Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Free Digital Goods (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   15 Free Audible.com Books: The Time Traveler's Wife, Killing Floor, Black River and More(NO 30 DAY AUDIBLE TRIAL REQUIRED) (http://slickdeals.net/f/5168874-15-free-audible-com-books-the-time-traveler-s-wife-killing-floor-black-river-and-more-no-30-day-audible-trial-required)

gymsock 09-09-2012 01:03 PM

15 Free Audible.com Books: The Time Traveler's Wife, Killing Floor, Black River and More(NO 30 DAY AUDIBLE TRIAL REQUIRED)

6 Attachment(s)
Fifteen FREE Audible Books - The Time Traveler's Wife , Killing Floor, Black River & More:
NO AUDIBLE 30 DAY TRIAL IS REQUIRED - JUST FOLLOW MY LINKS -- STILL LIVE AS OF 9/26
--Offered by Audible. Just need an Audible account. Not sure how long these will be free.
--Kindle Owners: Some of these books work with Wispersync.

The Story of Miss Moppetby Beatrix Potter (Narrated by Gale Van Cott) Link [audible.com] 9/19 NEW!!! For kids: only 2 minutes but is an enhanced audiobook with pictures (thanks wineaux)

The Two by Will Carver (Narrated by Richard Aspel, Nicki Paull) ***Whispersync for Voice-ready Link [audible.com] 9/17 NEW!!! :doh:Reviews don't look very good

The Conservative Nanny State: How the Wealthy Use the Government to Stay Rich and Get Richer by Dean Baker (Narrated by Sandra Swafford) Link [audible.com] 9/16 NEW!!!

The End of the Affair by Graham Greene (Narrated by Colin Firth) Link [audible.com] 9/15 NEW!!!

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (Narrated by William Hope, Laurel Lefkow) Link [audible.com]

Killing Floor by Lee Child (Narrated by Lee Child) Link [audible.com]

Black River by Dean Koontz (Narrated by Dean Koontz) Link [audible.com]

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (Narrated by Barrett Whitener) Link [audible.com]

Tribes by Seth Godin (Narrated by Seth Godin) Link [audible.com]

Free: The Future of a Radical Price by Chris Anderson (Narrated by Chris Anderson) Link [audible.com]

Bound to Rise, or, Up the Ladder by Horatio Alger (Narrated by Macleod Andrews) Link [audible.com] ***Wispersync -->No longer free, $1.99 as of 9/20--See Wiki

Four-Day Planet by H. Beam Piper (Narrated by Eric Stuart) Link [audible.com] ***Wispersync -->No longer free, $1.99 as of 9/20--See Wiki

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey (Narrated by Stephen R. Covey) Link [audible.com]

The Lair of the White Worm Link [audible.com] -->No longer free as of 9/10--See Wiki

The Cosmic Computer Link [audible.com] ***Wispersync -->No longer free as of 9/10--See Wiki

Irresistible Forces Link [audible.com] -->No longer free as of 9/10--See Wiki

Summer's Path Link [audible.com]

Vintage Death: A Story from Thriller 2 Link [audible.com]

The New World: Prequel to the Chaos Walking Trilogy Link [audible.com]

Photographs & Phantoms Link [audible.com] ***Wispersync -->No longer free as of 9/10, now $4.95--See Wiki

Books highlighted with ***Wispersync:
If you buy the ebook for free on Amazon, you will be able to use the Wispersync feature on Kindle devices that are capable of audio output.
Here are the Amazon links:

The Cosmic Computer $0 [amazon.com]
Four-Day Planet $0 [amazon.com]
Bound to Rise $0 [amazon.com]
Photographs and Phantoms $0 [amazon.com]

(Special thanks to Emily Bronte for post in Kindle Discussions at Amazon)

wikipost 09-09-2012 01:03 PM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

11/16/12 - A few of these Audible narrations are still Free but most are just broken links now.

NO AUDIBLE.COM TRIAL SIGNUP IS REQUIRED. ALL OP'S LINKS GO DIRECTLY TO THE FREE AUDIOBOOKS

9/20/12: BE CAREFUL: Audible is changing the prices of some of these book, make sure it's FREE before you confirm purchase!!!

More Free Audiobooks--Amazon "Classics" ebooks with FREE Audible Audiobook:
http://slickdeals.net/f/5168972-Free-Classic-eBooks-with-FREE-Audibles-Audiobook-Narration-on-Amazon-27-Books-No-Audibles-30-Day-Trial-Account-Needed

Some people are reporting an error during checkout at audible.com.
As long as the transaction says $0 the audiobook should end up in your Audible "My Library". You can check it there.

This post can be edited by most users to provide up-to-date information about developments of this thread based on user responses, and user findings. Feel free to add, change or remove information shown here as it becomes available. This includes new coupons, rebates, ideas, thread summary, and similar items.

jesternl 09-09-2012 01:49 PM

thanks! Some I already had from previous freebies, some I did not. Much appreciated

tfresca 09-09-2012 02:47 PM

Audible tried to sneak a 14-day free trail into my basket by default, the removing from cart button isn't very visible but I did see it. I was able to grab all the books. Some of them are super short but free is free. Thanks to the OP, sorry for the misunderstanding

microkelvin 09-09-2012 02:54 PM

I dont see anywhere it mentioned about 14 days trial. where did you see it?

gymsock 09-09-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfresca (Post 53087984)
As far as I can tell this requires you sign up for a free 14 day trial. You can cancel before you are charged but still.

NO TRIAL SIGN UP IS REQUIRED! Just follow my links.

tfresca 09-09-2012 02:56 PM

I stand corrected, I hadn't logged into my account in a long time. They apparently auto added that to my cart.

gymsock 09-09-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microkelvin (Post 53088070)
I dont see anywhere it mentioned about 14 days trial. where did you see it?

My links allow you to get the audiobooks for free WITHOUT having to sign up for any kind of trial period.

microkelvin 09-09-2012 02:59 PM

somehow i got 16 total.

gymsock 09-09-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microkelvin (Post 53088120)
somehow i got 16 total.

Yeah, I found an extra one! I haven't seen freebies this good from Audibles in a long time. Pretty good variety of books. People who listen to audiobooks should be able to find at least a few they're interested in from this list.

I also found a bunch of free "classics" ebooks that the audiobooks are also free for:
http://slickdeals.net/f/5168972-Free-Classic-eBooks-with-FREE-Audibles-Audiobook-Narration-on-Amazon-27-Books-No-Audibles-30-Day-Trial-Account-Needed

bubbagump24 09-09-2012 03:25 PM

thanks OP!!! :woot:

VTTreeklla 09-09-2012 03:29 PM

You made two links for the same deal...cheap.

gymsock 09-09-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTTreeklla (Post 53088624)
You made two links for the same deal...cheap.

Two different deals, they're not the same.

teeniebeenie6 09-09-2012 03:58 PM

Quick question, were these books offered for anyone to download? When I search the books in the system I don't find them to be free. I personally don't want to download a book if it wasn't meant to be free for me, kwim? Thanks!

boosterjm 09-09-2012 04:04 PM

I added them in cart and it didn't go through during complete order click. Guess it got sold out!

gtsh0pp3r 09-09-2012 04:15 PM

cool, thanks op, and repped

blant217 09-09-2012 04:17 PM

Yeah, not letting me checkout...I think I need to just keep trying. Thanks OP, repped.

nodreamer 09-09-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boosterjm (Post 53089016)
I added them in cart and it didn't go through during complete order click. Guess it got sold out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by blant217 (Post 53089178)
Yeah, not letting me checkout...I think I need to just keep trying. Thanks OP, repped.

I had problem checking out but received a confirmation email and the books show up in my library.

gymsock 09-09-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teeniebeenie6 (Post 53088946)
Quick question, were these books offered for anyone to download? When I search the books in the system I don't find them to be free. I personally don't want to download a book if it wasn't meant to be free for me, kwim? Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by boosterjm (Post 53089016)

Quote:

Originally Posted by blant217 (Post 53089178)

It's still working. I just completed a purchase of "Summer's Path" to check and it went through fine.

"Thank you. Your order is confirmed.
Your credit card was charged: $0.00"

I'm not sure how you are entering the titles, but if you are just typing them in at the Audibles website it might try to charge you. Suggest maybe doing them one at a time and using my links.

cpnfantstk 09-09-2012 04:39 PM

Thanks for the deal OP but why is your link Free but searching the title it is not. What made yours free ?

gymsock 09-09-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpnfantstk (Post 53089470)
Thanks for the deal OP but why is your link Free but searching the title it is not. What made yours free ?

:scratchh: I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you :pirate:

deedz2 09-09-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymsock (Post 53089740)
:scratchh: I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you :pirate:

:lol: Thx got these books too, OP! TU and it only let me rep you for the one time. Great deal!

skoenig 09-09-2012 05:27 PM

White Worm says $11.95 and Summer's Path $0.95 for me both following OP's links...

Everything else rock solid 0.00... thanks!

joe221 09-09-2012 05:31 PM

It's Audible not Audibles.
Repped anyway.

gymsock 09-09-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skoenig (Post 53090230)
White Worm says $11.95 and Summer's Path $0.95 for me both following OP's links...

Not sure why not working, but try these:

Everything else rock solid 0.00... thanks!

Summer's Path [audible.com]

CheapForMe 09-09-2012 05:34 PM

Got them for free, but won't let me authorize to listen on my ipod. Never tried this before. I usually just download from libraries with OverDrive Media. Anyone care to help me out?

4Squares 09-09-2012 06:03 PM

Thanks OP!

gymsock 09-09-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheapForMe (Post 53090368)
Got them for free, but won't let me authorize to listen on my ipod. Never tried this before. I usually just download from libraries with OverDrive Media. Anyone care to help me out?

You need to get the free Audible app from the iTunes store.

CheapForMe 09-09-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymsock (Post 53091384)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CheapForMe (Post 53090368)

You need to get the free Audible app from the iTunes store.

Did that. Keeps asking for an audible id which I don't have.

"To use the file ____________ you must authorize this computer for your Audible account."

skoenig 09-09-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymsock (Post 53090346)

Thanks...

I got the pricing AFTER I had signed out... amazing huh? Having signed in to grab the free Whispersynch offers earlier... guess the pricing can depend on who's looking then.

gymsock 09-09-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheapForMe (Post 53092048)
Did that. Keeps asking for an audible id which I don't have.

"To use the file ____________ you must authorize this computer for your Audible account."

Here you go. Found your answer. It's asking for your Audible username and password you used to purchase the Audible title

Authorizing a Computer [custhelp.com]

z531 09-10-2012 02:10 PM

I just got charged $24.95 for "Four-Day Planet" on the last step, *after* the confirmation page showed $0 total. I even went back in my browser history and it showed $0 in the cart. "The Cosmic Computer" showed up as $24.95 also but that was before I confirmed the order and I was able to remove it.
Had to call in to get a refund, and they issued an additional $24.95 credit, but still a PITA!!

gymsock 09-10-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z531 (Post 53110536)
I just got charged $24.95 for "Four-Day Planet" on the last step, *after* the confirmation page showed $0 total. I even went back in my browser history and it showed $0 in the cart. "The Cosmic Computer" showed up as $24.95 also but that was before I confirmed the order and I was able to remove it.
Had to call in to get a refund, and they issued an additional $24.95 credit, but still a PITA!!

Thanks for the heads up. Audible may be catching up with us or these deals are just expiring. I made note of the ones you mentioned in my original post.

For others: Make sure the audiobook is still free before you place the order!

sk8er 09-10-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymsock (Post 53110978)
Thanks for the heads up. Audible may be catching up with us or these deals are just expiring. I made note of the ones you mentioned in my original post.

Oh, well Audible is Amazon so that should explain it. ;)

Thanks for the heads up!

xtreme23 09-10-2012 08:14 PM

thanks for this. cant wait to hear the books

LondonsCalling 09-10-2012 10:08 PM

Thanks.

ChrisRL 09-11-2012 10:02 AM

This is great. Thanks!

hollowpockets 09-11-2012 02:35 PM

Killing Floor is pretty good so far. Dick (Narrator) is a local guy for me as well, so its cool to hear his work.

Thanks OP.

saturnine23 09-11-2012 09:36 PM

Awesome! Been meaning to read The Time Traveler's Wife. Thanks! Thumbed and repped.

gymsock 09-11-2012 10:35 PM

I tested out the Wispersync yesterday with my iPod and Kindle and it works pretty good. I had never used it before. It's not explained on Amazon in great detail but to make it work you have have to have wireless "on" when you are exiting the book or it won't sync with your other device. By the same token, when you switch to the other device you have to have wireless "on" also and it asks you if you want to sync. If I didn't have wireless "on" on my Kindle, it didn't match up to where I was when I stopped listening to the audiobook on my iPod. Or if I just exited really quick it seemed to have a problem syncing. Maybe it's just me, but at least that' s how it worked for me.

canadial 09-15-2012 02:26 AM

I'm new to audible.com and figured some others may be as well.

Here are a couple of earlier posts that are still available for $0.00

from thinkmonk
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz [audible.com]

from belarus
The End of the Affair [audible.com]

aphid5 09-15-2012 04:00 AM

Thank you. Grabbed The End of the Affair

gymsock 09-15-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadial (Post 53229828)
I'm new to audible.com and figured some others may be as well.

Here are a couple of earlier posts that are still available for $0.00

from thinkmonk
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz [audible.com]

from belarus
The End of the Affair [audible.com]

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is already in the other SD "Classics" post:
SD Free Classics eBook & Audiobooks <--30+ Classics (most Wispersync compatible)

I added The End of the Affair [audible.com] to the original post in this thread. Thanks again.

gymsock 09-16-2012 01:11 AM

9/16 --New Free Audiobook--Added to original post:

The Conservative Nanny State: How the Wealthy Use the Government to Stay Rich and Get Richer by Dean Baker (Narrated by Sandra Swafford) Link [audible.com]

cpnfantstk 09-16-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymsock (Post 53247782)
9/16 --New Free Audiobook--Added to original post:

The Conservative Nanny State: How the Wealthy Use the Government to Stay Rich and Get Richer by Dean Baker (Narrated by Sandra Swafford) Link [audible.com]

Thanks for your continued effort to keep us updated on some new offerings.

gymsock 09-17-2012 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpnfantstk (Post 53251562)
Thanks for your continued effort to keep us updated on some new offerings.

Your Welcome! :)

New Free Audiobook 9/17:

The Two by Will Carver (Narrated by Richard Aspel, Nicki Paull) Whispersync for Voice-ready Link [audible.com]

Added this to original post.

UPDATE: :doh:Reviews don't look very good :sorry:

wineaux 09-17-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymsock (Post 53266704)
Your Welcome! :)

New Free Audiobook 9/17:

The Two by Will Carver (Narrated by Richard Aspel, Nicki Paull) Whispersync for Voice-ready Link [audible.com]

Added this to original post.

UPDATE: :doh:Reviews don't look very good :sorry:

Yeah, this one was free when you first put out your two lists, but the reviews were so abysmal, both for the story itself as well as the reading, that I never bothered to post it myself. I have elected to pass on it myself. I do appreciate your continued searching and adding to this list. Thank you very much!

There are a lot of free language learning audio books for just about any language you can think of. How good they are is another story. I'll probably check out the French and Spanish learning audio books sometime soon as my son goes to an immersive foreign language school, and I'd like to be able to keep up with him a little... LOL There are also lots of speeches and the like from CSPAN, Congress, etc. It just depends upon what you're interested in.

wineaux 09-17-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymsock (Post 53090346)

This is back to being free, but read the reviews before you download... It looks like a real stinker. Both as a novel, as well as the reading. Ewww... :vomit:

gymsock 09-17-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wineaux (Post 53280156)
Yeah, this one was free when you first put out your two lists, but the reviews were so abysmal, both for the story itself as well as the reading, that I never bothered to post it myself. I have elected to pass on it myself. I do appreciate your continued searching and adding to this list. Thank you very much!

Yeah, :O I know I did see "The Two" back when, but skipped over it because it didn't sound very good. But I guess I'm kind of trying to keep this thread and the other "classics" one somewhat alive so some people who may have missed seeing the original offerings will still be able to take advantage of them. Hope Audible offers something new soon that's good.

wineaux 09-18-2012 09:17 PM

Free Audio Book 9/18

The Story of Miss Moppet by Beatrix Potter [audible.com]

While this one isn't very long at all, 2 mins even though the description says 1 min, it's an enhanced audio book with pictures, and is a wonderful addition to your audio book library if you have young children.

Oh, and ignore the review by the woman from Alabama who is dumber than a sack of rocks.

wineaux 09-20-2012 09:21 AM

The Dresden Files series of books (Vampire hunter story line.) are drastically reduced on Audible if you own the Kindle versions. Unfortunately the Kindle versions aren't on sale right now. :( It's still an incredible deal IF you like the author and book series, as the audiobooks are normally $35-40 on Audible. However, if you buy the Kindle books for $9.95 each, then you can get the corresponding audiobook for only $4.95! There are 15 books in this series I believe. So, $15 nets you both the eBook and the audiobook, which as a percentage discount would normally qualify for a REALLY hot deal on SD. I think we're a bit spoiled now since your two threads though... LOL

Dresden Files Series [amazon.com]
Dresden Files Series [audible.com]

I'd like to point out, that it seems that as of right now, if you purchase ANY Kindle Whispersync book, you can get a massive discount on the corresponding audiobook on Audible. The trick of course is finding Kindle versions that are as close to free as possible where the audiobook is also as close to free as possible. However, if you really do want the audiobook and enjoy listening to them while commuting, exercising, working, working around the house, etc then buying the Kindle Whispersync version with its corresponding audiobook on Audible is always a lot cheaper than just buying the audiobook, and sometimes is only a fraction of the cost. You're going to save at least 50% of the cost of buying just the audiobook, and it can easily get to the 70-90% off range on many books. My suggestion is to go to the Audible website, use Advanced Search, choose nothing else but checking the Whispersync box at the very bottom, and then clicking SEARCH. That will give you all of the current Whispersync enabled audiobooks that they currently carry. Now just scroll though them. If you see an audiobook that interests you, just click on it and it will tell you how much you can buy the audiobook for if you already own the Whispersync Kindle edition. There is a link in that text that will take you to the Kindle version so you can check out its price. Of note: If the book you are looking at is a Classic and in the public domain then it would behoove you to look at all of the less expensive Kindle versions to see if there is a cheaper, or free version that is also Whispersync compatible. Think of this as a treasure hunt. :D

wineaux 10-02-2012 07:49 AM

Get Duty, Honor, Country, A Novel from West Point to The Civil War [Kindle Edition] [amazon.com] for free today, and

Get the audiobook for $1.99 from Audible! [audible.com]