Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Edwin Jagger De89lbl safety razor, chrome w/ lined detail, $27.20 shipped AC @ soap.com (first-time purchase) (http://slickdeals.net/f/4763220-edwin-jagger-de89lbl-safety-razor-chrome-w-lined-detail-27-20-shipped-ac-soap-com-first-time-purchase)

LogicalBargains 06-19-2012 07:42 AM

Edwin Jagger De89lbl safety razor, chrome w/ lined detail, $27.20 shipped AC @ soap.com (first-time purchase)

65535 Attachment(s)
I've been a SD user for a few years, but this is my first deal post. Let me know if anything is missing or should be changed.

Shaving with a safety razor is a lot cheaper than using cartridges in the long run (the blades are dirt cheap), and it's better for the environment because there's less waste. I've been keeping my eye out on Amazon for the popular Edwin Jagger razor, but the price has been steady in the mid- to upper-$30s range. Came across this on soap.com and thought I'd share.

They have the classic Edwin Jagger [soap.com] safety razor (lined detail) for $34. First-time soap.com buyers can use coupon code ONESOAP20 to get 20% off. There is no tax, except in KS, NJ, NY, PA, and WA. Shipping is free on your first order over $25. So your total is $27.20 ($29.58 if you're in one of those unfortunate five states that are taxed, still significantly less than Amazon [amazon.com]).

If you're a second-time buyer, you may have luck with coupon code TWOSOAP20 to get the 20% off, but you wouldn't get free shipping.

The same deal applies to this [soap.com] version of the razor without the lined detail, which starts at $32.50 instead of $34. Use same coupon code for 20% off, and it's still over $25 for free shipping.

Please remember to thumbs-up and rep if you like the deal, thanks :-)

wikipost 06-19-2012 07:42 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

Wiki posted from old hugely popular Amazon DE Thread from February.
Links not updated... I'll fix it later!

Things you MUST have
  • Razor
  • Dual-edge Blades
  • Shave Cream or Soap
  • Technique
Things you SHOULD have
  • Brush (for "whipping" up cream, exfoliating the skin)
  • Shave Bowl (to assist in creating lather from cream/soap)
  • Balm (to soothe your skin, totally worth it)
  • Styptic Pencil (you WILL nick yourself at some point)
Things you DO NOT need, but are fun
  • Pre-shave oil (helps to soften hair)
  • Razor / Brush Stand (allows for easier drying, and looks awesome)
  • Fancy shaving bowls
  • Scuttles to keep your rich foam luxuriously warm
  • 20 different soaps and creams
BLADES
DE blades range from about $0.08 to $0.30 each, and each blade will last you 3-5 complete shaves or so (depending on quality).
It is a well-accepted fact in the DE community that blades behave differently on different skin. It is generally recommended to buy a customized sampler pack of several different brands to see what works with your skin (usually sellers will let you pick the brands you want to try). West coast shaving is a great source.

$10 - 35 Blade Sampler Pack (Feather, Astra, Personna Red, Crystal, Derby) [westcoastshaving.com]
$21 - 65 Blade Sampler Pack (Feather, Astra, Personna Red, Crystal, Derby, Merkur, Gillette, BIC, Dorco) [westcoastshaving.com]

$8 - 100 Derby Blades (cheap and usable) [amazon.com]
$12 - 100 Astra Platinum Blades [amazon.com]
$13 - 50 Israeli Personna Reds (high-quality, not quite as unforgiving as Feathers) [ebay.com]
$17 - 50 Feather Blades (well known, highly-regarded as the "best" (i.e. sharpest), but also the most unforgiving) [ebay.com].
CHANGING BLADES
This is extremely important, and I speak from experience. When changing blades, you MUST be careful. You should always put the head of the razor upside down on the counter (with the handle pointed straight up), push downward (with the fingers on your weak hand) on the back of the head towards the counter while unscrewing the handle with your strong hand.
DO NOT squeeze the sides of the head while unscrewing the handle. If you lose your grip, you WILL SERIOUSLY INJURE YOURSELF. Again, I'm speaking from experience. With cartridge razors you're typically never at risk of cutting yourself, with DE blades the risk is much greater. Do not form bad habits changing blades. You will regret it.

Alternately, rest the long edge of the razor head on the counter with the handle sticking out over the edge and let the countertop hold the head while you twist the handle to tighten/loosen.
BRUSHES
BOAR
$16 Omega Pro 48 [ebay.com] boar brush, used by pro italian barbers everywhere.
$14 Omega Pro 49 [amazon.com] if you prefer a bit of color.
And some great information on boars [bruceonshaving.com], and why should you try them.
BADGER
$12 Tweezerman Pure Badger [amazon.com]
$39 Parker Best Badger w/stand [amazon.com]

A decent badger brush will run you at least $40 (the Tweezerman on Amazon is bottom of the barrel as far as badger goes... "pure badger" means "badger hair that we've cut to make it curved". A decent quality badger brush will be "best badger" or "silvertip badger"), so most people prefer to save the money up front to make sure they'll stick with it.
SYNTHETIC
$12 Body Shop Synthetic (Nylon) Brush [thebodyshop-usa.com]
SHAVE CREAM & SOAP
$11 Proraso [amazon.com] is the long time favorite. Smells great, produces amazing cream, and it's been around forever.
$10 C.O. Bigelow Shave Cream [bathandbodyworks.com], which is rebranded Proraso.

$2 Van der Hagen Glycerin Shave soap [drugstore.com]. This is slickdeals after all. You don't need to spend tons of money on expensive creams. (but you get what you pay for. this is like shaving with handsoap)
$33 Tabac [amazon.com] is one of the more well-respected soaps. Definitely worth the money. Keep checking http://www.fragrancex.com/product...ducts.html for really good deal on Tabac shaving soap.
$20 Edwin Jagger has a great line of soaps [amazon.com], most gents and ladies prefer sandalwood.
$10-13 Mama Bears home made shaving soaps [mamabearssoaps.com]
AFTERSHAVE AND BALM
$6 - Nivea has a great alcohol-free balm [supermart.ae] that a lot of people love. You can get it almost anywhere.
$10 - Some people like Witch Hazel as an aftershave. Here's the alcohol-free version from Thayers [amazon.com]
BOWLS
You can use anything for a bowl... maybe a coffee mug, cereal bowl, etc. Most gents prefer largish bowls... maybe 5in diameter, with curved sides. Ceramic bowls will retain heat better, which warms your cream. I use a wonderful ceramic bowl I snagged at a Goodwill for $1.
Check your nearest walmart for a Berry Bowl from Corelle [walmart.com], not the regular dessert bowl which is quite shallow.

Or you can just get soap on the brush and work up the lather on your face. That can help to soften your beard up more, as well.
STYPTIC PENCILS
Styptic pencils are $1 at Walmart [walmart.com] (no plastic carry tube), or $3 at Walgreen's [walgreens.com] (with a plastic carry tube).
By the way, the "sting free" part is complete BS. It stings like hell.<<Truth, as verified by another user. It stings like a you know what
GET HELP
The forums at Badger & Blade [badgerandblade.com] are your friend.
If you have a question about a product, it has been reviewed on B&B.
If you have a question about technique, it has been discussed on B&B.
If you have a question about where to buy what for the best price, the answer is on B&B.

Mantic59's YouTube channel [youtube.com] has amazing videos for all levels of wetshavers, particularly newbies that know nothing.
Go here to find out how to make proper brush lather, proper shave technique, proper blade angle, etc. He's a master.
Sharpologist [sharpologist.com] is a website started by the same guy with info on shaving, along with other grooming topics.
Please note that DE razors should be disposed of safely in a closed, sealed container (so that it can't be opened back up again easily after it's disposed of). They sell blade banks on amazon and other places for fairly cheap. <-- The dispensers for feather (and other) blades have a compartment on the back for used blades.

djmoksha 06-19-2012 08:03 AM

dang this is a great deal, i just paid about $10 more for this on amazon a couple weeks ago....

good find OP

sleepybubba 06-19-2012 08:22 AM

Would be a great deal, if not this --> resellerratings are 5.63 out of 10 [resellerratings.com]

Edit: still a great deal; I just get this nasty habbit of always checking the resellerratings for every online retailer.

LogicalBargains 06-19-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepybubba (Post 51074994)
Would be a great deal, if not this --> resellerratings are 5.63 out of 10 [resellerratings.com]

soap.com has been on SD before. it's a reputable site.

i actually had a glitch in the checkout process (because of an issue with my credit card, not soap.com) and had to call their customer service, and they were very pleasant and helpful.

sleepybubba 06-19-2012 08:37 AM

I am almost convinced. Would prefer ordering from Amaz0n, but it'll be another year before their price reaches $25 as it did last April (still don't know how could I have missed that).

Any advice on the blades for the DE shaving newbie?
Quote:

Originally Posted by LogicalBargains (Post 51075122)
soap.com has been on SD before. it's a reputable site.

i actually had a glitch in the checkout process (because of an issue with my credit card, not soap.com) and had to call their customer service, and they were very pleasant and helpful.

LogicalBargains 06-19-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepybubba (Post 51075318)
I am almost convinced. Would prefer ordering from Amaz0n, but it'll be another year before their price reaches $25 as it did last April (still don't know how could I have missed that).

haha i know, that's the only bad part about using the camelizer or the tracktor for amazon prices... you see some low price from a few months or a year ago and you just keep hoping it drops back down, but it's such a tease when it doesn't. i was hoping the same thing for this razor but i got tired of waiting.

as for the blades, this is actually my first venture into DE shaving, as well. i think the derby ones that it comes with should be fine, and they're very cheap on amazon [amazon.com]

but from what i've read, the best blade really depends on your face, and if you don't like the first one you try, you just have to keep trying new ones. there are a lot of variety packs out there, which should be good for that.

sleepybubba 06-19-2012 08:57 AM

Actually, the SD thread on this razor from Amaz0n is still available. There is loads of aggregated info in the Wiki. Would be a good start.

yabu_score 06-19-2012 09:11 AM

I was waiting to lunge into the world of safety razor, and now its today.

thanks OP

Now I need to decide which blades to get.

moonlightinred 06-19-2012 09:19 AM

For those getting into DE shaving, this is a great razor to start with...you could keep it forever and be happy (though for a lot of people, DE shaving becomes a collector's habit!).

Derby blades are a fantastic value. It DOES depend on your face, but Derby is a great place to start. I've tried Feather and Israeli Personna, but I prefer Derby (especially for the money).

Clarencuzio 06-19-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

I like the astra sp, smooth blade and not too irritating. Once you've been shaving for a bit I would give feathers a try, although I wouldn't recommend starting with them. It took me about 4-5 months to actually master DE shaving, I really don't think it should take that long, but I would bounce back and forth between that and my mach3.

My #1 piece of advice is that pressure is your worst enemy when it comes to DE shaving, very light pressure is all you need...check out badger and blade forums for info and mantic's videos on youtube.

bakerzdosen 06-19-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Well, my advice is, go to badger and blade or shaveden and look around there for a while.
Then, get a sampler pack. Here's an example of one:

http://connaughtshaving.com/popular.html

Note that they're in the UK, so shipping isn't gonna be extraordinarily fast to the US, but they're a good site to deal with (and $14.16 shipped for a 60 blade sample pack isn't bad at all). There are certainly others that offer sample packs. West Coast shaving [westcoastshaving.com] charges $21 for their 65 blade sample pack (w/o shipping) for example.

Most people seem to like the Astra SP's with this razor, but everybody's preference is different. Some HATE the Derby's and some swear by them. Pretty much everybody agrees that Feathers are the sharpest available, but that doesn't necessarily make them the best. Personna medical prep's are often praised as well (and they are made in the USA to boot...)

Ultimately, you're going to have to decide for yourself though. Good luck.

NihmRodd 06-19-2012 09:54 AM

Bought this razor a few years ago when my Merkur broke, and even though Merkur was nice enough to replace, that one sits in my cabinet as a backup/loaner, as for me it simply can't hold a candle to the reliable, smooth, cut-less shave I get from the Jagger.

For the DE shaving newbs, I second the notion of getting a sample pack of blades. Sure, it will cost more per blade than a 100-pack of Derby or whatever, but I'd have never settled on my personal pick of Astra blades if I hadn't tried half-a-dozen others first.

And for those worried about the resellerratings, I've placed quite a few orders from SOAP, and never had any troubles.

lhymes 06-19-2012 10:05 AM

Got this razor during the last soap.com deal about a month ago and been wet shaving since. I love it. Only have nicked myself a couple times (so about the same or less than a Fusion). I had used two of the Derby blades this came with and ended up switching to Feather. I'm very happy with the Feather blades - they're insanely sharp and shave very well. I use an Omega brush, Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Soap (Saddlewood), and Proraso Aftershave.

Some of my personal tips:
Shave right after showering.
Fill sink with medium-hot water and let the razor soak for a minute while you prep lather.
Don't use much shaving soap or water when making lather - a tiny bit goes a long way (the lather will be in the brush - not the bowl).
I do a 3-pass shave - if you have any rough patches, you're doing it wrong - determine what works best for your face - I do with grain, inwards, and against grain. Some people do with, inwards, and outwards.
Wipe face off between passes with the water in sink.
Never press the razor against your face - just let its weight do the work and guide it.
If the razor starts hopping across your wiskers stop and re-lather that area.
You don't need to pre-shave with an electric or clipper if you have gone a week without shaving like you do with a modern razor.
I shave my head also. For that, I do it in the shower and use regular shaving gel.
After your shave, first use the aftershave, then use a cold, damp cloth to close up your pores.
Don't get intimidated - shaving with a double edge is actually really easy and as long as you don't rush it or apply pressure, you shouldn't cut yourself. Also, use both edges to minimize cleaning and to maximize blade life.

Prince01 06-19-2012 10:06 AM

Well, I got the razor some 6-8 Months through Amazon and start using double edge safety razors and couldn't be happier.
Stop using all those expensive Gillette blades and all.
The shave is great, all you have to do is lets the weight of razor do the gliding over your face and dont need to apply any extra pressure and you will not only get smooth and refreshing wet shave, but saves you tons of money, I guess I change the blade average after 2 weeks of every other day shave, still I am not able to finish half of box which I bought along with this razor for $10.
You just need to do little bit practice and you should be fine.
I got the razor in like $23 but this is a good price as well.
I am waiting for Merkur deal, since Edwin is pretty good but little shot handle for me.

rankais 06-19-2012 10:18 AM

great deal on a great razor for all ya,
have a DE question,; I use Astra blades, can get for under $10 for 100 on Amazon, these blades have numbers on each side 1 and 2 and flip it over 3 and 4.....now i get about 2-3 shaves per blade, but are they made to flip over then use again???
100 Astra Superior Premium Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades $9.39 w f/s
http://www.amazon.com/Superior-Pr...zor+blades

raliffe5 06-19-2012 10:21 AM

Good deal

lhymes 06-19-2012 10:24 AM

The numbers can be used to keep track of how many shaves you've had with the blade by turning it and flipping it, but I dont think anyone uses them. Flipping the blade makes no difference otherwise.

rankais 06-19-2012 10:28 AM

thanks!! for the answer

montero97 06-19-2012 10:29 AM

Dumb question and I didn't see it mentioned....I usually shave in the shower with regular shaving gel. Any major issue with using regular shaving gel as opposed to the shaving cream type mentioned above? I like the idea of this razor but not sure I want to totally change my shaving habits too much. Thanks!

docu 06-19-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Astra SPs. Sharp and smooth.

Derby's did not work well for me but YMMV.

new_berlin 06-19-2012 10:53 AM

After plonking down over $50 on this razor, assorted blades, and other accessories, I have to get the following off my chest-

[1] Before buying, ask yourself why? If it is for the sake of novelty or because you have nothing better to do, go right ahead. What Larry Ellison experiences when he takes his bugatti out for a spin, or whatever Hugh Grant was after when he picked up that hooker-- you will approximate at a cheaper (although it's possible that Hugh paid even less) price. But don't buy this razor as a substitute for your current (modern) go-to DAILY option.

[2] The Edwin Jagger is beautiful to hold and caress but doesn't result in shaves worth a damn. Well, that's harsh because the shave is indeed reasonable but simply isn't in the same galaxy as what a decent modern shaving system (manual or electric) provides.

I've used the Edwin Jagger for about 10 shaves so far. If I do multiple passes (and take at least 15-minutes), the result approximates what I get in 2-minutes with a Gillete Mach 5, and 4-minutes with the Norelco. With a single pass shave (with DE), the result is shitty.

[3] Even cost savings are debatable. Thanks to SD, I snagged a Norelco electric shaver a couple years ago for a pittance. And it kicks this shaver to the curb. So far the DE has already cost me much more than what I've spent any previous year on shaving.

That said, I still like this shaver but only for looks and novelty. I doubt it will amount to anything more than a fling on the side.

peppermint 06-19-2012 10:56 AM

These are lousy razors.. I wonder why nobody makes something like the Gillette butterfly ones

new_berlin 06-19-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montero97 (Post 51078694)
Dumb question and I didn't see it mentioned....I usually shave in the shower with regular shaving gel. Any major issue with using regular shaving gel as opposed to the shaving cream type mentioned above? I like the idea of this razor but not sure I want to totally change my shaving habits too much. Thanks!

Using your regular shaving gel will make no difference but there's no way in hell you can use this on your face in the shower unless your stall has full length mirrors that never fog up.

SolnzeUSB 06-19-2012 11:10 AM

TU on wetshaving.
I use Merkur 34c with Voskhod Teflon blades I got at 10c a piece.

lhymes 06-19-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new_berlin (Post 51079396)
After plonking down over $50 on this razor, assorted blades, and other accessories, I have to get the following off my chest-

[1] Before buying, ask yourself why? If it is for the sake of novelty or because you have nothing better to do, go right ahead. What Larry Ellison experiences when he takes his bugatti out for a spin, or whatever Hugh Grant was after when he picked up that hooker-- you will approximate at a cheaper (although it's possible that Hugh paid even less) price. But don't buy this razor as a substitute for your current (modern) go-to DAILY option.

[2] The Edwin Jagger is beautiful to hold and caress but doesn't result in shaves worth a damn. Well, that's harsh because the shave is indeed reasonable but simply isn't in the same galaxy as what a decent modern shaving system (manual or electric) provides.

I've used the Edwin Jagger for about 10 shaves so far. If I do multiple passes (and take at least 15-minutes), the result approximates what I get in 2-minutes with a Gillete Mach 5, and 4-minutes with the Norelco. With a single pass shave (with DE), the result is shitty.

[3] Even cost savings are debatable. Thanks to SD, I snagged a Norelco electric shaver a couple years ago for a pittance. And it kicks this shaver to the curb. So far the DE has already cost me much more than what I've spent any previous year on shaving.

That said, I still like this shaver but only for looks and novelty. I doubt it will amount to anything more than a fling on the side.

It depends on how rough your face is on your blades. A fusion blade lasts me 3-4 shaves max - I have very rough facial hair. I go through a fusion pack from Costco in about 3-4 months depending on whether I shave everyday or decide to skip here-and-there. So, I've been dropping about $135 to $180 +tax on blades alone + need to preshave with an electric if I go 3 days without shaving. I spent about $100 total on all of my new shaving essentials and as well as it has been going, they will last me well over a year (heck, the feather blades last me close to 2 weeks based on the first two), and as I don't need to preshave, I'm saving time.

If you have very soft facial hair, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but if you have rough facial hair or super-sensitive skin, you can definitely benefit from switching to the "old-school" double edge razors. Just because it doesn't make sense for your situation doesn't mean that it's a novelty

As for the speed of the shave, a lot of it has to do with your handling of the blade. I've gotten pretty confident with shaving with it and can do a 3-pass shave to my face without nicks in about 5 minutes. My only nicks have been with shaving my head, which I do by touch not sight.

montero97 06-19-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new_berlin (Post 51079716)
Using your regular shaving gel will make no difference but there's no way in hell you can use this on your face in the shower unless your stall has full length mirrors that never fog up.

Good to know. Thanks, probably saved me from bleeding all over the place.

Ericro1 06-19-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

After much reading at Badger and Blade I got a few sample packs. I landed on Blue Bird blades. They give me just as good a shave as the feathers but are much more forgiving. I picked up 100 blades shipped on ebay.

I also picked up a 1949 Gillette on ebay. I like the idea of shaving with a razor nearly twice as old as I am.

stevodevo 06-19-2012 11:55 AM

good find... the EJ 89 was my first safety razor and a regular in my shaving stable. My daily driver is a 50's gillette SS. But I frequently switch back to the EJ since it's just so nice and shiny!

Mine came with Derby blades which I immediately ditched. They are very mild and didn't work for me. My favs now are Shark SS and Gillette 7 o'clock yellow.

Happy shaving!

ps. I can also highly recommend Edwin Jagger's badger brushes - they are fantastic.

maddog2099 06-19-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhymes (Post 51080082)
It depends on how rough your face is on your blades. A fusion blade lasts me 3-4 shaves max - I have very rough facial hair. I go through a fusion pack from Costco in about 3-4 months depending on whether I shave everyday or decide to skip here-and-there. So, I've been dropping about $135 to $180 +tax on blades alone + need to preshave with an electric if I go 3 days without shaving. I spent about $100 total on all of my new shaving essentials and as well as it has been going, they will last me well over a year (heck, the feather blades last me close to 2 weeks based on the first two), and as I don't need to preshave, I'm saving time.

If you have very soft facial hair, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but if you have rough facial hair or super-sensitive skin, you can definitely benefit from switching to the "old-school" double edge razors. Just because it doesn't make sense for your situation doesn't mean that it's a novelty

As for the speed of the shave, a lot of it has to do with your handling of the blade. I've gotten pretty confident with shaving with it and can do a 3-pass shave to my face without nicks in about 5 minutes. My only nicks have been with shaving my head, which I do by touch not sight.

Thank you for pointing out some things that the aforementioned poster had not thought of... I have very rough facial hair, to the point that I go through blades at about the same rate as you, although I may last longer because I just refuse to shave as often as I probably should because it's unpleasant most of the time. I can not use an electric shaver, I have tried 3 different models/styles with one being nearly top of the line $150 unit that performed for me, no better than the $60 units. They simply rip my facial hair out, and what they do cut is inconsistent lenghts, and not nearly close enough even if it was consistent. So I have given up on electric, and disposable cartridges are very expensive... I picked up one of these to give a try, I can take that extra time needed and just shave the night before work, I don't need a clean shave for work, and if this saves money and gives me a less irritated shave it will be well worth it.

Thanks OP, repped

stevodevo 06-19-2012 11:59 AM

off topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by new_berlin (Post 51079396)

My 2 cents on this is that YMMV. I picked up safety razor shaving because a) cartridge razors (refills!) are way too expensive and as a result I was using them way too long which led to b) both cartridge shaving AND my electric razor left my face feeling irritated and often with ingrown hairs.

Yes, DE shaving is almost 'hobby-like' in its appeal and as a result I haven't saved money but it has made shaving enjoyable again. I get better results (no ingrowns, much smoother shave) and I feel a whole lot better when I'm done.

Reps to the OP for a good find on a great DE razor.

SlickDillie 06-19-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montero97 (Post 51078694)

I wouldn't use the gel, I use this shaving cream http://www.amazon.com/Omega-46001...ving+cream I tried using my old shaving cream and it was miserable. As for shaving in the shower, this mirror works well for the money http://www.amazon.com/The-Shave-W...wer+mirror I used it a few times, but kinda prefer shaving at the sink.

SlickDillie 06-19-2012 12:22 PM

Also, I have tried most blades and the sharks work best for this razor on my face. I prefer them over the Astra and Feathers.

Sethbacca 06-19-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peppermint (Post 51079456)
These are lousy razors.. I wonder why nobody makes something like the Gillette butterfly ones

Try the Parker 22R. I've been using this model for the last couple of years and love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Parker-22R-...B0017QSZY4

It's worth noting that Parker has a number of other Butterfly models as well if you look around amazon. Primary difference appears to be handle style and weight.

The_Linux_Crew 06-19-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickDillie (Post 51081872)
Also, I have tried most blades and the sharks work best for this razor on my face. I prefer them over the Astra and Feathers.

I have limited experience, but here is my two cents. The Astra blades are good and cheap, way better than the Derby blades that come with the razor. It took me about a month to get a routine down that was fast, shaved close, and did not give me razor burn or cuts. So newbies should give it some time before giving up.

SlickDillie 06-19-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Linux_Crew (Post 51082998)
I have limited experience, but here is my two cents. The Astra blades are good and cheap, way better than the Derby blades that come with the razor. It took me about a month to get a routine down that was fast, shaved close, and did not give me razor burn or cuts. So newbies should give it some time before giving up.

My face hated the Derbys on this razor. The Astras were so much better, and I almost bought them but my variety pack had the Sharks, which I wound up loving. And 3-4 weeks minimum to get the hang of it. The first 3 or 4 times were pretty rough for me, but I blame some of that on the Derbys... :)

peppermint 06-19-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethbacca (Post 51082844)
Try the Parker 22R. I've been using this model for the last couple of years and love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Parker-22R-...B0017QSZY4

It's worth noting that Parker has a number of other Butterfly models as well if you look around amazon. Primary difference appears to be handle style and weight.

Thanks. Do you know if they have anything with the adjustable blade angle like Gillette used to make?

mindofm 06-19-2012 01:41 PM

These gave me both the closest shave and the most-sliced-up face I've ever had. Definitely not an easy adjustment from modern razors. I never got used to it.

Sethbacca 06-19-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peppermint (Post 51083748)
Thanks. Do you know if they have anything with the adjustable blade angle like Gillette used to make?

You're welcome! :)

I did a couple of quick searches and it looks like the only adjustable butterfly model currently being manufactured is the Merker Vision (which you're going to pay out the nose for).

peppermint 06-19-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sethbacca (Post 51083920)
You're welcome! :)

I did a couple of quick searches and it looks like the only adjustable butterfly model currently being manufactured is the Merker Vision (which you're going to pay out the nose for).

Thanks. I see plenty of used Gillette's on ebay but glad to know that someone still makes them

SlickDillie 06-19-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindofm (Post 51083918)
These gave me both the closest shave and the most-sliced-up face I've ever had. Definitely not an easy adjustment from modern razors. I never got used to it.

How long did you use it? What razor, blade and cream/soap? It took me a week shaving everyday to not destroy my face. Then it took sampling a half dozen blades and changing from a shave soap to a cream to get the right combo. Altogether, about a month and nearly $100 to get the right combination, but so worth it. :)

ooyler 06-19-2012 02:09 PM

SAVE 20% ON ANY GROCERY & HOUSEHOLD ITEMS IN YOUR NEXT ORDER!

ENTER CODE: GREATSOAP

Offer valid for customers on second Soap.com order only. Maximum discount value is $20 and one offer per household. Offer expires 7/28/2012. Offer is nontransferable. Other restrictions apply.

thisisme08 06-19-2012 04:18 PM

Cant chime in much more with whats already been said but I jumped on the Amazon deal from about 3-4 months ago @ $23ish bucks. Couldnt be more happier with the switch. My razor came with the Derby blades (which suck) so make sure you vist West Coast Shave and get yourself a sampler pack, so far I really like the Feathers and some Israeli brand which are also super sharp curiously though I have very sensitive skin so make sure you try different things as you never know what may happen!

bibb 06-19-2012 07:26 PM

I used my great uncles gold plated razor proudly for many years until it spun open and climbed ~5 " down my face. That was one knife fight I didn't win. Don't use it any more..................

serp07 06-20-2012 12:59 AM

Ordered mine from Amazon back in April, got it 2 months later.
Well, I have to say that d/e shaving is not for faint-hearted.
After few shaves I was almost discouraged, until I watched a couple youtube videos on
the technique.
Another must have thing for me is shave secret [amazon.com] - pre-shave lotion.
After years of throwing money away on cartridges, I don't think I'm ever going back.

Shotgoon 06-20-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serp07 (Post 51096120)
Ordered mine from Amazon back in April, got it 2 months later.
Well, I have to say that d/e shaving is not for faint-hearted.
After few shaves I was almost discouraged, until I watched a couple youtube videos on
the technique.
Another must have thing for me is shave secret [amazon.com] - pre-shave lotion.
After years of throwing money away on cartridges, I don't think I'm ever going back.

I gotta agree, Shave Secret is great (AND CHEAP!). Get it at Walmart for $3.xx without having to pay a crapload for shipping. I tried olive oil and eShave's lime sampler but neither worked nearly as well. With Shave Secret I don't nick anymore.

slavisa 06-20-2012 04:42 AM

Thanks OP!
My dads bday is coming up and i remember as i young one he used to have razor like this so it will be a perfect gift.

killumanti 06-20-2012 06:47 AM

+1 op. Good deal. I started wet shaving about 4 months ago. Its definitely turned into a hobby that has in no way saved me money compared to cartridge shaving. However, my shaves have been much better, and my skin is much healthier do the the prep and care that I now take. For the new wet shaver out there. It's not easy to develop a good technique. It will take some time, but once you master your own technique your shaves get much better and quicker. Definitely watch mantic59 YouTube videos. You will be able to learn the proper way to shave.. Also like others have mentioned, browse around badger and blade forum or the shave den. Both forums are very welcoming, and if you have any questions, they can help you out...
My routine for shaving is as follows: after showering, rinse with hot water to soften the beard. I then apply proraso pre/post shave cream. I let that sit while I whip up my lather. I apply lather then do my first with the grain pass "wtg" I apply more lather then I do my 2nd pass, across the grain "xtg" I apply more lather for my final pass, against the grain "atg" If my shave is not to my liking, I go and do touch ups over the rough patches. Once i'm done shaving, ill rinse with warm water to rinse away any soap residue, then I'll rinse with cold water to close the pores. After rinsing, ill apply an alum block After the alum block sits for a minute or two (i begin clean up while this sits) I'll rinse with cold water again, dry my face then apply witch hazel. Once the witch hazel drys, I'll apply my after shave. Once the after shave drys, then ill apply my after shave balm. My shave process normally takes around 15-20 minutes to complete.
Some of my favorite item are:
Razor- Weber in arc finish http://www.weberrazor.com/products
Blades- Israeli Red Persona
Cream- New proraso in sandalwood scent
Soaps- Cella followed very closely by any razorock soap
Aftershave- Clubman Pinaud- classic barber shop scent that reminds me of my childhood
Aftershave balm- Pre De Provence. Also Nivea makes a fine product for a good price.
Witch hazel- I use Tn Dickinson $3 a bottle at Walmart. I also buy essential oils and add them to the witch hazel to make custom scents.Thayers also makes a line of scented witch hazel which are very nice but can be pricey.
Alum block- Razorock is the only one I've tried. I'm sure any brand will do here.

Some good vendors that I recommend:
http://www.italianbarber.com/ great prices on razorock products.
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/
http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/

Welcome to the world of wet shaving!!! Hope you enjoy it!

Beartrkkr 06-21-2012 11:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WARNING TO ALL THAT GET IN ON THIS DEAL !!!!!!

Let your family know the signs of addiction.......

My homemade shaving stand, with from left to right:

Three "birth year" vintage Gillette razors (1966) and a new Edwin Jagger razor bought from Soap.com back in March of this year. Previous to this I was strictly a Braun electric razor shaver for at least 2 decades.

Also there are two boar brushes and one badger brush and a sampler of blades I got from West Coast Shaving.

I owned none of this prior to March of 2012.

Attachment 1335144

edplayer 06-21-2012 11:12 PM

nice stand

jesternl 06-22-2012 07:00 AM

that stand is very nice, good job!