Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   HP Touchpad: 16GB $99, 32GB $149 (Refurbished) + shipping (http://slickdeals.net/f/3670196-hp-touchpad-16gb-99-32gb-149-refurbished-shipping)

vinhtvu2 12-07-2011 07:28 AM

HP Touchpad: 16GB $99, 32GB $149 (Refurbished) + shipping

HP employees will have a chance to purchase a refurbished HP TouchPad via eBay before the sale is announced to the general public. Specifically, the TouchPads will be offered through one of HP's newest marketplaces for close-out and refurbished HP products, the new HP eBay Store <http://stores.ebay.com/hewlettpackard> .
:look:
This product will NOT be available through any other HP stores, such as the Home & Home Office store, Small & Medium Business store, HP EPP or the HP Business Outlet. PLEASE DO NOT CALL ANY OF THESE CALL CENTERS BECAUSE IT DISRUPTS REGULAR SALES ACTIVITIES AND THEY'RE UNABLE TO PROCESS AN ORDER FOR THE TOUCHPADS ANYWAY.

In an effort to give HP employees first chance at a very limited supply of refurbished TouchPads, there will be a short delay between when the product is posted live for sale on eBay and when the general public is notified of the sale.

Refurbished HP TouchPads, both 16GB and 32GB versions, will be posted for sale through the HP eBay store at: 6:00 p.m. (Central Time), Sunday, December 11th. If you are interested in purchasing a refurbished TouchPad, please make yourself a reminder to log-on to eBay a few minutes before the sale starts to make your purchase.

The TouchPads will be available for sale here (under "Laptops"):

http://stores.ebay.com/hewlettpackard <http://stores.ebay.com/hewlettpackard>

Important information about this sale:

http://edm.hp.21torr.com/media.php/_21EMS/x.gif

There will be both 16GB and 32GB versions available, selling at a fixed price of $99 and $149 respectively.while supplies last.

There is also an optional 3-piece Accessory bundle with a Case, Charging Dock & Wireless Keyboard for $79 (est. value $199.97).

Purchases must be made through the HP eBay store via PayPal only. If you do not have eBay or PayPal accounts, create your accounts before the sale begins to avoid delays.

The product offer will be announced to the general public on Monday morning and is expected to sell-out quickly thereafter, so don't delay.

There will be a limit of two (2) TouchPad SKUs per eBay member, sold on a first come, first served basis.

This sale is not associated with any HP-sponsored employee purchase program and there are no additional discounts for HP employees off the HP eBay store price.

All sales are final. There are no returns unless product arrives defective.

The refurbished TouchPad product comes with a 90-day limited warranty.

Going live:
6:00 p.m. (Central Time), Sunday, December 11th.

iconian 12-07-2011 07:28 AM

HP Touchpad: 16GB $99, 32GB $149 (Refurbished) + shipping

1 Attachment(s)
HP is selling their touchpads via ebay. 16GB version is priced at $99 and 32GB version is priced at $149. Shipping is $19 per unit. Thanks vinhtvu2Note: maximum order of 2 touchpads per link

wikipost 12-07-2011 07:28 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

6 Attachment(s)
UPDATE: HP is crediting the $19 shipping charges per unit through a PayPal credit. Emails are being sent out starting late morning of 1/19.
CHECK YO EMAIL OR PAYPAL FO YO CREDIT. And consider leaving good feedback.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Received good units from

NV - 11
NJ - 11
TX - 99
IN - 101
CO - 1
IL - 44

Received bad units from

NV-11
NJ - 33
TX
IN- 23
CO
IL -

Trollin Empty Box- Contact HP EBay CS 877-133-1337
Stolen unit from Indianapolis. I contacted UPS and they won't help me. They told me to check with my neighbors, and then have the seller open an investigation with them. My neighbors don't have it, so I sent HP a message through ebay. HP sent me a message back saying per the tracking info it was delivered. I already explained this situation in my original email, so I sent the same thing back. I am awaiting a 2nd response from HP. But it doesn't look good so far. I will be opening a paypal dispute tomorrow. EDIT- I called the # and they were very helpful and said they are sending me a replacement, which will be here by christmas.
Received 16GB when 32GB was paid for - 1 (from TX)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to Update Refurbished Touchpad from OS version 3.0.2 to latest 3.0.4

I got my Touchpad today, but the newly arrived refurbished Touchpad is running OS version 3.0.2 and claims to be up to date. Of course, we know that the latest OS is 3.0.9 from the retail Touchpads.

In order to update it to the latest OS, you have to use webOS Doctor. First, go through the Setup steps on your Touchpad and create a webOS account, aka HP Profile. Then to go http://www.hpwebos.com/account and log in. Clicked on Device Options and download the webOS Doctor.

Once webOS Doctor is downloaded, run it and follow the steps until it asks you to connect the Touchpad. Before you connect, you have to put your Touchpad into USB Update mode using these steps [hpwebos.com] listed on the webOS Doctor FAQ.

Then the Next button should show up and it will proceed. The whole process took about 1 hour, and my Touchpad is now running on the latest 3.0.9 and hopefully it will receive future OS updates too (if not use these steps again).

-- c46

FYI, I tried to update from 3.0.2 to 3.0.9 for multiple times without success yesterday. And gave a first shot today, it updates smoothly by itself, takes around 20 minutes. If you don't wanna to go through webOS doctor, you may just hold on for a while and just keep on trying. System itself doesn't have too much difference.

-- hinsburg
Just a heads up. The 30 lbs showing under your tracking IS only for 1 Touchpad. If you ordered 2, you can track the other one by REFERENCE if you have or set up an account with UPS to be able to view "Additional Information". Once you are logged in and use your existing tracking number, you will see under additional information a reference number. Simply take the last number of that reference number and increase or decrease by 1 and then copy and paste that to "track by reference", select United States and your zip code and do your search. You should see the other package in transit. I have 4 separate shipments, 3 from Indianapolis and 1, scheduled for delivery today, from Edison NJ. Again,you need to create an account with UPS to see this additional information and reference number. I have delivery alerts set up with "My UPS" and that's how I know.

Alternate tracking by REFERENCE without signing up for UPS account.
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=46039902&postcount=8134

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=45923836&postcount=7228 REP THIS MAN! I got my two tracking numbers!

eldred24 was the second to post the CA link here @ 7:08pm (EST) http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=45861110&postcount=3059

obelisk79 is the guy from the UK link for the 16GB. @ 7:15pm Rep him here.

See the screenshot ExpeditedShipping.png below that shows that at some point during the ordering process, expedited shipping for 2 TPs was the same price as standard ground shipping ($38). Thanks to mfive for the screenshot. (link to post)

200,316 WERE IN STOCK FOR THE 16GB AND 800,305 FOR THE 32GB.

The deal is supposed to go live at the following time in the US, depending on your time zone:
4:00 PM PST
5:00 PM IST
6:00 PM CST
7:00 PM EST

HERE IS THE ORIGINAL LETTER SENT TO HP EMPLOYEES:
Quote:

According to Techcrunch, http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/07/hp-touchpad-ebay/

Refurbished HP TouchPads, both 16GB and 32GB versions, will be posted for sale through the HP eBay store at: 6:00 p.m. (Central Time), Sunday, December 11th. If you are interested in purchasing a refurbished TouchPad, please make yourself a reminder to log-on to eBay a few minutes before the sale starts to make your purchase.

The TouchPads will be available for sale here (under "Laptops"): http://stores.ebay.com/hewlettpackard

Important information about this sale:

• There will be both 16GB and 32GB versions available, selling at a fixed price of $999 and $1149 respectively…while supplies last.
• There is also an optional 3-piece Accessory bundle with a Case, Charging Dock & Wireless Keyboard for $179 (est. value $199.97).
• Purchases must be made through the HP eBay store via PayPal only. If you do not have eBay or PayPal accounts, create your accounts before the sale begins to avoid delays.
• The product offer will be announced to the general public on Monday morning and is expected to sell-out quickly thereafter, so don’t delay.
• There will be a limit of two (200) TouchPad SKUs per eBay member, sold on a first come, first served basis.
• This sale is not associated with any HP-sponsored employee purchase program and there are no additional discounts for HP employees off the HP eBay store price.
• All sales are final. There are no returns unless product arrives defective.
• The refurbished TouchPad product comes with a 90-day limited warranty.
• Please note that eBay orders only allow one ship-to location per order.

Thank you for your cooperation, good luck to you and don’t forget to mark your calendars for 8:00 p.m. (Central Time), Sunday, December 11th.

Note: In an effort to give HP employees first chance at a very limited supply of refurbished TouchPads, there will be a short delay between when the product is posted live for sale on eBay and when the general public is notified of the sale.

Accessories
-- Poetic Slimbook Case [amazon.com]
-- Acase Slim Leather Case [amazon.com]
-- Targus Truss Case [amazon.com]

Started Guide
New Touchpad? Here's your "Get Started" guide [webosnation.com]

Preware
How to: Install Preware on Your TouchPad [webosbuzz.com]
How to: Overclock your TouchPad [webosbuzz.com]
youtube tutorial on preware install [youtube.com]

Android
Easy to Follow Visual Guide to Run Android on your HP Touchpad [briefmobile.com]
CyanogenMod TouchPad Forum [cyanogenmod.com]
Idiot's Guide to Installing CM7 on Touchpad [youtube.com] - Tells where to get files and clear instructions on installation.
Step-by-Step Instruction How to Install XRON Cyanogen Mod and TWRP 2.0 Recovery

Webos 3.0.4 force update
For those who has trouble updating from 3.0.2 to 3.0.4 [youtube.com] (thanks to laneg004)

dpaul007 12-07-2011 07:30 AM

Damn, and I just bought a 16GB one for 160 for Christmas. Maybe I'll have to get another one :)

SirMack 12-07-2011 07:31 AM

I was never able to get a touchpad, and I've pretty much given up. But who knows...

luis702 12-07-2011 07:32 AM

I hope this is true because I am going to be on this like flies on $hie*

kmartind 12-07-2011 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth112 (Post 45684758)
Note: In an effort to give HP employees first chance at a very limited supply of refurbished TouchPads, there will be a short delay between when the product is posted live for sale on eBay and when the general public is notified of the sale.

Out of curiosity, assuming you're an HP employee, why would you post this here and ruin your own chances of getting one early? :confused:

franzcatch 12-07-2011 07:37 AM

Uh... where does this information come from?
Reputable?

I guess we will find out at 6pm.

tjhook 12-07-2011 07:38 AM

lol this is going to sell out in minutes.

vinhtvu2 12-07-2011 07:40 AM

Doh....... I just got my email from HP and posted it as well... guess I need to find my post and delete it.

There is also an optional 3-piece Accessory bundle with a Case, Charging Dock & Wireless Keyboard for $79 (est. value $199.97).

That's a pretty good deal for the case, dock, and keyboard... I think I'll wait for that. Already got two Touchpad running Android CM7..... dont need another one.

mirai 12-07-2011 07:40 AM

Case + TouchStone + Keyboard for $7x seems like a good price. I might grab one set. Thanks:-D

luis702 12-07-2011 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjhook (Post 45685210)

I am already trying to add to cart :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kline (Post 45685298)
Case + TouchStone + Keyboard for $7x seems like a good price. I might grab one set. Thanks:-D

they been here all the time a couple left in stock

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3641936

boss13 12-07-2011 07:42 AM

LOL at this........but I guess if you didn't get one yet.....it might be your last chance. Loving CM7 dual boot.

bkim84 12-07-2011 07:44 AM

I will be careful with these refurbished, it seems like HP never really fixes them right.

madpoet 12-07-2011 07:45 AM

Well, thanks for the heads up :)

PedroR 12-07-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franzcatch (Post 45685172)
Uh... where does this information come from?
Reputable?

Its from Stealth, formerly of Midnight Auto Parts, its gotta be true

maplecheapo 12-07-2011 07:46 AM

I likz. :drool:

mirai 12-07-2011 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luis702 (Post 45685308)
I am already trying to add to car :)

they been here all the time a couple left in stock

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3641936

Thank you :-) it seems like keyboard is oos already though.

luis702 12-07-2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kline (Post 45685538)

I just posted to someone like 5 minutes ago dam

Quote:

there is four more

http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaf...omoid=1244

ovybox 12-07-2011 07:49 AM

Did all previous posters missed the fact that the sale starts Sunday or I am missing something?:rolleyes:

JL889 12-07-2011 07:49 AM

Let the madness begin......................On Sunday

fbdave 12-07-2011 07:49 AM

Ohh Touchpad, you are SUCH a tease.

I will probably try and snag one b/c I do want one but given complete FAIL on efforts to get a new one I'm not getting my hopes up.

i3ighead 12-07-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmartind (Post 45685152)
Out of curiosity, assuming you're an HP employee, why would you post this here and ruin your own chances of getting one early? :confused:

Altruism? Plus. There is a delay and employees get dibs.

BB sold refurbs a week or so ago.

JamesDavid 12-07-2011 07:54 AM

legit.... must make sure I am online at 6 on Sunday, no matter where i am...

Laptop and 3G card will be on my hip...

Mumrik 12-07-2011 07:54 AM

Here we go again :D

rtoudozue 12-07-2011 07:54 AM

This is for real. I got the email as well from HP.

mo.karney 12-07-2011 07:55 AM

Gotta grease my eBay sniper! Let's go!

myamex 12-07-2011 07:56 AM

great, i just sold my 32gb last week for $240.

tjhook 12-07-2011 07:59 AM

lol at Meg Whitman, now HP CEO, using her former company to blow out the last few remaining Touchpads.

nonstopfan 12-07-2011 08:00 AM

how is the ebay process compared to Amazons lightning deals. Will you have 0.8 seconds to click? I am not familiar with the ebay process when it comes down to thousands of people looking to bid/buy one item.

drozek 12-07-2011 08:00 AM

This should be fun

Rollodo 12-07-2011 08:03 AM

Does anybody have any experience with refurbished Touchpads?

steppedinit 12-07-2011 08:04 AM

Any good eBay bidding tools to get in on this?

bugelrex 12-07-2011 08:05 AM

How does an employee 'log in' to ebay to identify themselves as an employee? Had ebay hooked up a login to the HP EPP site?

Rollodo 12-07-2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myamex (Post 45685902)

Was there anything wrong with it technically or otherwise?

JL889 12-07-2011 08:07 AM

I wonder if we'll be able to crash eBay's site on Sunday!!

bugelrex 12-07-2011 08:08 AM

How to HP employees 'log in' to ebay to identify themselves as employee? There there a login to EPP through ebay?

xur17 12-07-2011 08:08 AM

I'm curious to see how many they actually list, and how ebay's system holds up.

Dough Boy 12-07-2011 08:10 AM

This is going to be a S Fest. lol

xivioz 12-07-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by luis702 (Post 45685570)
I just posted to someone like 5 minutes ago dam

there is four more

http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaf...omoid=1244

FYI, people were having the keyboard price match rejected there, unfortunately. NCIX had been coming back with a counteroffer of $29 for the keyboard, instead of the $19.99 that was available at eCOST.com.

teqsun 12-07-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugelrex (Post 45686264)
How does an employee 'log in' to ebay to identify themselves as an employee? Had ebay hooked up a login to the HP EPP site?

this :nod:

nszalewski 12-07-2011 08:11 AM

My iconia is on backorder... I know this is worth 149 or even 99 bucks but is it better than the iconia?!? I should just keep both and give one to the GF but she has a Nook Color!

pwrbrkr 12-07-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xur17 (Post 45686400)
I'm curious to see how many they actually list, and how ebay's system holds up.

ebay system will be totally fine. they had run doorbuster promo couple of years ago where 100k or so people searched for the item at the same time. On top of that many people used a script from mr waffle (veterans here must remember him) that would make queries continuously in a loop. Ebay systems didnt blink an eye..

alexken 12-07-2011 08:14 AM

Setting my reminder now! Thanks for the heads up OP.

Sethbacca 12-07-2011 08:15 AM

For those that get this I'd recommend that Cyanogenmod install to get android on this thing. The install is super easy and works surprisingly well considering it's only an alpha at this point. There are definitely a few bugs (install fakegps app if you want to use Facebook or it will crash the FB app) but it's worth playing with for sure.

12345654321 12-07-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigugi (Post 45686542)
your an asshole for posting this. Now you probaly wont be able to get one and no other HP employees will be able to get one. Just a bunch of slickdealers.

if you look around multiple people posted this at the same time. of course we are A holes we're slickdealers what do you expect.

mark83077 12-07-2011 08:15 AM

Refurbished? Yuck!

myamex 12-07-2011 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollodo (Post 45686278)
Was there anything wrong with it technically or otherwise?

Nothing wrong, but I already have too many tablets and I heard that HP will announce the death of WebOS in 2 weeks.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danie...s-whitman/

weidbrewer 12-07-2011 08:15 AM

LOL Suckers. Here we go again with the mad scramble for the last crumbs of a failed device. Good luck with that.

Did it work? Is the competition gone so I can snag another one?
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

spintek 12-07-2011 08:16 AM

Yea...snipe an unlisted auction. The things people say. Smh

CinandGin 12-07-2011 08:17 AM

Here we go again!

myamex 12-07-2011 08:17 AM

Quote:

your an asshole for posting this. Now you probaly wont be able to get one and no other HP employees will be able to get one. Just a bunch of slickdealers.

We are the 1%. We are going to get all of them. So what?
Fark the 99%. :D

windy_kroy 12-07-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark83077 (Post 45686670)
Refurbished? Yuck!

I would assume that many of these refurbs are units returned due to cracks in the plastic case (like mine).

dzap 12-07-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myamex (Post 45686746)
We are the 1%. We are going to get all of them. So what?
Fark the 99%. :D

:highfive:

gclc1216 12-07-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

LOL? we share deals here so everyone can get it as well. problem is with those who buy more than enough or making $$ off this site.

steppedinit 12-07-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark83077 (Post 45686670)
Refurbished? Yuck!

I have been buying refurbished for over 10 years, never had a problem. At least you know they work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by myamex (Post 45686676)
Nothing wrong, but I already have too many tablets and I heard that HP will announce the death of WebOS in 2 weeks.

See the Cyanogenmod Android port note above. WebOS is just a temporary OS (and a good one) until the port is finished.

Quote:

Originally Posted by weidbrewer (Post 45686688)
LOL Suckers. Here we go again with the mad scramble for the last crumbs of a failed device. Good luck with that.

Did it work? Is the competition gone so I can snag another one?
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

:lol: Nice.

I snagged a 32GB earlier, but wouldn't mind getting another 16gb for my daughter. Won't find a better tablet for the price. Very well made.

01grander 12-07-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

And apparently you cannot read....look at what the OP says.

dr.girish 12-07-2011 08:21 AM

Take this thread down before it gets too famous. :P
eBay is gonna crash big time!

Processing... 12-07-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Whitman is going to announce what they plan to do with WebOS sometime next week (according to the article you posted), but it doesn't say anything about killing WebOS (it may be wishful thinking, but I think they should be able to find a buyer for the operating system)

travfar 12-07-2011 08:22 AM

Sweet. I still have a ton of GCs left over from Groupon.

greymoose 12-07-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

You're= you are; your= possessive Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine. If you're going to insult someone, at least have the courtesy to do it with grammatical precision.:D

gclc1216 12-07-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendykroy307 (Post 45686800)
I would assume that many of these refurbs are units returned due to cracks in the plastic case (like mine).

how did the case crack? was it cheap material or cheaply made?

linuxajay 12-07-2011 08:23 AM

So what?

I got a 32gb and a 16gb during the fire sale. I put Android on both and sold off the 32gb on craigslist for 170 (including thousands of cases that I had bought since getting the touchpad). I sold it off because I did not find any use for such a heavy tablet. The other touchpad is still at home - for wife.

TouchPad is no big deal. I really do not understand why we are making so much fuss about it.

Phatboy113 12-07-2011 08:23 AM

Having owned the touchpad since the original firesale I personally don't think it's worth it if you're planning on using it strictly with WebOs. I thought that the lack of apps wouldn't be that big of a deal as I got it primarily for web browsing but I find myself using my wife's ipad a lot more.

For those planning on stocking up on these again for resale, I don't know about other locations but around here the prices for touchpads (brand new ones) have dropped significantly. The demand just isn't there anymore.

prasamin 12-07-2011 08:23 AM

touchpad relaunch

i'm hearing from an hp employee in india that hp is relaunching the touchpad...but still with web os or whatever the os was....any news on this? very credible source...

chemao 12-07-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth112 (Post 45684758)
• There is also an optional 3-piece Accessory bundle with a Case, Charging Dock & Wireless Keyboard for $79 (est. value $199.97)

Damn man, I want the case and touchstone but have absolutely no use for the keyboard. I wish they had the accessories separate.

thangdn 12-07-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwrbrkr (Post 45686622)
ebay system will be totally fine. they had run doorbuster promo couple of years ago where 100k or so people searched for the item at the same time. On top of that many people used a script from mr waffle (veterans here must remember him) that would make queries continuously in a loop. Ebay systems didnt blink an eye..

Can you please provide the link to the script? Thanks!

myamex 12-07-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Processing... (Post 45686882)
Whitman is going to announce what they plan to do with WebOS sometime next week (according to the article you posted), but it doesn't say anything about killing WebOS (it may be wishful thinking, but I think they should be able to find a buyer for the operating system)

I hope they just open source WebOS and be done with it. They ve already written off the 3.3billion for Palm & WebOS.

Significa 12-07-2011 08:24 AM

Tag for later

purple 12-07-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirMack (Post 45684970)
I was never able to get a touchpad, and I've pretty much given up. But who knows...

lol me too :)

dealnewb 12-07-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxajay (Post 45686936)
I got a 32gb and a 16gb during the fire sale. I put Android on both and sold off the 32gb on craigslist for 170 (including thousands of cases that I had bought since getting the touchpad). I sold it off because I did not find any use for such a heavy tablet. The other touchpad is still at home - for wife.

TouchPad is no big deal. I really do not understand why we are making so much fuss about it.

The low price and/or ability to put android OS on it.

blackrain 12-07-2011 08:25 AM

Will I be able to purchase this via the ebay app?

soconfused 12-07-2011 08:25 AM

2154 people currently viewing this thread.....

luis702 12-07-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xivioz (Post 45686512)
FYI, people were having the keyboard price match rejected there, unfortunately. NCIX had been coming back with a counteroffer of $29 for the keyboard, instead of the $19.99 that was available at eCOST.com.

oh really I wonder why they rejected it ? lol

DeathCab 12-07-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

lol this is going to sell out in seconds.

fixed your typo.

stuckatwork 12-07-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prasamin (Post 45686962)
i'm hearing from an hp employee in india that hp is relaunching the touchpad...but still with web os or whatever the os was....any news on this? very credible source...

Yep... they are relaunching it on Sunday evening via eBay ;)

chemao 12-07-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Suck it up man, HP employees were soaking them up when they first went on sale, and don't give us all the crybaby about how you won't be able to buy 5 of them and then sell them on fleaBay to make a few bucks. You guys already get first dibs so what are you all butt hurt about? Beat it troll.

myamex 12-07-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prasamin (Post 45686962)

Windows 8
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/hp-...ws-8/62077

slammedisuzu 12-07-2011 08:27 AM

No thanks. Had one, and ended up getting rid of it.

Good luck to all of those who are still trying to get one though.

Yosemity 12-07-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myamex (Post 45685902)

I sold my 16GB on Amazon this week for 229. Only used it about 10-20 hours. When I realized that I could turn it on, go to the bathroom and take a dum*, return and it was still booting up, that was it. That coupled with a real lack of any freaking applications. I original paid $85 for it because early on the HP's website was accepting the $15 off 100 coupon code. I think they stopped that when they (HP) realized some were getting the Touchpad for only $85.

xur17 12-07-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phatboy113 (Post 45686938)
Having owned the touchpad since the original firesale I personally don't think it's worth it if you're planning on using it strictly with WebOs. I thought that the lack of apps wouldn't be that big of a deal as I got it primarily for web browsing but I find myself using my wife's ipad a lot more.

For those planning on stocking up on these again for resale, I don't know about other locations but around here the prices for touchpads (brand new ones) have dropped significantly. The demand just isn't there anymore.

The prices on ebay for the 16gb are about the same, if not higher than they were a month or so ago.

chemao 12-07-2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weidbrewer (Post 45686688)
LOL Suckers. Here we go again with the mad scramble for the last crumbs of a failed device. Good luck with that. Did it work? Is the competition gone so I can snag another one?

It didn't work.

jbloggs 12-07-2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwrbrkr (Post 45686622)

Where can one find such a script ;)

Quote:

I really like the TouchPad/WebOS I hope they do end up selling it the right company or make it open source.

joevanni 12-07-2011 08:30 AM

LOL. Purchasing a refurbished Touchpad is just asking for trouble. Many TP owners had problems with them new out the box. I like my TP but I can't believe a big company like HP released this tablet with so many bugs. :shake:

Emily00 12-07-2011 08:30 AM

This should be fun, But does anybody have any experience with refurbished Touchpads?

whitebeatx 12-07-2011 08:30 AM

"Note: In an effort to give HP employees first chance at a very limited supply of refurbished TouchPads, there will be a short delay between when the product is posted live for sale on eBay and when the general public is notified of the sale."

L A M E......................................

timcdeals 12-07-2011 08:31 AM

Awesome, Cyanogen team is working on android ICS on touchpad, CM9. The quadrant scores on this shows a very fast hardware so for this cheap a price this can't be beat. Check out my youtube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feat...NjwTvHht_s

Howardval 12-07-2011 08:31 AM

These are gonna sell out in the first 15 seconds....GUARANTEED! Nationwide, I'm betting hundreds of thousands will be trying to get one (million?).

This news is already making it's round even on Craigslist!

There is more interest in this than if John Lennon comes back from the dead and the Beatles reunite for a farewell concert!

signalsoldier 12-07-2011 08:31 AM

good luck to everyone I finally got one Sunday morning at a Conn's Took 4 months and I finally got lucky. Hopefully the resellers will have some Christmas cheer and let others enjoy modding a touchpad.

xcub 12-07-2011 08:31 AM

TouchPad is heavy & bulky - You may consider the Asus orPlaybook tablets.

luis702 12-07-2011 08:33 AM

True Sder talent if your able to score one :pirate:

chemao 12-07-2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yosemity (Post 45687156)
I sold my 16GB on Amazon this week for 229. Only used it about 10-20 hours. When I realized that I could turn it on, go to the bathroom and take a dum*, return and it was still booting up, that was it. That coupled with a real lack of any freaking applications. I original paid $85 for it because early on the HP's website was accepting the $15 off 100 coupon code. I think they stopped that when they (HP) realized some were getting the Touchpad for only $85.

The joke's on you man. I've been running Cyanogenmod Android on mine for a couple of months and it's great. The rumors are they'll be releasing ICS for it in January. I have to admit you make no sense with the whole shutting it down thing, either. I never turn mine off, so I don't have to worry about waiting for it to boot. I do have to give you props for selling it for $239. You ripped that guy off for just a 16GB version.

weidbrewer 12-07-2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chemao (Post 45687202)
It didn't work.

DAMNIT! :look:

So...I'm a bit confused - is this just for HP employees or general public?

froggydukes 12-07-2011 08:33 AM

i have to agree i like the one year warranty on mine, cant imagine having only 90 days....they have so many problems, i havent had any yet (fingers crossed) but others have had them out of the box.

Chrscott22 12-07-2011 08:33 AM

I'll probably try to grab one

tr0nix 12-07-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugelrex (Post 45686386)
How to HP employees 'log in' to ebay to identify themselves as employee? There there a login to EPP through ebay?

They probably have a private auction for them, and then public will go live shortly after.

Maddimus 12-07-2011 08:34 AM

I love my touchpad and webos is fantastic, I just wish they were supporting it. I'll definitely be trying to get some more on Sunday.

froggydukes 12-07-2011 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chemao (Post 45687330)
The joke's on you man. I've been running Cyanogenmod Android on mine for a couple of months and it's great. The rumors are they'll be releasing ICS for it in January. I have to admit you make no sense with the whole shutting it down thing, either. I never turn mine off, so I don't have to worry about waiting for it to boot. I do have to give you props for selling it for $239. You ripped that guy off for just a 16GB version.

yeah i sold my brand new 16gb or $230 on friday. was pretty happy with that lol

chemao 12-07-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gclc1216 (Post 45686838)
LOL? we share deals here so everyone can get it as well. problem is with those who buy more than enough or making $$ off this site.

Are you kidding? This site is ALL ABOUT making money...

bughill99 12-07-2011 08:36 AM

HP employees DON'T login to Ebay as an HP employee. They just simply had (as in "no longer have") an opportunity to purchase by being informed that they go on sale at 6pm PT, which is apparently just ahead of when the sale will be communicated to the public.

steppedinit 12-07-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggydukes (Post 45687350)
i have to agree i like the one year warranty on mine, cant imagine having only 90 days....they have so many problems, i havent had any yet (fingers crossed) but others have had them out of the box.

Almost all electronics that fail do so within the first 30 days. After that it's normally due to customer abuse (dropping, spills) whatever. Just burn in it.

bigugi 12-07-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chemao (Post 45687120)
Suck it up man, HP employees were soaking them up when they first went on sale, and don't give us all the crybaby about how you won't be able to buy 5 of them and then sell them on fleaBay to make a few bucks. You guys already get first dibs so what are you all butt hurt about? Beat it troll.

No we don't get first dibs. HP is supposed to release this information to the public the following day. So HP was giving employees a presale notice beforehand. You are only able to buy up to 2 touchpads anyway. So you beat it troll

luis702 12-07-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggydukes (Post 45687394)
yeah i sold my brand new 16gb or $230 on friday. was pretty happy with that lol

Sold my last new 16 gig for $230.00 and the last used 16gig with new case for $250.00

ps. MY white panda is so awesome :heart:

dragon_d 12-07-2011 08:37 AM

Hey does anyone know if the refurbished touchpads will be in a retail box

myamex 12-07-2011 08:38 AM

Quote:

The CM7 works but it does have a lot of bugs, sleep of death, sound issue, wifi issue. The reason to get a touchpad is to use WebOS. If you like CM7, you could have sold the touchpad for $200+ and get an Acer, or pay a little more for an Asus Transformer.

Time has changed. Android tablet is so cheap now. It makes to sense to get a touchpad for Android.

brokeandfamous 12-07-2011 08:39 AM

hmm ill try to get one for my girl...we shall see...

xivioz 12-07-2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luis702 (Post 45687094)
oh really I wonder why they rejected it ? lol

I think the reason they cited was "below cost", which I find kind of strange since I've never seen that reason for a rejected price match before. :)

batrada 12-07-2011 08:42 AM

remember to rep the OP (Stealth112)

initialddd 12-07-2011 08:42 AM

I really don't understand why anyone would buy this instead of a fire, nook tablet, iconia, transformer or a playbook.

The materials are cheap, os not supported and kind of slow.

umrdyldo 12-07-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myamex (Post 45687562)
The CM7 works but it does have a lot of bugs, sleep of death, sound issue, wifi issue. The reason to get a touchpad is to use WebOS. If you like CM7, you could have sold the touchpad for $200+ and get an Acer, or pay a little more for an Asus Transformer.

Time has changed. Android tablet is so cheap now. It makes to sense to get a touchpad for Android.

You are saying we should buy and sell the touchpad to run android? Please tell me what tablet has the same hardware specs and costs $200. I haven't found one yet. Most tablets in the 200 range are slower or smaller than a touchpad. Don't mention spending a little more because that's not what we are here for.

Bluekross 12-07-2011 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chemao (Post 45687598)
Wah boo hoo, yeah too bad for you the sale is fair, and you have to fight for one just like everyone else. Heaven forbid that! It definitely should be a biased sale just so you can snag up 10 of them and then post them online.

Really you little whiney b!@#$h, I can't believe you're caring about the conglomerate community more than the average joe community. You should be banned.

It's limit 2 per person. If anything, it was just a polite gesture towards the HP employees, I just wish they would have made it truly available to employees because the leak was bound to happen. What do you expect though with 300,000+ employees?

thegreatfixer 12-07-2011 08:42 AM

oh boy here we go again i was waiting for this

froggydukes 12-07-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steppedinit (Post 45687494)
Almost all electronics that fail do so within the first 30 days. After that it's normally due to customer abuse (dropping, spills) whatever. Just burn in it.

unfortunately tp's i think are different, cracks develop randomly at any given time...so id be weary

munkymonkjr 12-07-2011 08:43 AM

I am gonna be sitting on a cruise ship in San Juan cruise dock at the time. Hmm....

scnichol 12-07-2011 08:44 AM

Anyone know if HP is hiring...:bounce:

chemao 12-07-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

You're absolutely right that WebOS is incredibly elegant. I much preferred the interface, but face it, the touchpad is a lot of hardware for what you pay. Comparable items cost much more. Also, nobody else supports inductive charging, which alone is enogh reason for me to forego the others. My sound and Wifi works fine, and sleep of death hasn't happpened since I upgraded to Alpha 3. I've got 10GB of music on the device that streams over bluetooth to my stereo. I can sit at the sofa, grab it from the touchstone, and play anything I want. I've also got it set up over wifi to control my media center PC like a sexy remote control. I've also got several streaming video applications installed and my girlfriend watches movies on it all the time. For 150 bucks plus 80 for my two touchstones, I'm still well below a device with comparable specs.

theghoul 12-07-2011 08:45 AM

Here we go again!

froggydukes 12-07-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

i have to say that i really like the webos and i agree, if you want it JUST for android, do yourself a favor and buy an android, they are creeping down in price.....not saying i dont like the touchpad but i think if people give webos a fair shot, its really nice.

KCEngineer 12-07-2011 08:45 AM

just my luck, I just ended up getting one off of CL last week :-( . . . . but might pick up another one for the kids if I can be quick enough with my click :-)

cncfrost 12-07-2011 08:45 AM

Wow. Even people WITH the TP don't really brag about it much and still people go hysterical over this. Well, good luck to those who want one and are gonna use it...

weidbrewer 12-07-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggydukes (Post 45687788)
unfortunately tp's i think are different, cracks develop randomly at any given time...so id be weary

Mine (like others) cracked by the speakers where it rests on the Touchstone charger. Stupid design choice, but a few dabs of superglue and I was good to go.

MidTownHD 12-07-2011 08:45 AM

How good are these refurbished ones with 90-day warranty?

blackrain 12-07-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

I agree with you. There have been tons of deals over the holidays on the Thrive and Acer. Not sure why anyone would buy this for a buggy Android version. On the other hand, it might be worth the buy if you are betting on the bugs eventually being fixed. Just not sure how long that will be.

Wildo1 12-07-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

LOL... More like seconds

pwrbrkr 12-07-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloggs (Post 45687212)
Where can one find such a script ;)

that was in 2007 iirc. its been a long time so not sure the script even works now. but it wouldnt be hard to make one if someone was really inclined. that contest included $30k car so it was worth the effort i guess.

runIrish24 12-07-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by initialddd (Post 45687756)
I really don't understand why anyone would buy this instead of a fire, nook tablet, iconia, transformer or a playbook.

Good one troll.

If you are being serious when you are saying its materials are cheap and that a fire would be better then you sir are a moron,

fatcool 12-07-2011 08:47 AM

I dont need one now. But SUnday. may be..

jshriganesh 12-07-2011 08:47 AM

Thanks for the heads up

yarnim 12-07-2011 08:48 AM

crap I have an arrangement to sell my TPs tomorrow. Hope no news gets to him FUHRK guh. WHy WHY now WHY

froggydukes 12-07-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weidbrewer (Post 45687886)
Mine (like others) cracked by the speakers where it rests on the Touchstone charger. Stupid design choice, but a few dabs of superglue and I was good to go.

so you charge yours horizontal then?? do you think it was because of the charging? i charge mine vertically and its in the case...just wondering.

asaberan 12-07-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

I've been running CM7 for a couple of months and have installed it on two others for other people as well, and now I'm running the XRON version of CM. It has *slight* bugs, but I've never experienced sleep of death, any sound issues and my wifi stays connected and never drops unless I move too far from my router.

I'm trying to find my nephew a tablet and I'm having a hard time recommending anything but the Touchpad. Anything else, even used, with similar specs seems to be in the $300+ range, unless you were fast enough on Black Friday.

With Christmas coming, the Touchpads have risen in price on eBay.

DeathCab 12-07-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zack4290 (Post 45687288)
so much for employees getting a chance to grab one thanks dick

hehehe :bounce::bounce::bounce:

TopDealsDigger 12-07-2011 08:48 AM

Guess what the price would be like? Since they're refurbished, I guess the price would be $60 for 16GB and $99 for 32 GB.

hooha23 12-07-2011 08:49 AM

LOL @ the thumbs down to try to reduce the attention to the thread

xninjagrrl 12-07-2011 08:49 AM

Well, since pretty much all TP's need refurbing straight off the assembly line, a refurb'd TP may not be the worst idea ever. Until it breaks again.

Restless24 12-07-2011 08:50 AM

just. won't. die.

2Nice4U 12-07-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boss13 (Post 45685388)
LOL at this........but I guess if you didn't get one yet.....it might be your last chance. Loving CM7 dual boot.

Any significant issues with Android at all on that Touchpad?

xninjagrrl 12-07-2011 08:51 AM

With Christmas coming, the Touchpads have risen in price on eBay.[/QUOTE]

I dont get why as there have been great sales on tablets for around $200. As a TP owner, I would rather pay 200 for a Playbook than a TP. The only good deal on the TP was if you could snag one for firesale prices and use the HP coupon. Everything else is just an unwise purchase.

juzzaholic 12-07-2011 08:51 AM

How many units you guys think they will have in stock? <10, >10?

chemao 12-07-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluekross (Post 45687766)
It's limit 2 per person. If anything, it was just a polite gesture towards the HP employees, I just wish they would have made it truly available to employees because the leak was bound to happen. What do you expect though with 300,000+ employees?

EXACTLY you proved my point completely. Companies really don't give a damn about anyone that doesn't have a title starting with VP. Why should you have any loyalty at ALL to a company like that? Heck, I'm surprised there weren't thousands of posts at the same time by people that care more about Slickdeals than their own company. I know I don't care about my company. Times change man, there is no company loyalty in America any more. That's why we have sites like this and we stick with them as a community.

That's also why people that discount sharing on Slickdeals should just be banned. If you don't promote community sharing, then you don't belong here.

luis702 12-07-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juzzaholic (Post 45688142)

I don't know but I am in for one :) :pirate:

weidbrewer 12-07-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggydukes (Post 45688000)
so you charge yours horizontal then?? do you think it was because of the charging? i charge mine vertically and its in the case...just wondering.

Yes, horizontal...First, it displays the clock better and second, vertical just seemed so much more unstable to me and asking to get knocked over.

Also, yes, the crack lines are right to the inside of the speaker holes, right were the pressure from the stand is. Since I can't pin-point when it happened, I'm not sure if it was a repeated-stress crack, or just being set down a bit too vigorously one time.

Again, on mine, I consider it very mild, especially what I paid for it. Had I bought it full-price at launch? Yeah, I'd have been ticked.

myamex 12-07-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrdyldo (Post 45687764)
You are saying we should buy and sell the touchpad to run android? Please tell me what tablet has the same hardware specs and costs $200. I haven't found one yet. Most tablets in the 200 range are slower or smaller than a touchpad. Don't mention spending a little more because that's not what we are here for.

well, that's just personal preference. You can buy/keep whatever you like.
For me, the touchpad worths $230 and I would rather get the Acer Iconia from BB BF deal at the same price.

Hardware only matters when you have good software to go with it. CM7 for Touchpad is just half-baked and it's not comparable to Honeycomb or ICS.

chemao 12-07-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juzzaholic (Post 45688142)

Probably in the 10,000 range, assuming a failure rate of 1%.

jor8888 12-07-2011 08:55 AM

do they ask for employee # when buying from HP ebay?

ColonelMustard2 12-07-2011 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bughill99 (Post 45687472)
HP employees DON'T login to Ebay as an HP employee. They just simply had (as in "no longer have") an opportunity to purchase by being informed that they go on sale at 6pm PT, which is apparently just ahead of when the sale will be communicated to the public.

I can not believe that the only way HP could figure out how to offer these to employees was to send a "get there early" memo for a public eBay sale?!?!?! C'MON MAN!

Last I checked, HP had their own website/store. Seems there has to be many, many other ways to accomplish this if they really wanted to offer employees first dibs. Ex. make them available in the store again but only if you have a valid code. Send all employees a unique, one-time use code that's good for 1 day. Employees get their chance then after the presale, you release the rest to the awaiting hordes.

iggypop123 12-07-2011 08:56 AM

just need 1. hope they cap it to deter the hoarders from this site.

peoplesayucrazy 12-07-2011 08:56 AM

I am in houston, tx what time and date exactly ? I am confused with time?

Sheraz 12-07-2011 08:56 AM

what i want to know is if its easy to put in android on this thing. also is android stable? I keep searching from time to time and i really want to move to android on my touchpad. does anyone know of an easy way to do it?

HoT_NiKeL 12-07-2011 08:57 AM

With CM7 Alpha 3 on my touchpad, the only issue I have is sound cracking when the display is off. Other than that, it works perfect.. no SOD, no WiFi issues, 2-3 days on a single charge with moderate use.

I have no complaints.

ketamine 12-07-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcub (Post 45687284)
TouchPad is heavy & bulky - You may consider the Asus orPlaybook tablets.

Oh, the playbook, another nice DOA device. Besides, it's only 7" and looking at their sales#, there wont be any bigger screen PBs. :)

tornadog 12-07-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myamex (Post 45688258)
well, that's just personal preference. You can buy/keep whatever you like.
For me, the touchpad worths $230 and I would rather get the Acer Iconia from BB BF deal at the same price.

Hardware only matters when you have good software to go with it. CM7 for Touchpad is just half-baked and it's not comparable to Honeycomb or ICS.

I agree CM7 is just a terrible experience, I uninstalled it and went back to pure webOS, much nicer and stabler.

luis702 12-07-2011 08:58 AM

This is everywhere now even Meg Whitman and Lawson Just emailed me

Lawsonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

travfar 12-07-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xninjagrrl (Post 45688140)
I dont get why as there have been great sales on tablets for around $200. As a TP owner, I would rather pay 200 for a Playbook than a TP. The only good deal on the TP was if you could snag one for firesale prices and use the HP coupon. Everything else is just an unwise purchase.

As a TP and a Playbook owner. I rather pay $99 for my big screen TP than $160 for my tiny screen Playbook. The TP is also faster. They are both dead machines. The future is Android ports. The TP hardware is better.

pwrbrkr 12-07-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bughill99 (Post 45687472)

the question is, now that this has leaked here, will HP decide to actually list at 3pm CST and tell employees to check then while SDers keep thinking 6pm is the time.

cstu 12-07-2011 08:58 AM

Personally, I'd rather spend $99 on a Novo7 [techcrunch.com] that runs ICS, even if it is 7".

weidbrewer 12-07-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myamex (Post 45688258)
CM7 for Touchpad is just half-baked and it's not comparable to Honeycomb or ICS.

It's also not finished yet. I am not personally running it, but I think that bears mentioning. On one hand, buying a touchpad for Android right now isn't a recipe for happiness...when they finish it? Dunno.

It all depends on timing. If they get it straightened out soon, you'll have the best of both worlds between good hardware cheap and good, supported software to run on it. They wait too long, and the hardware world will have moved on. Already Asus has set the bar with quad-cores at less-than-iPad prices, so who knows what another few months will bring.

initialddd 12-07-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runIrish24 (Post 45687934)
Good one troll.

If you are being serious when you are saying its materials are cheap and that a fire would be better then you sir are a moron,

The fire has better hardware, is faster and is built on Android. your the toll. The Touchpad is made of cheap material. FACT.

If i would want a challenge to port android i would get a Playbook and try to port it. it is by far better quality.

kellysprnova 12-07-2011 09:00 AM

I so want one but I know this will sell out in an instant.Does anyone have that script that autobuys on ebay?

asaberan 12-07-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xninjagrrl (Post 45688140)

I was surprised at it myself. I bought mine during the firesale for $150. I would not pay $300+ for this device, like the 32's are going for on eBay, I would look to something else. But for the price I paid, it's perfect.

I wouldn't buy a Playbook for $150, I'll say that. That thing seems more useless than a Touchpad with WebOS.

HoT_NiKeL 12-07-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by initialddd (Post 45688528)
The fire has better hardware, is faster and is built on Android. your the toll. The Touchpad is made of cheap material. FACT.

If i would want a challenge to port android i would get a Playbook and try to port it. it is by far better quality.

Are either the Fire or Playbook $99?

Yosemity 12-07-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Well that joke enabled me to defray the $250 I paid for a Asus Transformer that I got from BestBuys the week before Black Friday. Makes it about a wash price wise. I guess the joke is that I now end up with a $400 Transformer for around $85 plus shipping costs. I'm laughing as type... Good luck with them rumors....

initialddd 12-07-2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travfar (Post 45688466)
As a TP and a Playbook owner. I rather pay $99 for my big screen TP than $160 for my tiny screen Playbook. The TP is also faster. They are both dead machines. The future is Android ports. The TP hardware is better.

Fact the Playbook is Faster
Fact the Playbook screen is better than the Touch pad.
FAct the Playbook is not a dead machine still supported. TP is dead. Also 2.0 will play android apps.

chipmonger 12-07-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidTownHD (Post 45687888)

If it's like my HP refurbished laptop, it'll be DOA.

bughill99 12-07-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColonelMustard2 (Post 45688328)
I can not believe that the only way HP could figure out how to offer these to employees was to send a "get there early" memo for a public eBay sale?!?!?! C'MON MAN!

Last I checked, HP had their own website/store. Seems there has to be many, many other ways to accomplish this if they really wanted to offer employees first dibs. Ex. make them available in the store again but only if you have a valid code. Send all employees a unique, one-time use code that's good for 1 day. Employees get their chance then after the presale, you release the rest to the awaiting hordes.

I agree, they could have done more if they WANTED to. Alas, they did not. My assumption is that they figure the "get there early" email is just barely enough to show the employees "look at us, we're thinking about our employees first". I work for HP and I don't really care as I was able to get one from CDW, but know some folks who would have liked a chance. Folks will say that employees don't deserve any special opportunities, but with the Touchpad fiasco, that might be the only raise any of us get this year.

BillyMays 12-07-2011 09:06 AM

and here we will go.............again

iggypop123 12-07-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asaberan (Post 45688592)
I was surprised at it myself. I bought mine during the firesale for $150. I would not pay $300+ for this device, like the 32's are going for on eBay, I would look to something else. But for the price I paid, it's perfect.

I wouldn't buy a Playbook for $150, I'll say that. That thing seems more useless than a Touchpad with WebOS.

most people dont come to this site dont root phones dont refresh all the time to see if there is deal. most of the people are flat out stupid and will just buy buy buy on urge.

Bluekross 12-07-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chemao (Post 45688160)
EXACTLY you proved my point completely. Companies really don't give a damn about anyone that doesn't have a title starting with VP. Why should you have any loyalty at ALL to a company like that? Heck, I'm surprised there weren't thousands of posts at the same time by people that care more about Slickdeals than their own company. I know I don't care about my company. Times change man, there is no company loyalty in America any more. That's why we have sites like this and we stick with them as a community.

That's also why people that discount sharing on Slickdeals should just be banned. If you don't promote community sharing, then you don't belong here.

I think the point of the original comment was that this information shouldn't have been posted in the first place as it was not meant for non-employees, and explicitly stated that it was an internal communication.

Funny though that your comments are so elitist towards SD, but you bash those who have an opposing opinion. It's really a moot point though -- no sense in calling for bans on other users.

Rollodo 12-07-2011 09:06 AM

Sorry for the long post, but I've just logged back in and found 8 more pages of this thread.
Quote:

Originally Posted by greymoose (Post 45686930)
You're= you are; your= possessive Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine. If you're going to insult someone, at least have the courtesy to do it with grammatical precision.:D

Same pet-peeve here.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Processing... (Post 45686882)

Amazon may be considering it - http://www.sys-con.com/node/2062957.
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxajay (Post 45686936)

I'm really not following this practice of buying things and then reselling them. I usually conduct a fair amount of research before I buy electronics, then use them, but not resell.
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackrain (Post 45687050)
Will I be able to purchase this via the ebay app?

Being a general listing, I think there should be no problem buying it via its own app.
Quote:

Originally Posted by slammedisuzu (Post 45687130)
No thanks. Had one, and ended up getting rid of it.
Good luck to all of those who are still trying to get one though.

Any particular reason for getting rid of it?
Quote:

Originally Posted by luis702 (Post 45687324)
True Sder talent if your able to score one :pirate:

I'll wait for greymoose on this one.
Quote:

Originally Posted by initialddd (Post 45687756)

How about a bigger display? Honestly, I'd tried the Fire and returned it because found its screen to be way too small for PDF's, and I think it'll be the same for most 7" tablets. You really have to pinch in every single page. I remember it wasn't so on iPads at all. I'd buy this over any any other 7", 8" or 9" tablet.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MidTownHD (Post 45687888)

Eh, just like any other product with 90-day warranty?

Sorry again for the multi-quotes.

manokcs89 12-07-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmartind (Post 45685152)

EXACTLY! :rolleyes:

psyctto 12-07-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tornadog (Post 45688444)
I agree CM7 is just a terrible experience, I uninstalled it and went back to pure webOS, much nicer and stabler.

now...
i'm not a fan of Android, or Android on the TP... i still believe in terms of OS (not Apps quantity), WebOS is head and shoulders above Android.
but, come on...

are you really ripping on an Alpha release of custom, open source, software??? REALLY???
from their site

"
Information
The HP Touchpad is still very ALPHA and as such, most of it isn’t working yet. Check our fourms out for latest info and release builds.
"
people have no idea what an Alpha is.
amazing.

bughill99 12-07-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwrbrkr (Post 45688470)
the question is, now that this has leaked here, will HP decide to actually list at 3pm CST and tell employees to check then while SDers keep thinking 6pm is the time.

Chances are slim to none.

oracledude 12-07-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjhook (Post 45686010)
lol at Meg Whitman, now HP CEO, using her former company to blow out the last few remaining Touchpads.

Good point. HP does not need to sell them through ebay they can just put it out there (and it would make it to slickdeals the same) and everyone would buy them from HP and they would avoid paying comission to ebay... something is fishy here

jdr36xbr 12-07-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by initialddd (Post 45688528)

The problem with the Fire for me is that I use my Touchpad and/or Nook Color to watch videos while travelling and the 5GB (give or take usable storage on the Fire) is too low for me. I cannot reliably rely on the cloud because there is no/expensive wireless on planes and bandwidth can be at a real premium in hotels. I need at least 16GB of storage so the Fire doesn't cut it for me.

I do love my Touchpad which still runs Webos but it is heavy. Around the house I find myself using the Nook Color with CM7 more because of its light weight and size. I generally prefer to travel with the Touchpad because even though it is heavier it does a better job of playing videos and the built in speakers are MUCH better than the Nook if you don't want to use headphones. My Touchpad did come from the factory with a defective USB cord which doesn't say much about their quality control but otherwise has been flawless.

catnapped 12-07-2011 09:10 AM

What's funny is the haters will be right there on Sunday trying to pick some off. :lol:

fpfighter 12-07-2011 09:10 AM

Dude this is so summer 2011.

wavesine 12-07-2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggydukes (Post 45687862)
i have to say that i really like the webos and i agree, if you want it JUST for android, do yourself a favor and buy an android, they are creeping down in price.....not saying i dont like the touchpad but i think if people give webos a fair shot, its really nice.

This is absolutely true. Unless you enjoy hacking, if you want to run Android, buy an Android tablet. The HP Touchpad is an elegant product but will always be a bastardized product in terms of Android support.

The reason Android upgrades take so long is that each manufacturer has to supply the drivers and custom software for their device. The Android OS does not have a built in driver database like Windows does. If it did, the OS would balloon and be too large for the limited resources of a tablet.

Cyanogen has done an admirable job but don't expect to install the CM7 Alpha and have seamless functionality.

davidbarnhart 12-07-2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manokcs89 (Post 45688850)

Probably because they already have one or don't need one or don't care if someone else gets one sooner. Tons of reasons.

Also, for those who day they are cheap or will be DOA, I don't see any facts backing up those statements. Just sayin....

These are great products and too bad HP has decided to make them end of life. Hopefully that decision will be reversed with the new HP management, but don't hold your breath. HP is known for quality products, however, these are thru an acquisition, but hopefully HP acquires great companies too. Let the sale begin and hope everyone is able to get a great christmas present!!!!

Repped.

nycdude 12-07-2011 09:12 AM

This should be interesting....

alf321 12-07-2011 09:12 AM

I don't get why so many people hate the Touchpad, and I also don't get why they are posting in this thread.... That's interesting.

Personally I had a gen1 iPad and sold it on Craiglist because of the price difference between the two. I don't mind WebOS, in fact I rather like it.

kellysprnova 12-07-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oracledude (Post 45688934)
Good point. HP does not need to sell them through ebay they can just put it out there (and it would make it to slickdeals the same) and everyone would buy them from HP and they would avoid paying comission to ebay... something is fishy here

I smell a decoy.While we are all over on ebay refreshing like mad people HP will have the real goods.The employees are trying to throw us off the scent.

weidbrewer 12-07-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psyctto (Post 45688880)
now...

are you really ripping on an Alpha release of custom, open source, software??? REALLY???

QFT right there.

peetsjunkie 12-07-2011 09:16 AM

Whatever Hp employee posted this is a loser.... WTF are you thinking..post it after the sale has gone live... F(#kin idiots...

xur17 12-07-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oracledude (Post 45688934)

Maybe they realized their online store would never survive another sale like the original Touchpad one...

res0a9mn 12-07-2011 09:17 AM

I'm sure these will go fast, but I'll try to get one.

Buckeyefan 1 12-07-2011 09:17 AM

I haven't even rooted my Nook Color's yet. Nice. Best these sell out in 5 seconds.

prasamin 12-07-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myamex (Post 45687126)

just the info i was looking for...thanks alot!

peetsjunkie 12-07-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manokcs89 (Post 45688850)

DOUCHEbaG! That's why hahah:D

ZeeLobby 12-07-2011 09:19 AM

Just picked up the 1st gen Asus Transformer from Best Buy on Black Friday for $250. I've used both and I have to say it would be much smarter just to wait for the 1st gen tablets to be discontinued. There were much better options than the TP, especially refurbed.

cwell 12-07-2011 09:20 AM

I can't wait for this. thanks.

richinlife 12-07-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellysprnova (Post 45689100)
I smell a decoy.While we are all over on ebay refreshing like mad people HP will have the real goods.The employees are trying to throw us off the scent.

Maybe HP doesn't want their site to get hammered again. Dump the refurbs on eBay and leave their web site up to sell the hardware they actually support and make money on.

Thrak410 12-07-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Thats mostly been all fixed in Alpha3... no SOD since I updated and I got it often with A2... also if you set your wifi to channel 4 it will be 100% solid...

travfar 12-07-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by initialddd (Post 45688714)
FAct the Playbook is not a dead machine still supported. TP is dead. Also 2.0 will play android apps.

The Playbook is faster? The Playbook uses a OMAP4430 CPU. The TP a APQ8060. Benchmarks on either of these tablets are not that readily available but luckily the same CPUs are used in other devices.

The linpack numbers for the OMAP4430 are 44 single, 65 multi.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/491...h-4g-lte/7

The linpack numbers for the APQ8060 are 51 single, 82 multi.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/0...hd-review/

So how is the Playbook faster? So much for your "facts".

tornadog 12-07-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psyctto (Post 45688880)
now...
i'm not a fan of Android, or Android on the TP... i still believe in terms of OS (not Apps quantity), WebOS is head and shoulders above Android.
but, come on...

from their site

"
Information
The HP Touchpad is still very ALPHA and as such, most of it isn’t working yet. Check our fourms out for latest info and release builds.
"
people have no idea what an Alpha is.
amazing.

I know what an alpha is. I just said in its current state its not worth installing. I was just posting because I see lot of people getting the touchpad just to put cm7 on it, and they are likely to be disappointed witht he result.

totalundone 12-07-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by initialddd (Post 45688714)

Faster? (Link [anandtech.com])
Dual 1.0 ghz chip vs dual 1.5 ghz chip (everyone who owns one is updating the kernel to support 1.5). The GPU/CPU graphical performance in the TP at 1.5ghz is ~40% greater than the SGX540 at 1.0ghz (anandtech comparison).

Better Screen?
10" IPS screen w/ 10 point multitouch vs 7" TFT screen?

OS
At least webos can show native emails, calendars and flash...
If we want to talk about what's in the pipeline.. yeah, 2.0 will fix the glaring email issue and play android apps. TP can run Android...

oracledude 12-07-2011 09:23 AM

I like my Touchpad, i wish there were more apps for it so eventually will migrate to Android when the port matures until then WebOs is just fine.

spongebobfl 12-07-2011 09:23 AM

If you are on a budget I would look at a Nook for the Fire - ~199 for something that is still supported.

froggydukes 12-07-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weidbrewer (Post 45688240)
Yes, horizontal...First, it displays the clock better and second, vertical just seemed so much more unstable to me and asking to get knocked over.

Also, yes, the crack lines are right to the inside of the speaker holes, right were the pressure from the stand is. Since I can't pin-point when it happened, I'm not sure if it was a repeated-stress crack, or just being set down a bit too vigorously one time.

Again, on mine, I consider it very mild, especially what I paid for it. Had I bought it full-price at launch? Yeah, I'd have been ticked.

ok good to know!..i do my vertical but its up against the wall where i have it dont think ill knock it down ...ill hacve to check out the clock in horizontal mode

maciejkoziol 12-07-2011 09:25 AM

I had a touchpad and sold it. Didn't like it, camera was terrible, I do talk a lot on skype, soit wasn't really for me. I bought Iconia and love it.

weidbrewer 12-07-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froggydukes (Post 45689578)
ok good to know!..i do my vertical but its up against the wall where i have it dont think ill knock it down ...ill hacve to check out the clock in horizontal mode

Note: I use the Star Trek LCARS clock. :D

But, basically, it comes down to center of gravity in the vertical vs horizontal, and even though it's out of the way, I have a lab as well as a husky puppy - so I minimize risks where-ever I can.