too. You just have to be patient with it. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next update.

thanks. I guess no android for me for a while as its not really useful wo internet :(

brbubba 12-06-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runIrish24 (Post 45654868)
thanks. I guess no android for me for a while as its not really useful wo internet :(

It usually only happens to me if the device goes into a deep sleep, i.e., needs a recharge. It used to happen everytime it went to sleep!

You have to do the following to get it to work properly:

Turn on WiFi...
Click hold your own network and choose forget network...
Turn off WiFi...
Turn on WiFi...
Reselect and re-login to your network...
Should work now...

dealhunter85 12-06-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brbubba (Post 45653674)

It's odd because I have not had this issue until last night. I did a reboot and it started working again.

As a side note IceCream Sandwich is getting closer.

And there are some $0.10 apps up for sale. The list will change daily, for 10 days.

I bought Asphalt 6, but it does not work. Hopefully it will when CM9 is released.

https://market.android.com/detail...ure=banner

kennyl 12-06-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brbubba (Post 45655564)
It usually only happens to me if the device goes into a deep sleep, i.e., needs a recharge. It used to happen everytime it went to sleep!

You have to do the following to get it to work properly:

Turn on WiFi...
Click hold your own network and choose forget network...
Turn off WiFi...
Turn on WiFi...
Reselect and re-login to your network...
Should work now...

Try Settings/Wireless & network settings. Tap Wi-Fi settings, then tap the menu button.
Tap Advanced, then select Wi-Ffi sleep policy. Select Never.

born2blove 12-06-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brbubba (Post 45598368)
This has been covered in this thread. Updating WebOS will break one of the components of the Android install. It's not a big deal though, you just have to run through the install process again.

I go back to install process, but just run only 1 file to repaired Android boot ( Moboot.zip).

Thanks

born2blove 12-06-2011 10:00 PM

Now I have an other problem with headphone.
on webos when I plug in headphone the speaker on HP Touchpad auto mute.
on the Android both headphone and speaker work at the same time.
please give me som advice how to fic this problem.

thanks

brbubba 12-06-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyl (Post 45666298)
Try Settings/Wireless & network settings. Tap Wi-Fi settings, then tap the menu button.
Tap Advanced, then select Wi-Ffi sleep policy. Select Never.

Tried this and it never worked for me. :(

Peeptastic 12-08-2011 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by born2blove (Post 45674942)
Now I have an other problem with headphone.
on webos when I plug in headphone the speaker on HP Touchpad auto mute.
on the Android both headphone and speaker work at the same time.
please give me som advice how to fic this problem.

thanks

Have you upgraded to the latest Alpha? I believe that issue was addressed in Alpha2.

greenpatches 12-09-2011 06:42 AM

Has anyone had any luck with a good media player?

I tried MX video player- wasn't working when trying to play movies directly from the touchpad.

I am currently using Mobo video- works but seems a little "blocky" when playing a 800mb avi file.

Any recommendations? non smart a$$ ones:)

brbubba 12-09-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenpatches (Post 45775346)
Has anyone had any luck with a good media player?

I tried MX video player- wasn't working when trying to play movies directly from the touchpad.

I am currently using Mobo video- works but seems a little "blocky" when playing a 800mb avi file.

Any recommendations? non smart a$$ ones:)

Rock Player Lite might be worth a shot. I use it to play back files over a mounted SMB/CIFS share.

STEVESKI 12-09-2011 11:38 AM

I'm having issues installing CM7. I followed the directions posted in the wiki and I keep getting the error "unable to find device" when running the novacom command. I've run WebOS Quick Install on my machine to make sure Novacom is installed and it says that the driver is installed correctly. I'm on Windows 7 64 bit. Any ideas anyone?

Peeptastic 12-09-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STEVESKI (Post 45788544)
I'm having issues installing CM7. I followed the directions posted in the wiki and I keep getting the error "unable to find device" when running the novacom command. I've run WebOS Quick Install on my machine to make sure Novacom is installed and it says that the driver is installed correctly. I'm on Windows 7 64 bit. Any ideas anyone?

I hope someone can help us, because I am having trouble with the Novacom driver as well. My computer is refusing to recognize the touchpad, because of that I can't access files, so I can't install Android. Ugh!

vivahate 12-09-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

did you go into developer mode?

greenpatches 12-09-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brbubba (Post 45784976)
Rock Player Lite might be worth a shot. I use it to play back files over a mounted SMB/CIFS share.

Thank you- Works perfect :bounce:

Aitrus 12-10-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

I had the same problem. I solved the problem by downloading different Novacom drivers and installing them.

Try grabbing yours from here. http://opensource.palm.com/packages.html at the bottom of the page select your appropriate drivers. Install them with your TP disconnected. Then connect TP in developer mode once finished and see if you can run the commands.

Dealmasterx 12-10-2011 03:30 PM

I am trying to figure out the best way to put movies/tv shows on the touchpad. If I purchase them on itunes, can I then download them to my touchpad? or how to put my dvd's on the touchpad. Any suggestions would help. This will help keep my 4 year old entertained while on the road.

runIrish24 12-10-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaNola (Post 45828224)
I am trying to figure out the best way to put movies/tv shows on the touchpad. If I purchase them on itunes, can I then download them to my touchpad? or how to put my dvd's on the touchpad. Any suggestions would help. This will help keep my 4 year old entertained while on the road.

google handbrake for converting dvd's. for itunes files, just drag and drop them.

soxfan4525 12-11-2011 12:27 PM

Has anyone experienced any serious battery issues when over clocking to 1.5ghz (or higher)?

atc121212 12-11-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soxfan4525 (Post 45851980)
Has anyone experienced any serious battery issues when over clocking to 1.5ghz (or higher)?

1.5G?you are so cracy,I just oc to 1.3G and had some problem。。It shutdown sometimes

coolpizza 12-14-2011 10:37 AM

UPDATE 12/14: MIUI Android ROM Arrived for the HP TouchPad [blogspot.com]

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-o_fE5MjtNM.../s640/miui.png

RockySosua 12-14-2011 05:41 PM

Love of apps?

You Android fans must love having lots of apps to endure all the inconveniences of Android as compared to webOS. I do understand that some of you may have Android phones, thus the desire for the Android tablet, and I aso recognize that some individuals need a certain app that isn't it available from HP, but the sacrifice is still too great IMO.
The Android interface sux big time and there are way too many inconveniences, not to mention all the glitches y'all have been putting up with in the Alpha phase of this project.
I very much admire those who designed the system to be installed on the TP, as well as those who are so willing to take chances and experiment with their machines, but don't you come to a point where you get tired of the clunky detourish way things work on Android?
I can understand if you had never had webOS to compare it to, but you all do, so I'm mystified by the large quantity of users who so desperately want Android on their TP's and even go as far as acting like webOS sux and that God himself invented Android.
Is there something I am missing?
I have an Android tablet running Honeycomb, arguably a much superior version than the CM7/Froyo OS, and it is such a disappointment as compared to webOS.
If I didn't like the tablet itself, I would have longed tossed it away because of the Android system.
I am fully aware of most if not all webOS' shortcomings, but they pale in comparison to the Android failures. The process management is interesting, much like iOS, but it is still limiting, like when one wants to load up a stream while doing something else, which simply can't be done with Android.
What is it that makes you all go to the trouble of installing this system? What is the great attraction? Have I already stated it? For the apps? Is that it? Nothing more?
Please enlighten me.

mrbobhcrhs 12-14-2011 05:44 PM

FYI alpha 3.5 is up.

hooha23 12-14-2011 07:53 PM

3.5 woot!

hooha23 12-14-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockySosua (Post 45998528)
You Android fans must love having lots of apps to endure all the inconveniences of Android as compared to webOS. I do understand that some of you may have Android phones, thus the desire for the Android tablet, and I aso recognize that some individuals need a certain app that isn't it available from HP, but the sacrifice is still too great IMO.
The Android interface sux big time and there are way too many inconveniences, not to mention all the glitches y'all have been putting up with in the Alpha phase of this project.
I very much admire those who designed the system to be installed on the TP, as well as those who are so willing to take chances and experiment with their machines, but don't you come to a point where you get tired of the clunky detourish way things work on Android?
I can understand if you had never had webOS to compare it to, but you all do, so I'm mystified by the large quantity of users who so desperately want Android on their TP's and even go as far as acting like webOS sux and that God himself invented Android.
I have an Android tablet running Honeycomb, arguably a much superior version than the CM7/Froyo OS, and it is such a disappointment as compared to webOS.
If I didn't like the tablet itself, I would have longed tossed it away because of the Android system.
I am fully aware of most if not all webOS' shortcomings, but they pale in comparison to the Android failures. The process management is interesting, much like iOS, but it is still limiting, like when one wants to load up a stream while doing something else, which simply can't be done with Android.
What is it that makes you all go to the trouble of installing this system? What is the great attraction? Have I already stated it? For the apps? Is that it? Nothing more?
Please enlighten me.

Its easy and fun. Because we can. Nope. Partially, yes. Nope. err, nope?

No but seriously, I would say it is 1/3 lolz, 1/3 apps (including the ability to ARRGGG these apps, and 1/3 to support open source communities, the "hack-factor", and anything made by google.

I asked a similar question earlier in this thread (asking which apps did you really mod your touchpad for), but I failed to compare Honeycomb to CM7...ill let you stew on that...

Reference Legend:
ARRGGG = pirate

RockySosua 12-14-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooha23 (Post 46002984)

No but seriously, I would say it is 1/3 lolz, 1/3 apps (including the ability to ARRGGG these apps, and 1/3 to support open source communities, the "hack-factor", and anything made by google.

I asked a similar question earlier in this thread (asking which apps did you really mod your touchpad for), but I failed to compare Honeycomb to CM7...ill let you stew on that...

Reference Legend:
ARRGGG = pirate

Great reply.
It's the first time that it all starts to make sense to me. Thanks.

brbubba 12-15-2011 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooha23 (Post 46002984)

Reference Legend:
ARRGGG = pirate

I would vote 1/3 shits and giggles (aka lolz), 1/3 apps and 1/3 Android. Open source community is great but I won't install something that doesn't work for me just due to that. And yes, I actually like the OS! I like that it feels like a desktop, that I can customize it with widgets and the fact that my apps launch faster than WebOS is just icing on the cake. Also knowing that I will be getting future upgrades, support, etc helps too. Although good old Meg just announced that WebOS is going open source, it will have a big hill to climb before it gets to the level of Cyanogen.

LiquidRetro 12-15-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockySosua (Post 45998528)
Please enlighten me.

Why does it "sux"? What are these interface issues you speak of? You can't come in make comments like this without specific details about what you don't like.

I have an android phone that I loaded rom's on, rooted, put themes on etc. I understood it, knew that apps that did the job of what I wanted. All this being said I know android is not perfect. No operating system for any platform is. It's about getting the job done that you want to do.

Honeycomb is not really a superior version of Android. It is such a "clusterfu0k" that a Google never released the source code to it and said they wont. It was very rushed and just was not polished. CM7 was a phone OS that has been massaged, things added in, taken out, and then at the last minute adapted to a tablet. While it work the new Android 4.0 will be much better as it brings together the fork of Phone and tablet into one. It also brings lots of new features and optimizations.

I bought the Touchpad because of the price. I think we all did. I also did it with the open mind that I would try WebOS but hoped Android would be ported in quick order. WebOS is pretty, being pretty came at a hit of performance. You have to do a decent amount to it out of the box to get it to work decently well, and even then it kind of lagged and in the end it just did not feel polished. The web browser is crap, while it does have flash, it has no tabs, and had issues logging into sites. It also had no cloud sync capabilities for bookmarks and was incompatible with some sites. I did not care for the keyboard, I found the keys not where I wanted and it did not have any prediction engine. a standard keyboard layout on a tablet this large doesnt work. I really like the thumb keyboard layout for tablets this size. My biggest complaint was the app situation. WebOS is a platform that has very little traction and looking forward I don't see that making major gains quickly. HP agrees that is why they have open sourced the project. This means it lacks developers. The developers that are there and charging seem to be trying to make up for the lack of people downloading their apps by charging quite a bit more. I am just not willing to spend $5 on an app that has ok reviews and might now do what I want. The quality of the apps seem to be kind of unfinished and poor as well. They dont seem to have the deep OS hooks and pulls of iOS or Android they feel more like skinned web apps or links to web apps. I mean there is not even a decent Twitter app. The Facebook app was the best on the device and I try and stay away from that service. I would be interested to hear what you do on your touchpad that works so well.

I loaded android on my TP and found the first alpha to have some bugs, but ever since the second alpha I find the experience better than WebOS. The customize-able keyboard is big for me. The alternate layouts just work so much better for me. I have a Remote Desktop app that works well with my servers. The web browser is very functional. Tabs work, logins work, flash still works. There are great twitter apps, that do real time streaming for free. I like that I can customize the look. If you want it to look like ICS android, you can do that, if you want it to look like IOS that is possible too. Change the behavior of the launcher, play video files without converting them. I also like my ReadItLater app and renting books from the library with my Kindle app on android. Google Currents is pretty neat too. The list goes on.

Yes there are bugs in android, especially this version. It is an alpha after all built by volunteers not paid professionals at HP. Give it a few months and the build of android ICS will be very good for the Touchpad.

In the end this is all about choices. If you like WebOS and it does what you want then run it. If you prefer Android and can follow directions to load it up then that option is there for you. For me android is better, but I know that it's not for everyone. I am just glad there is the option if I want it. If you try android and don't like it then you can use the webdoctor and go back to webOS just fine. I think its a Win Win for everyone. $150 tablet is just awesome.

What is everyone's opinion of 3.5? My video playback issues are not 100% fixed but seem to be a bit better. Wifi seems to be slightly worse than 3 and I still have audio issues but nothing major.

Donkiluminate 12-15-2011 08:39 AM

I have an Android phone and I must say I'm not a huge fan of Android and for what I want out of a tablet the TP fits my needs almost perfectly.

However, I've been thinking about loading Android because I like widgets and I also want to get some emulators(more than the snes one) to play during lunch.

hooha23 12-15-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brbubba (Post 46013530)
I would vote 1/3 shits and giggles (aka lolz), 1/3 apps and 1/3 Android. Open source community is great but I won't install something that doesn't work for me just due to that. And yes, I actually like the OS! I like that it feels like a desktop, that I can customize it with widgets and the fact that my apps launch faster than WebOS is just icing on the cake. Also knowing that I will be getting future upgrades, support, etc helps too. Although good old Meg just announced that WebOS is going open source, it will have a big hill to climb before it gets to the level of Cyanogen.

GET OUT OF MY BRAIN!!!! :omg:

RockySosua 12-15-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidRetro (Post 46020718)
You can't come in make comments like this without specific details about what you don't like. .

Sure I can.... in fact, I just did.. :bounce: :bounce:

Just kidding, just kidding.
I'd like to first say that I appreciate all the info about what is likeable with Android, plus the explanations between CM7 and Honeycomb. Thanks.
The thing is that I'm wanting to like Android. This is not a case of an iPad fanatic trashing the crap out of another tablet. This is a case of me also having an Android tablet, liking the unit very much and feeling very disappointed with how clunky the OS is.
Most (not yourself included) folks here know exactly what I am talking about, as evidenced by several replies to my post without any "what sux about Android" comments.
I'm not sure that I could do a good job of explaining it without video examples.
The webOS interface is pleasant looking, smooth and flowing. ergonomic, interesting, natural, intuitive, like driving a new automatic Lexus.
Android (Honeycomb) is clunky, spread out all over the place in a disorganized fashion, constantly combating processes that keep accumulating in order to save power, non intuitive, certainly not a handsome interface, kinda like getting into a 31 gear Mack Truck.

That being said, I am talking about Honeycomb whereas you guys are using a different Android version, that I supposed to be inferior, but as you pointed out, isn't necessarily the case, so it is entirely possible that CM7 is not as bad as Honeycomb.
I could hardly dispute the point with you when I have never even seen what the CM7 interface looks like, so I defer to your greater knowledge.

I am still trying hard to like this Android tablet. So far, I love the unit itself, not that it is without imperfections, but I took it traveling with me last week and the two cams, full size SD card slot and full size USB came in really handy, and if we'd had a TV with an HDMI input, we would have used that too.
So I'm left with a desire to like the OS that just seems to be more and more disappointing as time goes on. I do understand your point of view and wish I could appreciate it like you do.
As it stands right now, I perceive webOS to be the Cadillac and Android to be a bare naked pickup truck.

PS: I just watched this youtube clip and it explains several things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcjHug_jT2w

1st) Honeycomb does not have that kool floating taskbar to the right, but the rest is pretty much the same, with a plethora of icons all over the "desktop" in a disorganized fashion, as opposed to the clean looking webOS desktop which is left bare for minimized pages, with properly classified launcher pages for all the icons, plus it has an easy smooth way of disposing of any process by swiping it away.
BTW: the Honeycomb email app won't show pictures if they are included in an email and many things that can pinch and zoom with webOS, don't work with HC, like youtube clips for example. When I do have a page that I can pinch and zoom on Android, it is nowhere near as fluid as with webOS, but that could be the machine's fault (Toshiba Thrive) or perhaps HC isn't as fluid as CM7.
Lastly, the webOS keyboard rocks. The HC keyboard is highly inconvenient. Even the iPad lovers admitted that the HP's keyboard was superior.

brbubba 12-15-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooha23 (Post 46002714)
3.5 woot!

Did you do the factory wipe before upgrading???? That seems excessive.

EDIT: UGH, just hosed my install. Doing an uninstall and reinstall.

RockySosua 12-15-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbobhcrhs (Post 45998608)
FYI alpha 3.5 is up.

What is the difference between these two?
Is one new effort from another source than Cyanogen?

PS: Is the CM7 installation exactly the same with 3.5 or are there new instructions to follow?

mrbobhcrhs 12-15-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockySosua (Post 46040382)
What is the difference between these two?
Is one new effort from another source than Cyanogen?

PS: Is the CM7 installation exactly the same with 3.5 or are there new instructions to follow?

I guess you can say its a new effort kind of like android source vs cm7. Here [theunlockr.com] talks about asop vs miui. The only thing is I doubt they are working on bug fixing and more just using drivers taken from the cm developers.

BillFrugge 12-15-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brbubba (Post 46037056)
Did you do the factory wipe before upgrading???? That seems excessive.

EDIT: UGH, just hosed my install. Doing an uninstall and reinstall.

Agreed. That does seem very excessive. The very word 'wipe' makes me very nervous.

I'm assuming this leaves the WebOS side alone, but can anyone assure me that reinstalling my Android apps will be easy? Do I need to write them down somewhere so that I can find them? Or will market show me a list of already purchased software?

Are there any consequences to upgrading without a wipe?

BostonGirl 12-15-2011 05:32 PM

I am still on the second Alpha build. Too lazy to update it, but been getting so many force closes lately, and just general issues. :(

Will try updating in a few days.

RockySosua 12-15-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillFrugge (Post 46040816)
Agreed. That does seem very excessive. The very word 'wipe' makes me very nervous.

I'm assuming this leaves the WebOS side alone, but can anyone assure me that reinstalling my Android apps will be easy? Do I need to write them down somewhere so that I can find them? Or will market show me a list of already purchased software?

Are there any consequences to upgrading without a wipe?

I know nothing about wiping, but if you are able to take screenshots of all your apps, it may come in handy later. (email them to yourself)

Peeptastic 12-15-2011 05:45 PM

I'm skipping 3.5 and will wait for the next update. After looking at the fixes, it's not something that I need right now.

Can't you do a back up before you update? I backed up my Android side before I upgraded last time, but then decided not to use it, because I didn't know what I'd backed up (using the built in option from moboot).

BillFrugge, if you got your apps from the Market, you can find them by going to My Apps, and download the ones you want. Same goes with Amazon Marketplace.

brbubba 12-15-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trksh22 (Post 46041526)
I'm skipping 3.5 and will wait for the next update. After looking at the fixes, it's not something that I need right now.

Can't you do a back up before you update? I backed up my Android side before I upgraded last time, but then decided not to use it, because I didn't know what I'd backed up (using the built in option from moboot).

BillFrugge, if you got your apps from the Market, you can find them by going to My Apps, and download the ones you want. Same goes with Amazon Marketplace.

It will only show the Apps you purchased. Apps that were free will not show up!!! Very annoying!!!!

I have titanium backup, but considering I had to wipe the entire partition and start from scratch it didn't do me a lot of good. It appears there a new version of titanium backup that backs up to the cloud, I might have to check it out.

EDIT: Weird guess my partition wasn't totally wiped since all my wallpapers are still there. I'll have to investigate.

On another note, anyone check out Google Currents? Seems kind of slick to me. Definitely would be nice if you are on a trip somewhere.

tannersarms 12-15-2011 08:17 PM

I did not have a very enjoyable day with my touchpads today.

First of all I updated my TP from 2.1 to 3.5 CM7. I have now got the dreaded SD card error and have not been able to find a good resource on how to correct what went wrong - I think I know what the problem was - namely I went about it as if I was doing a brand new install, rather than updating an install, though in my defense I had used Webos Dr to do a new install of 3.4, but evidently it doesn't remove and reformat everything - all of my older Android Downloaded Apps were waiting for me when I put the new version on. Aditionally I now can't mount WeboS via USB, and I only get the option of formatting the drive. Anyone know how I can totally erase a touchpad, and get webos on there as if it were brand new?

My bigger concerns were setting up another two for friends. Both totally virgin TPs, updated both to 3.04 using Webos Dr, put UberKernel, Govnah and Unthrottle on both then went about putting CM7 3.5 on them. one works fine but the other is extremely unstable. I can't think how I'm experiencing such different results from putting the same three zip files on each then running ACME. one of them will load CM7 from Moboot fine, but the other variously gets to the green loading screen then loops back, or will actually load CM7 then after a while randomly reboots. I also went ahead and put the gapps on the problematic TP and lost the Google Widget on the Homepage ("Problem Loading Widget" message). I removed it but have no idea how to get it back. As someone more used to ioS I don't even know how to go about getting that back.

Unrelated, I also lost the ability to generate an uppercase o on my computer today, though I suspect that is somehow cat related - I can hold shift down and type every other letter but o just beeps after my second press of it.

brbubba 12-16-2011 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tannersarms (Post 46045570)
My bigger concerns were setting up another two for friends. Both totally virgin TPs, updated both to 3.04 using Webos Dr, put UberKernel, Govnah and Unthrottle on both then went about putting CM7 3.5 on them. one works fine but the other is extremely unstable. I can't think how I'm experiencing such different results from putting the same three zip files on each then running ACME. one of them will load CM7 from Moboot fine, but the other variously gets to the green loading screen then loops back, or will actually load CM7 then after a while randomly reboots. I also went ahead and put the gapps on the problematic TP and lost the Google Widget on the Homepage ("Problem Loading Widget" message). I removed it but have no idea how to get it back. As someone more used to ioS I don't even know how to go about getting that back.

That has now happened to me twice while doing updates to CM7. You just have to run the ACMEUninstaller and then run the ACMEInstaller again. So basically it's a fresh install. You can also try wiping all the caches but that usually doesn't help.

I would still not install CM7 on anyone's TP that isn't capable of doing it themselves. There are still too many quirks that need to be worked out, e.g., my WiFi won't easily reconnect after a deep sleep. And the fact that the upgrade process has killed my system 2 out of 3 times is another negative.

catnapped 12-16-2011 07:29 AM

Is there any way to connect the TP (CM7) to a PC via Bluetooth to transfer files? Tried it, and it pairs, but doesn't connect, and W7 complains it can't find a driver.

screenname 12-16-2011 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnap1972 (Post 46058404)
Is there any way to connect the TP (CM7) to a PC via Bluetooth to transfer files? Tried it, and it pairs, but doesn't connect, and W7 complains it can't find a driver.

Why bluetooth? I am using "wifi file explorer" to transfer files.

tannersarms 12-16-2011 07:46 AM

So can anyone tell me how to install widgets on Android? Are they in the market?

Edit: Specifically the google widget that is on the default homepage of CM7, but disappears after installing the gapps.zip. I realise that the widget just did the same as the google search app, but would like it back.

Edit 2 Never mind, figured it out from this page: http://www.brighthub.com/mobile/g...48646.aspx

brbubba 12-16-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tannersarms (Post 46058984)
So can anyone tell me how to install widgets on Android? Are they in the market?

Edit: Specifically the google widget that is on the default homepage of CM7, but disappears after installing the gapps.zip. I realise that the widget just did the same as the google search app, but would like it back.

Edit 2 Never mind, figured it out from this page: http://www.brighthub.com/mobile/g...48646.aspx

Beautiful Widgets is worth the money if you are into widgets.

tannersarms 12-16-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brbubba (Post 46061344)
Beautiful Widgets is worth the money if you are into widgets.

Nah, I just liked the google one, it seems like a similar thing to the "just type" option in Webos

jbloggs 12-16-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockySosua (Post 46031072)
Sure I can.... in fact, I just did.. :bounce: :bounce:

Just kidding, just kidding.
I'd like to first say that I appreciate all the info about what is likeable with Android, plus the explanations between CM7 and Honeycomb. Thanks.
The thing is that I'm wanting to like Android. This is not a case of an iPad fanatic trashing the crap out of another tablet. This is a case of me also having an Android tablet, liking the unit very much and feeling very disappointed with how clunky the OS is.
Most (not yourself included) folks here know exactly what I am talking about, as evidenced by several replies to my post without any "what sux about Android" comments.
I'm not sure that I could do a good job of explaining it without video examples.
The webOS interface is pleasant looking, smooth and flowing. ergonomic, interesting, natural, intuitive, like driving a new automatic Lexus.
Android (Honeycomb) is clunky, spread out all over the place in a disorganized fashion, constantly combating processes that keep accumulating in order to save power, non intuitive, certainly not a handsome interface, kinda like getting into a 31 gear Mack Truck.

That being said, I am talking about Honeycomb whereas you guys are using a different Android version, that I supposed to be inferior, but as you pointed out, isn't necessarily the case, so it is entirely possible that CM7 is not as bad as Honeycomb.
I could hardly dispute the point with you when I have never even seen what the CM7 interface looks like, so I defer to your greater knowledge.

I am still trying hard to like this Android tablet. So far, I love the unit itself, not that it is without imperfections, but I took it traveling with me last week and the two cams, full size SD card slot and full size USB came in really handy, and if we'd had a TV with an HDMI input, we would have used that too.
So I'm left with a desire to like the OS that just seems to be more and more disappointing as time goes on. I do understand your point of view and wish I could appreciate it like you do.
As it stands right now, I perceive webOS to be the Cadillac and Android to be a bare naked pickup truck.

PS: I just watched this youtube clip and it explains several things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcjHug_jT2w

1st) Honeycomb does not have that kool floating taskbar to the right, but the rest is pretty much the same, with a plethora of icons all over the "desktop" in a disorganized fashion, as opposed to the clean looking webOS desktop which is left bare for minimized pages, with properly classified launcher pages for all the icons, plus it has an easy smooth way of disposing of any process by swiping it away.
BTW: the Honeycomb email app won't show pictures if they are included in an email and many things that can pinch and zoom with webOS, don't work with HC, like youtube clips for example. When I do have a page that I can pinch and zoom on Android, it is nowhere near as fluid as with webOS, but that could be the machine's fault (Toshiba Thrive) or perhaps HC isn't as fluid as CM7.
Lastly, the webOS keyboard rocks. The HC keyboard is highly inconvenient. Even the iPad lovers admitted that the HP's keyboard was superior.

I haven't installed CM7 yet and I'm planning to wait til there is a version of ICS out for the TP before I do as I don't want to be disappointed with the Android experience by using a mobile phone OS on a tablet.

The WebOS Keyboard the my #1 favorite feature of the OS, and frankly I'm surprised the other two billion dollar companies (Apple & Google) were/are not able to figure this out.

tannersarms 12-16-2011 01:13 PM

So, I still have a problem with my TP I tried updating the version of CM7 incorrectly, leading to the SD card problem. I removed CM7 using ACME Uninstaller, used WebOS Doctor to put a fresh version of WebOS on, but still get an error message from WIndows when I try to go in to USB mode. Windows won't mount it and wants to reformat the drive. If I do that, will WebOS still recognise the Touchpad once I go to try and install WebOS again?

Edit: After a few wipes from within Device Options (Full Erase) and at least one WebOS doctor reset, I got Windows to mount it. The only thing I could find about this problem was that letting Windows format it would have been disastrous and meant sending back to HP.

Peeptastic 12-16-2011 03:40 PM

Do you have the Novacom drivers installed? I had them installed, but for some reason I had to uninstall and delete any folders for them from my computer. The only drivers that worked were the ones directly from the Palm sdk(?).

Whoops, just saw your edit. Glad it worked out for you. :)

APhamX 12-16-2011 09:38 PM

Can I overclock my touchpad with android os?? I only see a way to overclock it with webos w/ preware.

LiquidRetro 12-16-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APhamX (Post 46087998)
Can I overclock my touchpad with android os?? I only see a way to overclock it with webos w/ preware.

Sure can, although you may have mixed results with this alpha build.

Both popular apps to do this.
https://market.android.com/detail...rch_result
https://market.android.com/detail...rch_result

wreckonized 12-18-2011 02:49 PM

so is the andriod port still buggy? since i use the TP alot i dont want to run into problems

sup3rson1c 12-18-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wreckonized (Post 46133062)
so is the andriod port still buggy? since i use the TP alot i dont want to run into problems

It's still Alpha, so yes.

runIrish24 12-18-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

There are very few bugs. Occasionally I have trouble connecting to wifi but other than that not a single problem. Definitely worth doing considering you can always still boot into WebOS.

hooha23 12-18-2011 06:10 PM

everything seems to be going good on my 3.5 port, except for certain apps that force close. no matter what I try, I CANNOT get facebook to work. anyone having success with 3.5?

bird_of_prey 12-18-2011 10:02 PM

In order to get facebook to work, you must install a fake gps program of which there are plenty in the market. facebook requires a location to work. freakin' big brother at work.

LiquidRetro 12-19-2011 07:17 AM

Quote:

Yes, it is still an alpha build so it's not perfect but neither is WebOS. The beauty is Android installs as a dual boot for the TP so you can install it try it out and still have WebOS if its not for you yet.

kennyl 12-19-2011 11:17 AM

I use friendcaster for facebook. Works great.
https://market.android.com/detail...Free&hl=en

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooha23 (Post 46137510)
everything seems to be going good on my 3.5 port, except for certain apps that force close. no matter what I try, I CANNOT get facebook to work. anyone having success with 3.5?

Try it

gabe23111 12-19-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooha23 (Post 46137510)

Did you upgrade from 3.0? ...or an earlier release? Did you have to reinstall all your apps after installing 3.5?

I currently am running 3.0 and would like to upgrade to 3.5... but not if it means having to reinstall all my apps.

TIA

lakerfanalways 12-19-2011 02:26 PM

I have a Very strange problem going on maybe someone can help me out. So it says on my touchpad I have 19 gig remaining(When I install any app I assume it goes into internal memory(but I always check and make sure the big storage games go on the sd card), it shows under settings that its set to automatic) for some reason(And I have had to restore my touchpad SIX times because of this) sometimes when I install something the touchpad after wards will freeze up, then it will turn off completely and I will have to reboot it using power + home button, after it boots up(And Ive already cleaned the cache, etc), the touchpad will boot up but I will see many of the icons on the home screen look like they are no longer there, I will go into settings and it will show the sd card is not there, says "No information available" and then the touchpad will turn off..it will say its not mounted..so what I want to know is, how can I prevent this from happening? Install everything to internal memory, because seriously this is such a pain in the rear, never had to do a backup six times in a matter of three days before so I am doing something wrong. Thanks!

JuJu83 12-19-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabe23111 (Post 46166684)
Did you upgrade from 3.0? ...or an earlier release? Did you have to reinstall all your apps after installing 3.5?

I currently am running 3.0 and would like to upgrade to 3.5... but not if it means having to reinstall all my apps.

TIA

No, all the apps will not be affected by the upgrade. I have done mine this week. Smooth and no issue.

Be sure to read the instruction and/or watch the video before doing it...

http://liliputing.com/2011/12/cya...ll-it.html

lakerfanalways 12-19-2011 05:35 PM

if anyone knows what I should do about my above issue would really appreciate any help..dont know if I should install everything to internal memory from now on(But what happens when I run out of room then what?)

JuJu83 12-20-2011 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerfanalways (Post 46174032)
if anyone knows what I should do about my above issue would really appreciate any help..dont know if I should install everything to internal memory from now on(But what happens when I run out of room then what?)

I tried to move several apps (amazon kindle, google earth) to SD card (logical storage. You don't have a physical SD storage anyway). I ran several times of these apps and found no issue.

What app did you run with issue? If you are thinking to re-do the install, you may just need to install the Alpha 3.5 from recovery mode. It will keep all of your app and settings intact.

LiquidRetro 12-20-2011 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerfanalways (Post 46174032)

You have to give people more than a few hours to respond. This board slows down when people go home, especially this time of year.

The Touchpad has no SD card but in android the CyanogenMod team had to kind of trick android into thinking there was one. So moving apps to the SD card doesnt do anything. When you reset this were you doing webdoctor? Does WebOS run OK? Can you put lots of files on it under WebOS? I almost wonder if you have a bad unit with bad piece of flash storage.

ripplinghurst 12-26-2011 02:14 PM

I just installed Android Cyanogen 3.5 on my refurb Touchpad. No issues so far. Installed Market, and tested Tasker App.

It works! It wakes up the touchpad when connected to power and turns it off when disconnected.

Very cool.

ripplinghurst 12-26-2011 02:26 PM

Well, it doesn't seem to work on the Touchstone...does the Android charge on that at all? Got do some search. If it does, tasker does not wake it from the touchstone. Edit: Nah, it DOES WORK. I had to remove it from the aftermarket case though, the other one with the Folio case works.

regguiy 12-29-2011 07:50 AM

I'm having a problem using the messaging when I go to send one it appears to crash?
must I have a phone service for this or would be connected tot he internet via wifi be enough?

LiquidRetro 12-29-2011 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regguiy (Post 46441602)
I'm having a problem using the messaging when I go to send one it appears to crash?
must I have a phone service for this or would be connected tot he internet via wifi be enough?

Text messages in the default app go through the wireless carrier (AT&T, Verizon,etc) so that is why that portion is not working. If you have a google Voice account (Free) you can use the Google Voice app to send texts over the internet. They will just come from your voice number instead of your carrier number.

regguiy 12-29-2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidRetro (Post 46441704)
Text messages in the default app go through the wireless carrier (AT&T, Verizon,etc) so that is why that portion is not working. If you have a google Voice account (Free) you can use the Google Voice app to send texts over the internet. They will just come from your voice number instead of your carrier number.

How would I set this up? I do have a google voice account.

LiquidRetro 12-29-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regguiy (Post 46442466)
How would I set this up? I do have a google voice account.

Download the app. It will want to login to your google account and your setup. Its super easy. If you have and android phone and your contacts are stored in your address book in gmail or on your phone it should see the same numbers and you will be good to go. Depending on the phone you have you might be able to put the same app on your phone.

regguiy 12-29-2011 08:51 AM

I tired this on the touchpad with CyanogenMod, I cannot get the mms service to work.. I must be doing something wrong

Peeptastic 12-29-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regguiy (Post 46443532)
I tired this on the touchpad with CyanogenMod, I cannot get the mms service to work.. I must be doing something wrong

I just signed into mine and got it to work. I am using 3.0. (CM7) if that matters. I don't have a cell phone, so I usually use google voice through gmail to send texts. Glad to see it works on the tp, hope you get it working on yours.

regguiy 12-29-2011 10:43 AM

ok I go tit working now with google voice, how do I make the phone work with google voice and the internet connection, right now it keeps saying "mobile network not available" but im connected to the internet via wifi?

RockySosua 12-29-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regguiy (Post 46447038)
ok I go tit working now with google voice, how do I make the phone work with google voice and the internet connection, right now it keeps saying "mobile network not available" but im connected to the internet via wifi?

Who cares about how to make the phone work?
What we want to know is about you going tit working.....:lmao:

Peeptastic 12-29-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regguiy (Post 46447038)

I didn't read through the whole thread, but there is this one on Rootzwiki [rootzwiki.com]. I plan to try it as soon as I get time to mess around with it today. Looks like you need another app (Groove IP) for it to work. Good luck, it'll be awesome if you get it to work! :)

regguiy 12-29-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trksh22 (Post 46447570)
I didn't read through the whole thread, but there is this one on Rootzwiki [rootzwiki.com]. I plan to try it as soon as I get time to mess around with it today. Looks like you need another app (Groove IP) for it to work. Good luck, it'll be awesome if you get it to work! :)

yeah tried it but the mic does not work .. phone rings but thats it

LiquidRetro 12-29-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regguiy (Post 46443532)

FYI it works best to quote people when direct replying because it gives them a notification.

I not sure what to tell you exactly without lack of details other than it works for me. When I am home tonight I will have to test it out to make sure. I know it just goes out over the data network though.

Edit: If you are trying to make or receive calls, that won't work yet. I thought you were just trying to do text messages. That should work.

regguiy 12-29-2011 11:53 AM

text message works now, thank you. I see the groove ip for making calls does not work yet

LiquidRetro 12-29-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regguiy (Post 46449392)
text message works now, thank you. I see the groove ip for making calls does not work yet

Ya the mic and camera are not yet working well in Android. Remember this is an alpha build. Hopefully we will get an ICS build in the next few months.

regguiy 12-31-2011 05:49 PM

wifi loses connection

Well I have touch pad with Cyanogen 7 on it and noticed the Wifi keeps un-checking itself when I reboot.

So if i go to the: settings> wireless & networks >
under the Wi-Fi , the box un-checks itself when I reboot the touch pad?

any ideas on this?

LiquidRetro 01-01-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regguiy (Post 46514004)
Well I have touch pad with Cyanogen 7 on it and noticed the Wifi keeps un-checking itself when I reboot.

any ideas on this?

Which version of the alpha are you running? Some of the more recent updates (alpha 3.5 is current) have made significant improvements in wifi issues.

regguiy 01-01-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidRetro (Post 46523098)
Which version of the alpha are you running? Some of the more recent updates (alpha 3.5 is current) have made significant improvements in wifi issues.

UPDATE: problem fixed:

Install Android Assistant, open it, tap the tools button at the top, then tap the airplane on the bottom until it turns gray.

mrredskin 01-01-2012 02:24 PM

i just installed CM7 Alpha 3.5 but I think I forgot to include two of the three zips (moboot and cwm tenderloin 1012). CM7 loads up fine, but when trying to reboot into WebOS, it seems to just turn itself off. when powering back on, it goes back to CM7. any advice?

RedDevils 01-01-2012 05:03 PM

is CM7 alpha 3.5 the andriod port that everyone uses? i am kind of confused as to what is going on.
i have 2 Touchpads and i want to try this out, any help would be great

JuJu83 01-01-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevils (Post 46533600)
is CM7 alpha 3.5 the andriod port that everyone uses? i am kind of confused as to what is going on.
i have 2 Touchpads and i want to try this out, any help would be great

Yes, alpha 3.5 is the latest version. I have helped my friends and family to install their TPs. So far the major fallout we have seen are unstable wifi & cam is not working. Other than that, it is working fine. It's still worth to port Android as it has much more apps to choose from.

Have you read thru the internet forum for the installation instruction. Highly recommend to watch their video before you start it.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP...xF15HO119S

Step-by-step instruction:
http://liliputing.com/2011/10/how...nmod7.html

CM7 install files (skip alpha 3 file here)
http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topi...-to-files/

(pick alpha 3.5 file here)

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/10121-...-touchpad/

wreckonized 01-02-2012 12:24 AM

a couple questions about alpha 3.5

i installed it and everything was working fine, but then the internet stopped working. it wouldnt load any pages. is that normal?

second question, i rebooted to webos but it seems to turn off instead of reboot, so i have to hold power and home button to get it back on, once again is that normal? the same seems to go for rebooting in android

one more question, this only happened once, but after the first time i rebooted to andriod, i left it alone while on the phone and noticed it rebooting itself over and over again for about 3 times. i started using it and it stopped. is that something that is common?

thanks in advance, this thread has been really helpful

calisoldier83 01-02-2012 05:20 PM

CM7 has been constantly rebooting. Has anyone been having the same issue?

JuJu83 01-02-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wreckonized (Post 46542224)

i installed it and everything was working fine, but then the internet stopped working. it wouldnt load any pages. is that normal?

second question, i rebooted to webos but it seems to turn off instead of reboot, so i have to hold power and home button to get it back on, once again is that normal? the same seems to go for rebooting in android

one more question, this only happened once, but after the first time i rebooted to andriod, i left it alone while on the phone and noticed it rebooting itself over and over again for about 3 times. i started using it and it stopped. is that something that is common?

All of the above has been happening after my installation. It's still buggy for 3.5, but a working OS.

wreckonized 01-02-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuJu83 (Post 46557298)
All of the above has been happening after my installation. It's still buggy for 3.5, but a working OS.

:hug:

you post was very helpful

erick161 01-02-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regguiy (Post 46514004)

any ideas on this?

That is COMPLETELY normal. If thats your biggest complaint, thats awesome. And this is only an alpha build. Phenomenal work CM has done.

I have to recheck the wifi button every time i reboot, but i've been doing it for months, since CM7 Alpha 1 came out, so im used to it. I get intermittent reboots here and there (only noticed because i go back to my TP and i have to reclick wifi on). This thing is practically flawless.

mrredskin 01-03-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 46530728)
i just installed CM7 Alpha 3.5 but I think I forgot to include two of the three zips (moboot and cwm tenderloin 1012). CM7 loads up fine, but when trying to reboot into WebOS, it seems to just turn itself off. when powering back on, it goes back to CM7. any advice?

anyone?

LiquidRetro 01-03-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wreckonized (Post 46542224)

Wifi under Alpha 3.5 is working quite well for me. I rarely have an issue. Did you set your wifi to not sleep? If you wifi does drop you can open the notifications menu and toggle it off and then on again

Ya I noticed your second issue too. It is defaulted to boot android you can manually overide this with the volume controls.

I did not have the problem with your 3rd question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by calisoldier83 (Post 46557248)
CM7 has been constantly rebooting. Has anyone been having the same issue?

I have not had this issue. It sounds like a kernel panic. Can you boot into CWM? Have you modified anything? You could try working through the procedure like you would for an upgrade (Clear cache, Dalvik, flash zip, etc) and reload things.

Another option would be to webdoctor it and startover.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 46530728)

I am fairly certain you can't get this to work without moboot. My understanding is that is the file that modifies the bootloader to allow booting multiple OS. When you reboot do you not get a screen to make an OS selection? I get one right after the HP logo for about 25 seconds. Default boot is Android. I know you can add CWM after install, however I forget the process exactly. I suggest going to look at the master thread on Rootzwiki as I know this is covered there.

JuJu83 01-03-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 46568576)
anyone?

The CM7 FAQ section (from the link I posted above) has indicated you can install each file independently. In your case since you have missed moboot and 1012 files, you should just copy them to TP and execute ACMEInstaller again via DOS command(something like "novacom boot mem....").

mrredskin 01-03-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuJu83 (Post 46569256)
The CM7 FAQ section (from the link I posted above) has indicated you can install each file independently. In your case since you have missed moboot and 1012 files, you should just copy them to TP and execute ACMEInstaller again via DOS command(something like "novacom boot mem....").

thank you. was hoping it would be that simple. i did read the FAQ but wasn't sure if i had to reinstall CM&, itself, as well. will try it out this evening.

calisoldier83 01-03-2012 06:27 PM

Market isn't connecting to the server. Is anyone else having issues?

mrbobhcrhs 01-03-2012 06:55 PM

for those of you who like's Dalingrin's work on the tp port vote for him to get a free nexus @rootwiki [rootzwiki.com]

JuJu83 01-03-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calisoldier83 (Post 46589254)

Do you check if your wifi is connected?

calisoldier83 01-03-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuJu83 (Post 46591618)
Do you check if your wifi is connected?

Yes, browser works fine.

JuJu83 01-03-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calisoldier83 (Post 46593630)
Yes, browser works fine.

Did you include the following google market file (Google apps add on) during installation?
gapps-gb-20110828-signed

If not, just go to CM7 link to download and install via Clockwork recovery mode.

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topi...-to-files/

gabe23111 01-04-2012 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbobhcrhs (Post 46590106)
for those of you who like's Dalingrin's work on the tp port vote for him to get a free nexus @rootwiki [rootzwiki.com]

Speaking of Darlingrin... looks like ICS will be here pretty soon for the Touchpad [twitter.com] :yahoo:

LiquidRetro 01-04-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calisoldier83 (Post 46589254)

I get this once and a while. Have you tried rebooting?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabe23111 (Post 46599290)
Speaking of Darlingrin... looks like ICS will be here pretty soon for the Touchpad [twitter.com] :yahoo:

Oh good news. I follow him but missed that one.

calisoldier83 01-04-2012 10:43 AM

I believe XRONified was causing a lot of issues. I did a clean install of CM7.

HY-SD 01-05-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabe23111 (Post 46599290)

you notice the "TM" after "soon", do you? that's the response after JCDusse1981 asked him alpha/beta ETA date, so you know what that means, right?

iDylan1357 01-05-2012 07:51 PM

had to run AckmeUninstaller, WiFi worked only on the first boot. no wifi, no me.

brbubba 01-06-2012 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDylan1357 (Post 46655806)
had to run AckmeUninstaller, WiFi worked only on the first boot. no wifi, no me.

Once again, it's alpha!!! Having to reconnect WiFi everytime the device reboots isn't that bad as reboots should be fairly few and far between. I think we should just put a notice in the wiki that complaints about alpha releases are not allowed.

Thanks for the info on ICS, sounds like it's almost ready for release. :woot:

RiversMerge 01-06-2012 12:54 PM

Everyone that doesn't have it already pickup the Amazon free app of the day "splashtop remote"?

MozartA 01-06-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiversMerge (Post 46676414)
Everyone that doesn't have it already pickup the Amazon free app of the day "splashtop remote"?

Can you pickup free app without running Android on Touchpad? I think a lot of people waiting for ICS before installing Android.

RiversMerge 01-06-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MozartA (Post 46679400)
Can you pickup free app without running Android on Touchpad? I think a lot of people waiting for ICS before installing Android.

Pretty sure you can just sign in and download it later. Its how I usually do it.
http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps...2350149011

MozartA 01-06-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiversMerge (Post 46681482)
Pretty sure you can just sighn in and download it later. Its how I usually do it.

Looks like you need at least one Android device register to your Amazon account before they let you do anything.

RockySosua 01-06-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MozartA (Post 46682526)
Looks like you need at least one Android device register to your Amazon account before they let you do anything.

I believe that is correct, at least that has been my experience.

brbubba 01-06-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiversMerge (Post 46681482)
Pretty sure you can just sighn in and download it later. Its how I usually do it.

Nice find, that's insanely handy. There's many times where I don't have my touchpad available or I'd rather not dig the thing out just to download a free app. The GF is borrowing my tablet but I now own the app! :woot:

RiversMerge 01-06-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Not much time left but here is a way around that. http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=44710690&postcount=109

Treammoke 01-07-2012 04:40 PM

The official Android on the HP Touchpad owners thread

In Apples new release of Lion system software, you will lose anything that is classic and Power Pc based code, Intel and Universal are at this point fine, and most of Xplanes software is noted as Universal, but the Overlay Editor is not listed as anything?, just a blank?

I dont think it will not work, but i would like to know just to be REALLY sure.....

monkeybiz 01-08-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

True but once you do it's still good even if you switch phones/OS. My Optimus T died a month ago and I grabbed the W7 Dell Venue Pro with Mango. However I've still been adding several free apps of the day per week for use on my next Android phone/tablet.

android news has been slow here lately. Any word on a simple BETA ETA? I sort of miss all the Android apps but have to say I'm a big fan of W7 Mango now.

calisoldier83 01-08-2012 10:17 PM

I can't get dropbox to work. When I try download a file it from the app, I get the error "storage full or unavailable". Does anyone know a workaround?

LiquidRetro 01-09-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeybiz (Post 46719820)
True but once you do it's still good even if you switch phones/OS. My Optimus T died a month ago and I grabbed the W7 Dell Venue Pro with Mango. However I've still been adding several free apps of the day per week for use on my next Android phone/tablet.

android news has been slow here lately. Any word on a simple BETA ETA? I sort of miss all the Android apps but have to say I'm a big fan of W7 Mango now.

Well the Cyanogenmod team doesnt give ETA's so there is not much info to go on. It is widely speculated that we will probably not get to Beta status on CM7 for the Touchpad because of ICS. A pretty good source of info is this guys Twitter account https://twitter.com/#!/dalingrin He is a major developer for the TP for both CM7 and CM9. Don't expect daily updates, if you get a weekly update consider that pretty good.

In all honesty the latest alpha is quite good. It's not prefect but if you crave Android or even want to try it out you have little to loose since its dual boot. I would recommend it if you have a little bit of patients. I am very happy with the current Alpha 3.5 and I know many others are here too.

cusco 01-10-2012 12:21 AM

does the current alpha 3.5 fix the wifi issue?

brbubba 01-10-2012 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cusco (Post 46759676)
does the current alpha 3.5 fix the wifi issue?

My only remaining WiFi issue is that upon boot I have to turn WiFi back on, it doesn't stay on by default. This is still much better than having to go into my networks, delete the network and then reconnect to the network and input my password.

LiquidRetro 01-10-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brbubba (Post 46761552)
My only remaining WiFi issue is that upon boot I have to turn WiFi back on, it doesn't stay on by default. This is still much better than having to go into my networks, delete the network and then reconnect to the network and input my password.

Mine works on boot in A3.5 I have gone over a week without rebooting and with no wifi issues.

JuJu83 01-10-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidRetro (Post 46763572)
Mine works on boot in A3.5 I have gone over a week without rebooting and with no wifi issues.

Mine got wifi issue with A3.5. It occasionally drops after screen is off/sleep or after reboot. After I read from CM7 forum. I did the following and my wifi is now more stablize. Hope this will help someone who are still having the wifi issue here.

Install wifi manager from Market.
It lets you look around the wifi channels around your neighborhood.

You may want to change the router channel to the one not commonly be configured (share) by everybody.

Install GScript Lite from Market.
It lets you create a preset script to be able to reset your wifi settings and reboot afterward. Create a task with this script: "rm -rf /data/misc/wifi && reboot" (without quote)

If you are still unable to get the wifi signal after trying to turn it on and off from wireless settings. You can just submit this script and it will reset your wireless settings. After reboot, you just need to go back to wifi settings and type in your router password and you are set.

Ram|bunc|tious 01-10-2012 10:28 PM

How's it looking everyone? Are we getting closer to "beta" yet or is this still very much an "alpha" release? :dontknow:

LiquidRetro 01-11-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram|bunc|tious (Post 46788514)
How's it looking everyone? Are we getting closer to "beta" yet or is this still very much an "alpha" release? :dontknow:

Read the thread, this has been talked about on this page even. http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=46738850&postcount=383

In my opinion this alpha build is good enough to be called a beta. It's not perfect but pretty darn good. I still have slight video playback issues but considering the risk of installing android is slim to none you really have very little to loose if you dont like it.

Ram|bunc|tious 01-11-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidRetro (Post 46794396)
Read the thread

I wish OP had thought of that! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidRetro (Post 46794396)
In my opinion this alpha build is good enough to be called a beta. It's not perfect but pretty darn good. I still have slight video playback issues but considering the risk of installing android is slim to none you really have very little to loose if you dont like it.

I guess I didn't realize the risk was low, that being said I haven't checked the thread in a couple weeks but not a chance was I going to put an alpha build (esp. w/o wifi) on my TP.

brbubba 01-11-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram|bunc|tious (Post 46795242)
I guess I didn't realize the risk was low, that being said I haven't checked the thread in a couple weeks but not a chance was I going to put an alpha build (esp. w/o wifi) on my TP.

Just wait for ICS at this point. I have a feeling I'm going to have to wipe CM7 anyway to get ICS on there.

LiquidRetro 01-11-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram|bunc|tious (Post 46795242)
I wish OP had thought of that! ;)

Provided you can read (Better double check this one) and follow directions the install should go as planned. If you decide you don't like android you can use the WebOS Webdoctor and restore the TP to factory settings. Currently Android on the TP is dual boot so you dont loose webos.

LiquidRetro 01-11-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brbubba (Post 46796488)
Just wait for ICS at this point. I have a feeling I'm going to have to wipe CM7 anyway to get ICS on there.

I would agree with you that it will be prudent to wipe CM7 to go to CM9. Might not be necessary but I sure plan on doing it.

Ram|bunc|tious 01-11-2012 08:58 AM

Thanks guys :nod:

RHCCapri 01-11-2012 09:24 AM

With so many experimental builds out there, plus the promise of ICS, I don't know which version of Android to load.

Are any of the current versions capable of running NetFlix and free Hulu?

Yes I see NetFlix in the Wiki, but things tend to stop working on the Alpha version.

RiversMerge 01-12-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHCCapri (Post 46797764)
With so many experimental builds out there, plus the promise of ICS, I don't know which version of Android to load.

Yes I see NetFlix in the Wiki, but things tend to stop working on the Alpha version.

NetFlix seems to work better with a3 than a3.5 for me. Lots of lag at times and bunching in 3.5 I have to stop play and start it up again to get it to sync up. Who knows what this may be like with ICS. As for free Hulu only know of that when you push it from your computer via something like PlayOn service or splashtop remote. Might be a work around to that but haven't heard of it yet.

LiquidRetro 01-12-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHCCapri (Post 46797764)

Care to share a list of the other builds? I knwo they are all pretty much forks of the CM7 effort such a MIUI.

RiversMerge 01-12-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidRetro (Post 46825360)
Care to share a list of the other builds? I knwo they are all pretty much forks of the CM7 effort such a MIUI.

Sorry maybe someone else could chime in then. From phone stuff to this always go with the cyan effort first or unofficial effort 2nd. 3rd choice would be something else and have no need for that. Until I hear from non total geeks as well as the total geeks it is better. So n e 1?

Btb greentheonly has got a new video up previewing the cm9 release. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U...ature=plcp

Sun_Shine 01-13-2012 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haideramn (Post 44179992)
LOL "raped"?

who was the lucky girl?

LiquidRetro 01-13-2012 07:51 AM

CM9 (ICS) for the touchpad is nearing release. Here is a video showing it off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UX0LHg2QlU

Everything but video playback (Huge for me) and the camera is reported working, and working well. I would guess this will be only a few more weeks. Maybe we will have it before the end of the month?