Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Crucial m4 128GB SSD - 149 w/tax AC - STAPLES (http://slickdeals.net/f/4055166-crucial-m4-128gb-ssd-149-w-tax-ac-staples)

Ron Lunis 03-12-2012 01:18 AM

Crucial m4 128GB SSD - 149 w/tax AC - STAPLES

Staples has Crucial m4 128GB SSD for $169.99. Apply $30 off $150 coupon. Mine came to 148.39 tax included. Use your favorite CC or CB site to get some of that tax back to make it a lil cheaper :)

http://www.staples.com/Crucial-12...uct_432277

yoshigamer141 03-12-2012 01:52 AM

Not a very good price. Newegg had it a while back for almost a 1$/gb. The good deals come from price match to amazon when they have it on sale then a coupon.

dryugan 03-12-2012 02:01 AM

i got mine on tigerdirect for $139.99 total

SlickPickSlim 03-12-2012 02:08 AM

i paid 10 more than dryugan probably more than a month ago, but got it at least 10 days earlier.

sometimes productivity is worth more than a few bucks, jump on this if you're considering the m4, it's a solid choice for upgrade.

CheapBastardX10 03-12-2012 02:58 AM

Recommend the SSD, just not the price. $150 is bad, especially with the recent falling in price for SSD. $140 is a good deal. $130 is a slick deal.

blackblaze 03-12-2012 03:10 AM

folks are just using their SSD for the OS and where to install applications, and probably have a second drive to store files, for best performance with a SSD and non-SD drive? If that is the case, would 128GB be sufficient over the course of 2+ yrs? I can't imagine, based on the scenario presented, that I'd have enough applications to fill the SSD. Am I correct in this assumption?

SlickPickSlim 03-12-2012 03:31 AM

You are correct. 128 is plenty for programs and apps. My drive has maintained 70 gb available since I've pointed all my users folders and data to a spinning drive. Even an 80 gb ssd is doable and there are ways to decrease paging file size etc... if you're working with a small ssd to maximize space. But 128 is the sweet spot, I'm not even bothering with messing with space maximization techniques.

worthmining 03-12-2012 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackblaze (Post 48389292)
folks are just using their SSD for the OS and where to install applications, and probably have a second drive to store files, for best performance with a SSD and non-SD drive? If that is the case, would 128GB be sufficient over the course of 2+ yrs? I can't imagine, based on the scenario presented, that I'd have enough applications to fill the SSD. Am I correct in this assumption?

TigerDirect has this drive at $149 - VC $10 only expired one hour ago. But precisely for the same concern the capacity is not enough for my desktop OS+App partition I've decided to wait for a sync (non-sandforce) 240gb deal at $1/gb.

For those who move data folders out of OS partition, how would app launch time benefit from it? The technique to move user and programdata folders out of C drive is pretty "advance" last I checked as there is no easy way to do that.

Tarascon 03-12-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackblaze (Post 48389292)

It really just depends what you're putting on it. Many games nowadays require 20-30gb of space so that can eat up a 128gb drive pretty quickly.

Philosopher 03-12-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worthmining (Post 48389458)
TigerDirect has this drive at $149 - VC $10 only expired one hour ago. But precisely for the same concern the capacity is not enough for my desktop OS+App partition I've decided to wait for a sync (non-sandforce) 240gb deal at $1/gb.

For those who move data folders out of OS partition, how would app launch time benefit from it? The technique to move user and programdata folders out of C drive is pretty "advance" last I checked as there is no easy way to do that.

These days, people probably only set things outside the OS partition in case something happens to the OS. So like if you get a bad virus, you just fresh install Windows, and everything on the other partitions will probably be fine. There really isn't a big difference in performance between loading things on different partitions on the same disk anymore, especially now with SSDs.

Whenever you mess with install directories, it's always best to just re-install the program just in case anyway. Even when getting a SSD a lot of people just reinstall Windows because it can be a hassle to go from a platter drive to a SSD because of alignment issues.