Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Canon EOS 60D DSLR w/ EF-S 18-135mm IS Lens kit - FS from FRYS.com @999 + tax (http://slickdeals.net/e/4370090-canon-eos-60d-dslr-w-ef-s-18-135mm-is-lens-kit-fs-from-frys-com-999-tax)

nallan 05-11-2012 04:31 AM

Canon EOS 60D DSLR w/ EF-S 18-135mm IS Lens kit - FS from FRYS.com @999 + tax

65535 Attachment(s)
Just found the following deal on frys.com for this great camera.

Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera with Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS Lens - FS from FRYS.com @999.00 + tax. Price will be reflected at final checkout.

http://www.frys.com/product/6388531

I know that it could be bought at less with the combination of rebates and reselling, but good deal for those who don't want to deal with the hassle of rebates and reselling.

tranq01 05-11-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nallan (Post 49975362)
Just found the following deal on frys.com for this great camera.

Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera with Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS Lens - FS from FRYS.com @999.00 + tax. Price will be reflected at final checkout.

http://www.frys.com/product/6388531

I know that it could be bought at less with the combination of rebates and reselling, but good deal for those who don't want to deal with the hassle of rebates and reselling.

Why the thumbs down? Seems like a good deal since Amazon and other sites are at $1199. Is there a better deal?

jdramirez 05-11-2012 06:21 AM

This is another solid deal. Not amazing, but solid. If you sell the lens for 300, then you the body is around 700. Definitely worth looking at.

tranq01 05-11-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdramirez (Post 49976974)
This is another solid deal. Not amazing, but solid. If you sell the lens for 300, then you the body is around 700. Definitely worth looking at.

Not sure if I should jump on this or wait for the T4i to come out?

jdramirez 05-11-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tranq01 (Post 49977186)

I think the big difference is going to be the size of the sensor... and it should have digic V v. digic 4 in the 60D. That should suggest that iso rating could be higher with less grain.

The 60D should still out perform it in shots per second, a built in level, a bigger more solid build (though not weather proof), an easy to adjust LCD at the top of the camera.

I guess the real question is can you wait until September-ish and miss vacation photos or photos at the pool. I have the 60D and I am a big fan. I originally had a Canon XS and I wanted the T2i and then the T3i was announced and I thought... I have to have that on. What really convinced me to get the 60D is that it felt like an upgrade. The XS and the T3i are both fine cameras, but they feel like the same camera. When you have a 60D in your hands, it feels like a REAL upgrade.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I can tell you that I am definitely pleased with my 60D which I have owned for little over a year now.

tranq01 05-11-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdramirez (Post 49977354)
I think the big difference is going to be the size of the sensor... and it should have digic V v. digic 4 in the 60D. That should suggest that iso rating could be higher with less grain.

The 60D should still out perform it in shots per second, a built in level, a bigger more solid build (though not weather proof), an easy to adjust LCD at the top of the camera.

I guess the real question is can you wait until September-ish and miss vacation photos or photos at the pool. I have the 60D and I am a big fan. I originally had a Canon XS and I wanted the T2i and then the T3i was announced and I thought... I have to have that on. What really convinced me to get the 60D is that it felt like an upgrade. The XS and the T3i are both fine cameras, but they feel like the same camera. When you have a 60D in your hands, it feels like a REAL upgrade.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I can tell you that I am definitely pleased with my 60D which I have owned for little over a year now.

Thanks for that info. I had the T2i and really like it but you are right. The 60D does feel like an upgrade but I like to take alot of videos and heard the T4i will have continuous silent autofocus but i thought it was supposed to come out in spring not September. If that is the case I can't wait until Sept. Do you also have the 18-135lens? Is the quality the same as the 18-200? What I don't like about the 60D is the lock button on the dial switch. Why do you need a lock button since the dial switch won't really move? I didn't have this problem with the T2i.

m3m3 05-11-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdramirez (Post 49977354)

The Digic processor has nothing to do with the size of the sensor, or directly with the noise level of the sensor. They are separate components in the camera. The Digic can handle things like automatic white balance, autofocus, face detection, jpg encoding, noise reduction in jpg images, etc, while the sensor actually captures the light from the lens and converts it to electrical information. If you shoot RAW the noise/grain in the photo will be similar with a Digic 4 or Digic 5.

The next Rebel will almost certainly have the same size (APS-C) sensor as the 60D, T3i, T2i, 7D, etc, but it might have a newer version than the one currently found in those bodies. A newer sensor might do a better job at high ISOs or have a higher pixel count, among other things.

cdcooker 05-11-2012 07:16 AM

Among other things, you will get 30 minutes of continuous HD video recording out of Digic 5. You can only record up to 12 minutes from all current digic 4 cameras, P&S or DSLR.

While I kind of believe the new T4i will have continuous silent autofocus, to try to rival some of those mirror-less cameras in the market right now, I am kind of reserve on the real world usability. Canon new flagships, 1Dx and 5DIII, all don't have this feature, and video are one of the main selling points of these flagship cameras. Anyway, I don't think we have to wait until Sept to see T4i. May be we will see a reasonable discounted by that time.

kushi2004 05-11-2012 07:36 AM

good deal...

yeenon 05-11-2012 07:45 AM

all you non-contributors thumbing down, please present me with a better deal. kthx.

intence01 05-11-2012 07:48 AM

Just speculating, but I can't see Canon releasing a drastically new APS-C sensor in the T4i. It might happen, but I would expect to see that sensor in the 70D or 7D mkII. It's possible they may update the T4i to compete with the D3200, but smarter consumers will realize it's just a megapixels race.

My guess is that it will have built-in WiFi. Digic V may have some improvement, but you're not going to have the build quality of chassis of the 60D. I recently had a T3i and after handling and getting used to the 60D, had a hard time with the T3i because of the button layouts etc. Keep in mind that feature-wise they're very close.

A higher pixel count doesn't mean better photos depending on sensor size, and how it handles high ISOs. All it's really good for would be larger prints, and of course marketing (go into Best Buy, and the first thing they'll talk about is likely to be Megapixels).

In any case I would almost certainly expect an APS-C sized sensor (otherwise what would happen to all those EF-S lenses). Maybe a bump in MP, maybe not. I would not expect build quality or "semi-pro" size like the current 60D.

Thumbs up. If your'e in the market for an SLR, this is a nice deal. If you don't have to pay tax, it's a VERY nice deal. If you don't have to pay tax and are planning on selling the lens, it's a VERY VERY nice deal :)

preppyak 05-11-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdramirez (Post 49976974)

$250 is probably more likely, unless you are really patient or catch a sucker. Still a decent price.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tranq01 (Post 49977186)

Well, the T4i has been rumored now for a while. Usually Canon releases one in Feb/Mar, but they haven't. They might release it this month, they might not. To date, none of the things they've announced in the last 6 months have shipped within a month of the announcement, and most of them have lacked stock for several months after (still no 1DX or any of their super-teles, and 5dIII is low-stock as well). So, if you're lucky, you could have a T4i by July. But, you'd be paying the same as this and only getting the 18-55 lens...since retail on the Ti cameras is usually in the $899-999 range. And I'd be surprised if it has the burst rate and auto-focus improvements a 60D brings, much less the ergonomics.
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcooker (Post 49978010)
While I kind of believe the new T4i will have continuous silent autofocus, to try to rival some of those mirror-less cameras in the market right now,

It will be similar to what Nikon has now, which is basically the automated equivalent of pressing the shutter button to focus. It looks awful and sounds even worse.

Mirrorless cameras and Sony's SLT's can do better because they don't deal with the mirror and have different auto focus systems. Even then, I know the Sony A77 autofocus is still spotty. The reason camcorders do it so well is that they have such small sensors. Much easier to nail focus when your depth of field is deeper.

I don't think you'll ever see a great auto-focus system for a DSLR shooting at f/1.8, the mechanics of it are just too crazy.

dealalert00 05-11-2012 07:59 AM

Works out to same after tax as 42nd Street here [42photo.com]. Would be much better deal if in a no sales tax state.

Okay deal, but no great shakes as it happens to beat Amazon right now by only $100, and beats best on the net by $50. If you madly need one, that's extra $50 in your pocket though.

tranq01 05-11-2012 08:02 AM

Does anyone know if FRY's is a authorized canon dealer? Just want to make sure this is not a white box.

jdramirez 05-11-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tranq01 (Post 49977632)
Thanks for that info. I had the T2i and really like it but you are right. The 60D does feel like an upgrade but I like to take alot of videos and heard the T4i will have continuous silent autofocus but i thought it was supposed to come out in spring not September. If that is the case I can't wait until Sept. Do you also have the 18-135lens? Is the quality the same as the 18-200? What I don't like about the 60D is the lock button on the dial switch. Why do you need a lock button since the dial switch won't really move? I didn't have this problem with the T2i.

I'm not sure about the video. I sold the 18-135mm for $330 on Amazon and my take away was around 300. I have the 24-105mm and it has a usm motor. My guess is that the new lens won't be that much quieter than what I have. Either way, I always manually focus when I do video.

I never use the lock button, but my apparently inaccurate presumption was that it would lock the mirror.

jdramirez 05-11-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3m3 (Post 49977776)
The Digic processor has nothing to do with the size of the sensor, or directly with the noise level of the sensor. They are separate components in the camera. The Digic can handle things like automatic white balance, autofocus, face detection, jpg encoding, noise reduction in jpg images, etc, while the sensor actually captures the light from the lens and converts it to electrical information. If you shoot RAW the noise/grain in the photo will be similar with a Digic 4 or Digic 5.

The next Rebel will almost certainly have the same size (APS-C) sensor as the 60D, T3i, T2i, 7D, etc, but it might have a newer version than the one currently found in those bodies. A newer sensor might do a better job at high ISOs or have a higher pixel count, among other things.

I was reading Canon rumors, and the suggestion is that digic 5 will reduce noise and my automatic presumption was that was noise (grain) associated with higher iso's. If I'm wrong... it really wouldn't be the first time.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/0...ation-cr1/

Other unconfirmed specs show the camera to be 18.1mp and running DIGIC 5, which should improve noise performance and overall image quality. I’m told we won’t see a new APS-C sensor until the 60D and 7D replacements are addressed.

cmalr90242 05-11-2012 08:31 AM

This is a solid deal for the body and kit lens under $1000 without tax. It's a good starter if you want to jump into DSLR without the hassles of rebates and selling the lens. I got the same for $850 + tax, but only because it was a pricing error. Rep

jdramirez 05-11-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by preppyak (Post 49978836)
$250 is probably more likely, unless you are really patient or catch a sucker. Still a decent price.
Well, the T4i has been rumored now for a while. Usually Canon releases one in Feb/Mar, but they haven't. They might release it this month, they might not. To date, none of the things they've announced in the last 6 months have shipped within a month of the announcement, and most of them have lacked stock for several months after (still no 1DX or any of their super-teles, and 5dIII is low-stock as well). So, if you're lucky, you could have a T4i by July. But, you'd be paying the same as this and only getting the 18-55 lens...since retail on the Ti cameras is usually in the $899-999 range. And I'd be surprised if it has the burst rate and auto-focus improvements a 60D brings, much less the ergonomics.

It will be similar to what Nikon has now, which is basically the automated equivalent of pressing the shutter button to focus. It looks awful and sounds even worse.

Mirrorless cameras and Sony's SLT's can do better because they don't deal with the mirror and have different auto focus systems. Even then, I know the Sony A77 autofocus is still spotty. The reason camcorders do it so well is that they have such small sensors. Much easier to nail focus when your depth of field is deeper.

I don't think you'll ever see a great auto-focus system for a DSLR shooting at f/1.8, the mechanics of it are just too crazy.

I sold it for 330 after only a week or two on the market. So it is possible to do so. That was last year, and I don't think there would be any appreciable reason why that still wouldn't be the case.

The reason I was guessing September is because production has been slow for many of the bodies due to a variety of reasons in Asia. Let's say the announce the camera in Late May and pre-orders begin. Most slickdealers won't want to pay the premium to have it at launch, so then we are playing the waiting game.. and usually the next round of rebates (lens/body combos) comes out in Sept. So that's my bit of logic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tranq01 (Post 49978988)
Does anyone know if FRY's is a authorized canon dealer? Just want to make sure this is not a white box.

I'm 99% sure they are.

m3m3 05-11-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdramirez (Post 49979740)
I was reading Canon rumors, and the suggestion is that digic 5 will reduce noise and my automatic presumption was that was noise (grain) associated with higher iso's. If I'm wrong... it really wouldn't be the first time.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/0...ation-cr1/

Other unconfirmed specs show the camera to be 18.1mp and running DIGIC 5, which should improve noise performance and overall image quality. I’m told we won’t see a new APS-C sensor until the 60D and 7D replacements are addressed.

It could/probably will do a better job of reducing noise, but that mostly applies to JPGs. The amount of noise produced for each captured image is largely dependent on the sensor.

"A DIGIC Processor works in tandem with a CMOS sensor—the CMOS sensor captures the light and converts the brightness at each pixel into an electronic signal; the DIGIC processor processes each separate signal and (for JPEG images) converts them into a finished, recognizable image."

However, the way the Digic collects the information from the sensor can also help improve noise (in RAW or JPG). See the link below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tranq01 (Post 49978988)

Yes, they are: http://usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/...ealers.pdf

tranq01 05-11-2012 08:55 AM

Thanks all. I jumped on the deal and I also had the Chase Freedom $300 off from spending over $500 deal which brings the camera set to $700. Really slick...

dealsdyker 05-11-2012 09:02 AM

I just upgraded to 60d and one thing little mentioned in the "what's the advantage" threads is the 1/8000th shutter speed vs. 1/4000 on the t#i. I find shot on the 60d above 1/4000 in bright daylight at sporting events often.

datr 05-11-2012 09:03 AM

Seems a decent deal.

praneeth22 05-11-2012 09:10 AM

Still available, $1082 with CA tax.

GunMan 05-11-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealsdyker (Post 49980662)
I just upgraded to 60d and one thing little mentioned in the "what's the advantage" threads is the 1/8000th shutter speed vs. 1/4000 on the t#i. I find shot on the 60d above 1/4000 in bright daylight at sporting events often.

Neutral density filter.

KenBT 05-11-2012 09:15 AM

Canon EOS 60D DSLR w/ EF-S 18-135mm IS Lens kit - FS from FRYS.com @999 + tax

Quote:

Originally Posted by datr (Post 49980674)
Am I missing something? Link shows $1199

What you are missing is- Not Reading the Post- it clearly states ADD TO CART- and if you checkout....$999

swang9 05-11-2012 09:24 AM

Why not go loyalty program and get a refurb for cheaper

preppyak 05-11-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdramirez (Post 49979922)
I sold it for 330 after only a week or two on the market. So it is possible to do so. That was last year, and I don't think there would be any appreciable reason why that still wouldn't be the case.

Well, for one, it regularly goes for $330 brand new on Amazon, B+H, etc. In fact, it was at that price range ($320-330) from Oct to April. Think it went as low as like $280. And a bunch of kit deals came through in that time frame, so lots of people were selling them. The standard buy it now price on Ebay is $300, so, getting more now would be getting lucky.

deals pirate 05-11-2012 09:37 AM

so how does this compare with the sony A57? is this canon 60D better to get if you are a beginner to dslr?

theresamax 05-11-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swang9 (Post 49981220)
Why not go loyalty program and get a refurb for cheaper

Can you point me in the direction where I can get more info on the Canon Loyalty Program? I think there was a thread on it but I can't find it????
Thanks!!!

bumoftheday 05-11-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theresamax (Post 49981806)
Can you point me in the direction where I can get more info on the Canon Loyalty Program? I think there was a thread on it but I can't find it????
Thanks!!!

http://slickdeals.net/f/212129-Canon-camera-trade-up

Total for a 60D with 18-135 will come to $831+tax and possibly shipping.

jamex 05-11-2012 10:13 AM

I plan on using a DSLR mainly for video use. Can someone let me know if this is the camera to get? Or is there another option? (and why?) thanks a ton.

datr 05-11-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenBT (Post 49981002)
What you are missing is- Not Reading the Post- it clearly states ADD TO CART- and if you checkout....$999

Yeah. I did reread it after I had posted and figured it out. My fault. Of course, it doesn't actually state "ADD TO CART" like you're saying, but I guess we're all entitled to be a little wrong.

tleco9956 05-11-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumoftheday (Post 49982060)
http://slickdeals.net/f/212129-Canon-camera-trade-up

Total for a 60D with 18-135 will come to $831+tax and possibly shipping.

North worth the saving $999 for a new one is better

deals pirate 05-11-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamex (Post 49982432)
I plan on using a DSLR mainly for video use. Can someone let me know if this is the camera to get? Or is there another option? (and why?) thanks a ton.

I believe Sony DSLRs (or DSLTs) excel at video. The A57/A65/A77 can do 1080p video at 60fps with continuous autofocus. They also feature 10fps - 12fps continuous shooting depending on the model.

halala 05-11-2012 10:35 AM

it is $1199 now

tleco9956 05-11-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halala (Post 49982980)
it is $1199 now

Back $999 at 12:55 in 4 1

rsvandy 05-11-2012 11:02 AM

Thanks, just got one for $1081.42 in CA including tax.

vincentyang 05-11-2012 11:43 AM

Will Amazon price match Frys?

Slickzilla 05-11-2012 01:02 PM

i got one earlier... :-)

bikerbandito 05-12-2012 08:19 PM

No more shipping, damn

cool1g 05-12-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Canon is way better than Nikon for video but autofocusing doesn't exist on the canons and not good on the Nikon's.

You might be better served with something specifically for video.

swang9 05-12-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tleco9956 (Post 49982644)
North worth the saving $999 for a new one is better

Canon refurb is like new, never heard of anyone having a problem with them. It's definitely worth saving ~$180 for the kit.

Nhanandmel 05-12-2012 11:45 PM

Thanks Op! In for 1. I looked earlier this evening and it showed OOS in Sacramento. Just looked right now and it was back in stock. Repped!

megamanny2000 05-13-2012 08:05 PM

I got in on this deal with free shipping and no tax, but I can't decide if the deal is good enough to keep.

deymayor 05-13-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

You have be crazy to buy a DSLR for video. Camcorders are so much better and costs about half this pricetag. It's like buying a microwave oven to use as a clock.

bumoftheday 05-13-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deymayor (Post 50025612)
You have be crazy to buy a DSLR for video. Camcorders are so much better and costs about half this pricetag. It's like buying a microwave oven to use as a clock.

I guess that's why you'll find shows like House and Oscar nominated films being shot with Canon DSLR's, the 5D mark II.

DSLR's have sensors and lens (if you spend the money) far superior to pretty much any consumer video camera. If you've ever seen the results from a well shot DSLR video, you would be shocked.

chunky649 05-13-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumoftheday (Post 50025728)
I guess that's why you'll find shows like House and Oscar nominated films being shot with Canon DSLR's, the 5D mark II.

DSLR's have sensors and lens (if you spend the money) far superior to pretty much any consumer video camera. If you've ever seen the results from a well shot DSLR video, you would be shocked.

The key word here is "well shot". If your intend IS to make videos taking advantage of the 5DM2's FF sensor and Canon's excellent lens collection, AND have the expertise, and $$ for the attachments to do so, good for you.

If the OP wants to buy a SLR (not 5DM2) for taking family videos, its a bad idea (Technologically and financially)... Get a real HD camcorder and a S100 and have money left over.

deymayor 05-13-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumoftheday (Post 50025728)

Ridiculous analogy. That indie film was shot on a professional manner and it was not nominated BECAUSE of the camera which means and they could've shot it with any videocam it would've been nominated. Mark II, if my memory serves me right is also not cheap and like I said, you will find a MUCH cheaper videocam that will yield the same if not better results. I have Canon HD videocam that i bought for $299 and takes infinitely better video than my 60D. It's also worth noting that videocams are much easier to shoot videos than any DSLRs out there because it was designed primarily for that purpose.

lobsang 05-14-2012 01:42 PM

Does anybody know if the Visa/MC/Amex extended warranties apply to refurbished items?

Slickzilla 05-15-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lobsang (Post 50041222)
Does anybody know if the Visa/MC/Amex extended warranties apply to refurbished items?

I ended up buying two different deals. If anyone is interested in a new in box, unopened
60D Body for $800 P.M. Me

knightshome 05-15-2012 11:36 AM

Hi, is this deal any better?
Or Other "bundles" in Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digit...026&sr=8-9

Im trying to see If can get more for my buck..

pinkerbell 05-15-2012 04:31 PM

This is an okay deal. I've seen better camera deals in the past.

praneeth22 05-19-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightshome (Post 50087302)
Hi, is this deal any better?
Or Other "bundles" in Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digit...026&sr=8-9

Im trying to see If can get more for my buck..

That's a pretty bad deal. You don't want to combine either of those lenses with the 60D.