Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Puerto Rico Board Game $29+FS (or $27 Used) , San Juan Card Game $22+FS w/Prime (or $19 Used) (http://slickdeals.net/f/3930496-puerto-rico-board-game-29-fs-or-27-used-san-juan-card-game-22-fs-w-prime-or-19-used)

Sairus 02-09-2012 07:48 PM

Puerto Rico Board Game $29+FS (or $27 Used) , San Juan Card Game $22+FS w/Prime (or $19 Used)

65534 Attachment(s)
For those who want Puerto Rico or San Juan. I know these aren't the best prices for Puerto Rico but they're dropping. San Juan has dropped close to where it was pre-Christmas sales. Also for those that want to take a stab at used games Amazon Warehouse has some available.

Puerto Rico
Board Game Geek [boardgamegeek.com]

Puerto Rico [amazon.com]

USED PUERTO RICO BOARD GAME [amazon.com] $26.06 + FS w/Prime

San Juan:
Board Game Geek San Juan [boardgamegeek.com]

SAN JUAN [amazon.com] FS w/Prime

USED SAN JUAN GAMES [amazon.com] Amazon Warehouse - $18.68+ FS w/Prime

wikipost 02-09-2012 07:48 PM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

Friday 2/10, 11:50am EST - nudged back up to $30 + FSSS

ratinq 02-09-2012 07:59 PM

Like you said, prices are just good, not great. That said this is one of the best Euro games ever made. One of my top 3 games and it sees a lot of gameplay in my household. Not a light game but very rewarding. No dice, no luck, total strategy. San Juan is a dumbed downed card version. Still good though and it does feel like its own game.

keeleon 02-09-2012 08:32 PM

I would totally have jumped on this if I hadn't JUST started playing the android version of this game on my phone today and realized its almost identical to Race for the Galaxy, which I own, and prefer the theme.

adamfarl 02-10-2012 04:25 AM

Thx... ive just started getting into the more involved board games and I really am enjoying it!

So far I have:
Forbidden Island
Lost Cities
Pandemic

I have been eyeing Puerto Rico for some time now but we only play with just the 2 of us and PR saids its a 3-5 person game. Darn.

Dal4fsu 02-10-2012 05:17 AM

Been wanting to grab these, but really don't have a group of 3 to play PR with. Might go for San Juan now since it is even lower at $21 and change right now new.;)

yeli23 02-10-2012 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamfarl (Post 47592366)
Thx... ive just started getting into the more involved board games and I really am enjoying it!

So far I have:
Forbidden Island
Lost Cities
Pandemic

I have been eyeing Puerto Rico for some time now but we only play with just the 2 of us and PR saids its a 3-5 person game. Darn.

There's a 2-player variant (you can find rules on boardgamegeek.com) which plays pretty similarly to the 3 player. It's semi-officially supported. Great game, but definitely 'heavier' than the games you have so far.

dkrypt 02-10-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratinq (Post 47585962)
.... No dice, no luck, total strategy. ...

There's luck in the random selection of resources available to choose from (coffee, corn, etc) :)

ny518 02-10-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkrypt (Post 47593440)
There's luck in the random selection of resources available to choose from (coffee, corn, etc) :)

A small variant we play sometimes to eliminate that can be one of the following (we play with 4 people):

- Flip one of each resource each Settler phase

- Play with the plantations face up. Any person can choose any tile. Bye-bye chance!

Guinness.Pint 02-10-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dal4fsu (Post 47592858)
Been wanting to grab these, but really don't have a group of 3 to play PR with. Might go for San Juan now since it is even lower at $21 and change right now new.;)

As yeli23 said, there are 2-player variants, one which was officially released by Alea (the German publisher). I've played many 2-player rounds with those rules and enjoy it. There are plenty more tweaks that people may recommend as you get used to playing.

Puerto Rico's page at BoardGameGeek:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgam...uerto-rico

A link to the download page for the official 2-player variant rules:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage...layers-doc

Or, if you speak German, here is the Alea page with Puerto Rico variants:
http://aleaspiele.de/Pages/Versions/

Pugnax555 02-10-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeleon (Post 47586554)
I would totally have jumped on this if I hadn't JUST started playing the android version of this game on my phone today and realized its almost identical to Race for the Galaxy, which I own, and prefer the theme.

SJ and RFTG are fairly similar because they both started their lives as card game adaptations of Puerto Rico. Both were strong, but SJ won out as the official PR card game, and RFTG was rethemed and developed further before being released.

adamfarl 02-10-2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeli23 (Post 47593278)
There's a 2-player variant (you can find rules on boardgamegeek.com) which plays pretty similarly to the 3 player. It's semi-officially supported. Great game, but definitely 'heavier' than the games you have so far.

Cool. Should have figured that BGG would have something like that...

I Appreciate the info!

ninjeff 02-10-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamfarl (Post 47592366)

So far I have:
Forbidden Island
Lost Cities
Pandemic

Puerto Rico is a great game, but if you're worried about 2 players (I've never played the BGG variant), you should check out Le Havre. It is a great game that is actually better with 2-3 players than with 4-5 players.

GordonFremen 02-10-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keeleon (Post 47586554)

Where'd you find this Android version? I don't see it in the Market.

Calzam 02-10-2012 07:56 AM

The San Juan version on Android is called Condado.

Unofficial, of course.

It is pretty fun.

theredfro 02-10-2012 08:16 AM

For you boardgame lovers, Pandemic is also around its pre-Christmas price at $23.67 on Amazon.

Thread

ProtocolOH 02-10-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theredfro (Post 47597048)
For you boardgame lovers, Pandemic is also around its pre-Christmas price at $23.67 on Amazon.

Thread

We played that Wednesday at our game night. 4-person normal game, first game we played... dead in three turns. The initial infections were all clustered in black and red, then the second player tripped an epidemic... in a black-disease city. Then before we could possibly deploy anyone to take down the infection levels, the next four infection cards were all black cities. We ran out of black disease cubes, and by rule, the game was over, we lost. Fourth player didn't even get a turn. We played again, and got a much better initial spread, and we eventually beat it. But man, that first round was brutal.

keeleon 02-10-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calzam (Post 47596424)
The San Juan version on Android is called Condado.

Unofficial, of course.

It is pretty fun.

Also, look up Androminion, for a sweet port of Dominion. Finally I've found an outlet for my board game addiction without resorting to interaction with those pesky humans ;P

keysersoze25 02-10-2012 10:10 AM

this sounds very similar to settlers of catan. harder to get into? less? and is it different enough to warrant a purchase or should i spend my dollars on a different euro board game?

AngelWings8 02-10-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProtocolOH (Post 47597586)
We played that Wednesday at our game night. 4-person normal game, first game we played... dead in three turns. The initial infections were all clustered in black and red, then the second player tripped an epidemic... in a black-disease city. Then before we could possibly deploy anyone to take down the infection levels, the next four infection cards were all black cities. We ran out of black disease cubes, and by rule, the game was over, we lost. Fourth player didn't even get a turn. We played again, and got a much better initial spread, and we eventually beat it. But man, that first round was brutal.

Make sure you didn't do what we did...we put all the cards in, not knowing there were 6 Epidemic cards. If it's your first time, I would go with easy and only put 4 cards in :lmao: We played two aggravating games until we realized we were playing with too many Epidemic cards. We lasted pretty long considering the situation :shake:

mpresiv1 02-10-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keysersoze25 (Post 47600428)
this sounds very similar to settlers of catan. harder to get into? less? and is it different enough to warrant a purchase or should i spend my dollars on a different euro board game?

i have never played pr, but do play settlers and race for the galaxy.

by what people generally say (too much luck in settlers / close race for the galaxy), you are looking at a very different type of game. i would assume your enjoyment would depend on how much you enjoy the luck factor in gaming. other can prob chime who actually have experience in both.

if you like settlers, i would prob recommend stone age or 7 wonders

Kellin Brown 02-10-2012 11:50 AM

sprung for the limited edition. its got two expansions that come with it. I have a nice catan set but sometimes i wish i had the upgraded set.

cyfan 02-10-2012 01:12 PM

Cool, I love drinking games. (3, 2, 1...)

ProtocolOH 02-10-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keysersoze25 (Post 47600428)

It's a totally different game from Catan, there's no trading, you select different roles each turn, it's all about sequencing, cash flow, and worker allocation. Not hard at all to pick up, the rules are pretty straightforward. Definitely recommended if you like Euro-style games.

thornnspear 02-11-2012 06:29 AM

If you want to try it, you can play it (and race for the galaxy) at boardgamearena.com for free

Mangies 03-01-2012 09:23 AM

If you guys are still looking for a good deal on this. MiniatureMarket.com has their prices still much lower than Amazon. All you gotta do is fill in to get free shipping at $99 and use this threads $5 off code -->
http://slickdeals.net/f/4013630-Miniature-Market-5-off-99-code-Board-games-minis-RPG-ccg-s-etc?p=48121056#post48121056

Puerto Rico = $27.87
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rgg195.html

San Juan = $18.57
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rgg238.html