Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Contests & Sweepstakes (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Chance to win free PC or trade current smartphone for new no contact Windows Phone (http://slickdeals.net/f/4111691-chance-to-win-free-pc-or-trade-current-smartphone-for-new-no-contact-windows-phone)

simplezeal 03-23-2012 09:58 PM

Chance to win free PC or trade current smartphone for new no contact Windows Phone

1 Attachment(s)
Microsoft is turning its $100 "Smoked by Windows Phone" campaign into a $1,000 challenge at its retail stores across the US this weekend. Visitors can walk into a Microsoft Store between 9AM and 10PM local time to challenge Microsoft to a Windows Phone speed test — winners will walk away with a Hunger Games Special Edition PC and "losers" will be offered the opportunity to swap their current smartphone for a Windows Phone. There are 10 prizes per store each day.

http://content.microsoftstore.com...MSStore_TW
https://twitter.com/#!/MicrosoftS...5363687425

wikipost 03-23-2012 09:58 PM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

Please note, this promotion is different than the deal only part listed in Hot Deals. It will not be merged as this post is about the contest, not the deal.

CONTEST DESCRIPTION:

Contests -
(1) Pocket-to-Picture-to-Post
(2) Real-Time Information with Live Tiles
(3) Using the People Hub to Stay in Touch with the People You Care About Most
(4) Updating Your Status Across Multiple Social Networks
(5) Local Scout ("Challenge").
(6) Pulling up a list of movie times from a local theatre (make sure you download an app like fandango or flixster. the rep used flixster in this case and I could have easily have won if I had downloaded the same app).

This Contest starts at 9:00 AM, local time, on March 22 2012, and ends at 10:00 PM, local time, on March 29, 2012 or whenever the ten (10) prizes per store have been exhausted, whatever comes first ("Entry Period").

If your smartphone completes the Challenge faster than the Microsoft sales associate using the Windows Phone you will be the winner. In the event of a tie between the Windows Phone and Your smartphone your smartphone will be considered the winner.

Contest Prizes

First Prize: One (1) Hunger Games PC (CWF-00587 HP Folio 13 Special Edition). Approximate Retail Value (ARV) $1,049.00.

Microsoft Store Locations
http://content.microsoftstore.com...footertray

Resources on Smoked by Windows Phone
#SmokedByWindowsPhone [twitter.com] - Twitter HashTag
facebook.com/windowsphone [facebook.com]
youtube.com/windowsphone [youtube.com] - Find videos on SmokedbyWindowsPhone
Google [google.com] or Bing [bing.com] - "Smoked by windows phone CES"

Informal Stats on SmokedByWindowsPhone
http://wmpoweruser.com/wp-content...kedmwc.jpg

COSTA MESA STORE EXPERIENCE:
Wait time around 15 - 20 minutes. The promotional hours ended 1 hour before closing time.
Participants are asked to fill out 3 waivers, including 1 to consent to media coverage by Microsoft for marketing purposes, and 1 to consent to the recycling of your phone.
IMPORTANT: You should perform a FULL WIPE / FORMAT / FACTORY RESET on your old device before you hand it to them! You must give consent to allow the recycling firm to access the (software) contents of your phone!
Once they're ready for you to compete, you are asked to choose ONE of the FIVE modes of competition! They did not require specific app usage, so you could just use your browser. This store required participants to use WiFi if their device is capable.
If the phone you want is out of stock, this store offered a $10 gift card + a rain check. You keep your phone in the meantime, they will call you in when the phone you want is in stock.

Mobile Carrier eligible
T-Mobile
Verizon
AT&T

Sprint is no longer carried in their stores.
Promotion Rules:
http://content.microsoftstore.com...hone/rules

This post can be edited by most users to provide up-to-date information about developments of this thread based on user responses, and user findings. Feel free to add, change or remove information shown here as it becomes available. This includes new coupons, rebates, ideas, thread summary, and similar items.

Once a Thread Wiki is added to a thread, "Create Wiki" button will disappear. If you would like to learn more about Thread Wiki feature, click here.

HermitDash 03-23-2012 10:00 PM

Gah None near NY.

euwil 03-23-2012 10:22 PM

Done.

jmor 03-23-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euwil (Post 48708803)
I imagine the store will be flooded with people. Anyone know what Windows Phone they give for your trade in? I noticed they exclude the Nokia Lumia 800.

Well then, what's the point?

xon3R4Te 03-23-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmor (Post 48708855)

There's nothing particularly great about the Lumia handset. It has a small display. All Windows Phone have practically the same specs. You could probably get a nice HTC Titan or Samsung Focus S.

I'd definitely do this if it weren't so far away from my house. I have an old Nokia 5800 lying around.

Cylix 03-23-2012 11:03 PM

I'd do this if I didn't have a regular Focus already...heck, think they'll notice my HTC Flyer isn't a phone? :p

simplezeal 03-23-2012 11:04 PM

Excludes bundles. Phone okay?

Quote:

I imagine the store will be flooded with people. Anyone know what Windows Phone they give for your trade in? I noticed they exclude the Nokia Lumia 800.

They are excluding bundles. May be phone is still okay.

"This offer does not include the following Windows Phones: Nokia Lumia 800 Unlocked GSM Phone Entertainment Bundle - Magenta, CYF-00058 and Nokia Lumia 800 Unlocked GSM Phone Entertainment Bundle - Black, CYF-00059."

Maceart 03-23-2012 11:15 PM

Wait, does that mean my Nokia Nuron can turn into a Nokia Lumia 710? I call bullshit.

Pinkbullet3 03-23-2012 11:16 PM

I don't have smartphone to trade.

blakezilla 03-23-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkbullet3 (Post 48709641)
I don't have smartphone to trade.

go buy one of the cheap android phones from the BB frontpage deal. I would def trade the samsung vitality for one of these newer phones. The phone should still be 49.99,,,it is a prepaid type though...which I can imagine them saying no to.

Souliloquy 03-23-2012 11:28 PM

Not sure if I should trade in my Nexus One for a mystery windows phone. Going to go check it out regardless. Sounds fun at least.

CodWaPeace 03-23-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplezeal (Post 48708273)
Chance to win free PC or trade current smartphone for new no contact Windows Phone
Microsoft is turning its $100 "Smoked by Windows Phone" campaign into a $1,000 challenge at its retail stores across the US this weekend. Visitors can walk into a Microsoft Store between 9AM and 10PM local time to challenge Microsoft to a Windows Phone speed test — winners will walk away with a Hunger Games Special Edition PC and "losers" will be offered the opportunity to swap their current smartphone for a Windows Phone. There are 10 prizes per store each day.

http://content.microsoftstore.com...MSStore_TW
https://twitter.com/#!/MicrosoftS...5363687425

Why would somebody want a No CONTACT Windows Phone. It would be kind of dumb, you would think?

xon3R4Te 03-23-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Souliloquy (Post 48709829)
Not sure if I should trade in my Nexus One for a mystery windows phone. Going to go check it out regardless. Sounds fun at least.

You can always say "no". The trade isn't mandatory. The Nexus One has comparable or inferior to every Windows Phone currently in existence, however.

The only ones with comparable specs are Gen 1 WP devices and are not likely even stocked since most have been discontinued for a while. There's basically very little chance you'd be trading down. (In other words, your phone is ancient.)

dzap 03-23-2012 11:41 PM

Okay. Time to do some research on what they test for. I will smoke any Windows Phone device, as long as they play fair.

CafeAngel 03-23-2012 11:43 PM

Windows phone is not qualified. I guess my AT&T fuze will not qualify then.

lesterkyle 03-23-2012 11:47 PM

Will they accept my LG EnvTouch? It's not Android but it is touchscreen and has some apps even though it's terribly old. My contract on it with Verizon runs out in July.

nodreamer 03-23-2012 11:50 PM

wish they accept dumb phones

Dozens 03-23-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 48709959)
Okay. Time to do some research on what they test for. I will smoke any Windows Phone device, as long as they play fair.

It's not benchmarks or anything.

It's things like uploading your status across multiple social networks, uploading pics to facebook, checking restaurants nearby

They get to pick the challenge

keledog 03-23-2012 11:51 PM

The "challenge" is bs. I went to the Scottsdale store. They basically are comparing their preinstalled windows software using bias tests that are specifically set up to give their phones the advantage. When I challenged the associate some simple tasks like compare how fast a text is sent and received, RANDOM search tests, taking a picture traditionally and uploading it to social networks and then begging them to compare bench tests, or a simple speed test from speedtest.net, they refused. So I did a speed test against a customer's windows phone through speedtest.net. My lg spectrum had a download speed of 47.6 mbps. Upload of 23mbps. His? 14mbps down. 9 mbps up. The associate claimed that didn't prove anything and nobody would use that in "real world."

Yeah. Who cares how fast you can surf the Web, download a song, video or stream something on your smart phone. Who does that kind of stuff?

dzap 03-23-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dozens (Post 48710041)
It's not benchmarks or anything.

It's things like uploading your status across multiple social networks, uploading pics to facebook, checking restaurants nearby

They get to pick the challenge

I know. I'll see what I can do with my Sensation as quickly as possible with the right app.

And if that doesn't work out I'll bring in my old Windows Mobile smartphone to "upgrade" to a Windows phone. :P

soapdeity 03-23-2012 11:58 PM

*This Contest starts at 9:00 AM, local time, on March 22 2012, and ends at 10:00 PM, local time, on March 29, 2012 or whenever the ten (10) prizes per store have been exhausted, whatever comes first ("Entry Period").

dzap 03-24-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soapdeity (Post 48710109)
*This Contest starts at 9:00 AM, local time, on March 22 2012, and ends at 10:00 PM, local time, on March 29, 2012 or whenever the ten (10) prizes per store have been exhausted, whatever comes first ("Entry Period").

..that's only for the laptop. AKA if you "win" which most likely won't happen the way they rig the contest.

PCLou 03-24-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

These "test" are common task tests that many will do while using any smartphone. Most non-WP smartphones will lose as they require more steps to complete the same task, and the required function is not natively embedded in the OS the way MS's is. FACT! You can check out many Youtube vids on Smoked by Windows Phone to see why.

chanu99 03-24-2012 12:01 AM

can i go trade in my old iphone 3g or does it have to be android?

xon3R4Te 03-24-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soapdeity (Post 48710109)

The fact that Microsoft practically never loses this (admittedly biased) competition means that the contest will be going on for a while.

Dozens 03-24-2012 12:03 AM

They also say they get to pick the tests, so ... if they see you with a Galaxy Nexus or 4S they probably aren't going to give you the camera challenge. :D

madrascaldavid 03-24-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keledog (Post 48710047)
The "challenge" is bs. I went to the Scottsdale store. They basically are comparing their preinstalled windows software using bias tests that are specifically set up to give their phones the advantage. When I challenged the associate some simple tasks like compare how fast a text is sent and received, RANDOM search tests, taking a picture traditionally and uploading it to social networks and then begging them to compare bench tests, or a simple speed test from speedtest.net, they refused. So I did a speed test against a customer's windows phone through speedtest.net. My lg spectrum had a download speed of 47.6 mbps. Upload of 23mbps. His? 14mbps down. 9 mbps up. The associate claimed that didn't prove anything and nobody would use that in "real world."

Yeah. Who cares how fast you can surf the Web, download a song, video or stream something on your smart phone. Who does that kind of stuff?

Haha I was wondering about their "challenge". I regularly get 40+ mbps on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus via speedtest.net. I figured there had to be a catch, and this is exactly what I was imagining. This rigged contest of windows phone vs. competitors sounds typical since their phones lack in almost every facet.

dzap 03-24-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCLou (Post 48710129)
These "test" are common task tests that many will do while using any smartphone. Most non-WP smartphones will lose as they require more steps to complete the same task, and the required function is not natively embedded in the OS the way MS's is. FACT! You can check out many Youtube vids on Smoked by Windows Phone to see why.

Oh I know and there are things embedded into my OS that require more steps to complete on Windows Phone. So to each his own.

I've seen some of the Youtube videos. There were a couple that beat it mostly HTC phones, an old Apple iPhone (still not sure how that happened to be quite honest..), and a Nokia PureView, which Nokia was fine with since the Windows Phone used during the contest was a Nokia Lumia 800.

drac 03-24-2012 12:04 AM

Overclock the crap outa your phone (but keep it stable), then go in and win it for the team

also make shortcut customizations in preparation

YARDEE 03-24-2012 12:05 AM

just made my apt for the am, fingers crossed

Binar 03-24-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YARDEE (Post 48710167)

what phone you gonna use?

dzap 03-24-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YARDEE (Post 48710167)

Yeah, curious. Overclocking and getting apps and updating my camera app as well as we speak :P

dzap 03-24-2012 12:09 AM

hahha...I'm watching some of the videos and the guy with the Atrix wants to lose..his screen is already cracked. :rofl2:

Dozens 03-24-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 48710187)
Yeah, curious. Overclocking and getting apps and updating my camera app as well as we speak :P

Use Launcher7 to troll them. :lmao:

m1nuterice 03-24-2012 12:10 AM

Can I go in and have them smoke my Blackberry 7100 and trade in that phone for a new Windows phone?

dzap 03-24-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dozens (Post 48710207)
Use Launcher7 to troll them. :lmao:

Oh that would be funny.. "I have a Windows Phone and I was just smoked by a Windows Phone" :rofl2:

...this is total crap. I just saw the disclaimer in the video that they get to use WiFi and I'm stuck with the latency of my 3G or 4G network? Bullshit.

jaloola 03-24-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

There's a bunch of videos showing the challenge here: http://www.youtube.com/user/windowsphone/videos

The only problem is, 99% of the time, you won't be able to smoke them because the competition is simply not "fair." And I say that because I'm a Windows Phone owner myself, having had one since December 2010. Why? Because everything they're going to have you do, as shown in the videos, are literally built directly into latest version of the Windows Phone OS (7.5) without the use of an app. Finding a good restaurant close by. Posting a picture you just took to your social networks in one press. Connecting with all your friends from different social networks on one screen.

Not to mention you're going to be pitted against someone purposely trained to make sure that, once again, you're going to lose 99% of the time. And I wouldn't put it past them to play some tricks as well, such as being on a faster internet connection, for say, in the first place than yourself. EDIT: Looks like you figured that out already while I was writing this post

Bottom line is, you're going to be pitted against an employee specificially trained to make sure that you lose and they win and a phone that's, to put it bluntly, specifically made to complete the actions they give you in a no-brainer fashion. Unless if you have a Windows Phone yourself (which is disqualified, no surprise there) or find a way to one-up them good, seriously, you're going to walk out of your local Microsoft Store disappointed.

Sorry if this is a downer - but you'll see what I'm saying when you get there if you haven't already in the videos ;)

vas0122 03-24-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

FREE GIFT OFFER
Entrants that lost the Challenge can get a free Windows Phone by recycling their losing smartphone. This offer does not include the following Windows Phones: Nokia Lumia 800 Unlocked GSM Phone Entertainment Bundle - Magenta, CYF-00058 and Nokia Lumia 800 Unlocked GSM Phone Entertainment Bundle - Black, CYF-00059
I want to loose this. Will my Nokia N79 Qualify?

PCLou 03-24-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 48710157)
Oh I know and there are things embedded into my OS that require more steps to complete on Windows Phone. So to each his own.

I've seen some of the Youtube videos. There were a couple that beat it mostly HTC phones, an old Apple iPhone (still not sure how that happened to be quite honest..), and a Nokia PureView, which Nokia was fine with since the Windows Phone used during the contest was a Nokia Lumia 800.

This is true. These tasks, however, that MS tests aren't uncommon, and many people who use their phone a lot for popular social media would benefit greatly by saving steps or time from using the WP. That is most of the point. The WP also is faster natively than many due to MS's restrictions to processor/specifications so the OS and apps are built around a predefined set of hardware.

runtohell121 03-24-2012 12:18 AM

Finding restaurant seems like the hardest challenge for Android/iOS... my AOKP SGSII can probably beat the picture challenge.. But really depends on the network connection :lol:

chenga91 03-24-2012 12:19 AM

Anyone know if I can just put in my SIM card in my Dad's first gen iPhone and "upgrade" to a Windows Phone for free?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenga91 (Post 48710403)
Anyone know if I can just put in my SIM card in my Dad's first gen iPhone and "upgrade" to a Windows Phone for free?

Edit: By losing, of course.

jaloola 03-24-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 48710225)
Oh that would be funny.. "I have a Windows Phone and I was just smoked by a Windows Phone" :rofl2:

I would love to appear in a video like that, except I would be the one doing the smoking and the Microsoft employee would be the one smoked with my Windows Phone.

Aegen 03-24-2012 12:22 AM

any n900 owners here?

these rigged tests are easy as hell as long as you know what kind of bullshit they're asking you to do. a 4 line bash script will surely be faster than some shitty app.

drac 03-24-2012 12:23 AM

What kinda phones are they giving out to the "losers". I put it in quotations cuz I know that many will be going in with the intention of "losing" :lol:

runtohell121 03-24-2012 12:25 AM

Actually.. the "4 star" restaurant challenge is doable on Android.. open up Maps.. type in restaurant and it'll show you restaurants near by with ratings on it :lol: Just hope that the GPS works in their store..

Dozens 03-24-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agenesis (Post 48710429)
any n900 owners here?

these rigged tests are easy as hell as long as you know what kind of bullshit they're asking you to do. a 4 line bash script will surely be faster than some shitty app.

They want Androids, Blackberries, and iPhones.

Aegen 03-24-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dozens (Post 48710443)
They want Androids, Blackberries, and iPhones.

they're not getting my n900 or s2 :shake:

and it looks like the have one in tysons corner, which is around 5 minutes away from my house.

will be going tomorrow :bounce:

throwaway9503 03-24-2012 12:30 AM

I love my Android, but it needs to do some shit better. Google Maps is awesome, but sometimes it can be clunkly as hell when doing Navigation. Why must I press 5 extra buttons to do what it should know what I want to do? I have my GPS turned off all the time..why not turn it on automatically when I click Navigation. Android is good, it just feels stupid as shit sometimes. W7 Phones are nice, but that shit has no apps. Iphones are just pure trash, so I stay away from those.

qhduong 03-24-2012 12:32 AM

Do we need mobile internet o.n our phone to qualify? I don't have a data plan

Binar 03-24-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by throwaway9503 (Post 48710455)
Iphones are just pure trash, so I stay away from those.

Care to explain?

Aegen 03-24-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Binar (Post 48710501)
Care to explain?

explanation: he hasn't used one before, although he might claim otherwise. textbook example of blind apple hate.

qhduong 03-24-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Care to explain?

None needed

throwaway9503 03-24-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Care to explain?

Just way behind for my standards. I feel like I'm stuck in an enclosed world when using any Apple Product. Android just has a lot more freedom

Quote:

Originally Posted by agenesis (Post 48710521)
explanation: he hasn't used one before, although he might claim otherwise. textbook example of blind apple hate.

I had an Iphone 4 brah before I traded it back in for a Galaxy S II. So shut it

microkelvin 03-24-2012 12:34 AM

It doesn't make sense. The losers get the nice windows phones for free (straight swap), while the winners get the shitty pc game?

dzap 03-24-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agenesis (Post 48710521)

For Christ sake people...we are hating on WINDOWS PHONE HERE, not iPhones. If you want to trade in your crappy iPhone for one in this contest, then that's your prerogative.

But we're here to try to beat Windows Phone..remember that.

throwaway9503 03-24-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microkelvin (Post 48710561)
It doesn't make sense. The losers get the nice windows phones for free (straight swap), while the winners get the shitty pc game?

You should try to find a deal for Hooked on Phonics:

Hunger Games Special Edition PC

leixusam 03-24-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microkelvin (Post 48710561)

It's the computer bundle, not just the game :)

INeedSpeed 03-24-2012 12:36 AM

I have a couple of Cliq XTs I use for the cardiotrainer app without sim cards, tempted to have me and a friend each take one in. Would be nice if they'd just take em without having to do the contest, we'd lose for sure but it will save time and spare us the humiliation! Hopefully turn them in a couple of Radars or Lumia 710s.

Binar 03-24-2012 12:37 AM

Siri is my only friend

Gigahertz21 03-24-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesterkyle (Post 48710003)
Will they accept my LG EnvTouch? It's not Android but it is touchscreen and has some apps even though it's terribly old. My contract on it with Verizon runs out in July.

I have the same phone through Verizon. It's been an okay phone, I like the big keyboard for texting, but the battery life doesn't seem that great. Even if it's not being used I have to charge it every couple of days. I went to the Verizon store to see what other phones they have, and most of their basic texting phones have that slide out design and the keyboards are either mushy or the keys too small for big man fingers.

I'll never buy a smartphone and pay that $30 a month data plan that I would never really use. The only thing I would like to be able to do is look up scores come football season and check prices on items I might be looking at in a store. Not gonna pay $30 a month for that though.

So I guess I'll be keeping my env touch for now. I still find it hard to believe that many people buy smart phones and pay that data package price. When I leave my house I have things to do, I don't want to mess with social networking sites or e-mail until I get home on my computer.

throwaway9503 03-24-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 48710589)
For Christ sake people...we are hating on WINDOWS PHONE HERE, not iPhones. If you want to trade in your crappy iPhone for one in this contest, then that's your prerogative.

But we're here to try to beat Windows Phone..remember that.

Apple stuff sucks. It's so noob-ified that it's infuriating to even try using an Iphone after using Android. The worse is the BLIND HATE from the Apple fanboys. Standing in line for technology that is atleast a year behind.

throwaway9503 03-24-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigahertz21 (Post 48710637)
I have the same phone through Verizon. It's been an okay phone, I like the big keyboard for texting, but the battery life doesn't seem that great. Even if it's not being used I have to charge it every couple of days. I went to the Verizon store to see what other phones they have, and most of their basic texting phones have that slide out design and the keyboards are either mushy or the keys too small for big man fingers.

I'll never buy a smartphone and pay that $30 a month data plan that I would never really use. The only thing I would like to be able to do is look up scores come football season and check prices on items I might be looking at in a store. Not gonna pay $30 a month for that though.

So I guess I'll be keeping my env touch for now. I still find it hard to believe that many people buy smart phones and pay that data package price. When I leave my house I have things to do, I don't want to mess with social networking sites or e-mail until I get home on my computer.

Stop being cheap, that $30 is well worth it

Rebound 03-24-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by throwaway9503 (Post 48710659)
Apple stuff sucks. It's so noob-ified that it's infuriating to even try using an Iphone after using Android. The worse is the BLIND HATE from the Apple fanboys. Standing in line for technology that is atleast a year behind.

You need to grow up. I think your mommy is calling. She wants you to take out the trash and finish your homework packet.

throwaway9503 03-24-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebound (Post 48710735)
You need to grow up. I think your mommy is calling. She wants you to take out the trash and finish your homework packet.

You need to stop being such an Apple fanboy. Get your head out of your butt and try something new

dzap 03-24-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agenesis (Post 48710665)
read the context before opening your mouth, dumbass.

:lol: I was saying don't make this another fanboy thread because that's what you two were stating with the name-calling. You're on the wrong site. I'm not hating on the iPhone. No qualms with them, just counter-trolling. I don't hate on Apple products. Just wanted to see your true nature. That's all. :) Work here is done.

But like I said, we're here to beat Windows Phone, regardless of phone or OS (well, needs to be some sort of smartphone OS I assume). So quit with the fighting.

srb122 03-24-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Love it! That's totally something I would do and say!

throwaway9503 03-24-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 48710779)
:lol: I was saying don't make this another fanboy thread because that's what you two were stating with the name-calling. You're on the wrong site. I'm not hating on the iPhone. No qualms with them, just counter-trolling. I don't hate on Apple products. Just wanted to see your true nature. That's all. :) Work here is done.

But like I said, we're here to beat Windows Phone, regardless of phone or OS (well, needs to be some sort of smartphone OS I assume). So quit with the fighting.

There would be no fighting if Apple fans weren't soo pretentious. Say one bad thing about any Apple product, and it's like you committed genocide. Notice that I was pointing out some flaws in Android and W7 as well. But these idiots can't see past that. Steve Jobs died because he was too ignorant to seek proper medical treatment. That arrogance was passed down to his fanboys.

Aegen 03-24-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

you still have no idea on what the hell is going on. next time get a grasp of what is actually going on before opening your mouth and making a fool out of yourself.

WackyP 03-24-2012 12:49 AM

If anybody is willing to take my crap entry-level Android phone & give me something usable for just a trade, then I am there.

xon3R4Te 03-24-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

No one wants to beat Windows Phone. We all know it's a rigged contest.

Also, practically everyone in this thread will have a neutral to positive perception of Windows Phone since most individuals here are interested in trading their old phones for one.

(So, yeah, hate toward non WP OSes actually makes more sense than hate toward WP.)

dzap 03-24-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agenesis (Post 48710807)
you still have no idea on what the hell is going on. next time get a grasp of what is actually going on before opening your mouth and making a fool out of yourself.

...? Why so passive-aggressive? I'm not name-calling. Why don't you go ahead and explain to me "what's going on" then. I'd love to hear it. :)

Maceart 03-24-2012 12:55 AM

Okay guys stop arguing about Apple vs. Microsoft. Seriously, just use whatever floats your boat, or unrustles your jimmies.

Anyway, I'm more interested in the trade-in deal. Is it possible to trade in any smartphone for a brand new contract-less windows phone? Like even a Nokia Nuron/C7? Unless there are trade in values involved...

Aegen 03-24-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 48710837)
...? Why so passive-aggressive? I'm not name-calling. Why don't you go ahead and explain to me "what's going on" then. I'd love to hear it. :)

you want a diaper change too?

KiLLAJaTT 03-24-2012 12:56 AM

here i come with my jailbroken Iphone 4s ..it will rape windows phone after Cydia mods I've done to my phone lol (i'm pretty sure they looking for stock smartphones not jailbroken or rooted lol)

(1) Pocket-to-Picture-to-Post --??
(2) Real-Time Information with Live Tiles - not sure how will u do this on iphone 4s?
(3) Using the People Hub to Stay in Touch with the People You Care About Most - 1 second on jailbroken iphone 4s with cydia mods
(4) Updating Your Status Across Multiple Social Networks - 5 seconds on jailbroken iphone 4s with cydia mods
(5) Local Scout ("Challenge"). --??

dzap 03-24-2012 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xon3R4Te (Post 48710813)
No one wants to beat Windows Phone. We all know it's a rigged contest.

Also, practically everyone in this thread will have a neutral to positive perception of Windows Phone since most individuals here are interested in trading their old phones for one.

(So, yeah, hate toward non WP OSes actually makes more sense than hate toward WP.)

It's definitely not impossible to beat Windows Phone. Harder, but not impossible. See chart here.

..if you beat it you get the laptop, if you lose then you can do a direct swap to a Windows Phone which I know most people are going to do.

I want a Nokia Lumia personally. It's excluded but I want the 710, but I would need a smartphone on T-Mobile (that I'm not willing to give up)., I only have Sprint smartphones.

Does anyone know if they will let you choose or will it have to be a swap to your carrier?

erchen 03-24-2012 12:57 AM

decision made for me -
shut out - nothing in the northeast...if I wanted to to it.

leixusam 03-24-2012 12:57 AM

Hey guys I just wrote some thoughts on this... I thought it was a great marketing move from Microsoft. Let me know what y'all think :)

Binar 03-24-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by throwaway9503 (Post 48710803)
There would be no fighting if Apple fans weren't soo pretentious. Say one bad thing about any Apple product, and it's like you committed genocide. Notice that I was pointing out some flaws in Android and W7 as well. But these idiots can't see past that. Steve Jobs died because he was too ignorant to seek proper medical treatment. That arrogance was passed down to his fanboys.

He died of a rare form of pancreas cancer.This type of cancer has no cure ... Not sure if an Adroid phone would've cured him tho. You let us know

throwaway9503 03-24-2012 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Binar (Post 48710875)
He died of a rare form of pancreas cancer.This type of cancer has no cure ... Not sure if an Adroid phone would've cured him tho. You let us know

Nope, read about it. He had a form of pancreas cancer that was treatable, but he decided to go on an alternative juice diet. By the time his idiot ass got some common sense, it had spread too fast and his chances were greatly reduced. He had a chance to fight it off, but he gambled with his life. The man was a good salesman, but was truly an ignorant prick.

chenga91 03-24-2012 01:03 AM

Cmon you guys, lets keep this thread civil and relevant to the topic please.

NoBantheSnowman 03-24-2012 01:05 AM

HTC HD2, multi-boot w/ wp 6.5(nand flashed), winbuntu 7(3g enabled), android,
bt5.
just keep coming in booting with a different os lol.

Binar 03-24-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenga91 (Post 48710897)
Cmon you guys, lets keep this thread civil and relevant to the topic please.

We are discussing about cancer. It's a known fact that cellphones can cause cancer.We are on topic

phlip00ws6 03-24-2012 01:07 AM

Its not about how it's scores or the actual performance... its more about the navigation of it and getting the task completed before them..

azm 03-24-2012 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiLLAJaTT (Post 48710853)
here i come with my jailbroken Iphone 4s ..it will rape windows phone after Cydia mods I've done to my phone lol (i'm pretty sure they looking for stock smartphones not jailbroken or rooted lol)

(1) Pocket-to-Picture-to-Post --??
(2) Real-Time Information with Live Tiles - not sure how will u do this on iphone 4s?
(3) Using the People Hub to Stay in Touch with the People You Care About Most - 1 second on jailbroken iphone 4s with cydia mods
(4) Updating Your Status Across Multiple Social Networks - 5 seconds on jailbroken iphone 4s with cydia mods
(5) Local Scout ("Challenge"). --??

for 2.)

probably install weather icon from cydia so you can check temperature without actually launching the app?

cimorene 03-24-2012 01:14 AM

I'm disappointed. I was expecting to see everyone posting away with their super modded CM7 or jailbroken iphone with tons of cydia mods designed to beat the crap out of microsoft's "rigged" tests. Are you suggesting an entire mod community can't beat MSFT in simple tasks?

Where are you guys??!

Andie 03-24-2012 01:15 AM

I wish there was some way I could just mail them my old unlocked Android phone and get a WP in the mail. I have a Galaxy Nexus but want to try a WP.

GhostShaDoW 03-24-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

HOW IN THE HECK ARE YOUR SPEEDS THAT FAST? WiFi?

GhostShaDoW 03-24-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killajatt (Post 48710853)
here i come with my jailbroken iphone 4s ..it will rape windows phone after cydia mods i've done to my phone lol (i'm pretty sure they looking for stock smartphones not jailbroken or rooted lol)

(1) pocket-to-picture-to-post --??
(2) real-time information with live tiles - not sure how will u do this on iphone 4s?
(3) using the people hub to stay in touch with the people you care about most - 1 second on jailbroken iphone 4s with cydia mods
(4) updating your status across multiple social networks - 5 seconds on jailbroken iphone 4s with cydia mods
(5) local scout ("challenge"). --??

get it!!

hooked_on_SD 03-24-2012 01:22 AM

For the phone swap, a "phone contract is not included". I interpret this to be that MS is not going to force a contract upon you, but you must get one or renew one with a carrier of your choice (most likely with a data plan). So am I reading too much into this, or has someone really done the phone swap successfully without a contract?

dzap 03-24-2012 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andie (Post 48710961)
I wish there was some way I could just mail them my old unlocked Android phone and get a WP in the mail. I have a Galaxy Nexus but want to try a WP.

? You do realize it would be more cost beneficial to just sell your Galaxy Nexus on ebay and buy a Windows Phone on ebay?

Unless you want a Nokia Lumia 800 (which is excluded from the swap), your Nexus is worth more than almost all Windows Phones in this contest.

WackyP 03-24-2012 01:29 AM

This challenge started 2 days ago. So it is possible that it might have already ended at your local MS store. Also it sounds once they have given away all the winner prizes, there will no longer be a chance to trade in your losing phone. Thus for everybody to take advantage of the trade-in, the contest has to go on for as long as possible (final date of March 29).

chenga91 03-24-2012 01:29 AM

Hypothetically speaking, if someone wanted to trade in their iPhone for a Windows Phone (not saying whether people will actually do it or not), wouldn't they have a problem since the iPhone uses micro-SIM cards and the WP uses regular sized SIM cards?

Or am I wrong about Windows Phones using regular SIM cards?

recklessfire13 03-24-2012 01:31 AM

i have an old HTC XV6900, you think they will take that phone? Its no longer under a contract, but I am really confused on the whole swapping business. They just hand you a new phone with no contract? can anyone confirm?

dzap 03-24-2012 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenga91 (Post 48711071)
Hypothetically speaking, if someone wanted to trade in their iPhone for a Windows Phone (not saying whether people will actually do it or not), wouldn't they have a problem since the iPhone uses micro-SIM cards and the WP uses regular sized SIM cards?

Or am I wrong about Windows Phones using regular SIM cards?

Not all Windows Phones use regular sim cards. Windows Phone are made by several manufacturers (HTC, Nokia, Samsung, etc.)

Nokia Lumia uses microsims for example.

AFAIK, it's not a direct swap, and I'm sure they would activate the new sim in store as would any other phone if it was required.

GoGoGadgetFlow 03-24-2012 01:37 AM

My girlfriend has the Samsung Note. Think it'll be alright? :)

dzap 03-24-2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoGoGadgetFlow (Post 48711109)
My girlfriend has the Samsung Note. Think it'll be alright? :)

I doubt it'll win since Galaxy S II has lost a few times. It's not so much about processing power as it is doing more "social" things I guess. Most of the tests are social (finding places to eat, finding directions, uploading pictures to facebook, etc.).

microkelvin 03-24-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leixusam (Post 48710869)
Hey guys I just wrote some thoughts on this... I thought it was a great marketing move from Microsoft. Let me know what y'all think :)

http://tumblr.leixusam.com/post/1...7-campaign

Stupid writing. Get the introduction right, will you.

Quote:

Premise: Microsoft recently launched a marketing campaign called “Smoked by Windows Phone”. You bring in your smartphone (Android, iPhone, BB), and they challenge you to perform a common task. If you beat them, then you win a computer bundled valued at $1,000. If you lose, you get to trade in your phone for a WP7 phone.
It's not a common task. It's a series of tasks. If you lose, nobody will force you to trade in your phone.

This is not brilliant. It's as dumb as bing promotion. They've lost million dollars to slickdealers and they've gained nothing on marketing.

dzap 03-24-2012 01:44 AM

Okay I just had another idea..what happens then if you bring in an Android phone and it runs on a prepaid carrier (like Virgin Mobile for example). Surely they can't activate any Windows Phone on Virgin Mobile, and will have to give you a choice of which phone on which carrier you would like, right?

xon3R4Te 03-24-2012 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microkelvin (Post 48711119)
They've lost million dollars to slickdealers and they've gained nothing on marketing.

I disagree. They've at least brought attention to the WP platform to the SlickDealer community. Many SDers are now considering WP when they weren't before.

The effect will be felt even after the promotion ends because WP is, in fact, currently the most competitively priced platforms at the moment.

Optimus V/T/S user? Try a Samsung Focus.

moSom 03-24-2012 01:55 AM

This reminds me of one of those carnival games where it's extremely hard to win the giant stuffed animal.

Good luck.

milko 03-24-2012 01:56 AM

I suppose you can't bring a custom rom/oc'ed phone for challenge, ah!

dzap 03-24-2012 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milko (Post 48711151)
I suppose you can't bring a custom rom/oc'ed phone for challenge, ah!

You can. It will still beat it. Check out the videos. Has beaten Galaxy SII's and the Galaxy Nexus, I'm waiting for someone to lose with a Galaxy Note.

Honestly, I'm not so sure how happy Samsung would be about this considering that is their flagship phone, and they do make Windows Phone devices too :lol:

EDIT: Nevermind. I see the Galaxy Note has already lost to Windows Phone during the 100 euro challenge. :lol:

Freeloader87 03-24-2012 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 48711161)
You can. It will still beat it. Check out the videos. Has beaten Galaxy SII's and the Galaxy Nexus, I'm waiting for someone to lose with a Galaxy Note.

Honestly, I'm not so sure how happy Samsung would be about this considering that is their flagship phone, and they do make Windows Phone devices too :lol:

the challenge isnt really on the hardware but the software so i dont think they would care too much

WackyP 03-24-2012 02:02 AM

Virgin only activates their own phones. There are however other prepaid providers that lets you bring your own phone. In regarding what losers get, here is what was written on wmpoweruser.com.

"However, even for those who lose the challenge, Microsoft will offer, free of charge, any Windows Phone of their choosing (excluding the Nokia Lumia 800 bundle) either contract-free (given that they give up their current phone) or on a new two-year contract (no need to give up their current phone)."

dzap 03-24-2012 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WackyP (Post 48711177)
Virgin only activates their own phones. There are however other prepaid providers that lets you bring your own phone. In regarding what losers get, here is what was written on wmpoweruser.com.

"However, even for those who lose the challenge, Microsoft will offer, free of charge, any Windows Phone of their choosing (excluding the Nokia Lumia 800 bundle) either contract-free (given that they give up their current phone) or on a new two-year contract (no need to give up their current phone)."

...so see this is what I'm asking. What if I'm
a.) willing to give up my current phone
b.) on a prepaid carrier (like Virgin Mobile).

...surely, they would let me choose my own phone on my carrier of choice then, since they could not activate Windows Phone on Virgin Mobile.

WackyP 03-24-2012 02:22 AM

It could be that you have both options 1 and 2. On the other hand, they might give you only the second choice. No idea though. It is their rules.

scrapplejoe 03-24-2012 02:25 AM

Lumia 900 release date - April 8th!!!!!

Cannot wait!!!

chenga91 03-24-2012 02:28 AM

Hm..I currently have a dumb phone, but my dad has an old iPhone 1st Gen that he isn't using. Anyone think I can get the Windows Phone by putting my SIM card in the iPhone, go to Microsoft Store, asking them to swap without playing the game since I know I'll lose and don't want to be embarrassed (because I can't really use the iPhone in the contests due to no data plan)?

aznatama 03-24-2012 02:31 AM

I wonder if rules will allow cooked custom firmwares... say.. one that's stripped of ALL unnecessary background services, and optimized for only the required tasks...

TAGcaver 03-24-2012 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WackyP (Post 48711177)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 48711195)
...so see this is what I'm asking. What if I'm
a.) willing to give up my current phone
b.) on a prepaid carrier (like Virgin Mobile).

...surely, they would let me choose my own phone on my carrier of choice then, since they could not activate Windows Phone on Virgin Mobile.

It seems very clear to me. Your (b) point is irrelevant. They don't care who your current carrier is.
1.)If you want a phone without giving up your current one, you must choose a 2 year contract with someone.
2.)If you give them your phone, they will give you a free contract-free phone. What you do with it is your business.

MeatCatalog 03-24-2012 02:41 AM

Anyone know what the dev market is like for windows phone? I've been rejecting the whole windows phone idea for years now because a) winmo 6.5 was utter shit and b) there can't be the depth of dev like there is on android and iOS. Anyone know just how deviated it is?

dzap 03-24-2012 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAGcaver (Post 48711335)
It seems very clear to me. Your (b) point is irrelevant. They don't care who your current carrier is.
1.)If you want a phone without giving up your current one, you must choose a 2 year contract with someone.
2.)If you give them your phone, they will give you a free contract-free phone. What you do with it is your business.

Okay see that's what I have assumed too, but others are saying they do a direct-swap (maybe activation?) in-store as well. And that the direct swap would be carrier based (let's say you have an Evo with Sprint, they would only give you an Arrive with Sprint, but not a Lumia from T-Mobile for example).

So as long as point 2 holds true and they don't care, then I think I'm good to go.

Lindsford 03-24-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by throwaway9503 (Post 48710659)

Name one manufacturer who's matched Macbook Airs build quality, all those shitty "ultrabooks" are so flimsy and suck in sales.

Name one tablet that is ahead of iPad 3. Ready go.

I don't see many 2048x1536 tablets..:lol:

thanatossassin 03-24-2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madrascaldavid (Post 48710155)
Haha I was wondering about their "challenge". I regularly get 40+ mbps on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus via speedtest.net. I figured there had to be a catch, and this is exactly what I was imagining. This rigged contest of windows phone vs. competitors sounds typical since their phones lack in almost every facet.

You're talking about internet speed, a factor NOT controlled by your phone but rather your service provider. The test is about using the phone and getting things done, I don't see that constituting as being rigged

thanatossassin 03-24-2012 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LxMxFxD (Post 48711359)
Anyone know what the dev market is like for windows phone? I've been rejecting the whole windows phone idea for years now because a) winmo 6.5 was utter shit and b) there can't be the depth of dev like there is on android and iOS. Anyone know just how deviated it is?

Marketplace is pretty good, of course not as good as Android or iOS, but it is the fastest growing app market. Check here to see if the apps you want are already on WP7: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/marketplace

WM6.5 was utter shit, but so was Froyo (and Gingerbread IMO). Simply put, WP7 is in no way related to 6.5 except by numbering sequence and the windows name. These phones are fast and efficient. I was very critical of WP7 when it was released, but I quickly learned most of my preconceived notions about "Another Crappy Windows Phone" were very wrong.

XReflection 03-24-2012 03:45 AM

damnit dude, none near me..

DDriver 03-24-2012 03:52 AM

So to clarify. The swapped phone will be locked or unlocked?

Second question: if I get Lumina 710 (it is provided by T-Mobile) will I be able to use it on a 30$ Walmart/T-Mobile plan?

thanatossassin 03-24-2012 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenga91 (Post 48711263)
Hm..I currently have a dumb phone, but my dad has an old iPhone 1st Gen that he isn't using. Anyone think I can get the Windows Phone by putting my SIM card in the iPhone, go to Microsoft Store, asking them to swap without playing the game since I know I'll lose and don't want to be embarrassed (because I can't really use the iPhone in the contests due to no data plan)?

Doesn't data automatically activate when you put a sim card into an iphone? I remember that happening with my old 3g, but I say you should try it either way.

thanatossassin 03-24-2012 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDriver (Post 48711669)

Second question: if I get Lumina 710 (it is provided by T-Mobile) will I be able to use it on a 30$ Walmart/T-Mobile plan?

The phone would conceivably be locked to a carrier, as I'm sure the carriers are subsidizing this in some way.

As for the Walmart plan, I haven't heard the most amazing things about it, but to answer the question, here's a review of the plan on Walmart's site:

YOU CAN ONLY USE THIS (Walmart $30 T-mobile Plan) ON A T-MOBILE PHONE PURCHASED FROM WAL-MART. If you are on a pre-paid TMO plan you are not eligible to transfer to the new $30 plan. You can't port your number either."

Hope that helps :)

stnrbob 03-24-2012 04:04 AM

I wonder if the phone even has to work. Technically, a phone that doesn't do anything loses the challenge.

They also don't post any restrictions besides it cannot be a windows phone.

Any try to trade in a dud?

robinski_ 03-24-2012 04:08 AM

nvm, thought it was a hunger games pc game lol

just program an app for whatever OS you're using that does the same thing as the windows app, put it on a galaxy 2 and you'll be all set

the hardware cannot compete

dorkyden 03-24-2012 04:15 AM

so no one has done it yet? whats the best windows phone to trade for? thanks!

green_key 03-24-2012 04:24 AM

you can use any t-mobile compatible phone on walmart plan....

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDriver (Post 48711669)

kida182001 03-24-2012 04:25 AM

The restriction is it can't be a Windows Phone. What about Windows Mobile 6.5? I have an old HTC Shadow that I wouldn't mind getting rid of to get a new phone :D

gogreen108 03-24-2012 04:43 AM

No stores in NJ or PA :(

alreadyposted 03-24-2012 05:19 AM

funny how far one goes to overclock and customize their phone just to try and beat some wm7 phone in some simple tasks , to be fair wm7 phones are speedy and responsive in simple basic stuff and i enjoyed using it. my inner geek however prefer my galaxy nexus

SiloSmashers 03-24-2012 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmor (Post 48708855)

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by madrascaldavid (Post 48710155)

Nokia is dead. The windows phones they make suck and suck hard and suck everyday. Check out the ananatech review for more specifics about how they suck. I wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot clown pole.

siliconcowboy 03-24-2012 05:30 AM

Man I wish I had a Microsoft store near by. I'd activate my Palm Pre again and take that swap in a heart-beat :)

Redbull1227 03-24-2012 05:31 AM

Rules state that Phone Contract is not included. Does it mean, it's not included in the gift?and I will be signing up for 2 year contract if I loose the contest?
http://content.microsoftstore.com...hone/rules

MeatCatalog 03-24-2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thanatossassin (Post 48711629)
Marketplace is pretty good, of course not as good as Android or iOS, but it is the fastest growing app market. Check here to see if the apps you want are already on WP7: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/marketplace

WM6.5 was utter shit, but so was Froyo (and Gingerbread IMO). Simply put, WP7 is in no way related to 6.5 except by numbering sequence and the windows name. These phones are fast and efficient. I was very critical of WP7 when it was released, but I quickly learned most of my preconceived notions about "Another Crappy Windows Phone" were very wrong.

You have gottttt to be kidding. Windows mobile was the worst trash i've ever used of any os and that includes windows 3.1 windows 95/win98 etc. I went from an htc touch diamond to an htc hero with android 1.6 (donut I think?) on it and it was night and day. No comparison in the slightest. So how you could say gingerbread and froyo were/are terrible just makes me question your entire intelligence. Honestly!

wiebel03 03-24-2012 05:55 AM

Can anyone verify "losing" and trading in a phone that isn't activated? Would love to get a free windows phone instead of the muve

TalkJava 03-24-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Microsoft Gods Say... "We are here to tell you what you want and don't want. What you need and don't need. Open Source it for losers and cattle. Google is the antichrist. Trust Bill....Trust Bill.....Trust Bill....Upgrade..Patch...Upgrade...Patch...Everything is working fine. Send Money..." :worship:

Westmeadow 03-24-2012 06:11 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this contest says nothing about a TRADE in of your current smartphone for a Windows Phone.

It states "And even if you lose, you still win, because we'll give you a free Windows Phone."

You go in, you lose, they give you a phone. The title of this thread is a bit misleading.

EDIT: Nevermind, found this on their website - "Entrants that lost the Challenge can get a free Windows Phone by recycling their losing smartphone."

wiebel03 03-24-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westmeadow (Post 48713691)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this contest says nothing about a TRADE in of your current smartphone for a Windows Phone.

It states "And even if you lose, you still win, because we'll give you a free Windows Phone."

You go in, you lose, they give you a phone. The title of this thread is a bit misleading.

The terms state you must participate in the Microsoft store recycling program in order to receive the free phone

4deals 03-24-2012 06:39 AM

Pre-paid phones are eligible ?

slickdealuser123 03-24-2012 06:44 AM

Will my blackberry pearl with no data plan work to lose!?

Deftonian 03-24-2012 06:47 AM

Damn, Microsoft store coming to Austin in April... so missed this one :(

vas0122 03-24-2012 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thanatossassin (Post 48711713)
As for the Walmart plan, I haven't heard the most amazing things about it,

you havent read many reviews!

Quote:

YOU CAN ONLY USE THIS (Walmart $30 T-mobile Plan) ON A T-MOBILE PHONE PURCHASED FROM WAL-MART

I use an exhibit off C'list.

Quote:

If you are on a pre-paid TMO plan you are not eligible to transfer to the new $30 plan. You can't port your number either."

I ported my number from NET10 to Tmo Walmart Monthly 4G!

You need to read thru the threads/reviews first :bulb:

whyohwhy 03-24-2012 07:20 AM

Is it 10 phones each day or 10 phones for the entire contest?

Contest is done over wifi or data network?

jmor 03-24-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiloSmashers (Post 48712155)
Nokia is dead. The windows phones they make suck and suck hard and suck everyday. Check out the ananatech review for more specifics about how they suck. I wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot clown pole.

:lmao:

jreuschl 03-24-2012 08:49 AM

So no one in here has actual experience trading for a new phone? 10 per day or the whole contest?

GeoffreyN 03-24-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jreuschl (Post 48717773)
So no one in here has actual experience trading for a new phone? 10 per day or the whole contest?

the contest rules don't mention a limit on the phone trade-ins, just that the contest will end for a particular store if 10 people win the PC.

SergioV 03-24-2012 08:54 AM

Seriously, no one has done it yet? I'm contemplating whether or not I want to drive 1.5 hours for a free phone. I have the Nokia E71 that I wouldn't mind trading a new phone for.

Frenzytom 03-24-2012 08:54 AM

Damn Freehold NJ store is still not open. Great opening day promotion but may be late for that.

Dozens 03-24-2012 09:03 AM

The phone has to have service since they activate in store.

If you have a T-Mobile or AT&T phone they'll just swap the sim. You need to pick a phone on your network since the phones are locked.

dpham00 03-24-2012 09:14 AM

Can i use a palm pixi? It is a crap phone, and I am sure I will lose, but I would love to try a windows phone. Also, I am on verizon, it should still work right?

xon3R4Te 03-24-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stnrbob (Post 48711725)
They also don't post any restrictions besides it cannot be a windows phone.

Actually,I'm fairly certain I read in the terms that your phone has to be able to complete the competition.

Quote:

•You must personally execute and complete the Challenge using your own smartphone (Microsoft Windows Phones are not eligible). Each smartphone can only be used once for a Challenge during the Entry Period.
So if your phone has no access to an actual web browser or app portfolio, this may be a no-go.

Most actual smartphones, like even the Nuron, should be able to complete their tasks with the proper apps. Some fringe "smartphones" that are actually just old qwerty phones may not be able to.

Blackpig 03-24-2012 09:21 AM

If you have no data plan, can you still do the swap? I have a HTC Dream/G1 and be nice to trade it in for something snazzier.

Dozens 03-24-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

We spoke to one person familiar with the promotion, who confirmed that Microsoft will accept modern smartphones like iPhones, Android handsets, and RIM's BlackBerry devices.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/23...-challenge

So they only want to compete on the devices you're least likely to want to trade in. :lol:

AkumaX 03-24-2012 10:11 AM

Tempted to compete with my TP2 running Android :D

runtohell121 03-24-2012 10:16 AM

I kind of want to challenge them with my SGSII... but watch they pick a challenge that my SGSII will definitely lose in :lol:

newguy02212011 03-24-2012 10:19 AM

I called the store, and the staff there said the phone has to be in a activated state....doesn't matter if its prepaid or on contract. It has to be a smartphone (actually he disconnected me before i asked him the 4th question....kinda in a rush or something).

Azone 03-24-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 48710861)
It's definitely not impossible to beat Windows Phone. Harder, but not impossible. See chart here.

Hang on...an HTC Hero won? :lol:

Really though, I'm considering taking in my old HTC Magic, losing, and getting a new Windows phone. Or perhaps quickly grabbing an old G1 or something off Craigslist and using it. Very tempting, though I'm waiting to see if someone goes through with this.

avgary 03-24-2012 10:31 AM

So does anyone know which windows phone they trade?

I have a Palm Treo 755 on the Sprint F&F $30 plan which includes data, which I don't use much.

Sure, I would lose but I am curious how much extra the windows phone plan from Sprint might cost - even if one was available.

Sounds like a big pain.

dpham00 03-24-2012 10:31 AM

well, i called a local store, and asked about my palm pixi they said any smartphone so long as it has data can participate in the challenge. my store said that the challenge will begin at 12 noon. And you have to recycle the old phone, otherwise you will have to sign a new 2 year conract. when i asked the associate, he said that I don't have to get a verizon phone, i can get any carrier and do not have to activate it.

so, what's the best windows phone out there, regardless of carrier w/o signing for contract, im assuming htc titan? might be ok for when traveling. and looks like i can get an unlock code for it for a few bux. Verizon's htc trophy has a way smaller screen, though it is quad band as well.

microkelvin 03-24-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

The phone would conceivably be locked to a carrier, as I'm sure the carriers are subsidizing this in some way.

As for the Walmart plan, I haven't heard the most amazing things about it, but to answer the question, here's a review of the plan on Walmart's site:

YOU CAN ONLY USE THIS (Walmart $30 T-mobile Plan) ON A T-MOBILE PHONE PURCHASED FROM WAL-MART. If you are on a pre-paid TMO plan you are not eligible to transfer to the new $30 plan. You can't port your number either."

Hope that helps :)

Wrong. People have been using phones NOT PURCHASED FROM WAL-MART with that $30 tmobile plan. And that's what the whole thread is all about.

runtohell121 03-24-2012 10:43 AM

So I can bring my old Nokia Xpressmusic 5800 in and fail the test to get a new Windows phone.. hmm... :D

INeedSpeed 03-24-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newguy02212011 (Post 48719153)
I called the store, and the staff there said the phone has to be in a activated state....doesn't matter if its prepaid or on contract. It has to be a smartphone (actually he disconnected me before i asked him the 4th question....kinda in a rush or something).

Thanks for the info, looks like I'll stop by and t-mobile store near me walmart and pick up a sim and 30$ prepaid card before going in with my Cliq XTs.

everakuma 03-24-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runtohell121 (Post 48719521)
So I can bring my old Nokia Xpressmusic 5800 in and fail the test to get a new Windows phone.. hmm... :D

I have the same Nokia Xpressmusic 5800 wonder if I can enter w/o data. Wonder if I can use wi-fi

Dozens 03-24-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INeedSpeed (Post 48719887)
Thanks for the info, looks like I'll stop by and t-mobile store near me walmart and pick up a sim and 30$ prepaid card before going in with my Cliq XTs.

Sim kits from the stores won't work. It has to be bought online from T-Mobile's website. I don't think Walmart sells sim kits either.

jmor 03-24-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avgary (Post 48719307)
So does anyone know which windows phone they trade?

I have a Palm Treo 755 on the Sprint F&F $30 plan which includes data, which I don't use much.

Sure, I would lose but I am curious how much extra the windows phone plan from Sprint might cost - even if one was available.

Sounds like a big pain.

It would be an extra 10 bucks per month I believe

INeedSpeed 03-24-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dozens (Post 48719983)
Sim kits from the stores won't work. It has to be bought online from T-Mobile's website. I don't think Walmart sells sim kits either.

Nooooooooooo.

Dozens 03-24-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

update just went in the windows store at houston galleria and it is not for any smartphone my nokia n95 did not qualify and also it has to be a carrier device no unlocked phones allowed or at least thats what they told me and they were very rude and unprofessional about the whole situation trying to tell me that my phone was not a smartphone just because at&t did not ever carry it whatever microsoft you suck
So it looks like it has to be a carrier branded smartphone and up to the store's interpretation of what qualifies as a smartphone, ymmv.

slickdealuser123 03-24-2012 11:21 AM

Called them, and tmobile blackberry pearl will qualify and for tmobile there are 2choices, lumia710 or htc-radar. I will put mt tmobile iPhone 3GS sim in pearl, do the contest, get the phone and use it with tmobile prepaid sim, will this work? What do u guys think?

futurezombie 03-24-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dozens (Post 48719983)

I got my SIM from Best Buy and it worked for the $30 walmart plan

syn73 03-24-2012 11:27 AM

hello

does anyone know if the tmobile nokia nuron qualifies as one of the "smart" phones?

slickdealuser123 03-24-2012 11:35 AM

Called them, and tmobile blackberry pearl will qualify and for tmobile there are 2choices, lumia710 or htc-radar. I will put my tmobile iPhone 3GS sim in pearl, do the contest, get the phone and use it with tmobile prepaid sim, will this work? What do u guys think?

Dozens 03-24-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dp1fw (Post 48720437)
Called them, and tmobile blackberry pearl will qualify and for tmobile there are 2choices, lumia710 or htc-radar. I will put my tmobile iPhone 3GS sim in pearl, do the contest, get the phone and use it with tmobile prepaid sim, will this work? What do u guys think?

Yes. If you're planning to sell get the Radar, if you're keeping it then get Lumia.

hpmaster 03-24-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Thanks bro for doing some of the heavy lifting for us here.

Nobody needs to spend $5/gallon gas to find out the contest is rigged.

What we need now is somebody to spend $5/gallon gas to find out what kind of "loser's" prize we get when we lose to their rigged game:

windows phone
contract required
locked/unlocked
value of phone
small print details of winning (or) "losing" this
Do they 1099 us on this item too?
Are they really giving away 10 free losing phones per store per day?

thanks
repped

runtohell121 03-24-2012 11:49 AM

^It's a Windows phone, contract not required, locked, a phone of your choice except Nokia Lumia 800, value depends on what you choose, but you have to trade in your smartphone that you used to challenge them as far as I know. They're not "giving" you a "free" phone. You have to trade in your smartphone that you used to challenge them.

There are challenges where some phones can possibly beat WP.. but really depends on network and how fast you can access stuff.

srb122 03-24-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by throwaway9503 (Post 48710693)
Stop being cheap, that $30 is well worth it

This guy knows not what he does. He's a yinzer Steelers fan. No need for explanation. Don't waste yourbreath trying to talk sense with a steelers fan.

jmor 03-24-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpmaster (Post 48720575)
Thanks bro for doing some of the heavy lifting for us here.

Nobody needs to spend $5/gallon gas to find out the contest is rigged.

What we need now is somebody to spend $5/gallon gas to find out what kind of "loser's" prize we get when we lose to their rigged game:

windows phone
contract required
locked/unlocked
value of phone
small print details of winning (or) "losing" this
Do they 1099 us on this item too?
Are they really giving away 10 free losing phones per store per day?

thanks
repped

his opinion is biased because windows phone has most the features you want already in the OS. They thought of it and Apple and Google didn't. It isn't rigged, it's basically, which is the more innovative OS? Windows Phone with features that make it very easy to get where you want and what you want quickly, or the customizable open-source Android?

The test isn't rigged just because it has features your phone doesn't have.

chenga91 03-24-2012 12:13 PM

Anyone do this and manage to nab the Samsung Focus S? Looks like a very solid phone.

jmman 03-24-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenga91 (Post 48720991)
Anyone do this and manage to nab the Samsung Focus S? Looks like a very solid phone.

My wife has a really old blackberry. I just called my local MS store and he said that the phones are flying off the shelf, but he does have lots of the Focus S. That is what I will be getting......

Phenom24 03-24-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalkJava (Post 48713393)
Microsoft Gods Say... "We are here to tell you what you want and don't want. What you need and don't need. Open Source it for losers and cattle. Google is the antichrist. Trust Bill....Trust Bill.....Trust Bill....Upgrade..Patch...Upgrade...Patch...Everything is working fine. Send Money..." :worship:

You could substitute Bill for Steve in that rant lol

xon3R4Te 03-24-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmor (Post 48720725)
his opinion is biased because windows phone has most the features you want already in the OS. They thought of it and Apple and Google didn't. It isn't rigged, it's basically, which is the more innovative OS? Windows Phone with features that make it very easy to get where you want and what you want quickly, or the customizable open-source Android?

The test isn't rigged just because it has features your phone doesn't have.

I think the biggest problem with WP is that it assumes we're all party going, tweeting, college aged socialites.

I see how a lot of the features of the OS could be useful if I were a compulsive tweeter, texted, facebooker, etc. Windows Phone makes sharing media eons easier than any other OS out there.

The problem is that I don't have that much stuff I want to share. Many individuals are just looking for a phone with a nice web browser and cheap games. In these areas, WP lacks.

Anyways, I do feel the OS is actually very "fast" despite older hardware. Definitely much faster than Android if it comes to tasks natively integrated within the OS.

That's why modders with OCed Droids and custom ROMs aren't likely to win. WP is an efficient OS written by a competent corporation. Android is an inefficient OS with bogged down, clunky customizations.

Stock Android was never well written and practically every modder/corporation that lays hands on it only makes it worse! (No offense intended to the modding community... Just a careful observation.) -.-

jmor 03-24-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xon3R4Te (Post 48721173)
I think the biggest problem with WP is that it assumes we're all party going, tweeting, college aged socialites.

I see how a lot of the features of the OS could be useful if I were a compulsive tweeter, texted, facebooker, etc. Windows Phone makes sharing media eons easier than any other OS out there.

The problem is that I don't have that much stuff I want to share. Many individuals are just looking for a phone with a nice web browser and cheap games. In these areas, WP lacks.

Anyways, I do feel the OS is actually very "fast" despite older hardware. Definitely much faster than Android if it comes to tasks natively integrated within the OS.

That's why modders with OCed Droids and custom ROMs aren't likely to win. WP is an efficient OS written by a competent corporation. Android is an inefficient OS with bogged down, clunky customizations.

Stock Android was never well written and practically every modder/corporation that lays hands on it only makes it worse! (No offense intended to the modding community... Just a careful observation.) -.-

Great response, I agree with your points.

cruisin3style 03-24-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

This. Plus throw in large screen with high resolution for good measure :)

democrap 03-24-2012 02:29 PM

this thing is awesome. free phones all around!

bchiang 03-24-2012 02:34 PM

will they take a phone with a partially cracked screen?

SDFailedIpBan 03-24-2012 02:44 PM

I wish this worked with unactivated phones... I have a couple of Heroes to recycle...

chenga91 03-24-2012 02:45 PM

Is there Wifi in the store I can use in the contest since I don't have a data plan? :( I would love to trade in my dad's 1st gen iPhone for a Samsung Focus S :/

runtohell121 03-24-2012 02:49 PM

^There's probably wifi nearby, but they don't really want you to use their wifi I'm guessing. If you're in the Bay Area and at the Valley Fair Microsoft Store.. You can probably access Apple Store wifi :lol:

dzap 03-24-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Agreed with most points except Android. I can agree that up until Gingerbread, Android had lots of problems because hardware acceleration was never put into the code. With Ice Cream Sandwich it was and it is just night/day difference with even older hardware being able to perform well with it, than Gingerbread ever did.

As for the competent corporation bit? Really? You're going to throw that card in there? Have you forgotten already about Window Mobile/Pocket PC? Or how about the $240 million failure of the Kin series? Please. I'm going to raise the fanboy card right now.

And the modding community was about the same when I dealt with Windows Mobile as I see some developers who moved on to Android. I'm into Android devs and yeah it is sometimes a problem with them fighting and bickering on code. It's like with true hackers complaining about script kiddies. I feel every OS has it's strengths.

Windows Phone for it's fluidity. Android for being customizable. iOS for it's simplicity. (And if it's still relevant anymore WebOS for beauty. It was and still the most beautiful OS I have ever used out of the box, that was just unfinished overall and never got the support it needed).

Windows Mobile (in case you blew that off for some reason), was also customized by manufacturers like Android is now. Microsoft is taking a little bit of what Android is doing (by having multiple manufacturers involved), but taking the iOS approach on software (by having a unified UI across all their devices).

Windows Phone still crashes and freezes like any other mobile OS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JKgfZWhdA0
..but MS has addressed those problems. Windows Phone arrived later to the game so they have had less time to transform like iOS and Android have so they are still an infant OS which got off to a good start.They saw what others were doing and took what they knew from their past mistakes, and what the others were doing successfully and went with that.

In time I think it will turn less from a "Kinified OS" (which pushed social into every single aspect of you life), and hopefully into a more serious OS, in time. We'll see. It addresses a younger crowd and is still not widely adopted by many, and I like the effort Microsoft is pushing to get people to use it from having their whole product line (Xbox, Windows 8, etc.) use the Metro styling of windows Phone.

My 2 cents as well and while I agree with most of what you said, some of it just came off as being Microsoft worshiping. Just saying.

bobjoeb 03-24-2012 03:13 PM

Houston if you're trying to win using an android phone don't bother. I used a samsung skyrocket and beat the guy fair and square on the 4 start restaurant challenge. Pulled up google maps and found one right away. When it came up he said oh well it doesn't show directions where he showed me his phone which had no directions and said he won. I was like wtf? Yours has no directions as well. Then he goes oh there's no hours displayed. I'm like there's a store hours button right here on google maps. Afterwards he says that oh well mine displays store hours on the screen and because I had to push a button to show the store hours he wins.

He calls the manager and she says oh the windows phone gets to that screen in 1 button where your phone gets to all the information in 2 button presses so I lose. Biggest pile of crap ever. Then they have the nerve to say you're just trying to get the laptop and tell me I have to leave.

dzap 03-24-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjoeb (Post 48723637)
Houston if you're trying to win using an android phone don't bother. I used a samsung skyrocket and beat the guy fair and square on the 4 start restaurant challenge. Pulled up google maps and found one right away. When it came up he said oh well it doesn't show directions where he showed me his phone which had no directions and said he won. I was like wtf? Yours has no directions as well. Then he goes oh there's no hours displayed. I'm like there's a store hours button right here on google maps. Afterwards he says that oh well mine displays store hours on the screen and because I had to push a button to show the store hours he wins.

He calls the manager and she says oh the windows phone gets to that screen in 1 button where your phone gets to all the information in 2 button presses so I lose. Biggest pile of crap ever. Then they have the nerve to say you're just trying to get the laptop and tell me I have to leave.

Yeah you're not supposed to win. It's a rigged contest like at any casino. I think the 10 laptops are there in the extreme chance that the Wifi network fails or something on their device and you get to stuff first.

But that is messed up. I don't recall the "hours" thing being part of the test. At all. I only recall that you find a 4-star restaurant and it gives you directions. Both of which Google Maps does.

I think someone just needs to write their own app and do everything Windows Phone does one step faster, because what you said sounds like blatant cheating.

Dozens 03-24-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 48723969)
I think someone just needs to write their own app and do everything Windows Phone does one step faster, because what you said sounds like blatant cheating.

Also make a lockscreen that launches those apps in one tap. :lol:

WackyP 03-24-2012 03:48 PM

Did they use wi-fi or your mobile service for the challenge? I would think it was wi-fi as the contest is not between your phone service.

What exactly were all the challenges? Reason for asking is I want to see if my crappy Android can even finish the tasks before I drive all the way over there.

dzap 03-24-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dozens (Post 48724171)
Also make a lockscreen that launches those apps in one tap. :lol:

Or just install this..
https://play.google.com/store/app...hnical.wp7
..and if you lose..smile with a big grin on your face and make sure they get a good shot of your phone :lol:

dzap 03-24-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WackyP (Post 48724183)
Did they use wi-fi or your mobile service for the challenge? I would think it was wi-fi as the contest is not between your phone service.

What exactly were all the challenges? Reason for asking is I want to see if my crappy Android can even finish the tasks before I drive all the way over there.

(1) Pocket-to-Picture-to-Post, (2) Real-Time Information with Live Tiles, (3) Using the People Hub to Stay in Touch with the People You Care About Most, (4) Updating Your Status Across Multiple Social Networks, and (5) Local Scout (“Challenge”).”

I would say you can beat 1 (especially with ICS. Just get a camera app to take a picture on launch of app and have it auto upload.), 2(with the right widgets, easily), 3 (I have no idea what this one means. I saw one video and it was like "texting your spouse faster" which is such a load of crap, because it depends on who types faster), 4 (have not found a good app for this YET. It entails either taking a picture and posting it to facebook, twitter, and MAYBE linkedin all at once or posting your status to those at the same time. Tell me if you find something good for this)., 5.) Would be the "4 star resturant" or something else local quickly, which is clearly rigged from the prior post, so don't get stuck with that one.

Dozens 03-24-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dzap (Post 48724351)
(1) Pocket-to-Picture-to-Post, (2) Real-Time Information with Live Tiles, (3) Using the People Hub to Stay in Touch with the People You Care About Most, (4) Updating Your Status Across Multiple Social Networks, and (5) Local Scout (“Challenge”).”

Number 1 is the only fair challenge. 2-4 will get you slaughtered unless they have a wifi hiccup or the salesman goofs.

Only AT&T and T-Mobile customers with old phones can really take advantage of the losing offer, since they can swap sims.

Verizon and Sprint customers probably have newer phones activated that are way better than the CDMA windows phones. :nod: Only a fool would do that swap.

rajnikant90 03-24-2012 04:48 PM

I wonder how would Nokia N9 do? I amstilling accepting challenge to get rid of my old crappy log phone. So I can't use my n9

Nothing00 03-24-2012 04:48 PM

You can cheat and easily mod any iPhone or android phone to beat this test.

Dzap, could you link twitter to post tweets to Facebook and accomplish 4? Unless there's some odd social site they want you to post to...

DDriver 03-24-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks, I expected that

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_key (Post 48711807)
you can use any t-mobile compatible phone on walmart plan....

I found the same thing. You will need to buy activation kit and activate it through T-mobile website.

Lukeed 03-24-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenga91 (Post 48723281)
Is there Wifi in the store I can use in the contest since I don't have a data plan? :( I would love to trade in my dad's 1st gen iPhone for a Samsung Focus S :/

Yes. I was required to use it

runtohell121 03-24-2012 04:55 PM

^That's why it's unfair, we have to use our own data, they get to use the "fast (I'm assuming it's faster than most connections)" wifi.. unless we're allow to use Apple Store wifi (should be reachable in Westfield Valley Fair Microsoft Store)

jmor 03-24-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobjoeb (Post 48723637)

Even I'm not cool with this :mad:

chenga91 03-24-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukeed (Post 48724985)
Yes. I was required to use it

Which store did you go to? Any chance it was South Coast Plaza? That's the closest one to me :/

Quote:

Originally Posted by runtohell121 (Post 48724999)
^That's why it's unfair, we have to use our own data, they get to use the "fast (I'm assuming it's faster than most connections)" wifi.. unless we're allow to use Apple Store wifi (should be reachable in Westfield Valley Fair Microsoft Store)

Hey runtohell121, I think Lukeed meant that he was required to use their Wifi in the contest.

UGAFEZ 03-24-2012 05:02 PM

Why couldn't I go to the sprint website, switch my phone from my Epic touch 4g to my old Evo , go do the challenge with my Evo, get the windows phone, and switch back to my Epic touch 4g on the Sprint website?

Only AT&T and T-Mobile customers with old phones can really take advantage of the losing offer, since they can swap sims.

Verizon and Sprint customers probably have newer phones activated that are way better than the CDMA windows phones. :nod: Only a fool would do that swap.[/QUOTE]