Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Verizon Galaxy Nexus Owners - How to Install Google Wallet +$10 Free!!! (http://slickdeals.net/f/3728336-verizon-galaxy-nexus-owners-how-to-install-google-wallet-10-free)

pakman134 12-18-2011 12:27 AM

Verizon Galaxy Nexus Owners - How to Install Google Wallet +$10 Free!!!

For those of you that just picked up the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus, someone at XDA has posted the Google Wallet APK which works on our phones! This allows you to use the NFC chip in your phone and make payments at Mastercard Paypass locations by tapping your phone at the payment terminals. After setting up the app you will get a free $10 preloaded on your account to use at participating merchants!

There have been multiple reports of users successfully using this app to make NFC payments but note that Verizon will not support this app and some users are reporting stability issues, so proceed at your own risk. Many of the stability issues seem to be from users who have rooted phones w/ custom ROMs. It is recommended that you use the Stock ICS 4.0.2 before installing the app. Your phone does not have to be rooted for this to work. If you're willing to wait, I believe Verizon plans to eventually release its own NFC Payment (Isis) app.

Instructions:
  1. On your phone, first go to settings-->security-->check "Unknown sources" to allow installation of non-market apps.
  2. Download the Google Wallet APK and install on your phone from either of these two links:
    Link 1 (Hosted by Lukegb from XDA Forums) [lukegb.com]
    Link 2 (Megaupload) [megaupload.com]
  3. Add Google Prepaid Card to receive free $10.
  4. Find a location that accepts NFC payments: http://www.google.com/wallet/where-it-works.html
  5. Tap your phone at the payment terminal.

For now Google is offering this as a free service, but this may change in the future. You do not need a mastercard to use this and can preload your Google Wallet using most credit cards.

From google's website:
Quote:

"The Google Wallet mobile app makes your phone your wallet. It securely stores your credit cards and offers on your phone. When you check out at brick-and-mortar stores that accept Google Wallet, you can pay and redeem offers quickly just by tapping your phone at the point of sale."
Paypass Location App
https://market.android.com/detail...eXBhc3MiXQ..
Google FAQ:
http://www.google.com/wallet/faq.html#in-store
Manage your Google Wallet Account:
https://wallet.google.com/manage
Discussion going on at XDA Forums:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/s...?t=1365360

I am not taking credit for any of this, simply wanted to inform the slickdeals community. I know past posts have been made which mention the free $10 from Google Wallet, but I thought this was worthy of a new post since it provides Verizon Galaxy Nexus users a way to use this feature on their phones. Hopefully this helps some of you out.

wikipost 12-18-2011 12:27 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

Any chance this will work on Nexus S?
Because it has NFC

Disturbed_One 12-18-2011 12:33 AM

Now if only I had a Galaxy Nexus D:

Jughead 12-18-2011 08:10 AM

I did the long version of installing Wallet on Friday. I was able to use the promo $10 in 3 transactions at CVS yesterday. The only way it would work is if I had the Wallet app opened and already input my 4 digit pin to get in. The payment terminal would beep (my phone would say wallet experienced an error) but then my receipt would print out.

My last transaction I had $1.30 left on the pre-paid card and my total was above $10. It beeped and subtracted the $1.30 and their registered just asked for the remaining balance so basically it works like a prepaid debit card.

FYI I have a TPU case on my wife's phone and it works just fine with the case on it.

pakman134 12-18-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead (Post 46124214)
I did the long version of installing Wallet on Friday. I was able to use the promo $10 in 3 transactions at CVS yesterday. The only way it would work is if I had the Wallet app opened and already input my 4 digit pin to get in. The payment terminal would beep (my phone would say wallet experienced an error) but then my receipt would print out.

My last transaction I had $1.30 left on the pre-paid card and my total was above $10. It beeped and subtracted the $1.30 and their registered just asked for the remaining balance so basically it works like a prepaid debit card.

FYI I have a TPU case on my wife's phone and it works just fine with the case on it.

Thanks for reporting, I haven't had a chance to try mine yet. I'll report back if I end up running into any issues. It seems like there are still a few bugs, although I've read reports of no issues at all. Curious whats causing it to work flawlessly for some while others are having problems. Have you tried your phone at another payment terminal/location? I wonder if it might be the specific paypass terminal causing the "error" messages. I suppose your issues is not a big deal though as the actual payment goes through.

detrlions 12-18-2011 11:17 AM

Any idea if this will work on the Nexus S?

detrlions 12-18-2011 11:27 AM

FYI - This deal is available by downloading the Google Wallet App in the market. I just downloaded it and it gave me the $10.00 free.

ibnuts 12-18-2011 01:04 PM

I can't believe Google caved on this. They should have given it to Sprint instead. So much for it being a Nexus phone.

pakman134 12-18-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detrlions (Post 46128404)

If you have the Sprint Nexus 4G you can just download it from the market. If not, I'm not sure if this particular APK will work but I think I read one or two reports of those with a Nexus S reporting success. To be safe I would would check out the thread which is dedicated to Google Wallet on your particular phone:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/s...?t=1311072

Quote:

Originally Posted by detrlions (Post 46128658)
FYI - This deal is available by downloading the Google Wallet App in the market. I just downloaded it and it gave me the $10.00 free.

I am guessing you are downloading on a Nexus S 4G from Sprint?

Google Wallet is not available in the market on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. But yep, you do get the free $10 offer regardless of which device you're installing it on.

pakman134 12-18-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibnuts (Post 46130750)
I can't believe Google caved on this. They should have given it to Sprint instead. So much for it being a Nexus phone.

I'm not sure if Google caved, as opposed to someone just took an APK off a working phone and it ended up working on the Galaxy Nexus. Also I believe it is Verizon who did not want this app loaded on the Galaxy Nexus, so not sure what you mean by "Google caved on this". Doesn't the sprint Nexus S 4G already have Google Wallet in the market?

legendtuner 12-18-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pakman134 (Post 46136142)
I'm not sure if Google caved, as opposed to someone just took an APK off a working phone and it ended up working on the Galaxy Nexus. Also I believe it is Verizon who did not want this app loaded on the Galaxy Nexus, so not sure what you mean by "Google caved on this". Doesn't the sprint Nexus S 4G already have Google Wallet in the market?

I think he meant that Google caved by letting Verizon block them from including it or allowing it for the Galaxy Nexus. It is a valid point because Nexus phones are not supposed to be tampered by the carrier. However I'm glad it didn't go to sprint because I have verizon.

heiNey 12-18-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detrlions (Post 46128658)

thats weird, i dont see google wallet in my market

legendtuner 12-18-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heiNey (Post 46142512)
thats weird, i dont see google wallet in my market

Google wallet is only available for the Nexus S in the market. I already check with my Galaxy Nexus on my pc and it says it's not compatible. If you have a Galaxy Nexus you have to install from the apk in the op.

blast3d 12-18-2011 09:38 PM

i thought this phone is available on every network

Nicker 12-18-2011 09:38 PM

Verizon and others are going to market their own 'wallet' program.

They want to axe the competition.

pr1nyc1 12-18-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detrlions (Post 46128404)

For the 4G version, an automatic OS update will occur to 2.3.7. If you have the original Nexus S, youll have to probably have to manually install.

farmeronthedell 12-18-2011 10:59 PM

I downloaded this last night, and it does give you 10 bucks, Verizon blocked this, not Google. Big Red wants to kill off anything that gets in the way of profits for them. So this is basically a spit in the face that 3 days after the release of the Galaxy Nexus, non rooted users could put this on their devices, I am sure Google is laughing about it, and Verizon is planning it's next move. But for now, thanks and repped!

deuce271 12-19-2011 03:34 AM

I downloaded this and got it all set up but I don't see the $10 credit on my transactions. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Marthisdil 12-19-2011 03:56 AM

So, have they fixed the "problem of all the card numbers being stored in plaintext yet?

Andrew025 12-19-2011 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce271 (Post 46147902)
I downloaded this and got it all set up but I don't see the $10 credit on my transactions. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Did you add the google prepaid card? It will show up after you do that.

OCedHrt 12-19-2011 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legendtuner (Post 46142330)
I think he meant that Google caved by letting Verizon block them from including it or allowing it for the Galaxy Nexus. It is a valid point because Nexus phones are not supposed to be tampered by the carrier. However I'm glad it didn't go to sprint because I have verizon.

The Galaxy Nexus also does not allow tethering without a subscription. More tampering by Verizon.

Andrew025 12-19-2011 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCedHrt (Post 46148232)
The Galaxy Nexus also does not allow tethering without a subscription. More tampering by Verizon.

I'm honestly not worried about what Verizon has done to it. The community will eventually get rid of everything Verizon anyway.

pmhesse 12-19-2011 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew025 (Post 46148384)
I'm honestly not worried about what Verizon has done to it. The community will eventually get rid of everything Verizon anyway.

Not bloody likely. Who else is offering 4G speeds like they are? My Galaxy Nexus clocked in yesterday with a 16+mbps download and 8+mbps upload. With 2 bars of signal. Verizon will continue to use its dominant position in network size, scope, and speed to its advantage wherever it can.

Fear not, though, you can already root, and Cyanogen 9 will be out for it soon enough.

Andrew025 12-19-2011 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmhesse (Post 46148466)
Not bloody likely. Who else is offering 4G speeds like they are? My Galaxy Nexus clocked in yesterday with a 16+mbps download and 8+mbps upload. With 2 bars of signal. Verizon will continue to use its dominant position in network size, scope, and speed to its advantage wherever it can.

Fear not, though, you can already root, and Cyanogen 9 will be out for it soon enough.

I didn't mean get rid of verizon as a network... I meant the crap they put on/did to the phone.

deuce271 12-19-2011 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew025 (Post 46148116)
Did you add the google prepaid card? It will show up after you do that.

Forgot to do that. That did the trick. Thank you/Repped.

The.Dude 12-19-2011 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthisdil (Post 46148032)
So, have they fixed the "problem of all the card numbers being stored in plaintext yet?

Only the last 4 digits are stored in plain (while your real wallet has ALL digits stored in an unencrypted form ;)), so it's a moot point.

mbs17 12-19-2011 05:43 AM

thanks op worked perfectly!!

micro23 12-19-2011 06:10 AM

If your worried about tethering don't be :) It's already been hacked and works great! APK included.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13108/wif...pre110.apk

Only a few minor glitches right now. A perfect version should be up soon. But for now it works great!

deuce271 12-19-2011 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micro23 (Post 46149716)
If your worried about tethering don't be :) It's already been hacked and works great! APK included.

Only a few minor glitches right now. A perfect version should be up soon. But for now it works great!

I installed it and got kernel errors and other errors when I tried to start tethering. Is there something else you need or need to do when you install this?

micro23 12-19-2011 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce271 (Post 46149940)
I installed it and got kernel errors and other errors when I tried to start tethering. Is there something else you need or need to do when you install this?

Make sure you choose Galaxy Nexus LTE in the Device Profile Also you must be rooted.

prismx 12-19-2011 06:37 AM

Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether by SVTP works fantastic for my Nexus. Oh and NO ROOT needed for this to work.

micro23 12-19-2011 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prismx (Post 46150282)
Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether by SVTP works fantastic for my Nexus. Oh and NO ROOT needed for this to work.

Unfortunately USB Tether is a paid app. If you have some way to get that for free I would be happy to know!

Andrew025 12-19-2011 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micro23 (Post 46150322)
Unfortunately USB Tether is a paid app. If you have some way to get that for free I would be happy to know!

I'm sure it's on 4shared... I usually pay for apps I use a lot though.

prismx 12-19-2011 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micro23 (Post 46150322)

I think a $9.99 is pretty slick without having to worry about rooting or paying the $30 a month to Verizon. Not claiming it being THE BEST thing. But I have been using it and it works fantastic. Was worth the purchase for the zero hassle.

xupru 12-19-2011 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce271 (Post 46149940)

Quote:

Originally Posted by prismx (Post 46150282)

Is this the SVTP Hotspot that you're talking about? This would help me a lot since I'm currently using the 70 Dollar 12 gb Hotspot plan, would be nice to go down to the 10 gb 50 dollar.

Also, is anyone experiencing issues with their Hotspot? like IP related etc.? I'm not experienced in this regard, so I spent a hour and half trying to get my hotspot to work last night, whereas with the RAZR, I pressed the choice, waited 1 minutes and it worked. I've noticed for both phones that even when it works, the signal will come up instantly, but won't be usable and have a limited access label, and after a minute or two of being limited access, it'll actually start working, anyone understand this? Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by micro23 (Post 46149716)

Not sure how to merge double posts since I quoted the wrong person in the above post. But this is the link I was talking about

deuce271 12-19-2011 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micro23 (Post 46150154)
Make sure you choose Galaxy Nexus LTE in the Device Profile Also you must be rooted.

Yep, I'm not rooted yet. I wanted to make sure I had no issues with my phone before I go void the warranty.

demarco2 12-19-2011 09:07 AM

Initializing

I am not rooted and when I install the APK sometimes it will load and just sit at initializing and never get past that. Other times it will open and force close. Has anyone had this problem and able to fix it? I have also factory reset the phone and gotten the same results. Also when I go into settings the settings will freeze when i click the button to try and get to where I can turn on NFC.

Thanks.

Andrew025 12-19-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demarco2 (Post 46155048)
I am not rooted and when I install the APK sometimes it will load and just sit at initializing and never get past that. Other times it will open and force close. Has anyone had this problem and able to fix it? I have also factory reset the phone and gotten the same results. Also when I go into settings the settings will freeze when i click the button to try and get to where I can turn on NFC.

Thanks.

Did you install the update? You should be on version 4.0.2 if you aren't already.

demarco2 12-19-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew025 (Post 46155494)
Did you install the update? You should be on version 4.0.2 if you aren't already.

Yep. I am on 4.0.2. Any other ideas?

Andrew025 12-19-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demarco2 (Post 46155606)
Yep. I am on 4.0.2. Any other ideas?

You already said you did a factory reset... so I'm not sure what else you can try. Maybe do another? lol

digivation 12-19-2011 03:34 PM

Thanks! Worked perfectly... now to find something to buy...

just FYI, haven't started messing with the phone yet, so running stock 4.0.2 (Upgraded OTA from 4.0.1 shipping).

cwing 12-19-2011 04:32 PM

Shame on Verizon Wireless and VIVA GOOGLE WALLET!!!

ha-evolution 12-19-2011 06:52 PM

Hey at least we got a Nexus phone on Verizon....didn't think that was ever going to happen.

Dave30 12-19-2011 07:03 PM

Just spent hrs trying to get it to work on my htc evo 4g... Then I realized it doesn't have a nfc chip... fail!

ha-evolution 12-19-2011 08:31 PM

Just installed on my Verizon GN thanks!

pakman134 12-19-2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibnuts (Post 46130750)

Quote:

Originally Posted by legendtuner (Post 46142330)

Hah that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying, sometimes i'm an idiot and just can't comprehend simple statements =p.

rossruns 12-20-2011 11:30 AM

Just installed and got my $10 free money. Will try this out for paying for something soon. Thanks, and repped!

Munchdog 12-20-2011 03:55 PM

Installed, but how do I verify the $10 was added?

TIA

djn1ght 12-20-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchdog (Post 46208084)
Installed, but how do I verify the $10 was added?

TIA

On your phone you have to click on the "Add Google Prepaid Card". Then $10 will show up.

I used this today at Meijer and it was so bad-a! The guy at the register was like "DID YOU JUST PAY WITH YOUR PHONE?!?!"

Munchdog 12-20-2011 06:01 PM

Awesome, thanks!

Makana 12-21-2011 11:27 PM

I installed wallet on my GSM T-Mobile Nexus S, Icon is there, but when I try and run it it tells me I can't use it on this device.. any way around that? +4 rep points if you can help me out! :)

bigalpoulos 12-21-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makana (Post 46256610)
I installed wallet on my GSM T-Mobile Nexus S, Icon is there, but when I try and run it it tells me I can't use it on this device.. any way around that? +4 rep points if you can help me out! :)

does the nexus S have NFT?

Makana 12-21-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigalpoulos (Post 46256634)
does the nexus S have NFT?

Nexus S was the first Google phone with NFC. so yes.

I just got Android ICS 4.03 on my nexus S gsm 2 days ago. then it let me install google wallet, but i need to find a way to run it,

grim64131 12-21-2011 11:33 PM

just did it also, got my $10...gonna try to find a place to use it tomorrow

bigalpoulos 12-21-2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Makana (Post 46256670)
Nexus S was the first Google phone with NFC. so yes.

I just got Android ICS 4.03 on my nexus S gsm 2 days ago. then it let me install google wallet, but i need to find a way to run it,

from what I read without a flash to a different rom you are sol

UWPVIOLATOR 12-24-2011 05:49 AM

Worked on my Verizon Galaxy Neuxs!!!!!!!!!!

ZeeOhhSix 01-03-2012 09:52 AM

Update: Yes, the free $10 is still available as of 1/3/2011.

is this still working?

lazeekat 01-10-2012 09:57 PM

Just installed the Google Wallet apk from OP and confirmed the $10 credit is still available as of 1/10.

Kammander 01-11-2012 02:27 PM

Still working as of 1/11. Great!

Tips: Visit the website given in the description through your phone and download it from there.

coweater 01-28-2012 01:16 AM

Does this require cell service? I already got my $10, but I'm not activating for another month so I don't want to walk in and find out it's no good.

Mako1215 01-28-2012 02:00 AM

Works as of 1/28

Quote:

Originally Posted by coweater (Post 47241550)
Does this require cell service? I already got my $10, but I'm not activating for another month so I don't want to walk in and find out it's no good.

I would think it requires some type of data.

ekkyzig 02-02-2012 07:25 AM

Works today.

volfan1978 02-03-2012 06:45 AM

Not only does this still work, but you can install it from the market now without an unlocked bootloader or without being rooted. It takes a little effort though...check out http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02...axy-nexus/ for instructions.