Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   H&R Block Deluxe and CA antivirus for Free (http://slickdeals.net/f/3848456-h-r-block-deluxe-and-ca-antivirus-for-free)

raven70 01-20-2012 01:09 PM

H&R Block Deluxe and CA antivirus for Free

Slightly different than last year's offer (remember $.01). Download CA Anti-virus Plus Anti-Spyware [ca.com] for Free.

You will receive the key code for the H&R Block software AFTER you install and register the CA software with automatic renewal.

Once the product loads, open and click the Activate button in the upper right corner. You have to provide a credit card to qualify for free 6-month trial. When your subscription is nearing the end, you will receive an email reminder. You can cancel your subscription at any time prior.

You will then see the product is activated (I did this with the same log in as last year and it worked). You will get an email with CA license info. But no H&R Block. . .

DONT PANIC!!!!

About 2 min later, you will get an email from TD <Noreply@TotalDefense.com>

Thank you for your recent Total Defense purchase. As promised, please find your H&R Block at Home Deluxe software below.

Includes download link and E-file code. . .

Don't forget to uninstall CA and kill the subscription.

NOTE: DOES NOT INCLUDE STATE

wikipost 01-20-2012 01:09 PM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ba770 (Post 47076886)
FYI: you can install states for free by running the following command.

Code:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\HRBlock2011\Program\HRBlockSWmgr.exe"/free http://version.taxcut.com/purchase/2011/win/ny/HRBlockNY.exe
Adjust the install path and state abbreviations as appropriate.

The code above is case sensitive, adjust it with that in mind, else it will not work.

Download this instead. It comes with state.
http://goo.gl/5adTU

Edit: deal still alive as of 2/2, note when modifying URL for state, 1st occurrence is lower case and 2nd is upper case so in quoted path from ba770 at the top of wiki, where it says ny, make sure your state abbreviation is lower case and where it says NY, put your state abbreviation in upper case. Obvious but I missed it until fixing that way.

02/03/2012 update - deal still alive as of 1:06 am. I have to use a different email address, as oppose to the same email address I registered last year. Within seconds I received the efile code in the new email inbox. I tested by installing on a VirtualBox vm and everything worked out fine.
XP Users should use this, notice without the x86.
Code:

"c:\Program Files\HRBlock2011\Program\HRBlockSWmgr.exe"/free http://version.taxcut.com/purchase/2011/win/ny/HRBlockNY.exe

hooha23 01-20-2012 01:10 PM

YES!!!!!!!

....kinda

says it doesnt include state, but i think it said that last year too, and it included one download. NOT a state e-file, but I dont think anyone does.

Boost_addict 01-20-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooha23 (Post 47043650)
YES!!!!!!!
....kinda

says it doesnt include state, but i think it said that last year.

It did include state last year. I believe you can buy state separately after you get the H&R software installed? Is it around $15? If so thats still a hot deal...

hooha23 01-20-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boost_addict (Post 47043800)
It did include state last year. I believe you can buy state separately after you get the H&R software installed? Is it around $15? If so thats still a hot deal...

I just used the free state download to calculate my state return then went to the louisiana department of revenues website and did it there for free. Just make sure the numbers agree.

bruhaha1234 01-20-2012 01:17 PM

it looks like it includes state? maybe just not e-file of state.

http://shop.ca.com/ca/products/ot...k_2012.asp

FrozenDarkness 01-20-2012 01:17 PM

Seems to be a bit more complicated than last year. Can you buy multiples?

fyu 01-20-2012 01:18 PM

and this is why virtual machines are awesome.

YellowFellow 01-20-2012 01:24 PM

lol just kinda curious if this AV is any good?

gumburgerler 01-20-2012 01:37 PM

Looks like Mac users are out of luck....

eliteconcept 01-20-2012 01:49 PM

sweet.

premnarayandas 01-20-2012 02:03 PM

I have got the deal and you have to buy state for 36.95 each

aunghtain 01-20-2012 02:06 PM

Can anyone confirm that you can prepare state, but efile for extra?

eliteconcept 01-20-2012 02:07 PM

do you mean you have to buy state e-file or you have to buy the abliity to do state filing even if you postal service mail them in

nodreamer 01-20-2012 02:22 PM

How easy is it to cancel the subscription? Can it be done online?

elsnerma 01-20-2012 02:22 PM

May be a dumb question, but can you cancel via CA's site or do you have to call in to cancel?

latad1285 01-20-2012 02:43 PM

State included?

Can anyone confirm if the state software is included in this deal? I know state e-file is not included. I just need to know if I can prepare my state taxes with it.

alfalfa19 01-20-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by premnarayandas (Post 47045306)
I have got the deal and you have to buy state for 36.95 each

Yes, I will pay 36.95 for only the state version of this software. I will do it later this afternoon. And shortly after that , monkeys will fly out of my butt.

peppermint 01-20-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu (Post 47043886)
and this is why virtual machines are awesome.

I am running Vista, can you please tell me how to go about setting up a virtual machine temporarily?

thanks

beldar3648 01-20-2012 02:46 PM

I got this same deal last year along with the TurboTax deal. Guess I'll get it again and see which one works better. I think TurboTax worked better for me last year but doesn't hurt to use both.

ericfw 01-20-2012 02:54 PM

What kind of TurboTax deal did you get last year?

Quote:

Originally Posted by beldar3648 (Post 47046408)
I got this same deal last year along with the TurboTax deal. Guess I'll get it again and see which one works better. I think TurboTax worked better for me last year but doesn't hurt to use both.

kgkg 01-20-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beldar3648 (Post 47046408)

Why did Turbo Tax works better for you? Can you elaborate? I am deciding whether to use Turbo or H&R Block. Thanks!

boosterjm 01-20-2012 02:56 PM

Is there any way to avoid installation but just provide cc info and get this offer?

Zzyxxe 01-20-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunghtain (Post 47045396)
Can anyone confirm that you can prepare state, but efile for extra?

I just installed it. It does not include state. "Each state program costs $36.95". It's not just no state e-file, it's no state software at all. Federal only.

delobom 01-20-2012 03:04 PM

last year state was included. Its not worth for free if you have to pay 36.95 for state and hopefully then extra for state efile. So its NOT BACK like last year

RVD26 01-20-2012 03:08 PM

Thanks OP.
We don't have state income tax here in TX (thank God) so this is all I need.

Oreoflow 01-20-2012 03:09 PM

Is it possible to use this deal but them somehow upgrade to Premium (for a small additional cost)?

warsaws 01-20-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delobom (Post 47046824)
last year state was included. Its not worth for free if you have to pay 36.95 for state and hopefully then extra for state efile. So its NOT BACK like last year

Go get 'em tiger !!

tennispro 01-20-2012 03:15 PM

thanks & repped

gumby8024 01-20-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVD26 (Post 47046924)
Thanks OP.

Lucky! I hate filing taxes. :vomit: One less to file would be awesome.

warsaws 01-20-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medcee (Post 47047130)

then move.

delobom 01-20-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warsaws (Post 47047018)
Go get 'em tiger !!

I was just commenting on OP's title "Its Back". Anyways, good deal for those who don't need state

RichieRich 01-20-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medcee (Post 47047130)

Agreed with warsaws ;)

Too bad not like last year.. amazon deal for 20 is still the best with state.. those not needing state, this will work for you!

Thanks op for the effort.

warsaws 01-20-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raven70 (Post 47043598)

DONT PANIC!!!!

Thank God for this part. I was about to have a heart attack...

Boost_addict 01-20-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieRich (Post 47047230)
Agreed with warsaws ;)

Too bad not like last year.. amazon deal for 20 is still the best with state.. those not needing state, this will work for you!

The $20 Amazon deal is dead though isn't it?

RVD26 01-20-2012 03:46 PM

It's asking me to uninstall Malware Bytes in order to continue with the installation.
Anyone else getting this?
I'm not about to uninstall a damn thing....

Deal-Collector 01-20-2012 03:57 PM

It conflicts with existing malware and AV protection. So You cant uninstall until you remove the existing ones. any suggestions? I know people are talking about setting VM...how do I do that

msgsilver 01-20-2012 03:59 PM

be caREFUL they charged me last time, but i think after few months

drew2money 01-20-2012 04:09 PM

What is with you people. The page says H&R Block at Home™
Deluxe Tax Software Federal + State. and it says at the bottom: Upon installation of your Total Defense software you will receive a download link and license key for your H&R Block Tax Software via email....So I would call and tell them you expected the state was include...

jon_laura5 01-20-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgsilver (Post 47048094)

You are the only person that I ever heard was charged from the deal last year. Did you not cancel properly? I believe last year you had to cancel via an account each of us set up on their website. Anyway, I was never charged.

Zzyxxe 01-20-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgsilver (Post 47048094)

Don't forget to cancel your 6 month subscription!
https://home3.ca.com/ContinuousPr...ncels.aspx

carmen617 01-20-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon_laura5 (Post 47048316)
You are the only person that I ever heard was charged from the deal last year. Did you not cancel properly? I believe last year you had to cancel via an account each of us set up on their website. Anyway, I was never charged.

I got charged too, and I had cancelled properly. I had a copy of my cancellation confirmation, which I had done promptly after installing the tax software.

I had to track down a customer service number to get a refund, which was NOT AT ALL EASY - as a matter of fact it was so difficult that I believe their website forum is full of threads from people asking how to actually contact customer service.

Once I reached a customer service rep she was very helpful, cancelled my renewal, and processed a refund which took about 6 weeks to clear my credit card.

Be careful, keep records - just saying . . .

Oh and the antivirus is real crap.

dr4gon 01-20-2012 04:31 PM

I tried so many times, it wouldn't let me register... I give up.

Rono 01-20-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr4gon (Post 47048780)
I tried so many times, it wouldn't let me register... I give up.

same here, saying my credit card is invalid, tried 3 different ones

warsaws 01-20-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmen617 (Post 47048434)
I got charged too, and I had cancelled properly. I had a copy of my cancellation confirmation, which I had done promptly after installing the tax software.

I had to track down a customer service number to get a refund, which was NOT AT ALL EASY - as a matter of fact it was so difficult that I believe their website forum is full of threads from people asking how to actually contact customer service.

Once I reached a customer service rep she was very helpful, cancelled my renewal, and processed a refund which took about 6 weeks to clear my credit card.

I thought everyone was using one time use credit cards. Is that not the case?

ericfw 01-20-2012 04:53 PM

TurboTax has a lot more financial institutions you can download the tax info (interest, dividend, stock tradings, etc.), which will save you lot of time if you have several of them to report.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgkg (Post 47046644)
Why did Turbo Tax works better for you? Can you elaborate? I am deciding whether to use Turbo or H&R Block. Thanks!

Zzyxxe 01-20-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew2money (Post 47048288)
What is with you people. The page says H&R Block at Home™
Deluxe Tax Software Federal + State. and it says at the bottom: Upon installation of your Total Defense software you will receive a download link and license key for your H&R Block Tax Software via email....So I would call and tell them you expected the state was include...

I chatted with an Indian chap from customer support. He said "at this time we have the H&R Block - Federal Only link and you have to wait for couple of days for Federal + State. Once we get the link we will get back to you. Once we get the update we will call you or email you the link".

I'm not sure how he'll "call" me the link, but it looks like I'll get TaxCut Deluxe State+Federal in a few days.

tvdang7 01-20-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVD26 (Post 47046924)
Thanks OP.

I live in tx as well. I am a college student and do the occasional stock investing. We dont need the state part? First time filing

blacksoxing 01-20-2012 05:01 PM

OK, here's my plan...

1) install this bullcrap once again on my computer
2) Get that H&R link in my email
3) Install that on my computer
4) Pass it to my grandma, who used to pay 40ish for it until last year
5) Basically repeat the steps from last year...since I believe you can use that license 5 times. She doesn't need to install that AV crap on her computer so she wins....and I guess I "win"...though I'm going to just mail my state in and bypass paying 15-20 dollars

raven70 01-20-2012 05:02 PM

The OP is in Texas. Thank you all for the rep, as I only post about one deal a year. Tried to make post idiot proof, or at least no false advertising.

Yes, it does have you uninstall Malwarebytes, but you can reinstall after your remove software. Save a restore point, and then everything should be good. At least for me it was.

Cancelling was no issue last year.

Oreoflow 01-20-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvdang7 (Post 47049418)
I live in tx as well. I am a college student and do the occasional stock investing. We dont need the state part? First time filing

TX has no state income tax so you will not need any state tax software nor will you need to file a state tax return, only federal.

Still curious -- does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade to premium?

blacksoxing 01-20-2012 05:20 PM

Went ahead and created my restore point.....times like these wish I had windows ultimate, so I could virtual machine this crap w/out having to purchase a VM....

*It wants me to get rid of my AV too??? Even though I know I'll get it back probably via system restore.....the risk is too high.....sorry CA!

hanabie 01-20-2012 05:29 PM

LOL 6 months trial? LOL

rame78 01-20-2012 05:39 PM

Thanks op.
Installed both ca and h&r block. i am able to cancel the automatic renewal online. Credit card used for ca registration is a prepaid card....so no major issues, if they try to charge the CC :-)

Thinkdiff 01-20-2012 05:41 PM

CA website says Federal + State, but the e-mail you get to download the H&R Block software shows the price at $34.95. That's the price of H&R Block Deluxe Federal w/o State. I don't think we'll be getting the state version, but hopefully that CSR was right.

ricksteph 01-20-2012 05:44 PM

I don't see any reference at all to the H&R Block software on the linked page now. ???

Edit to add: Found an overt reference to the free tax software at the linked page below. It's a different picture of the software package and appears to be a different downloadable file, but I guess downloading either may work?

http://shop.ca.com/ca/products/an...s_plus.asp

akshay_bombay 01-20-2012 05:46 PM

The product in my Account Says "Total Defense Anti-Virus",whereas the Email say CA Anti-Virus Plus Anti-Spyware.. What did you guys use in the Automatic Renewal Cancellation Form. I remember last year , we could cancel the auto renewal through website , this year they want it to be in this form.The website says i am not enrolled in any auto renewal...

cadprofessor 01-20-2012 05:56 PM

Software will not take my credit card when I try to activate it. Gives me an error. Called my credit card company and they tell me that CA processed the card number four times. Anyone else seeing this. Called CA and got the Indy fellow.....he could not understand my Georgia accent and I could not understand his so not much progress was made but I drew the line when he wanted to start poking around on my computer. Will try this one more time on Monday then taking their software off. Oh one more thing. The CA software removed my VLC software that I use daily without asking. Hope others are have more luck.

dotcomjunkie 01-20-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumburgerler (Post 47044490)
Looks like Mac users are out of luck....

You could always use parallels or another product to build a virtual windows machine..that is what I use. When I got rid of my last actual WIndows desktop last year, I made a virtual machine out of it, and now have it sitting on my Mac. Parallels is pretty darn cool. It keeps getting better and better. :bounce:

dotcomjunkie 01-20-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksteph (Post 47050252)
I don't see any reference at all to the H&R Block software on the linked page now. ???

It is in really small print down at the bottom

blacksoxing 01-20-2012 06:00 PM

So yea.....system restore messed up my malwarebytes...i gotta reinstall it :(

this definitely will be a VM machine install the moment I get to my friend's house!

Ultralord 01-20-2012 06:03 PM

I'm seeing the same thing...

3 temporary credit authorizations...:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjordan111055 (Post 47050464)
Software will not take my credit card when I try to activate it. Gives me an error. Called my credit card company and they tell me that CA processed the card number four times. Anyone else seeing this. Called CA and got the Indy fellow.....he could not understand my Georgia accent and I could not understand his so not much progress was made but I drew the line when he wanted to start poking around on my computer. Will try this one more time on Monday then taking their software off. Oh one more thing. The CA software removed my VLC software that I use daily without asking. Hope others are have more luck.

Zzyxxe 01-20-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zzyxxe (Post 47049332)
I chatted with an Indian chap from customer support. He said "at this time we have the H&R Block - Federal Only link and you have to wait for couple of days for Federal + State. Once we get the link we will get back to you. Once we get the update we will call you or email you the link".

I'm not sure how he'll "call" me the link, but it looks like I'll get TaxCut Deluxe State+Federal in a few days.

The Indian guy just e-mailed me a link to the right version of TaxCut. New file is Promo_Partner_HRBlock_Deluxe_Efile_State_2011_WDDY_A.exe instead of the original federal only file Promo_Partner_HRBlock_Deluxe_Efile_2011_WDDX_A.exe. State software is included.

cyssan4u 01-20-2012 06:28 PM

This is a good deal, just beware the CA antivirus is a real crap s/w. I could not even get it uninstalled last year when the trial period was over, and ended up having to format my windows partition as it sort of corrupted many files.

ciswt 01-20-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deal-Collector (Post 47048054)
It conflicts with existing malware and AV protection. So You cant uninstall until you remove the existing ones. any suggestions? I know people are talking about setting VM...how do I do that

Quote:

Originally Posted by peppermint (Post 47046384)
I am running Vista, can you please tell me how to go about setting up a virtual machine temporarily?

thanks

collector: if you are using a higher end version of windows 7 check out Windows XP Mode (use teh googles)

other versions of windows & minty: check out vmware player. you'll need to find yourself a windows install disc and just use the easy install wizard. I suggest vista or newer since you don't need a license to install.

not using windows at all: check out virtualbox

eliteconcept 01-20-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zzyxxe (Post 47050954)
The Indian guy just e-mailed me a link to the right version of TaxCut. New file is Promo_Partner_HRBlock_Deluxe_Efile_State_2011_WDDY_A.exe instead of the original federal only file Promo_Partner_HRBlock_Deluxe_Efile_2011_WDDX_A.exe. State software is included.

Awesome, thanks for reporting back!

jneset 01-20-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay_bombay (Post 47050276)
The product in my Account Says "Total Defense Anti-Virus",whereas the Email say CA Anti-Virus Plus Anti-Spyware.. What did you guys use in the Automatic Renewal Cancellation Form.

Haven't tried it yet, but I see a opt out of renewal link at the bottom of the CA email.

Thinkdiff 01-20-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Did he happen to say if everybody would get an email or do we have to call in to request it? Was it difficult to get them to agree that it should be State+Federal?

disk 01-20-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Can you give us the hash, tell us whether or not the file is digitally signed and also if you become aware of a link on wupload.com for the file...

jtsongas 01-20-2012 07:56 PM

Not so easy on getting the state link. Just called support and they are saying "the links are not working on their end" and that I need to call back in 48 hours. I imagine this will be enough time for them to correct the web pages that show Federal + State.

They seem to be trying to get out of the fulfilling what they show. :mad:

disk 01-20-2012 08:26 PM

They definitely are smarter than last year. Those of you seeing that error about credit card information being processed it is probably because you are already in their database with the free trial from last year. I changed my e-mail to a different e-mail. I tried Discover Virtual CC and Citibank Virtual CC and none would register using my regular e-mail (the same one I used for last year's trial).

myamex 01-20-2012 08:33 PM

This crap just crash and won't install. POS.

grandfinalemike 01-20-2012 08:35 PM

yup, i just spoke to csr and he told me that to get state included you need to purchase the 29.99 version which is good for the 1 yr. Otherwise, federal is all you get free. hmmmmm

edog11 01-20-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myamex (Post 47053012)
This crap just crash and won't install. POS.

I had same problem, if in vista, instead of close use check for solution online and close.
This will give you a patch for ie9fix compatibility.

Titan 01-20-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

You should post the link for everyone else getting hosed by this, please. I don't think hundreds of people want to have to deal with Mumbai "Mary" ;)

peppermint 01-20-2012 09:16 PM

Someone please tell me how to run a vm on my machine.. I am scared of removing MBAM.. thats the only thing that has worked in preventing those fake "anti-virus" crap from taking over my pc

disk 01-20-2012 09:17 PM

Does anyone know if you get more than one e-file using the code? I think last time it was five?

disk 01-20-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peppermint (Post 47053680)
Someone please tell me how to run a vm on my machine.. I am scared of removing MBAM.. thats the only thing that has worked in preventing those fake "anti-virus" crap from taking over my pc

If you don't have experience with VMs it will probably take you a few hours to figure everything out. I monitored the traffic sent by the app. It sends your hostname, your bios string, MAC address, disk volume (hash?) from what I can see. What I can't see is the encoded stuff that's sent back and forth. Why don't you just take a restore point, install, activate, and then revert?

peppermint 01-20-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disk (Post 47054068)
If you don't have experience with VMs it will probably take you a few hours to figure everything out. I monitored the traffic sent by the app. It sends your hostname, your bios string, MAC address, disk volume (hash?) from what I can see. What I can't see is the encoded stuff that's sent back and forth. Why don't you just take a restore point, install, activate, and then revert?

Folks are saying it asks them to remove MBAM and stuff while installing..
I would rather get this from other means rather than go through this hassle.. Last year was easy..

myamex 01-20-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titan (Post 47053124)
You should post the link for everyone else getting hosed by this, please. I don't think hundreds of people want to have to deal with Mumbai "Mary" ;)

I just did chat, and the Indian guy gave me a link to download

and it doesn't work. lol

srinu_chirala 01-20-2012 09:41 PM

Thank you. Repped.

SDRebel 01-20-2012 10:54 PM

for those needing to do state as well, use taxact, it's much cheaper and as effective

fyu 01-20-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

thanks

Go grab www.virtualbox.org
read the guide. it's really easy.

then go download a trial version of windows 7.

this is probably not worth it if you only use it once, but it's really nice if you use stuff just once and don't want to potentially leave junk on your real pc.

StoreRobber 01-20-2012 11:29 PM

too much steps killed the deal.

ricksteph 01-21-2012 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotcomjunkie (Post 47050522)
It is in really small print down at the bottom

Yeah, but that a notation to something in the page that doesn't exist.

Last year was easy compared to this one. I'm pretty sure I never had to actually install the CA software, but just agree to automatic renewal that I then cancelled, in order to get the H&R block download.

snoopdoug1 01-21-2012 05:10 AM

So I'm confused - some people are saying that they got a download link for Federal and State, and others are saying no State? Which is it? :)

DQue 01-21-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyssan4u (Post 47051002)
This is a good deal, just beware the CA antivirus is a real crap s/w. I could not even get it uninstalled last year when the trial period was over, and ended up having to format my windows partition as it sort of corrupted many files.

So in order to save, say the max value of this tax software is about $20 or less, you have to spend hours of re-installing your PC?

Driving 100 miles to save $20?

suniljm 01-21-2012 05:16 AM

no state.. excited at first, downloaded, and now disappointed. Last year was great!

DQue 01-21-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peppermint (Post 47053680)

Then go out and search for good deals on tax softwares. Not too long ago, if you paid attention, you could go to Target and PM to OD this tax software and using Target's own coupon. Then you can get it for FREE, after receiving the $10 MIR and PM. I even had to drive to a couple of Targets to be successful.

Be pro-active in seeking what you want. Don't just sit on your butt and wait for food to be fed to your mouth for deals like this one.

bdiddy11 01-21-2012 05:36 AM

Not a slick deal if you need to purchase the state. You can purchase the deluxe w/ state and 5 files for 33.99 at amazon. You also save yourself the headache of registering another software and calling to cancel.

akshay_bombay 01-21-2012 05:50 AM

Did anyone fill the form for cancellation of auto renewal, I did but did not get any confirmation email...

mandrew 01-21-2012 06:02 AM

Quote:

thanks

You have to run another software that supports virtual machines. Its a lesson in it of itself. People have to get certified to use that stuff, so if you have to ask, its probably not worth your time.

just sayin

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoreRobber (Post 47056182)
too much steps killed the deal.

agreed

grandfinalemike 01-21-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandrew (Post 47059602)
You have to run another software that supports virtual machines. Its a lesson in it of itself. People have to get certified to use that stuff, so if you have to ask, its probably not worth your time.

just sayin

agreed

Never got the link that included the state. stuck with just federal. what extra did anyone say to get the state download link. it's not worth it for just federal..thanks

beldar3648 01-21-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericfw (Post 47046600)
What kind of TurboTax deal did you get last year?

I got the same TurboTax deal that is currently on the FP. I only need federal so state is not needed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgkg (Post 47046644)

Not sure why but TurboTax ended up giving me better numbers. I'll use both again and see which one works out better. It was more of an experiment last year but guess if I can get both for free why not work through both and compare.

Both of these softwares are good.

KoolMom 01-21-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmen617 (Post 47048434)

I was too lazy to call, and just challenged it on my CC, it was taken off promptly.

warsaws 01-21-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoolMom (Post 47061728)
I was too lazy to call, and just challenged it on my CC, it was taken off promptly.

TRUE Full Blooded American !! :vomit:

beldar3648 01-21-2012 08:48 AM

I remember having to call to get it cancelled last year. It is a bit of work to get this deal. I cancelled once I got the tax software installed.

hooha23 01-21-2012 09:46 AM

Has anyone actually gotten to the part where it normally asks you to install a state to SEE if it lets you pick one to download?

wreptyle 01-21-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titan (Post 47053124)

I 2nd this...can somebody upload that file so we can all download it? Saves us from calling customer service! I got the email no problem, but got the Promo_Partner_HRBlock_Deluxe_Efile_2011_WDDX_A.exe version in the download link.

BTW, repped OP!

cxhatchback 01-21-2012 10:36 AM

This is some pretty shitty software... I'm getting force close almost every time I run it. I have to reboot my computer every few minutes just to use it.

But. worth it for me to get a free H&R Block

smileyspeople 01-21-2012 11:09 AM

Did this last year, switching from TurboTax. Absolutely hated the H&R Block software! Couldn't handle anything complicated. The last straw was when it referred me to the IRS website to get a form. Back to TurboTax this year.

grandfinalemike 01-21-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wreptyle (Post 47063438)
I 2nd this...can somebody upload that file so we can all download it? Saves us from calling customer service! I got the email no problem, but got the Promo_Partner_HRBlock_Deluxe_Efile_2011_WDDX_A.exe version in the download link.

BTW, repped OP!

Agree with posting a link....thanks

jackc6900 01-21-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichieRich (Post 47047230)
Agreed with warsaws ;)

i think the $15 Target deal is the best so far... $10 target deal if you were able to price match. I did the $15 with out any issues... and it included sate :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyspeople (Post 47064442)
Did this last year, switching from TurboTax. Absolutely hated the H&R Block software! Couldn't handle anything complicated. The last straw was when it referred me to the IRS website to get a form. Back to TurboTax this year.

If you have trouble using H&R blocks software... it is user error only. A monkey could use it without issues.

jackc6900 01-21-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cxhatchback (Post 47063866)
This is some pretty shitty software... I'm getting force close almost every time I run it. I have to reboot my computer every few minutes just to use it.

But. worth it for me to get a free H&R Block

I've use H&R blocks software for a few years now without any issues (already di mine this year with it). You sure it's not your computer?

parnelli 01-21-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksoxing (Post 47049832)
Went ahead and created my restore point.....times like these wish I had windows ultimate, so I could virtual machine this crap w/out having to purchase a VM....

*It wants me to get rid of my AV too??? Even though I know I'll get it back probably via system restore.....the risk is too high.....sorry CA!

Risk of what??

It doesn't matter who made the AV, they're always going to ask to remove other AV's.

smileyspeople 01-21-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackc6900 (Post 47064482)
A monkey could use it without issues.

I'll be leaving it to the monkeys this year.;)

jackc6900 01-21-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyspeople (Post 47064798)

Just saying I've used both and notice no material differences other than appearences - maybe some things could be clearer I suppose but for someone who just itemizes and doesn't have anything to out of the ordinary (pretty much exactly what the deluxe edition is geared for) it's a pretty smooth process... they ask you what you've done throughout the year so they can steer you in the right direction and everything.

parnelli 01-21-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyspeople (Post 47064798)

Thanks for sharing.

FREEALTA 01-21-2012 11:51 AM

As someone else has mentioned, if it doesn't like your credit card, use a different email address. I use the same virtual CC number from Citi, one email didn't work (it may have been the one I used last year), but another email ID worked.

I got both the free TurboxTax basic and this HR Block software. I have used both software to do my taxes for at least the past 5 or 6 years so I can double check my work. Let's face it, getting everything together, like your stocks buy/sell dates to determine cap gains are the most time consuming. The data input part is pretty quick. I have found that TurboTax seems to be more thorough and provided me better results over the years, most years they provide the same results. Just last year, I paid off my mortgage early. I use HR to do my taxes first, thinking everything looks fine. Then I used TurboTax, which gave me an option to paid off mortgage early and deducted the rest of my mortgage points, HR didn't do that and don't have that option, I went back to check and check and found no way to deduct the rest of my points with HR. I saved over $700 which I wouldn't have known unless I used TurboTax. I always laugh when I hear people say they have no problem doing taxes using one software or another, how would you really know whether it was right or wrong?

acr 01-21-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowFellow (Post 47044052)
lol just kinda curious if this AV is any good?

Installing CA antivirus will be worse on your computer than being infected by 90% of the malware/spyware out there.

BTW- CA antivirus was supposed to be taken over by another company at some point. That would be the best thing that ever happened to it. CA as a company is probably one the worst, if not THE WORST mainstream companies around and I would not trust them for anything.

link626 01-21-2012 01:36 PM

gonna try this with a virtual cc that expires in 1 month.

nonstopfan 01-21-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acr (Post 47066798)
Installing CA antivirus will be worse on your computer than being infected by 90% of the malware/spyware out there.

BTW- CA antivirus was supposed to be taken over by another company at some point. That would be the best thing that ever happened to it. CA as a company is probably one the worst, if not THE WORST mainstream companies around and I would not trust them for anything.

+1

Installing this software will probably do your computer more harm than good. For that reason, I will have to pass. I cant subject my computer to such abuse :)

link626 01-21-2012 01:53 PM

so who is going to buy 500 of these and sell them on ebay ?

last year there were shitloads of these on ebay

. just installed this crap on a virtual machine, and I can confirm this one does not include state software.

temporary authorization locked up $1 on my prepaid card

warsaws 01-21-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by link626 (Post 47066812)

This made for fascinating reading. Thanks for sharing.

mhd114 01-21-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FREEALTA (Post 47065176)
As someone else has mentioned, if it doesn't like your credit card, use a different email address. I use the same virtual CC number from Citi, one email didn't work (it may have been the one I used last year), but another email ID worked.

I got both the free TurboxTax basic and this HR Block software. I have used both software to do my taxes for at least the past 5 or 6 years so I can double check my work. Let's face it, getting everything together, like your stocks buy/sell dates to determine cap gains are the most time consuming. The data input part is pretty quick. I have found that TurboTax seems to be more thorough and provided me better results over the years, most years they provide the same results. Just last year, I paid off my mortgage early. I use HR to do my taxes first, thinking everything looks fine. Then I used TurboTax, which gave me an option to paid off mortgage early and deducted the rest of my mortgage points, HR didn't do that and don't have that option, I went back to check and check and found no way to deduct the rest of my points with HR. I saved over $700 which I wouldn't have known unless I used TurboTax. I always laugh when I hear people say they have no problem doing taxes using one software or another, how would you really know whether it was right or wrong?

I go to the post office to get the form and do it by hand, then double check with H&R Block.

hooha23 01-21-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonstopfan (Post 47066906)
+1

Installing this software will probably do your computer more harm than good. For that reason, I will have to pass. I cant subject my computer to such abuse :)

Virtual Box. Done.

FrozenDarkness 01-21-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by link626 (Post 47067108)
so who is going to buy 500 of these and sell them on ebay ?

last year there were shitloads of these on ebay

. just installed this crap on a virtual machine, and I can confirm this one does not include state software.

temporary authorization locked up $1 on my prepaid card

i did it last year, but it was infinitely times easier last year than it is this year.

the sad thing is that ebay thinks it's illegal so they crack down on it pretty hard.

warsaws 01-21-2012 03:53 PM

:vomit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozenDarkness (Post 47068760)
i did it last year, but it was infinitely times easier last year than it is this year.

the sad thing is that ebay thinks it's illegal so they crack down on it pretty hard.

Drew 01-21-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rono (Post 47048830)
same here, saying my credit card is invalid, tried 3 different ones

I had that happen too, and I probably tried (reluctantly) six times. However I switched to a different email address and it worked first time. Have a feeling they already had me on file with a different password or something?

Drew 01-21-2012 04:24 PM

I've used the H&R Block software 3 years now to file my federal taxes, and it does a pretty good job. And it's nice that if you use it consecutively it will import all your info from the previous year.

I also used the CA antivirus last year. It ain't great, but I canceled and uninstalled it will little harm done. It may suck I don't know, but so far they haven't tricked me or anything.

truelies 01-21-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by link626 (Post 47066812)

You will be charged no matter it's expired or not.

warsaws 01-21-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truelies (Post 47069638)
You will be charged no matter it's expired or not.

What's that supposed to mean?

truelies 01-21-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warsaws (Post 47069806)
What's that supposed to mean?

Even you credit card expired, they can charge you old card. The money will go to you new card.

Shannontmbg 01-21-2012 06:44 PM

Thanks it worked for me. I used Windows 7 Pro "XP Mode" to install the program. It took about 10 minutes. Registered using a $1 virtual CC, received my H&R Block code 2 minute later. Thanks OP

Loan_Crusader 01-21-2012 06:44 PM

so this is what the CA security charge back on my credit card was. i guess i never cancelled it. man that was a huge pain in the ass, they cancelled my card and changed my pin.

Drew 01-21-2012 07:58 PM

FYI every time I tried and failed to set up my account with CA, they added another $1 charge reservation to my card. As noted previously, using a different email address made it finally work.

microkelvin 01-21-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truelies (Post 47072308)
Even you credit card expired, they can charge you old card. The money will go to you new card.

You dont know what you are talking about.

aalupatti 01-21-2012 10:33 PM

Dint see mentioned anywhere about tax software in the product page from the first link. Is it expired ?

Edit : found it

atscntsc 01-21-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microkelvin (Post 47076084)

Quote:

With virtual credit cards, once the virtual card expires, the virtual card can no longer be used, even though the underlying account is still active. Charges made to the virtual account will be rejected. For more information, look here: http://seekingalpha.com/article/4...edit-cards

But, if you provide a merchant your standard CC card number (for recurring purchases for example), if your card is reissued after the expiration date, charges made after the expiration date of the "old" card will be applied to the "new" card, as both cards share the same account number. But, as stated above, this will not happen with a virtual card number.

Firebird27 01-22-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delobom (Post 47046824)

I did not get State last year it may be one of those: YMMV...

Firebird27 01-22-2012 08:40 AM

Did you have to install the CA antivirus last year?
I'm 99% sure I did not, because I keep a log of software that I add.

lilbuddy 01-22-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

They won't charge your card, they will just send it to a bill collection agency.

warsaws 01-22-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbuddy (Post 47082420)
they won't charge your card, they will just send it to a bill collection agency.

bs...

ricksteph 01-22-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebird27 (Post 47082400)
Did you have to install the CA antivirus last year?
I'm 99% sure I did not, because I keep a log of software that I add.

No, that was not a requirement from last year's deal. I didn't remember installing any CA stuff either, so I went back and double checked. If you bought CA's "PC Tune-Up" program for a penny, you could add the free tax software to your order. You got download links for both after placing the order. I'm pretty sure I didn't even download the CA software.

No way I'm installing the CA antivirus stuff, so I can't figure out how to make this deal work for me.

parnelli 01-22-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, his name *is* truelies....;)

delobom 01-22-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebird27 (Post 47081700)
I did not get State last year it may be one of those: YMMV...

last year after preparing federal return it prompted whether I wanted to download state and it let me download state for free.

delobom 01-22-2012 11:21 AM

I have windows 7 and not able to activate it. It just keep on saying that some information is missing when I try to activate.

microkelvin 01-22-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooha23 (Post 47084414)
Nice! Too bad this will be closed next year now :( lol

It's not next year yet. How do you know?

drew2money 01-22-2012 12:12 PM

Its giving me an error 22 when I try to download state for NC..any ideas?

Upate, it's case sensitive, had Nc on the end of the executable. Fixed it and it worked.

toxicity 01-22-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Yep. Installed this POS and immediately, my computer would freeze upon startup. Only solution was reboot in safe-mode and download the manual uninstall program since the uninstall function bundled with the software would not work. Terrible.

gergev 01-22-2012 01:23 PM

Trying to d/l VA state, I get the "State Download Progress" box, but nothing downloads, then an error box pops up "A problem was encountered while trying to get your download. Please try again later. Problem number (1).
For help troubleshooting download erros, visit our website at
http://www.hrblock.com/software/2011/update"

That webpage does not work.

I've updated the federal program, still get same error.

Also cannot "Cancel Automatic Renewal Service" or "Update Credit Card" on the CA Internet Security "My Account" page.

Lakotabill 01-22-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gergev (Post 47087252)
Trying to d/l VA state, I get the "State Download Progress" box, but nothing downloads, then an error box pops up "A problem was encountered while trying to get your download. Please try again later. Problem number (1).
For help troubleshooting download erros, visit our website at
http://www.hrblock.com/software/2011/update"

That webpage does not work.

I've updated the federal program, still get same error.

Also cannot "Cancel Automatic Renewal Service" or "Update Credit Card" on the CA Internet Security "My Account" page.

I just tried VA and it downloaded just fine. Be sure to put lower case va in place of ny and VA in place of NY. There's 2 different places on the script to change your state abbreviations.

gergev 01-22-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakotabill (Post 47087352)
I just tried VA and it downloaded just fine. Be sure to put lower case va in place of ny and VA in place of NY. There's 2 different places on the script to change your state abbreviations.

I used
"c:\Program Files\HRBlock2011\Program\HRBlockSWmgr.exe"/freehttp://version.taxcut.com/purchase/2011/win/va/HRBlockVA.exe

It connected to HRBlock's download site with the download box which states;
Downloading: Virginia
0 of 3214072 KBytes downloaded

but it doesn't start the download.

Do you know how to cancel the Anti-Virus subscription?
When I click on "Cancel Automatic Renewal Service" I get the page
"Sorry, it appears that you have no license enrolled in Automatic Renewal Service."

Under Product Subscriptions there is
Total Defense Anti-Virus Expires 7/20/2012 with a "Renew" tab next to it.

Do I have to wait until I get an email to renew?

gergev 01-22-2012 01:45 PM

It works now. I needed a space between free and http:
"c:\Program Files\HRBlock2011\Program\HRBlockSWmgr.exe"/free http://version.taxcut.com/purchas...lockVA.exe

doh!

edit: also noticed I need to use the original email confirmation to get the form to cancel the subscription.

Sorry to clog up this thread.

chino3 01-22-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gergev (Post 47087518)
I used
"c:\Program Files\HRBlock2011\Program\HRBlockSWmgr.exe"/freehttp://version.taxcut.com/purchase/2011/win/va/HRBlockVA.exe

It connected to HRBlock's download site with the download box which states;
Downloading: Virginia
0 of 3214072 KBytes downloaded

but it doesn't start the download.

Do you know how to cancel the Anti-Virus subscription?
When I click on "Cancel Automatic Renewal Service" I get the page
"Sorry, it appears that you have no license enrolled in Automatic Renewal Service."

Under Product Subscriptions there is
Total Defense Anti-Virus Expires 7/20/2012 with a "Renew" tab next to it.

Do I have to wait until I get an email to renew?

+1 to this... concerned about cancelling

chino3 01-22-2012 02:09 PM

nvm delete

bennynihon 01-22-2012 02:23 PM

"An error occurred while processing the credit card activation".

Anyone else get this? I tried 3 different credit cards. So clearly it's not that.

warsaws 01-22-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennynihon (Post 47088078)

Anyone else get this? I tried 3 different credit cards. So clearly it's not that.

Nope...no one else got this. Just you.

bennynihon 01-22-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warsaws (Post 47088114)
Nope...no one else got this. Just you.

Looks like at least a couple of other people complained about errors during credit card activation...but yeah, looks like I'm getting effed in the a hole.

Duckula 01-22-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew2money (Post 47086154)
Its giving me an error 22 when I try to download state for NC..any ideas?

Upate, it's case sensitive, had Nc on the end of the executable. Fixed it and it worked.

What did you use for state code? nc or NC? i am getting some error, nothing is getting downloaded :( Help is appreciated

dr4gon 01-22-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Got this at the beginning, page 3 I think. The solution is to use another email address. I switched from gmail to my verizon and that did the trick.

Does anyone know if this gives 5 free e-files? It looks like it might only be for 1.

drew2money 01-22-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckula (Post 47088350)
What did you use for state code? nc or NC? i am getting some error, nothing is getting downloaded :( Help is appreciated

I did the following:

cd c:\Program Files (x86)\HRBlock2011\Program\

Then executed the following:

HRBlockSWmgr.exe/free http://version.taxcut.com/purchas...lockNC.exe

delobom 01-22-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckula (Post 47088350)

there are 2 places where you need to change NY to NC

xzaqus 01-22-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

You need to select the card type (Mater/ Visa etc) where it says Credit Card. I faced this problem too.

centrifuge41 01-22-2012 05:42 PM

Ok silly question. Once I've downloaded the state file, what do I do to install it? I cannot run it directly. It seems that I have to place it in the correct directory before opening At Home and going to Tools > Reinstall State Program. I'm not sure what the right directory is.

Looks like in 2009, the directory was C:\ProgramData\TaxCut\2009\Downloads\HRBlockVA.exe

I did the same thing in the 2011 folder using the new downloaded state app, but no go.

bennynihon 01-22-2012 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by xzaqus (Post 47089252)
You need to select the card type (Mater/ Visa etc) where it says Credit Card. I faced this problem too.

I did that. Strange. Tried a completely different computer. Win7 vs. WinXP. Still the same non-sense.

The fact that the image at the top of the Registration window is "X" doesn't give me a strong feeling of confidence that this thing is properly connecting to the server.

bennynihon 01-22-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennynihon (Post 47092004)
I did that. Strange. Tried a completely different computer. Win7 vs. WinXP. Still the same non-sense.

The fact that the image at the top of the Registration window is "X" doesn't give me a strong feeling of confidence that this thing is properly connecting to the server.

Hmm. Finally got it to work. Is there some requirement with the password? This time I used capital letters, special characters, and all. And it worked.

acr 01-22-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennynihon (Post 47092004)

I'm not sure, but is this connecting with https ? If so, do you have any sort of message about not displaying secure content? Which browsers are you using on your Win 7 and XP computers?

gsg 01-22-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gergev (Post 47087568)
It works now. I needed a space between free and http:
"c:\Program Files\HRBlock2011\Program\HRBlockSWmgr.exe"/free http://version.taxcut.com/purchas...lockVA.exe

Thanks! After putting the space in, this worked for me too. Just had to substitute the the two character state in the string. For California, the string is:

Code:

"c:\Program Files\HRBlock2011\Program\HRBlockSWmgr.exe"/free http://version.taxcut.com/purchase/2011/win/ca/HRBlockCA.exe
I was able to take advantage of the Tiger Direct version of this last year, but had to make a small purchase to make the deal. Now that there is a way to d/l the state version, this year's deal is even better. :D

For those that took advantage of the Tiger Direct deal last year, be sure to go into your old account and change your email address, OR use a different email (real, not fake) address this time. Otherwise, the Total Defense product won't get activated on CA's website.

For those concerned about credit card charges, there won't be any initially; however, you will need to update your account on CA's website to make sure it doesn't happen six months down the road. After logging in,simply cancel the automatic renewal service on the lower right side of the "My Account" page.

As crappy as the CA software is, it found a Trojan (on a seldom used netbook) that somehow got past Security Essentials -- though perhaps if I did a full scan using SE it would have also found it. Anyway, SE is free, so back to it I go.

BallZack 01-22-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centrifuge41 (Post 47091562)
Ok silly question. Once I've downloaded the state file, what do I do to install it? I cannot run it directly. It seems that I have to place it in the correct directory before opening At Home and going to Tools > Reinstall State Program. I'm not sure what the right directory is.

Looks like in 2009, the directory was C:\ProgramData\TaxCut\2009\Downloads\HRBlockVA.exe

I did the same thing in the 2011 folder using the new downloaded state app, but no go.

Don't just download the file... that's what I did at first and couldn't install it...

Go to cmd prompt (assuming you're in windows) and paste the whole string that was posted. Adjust it to your state and hit enter and it should start hrblock download manager and dowload the file and install it all in one step.

acr 01-22-2012 07:04 PM

For people wanting to install this - can't you just make an image first, then install, then go back to the old image? Might be easier and probably about the only way to make sure you get all the CA crapware off your system (unless going the virtual os route).

vickh 01-22-2012 07:09 PM

any similar deal on Turbotax??

warsaws 01-22-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vickh (Post 47093162)
any similar deal on Turbotax??

Yes, there is.

corazones 01-22-2012 07:30 PM

thanks OP! in for one.

ba770 technique works! state downloaded successfully. brilliant!

vickh 01-22-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warsaws (Post 47093404)
Yes, there is.

where

lbwarped 01-22-2012 07:37 PM

One thing that threw me off with the free state was that it wasn't working from the command prompt. You must run it from the run prompt, not the cmd prompt.

FREEALTA 01-22-2012 07:47 PM

worked for me using cmd window.

lilbuddy 01-22-2012 08:21 PM

I keep getting "an error occurred while processing the credit card activation".

aleki 01-22-2012 08:57 PM

is there a reason you guys are using the cmd prompt for an html address? I just changed the NY to my state and it allowed me to download the .exe without issue..

BallZack 01-22-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleki (Post 47095074)
is there a reason you guys are using the cmd prompt for an html address? I just changed the NY to my state and it allowed me to download the .exe without issue..

yes there is... Install that .exe and I'll time you... go!

aleki 01-22-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjeebz (Post 47095456)
yes there is... Install that .exe and I'll time you... go!

lol, had already figgered it out :P

B0000rt 01-22-2012 10:54 PM

Thanks a bunch guys, imported my 2010 HR Block profile from last year that was free also, and we're bangin! Now gotta wait till those W2s come in!

disk 01-22-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbwarped (Post 47093676)
One thing that threw me off with the free state was that it wasn't working from the command prompt. You must run it from the run prompt, not the cmd prompt.

Close any H&R Block processes that are currently running before running the command. It shouldn't matter if you run from the command prompt or Run box.

Insanity 01-23-2012 02:11 AM

Is this still available?

When I go to the CA Anti-virus website, it still has the 6-month trial, but no mention of H&R Block.

gergev 01-23-2012 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insanity (Post 47099070)
Is this still available?

When I go to the CA Anti-virus website, it still has the 6-month trial, but no mention of H&R Block.

Go to the very bottom of the page and count 6 lines up of the small print.

lbwarped 01-23-2012 05:58 AM

Anyone have a link for canceling the subscription on CA's website?

BallZack 01-23-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbwarped (Post 47101078)
Anyone have a link for canceling the subscription on CA's website?

I used the one they provide in the initial confirmation email they sent you...
Hopefully that works.

lbwarped 01-23-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjeebz (Post 47101212)
I used the one they provide in the initial confirmation email they sent you...
Hopefully that works.

I was wondering about that, as when I logged into my CA account and clicked on the "Cancel Automatic Renewal Service" link, it said this:
Quote:

Sorry, it appears that you have no licenses enrolled in Automatic Renewal Service.
Further, my CC information was not stored on their server, so I'm not sure how they would auto-renew it anyway.

I used that above link anyway just in case... we'll see what transpires.

mouseanonie 01-23-2012 09:11 AM

Everything worked for me; thanks, and repped. Question: is there going to be a separate charge to e-File, or is it free after the download? I'd like to know especially with respect to the state returns, since I have to file two - both of which I was able to d/l and install via the run prompt. Appreciate it.

gergev 01-23-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilfwan (Post 47105274)
Everything worked for me; thanks, and repped. Question: is there going to be a separate charge to e-File, or is it free after the download? I'd like to know especially with respect to the state returns, since I have to file two - both of which I was able to d/l and install via the run prompt. Appreciate it.

There is one e-file code for the fed return in your email confirmation.

There is no e-file code for the state. The state return is not part of the deal.

disk 01-23-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilfwan (Post 47105274)

It depends. Federal no, state maybe. My cousin files his taxes early and he isn't charged a NY e-file fee. Look at my post from last year.
This year he wasn't charged either.

vaca_loca 01-23-2012 10:39 AM

Thanks OP and others, installed CA on a virtual machine, installed H&R program, and downloaded the MA state tax using the quick summary :) I might just snail mail the MA one this year if this gives me any better results than TaxAct Online

zigner 01-23-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disk (Post 47106276)
It depends. Federal no, state maybe. My cousin files his taxes early and he isn't charged a NY e-file fee. Look at my post from last year.
This year he wasn't charged either.

NY is a special case, there is some kind of agreement with the tax software firms and NY State to not charge an EFile fee for NY State returns. In NY EFile is mandatory.

So, the lack of being charged an Efile fee for a NY State return is nothing to do with a "deal" or special version of the software here. It's designed to be free for NY

rman726 01-23-2012 02:39 PM

WTF. I just got it and it says each State Program costs 36.95? That seems like a lot higher than past years. Think I'll be buying another version that comes with State...

megadollar 01-23-2012 05:55 PM

The command doesn't work for me.

I checked my computer, it has a "\HRBlockSwMgr" a file, not "\HRBlockSWmgr.exe", chaned, still doesn't work, what can I do?

Boost_addict 01-23-2012 06:34 PM

Thanks everyone. I downloaded/installed the crappy CA software on an XP mode VM. Got the e-file code and download link. Downloaded taxcut onto my VM (funny that on my regular computer Norton flagged the link as known malicious software) and transfered to my main machine via flash drive. Installed the software and ran the code posted in the wiki (changing both states to mine) at the "run" prompt. Downloaded state and ran updates for everything. I cancelled the CA software subscription via the original email confirmation. Finally, deleted my VM. Should be good to go!

BTW, for anyone that has win7 ultimate and wants an easy way to manage VMs, the free program XPMore is awesome. You can duplicate a good/clean VM with a mouse click and then delete when you are done.

BruceG 01-23-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megadollar (Post 47118786)
The command doesn't work for me.

I checked my computer, it has a "\HRBlockSwMgr" a file, not "\HRBlockSWmgr.exe", chaned, still doesn't work, what can I do?

If your computer is set to hide extension of known programs the ".exe" may not show up in the folder, but it's still the same file. I am running a 32 bit version of Windows 7, and I had to modify the path of the command by removing the " (x86)" portion of the command shown on page one. After that it worked perfect for CA.

Bruce

jeffbanyon 01-23-2012 08:30 PM

I found this out the hard way... IE9 and this software do not mix well.... Apparently IE9 makes it crash and therefore I can not register. I don't feel like uninstalling IE9 to install this poo, when I plan on uninstalling it after I register.

http://cainternetsecurity.net/KB/...?KDId=1306

It's been stated before..... too many steps to make it a deal. I'm still TU'ing for the find, but it just isn't worth it for me.

Too bad I had to uninstall Malwarebytes to find that out.

....And yes I know I some of you will chastise me for keeping IE9 on. ;-)

corazones 01-23-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffbanyon (Post 47121872)
I found this out the hard way... IE9 and this software do not mix well.... Apparently IE9 makes it crash and therefore I can not register. I don't feel like uninstalling IE9 to install this poo, when I plan on uninstalling it after I register.

It's been stated before..... too many steps to make it a deal. I'm still TU'ing for the find, but it just isn't worth it for me.

nah dont give up. piece of cake with virtualbox or ms virtual pc and Citi virtual cc. Me think any serious SDers already have these tools of the trade in their toolbox.

telux 01-24-2012 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsg (Post 47092662)
Thanks! After putting the space in, this worked for me too. Just had to substitute the the two character state in the string. For California, the string is:

Code:

"c:\Program Files\HRBlock2011\Program\HRBlockSWmgr.exe"/free http://version.taxcut.com/purchase/2011/win/ca/HRBlockCA.exe
I was able to take advantage of the Tiger Direct version of this last year, but had to make a small purchase to make the deal. Now that there is a way to d/l the state version, this year's deal is even better. :D

For those that took advantage of the Tiger Direct deal last year, be sure to go into your old account and change your email address, OR use a different email (real, not fake) address this time. Otherwise, the Total Defense product won't get activated on CA's website.

For those concerned about credit card charges, there won't be any initially; however, you will need to update your account on CA's website to make sure it doesn't happen six months down the road. After logging in,simply cancel the automatic renewal service on the lower right side of the "My Account" page.

As crappy as the CA software is, it found a Trojan (on a seldom used netbook) that somehow got past Security Essentials -- though perhaps if I did a full scan using SE it would have also found it. Anyway, SE is free, so back to it I go.

So do we still need to buy and install CA software first? TIA!

142857 01-24-2012 10:12 AM

has anybody gotten confirmation after submitting the subscription cancellation from the link in the email? The online My Account info still doesn't show things regarding to subscription and has no credit card enrollment.

mces 01-24-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 142857 (Post 47135370)
has anybody gotten confirmation after submitting the subscription cancellation from the link in the email? The online My Account info still doesn't show things regarding to subscription and has no credit card enrollment.

Same exact situation for me. I installed the CA software but did not activate it. Did everyone else activate it or not?

justdoit007 01-24-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mces (Post 47135842)
Same exact situation for me. I installed the CA software but did not activate it. Did everyone else activate it or not?

you need to activate to receive hr block efile code

mdcubsfan 01-24-2012 01:59 PM

anyone else try to install on a computer running microsoft security essentials? it prompted me to uninstall MSE in order to install this CA software, which I don't think is worth the trouble.....

mces 01-24-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdcubsfan (Post 47142180)
anyone else try to install on a computer running microsoft security essentials? it prompted me to uninstall MSE in order to install this CA software, which I don't think is worth the trouble.....

Yes, had to do that. Very easy to uninstall, download, and reinstall.

hill8570 01-24-2012 05:49 PM

Nice job. Only a minor PITA for me, since I already had a Windows VM sitting around -- just set a checkpoint, installed and registered the antivirus, and then reverted to the checkpoint. Thanks to other posters, had no problem getting the ID state downloaded, either. Well worth the minor hassle for free!

s.c. 01-24-2012 07:02 PM

I have submitted the Auto-renewal cancellation form, but haven't received any e-mail regarding the cancellation. Anyone receive any e-mail after they sent the cancellation?

compnerd123 01-24-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FREEALTA (Post 47065176)

Thanks for this post, haha would never think changing the email would get it to work. These guys expect me to use their virus software when all I need to do is register a new email get around whatever validation they have on the cc info?

BallZack 01-24-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s.c. (Post 47148868)
I have submitted the Auto-renewal cancellation form, but haven't received any e-mail regarding the cancellation. Anyone receive any e-mail after they sent the cancellation?

Nope... I filled it out two days ago and still haven't heard anything.

edog11 01-24-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffbanyon (Post 47121872)

Hi,
I had ie9 compatibility warning but just applied ie9fix patch found here.
http://cainternetsecurity.net/KB/...?KDId=1307

This worked and didn't uninstall ie9.