Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   SwiftKey 3 Keyboard For Android on Sale For $0.99 - End of Summer Sale! (http://slickdeals.net/f/5128870-swiftkey-3-keyboard-for-android-on-sale-for-0-99-end-of-summer-sale)

Grrrl 08-31-2012 08:25 AM

SwiftKey 3 Keyboard For Android on Sale For $0.99 - End of Summer Sale!

1 Attachment(s)
SwiftKey 3 for Android is 75% off during their End of Summer Sale. Find it in the Google Play Store.

* Webby Awards People’s Voice Winner for Innovation, 2012 *
* Mobile World Congress Award Winner for Innovation, 2012 *

SwiftKey 3 Keyboard: Full Description and Purchase Details:
https://play.google.com/store/app...swiftkey#?

Enjoy! :nod:

wikipost 08-31-2012 08:25 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

Check out the whole End of Summer sale here: http://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_2012_08_27_SeasonEndSale [google.com]

Note that this app does NOT let you type via swiping. So if you type via swiping like me, this app is not for you!

Nocens 08-31-2012 08:29 AM

My phone and tablet already come with keyboards...

lattiboy 08-31-2012 08:39 AM

Oh man, SUCH a good keyboard. Can't imagine not having it installed. Sometimes it is creepy how well the prediction works.

No comparison to the built-in Android keyboards.

macallik86 08-31-2012 08:40 AM

cant imagine anyone not having this. It is that good. Coming from a blackberry -> android was a pain until I got this keyboard app.

ponyboy10 08-31-2012 08:50 AM

HIGHLY recommended!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crucible1001 (Post 52881358)
My phone and tablet already come with keyboards...

Unless you have a hardware keyboard, the text prediction and correction on this is completely worth the price to replace the stock keyboard.

papperlapapp 08-31-2012 08:52 AM

Every time I hear people raving about SwiftKey (well, almost...) I check it out and don't see the point.

Now ThumbKeyboard (https://play.google.com/store/app...yboardplus) I couldn't live without on my tablets.

LiquidRetro 08-31-2012 08:55 AM

I love this keyboard as well. I am tempted to buy it from the Playstore and dump the Amazon app store version I have from when they gave it away. Updates are just so much faster on the Playstore version. I shoudl have bought it when it was $0.10 with the google promo.

ranova 08-31-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidRetro (Post 52882062)
I love this keyboard as well. I am tempted to buy it from the Playstore and dump the Amazon app store version I have. Updates are just so much faster on the Playstore version.

its worth dumping the amazon app store. I completely uninstalled that app due to notification bugs, battery drainage, etc and re bought whatever I used or played on google market

mjv5864 08-31-2012 09:02 AM

Best kb so far.

bodysnatcher 08-31-2012 09:07 AM

The more you use it.. the more it knows what you're going to type..before you type it.. SCARY but great. Love this app.

cindyc1122 08-31-2012 09:09 AM

same here amazon drain the battery

myamex 08-31-2012 09:10 AM

swype Beta is free and its very good.

stettin 08-31-2012 09:17 AM

There is an annoying bug where if you have a period in your email address when logging in, it assumes you are completing a sentence and auto-corrects it for you by default without asking. I had no option to disable it on just email address fields or add my email address to the "dictionary" because it "learns automatically". Instead, I just turned off auto complete after space. The prediction is good enough after learning from my blog (not comfortable with it indexing my gmail), to write common sentences with just tap tap tap for the next words. It is really kind of creepy!

madcyantist 08-31-2012 09:17 AM

love this, repped

aggravated 08-31-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myamex (Post 52882484)

Wait, is everyone here not comparing this to swype? Swype came with my phone so that's all I've ever used, but I think it could be better.

meriadoc 08-31-2012 09:20 AM

annoying how you have to buy the tablet version and phone version separately (and tab version not on sale)

jbloggs 08-31-2012 09:29 AM

I like the Hacker's keyboard

https://play.google.com/store/app...pckeyboard

ShIzNiTs 08-31-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myamex (Post 52882484)

yeah ive been using swype beta. is this worth my dollar?

BUFdriver 08-31-2012 09:41 AM

My wife and I both have Samsung S3s. I wonder if I can pay once and install this app on both phones. Does anyone know? TIA.

drymonkey 08-31-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUFdriver (Post 52883246)
My wife and I both have Samsung S3s. I wonder if I can pay once and install this app on both phones. Anybody know? TIA.

Sure, if both phones are register under your Google/Play Store Account.

newwonder 08-31-2012 09:52 AM

The sale is only for Phone not Tablet

automated 08-31-2012 10:11 AM

Hoping for a sale on the tablet version...

Gabik123 08-31-2012 10:13 AM

Andddddd I just paid full price 2 days ago!

Kolto 08-31-2012 10:15 AM

i got thumbkeyboard from the amazon app store for free last summer, but is it worth going to swiftkey3?

scrambler63 08-31-2012 10:16 AM

A couple people already mentioned the Swype Beta. Can anyone who has used both offer some differences or features SwiftKey 3 has over Swype?

mutantblack 08-31-2012 10:16 AM

Been on beta long time and I love this keyboard. It is the best and must have for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrambler63 (Post 52884208)
A couple people already mentioned the Swype Beta. Can anyone who has used both offer some differences or features SwiftKey 3 has over Swype?

Swype is more like drawing on the keyboard. Swiftkey is touch type. They are different really. I used to use swype but I can't get the same speed typing as with Swiftkey. Swiftkey prediction is really one of the best once it's memorized all your word style.

aznhero913 08-31-2012 10:17 AM

Any free keyboards that resemble the one on the samsung nexus s???
that was the best and smoothest keyboard ever!!

I really hate the one on the HTC ONE X!!

MozartA 08-31-2012 10:24 AM

How is this compare to the Jelly Bean keyboard?
Won't it use more memory and/or battery with one more persistence app running all the time?

edplayer 08-31-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meriadoc (Post 52882704)
annoying how you have to buy the tablet version and phone version separately (and tab version not on sale)

that sucks

famewolf 08-31-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edplayer (Post 52884444)
that sucks

RE: Having to purchase the phone and tablet versions of swiftkey separately.

Agreed...but in their defense they've been very good about letting folks who purchased Swiftkey 1.x and 2.x upgrade to the latest and greatest for free vs an upgrade fee....that being said I do use swiftkey 3 on all my phone devices but I use the free app of the day thumb keyboard 4 on my HP Touchpad tablet.

famewolf 08-31-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by famewolf (Post 52884656)
RE: Having to purchase the phone and tablet versions of swiftkey separately.

Agreed...but in their defense they've been very good about letting folks who purchased Swiftkey 1.x and 2.x upgrade to the latest and greatest for free vs an upgrade fee....that being said I do use swiftkey 3 on all my phone devices but I use the free app of the day thumb keyboard 4 on my HP Touchpad tablet.

Amazon appstore CAN'T cause any sort of battery drain if you use something like the app "Autorun" or the feature in Rom Manager Lite to prevent amazon appstore from running on bootup....then it only runs when you choose to run it. I'm not going to delete something that gives me a free app every day...I'm not a gamer and alot of the apps ARE games but there has also been versions of officesuite pro and other apps that cost up to $15 normally. If you also "purchase" them via the web page @ http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps...2350149011 you don't even have to install any of them to your device..they just get added to your "account" and you can install later if you need them...this allows me to purchase ones I don't need now but MIGHT see a use for at some point in the future without bogging down my phone with 600 apps.

GreenT 08-31-2012 11:07 AM

What a coincidence! I was so sold on SwiftKey 3 yesterday, when I read this Business Insider article
This Productivity App Will Make You Wish You Had Android [businessinsider.com]
Does anyone know, in what way the paid version is better than the Free one? I've had the Free app for a day and I'm not as impressed (could be the learning curve and may be the app takes a while to figure our my typing pattern :confused: )
I don't intend to hook my Gmail/Twitter/Facebook accounts to this - does the typing still show significant improvement?
For someone who is a fairly experienced Swype user, does this still offer improvements in typing speeds?

edplayer 08-31-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by famewolf (Post 52884656)

Every android app I have used has free upgrades

rotorrocket 08-31-2012 12:52 PM

awesome keyboard.

Sorry Apple users, you're stuck with the lousy stock one...

chong67 08-31-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorrocket (Post 52888460)
awesome keyboard.

Sorry Apple users, you're stuck with the lousy stock one...

You serious Apple have no other variables?

I love this kb. Stock Android kb is terrible!

joelf15 08-31-2012 01:00 PM

wht i like about this kbd is the auto correct sometimes i spell a long word initially wrong but its a a headache to correct it by erasing backwards so i continue tying the rest of the word right.. You'll be amazed 90% of the times it'll predict the right word and its faster to click it than go back n correct.. I bought this at full price and I cannot live without it . Sometimes on some web secure sites it does not predict and then u realize how much ur used to it..

!xobile! 08-31-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MozartA (Post 52884394)
Won't it use more memory and/or battery with one more persistence app running all the time?

Prediction wise Jelly Bean keyboard is as good if not better than Swiftkey 3.

leidout 08-31-2012 06:30 PM

i used to love swiftkey, but version 3's update screwed up the ,!? locations.

i don't mind doing a long press, but having several punctuation marks under one button is a hassle.

mychaluva 08-31-2012 07:27 PM

needed this to replace my trial version... thanks!

ShIzNiTs 08-31-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenT (Post 52885586)
What a coincidence! I was so sold on SwiftKey 3 yesterday, when I read this Business Insider article
This Productivity App Will Make You Wish You Had Android [businessinsider.com]
Does anyone know, in what way the paid version is better than the Free one? I've had the Free app for a day and I'm not as impressed (could be the learning curve and may be the app takes a while to figure our my typing pattern :confused: )
I don't intend to hook my Gmail/Twitter/Facebook accounts to this - does the typing still show significant improvement?
For someone who is a fairly experienced Swype user, does this still offer improvements in typing speeds?

same questions and concerns. have the free version so far, whats the diff between the free and paid or is the free just a trial?

also i linked gmail and sms and still havent seen that great of an improvement versus swype beta.

laptopquestions 08-31-2012 08:38 PM

For $0.99 this is a no brain-er.. My Galaxy S3 has personally thanked me for the decision.

Reps to the OP.

Sephoroth 08-31-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShIzNiTs (Post 52883028)
yeah ive been using swype beta. is this worth my dollar?

They're both excellent keyboards. If you're already accustomed to Swype then you may find no need for this. Personally I use Swype on my phone and Swiftkey on my tablet (partially since Swype doesn't like to play nice with it).

Quote:

Originally Posted by chong67 (Post 52888622)
You serious Apple have no other variables?

I love this kb. Stock Android kb is terrible!

If I recall correctly, iOS requires jailbreaking for keyboard changes. In my opinion, the stock Android keyboard has been fine since Gingerbread (albeit not great) and is quite competitive with Swiftkey in Jellybean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by !xobile! (Post 52894860)
Prediction wise Jelly Bean keyboard is as good if not better than Swiftkey 3.

I'd also say Swype is pretty good prediction-wise in my experiences.

bigbearballs 08-31-2012 08:49 PM

I'd like to get this but I heard that swiftkey is gay.

I like the calendar that is 99 cents right now,

ticallista 08-31-2012 08:56 PM

Always been skeptical about non-stock keyboards but thought I'd give this a go.

Well worth it for $1. Could hardly make a mistake.

Macklessdaddy 08-31-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leidout (Post 52894900)

i don't mind doing a long press, but having several punctuation marks under one button is a hassle.

agreed, I hate this

belly 08-31-2012 09:11 PM

I have the free version from amazon but decided to get this anyway.
I've been waiting for the updated version on amazon since I received an email notification about a week ago and it never came. Google Play version has the latest version. For $0.99, why not?

AsbestosPudding 08-31-2012 09:52 PM

Paid for it so I could get rid of Amazon Appstore. Worth a buck, for sure, to get rid of that pile of shit.

tcope 08-31-2012 10:14 PM

I've had this on my S3 for about a month now. GREAT keyboard! I'd HIGHLY recommend it. I paid full price and don't mind that at all. Worth every penny.

wntrsnowg 09-01-2012 01:04 AM

bought it last time when it was on sale. the only app purchase i have ever made in my life, and it was worth it

nyrmetros 09-01-2012 01:14 AM

One of the best Android programs ever.

Grrrl 09-01-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

If you open up the SwiftKey app, under "Advanced" settings, and "Long-press duration", you can customize the time needed to select long-press characters (as short as 100ms, although you may not want it that short, after you try it out).

Should be a breeeze if you set it to your liking..

needhookups 09-01-2012 09:16 AM

OK...4 pages of mostly rave reviews? I'm one of the sceptics who doesn't see the big deal, but for 99 cents I'll give it a spin! Hell there's enough posts in here to get a penny back from each of you if I don't like the app lol. Also, I just checked a video overview of the app that has me impressed

DDriver 09-01-2012 11:11 AM

This keyboard is awesome. For the small screen phones it's the best typing type keyboard, for the bigger screen the layout could be improved.

Bought it a while ago when there was 0.10$ sale

worthmining 09-01-2012 11:14 AM

just bought it on android yesterday for $2.99. wtf.

anyway, the keyboard seems sluggish when thinking the best predication, might be my google nexus's too slow for it, either way I might not keep it for long if this slowness continues.

alanbrenton 09-01-2012 11:21 AM

How to install apps on more than one phone and not have to purchase it multiple times:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_...d-devices/

Enjoy.

ilive12 09-01-2012 11:35 AM

I already got it during the 10 cent sale, but I still prefer swype tbh. At least that is free anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by worthmining (Post 52907300)

anyway, the keyboard seems sluggish when thinking the best predication, might be my google nexus's too slow for it, either way I might not keep it for long if this slowness continues.

Are you on Jelly Bean or Ice Cream Sandwich?

worthmining 09-01-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilive12 (Post 52907642)
I already got it during the 10 cent sale, but I still prefer swype tbh. At least that is free anyway.

Are you on Jelly Bean or Ice Cream Sandwich?

Jellybean

Mo786 09-01-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

You know you don't have to actually long press, right? You can simply swype over that button towards the punctuation you want to use. For example, if you want to use the ? mark then simply swype right on that button and it will add it. It's much easier than long pressing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbearballs (Post 52897210)
I'd like to get this but I heard that swiftkey is gay.

I like the calendar that is 99 cents right now,

You heard wrong.

The calendar is awesome btw. I bought it a while ago for 10 cents mainly because of the widget it has. Makes things much easier if you use the calendar feature for reminders and such.

collarman 09-01-2012 11:50 AM

Repped. Have the cracked version working fine so figure why not buy.

methodz 09-01-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

It was $0.99 yesterday, that's when their end of summer sale started.
I got this, nova and modern combat for $0.99 a piece!!!

alanbrenton 09-01-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by collarman (Post 52907876)
Repped. Have the cracked version working fine so figure why not buy.

Do you get updates on cracked versions of Android or iOS apps? Just wondering since I don't know the answer. :)

Slack3r 09-01-2012 12:00 PM

I wish the Tablet version was on sale... need it for my Touchpad :/

ilive12 09-01-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbrenton (Post 52907966)
Do you get updates on cracked versions of Android or iOS apps? Just wondering since I don't know the answer. :)

It's harder to update, but possible for both OS's.

MozartA 09-01-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Seems like a lot of people think Jelly Bean keyboard is just as good. And Google certainly will improve their keyboard even more.
And also extra persistence app running all the time may use more phone memory and battery. Which can explain the slowness compare to stock Jelly Bean keyboard.

worthmining 09-01-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MozartA (Post 52908126)
Seems like a lot of people think Jelly Bean keyboard is just as good. And Google certainly will improve their keyboard even more.
And also extra persistence app running all the time may use more phone memory and battery. Which can explain the slowness compare to stock Jelly Bean keyboard.

this keyboard's predication is still better than jellybean's, only if the occasional sluggish is not there. My fat finger rate is way low with swiftkey.

grovestreet 09-01-2012 12:24 PM

how does this compare to swipe beta? I have swipe for a while and I like the fact that the keys are more of a square shape instead of the rectangle in swiftkey. I have a big phone and the screen is wide enough.

xxxHolic 09-01-2012 12:26 PM

PM Amazon.

DarnCrazy 09-01-2012 12:28 PM

So glad I saw this! I've been wanting to try the full version of this for a while and for a dollar its totally worth it!

equisch3x 09-01-2012 12:28 PM

Great keyboard, my favorite.

alanbrenton 09-01-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MozartA (Post 52908126)

I have Jelly Bean on my Nexus and I dislike the stock keyboard's predictive and auto correct capabilities. Maybe I should have just turned off those features but I only write short emails or notes on my smartphone anyway.

Hoping this keyboard will be as great as what people have said. Purchased one and installed on our three android devices. Not sure if all will update fine since I removed my gmail account after installing on the other two devices. :)

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_...d-devices/

BankofSD 09-01-2012 12:31 PM

Well worth the .99 cents. I paid 10 cents back in December would definitely buy this if I hadn't back then.

habib89 09-01-2012 12:35 PM

I have this (free from Amazon a while back) and I love it. I can't stand the built in android keyboard. I used Swype and that was alright, especially if you insist on using one hand, but I like how SwiftKey predicts my words almost flawlessly. I don't even have to look most of the time while I'm typing. Swiftkey is faster, Swype is interesting and different, but just "eh".

HeathAU25 09-01-2012 12:41 PM

Is this a lot better than GO KEYBOARD?

That's what I use on my S2 and it seems to work very well. And it's free.

jellysandwich 09-01-2012 12:58 PM

Note that this app does NOT let you type via swiping. So if you type via swiping like me, this app is not for you!

staticoverdub 09-01-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellysandwich (Post 52908790)

Hmm.. I seem to remember an app that would let you type via swiping. I like to swipe when I type rather than pressing keys swiftly. If only I could remember the keyboard that would let me swipe the letters...

Yeah, great keyboard. I will re-type for you the sentence that my phone predicts I will say with no adjustment from me:

I am prepared to have either of these days. I have to be up to the right to your website.

Alternate predictions:
Oh, good luck. I'm sure you weren't there, but the best. Road, but the best.
Haha yes! The only problem I had the pleasure.. I'm moving in. If I can do it all for the best of all of you, I was a great way of saying.

Swype has a much steeper learning curve than swiftkey. Swypers swear by it, but it may just be because they're used to all the swiping and have already committed the time to learning that. So yeah, I think it's good to try both. They're both great but very different.

hazbean 09-01-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stettin (Post 52882620)
There is an annoying bug where if you have a period in your email address when logging in, it assumes you are completing a sentence and auto-corrects it for you by default without asking. I had no option to disable it on just email address fields or add my email address to the "dictionary" because it "learns automatically". Instead, I just turned off auto complete after space. The prediction is good enough after learning from my blog (not comfortable with it indexing my gmail), to write common sentences with just tap tap tap for the next words. It is really kind of creepy!

If you have an email address from a common provider (Hotmail, Yahoo, or Gmail) then you can just long press the '@' symbol and select the appropriate provider. That should get around the issue you're experiencing.

diamondjoker5 09-01-2012 01:04 PM

Swift key 3 is so much better than the older swift key x. By far the best keyboard and better than stock. Multi language support is great too

WindySummer 09-01-2012 01:06 PM

Anyone know if this will work on HTC Incredible, if so does it make sense to get it if you text only? It's for my SO, and I don't know anything about Droids.

Thanks in advance.

HeathAU25 09-01-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staticoverdub (Post 52908860)
Hmm.. I seem to remember an app that would let you type via swiping. I like to swipe when I type rather than pressing keys swiftly. If only I could remember the keyboard that would let me swipe the letters...

Yeah, great keyboard. I will re-type for you the sentence that my phone predicts I will say with no adjustment from me:

I am prepared to have either of these days. I have to be up to the right to your website.

Alternate predictions:
Haha yes! The only problem I had the pleasure.. I'm moving in. If I can do it all for the best of all of you, I was a great way of saying.

Go Keyboard lets you swipe or type. Give it a whirl.

phedoblue 09-01-2012 01:09 PM

u guys still pay for android apps?

alanbrenton 09-01-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phedoblue (Post 52908950)
u guys still pay for android apps?

Besides android apps, what else can you get for free (curious...)?

Don't like malware and even Google Play is sometimes not able to police some app developers. At least on Windows, there are a lot of antivirus/antimalware applications.

phedoblue 09-01-2012 01:13 PM

u can get it from third party sites, i can't name it here cuz slickdeals might warn me, but look around google, search the app name and type in apk

anything can be free if u search with the right techniques, i dont pay for these things. Not even text books, all my classes, pdf can be downloaded, saved like thousands $$$ so far

Inpact 09-01-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbrenton (Post 52908960)
Besides android apps, what else can you get for free (curious...)?

Don't like malware and even Google Play is sometimes not able to police some app developers. At least on Windows, there are a lot of antivirus/antimalware applications.

Music, movies, games, and applications all can be had for free.

staticoverdub 09-01-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeathAU25 (Post 52908920)
Go Keyboard lets you swipe or type. Give it a whirl.

Haha, thanks. I was being facetious. A common swiping text app is swype. Yeah.

And I don't mind paying a dollar for lifetime updates for a great app that I use dozens of times a day from a quality developer. Plus there's no risk of malware/virus. I encourage everyone to pay their dollar for this.

alanbrenton 09-01-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phedoblue (Post 52908986)
u can get it from third party sites, i can't name it here cuz slickdeals might warn me, but look around google, search the app name and type in apk

anything can be free if u search with the right techniques, i dont pay for these things. Not even text books, all my classes, pdf can be downloaded, saved like thousands $$$ so far

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inpact (Post 52909038)
Music, movies, games, and applications all can be had for free.

Thanks both.

If it turns out that updating is too much of a hassle for sideloaded android apps, seems logical to pay a one-time $0.99 fee to get around the hassle of regularly downloading the apk's from others sources though. Many of us on slickdeals come here to save money and time anyway. I think this is probably one of the only apps I'm willing to pay anyway.

Free movies and music are okay since they will opened using specific dedicated players. Games and applications with so many executables and dll's may not be as safe though.

Not saying I'm not guilty... :)

phedoblue 09-01-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbrenton (Post 52909164)
Thanks both.

If it turns out that updating is too much of a hassle for sideloaded android apps, seems logical to pay a one-time $0.99 fee to get around the hassle of regularly downloading the apk's from others sources though. Many of us on slickdeals come here to save money and time anyway. I think this is probably one of the only apps I'm willing to pay anyway.

Free movies and music are okay since they will opened using specific dedicated players. Games and applications with so many executables and dll's may not be as safe though.

Not saying I'm not guilty... :)

I would careless since i'm constantly changing new roms anyway, I'm on galaxy S3 and I change roms like 3 times a month. From my experience, I have not seen any malware in android messing up my device, I'm the main culprit that mess with the system app by removing them.

mbarry55 09-01-2012 01:27 PM

SwiftKey is worth the full price. Its absolutely worth 99 cents. And I don't really think that because you can pirate android apps, makes this somehow not a hot deal. I'm surprised posts like that even get allowed.

xxxHolic 09-01-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Free food also?

staticoverdub 09-01-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxHolic (Post 52909264)
Free food also?

You'll have to hit up Costco on a weekend for that.

Inpact 09-01-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staticoverdub (Post 52909284)
You'll have to hit up Costco on a weekend for that.

+ $50 membership fee for entrance.

staticoverdub 09-01-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inpact (Post 52909290)
+ $50 membership fee for entrance.

It's funny that we said the same thing, then you edited to this. lol.

Inpact 09-01-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staticoverdub (Post 52909346)
It's funny that we said the same thing, then you edited to this. lol.

My costco entrance person is very strict and will not let people in without membership card. It is funny that people of different race try to blend with a family of a different race in to get into Costco.

staticoverdub 09-01-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inpact (Post 52909394)
My costco entrance person is very strict and will not let people in without membership card. It is funny that people of different race try to blend with a family of a different race in to get into Costco.

Mine will let people into the cafe area without a membership. It then becomes easy to infiltrate Freesampletopia. Sometimes I steal a box and hide in it to feel like Solid Snake. Nobody has any idea where I disappear to.

No, that last part is a lie.

Tech_Hunter 09-01-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Great, so you steal online. Cool for you I guess. Not something you should be encouraging.

algorhythm 09-01-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

You're a class act, my friend. I hope you never put out something into the market and expect people to pay for it.

I've pirated Android apps in the past, but I have used them as an extended trial. 15 minutes is nowhere near enough time. I think the longest I've had a pirated app was for a month or two, until I realized I used it every day and I ended up just buying it.

If 2$ is out of your league for buying an app, your priorities are out of whack.

leidout 09-01-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grrrl (Post 52904402)
If you open up the SwiftKey app, under "Advanced" settings, and "Long-press duration", you can customize the time needed to select long-press characters (as short as 100ms, although you may not want it that short, after you try it out).

Should be a breeeze if you set it to your liking..

The long press duration isn't the problem, it's the fact that several punctuation marks are now under a single key. This wasn't the case in swiftkey 2.

algorhythm 09-01-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leidout (Post 52909652)
The long press duration isn't the problem, it's the fact that several punctuation marks are now under a single key. This wasn't the case in swiftkey 2.

If you swipe to the right of the '.' key you get a question mark without having to hold. Same goes for left to get an exclamation point.

HetfieldJ 09-01-2012 02:05 PM

I have tried a lot of free keyboards including Go keyboard and Multiling but there is no better app than swiftkey.
Beta without dictionary is useless.

can I use paid apps after changing the phone?

I

slickfree 09-01-2012 02:12 PM

If you already have the APP from Amazon, it includes all the upgrades right?

jellysandwich 09-01-2012 02:21 PM

This thread is about Swiftkey, not the other apps. Not only that, but Swiftkey has been compared to both Samsung's built-in keyboard and swype. It's only natural that people may assume that Swiftkey would have it as well (for example, me).

I guess I don't quite understand your humor in this situation... I just wanted to warn other users about this lack of functionality so they don't waste money on this particular app.

Quote:

Originally Posted by staticoverdub (Post 52908860)

Alternate predictions:

Swype has a much steeper learning curve than swiftkey. Swypers swear by it, but it may just be because they're used to all the swiping and have already committed the time to learning that. So yeah, I think it's good to try both. They're both great but very different.

phedoblue 09-01-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by algorhythm (Post 52909618)
You're a class act, my friend. I hope you never put out something into the market and expect people to pay for it.

I've pirated Android apps in the past, but I have used them as an extended trial. 15 minutes is nowhere near enough time. I think the longest I've had a pirated app was for a month or two, until I realized I used it every day and I ended up just buying it.

If 2$ is out of your league for buying an app, your priorities are out of whack.

I constantly change apps so it doesn't matter, and as far as I know , I dont have any trial app, all full, dont know what u talking about

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech_Hunter (Post 52909614)
Great, so you steal online. Cool for you I guess. Not something you should be encouraging.

yeah I'm not discussing my source, not like noone on here doing that. Only naive college students willing to pay $200 for a book nowadays, I bet you are one

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxHolic (Post 52909264)
Free food also?

I don't take welfare, however I do make money out of banks and government

algorhythm 09-01-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phedoblue (Post 52910056)
I constantly change apps so it doesn't matter, and as far as I know , I dont have any trial app, all full, dont know what u talking about

yeah I'm not discussing my source, not like noone on here doing that. Only naive college students willing to pay $200 for a book nowadays, I bet you are one

I don't take welfare, however I do make money out of banks and government

I think you misunderstand our posts. We all think you're a dipshit for admitting blatant piracy. If you're going to do it, at least do it without bragging.

Hinosaki 09-01-2012 02:59 PM

FUUUUUU. I didn't know this was the phone version. Oh well.

badass4000 09-01-2012 03:03 PM

bought, repped.

staticoverdub 09-01-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellysandwich (Post 52909952)
This thread is about Swiftkey, not the other apps. Not only that, but Swiftkey has been compared to both Samsung's built-in keyboard and swype. It's only natural that people may assume that Swiftkey would have it as well (for example, me).

I guess I don't quite understand your humor in this situation... I just wanted to warn other users about this lack of functionality so they don't waste money on this particular app.

Yeah. I was being facetious. I spose I was under the impression that everyone out there was familiar with the Swype/Swiftkey dichotomy. Many apps out right now are derived from these two distinct approaches.

And if you're interested in learning just a little bit more about pirating Intellectual Property, click here [free-culture.cc]. The most relevant section starts on page 82.

staticoverdub 09-01-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phedoblue (Post 52910560)
u dont have to read, and I'm just pointing out pros and cons I'm not posting anything considered piracy
You have your right to pay, I have my right to say there's no need to pay for certain thing, that's it. Don't be ugly here. Keep crying on

I doubt the PDFs and APKs you're downloading are in the public domain. And I don't think you have the author's permission to download them. Are you saying this isn't piracy?

phedoblue 09-01-2012 03:20 PM

Like I said, I have not discussed the source and not willing to, I'm just pointing out options, why yall people want elaboration too much? A google search is considered piracy now?
if you're breaking something, I say you can simply look around you to find something and blow it up, so if the person is killed in any way, it's my fault? Jeez
Anyway, screw this thread, freaking long conversation over 99 cents deal. Say whatever ya want

staticoverdub 09-01-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phedoblue (Post 52910744)
Like I said, I have not discussed the source and not willing to, I'm just pointing out option, why yall people want elaboration too much? A google search is considered piracy now?
come on bring it on

Quote:

Care to explain? You've saved thousands of dollars because you've downloaded your textbooks instead of buying them, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by phedoblue (Post 52910056)

And people who don't download their textbooks are naive college students, right?

By saying you have a source that you can't discuss implies that you download things illegally from this source, and that you cannot post it because it's against SD policy to endorse or promote piracy.

phedoblue 09-01-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staticoverdub (Post 52910770)
Care to explain? You've saved thousands of dollars because you've downloaded your textbooks instead of buying them, right?

you can do your own research sir :)
google.com is your portal to everything. It's up to you how to use it right to find the right thing. And yes, I''ve taken 11 engineering courses this year without paying for one book. Hopefully I can keep this pace till I'm done

staticoverdub 09-01-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phedoblue (Post 52910806)
you can do your own research sir :)
google.com is your portal to everything. It's up to you how to use it right to find the right thing. And yes, I''ve taken 11 engineering courses this year without paying for one book. Hopefully I can keep this pace till I'm done

This is not about research.

Look, I think I know what you might be trying to communicate but the way you're doing it seems shady and reacting with hostility isn't the right way to address it. It looks like your English is a little rough around the edges which isn't helping things.. If you're talking about free, open source knowledge then sure. Have at it. This is like downloading a copy of Through the Looking Glass; no one owns the rights (or they've waived some of them if they do).

But if you're downloading an illegally scanned, uploaded, and distributed copy of a textbook then this is piracy. I wouldn't go around on a public forum saying that you have a source for anything like this.

shatter 09-01-2012 03:42 PM

This has been 10 cents before. I have it but can't live without Swype! :)

xWarMECHx 09-01-2012 03:58 PM

Not sure if this was already mentioned, but do not buy this specific version if you plan on using it on a tablet.

The developers purposely "de-optimize" it on a large tablet (trust me some of the things that happen are ridiculous and obviously malicious), then basically prompts you that you should've purchased the Tablet version (which isn't on sale).

While its wonderful for small devices (I use it on my Optimus), Thumb Keyboard is 1000x better for a tablet.

ihaveaquestion 09-01-2012 03:59 PM

This is embarrassingly bad. *Palm face*

Look, everyone knows how to pirate, but we are smart enough not to brag about it.

algorhythm 09-01-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phedoblue (Post 52911200)
when i feel like it, report me

Sounds good. You're bringing absolutely nothing to this thread.

Has anyone seen any indication that the TABLET version of this will go on sale?

BigKayDaddy 09-01-2012 04:19 PM

How is the keyboard better than Swype?

staticoverdub 09-01-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigKayDaddy (Post 52911484)
How is the keyboard better than Swype?

It's not necessarily better. It's more similar to the default keyboard and is easier to see an immediate improvement over the default keyboard. It takes a bit to get used to Swype but some people prefer it.

I like SwiftKey.

blowout 09-01-2012 04:30 PM

New Android user here and I have a question. I see ppl talking about the Amazon Android store but I can't find that in google play, just Amazon mobile which I installed but I can't find the free app page.

Triads 09-01-2012 04:33 PM

I have SLIDEIT. Is it worth to get this?

xWarMECHx 09-01-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blowout (Post 52911658)
New Android user here and I have a question. I see ppl talking about the Amazon Android store but I can't find that in google play, just Amazon mobile which I installed but I can't find the free app page.

Google isn't dumb enough to put in a competing app market in their market :P

Visit this link from your mobile device: www.amazon.com/amazonappstoreapp

Note: Your device must be allowed to install 3rd party apps.

staticoverdub 09-01-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blowout (Post 52911658)

Search for it using your browser. You will probably have to enable third party software installations, which should be explained on the amazon installation page.

XiDa 09-01-2012 05:34 PM

From reading the description, it seems there's no Chinese input, but there are all these other languages, dafuq?

CaptPicard 09-01-2012 05:49 PM

I had been using the trial version of this, but uninstalled it because I was tired of the popups telling me to buy the program. Now I don't have to worry about that again! :)

famewolf 09-01-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xWarMECHx (Post 52911230)
Not sure if this was already mentioned, but do not buy this specific version if you plan on using it on a tablet.

The developers purposely "de-optimize" it on a large tablet (trust me some of the things that happen are ridiculous and obviously malicious), then basically prompts you that you should've purchased the Tablet version (which isn't on sale).

While its wonderful for small devices (I use it on my Optimus), Thumb Keyboard is 1000x better for a tablet.

I use swiftkey on my phones but on my tablet (HP Touchpad) I use either Go Keyboard with the PAD addon making it optimized for tablet or Thumb Keyboard 4 which I got as an Amazon Free App of the Day. Both work quite well and can either act as normal keyboards or the "split keyboard" design some folks prefer.

I had swiftkey as a free amazon app of the day but was not receiving any updates so when it was available for $0.10 a while back I purchased it on the google play side...I STILL think it's worth $0.99.

Only people with "The world owe's me everything on a silver platter" attitude would suggest piracy of an app that costs less that folks pay for a bottle of soda everyday. The one doing that probably doesn't tip his waitress at the restaurant either because again that would cost more than the price of this app.

slickfatty 09-01-2012 06:26 PM

I just bought this for my S3. It is almost as responsive as the Gnex running Jelly Bean.

I am still in shock at how horrible the stock Samsung S3 keyboard is, slow and laggy. Most shocking of all is that it automatically adds every misspelled word into the user dictionary by pressing space, unless there's something painfully obvious that I'm missing, this is all at default options.

shellie 09-01-2012 06:44 PM

i just bought it for my s3! yippee!

rabbitfoot 09-01-2012 06:53 PM

Swype FTW, my wife tried my Galaxy with swype then she ended up getting rid of her iPhone for a galaxy . FYI with Swype you can text holding your phone in one hand just using your thumb.

boozelee 09-01-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shatter (Post 52911030)
This has been 10 cents before. I have it but can't live without Swype! :)

i felt the same way about swype until i started using swiftkey. my android device came preinstalled with swype, and it was a no-brainer to use it over the stock samsung keyboard. i grew to love swiping over the traditional method of text input, and considered swype to be an essential install. then the nuance beta came out with the dragon voice dictation, and swype no longer felt quite as snappy as it once did on my device. so i gave swiftkey a try, and haven't looked back since.

swiping became second nature for me, but there is no denying the workout your thumb receives when you are typing out more than a few words. swiftkey is the opposite in this regard, as its goal is to minimize the amount of times your thumb must touch the keyboard. i started using swiftkey from scratch, without having it analyze my email/twitter/etc, and i must say that i am truly impressed by how well it has learned from my typing habits. most of the time i really only have to type the first couple letters of a word before it correctly predicts what i wanna type.

it's possible that the lastest swype beta has improved performance, but at this point i don't even care. bottom line, i'll never be able to furiously swipe as fast as i can peck, comfortably and relaxed, on swiftkey.

TruckerGirl07 09-01-2012 09:57 PM

I switched from Android to iPhone earlier this year and I miss SwiftKey so so so so So So SO SO much. I can't imagine anyone using anything else. I typed most everything with just the first one or two letters of each word. Hate typing every letter on iPhone & then having it "correct" something incorrectly. GET THIS.

Inpact 09-01-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabbitfoot (Post 52913434)
Swype FTW, my wife tried my Galaxy with swype then she ended up getting rid of her iPhone for a galaxy . FYI with Swype you can text holding your phone in one hand just using your thumb.

Um you can always do that... Even with a big phone like the Note, typing w/ your thumb is always easy.

Soulstrength 09-02-2012 01:23 AM

The language modeling done by this keyboard is quite good (this coming from a researcher in language model adaptation). This keyboard's predictive abilities are particularly good if you are not a native speaker of a language. I have been using this with Italian and it has helped me write emails and texts by completing verb tenses (even reflexive) and gender/number agreement.

JL6speed 09-02-2012 08:46 AM

Highly recommend picking this up. For only $1 vs original $4? I used to use Swype, but the new Beta is like a downgrade. Can't input custom words in dictionary anymore like the prior beta. Swift keyboard is a bit more accurate so far.

DeeBeeRN 09-02-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macallik86 (Post 52881668)
cant imagine anyone not having this. It is that good. Coming from a blackberry -> android was a pain until I got this keyboard app.

I agree that I am having trouble with Android post Blackberry. In 4 1 thanks to your post.

GrandmasterBBC 09-02-2012 01:12 PM

I installed today on my Galaxy S II. So far I see it as a HUGE improvement over the standard keyboard. Auto correct really works well and it is easy to use. Rep!

mirage18ls 09-02-2012 03:42 PM

purchased it for my evo...thanks op!

J3ff 09-02-2012 03:47 PM

where's the swype option?

craigx42 09-02-2012 03:59 PM

Anyone kniw how long this will be on sale for?

kingfetish17 09-02-2012 05:17 PM

Just got this & Vignette. Awesome deals! Repp'd

Padmakumara 09-03-2012 12:42 PM

Wow this keyboard is a must have! My Galaxy S2 keyboard was pretty good at predicting text and my Amaze wasn't bad either. But it's not the predictive text that impresses me the most, it's simply the ability to type quickly and accurately with fewer misspelled. That counts for a lot. Tried to report you OP but I can't do it from my S2, it won't allow me.

I don't miss the Swype ability too much because eventually the Swype would get it wrong and I'd have to delete it and go back to typing anyway. I'm so excited I'm looking for excuses to go and use this keyboard now!

One con I've discovered. When I type in landscape mode, the text box gets pushed to the very top of the screen, making it difficult to see. It also becomes more difficult to maneuver your cursor the way my Amaze worked. The S2 keyboard seems to do a much better job of this. To place my cursor, I have to put my finger on the screen where I want it and hold it for a second or two. Otherwise the cursor goes all over the place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranova (Post 52882094)
its worth dumping tkehe amazon app store. I completely uninstalled that app due to notification bugs, battery drainage, etc and re bought whatever I used or played on google market

I thought I was the only one who un installed the Amazon App due to crappie battery life and worse performance. I get scared when I have to download that app to get one of those freebies.

RustyTools 09-03-2012 12:53 PM

Got the Swiftkey 3 for tablets after seeing this post I'm in love! The stock android keyboard is just so blahh

looked 09-03-2012 07:47 PM

best android keyboard

TDMVP73 09-03-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looked (Post 52950760)
best android keyboard

Eh, it's okay.

I like Thumb Keyboard personally. :)

The big 3 are: Thumb Keyboard, Swype and Swiftkey.

cosrocket 09-27-2012 12:39 PM

I bought this and when enabling it there is a message that SwiftKey collects data including credit card #'s but not passwords. Is this something to be concerned about?

ciked 10-05-2012 02:32 PM

Wish they had an iPhone version for this app. Can't find anything even close even in the jb sections

- sent by iPhone App Deals & Steals 3.5.7 -

ebonyks 10-06-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MozartA (Post 52884394)

Both are good, I think swiftkey 3 is slightly superior in day-to-day use because of how swiftkey handles punctuation. I've never had any battery issues with either though

AtelierApple 10-06-2012 06:41 PM

Superior. Not because of predictions but rather because it is so fast and responsive. Get it.