Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Sony SMP-N100 Wireless Streaming Media Player w/Built-in WiFi - (Refurbished) - $34.99 + Free Shipping (http://slickdeals.net/f/3509398-sony-smp-n100-wireless-streaming-media-player-w-built-in-wifi-refurbished-34-99-free-shipping)

sukr4deelz 11-06-2011 08:29 AM

Sony SMP-N100 Wireless Streaming Media Player w/Built-in WiFi - (Refurbished) - $34.99 + Free Shipping
 
Sonystyle

*Savings Reflected In Cart

Sony SMP-N100 Wireless Streaming Media Player w/Built-in WiFi - (Refurbished) - $34.99 + Free Shipping

https://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs...1666261255

Features:
Enjoy a variety of entertainment with the SMP-N100 streaming player with Wi-Fi. Wirelessly stream movies, TV episodes, videos and music from Netflix®, YouTube™, Pandora®, Hulu Plus™ and more. Easily access your music, videos and photos in up to Full HD 1080p when you connect a USB drive or wirelessly stream them over home network using your PC1. You can even download the free "BD remote" app to turn your iPhone®, iPod touch®, or compatible Android™ phone into a versatile remote

wikipost 11-06-2011 08:29 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)
 
BACK IN STOCK 11/8/11 as of 10AM MST.


BACK IN STOCK 11/7/11 as of 12AM EST.

BACK IN STOCK 11/10/11 as of 2PM CST.

BACK IN STOCK 11/15/11 as of 8AM CST. No more savings in cart, price is $60 not $35

Refurbished is now $60 [sony.com]. NEW is $50 [sony.com] :confused:

Get a new one at walmart
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3573958

ckv619 11-06-2011 08:49 AM

Not bad, the ratings were "okay". I'll grab two and try them out. Thank you OP!

Iceboie 11-06-2011 08:53 AM

New Sony Tech Device [theonion.com]

zixy_tris 11-06-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceboie (Post 44447988)


This is Awesome

froggydukes 11-06-2011 09:12 AM

i have one of these and bought one for a friend, this thing is solid!!! plays netflix, hulu and crackle very well and pretty much plays every file in my hard drive. its pretty quick too, (i think) and the remote is awesome, has a lot of features, i am not picking up one with this deal because i dont need another but i would, we paid around $70 for ours (both)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceboie (Post 44447988)

thats not this BTW

MeSoSlow 11-06-2011 09:14 AM

I have it. It works great for USB divx playing etc. Nice find! The new model N200 really only has a better remote IMO

ionizer 11-06-2011 09:18 AM

for $34.99 it's worth it to compare to the WD Live PLus I also bought... will use one in each room anyway

tihs WILL play XVID right? no need for any special conversions, etc.

what about DTS AC3, etc?

froggydukes 11-06-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceboie (Post 44447988)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ionizer (Post 44448756)
for $34.99 it's worth it to compare to the WD Live PLus I also bought... will use one in each room anyway

tihs WILL play XVID right? no need for any special conversions, etc.

what about DTS AC3, etc?


this plays everything in my box, no problems yet

ionizer 11-06-2011 09:20 AM

i see a note on newegg that says:

Cons: Will not play HD video using MPEG2 (H.264 or VC-1) over DLNA. This is indicated via small footnote on the product packaging and NOWHERE else. So any 720p or higher M2TS files you may have placed on your DLNA supported PC or NAS will not play at all. Advertising this media player as 1080p is misleading, when DLNA is considered.

has this been rectified?

froggy, the other reviews also say:

- WMV9 (video) will not play over DLNA
- MPEG1 (and 2) will not play HD over DLNA
- MPEG4 AVC will not play over DLNA
- AAC will not play over DLNA
- WMA9 (audio) will not play over DLNA

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggydukes (Post 44448796)
this plays everything in my box, no problems yet

can you clarify what you download/play? like straight up xvids is great, but if it cant play like mkv files w/ AC3 or DTS, than that kinda sucks...

still at $34.99 for xvids alone it's a good deal i guess

ionizer 11-06-2011 09:22 AM

and also to clarify - are you using it VIA DLNA or using it on a usb stick?

for whatever reason, it seems there is a difference on this box for the two

Sheraz 11-06-2011 09:26 AM

how is this compare to roku? anyone know if it will play indian shows available to stream online?

i am interested in a box that would play website links that we can play on computer. will this do it?

airshaq20 11-06-2011 09:28 AM

Thanks, got one.
I have 2x Apple TV at home but have a few bucks sitting in my Paypal - not bad for the price.

startear 11-06-2011 09:28 AM

Nice deal, ordered two, thanks OP!

froggydukes 11-06-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ionizer (Post 44448816)
i see a note on newegg that says:

Cons: Will not play HD video using MPEG2 (H.264 or VC-1) over DLNA. This is indicated via small footnote on the product packaging and NOWHERE else. So any 720p or higher M2TS files you may have placed on your DLNA supported PC or NAS will not play at all. Advertising this media player as 1080p is misleading, when DLNA is considered.

has this been rectified?

froggy, the other reviews also say:

- WMV9 (video) will not play over DLNA
- MPEG1 (and 2) will not play HD over DLNA
- MPEG4 AVC will not play over DLNA
- AAC will not play over DLNA
- WMA9 (audio) will not play over DLNA



can you clarify what you download/play? like straight up xvids is great, but if it cant play like mkv files w/ AC3 or DTS, than that kinda sucks...

still at $34.99 for xvids alone it's a good deal i guess

i can verify i play mkv with no problem, (its a blu ray rip) the two things with 9's dont know but the mpegs yeah and the aac (apple no?) no problem...i play via a hard drive and i stream crackle, amazon, netflix and hulu no problems. id have to look specifically at what files i have (since i dl and i dont rip them i cant tell you what each are, they are all different)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ionizer (Post 44448848)
and also to clarify - are you using it VIA DLNA or using it on a usb stick?

for whatever reason, it seems there is a difference on this box for the two

no, i play from my hard drive attached to the front port and i stream netflix, hulu, crackle, and amazon with zero buffer isssues

neatwords 11-06-2011 09:31 AM

the Roku LT is a better device than this sony streamer. Spend the extra 10 dollars and get the Roku LT. Roku has support for more internet channels. This Sony Streamer is extremely buggy, and has limited channels. its probally only good if you want component video support.

ionizer 11-06-2011 09:35 AM

sounds like this player has a lot of DLNA issues

i have no patience to plug in a HArd drive... i can already do that with my DVD player from 2005

i want to stream stuff off my NAS...not go to my pc, copy files, bring the hd over to my device (that is wireless) and play it that way

im not committing until someone can confirm DLNA of XVID, MKV and other basic files works fine via HDMI...

....if anyone has any feedback please let me know

neatwords 11-06-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ionizer (Post 44449140)
sounds like this player has a lot of DLNA issues

i have no patience to plug in a HArd drive... i can already do that with my DVD player from 2005

i want to stream stuff off my NAS...not go to my pc, copy files, bring the hd over to my device (that is wireless) and play it that way

im not committing until someone can confirm DLNA of XVID, MKV and other basic files works fine via HDMI...

....if anyone has any feedback please let me know

Get a wdtv live or plus. the new live model has a better remote and built in wifi. try use some staples coupons to get a good price.

Sheraz 11-06-2011 09:40 AM

which player is best for playing contents from the internet? i have enough players that plays all kind of files from usb but i want to play stuff from the internet that i can play on my pc

TomTerrific 11-06-2011 09:44 AM

Thanks OP, in 4 2.

washyou 11-06-2011 09:48 AM

so, this has no youtube app?

neatwords 11-06-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheraz (Post 44449262)
which player is best for playing contents from the internet? i have enough players that plays all kind of files from usb but i want to play stuff from the internet that i can play on my pc

The Roku is, any model, even the LT which is 50 dollars. It supports every streaming service including HBO Go. Sony is most likely switching to googletv, and they are dumping their net-tv boxes.

digimatic 11-06-2011 09:52 AM

Thanks OP, missed out last time.

ionizer 11-06-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatwords (Post 44449204)
Get a wdtv live or plus. the new live model has a better remote and built in wifi. try use some staples coupons to get a good price.

already picked one up refurbed from ebay, waiting for it to arrive
but figured for $35 id get a second unit for a diff tv, but it sounds like this won't help me.

Evo-IC 11-06-2011 10:05 AM

Interesting little device at a solid price.
Thanks for the post, OP.

synapse007 11-06-2011 10:25 AM

It does not play DLNA served files of mkv.

Can it play mkv shared on samba or nfs ? Does it make a difference that it not served but just shared on network.

hacklovemaster 11-06-2011 10:25 AM

Will it work for WIDI laptop technology?

yeediddy 11-06-2011 10:27 AM

Got one yesterday from Sony outlet b&m. It recognizes but will not play content from PMS. Works great with Serviio. Def worth the 35 for a media streamer that has the xcross media interface.

CasualMustafa 11-06-2011 10:28 AM

Wouldn't a laptop with a HDMI would better suitable? You're not limited and you know what your getting. I already have a blu-ray with netflix and pandora and I read posts that this device is a little sketchy.

RandomBehavior 11-06-2011 10:30 AM

I have this unit, a Popcorn Hour, and a Western Digital Live (not plus) and this Sony is my primary streaming box as of right now. I use it's Netflix streaming a lot and it's awesome for when I don't feel like transferring files over to the networked server from my laptop, which is where I usually download to.
I've had a handful of files, usually Bluray rips in MKV format, that have locked the box requiring a power cycle. I think it's from the current firmware version, though.
Although the unit says it doesn't stream MKV files wirelessly, there is a workaround. You simply change the extension to .AVI. Takes a few for the box to 'see' the files but it WILL stream them no problem (up to 720 at least). So it isn't an issue with the box not being able to play them, it's an issue of the server functions omitting the MKV files altogether based on extension. Hope that made sense.
Anyway, with it's hangups, it's my #1 for now. I paid $79 new. The remote and unit work great with my Bravia tv, too. Love that it powers the tv on via HDMI signal when I turn the box on.
Lastly, I HATE that it only has the USB port on the front. How ugly to have my external HD or thumbdrive sticking out of that at times. Luckily I don't use the USB very much anyway.
EDIT - Forgot to mention, I've bought 3 total now, for gifts and myself. 1 was DOA right out of box and was purchased new. Just a sidenote.

skull leader 11-06-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceboie (Post 44447988)

Hilarious!

RandomBehavior 11-06-2011 10:35 AM

EDIT #2, there's also an official Sony iPhone app to control it. Works great, despite it being horribly designed. But nice for when I'm too lazy to go grab the remote since my phone is always by my side (sadly).
Mods : didn't mean to make this a separate reply. Please merge and/ or delete with my prior if it's an issue since I'm too stupid to find a delete post button.

monkeybiz 11-06-2011 10:39 AM

SCREW SONY!! I still have 3x$50 ecoupons that never work and now they act like they aren't valid now. Worst company ever.

jeffbanyon 11-06-2011 10:44 AM

Damnit. Had to buy 2. I was just looking at this model at BB this past Friday and didn't buy it cause it was still to expensive. Glad I held back. We'll see how well it works. If all else fails, it'll be a decent gift for someone.

Calcugod 11-06-2011 10:45 AM

Thank you for the early Christmas present.

froggydukes 11-06-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatwords (Post 44449058)
the Roku LT is a better device than this sony streamer. Spend the extra 10 dollars and get the Roku LT. Roku has support for more internet channels. This Sony Streamer is extremely buggy, and has limited channels. its probally only good if you want component video support.

It has hdmi

Quote:

Originally Posted by washyou (Post 44449440)
so, this has no youtube app?

Yes it has a youtube channel

andy4theherd 11-06-2011 10:51 AM

Thanks OP!

i've been looking for a second box for my Amazon Prime instant videos.

redRanger 11-06-2011 10:53 AM

[QUOTE=froggydukes;44450650]It has hdmi


I think neatwords means for TV w/o HDMI :omg:

SlickTex 11-06-2011 10:56 AM

I read the manual for this thing. Seems that it only supports streaming from other devices using DLNA but can't use NFS/SAMBA/CIFS. Although I have a Synology Diskstation I don't usually use DLNA for any of my streaming boxes (WD Live & Live Plus, ASUS Oplay and Patriot HBO)

IGemini 11-06-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceboie (Post 44447988)

This is not the piece of the Sony shit you linked though.

ii.Bao 11-06-2011 10:57 AM

I was going to buy it, then I remembered I don't have a TV. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeybiz (Post 44450506)
SCREW SONY!! I still have 3x$50 ecoupons that never work and now they act like they aren't valid now. Worst company ever.

The phone trade-ins ecoupons?

madrascaldavid 11-06-2011 11:02 AM

been waiting on this and finally pulled the trigger. Thanks OP, TU and rep'd!

froggydukes 11-06-2011 11:03 AM

[QUOTE=redRanger;44450750]
Quote:

Originally Posted by froggydukes (Post 44450650)
It has hdmi


I think neatwords means for TV w/o HDMI :omg:

Oh ok yeah it has both

madrascaldavid 11-06-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomBehavior (Post 44450432)
EDIT #2, there's also an official Sony iPhone app to control it. Works great, despite it being horribly designed. But nice for when I'm too lazy to go grab the remote since my phone is always by my side (sadly).
Mods : didn't mean to make this a separate reply. Please merge and/ or delete with my prior if it's an issue since I'm too stupid to find a delete post button.

Do you know if there's an Android app?

turtleXL 11-06-2011 11:05 AM

for those that have already, what format must the usb be for the ain't device to read it. I keep getting invalid format

ionizer 11-06-2011 11:06 AM

So all in all, seems like this isn't good if your main usage is to stream dlna. For all of you hooking up external hds and playing files off it that way, wtf do you do that? Don't you have a main PC using windows 7 or a nas drive? Why are you wasting time to copy files? How annoying, get with the program, its not 2005

monkeybiz 11-06-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ii.Bao (Post 44450826)
I was going to buy it, then I remembered I don't have a TV. :lol:
The phone trade-ins ecoupons?

yeah, from January, almost a year and I don't even know if they expire. Just sent a support email to see if they will convert them to gift cards.

It was the sonystyle recycling program and they were generous with $50 for most any old cell phone. However they reduced the trade in value by half the next day, likely from the slickdeal effect. I sent in five and got three worthless ecoupons. Seemed like a deal at the time but now "we are not accepting ecoupons at this time" At least craigslist gives you cash and not stupid coupons.

albert_e 11-06-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ionizer (Post 44451032)
So all in all, seems like this isn't good if your main usage is to stream dlna. For all of you hooking up external hds and playing files off it that way, wtf do you do that? Don't you have a main PC using windows 7 or a nas drive? Why are you wasting time to copy files? How annoying, get with the program, its not 2005

Please explain the Windows 7 part -- I am still with Win XP and would like to know how win 7 helps.

eyefusion 11-06-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomBehavior (Post 44450350)
I have this unit, a Popcorn Hour, and a Western Digital Live (not plus) and this Sony is my primary streaming box as of right now. I use it's Netflix streaming a lot and it's awesome for when I don't feel like transferring files over to the networked server from my laptop, which is where I usually download to.
I've had a handful of files, usually Bluray rips in MKV format, that have locked the box requiring a power cycle. I think it's from the current firmware version, though.
Although the unit says it doesn't stream MKV files wirelessly, there is a workaround. You simply change the extension to .AVI. Takes a few for the box to 'see' the files but it WILL stream them no problem (up to 720 at least). So it isn't an issue with the box not being able to play them, it's an issue of the server functions omitting the MKV files altogether based on extension. Hope that made sense.
Anyway, with it's hangups, it's my #1 for now. I paid $79 new. The remote and unit work great with my Bravia tv, too. Love that it powers the tv on via HDMI signal when I turn the box on.
Lastly, I HATE that it only has the USB port on the front. How ugly to have my external HD or thumbdrive sticking out of that at times. Luckily I don't use the USB very much anyway.
EDIT - Forgot to mention, I've bought 3 total now, for gifts and myself. 1 was DOA right out of box and was purchased new. Just a sidenote.

Thank you. I bought one before reading your post with the faith that I could find some workaround with the issues mentioned. To me, your post is the most helpful. Rep incoming, my friend.

ii.Bao 11-06-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeybiz (Post 44451052)
yeah, from January, almost a year and I don't even know if they expire. Just sent a support email to see if they will convert them to gift cards.

It was the sonystyle recycling program and they were generous with $50 for most any old cell phone. However they reduced the trade in value by half the next day, likely from the slickdeal effect. I sent in five and got three worthless ecoupons. Seemed like a deal at the time but now "we are not accepting ecoupons at this time" At least craigslist gives you cash and not stupid coupons.

Those coupons expired a long time ago. If you read the thread on it, you'll know all you had to do was call in if the coupon wasn't working online. I had some problems ordering online, so, I called, and I had my orders completed over the phone. It was better than ordering online, because I wasn't charged with tax or shipping.

Nikola-Tesla 11-06-2011 11:19 AM

Got one.

BaseShip 11-06-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ionizer (Post 44451032)
So all in all, seems like this isn't good if your main usage is to stream dlna. For all of you hooking up external hds and playing files off it that way, wtf do you do that? Don't you have a main PC using windows 7 or a nas drive? Why are you wasting time to copy files? How annoying, get with the program, its not 2005

You need to see Dr. Phil/Dr. Drew for your anger issue.

iluvpinktacos 11-06-2011 11:35 AM

do this work for RCA cable to an old CRT tv?

RandomBehavior 11-06-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madrascaldavid (Post 44450984)
Do you know if there's an Android app?

Not sure. Abandoned my Droid based phone a year ago.

Mumrik 11-06-2011 11:40 AM

So MKV over the network is a hazzle? That's pretty much the only thing I'd use it for!

RandomBehavior 11-06-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyefusion (Post 44451148)
Thank you. I bought one before reading your post with the faith that I could find some workaround with the issues mentioned. To me, your post is the most helpful. Rep incoming, my friend.

If the workaround you are talking about is the MKV streaming via WIFI, expect frustration haha. It's absolutely not the best way to go about it, but so far it's the only thing I've found. Kinda stupid since clearly it is capable of it. But the server is generated through using Windows Media Player. If you were to run a dedicated server app, you may have better luck. I tend to obsess so I knew better than to even start messing around with yet another server setup just to get around this one issue.
Better off having the served files coming from a source that's available via LAN along with the media player, but for now that isn't practical for me.
Thanks for the rep in advance! ;)

cmja98 11-06-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeybiz (Post 44450506)
SCREW SONY!! I still have 3x$50 ecoupons that never work and now they act like they aren't valid now. Worst company ever.

Second that. F Sony. Worst company ever.

ionizer 11-06-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaseShip (Post 44451352)
You need to see Dr. Phil/Dr. Drew for your anger issue.

I'm not angry not have issues, trying to understand other peoples preference to not move forward with the times.

Skap 11-06-2011 11:46 AM

nice makes a good christmas gift thanks op.

ionizer 11-06-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albert_e (Post 44451138)
Please explain the Windows 7 part -- I am still with Win XP and would like to know how win 7 helps.

Win7 has a built in dlna server, so sharing your media files is a breeze and accessible to all dlna compliant devices. Problem still its many of them can see the files, but don't know how to play them

RandomBehavior 11-06-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumrik (Post 44451698)
So MKV over the network is a hazzle? That's pretty much the only thing I'd use it for!

Over wifi, unless there's a cleaner method, yes it is frustrating at times. The device states it does not stream MKV files via WIFI, but changing the extension to AVI gets around it. But once you've change the extension there's often a delay for the device to actually 'see' the file. I blame Windows Media Player, since it is actually the DLNA server side of the whole thing.
if you were running your own DLNA server app, that had MKV support, then I'm sure thing's wouldn't be any issue. I'm just too lazy and OCD to go screwing with it for now.

RandomBehavior 11-06-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ionizer (Post 44451032)
So all in all, seems like this isn't good if your main usage is to stream dlna. For all of you hooking up external hds and playing files off it that way, wtf do you do that? Don't you have a main PC using windows 7 or a nas drive? Why are you wasting time to copy files? How annoying, get with the program, its not 2005

I hook up an external HD when I carry my 1.5TB drive to my girlfriend's house and family members homes whom I have bought this device for. They don't have near the library I do so I can plug in to their SMP-N100 with my drive and let them watch whatever they want.
At home, yes, I have a primary server on the LAN. But I am moving so everything is disconnected so I'm mostly stuck with streaming via WIFI via my laptop and using my USB drive.
And Win7 isn't needed to have a DLNA server as it's WMP itself that serves the files. This laptop, for example, is an XP machine but I use WMP to serve the files via WIFI to the device.

swa513 11-06-2011 11:57 AM

in 4 one

madrascaldavid 11-06-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomBehavior (Post 44451648)
Not sure. Abandoned my Droid based phone a year ago.

I just read on the main page...

You can even download the free Media Remote™ app to turn your iPhone®, iPod touch®, or compatible Android™ phone into a versatile remote control3.

harrisonv 11-06-2011 12:17 PM

Does this support rmvb, it's not listed but i'm not sure if it's similar to some other codec.

This seems to answer the question:

http://reviews.bestbuy.com/answer...ta&dir=asc

sindignatio 11-06-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomBehavior (Post 44451648)
Not sure. Abandoned my Droid based phone a year ago.

yes there is a android app for this! look at the second video in the bottom of the product page where there is comparison between this and apple tv.

I recently purchased the Netgear Neo TV 550 for its capability of playing Bluray iso's, but sadly it doesn't have the netflix. I am thinking of getting this to connect to a older tv for streaming. Any thoughts?

albert_e 11-06-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ionizer (Post 44451816)
Win7 has a built in dlna server, so sharing your media files is a breeze and accessible to all dlna compliant devices. Problem still its many of them can see the files, but don't know how to play them

Thanks. If I understood it right ...

Any HDTV that supports DLNA should be able to play files sitting on your win7 laptop (or NAS drive), streamed over your home network.

Does any software also stream YouTube / Netflix / Hulu / Justin.tv videos to your TV from your laptop too? (Of would that be redundant if the TV itself is WiFi network enabled?

Sorry I am a HDTV n00b.

monkeybiz 11-06-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ii.Bao (Post 44451264)
Those coupons expired a long time ago. If you read the thread on it, you'll know all you had to do was call in if the coupon wasn't working online. I had some problems ordering online, so, I called, and I had my orders completed over the phone. It was better than ordering online, because I wasn't charged with tax or shipping.

Frankly I didn't want to even log into Sonystyle with all the ID theft at the time. Call me a hater but they deserve a lot of it. Now if you could find that SD thread for me I would be most grateful. Reps to anyone that can point me to it.

edesgatre 11-06-2011 12:33 PM

in 4 1
Thanks OP!

ii.Bao 11-06-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeybiz (Post 44452432)
Frankly I didn't want to even log into Sonystyle with all the ID theft at the time. Call me a hater but they deserve a lot of it. Now if you could find that SD thread for me I would be most grateful. Reps to anyone that can point me to it.

You didn't have to log into Sonystyle, you could've called them to make the order.
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2557289

monkeybiz 11-06-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ii.Bao (Post 44452768)
You didn't have to log into Sonystyle, you could've called them to make the order.
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2557289

fark, these expired way back on 3/31, april fools joke on me. Repped.

Lonnzo79 11-06-2011 01:08 PM

this dead? i get "currently not available" when i try to checkout

crap 11-06-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonnzo79 (Post 44453238)
this dead? i get "currently not available" when i try to checkout

yes item out of stock...for now..

mysore99 11-06-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvpinktacos (Post 44451590)
do this work for RCA cable to an old CRT tv?

It does has the Audio L, Audio R, Video Out (RCA plugs). That's the reason I bought it, because my old TV does not have HDMI.

On my old TV, I am happy with the picture; but one big complaint is that the Netflix interface is terrible. The movie description is barely readable. If you already know what you want to watch, then it is fine; if you want to browse, read the description etc.. its very frustrating.

For about, $37.xx, I would say this is a great bargain. In fact, I tried ordering two more for my family and friends, but they are sold out for now.

I own several SONY audio/video products; SONY knows how to build good hardware; but when it comes to software, user interface, they are stuck in the middle ages.

PassiveX 11-06-2011 02:00 PM

The sony store is stupid and highly annoying. I logged in with my password, didn't take it, fine.
Reset password and got the link a few minutes later. ok
reset password, successful, but can't log in with the new password. wtf
tried to reset password again, this time using copy and paste (so there's no chance of having the wrong password), still didn't work. sigh... time to buy from someone else.

BuzzardGas 11-06-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PassiveX (Post 44454182)
The sony store is stupid and highly annoying. I logged in with my password, didn't take it, fine.
Reset password and got the link a few minutes later. ok
reset password, successful, but can't log in with the new password. wtf
tried to reset password again, this time using copy and paste (so there's no chance of having the wrong password), still didn't work. sigh... time to buy from someone else.

Sony site only lets you in via hacking the site. Legitimate people are blocked. ;)

Seriously, I've had similar issues as yours in the past. :(

Anyone know if this item has any additional streaming, etc. capabilites over their Bluray / streaming players like the 570?

namlook 11-06-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PassiveX (Post 44454182)
The sony store is stupid and highly annoying. I logged in with my password, didn't take it, fine.
Reset password and got the link a few minutes later. ok
reset password, successful, but can't log in with the new password. wtf
tried to reset password again, this time using copy and paste (so there's no chance of having the wrong password), still didn't work. sigh... time to buy from someone else.

Just create a new account. Worked for me.

tipstir 11-06-2011 02:36 PM

I have 7 of these and no issues. I am going to get to more since the price of two would equal the price of 1. The new one is out at the the SONY store nearby. They had no clue how to use it nor did they know how good CrackleTV came through on it. The new one is $99 and smaller the remote is like a toy. It does 3D if you care to know. I won't buy that one though. 2 more of these and that's it. I have one in every bedroom, living room and kitchen. I just need to put one in my outdoor patio. I had just installed the CISCO Linksys RE1000 in the Patio. Attached to a wall mounted HDTV and I am set!

tipstir 11-06-2011 02:44 PM

Sold out I see oh well..

Mumrik 11-06-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomBehavior (Post 44451844)
Over wifi, unless there's a cleaner method, yes it is frustrating at times. The device states it does not stream MKV files via WIFI, but changing the extension to AVI gets around it. But once you've change the extension there's often a delay for the device to actually 'see' the file. I blame Windows Media Player, since it is actually the DLNA server side of the whole thing.
if you were running your own DLNA server app, that had MKV support, then I'm sure thing's wouldn't be any issue. I'm just too lazy and OCD to go screwing with it for now.


Reading up on AVS the problems seems to exist no matter how you do the server part of it.

It's sold out now anyway (doesn't say so until you add it to the basket), so meh :)

RandomBehavior 11-06-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mumrik (Post 44456536)
Reading up on AVS the problems seems to exist no matter how you do the server part of it.

It's sold out now anyway (doesn't say so until you add it to the basket), so meh :)

Well that's weak. So glad I didn't get inspired to go looking for a solution cuz I honestly would have spent days trying to get around it.
Managed to get one ordered before they sold out. Will be sending it to my mom who will love the Netflix streaming.
I'm sure I'll ultimately build myself a HTPC that will do everything I want it to. Thanks for the followup.Definitely good to know.

Mumrik 11-06-2011 05:15 PM

No problem.

ionizer 11-06-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albert_e (Post 44452390)
Thanks. If I understood it right ...

Any HDTV that supports DLNA should be able to play files sitting on your win7 laptop (or NAS drive), streamed over your home network.

Does any software also stream YouTube / Netflix / Hulu / Justin.tv videos to your TV from your laptop too? (Of would that be redundant if the TV itself is WiFi network enabled?

Sorry I am a HDTV n00b.

not any files on your win7 laptop or nas drive... only the ones that specific tv has codecs for... in theory DLNA should devise some set agreed upon standards for that too, but they just handle the communication aspect of seeing the files

i don't know about the latter

sukr4deelz 11-06-2011 09:46 PM

BACK IN STOCK 11/7/11 as of 12AM EST.

crossgar 11-07-2011 07:34 AM

This box can be used to stream BBC iplayer in the UK.
Does anyone know of a similar product which checks the following boxes?

Available in US
Streams iplayer / ITV / 4OD to a TV
Easy to hack unlike PS3
Less than $100

fatcool 11-07-2011 07:37 AM

Only grownups would understand the answer. :nod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dealtron (Post 44450316)
Wouldn't a laptop with a HDMI would better suitable? You're not limited and you know what your getting. I already have a blu-ray with netflix and pandora and I read posts that this device is a little sketchy.


MoonlightSonata 11-07-2011 12:10 PM

Picked one up, thanks! :worship: Anyone think it will eventually get HBO Go? That's the only thing that tempted me to get that new Roku.

JWeavis 11-07-2011 12:29 PM

In for 2.

Bargain_Shopper 11-07-2011 12:35 PM

And OOS during checkout...

Studly 11-07-2011 12:48 PM

I checked Amazon reviews, and they are not that great for this player. But most of the negative reviews have to do with the file formats that it can stream via Wi-Fi from a PC.

I'm wondering if this Sony would work fine for someone like me just wanting to stream Netflix and Pandora from the Internet, or if I should spend a bit more and get a Roku LT for $50 list price (see this SlickDeals thread), which will hopefully go down in price when stores start having sales on it? Anyone have any opinions on which unit is the better buy for those just streaming channels from the Internet?

UPDATE: Guess it doesn't matter ... thought it was back in stock, but when you check out, it isn't. Those who were interested may want to hold out for the Roku LT ... see link above.

gershon21 11-07-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studly (Post 44482242)
This deal is back on, if you add it to your cart. I checked Amazon reviews, and they are not that great for this player. But most of the negative reviews have to do with the file formats that it can stream via Wi-Fi from a PC.

I'm wondering if this Sony would work fine for someone like me just wanting to stream Netflix and Pandora from the Internet, or if I should spend a bit more and get a Roku LT for $50 list price, which will hopefully go down when stores start having sales on it? Anyone have any opinions on that?

Not back on. Sold out.

judyneric 11-07-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceboie (Post 44447988)

That's great! :woot:


And why can't Sony come up with a name most of their products, everything is a SPCHFD-9280990-SCR-S95. :shake:

fbueller 11-07-2011 04:00 PM

This plays 1080p/60fps which is very rare for a box like this, even PS3 won't. I'm hoping that it works, thanks OP!

empiretc 11-07-2011 05:52 PM

dang it................ really want one

edlin303 11-08-2011 11:06 AM

back in stock, just scored a pair. Hopefully this won't be as bad as the WD Live Pros I just bought. I can't even watch 720p without major stuttering on that.

empiretc 11-08-2011 11:07 AM

SCORE!! $37.88. worth a shot since PS3 died...

eduong 11-08-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ionizer (Post 44461062)
not any files on your win7 laptop or nas drive... only the ones that specific tv has codecs for... in theory DLNA should devise some set agreed upon standards for that too, but they just handle the communication aspect of seeing the files

i don't know about the latter

You can use ps3 media server and it will stream any video file and subs to your tv. I think it may depend on your tv..works on my sony 55HX820 tv.

ionizer 11-08-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eduong (Post 44514044)
You can use ps3 media server and it will stream any video file and subs to your tv. I think it may depend on your tv..works on my sony 55HX820 tv.

is it transcoding the files on the fly to some recognizable format for your tv?

RabidBunny 11-08-2011 11:22 AM

Wondering if these units support 5.1 from netflix? Also how is the harmony support for these?

eduong 11-08-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ionizer (Post 44514396)
is it transcoding the files on the fly to some recognizable format for your tv?

I don't think so...was trying to watch an AVI file with an srt file...and it streamed perfectly. I didn't go into the transcode folder.

MoonlightSonata 11-08-2011 11:32 AM

Deal is back on, ordered another one. At very worst I should be able to sling it on craigslist for $50 or give it to someone as a gift. I HOPE this eventually gets HBO Go.

dewaynesangel 11-08-2011 11:44 AM

Just took the plunge and bought 2. The kids need a way to watch Netflix & Hulu Plus while we're cutting bills like $120/mo Directv. Hopefully these will work well. Thanks to the OP for posting this.

smokeythebandit 11-08-2011 11:55 AM

If im streaming something on the internet like a hockey game, can I use this to play on my TV?

johnw91498 11-08-2011 12:02 PM

It says oos again...

krao99 11-08-2011 12:03 PM

out of stock

empiretc 11-08-2011 12:07 PM

these are going FAST. definitely a better option than Roku!

smokeythebandit 11-08-2011 12:31 PM

ahhh just missed it, hopefully will come back

monkeybiz 11-09-2011 07:30 PM

I'll believe it when I see it.
Quote:

Thank you for your inquiry to Sony Trade-In powered by ecoNEW. The eCoupons were issued to be used during the initial promotion window that ended in February. The eCoupons are long expired now. We will issue a Sony Gift Card for the remaining amounts and you should receive this by mail within the next couple weeks.

Sony Trade-In Support

Joe
I wrote as suggested and wasn't very polite about asking for GCs. After all this time they may come through with $150 GCs, if so I'll stop hating Sony for a whole week!

davidg80 11-10-2011 10:56 AM

Back in stock. Just ordered

flaycrow 11-10-2011 12:15 PM

Back in stock! Just ordered 2. :)

hdz 11-10-2011 12:45 PM

Just got one to try out. Thanks!

T1T0 11-10-2011 01:11 PM

Got one too. Thanks.

CSquare43 11-10-2011 01:30 PM

In for one. Thank you!!

Blitzman343 11-10-2011 01:54 PM

just bought 1. sis will love it. THANKS!

empiretc 11-10-2011 03:43 PM

just came in today and this thing rocks!!

screw it, just ordered another!!!!!

JadaBatawa 11-10-2011 04:32 PM

I have been wanting one but keep missing it. :(
I wish there was an option to get an email when it comes in stock.

ranchdrsn 11-10-2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eduong (Post 44514044)
You can use ps3 media server and it will stream any video file and subs to your tv. I think it may depend on your tv..works on my sony 55HX820 tv.

Yep, just use the PS3 media server, can be found on google, streams MKV no problem.. just use TSmuxer option, those who know what this program is will have no problem using this device to stream nearly any file...

davlee88 11-10-2011 06:52 PM

damn OOS

Vossy 11-10-2011 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davlee88 (Post 44603018)
damn OOS

It says in stock on item page... but OOS in checkout.. damn

empiretc 11-10-2011 07:38 PM

there now!

GO GO GO

Vossy 11-10-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by empiretc (Post 44604216)
there now!

GO GO GO

It's letting you checkout?

empiretc 11-10-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vossy (Post 44604344)
It's letting you checkout?


Nope, just tried:


REFURBISHED - Streaming Player with Wi-Fi SMPN100\/BSTOCK is currently not available. Please remove it from the cart before proceeding.

shadowshopper 11-10-2011 07:50 PM

Says in stock but when I try to checkout it says currently unavailable

Vossy 11-10-2011 07:51 PM

Someone should try buy it via phone :P

shadowshopper 11-10-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vossy (Post 44604558)
Someone should try buy it via phone :P

I just did, no go

Lonnzo79 11-11-2011 06:24 AM

These boxes are sweet. Got two this weekend and hooked them up. Dlna servers my pc. Now no more burning dvds.

Added plus this has alot of online streaming capabilities but right now I'm just using it for network streaming.
A good 75 bucks for 2. The Android app for remote works well also.

boourns84 11-11-2011 10:02 AM

Got my two today in the mail. One I had to manually update, the other didn't have to be updated.

I had em both hooked up via ethernet cable and I had usb drives on them. Quality so far is good, I can't really tell a difference in video quality from other boxes I have used (popcorn hour, wdtv, PC).

Like people have said, you can't stream MKV's, I guess somebody said you can change the file extension, but I really don't care as these will be gifts to people, and they most likely won't be streaming files, they will be using usb drives.

A great deal

CSquare43 11-11-2011 11:53 AM

Got my shipping notification...should be here next Tuesday!!

Thanks again OP.

hightop32 11-11-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonnzo79 (Post 44614292)
Now no more burning dvds.

whoa what year is it?
;)

empiretc 11-11-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boourns84 (Post 44621468)
Like people have said, you can't stream MKV's,


You can, depending on what you are using to stream.

However, just like the sony blu-ray players, you will get much better quality changing the extension to AVI and putting it on a thumb drive. Then pop it in the front USB port.

The PS3 died a couple weeks ago and we got 2 of these units for less than it would cost to fix it. this thing ROCKS!!

boourns84 11-11-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by empiretc (Post 44630770)
You can, depending on what you are using to stream.

However, just like the sony blu-ray players, you will get much better quality changing the extension to AVI and putting it on a thumb drive. Then pop it in the front USB port.

The PS3 died a couple weeks ago and we got 2 of these units for less than it would cost to fix it. this thing ROCKS!!

I didn't have to change the file extension when I played it on a thumb drive, the MKV's that is...which is odd don't ya think? flash drive mkvs = ok, streaming mkvs = no

empiretc 11-11-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boourns84 (Post 44630934)
I didn't have to change the file extension when I played it on a thumb drive, the MKV's that is...which is odd don't ya think? flash drive mkvs = ok, streaming mkvs = no


that is true. with the n100, you do not have to change the extension.

What are you using to stream your media?

andy4theherd 11-11-2011 03:55 PM

got mine today as well. it was already updated to the newest firmware. hooked it up to my Epson 1080 Home Projector and watched Super Troopers via Amazon Prime Instant Video on my 106" screen. works flawlessly.

shadowshopper 11-11-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hightop32 (Post 44626832)
whoa what year is it?
;)

He shoulda said, no more burning Blu-rays. ;)

ckv619 11-12-2011 06:41 PM

Just got mine today and it isn't too bad of a device to stream Netflix, Hulu, etc onto older TVs for just $35. I couldn't get home server to work yet (MKV, DivX, etc), but I got other devices to do that.

rileyper 11-12-2011 07:27 PM

got mine and love it

PinkyToe 11-12-2011 08:09 PM

Is it only me, but after a while of using it, it stops my video and tells me that i have a network error... I'm streaming from netflix, hulu, crackle and stuff... but my network is fine... my ps3 has no problems however...

SlidingBike 11-12-2011 08:32 PM

FAIL: POJ product... I've purchased it, tried for a week, got pissed off and returned it.. Sony priced it as $100 at its release.. now they cant even sell this for pennies.. FAIL...

empiretc 11-12-2011 08:52 PM

got 2, and both work flawlessly streaming web content or anything via DLNA. these are great. will get one more when they come back in stock.

JWeavis 11-13-2011 07:01 AM

Got both my players yesterday. Mine are both having issues. After powering on and making a selection (even using arrows) I'm having to wait a minute+ between making selections. IE, Left arrow (wait), Left arrow (wait), Left arrow (wait), down arrow (wait)....

It takes me 10 minutes to get into the system information. Both players do this.

redRanger 11-13-2011 12:06 PM

possible 2 months free Huluplus http://www.hulu.com/plus/sonypromo

swa513 11-13-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanhaggan (Post 44662800)
Is it only me, but after a while of using it, it stops my video and tells me that i have a network error... I'm streaming from netflix, hulu, crackle and stuff... but my network is fine... my ps3 has no problems however...


im having the same problem, i took mine to my dads house today and tried it on his wifi & it worked perfectly. took it back home still getting network errors but, atleast i know its not the player. anyone have any ideas i have been looking and cant find anything that would be a problem.

PinkyToe 11-13-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by empiretc (Post 44663416)
got 2, and both work flawlessly streaming web content or anything via DLNA. these are great. will get one more when they come back in stock.

are you using LAN or WIFI? WIFI is giving me problems for no reason. Telling me that my network failed and stuff when my network is perfectly fine.

empiretc 11-13-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanhaggan (Post 44683934)
are you using LAN or WIFI? WIFI is giving me problems for no reason. Telling me that my network failed and stuff when my network is perfectly fine.


Wired. Wireless is an option, not a solution.

crap 11-13-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by empiretc (Post 44685812)
Wired. Wireless is an option, not a solution.

are you able to get mkv files to stream? I changed to .avi extension still not showing up using serviio.

empiretc 11-13-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crap (Post 44686052)
are you able to get mkv files to stream? I changed to .avi extension still not showing up using serviio.

yeah, works both via streaming or off a USB drive without changing the extension unlike the blu-ray player.

Serviio has to be the problem. Using PS3 media server here.

absoluteloki89 11-13-2011 05:53 PM

I recommend to stay away from this player. I had it for almost the full 30 days before I returned it. Nothing but wifi problem after wifi problem every single day. I gave it a fair chance but it was probably the worst home theater purchase I have made.

I would recommend spending a little more and get WDlive or a Roku. They both have more features and channels of content.

PinkyToe 11-13-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by empiretc (Post 44685812)
Wired. Wireless is an option, not a solution.

But if they are selling a product with wireless in it, it should work as advertised. I got no probs with my roku over wifi... but this thing gives me probs. Unless somebody posts a solution, i'm returning this thing. Good product, but the wifi component of it is faulty.

empiretc 11-13-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by absoluteloki89 (Post 44686164)
I recommend to stay away from this player. I had it for almost the full 30 days before I returned it. Nothing but wifi problem after wifi problem every single day. I gave it a fair chance but it was probably the worst home theater purchase I have made.

I would recommend spending a little more and get WDlive or a Roku. They both have more features and channels of content.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanhaggan (Post 44686808)
But if they are selling a product with wireless in it, it should work as advertised. I got no probs with my roku over wifi... but this thing gives me probs. Unless somebody posts a solution, i'm returning this thing. Good product, but the wifi component of it is faulty.

Tested this thing via wifi as well. It works fine.

Don't be so quick to condemn a product just because it does not works as well as others you have. Wifi is quirky and there are an enormous amount of different things that can make a difference.

Wireless is an option- not a solution. What encryption are you using? Are you using load balancing? Are you using interference mitigation?

Don't be so quick to say a product sucks. could be something else.

buzzy 11-13-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by empiretc (Post 44687028)
Wireless is an option- not a solution. What encryption are you using? Are you using load balancing? Are you using interference mitigation?

Being a clueless weenie is an option, too, it seems.

empiretc 11-13-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzy (Post 44687148)
Being a clueless weenie is an option, too, it seems.

hahahaa. repped !!


that is the problem with a lot of people, but they will blame the product first.

PinkyToe 11-13-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by empiretc (Post 44687028)
Tested this thing via wifi as well. It works fine.

Don't be so quick to condemn a product just because it does not works as well as others you have. Wifi is quirky and there are an enormous amount of different things that can make a difference.

Wireless is an option- not a solution. What encryption are you using? Are you using load balancing? Are you using interference mitigation?

Don't be so quick to say a product sucks. could be something else.

I'm using WPA... I actually like the sony player... but why is it that everything else in my house works fine except this? I'm not a certified techie, but I know a thing or two. The sony player shouldn't be giving me errors about my network not being on and stuff... I really do believe that the reason these were refurbished were the wifi components.

I also noticed a pattern witht he sony player. When it gives me a network error, It's best to not hit retry... just wait 2 minutes and try again. It also almost always cuts off about 5 minutes into a video... no matter what service.

crap 11-13-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by empiretc (Post 44686112)
yeah, works both via streaming or off a USB drive without changing the extension unlike the blu-ray player.

Serviio has to be the problem. Using PS3 media server here.

any special configurations you had set up for mkv over wifi? i got it to recognize but stutters when i play some mkv files. Some work well, some do not work so well...Other formats perfectly fine.

crap 11-14-2011 12:11 AM

Got it. This things is beautiful and flawless. I am brand new in this area, but it so straight forward. PMS works perfect, and the problem i was having can be solved by forcing transcoding on mkv files since it did not do this on some.

empiretc 11-14-2011 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crap (Post 44694070)
Got it. This things is beautiful and flawless. I am brand new in this area, but it so straight forward. PMS works perfect, and the problem i was having can be solved by forcing transcoding on mkv files since it did not do this on some.


Great!

This player is really diverse. For $35 it is the best deal!

empiretc 11-14-2011 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanhaggan (Post 44690338)
I'm not a certified techie, but I know a thing or two.

check the first, then the second thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crap (Post 44693028)
any special configurations you had set up for mkv over wifi? i got it to recognize but stutters when i play some mkv files. Some work well, some do not work so well...Other formats perfectly fine.

No, but you know not all files will be equal. Haven't really tried many MKV files, since the collection is mostly AVI and ISO. Did have a hiccup on an ISO, but found it was a codec issue. Everything is smooth as silk again once it was updated.

yourwhiteshadow 11-14-2011 01:30 AM

$54.99 and oos wish I had seen this earlier.

yourwhiteshadow 11-14-2011 01:54 AM

$54.99 and oos wish I had seen this earlier. Really need a media player...

Quote:

Originally Posted by empiretc (Post 44694694)
check the first, then the second thing.



No, but you know not all files will be equal. Haven't really tried many MKV files, since the collection is mostly AVI and ISO. Did have a hiccup on an ISO, but found it was a codec issue. Everything is smooth as silk again once it was updated.

The mkv nitrate is probably too high for streaming

empiretc 11-14-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourwhiteshadow (Post 44694912)
The mkv nitrate is probably too high for streaming


they stream fine

yourwhiteshadow 11-14-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by empiretc (Post 44703896)
they stream fine

maybe if you're watching 720p video, but if you're watching a high bitrate 1080p video it most certainly will not play fine off wireless g, and will definitely even stutter if you're using 802.11n. best bet for those is to just use USB.

crap 11-14-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by empiretc (Post 44694694)
check the first, then the second thing.



No, but you know not all files will be equal. Haven't really tried many MKV files, since the collection is mostly AVI and ISO. Did have a hiccup on an ISO, but found it was a codec issue. Everything is smooth as silk again once it was updated.

Sorry as i mention i am new to this area. MKV works fine, i just did not force the server to transcode all mkv extensions so some where not being transcoded hence stuttering. I am curious how you were able to get ISO to work though. I tried "transcoding" it as well since it does not play directly, but didn't work too well. Sorry could you be more specific with the "codec" issue? Can you play iso as a disc with menu, or do you have to play individual vob files within the iso. Thank you

hightop32 11-14-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourwhiteshadow (Post 44711456)
maybe if you're watching 720p video, but if you're watching a high bitrate 1080p video it most certainly will not play fine off wireless g, and will definitely even stutter if you're using 802.11n. best bet for those is to just use USB.

best bet is always to use a wired ethernet connection. only lazy noobs use wifi or sneakernet :wave:

yourwhiteshadow 11-14-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hightop32 (Post 44718094)
best bet is always to use a wired ethernet connection. only lazy noobs use wifi or sneakernet :wave:

yeah but i'd rather not go through the trouble of wiring my house. that would be ideal, and definitely my next house will have wired everywhere, but until then...

hightop32 11-14-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourwhiteshadow (Post 44721834)
yeah but i'd rather not go through the trouble of wiring my house. that would be ideal, and definitely my next house will have wired everywhere, but until then...

fair enough, but id bet youd be hard pressed to find someone who 'went through the trouble' or paid someone to do so, and felt like it wasnt worth it after it was said and done.

yourwhiteshadow 11-14-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hightop32 (Post 44721912)
fair enough, but id bet youd be hard pressed to find someone who 'went through the trouble' or paid someone to do so, and felt like it wasnt worth it after it was said and done.

do you know by chance how much it costs to route 150-200 ft of wire through a double story house? i'd actually like to have a wire, and from the sounds of what you're saying its not THAT expensive.

chefjw 11-15-2011 08:15 PM

Honestly had really good luck myself with the Homeplug 200mb stuff in my house to get around running wire. Granted I do not get gigabit ethernet speed but not all my devices support gigabit anyways so no loss on my part. Hell I just picked up 2 sets of WD Livewire for 110 bucks so I could use up some rewards coupons from buying selling Asus Transformers when they first came out.

ionizer 11-15-2011 08:20 PM

i second the homeplug 200mb, good enuf for me in a 9 year old home to stream 1080p mkv (needs a few seconds to buffer of course)

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourwhiteshadow (Post 44721994)
do you know by chance how much it costs to route 150-200 ft of wire through a double story house? i'd actually like to have a wire, and from the sounds of what you're saying its not THAT expensive.

it's not the wiring that's expensive, it's the labor of getting someone to wire it throughout your home....plus wiring is always a guessing game with walls and you'll likely have some holes you'll need to patch up and paint later

Graco 11-18-2011 09:06 AM

get a new one

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3573958

luvdeelz 11-18-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourwhiteshadow (Post 44721994)
do you know by chance how much it costs to route 150-200 ft of wire through a double story house? i'd actually like to have a wire, and from the sounds of what you're saying its not THAT expensive.

We are considering the NETGEAR XAVB101 Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit for $60 shipped
[amazon.com] to stream to a room in the house where the wifi signal is weak. I think it is similar to the homeplug mentioned by others. It uses your home's electrical wiring to create an Ethernet network connection instead of running cat5 cable.

For $60 it's worth a try. We would pay at least that just for someone to come take a look.

Parker1974 11-18-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdeelz (Post 44851152)
We are considering the NETGEAR XAVB101 Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit for $60 shipped
[amazon.com] to stream to a room in the house where the wifi signal is weak. I think it is similar to the homeplug mentioned by others. It uses your home's electrical wiring to create an Ethernet network connection instead of running cat5 cable.

For $60 it's worth a try. We would pay at least that just for someone to come take a look.

I just started using a pair of Powerline AV 200 adapters (this, specifically: http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Pow...=pd_cp_e_1), and I'm impressed with the product. Couldn't have been simpler to install. I was trying to stream 720p mkv files over wifi from a Mac to a PS3 (over PS3 Media Server), and the video was unwatchable, far too choppy. I connected the PS3 to the Powerline adapter, and even with the Mac still on wifi, the difference is like night and day. Zero delay/stuttering/artifacts.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:49 AM.