Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Nokia Lumia 710 4G Windows 7 Unlocked Smartphone (White or Black) $159 + Free shipping (http://slickdeals.net/f/5411872-nokia-lumia-710-4g-windows-7-unlocked-smartphone-white-or-black-159-free-shipping)

pingu 10-31-2012 10:06 AM

Nokia Lumia 710 4G Windows 7 Unlocked Smartphone (White or Black) $159 + Free shipping

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-n...0-4g-phone

$159 for Nokia Lumia 710 4G Windows Smartphone (T-Mobile Unlocked) in Black or White ($299.99 List Price)

Pretty good deal for a backup phone. Seems like the phone is new.

iconian 10-31-2012 10:06 AM

Nokia Lumia 710 4G Windows 7 Unlocked Smartphone (White or Black) $159 + Free shipping

1 Attachment(s)
Groupon has Nokia Lumia 710 4G Windows 7 Unlocked Smartphone for $159 + free shipping. Thanks technoman74

Hands on review courtesy of Engadget

wikipost 10-31-2012 10:06 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

The deal is still On as of November 3rd.

What is the condition of the phone? is it new, refurbished or used?
Pubudu S. asked 3 hours and 30 minutes ago - 1 answer

This is a new phone that has been unlocked for use on any GSM carrier.
George S. answered 30 minutes ago

A big plus on Nokia Windows Phone phones is the bundling of Nokia Drive.
It's a Navteq map powered navigation program that has maps from all over the world and allows maps to be downloaded to the phone. No monthly fee is required.
Nokia has full offline maps, so no data plan required for navigation or using maps.

The only think that was unclear about this deal is about Groupon policy;

Are Groupon Goods products covered by a warranty?

Groupon answered my question:
So, Phone is covered by 1 year manufacturer's warranty.

leo037 10-31-2012 10:13 AM

unless its $40 or less dont buy this piece of crap..

washyou 10-31-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leo037 (Post 54351474)
unless its $40 or less dont buy this piece of crap..

It's not that bad.

Lopportunity 10-31-2012 10:15 AM

Windows phones are dirt cheap, when most people pay a subsidized price.

Windows tablets are sky high expensive, when most people pay full price.

That's Microsoft logic.

viswaa88 10-31-2012 10:24 AM

Is it worth going for?

leo037 10-31-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by washyou (Post 54351510)
It's not that bad.

lol they were giving out windows phone 7 for free (with trade) and you want this for $160? the windows phone 8 are coming out and 7.8 upgrades may not be released on this device. so you'll be stuck in this tester windows phones.

travfar 10-31-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lopportunity (Post 54351534)
Windows phones are dirt cheap, when most people pay a subsidized price.

Windows tablets are sky high expensive, when most people pay full price.

That's Microsoft logic.

And Apple does the same. So what's you point?

leo037 10-31-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viswaa88 (Post 54351804)
Is it worth going for?

definitely NO.

jimx200 10-31-2012 10:26 AM

Phone looks to get decent reviews and that it's unlocked makes it more attractive. But there are lots of better choices available in the sub $200. level. The Samsung Exhibit II (now called the 4G) is a solid phone from T-Mo and can be found on sale at $180. or less and recently T-Mo had these for that price including a $50. card. Btw, T-Mo will unlock after 90 days or get a cheap unlock via eBay.

T-Mo deal is on with the $50. plan included:http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.co...4G-Prepaid

TeflonDon 10-31-2012 10:27 AM

throw in another 140 and get an 8gb nexus 4 - or at least get a cheap win phone 8 so you're on NT kernel

or at least wait until the possible galaxy nexus firesale some are hoping for

euwil 10-31-2012 10:28 AM

done.

kudosdeals 10-31-2012 10:29 AM

good price for the specs and phone...

mparekh 10-31-2012 10:32 AM

I have been using a Lumia 710 for almost a year now, and really like it. At this price, its a pretty good backup phone

buzzman 10-31-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euwil (Post 54351938)
Yes it is. It's a dead OS, no more app developement and limited MS support.

$40 would be a reasonable price at this point. Anything over $100 is just laughable.

What's dead? Windows phone? Or just version 7? I can't imagine Microsoft already pulled the plug on the entire Windows phone.

geheimnisvoll 10-31-2012 10:40 AM

can probably get a galaxy nexus for this much in 2 weeks once the nexus 4 is live.

RPdeals26 10-31-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzman (Post 54352268)
What's dead? Windows phone? Or just version 7? I can't imagine Microsoft already pulled the plug on the entire Windows phone.

They didn't, but Windows Phone 7 is completely different than Windows Phone 8. Nothing is compatible with the other. Very ironic since Nokia's commercials for the Lumias running Windows Phone 7 proclaimed the beta test was over with WP7 when a year later all the phones are obsolete and the operating system is done.

sheltem 10-31-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzman (Post 54352268)

New apps built for Windows Phone 8 will not be backwards compatible with Windows Phone 7x devices.

Meinheim 10-31-2012 10:50 AM

2 questions:

1) Does groupon charge sales tax?
2) With the Tmobile Lumia 820 coming out 11/14 will these drop in price? Currently $250 with $50 calling card on Tmobile site.

Processing... 10-31-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travfar (Post 54351880)
And Apple does the same. So what's you point?

nah, Apple goes for "sky high expensive" regardless of subsidy...

sukru 10-31-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheltem (Post 54352504)
New apps built for Windows Phone 8 will not be backwards compatible with Windows Phone 7x devices.

Technically they can be, I don't think many developers will choose that option, especially for games.

DCBurnquist 10-31-2012 10:57 AM

I don't get all the hate. I've had this phone for a long time now and I actually consider it the best I've had...and I've had everything but an iPhone, as the cost is just pointless in my eyes. Windows Phone is simple and smooth, with rarely ever any hiccups. Unless you're heavy into phone gaming, or for some reason want extreme productivity on your phone, this phone is perfect. I love it for easy internet access, email, and some pretty awesome Nokia exclusives. I think this price is excellent. Phones off-contract are rarely this low and this is a great device.

The_Linux_Crew 10-31-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leo037 (Post 54351872)
lol they were giving out windows phone 7 for free (with trade) and you want this for $160? the windows phone 8 are coming out and 7.8 upgrades may not be released on this device. so you'll be stuck in this tester windows phones.

Were they giving out free phones with contract or free of contract? Contracts are never a good deal, but if it is free of contract, I'd love to get a Windows 8 phone if they end up offering the same deal.

cryospartan 10-31-2012 11:07 AM

The Lumia is great for those with either the grandfathered tzones, web2go or $5 unlimited internet preferred loyalty plan. 4G speeds work well and free internet sharing is a nice bonus without having to root or jailbreak. Camera is just ok and has limited features but for most will do the job. For those saying that windows 8 phones are around the corner...for some... price does matter and spending the same amount of money for a phone as they can spend for a laptop or nice tablet does not make sense.

RPdeals26 10-31-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Linux_Crew (Post 54352850)
Were they giving out free phones with contract or free of contract? Contracts are never a good deal, but if it is free of contract, I'd love to get a Windows 8 phone if they end up offering the same deal.

Free with no contract. I got a Samsung Focus S for trading in an old Blackberry. I was hoping it would replace my iPhone 3GS but after using it for a little while, I went back to the slower iPhone for the things WP7 just couldn't do. Limited apps, the web browser displayed a lot of sites wrong, nice but slow camera, horrible PDF support until a couple months ago. It was fast, had a desktop setting for web pages which was nice, and I liked how it seemed to enlarge text on web pages making them easy to read.

buzzman 10-31-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Linux_Crew (Post 54352850)

He neglected mentioning the detail.

This phone was given out for free (with no contract) for a very limited time when Microsoft had that phone challenge. Many people, including me, got the deal, but most people had to wait in line for quite a long time.

The_Linux_Crew 10-31-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPdeals26 (Post 54353064)
Free with no contract. I got a Samsung Focus S for trading in an old Blackberry. I was hoping it would replace my iPhone 3GS but after using it for a little while, I went back to the slower iPhone for the things WP7 just couldn't do. Limited apps, the web browser displayed a lot of sites wrong, nice but slow camera, horrible PDF support until a couple months ago. It was fast, had a desktop setting for web pages which was nice, and I liked how it seemed to enlarge text on web pages making them easy to read.

Fantastic. They just opened a MS store in my city. I think I remember seeing a discussion about the last one, but it was only in Cali.

RPdeals26 10-31-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzman (Post 54353116)
He neglected mentioning the detail.

This phone was given out for free (with no contract) for a very limited time when Microsoft had that phone challenge. Many people, including me, got the deal, but most people had to wait in line for quite a long time.

Yes, the line did get very long. Thankfully I was there the first day and only had to wait about 15 minutes. I'm sure any future events if they decide to do this again will be packed from the start.

Mzoomora 10-31-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPdeals26 (Post 54353194)
Yes, the line did get very long. Thankfully I was there the first day and only had to wait about 15 minutes. I'm sure any future events if they decide to do this again will be packed from the start.

I got 2 Radars, no line at all. I actually like the OS- fast, smooth, easy. It does lack the abundance of apps, some secure web pages wont work, and some other hiccups, but good overall. Prefer Android.

jmor 10-31-2012 11:23 AM

You can get these for about $100 now on Craigslist. Not a good deal.

doema 10-31-2012 11:25 AM

would be great price at $99

New_World 10-31-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCBurnquist (Post 54352708)
I don't get all the hate. I've had this phone for a long time now and I actually consider it the best I've had...and I've had everything but an iPhone, as the cost is just pointless in my eyes. Windows Phone is simple and smooth, with rarely ever any hiccups. Unless you're heavy into phone gaming, or for some reason want extreme productivity on your phone, this phone is perfect. I love it for easy internet access, email, and some pretty awesome Nokia exclusives. I think this price is excellent. Phones off-contract are rarely this low and this is a great device.

+1.

----------------------------------------------MICROSOFT VS APPLE------------------------------------------
I'm running a windows phone as well.
it starts up fast....everything is pretty much instant.
usually the people who hate on windows phones haven't used them enough to have an opinion.
I understand the rival of microsoft vs apple people.
I think that apple makes great stuff and the iphone is great...and I also think that the windows phone 7 OS is great.
But I also think that apples products are overpriced....some MUCH more than others.
Why are they overpriced? Because people WILL pay for it...a lot of people.

that being said new phones are about to come out. (windows 8 phones)
when a new phone comes out.... the older phones drop in value....that just how technology is.
I'd wait til after windows 8 phones come out and then get this if this is the phone you want.
they will be much cheaper then.
that being said I don't have plans on replacing my windows phone with a windows 8 phone.
I think the OS is great and the 7.8 update is a bonus.

My phone does everything I need it to do and more...and it does it very efficiently.

-Sent from my windows phone

The_Linux_Crew 10-31-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New_World (Post 54353488)
+1.

I'm running a windows phone and well.
it starts up fast....everything is pretty much instant.
usually the people who hate on windows phones haven't used them enough to have an opinion.
I understand the rival of microsoft vs apple people.
I think that apple makes great stuff and the iphone is great...and I also think that the windows phone 7 OS is great.
But I also think that apples products are overpriced....some MUCH more than others.
Why are they overpriced? Because people WILL pay for it.

that being said new phones are about to come out. (windows 8 phones)
when a new phone comes out.... the older phones drop in value....that just how technology is.

I'd wait til after windows 8 phones come out and then get this if this is the phone you want.
they will be much cheaper then.

that being said I don't have plans on replacing my windows phone with a windows 8 phone.
I think the OS is great and the 7.8 update is a bonus.

My phone does everything I need it to do and more...and it does it very efficiently.

I also imagine that Cowboom will get swamped with W7 phones as people upgrade.

cgough 10-31-2012 11:32 AM

Fail

Quote:

Originally Posted by sukru (Post 54352584)
Technically they can be, I don't think many developers will choose that option, especially for games.

The 7.1 apps will run on Phone 8 but there will be no backwards compatibility for Phone 8 apps for 7.1. I would say technically No.

Don't waste your money.

dvdgry84 10-31-2012 11:35 AM

This phone sucks. I tried it out, but then i heard you cannot update to windows phone 8. So i sold it.

sukru 10-31-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgough (Post 54353648)
The 7.1 apps will run on Phone 8 but there will be no backwards compatibility for Phone 8 apps for 7.1. I would say technically No.

Don't waste your money.

This is directly from their SDK download page (emphasis added):

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/do...1#overview
Quote:

The Windows Phone Software Development Kit (SDK) 8.0 provides you with the tools that you need to develop apps and games for Windows Phone 8 and Windows Phone 7.5.
Of course neither C++ nor native code will work for 7.5. This pretty much kills it for most game development.

Dranon 10-31-2012 11:43 AM

I need to ask why so many of you think contracts suck?? Do you really switch carriers that often? Also the monthly price is the same wether you have a contract or not! So why not let them subsidise the caost of the phone for a 2 year commitment?? Even if you want aanother phone in a year or even 6 months are you going to switch carriers??

haroldminer 10-31-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmor (Post 54353398)
You can get these for about $100 now on Craigslist. Not a good deal.

Please explain how someone's second hand phone off craiglist is anywhere comparable to new from a retailer?

liquid_celica 10-31-2012 11:44 AM

"I loved how the phone feels and it was smooth and works better than the iphone but when i heard it won't get win8...it's trash!!"

what kind of garbage is that? Seriously, its not that bad of a phone. I have a HTC radar that I got during the microsoft challenge and it doesn't just about everything better than my samsung galaxy. The only problem, albeit a major one, is the lack of apps. Even foursquare and facebook is better designed on Win7 than Androids.

sukru 10-31-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dranon (Post 54353988)
I need to ask why so many of you think contracts suck?? Do you really switch carriers that often? Also the monthly price is the same wether you have a contract or not! So why not let them subsidise the caost of the phone for a 2 year commitment?? Even if you want aanother phone in a year or even 6 months are you going to switch carriers??

You can always find cheaper plans without contract. T-Mobile has value plans, and for Sprint there are prepaid vmos - like Virgin Mobile.

haroldminer 10-31-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Because the monthly price is not the same.

tenacity 10-31-2012 11:46 AM

This is a good deal.

nixforfun 10-31-2012 11:46 AM

Would you get 15% CB with Shopdiscover on this making it even cheaper??

jmor 10-31-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haroldminer (Post 54354036)
Please explain how someone's second hand phone off craiglist is anywhere comparable to new from a retailer?

if the phone is in good condition, it's basically the same thing as having it new. or are you one of those people who actually buys brand new cars?

oracledude 10-31-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

and don't forget that you can get mugged in the process..

wong3541 10-31-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmor (Post 54354134)
if the phone is in good condition, it's basically the same thing as having it new. or are you one of those people who actually buys brand new cars?

Without people who buy brand new cars, how would you buy a used car? :confused:

bdb 10-31-2012 11:55 AM

No microSD slot, so you're stuck with 8GB. :(

jmor 10-31-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wong3541 (Post 54354238)
Without people who buy brand new cars, how would you buy a used car? :confused:

Exactly. We let the dummies buy the new cars and eat the depreciation, and we save when we buy used

rguptan 10-31-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimx200 (Post 54351894)
Phone looks to get decent reviews and that it's unlocked makes it more attractive. But there are lots of better choices available in the sub $200. level. The Samsung Exhibit II (now called the 4G) is a solid phone from T-Mo and can be found on sale at $180. or less and recently T-Mo had these for that price including a $50. card. Btw, T-Mo will unlock after 90 days or get a cheap unlock via eBay.

T-Mo deal is on with the $50. plan included:http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.co...4G-Prepaid

To work smoothly Android needs at least 1 GHz dual core with no bulky skin on top. Lumia 700 is any day better than Samsung Exhibit II!

max1001 10-31-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geheimnisvoll (Post 54352288)
can probably get a galaxy nexus for this much in 2 weeks once the nexus 4 is live.

They are already going for that price on CL.

haroldminer 10-31-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Except that there is no warranty.

Time is money. 1) you have to find someone on craiglist, 2) negotiate, 3) drive to get it.

All to save a few bucks...maybe.

jmor 10-31-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haroldminer (Post 54354476)
Except that there is no warranty.

Time is money. 1) you have to find someone on craiglist, 2) negotiate, 3) drive to get it.

All to save a few bucks...maybe.

people use warranty..? i bought my htc radar for $100 on craigslist during the summer. looks and works great.

Ivelweyz 10-31-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by washyou (Post 54351510)
It's not that bad.

It's nowhere near bad. It's a good phone. Just ignore the ignorant trolls.

haroldminer 10-31-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmor (Post 54354498)
people use warranty..? i bought my htc radar for $100 on craigslist during the summer. looks and works great.

Congratulations. Do you want some sort of special award?

Technosquid 10-31-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdb (Post 54354318)
No microSD slot, so you're stuck with 8GB. :(

Fosho. As a T-Mobile customer, that's always been the deal-breaker for me with this phone and the HTC Radar 4G. This month I was in the position to replace a dead Dell Venue Pro, and ended up going with an HTC HD7, even though it was a first-get WP7 handset. Neither the Dell Venue Pro nor the HD7 are technically supposed to have user-upgradable storage, but the both have a hidden SD card slot. I do not believe the same can be said of the WP7.5-generation handsets Radar 4G or Nokia Lumia 710.

I appreciate they want to squeeze every last bit out of their margins, but I wish they'd stop skimping on storage when the phone doesn't have a card slot. I'd love to see the difference in sales between the Samsung Focus (8GB + card slot up to 64GB) and the Samsung Focus Flash or Focus 2 (8GB, no card slot.)

haroldminer 10-31-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Why would I want to drive some old beater? Also, some of use prefer not to drive all over town to buy someone's used crapfest just to save a few bucks.

Do you make single-ply from your double-ply as well?

jmor 10-31-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haroldminer (Post 54354646)
Congratulations. Do you want some sort of special award?

Just proving to you that buying new is a waste of money.

Meinheim 10-31-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rguptan (Post 54354382)
To work smoothly Android needs at least 1 GHz dual core with no bulky skin on top. Lumia 700 is any day better than Samsung Exhibit II!

I'll second that. I bought and returned an Exhibit II from Tmobile. Very laggy.:mad:

haroldminer 10-31-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmor (Post 54354680)
Just proving to you that buying new is a waste of money.

A lease is often more economical than buying used.

At this point in my life I'd buy what I want rather than buy the best deal.

jmor 10-31-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haroldminer (Post 54354678)
Why would I want to drive some old beater? Also, some of use prefer not to drive all over town to buy someone's used crapfest just to save a few bucks.

Do you make single-ply from your double-ply as well?

So I go out right now and buy a 2011 Honda Accord for 5k less, it's going to be a crapfest because someone drove it for one year? I have news for you, you're on the wrong deal website.

How does that even make sense?

XDecker 10-31-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Linux_Crew (Post 54353608)
I also imagine that Cowboom will get swamped with W7 phones as people upgrade.

Yup, as in upgrade to an iOS device </troll>

geewally 10-31-2012 12:21 PM

My wife and I are on T-mobile value plan with our sons. We don't have data, they do. We just want decent phones that also do wi-fi.
T-mobile has the Prism for $149 with $50 prepaid card included. We could sell the prepaid cards and get this phone for just over $100. Is the Prism a decent phone for calls/text/wi-fi? If I buy two, will they ship two $50 cards? Any other suggestions for decent phone with wi-fi?

microkelvin 10-31-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

where? it's no longer existed. why even bother? i want a free windows phone 7 for free (with trade) now. can i get it?

haroldminer 10-31-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmor (Post 54354810)
So I go out right now and buy a 2011 Honda Accord for 5k less, it's going to be a crapfest because someone drove it for one year? I have news for you, you're on the wrong deal website.

How does that even make sense?

You can do your own depreciation schedule with maintenance costs. A lease also has the savings associated with sales tax.

I hope that at some point in your life you are able to chose what to buy because the item is best rather than simply it being the best price.

euwil 10-31-2012 12:29 PM

done.

fyu 10-31-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haroldminer (Post 54355116)
You can do your own depreciation schedule with maintenance costs. A lease also has the savings associated with sales tax.

I hope that at some point in your life you are able to chose what to buy because the item is best rather than simply it being the best price.

i guess you haven't reached that point yet, either.

haroldminer 10-31-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geewally (Post 54354924)
My wife and I are on T-mobile value plan with our sons. We don't have data, they do. We just want decent phones that also do wi-fi.
T-mobile has the Prism for $149 with $50 prepaid card included. We could sell the prepaid cards and get this phone for just over $100. Is the Prism a decent phone for calls/text/wi-fi? If I buy two, will they ship two $50 cards? Any other suggestions for decent phone with wi-fi?

This is a good phone, it works very well.

If you buy it off contract then isn't data included?

max1001 10-31-2012 12:30 PM

WP is good for people who don't want a smartphone but still want rich features. It's simple enough for grandmas.

fyu 10-31-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euwil (Post 54355124)
If you do it right, you can get at least $2k off msrp. That's only 3k difference for a brand new guaranteed un-abused car. Peace of mind and convenience is expensive, it's not like you're paying a premium for nothing when buying new.

msrp? lol.

haroldminer 10-31-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu (Post 54355150)
i guess you haven't reached that point yet, either.

I'm slowly getting there.

I bought a Nokia 800 off craigslist and it was a bit of a pain. A 710 without any effort, new is a good deal.

haroldminer 10-31-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euwil (Post 54355124)
If you do it right, you can get at least $2k off msrp. That's only 3k difference for a brand new guaranteed un-abused car. Peace of mind and convenience is expensive, it's not like you're paying a premium for nothing when buying new.

BTW: finding a young used car without problems is NOT easy, and often the price of the car is very high. I have never seen a 1 year old accord for $5k less than a new accord. More like 2k, 3k MAX.

Paying 2 or 3K less for a 1 year old car is not a good deal. That means that the first year had depreciation of 167 a month. Great deal for the original purchaser.

jimx200 10-31-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

I had and it worked great..loved the hotspot feature and it's ability to use VOIP apps. Does Nokia have these options?

This shows the Nokia to have the SAME processor as the Nokia, so your theory is out the window (so to speak).

http://smartphones.venturebeat.co...ibit-II-4G

geewally 10-31-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haroldminer (Post 54355152)

I don't think so. It's in their "no annual contract" section. It's just a phone that can be used on pre-paid I think. Could be wrong.

haroldminer 10-31-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimx200 (Post 54355322)
I had and it worked great..loved the hotspot feature and it's ability to use VOIP apps. Does Nokia have these options?

This shows the Nokia to have the SAME processor as the Nokia, so your theory is out the window (so to speak).

http://smartphones.venturebeat.co...ibit-II-4G

Hotspot = yes
Skype = yes

The speed of a device is not based solely upon its processor. In case it was, per your link, the 710 has a 1.4 ghz processor versus 1.0 ghz for the samsung.

max1001 10-31-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Nope. It's the ram, not the cpu. 1ghz single core with 1 gb ram will run android butter smooth. You can't play games on it but OS will run smooth.

h.lin3 10-31-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leo037 (Post 54351882)
definitely NO.

It's not a bad phone but I'll have to agree with him. Marketplace is limited and update to 7.8 is up in the air and W8 phones are coming out. It just doesn't make sense to burn $160 for this phone even if it's brand new.

jimx200 10-31-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geewally (Post 54354924)

The Prism is a good/decent Android that has good call quality, and when on wifi, will allow you to browse the web, watch youtube, stream radio,, etc. If you don't like the text feature, there are many free ones to chose from in the Google play store (get a google email acct. to access). Yes, each phone ships with a $50. PIN card and you can sell them if you like which will give you a inexpensive way to get a smartphone.

doema 10-31-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

plus Android 4.0 is preferable as a starting point. i find that dual-core with 2.2 or 2.3 is still a very clunk experience. i personally wished google came out with ICS sooner with the proper hardware. lot of 1st time android users who didn't get to experience the smoother experience of ICS jumped ship to other platforms and didn't look back.

geewally 10-31-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haroldminer (Post 54355152)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimx200 (Post 54356006)
The Prism is a good/decent Android that has good call quality, and when on wifi, will allow you to browse the web, watch youtube, stream radio,, etc. If you don't like the text feature, there are many free ones to chose from in the Google play store (get a google email acct. to access). Yes, each phone ships with a $50. PIN card and you can sell them if you like which will give you a inexpensive way to get a smartphone.

Thanks. Ordered two.

batrad 10-31-2012 01:16 PM

Windows Phone 7.x is a DEAD OS

Technosquid 10-31-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimx200 (Post 54355322)

Windows Phone 7 = Worst platform for Skype.
Windows Phone 8 = Best platform for Skype.

In WP7, as soon as you close the app you're disconnected from Skype. WP8 allows VOIP apps to run in the background and appear as a regular call.

fireserphant 10-31-2012 01:23 PM

The phone is fantastic. I've owned mine for about 6 months now and absolutely love it. It's silky smooth on Mango, and has a pretty good app catalog to support it (everything I want, and new apps from popular companies are coming out more and more frequently). The screen on this phone is amazing (non-pentile) and is extremely bright, but I think that does work to kill the battery a bit quicker. Camera is okay. Looking forward to WP7.8!

With that said, I'd suggest waiting until WP8 phones get released. I think for $160, the price is still too high compared to what you can get it for elsewhere, and what the price might be in a few weeks. I got mine off CL (slightly used) for $150 6 months ago...and I think prices will go down. Plus, you don't know what deals the carriers will run with MSFT for contract deals if you don't mind getting on contract.

Also, as someone mentioned earlier, my grandfathered $6 t-zones lets me have unlimited HSPA (realistically get around 5Mbps) and I get Internet Sharing (very very nice feature, makes DMV and airport trips more productive). I don't know if these features will work on the future WP8 phones like the HTC 8X or the Lumia 810, since the list appears to be somewhat random with Tmobile.

jmor 10-31-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosquid (Post 54356502)

In WP7, as soon as you close the app you're disconnected from Skype. WP8 allows VOIP apps to run in the background and appear as a regular call.

Awesome news. I love using Skype for unlimited talk. It sucks so bad on WP though. Going to switch to the Nexus 4, until I can get a Lumia 920 or better.

Rakocool 10-31-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Is it worth going for?

Go for it. It is really good backup phone if you have high end phone or low end smart phone with great price. It offers Full GPS Navigation with offline maps. GPS can be used in 100+ countries. Software will be upgraded to Windows Phone 7.8.

Full Disclosure: I currently own Nokia Lumia 900 and will plan to update to 920 when I am eligible for upgrade and keep 900 as backup incase i loose it.

Technosquid 10-31-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microkelvin (Post 54354956)
where? it's no longer existed. why even bother? i want a free windows phone 7 for free (with trade) now. can i get it?

Microsoft stores were running a promotion, "Smoked by Windows Phone Challenge" You, with your non-Windows-Phone smartphone and a Microsoft Store employee with a Windows Phone would race to see who completed a common smartphone task. If you won, you got something like $1000 or a new ultrabook laptop. If you lost, you got to trade your phone for a new Windows Phone. Nokia Lumia 800 and 900 were excluded.

It seriously depressed the craigslist aftersale market of these phones in cities with a Microsoft Store. Higher-end phones like the Samsung Focus S, HTC Titan and Titan II were going brand new for about $200, so used phones were going even lower. This was several months ago, so even though the market has normalized, prices of these handsets have come down even more.

Still, it's always (not) entertaining to see a slickdeals user poke in a Windows Phone deal thread and say YOU GUYS ARE ALL STUPID, I GOT THIS FOR FREEEE!!

Rakocool 10-31-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batrad (Post 54356456)
Windows Phone 7.x is a DEAD OS

Name one Apple or Android OS phone with similar price range with Android 4.0 or ios 6. For the price and quility of WP7 this is hands down best bang for your buck.

cgough 10-31-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sukru (Post 54353848)

Of course neither C++ nor native code will work for 7.5. This pretty much kills it for most game development.

Dude that's just a unified development platform. That does not make the phone 8.x applications they produce backwards compatible. 8.x applications will not run on 7.x. Try it yourself. show us what a Windows phone bad @ss you are....

Technosquid 10-31-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakocool (Post 54356838)
Name one Apple or Android OS phone with similar price range with Android 4.0 or ios 6. For the price and quility of WP7 this is hands down best bang for your buck.

You could put Windows Phone 7.8 (leaked build) and Android 4.1+ on an HTC HD2, and you can find them used in nice condition for under $120. Just sayin!!

I wouldn't dare the guy to find a $160 new android phone... I'm thinking it's possible. I mean, there are unbranded chinese android 4.0 phones on ebay for under $90.

1stwinter 10-31-2012 01:37 PM

Windows phones are good phones. Software-wise it's smoother than android. Unless you are phone gamer, windows phone is a fine choice.

Rakocool 10-31-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosquid (Post 54357030)
You could put Windows Phone 7.8 (leaked build) and Android 4.1+ on an HTC HD2, and you can find them used in nice condition for under $120. Just sayin!!

I wouldn't dare the guy to find a $160 new android phone... I'm thinking it's possible. I mean, there are unbranded chinese android 4.0 phones on ebay for under $90.

I agree you can always find crappy hardware, but not by reputable company like Nokia. Also This has Nokia Music with offline music. FM Radio. Offline GPS.

sunspotzsz 10-31-2012 01:40 PM

Can I use this overseas?

I am visiting Asia? Can I use it in countries like China?

Thanks.

haroldminer 10-31-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

If using prepaid and a plan on Simple, Tmobile, or Straight Talk, aren't minutes unlimited?

Curious as I've never even though of using my phone for Skype.

lamj817 10-31-2012 01:42 PM

15% off with shopdiscover!

Technosquid 10-31-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakocool (Post 54357110)
I agree you can always find crappy hardware, but not by reputable company like Nokia. Also This has Nokia Music with offline music. FM Radio. Offline GPS.

I'm a Nokia fan, but I'm not sure they offer anything that you can't find in an Android app. Nokia Maps / Drive may be the only exception, but if you're willing to go online for your maps, google maps are better.

jjmai 10-31-2012 01:46 PM

I just recently started using WP7.5, having used Android and iOS in the past years.
WP7.5 just doesn't feel mature enough.
  • The web browser selection is very limited. IE feels quite outdated (no find on page, no favorites sorting, difficult to change tabs).
  • Volume control is tied between ringtone and headphone.
  • Zune interface is as annoying as iTune. And no way to download full resolution photos without Zune on desktop.
  • Live Tile not customizable enough.
  • And of course, not enough apps. no Google voice, Hulu+, Pandora (yet)...
  • Can't change keyboard (no Swype).

jmor 10-31-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunspotzsz (Post 54357118)
Can I use this overseas?

Thanks.

Nope, you're locked to one carrier that supports a backwards technology so you cant use it with other networks.

Just kidding, you can do whatever you want with this phone. Except load up Android, because then that would be just.. dumb.

nick_dev 10-31-2012 01:47 PM

I have used Anroid, IPhone, and Windows 7.5 Samsung Focus S. So far in one year my phone had to be restarted only once, not because it froze but because of minor home screen problem. I consider this the best phone I have had, plus people usually ask me what kind of phone is that, maybe because they're tired of seeing APPLE everywhere and this looks like a novelty. Plus the ZUNE interface is darn sexy in my opinion.

z32tt 10-31-2012 01:48 PM

I can't believe this is on FP.

aero 10-31-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It is nowhere near the same thing, and are you one of "those people" who compared price of a used car to a new car? :shake:

Comparing a cragislist used price to a new price is idiotic. Craigslist always involves labor and often involves fraud, Used items are way less valuable

Technosquid 10-31-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haroldminer (Post 54357152)
If using prepaid and a plan on Simple, Tmobile, or Straight Talk, aren't minutes unlimited?

Curious as I've never even though of using my phone for Skype.

There are various plans. One popular prepaid plan is T-Mobile's Unlimited Web (5GB) & Text with 100 Minutes Talk. That plan is well suited for Skype. I don't know about the MVNO plans, but that's easy to check.

bachak 10-31-2012 01:49 PM

NOT WORTH !

My wife has Windows Phone & it's smooth & fast OS. But NOT good functionalities & apps..

1) Colored tiles like you are a kid
2) Battery percentage - no app
3) Profile manager - no app (e.g. Home, Office, Outdoor profiles where you can set ringtone, ring volume, brightness, wi-fi settings etc.)
4) Auto rotate - Can't control (really?) If you are in bed reading some mails, news etc. for some apps screen will rotate, for others it won't. It's frustating
5) Mainscreen is pretty much tiles - Can't have wallpaper
6) No folders to group apps (Everything you want for quick access must go on that home/tiles page)
7) No child lock - Kids can download/buy from marketplace once you setup account & cc
8) Limited apps & Good apps are mostly priced high.
9) No google maps, google voice, file manager etc. (the list goes on) apps

In short don't buy it.

(Edit - If you are giving gift to Parents then you can buy - WP is easy)

MS is not interested in giving the official date for 7.8 upgrade.. Nobody knows what will be in 7.8..

Better look for used phone like Atrix, Atrix 2 etc. on Ebay or CL even if it doesn't run ICS.
(I had Atrix, there will be lots of other used phones avaialble which are only around 1-1.5 years old)

bluffs 10-31-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunspotzsz (Post 54357118)
Can I use this overseas?

Thanks.

Yes. As long you use GSM network.

junjun26 10-31-2012 01:56 PM

I don't get all the hate either.. :confused: Makes me almost wonder if some of the negative criticism might be from people that have not had first hand experience with the phone.

$159 + Lumia710 + Unlocked = A great deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCBurnquist (Post 54352708)

jmor 10-31-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aero (Post 54357360)
It is nowhere near the same thing, and are you one of "those people" who compared price of a used car to a new car? :shake:

Comparing a cragislist used price to a new price is idiotic. Craigslist always involves labor and often involves fraud, Used items are way less valuable

Who doesn't compare used vs new? If all you do is look at new, that is silly. Most everything in this world can be had used for a significantly lower price than brand new. Used items are less valuable, because they're used? Geez, I thought used items always went for a brand new asking price.

Are you too lazy to use labor and unable to discern fraud when you use it? If Craigslist 'often' involved fraud, no one would be using Craigslist. You sound like you're too afraid to go outside.

juicycook 10-31-2012 01:58 PM

I just picked one of these up to try out WP in general (I'm aware of WP8), but I wouldn't get it unless you absolutely need a phone/backup phone. It's not too bad for older people (my grandmother uses WP), but the apps on here are horrible in comparison to android. About 80% of the apps that I use on a daily basis aren't in the marketplace. Needless to say, it's going back to the store.

seanleeforever 10-31-2012 01:58 PM

this phone will work with your 2.49/5.99/9.99 T mobile web2go unlimited internet. it is worth getting just for that reason.

Technosquid 10-31-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aero (Post 54357360)

:rolleye2: http://youtu.be/3xnZ6g14WwY

Is comparing used craigslist prices to new prices wrong: Yes.

Are used items anywhere near the same thing? Yes.

Craigslist involves labor, but more so for the seller. For the buyer, if you're willing to pay the asking price and punch in a google map and drive a few miles, you get it today! I'm more of an ebay guy, though. See too much over-market-value stuff on CL.

My favorite is "Used items are way less valuable." --Yes, they are... and that's why they cost less. Since value is what people are willing to pay for something -- It's because of people like you who hide under the couch when they hear used, no warranty, craigslist killer!!, people like me get a great deal. So I'd just like to thank you personally.

Lopportunity 10-31-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanleeforever (Post 54357602)
this phone will work with your 2.49/5.99/9.99 T mobile web2go unlimited internet. it is worth getting just for that reason.

I can't believe this still exists. I remember having it years ago and then cancelling it and I can't get it back even though I've been with T-Mobile for over 10 years straight.

ducky2802 10-31-2012 02:04 PM

I dont get the argument "no more app support" on this phone. Is it last years tech? Yes. Will it become a $160 brick the second the new windows comes out? No. It will still be a phone, for making calls. It will still be unlocked, for making calls and using data on any gsm network. Camera will still work. So will the screen. So will the GPS. You may not get the latest apps going forward, but you paid for an unlocked phone, you will receive an unlocked phone, and you can use it as, surprise surprise, an unlocked phone regardless of what windows or android or ios comes out with. Comes with all the functionality of a smartphone out of the box, so you can browse the web, send emails, text, whatever. Is it worth $160? I dont know because I buy $20 att refurb specials for going overseas. But if I needed a smartphone in other countries, I think going rate is $100+.

threeclaws 10-31-2012 02:05 PM

I know it is almost double the price but the nexus 4 kills this, even if wp7 wasn't dead and this phone wasn't obsolete, really if you are looking for a unsubsidized phone the nexus 4 is the solution unless you have a very strict budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Processing... (Post 54352570)
nah, Apple goes for "sky high expensive" regardless of subsidy...

Fanboyism really can blind people to reality.

vmanne 10-31-2012 02:07 PM

Subtotal $159.00
Shipping & Handling $0.00
Taxes $11.13
My Price: $170.13

deal03 10-31-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

I have the standard SIM card, can I just go to T-mobile and exchange it with micro-SIM card and plug into this phone and it will work without any activation or need to pay the swap from T-mobile? I have the web2go and would like to get upgrade to 4G speed for sure.

backup000 10-31-2012 02:10 PM

Ignore those people who can't understand the difference between a defective unit and a bad product. This is one of the best phones I've ever had. I had a chance of exchanging mine with a friend's iphone 4s for $100 and I wouldn't do it. Apps are limited, but they do have all the apps I need, so it's not really a problem for me.

Rakocool 10-31-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threeclaws (Post 54357762)
I know it is almost double the price but the nexus 4 kills this, even if wp7 wasn't dead and this phone wasn't obsolete, really if you are looking for a unsubsidized phone the nexus 4 is the solution unless you have a very strict budget.

Fanboyism really can blind people to reality.

Wouldn't Nexus 4 would kill Galaxy S III for the price and features Nexus offers? I know S III has external removable memory and Nexus does not, but why would someone buy any other Android phone when Nexus is $300 unlocked?

By the way I am still planning to Get Lumia 920.

Firebrand 10-31-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosquid (Post 54357372)
There are various plans. One popular prepaid plan is T-Mobile's Unlimited Web (5GB) & Text with 100 Minutes Talk. That plan is well suited for Skype. I don't know about the MVNO plans, but that's easy to check.

T-Mo plan is great - unlimited web and text, and 100 minutes, for just $35/month. Coupled with this phone for $160, with its really sweet OS, 4G and Nokia Drive turn-by-turn directions with offline maps - now that's one hell of a slick deal.

That's $1000 for 2 years' use. How much are you going to pay for 2 years' use of your shiny new iPhone 5/WP8/Android phone??

And if you decide later your just have to upgrade because you can't live without wireless charging or the latest new thing - you're not locked into a contract :-)

Technosquid 10-31-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bachak (Post 54357380)

Out of all the Windows Phone complaints I've heard, this is the one that really kills me. The battery indicator icon is a good 20 pixels across. Is it really so hard at a glance to estimate the difference between 50% and 60% battery? If it said 56%, and you knew exactly how much battery power you had remaining, what would really be the difference?

cbslc 10-31-2012 02:16 PM

I've used both andoid and wp7.5. I gave up on android because it was a pain to sync with my outlook. wp7.5 is seamless with exchange. folder sync automatically (you have to do this one by one in android), and the trash syncs without me having to manually delete every message that I have already deleted. Anyway this is a good phone and does have some advantages over android. Outlook alone is worth it!

jjmai 10-31-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosquid (Post 54357924)
Out of all the Windows Phone complaints I've heard, this is the one that really kills me. The battery indicator icon is a good 20 pixels across. Is it really so hard at a glance to estimate the difference between 50% and 60% battery? If it said 56%, and you knew exactly how much battery power you had remaining, what would really be the difference?

It's a matter of taste.
Some are picky about it. Some wants to run it down to the last drop before charging.
It just feels like having a better sense of control when you know exactly what it is.

bjsguess 10-31-2012 02:18 PM

There is just so much misinformation on this thread ...

1. This a very nice phone. 1.4ghz processor with WP7 is fast, very fast. It performs as well as any top of the line WP7 device.
2. It does sport a 3.7" display vs 4.3" or 4.5" that the flagship devices had. For some that is perfect - for others they want a larger display. I had the 710 for about 5 months and switched over to the Focus S for the larger screen (wife now has the 710).
3. This is not a flagship device. If you want that look for the Titan (1 or 2), Focus S, Lumia 800/900.
4. Having the Nokia built in apps is a huge deal. Nokia Maps is the best off-line GPS application that I have ever used on a smartphone. It's heads and shoulders above JB and my experience with my N7.
5. Windows 7 IS NOT DEAD. There are millions of devices running it. There are over 100,000 apps already available. These apps are going nowhere. Smart developers will continue to develop apps that are compatible with BOTH 7 and 8. I wouldn't expect exclusive WP8 apps to really take hold for another 8-12 months.
6. We DO know that all 7.5 devices will receive AT LEAST an upgrade to 7.8. We DON'T know what the 7.8 upgrade will look like at this time. Given what was shown off around WP8 I think there will be quite a bit that makes its way to 7.8.

I have a hard time recommending most folks getting a 7.5 device right now. The exception use case are people like my wife and I. We have a prepaid minutes plan. No data/no text. Since we're in a wifi area 99% of the time this works great for us (use GV for texting). I pay $0.10/minute and with current usage my cost is $8 a month. For people like me, this phone is the best. At this price, for a NEW device, you can't go wrong. Much better than the Exhibit for Android. If you go used you can a better device (like the Titan or Focus S) for about the same price.

However, if you are on a contract I would wait and get a subsidized phone. There will be tons of options through T-Mobile and ATT. The new Lumia's and HTC devices are sick.

hamarabajaj 10-31-2012 02:19 PM

At $50 I will consider buying this one.

threeclaws 10-31-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakocool (Post 54357902)
Wouldn't Nexus 4 would kill Galaxy S III for the price and features Nexus offers? I know S III has external removable memory and Nexus does not, but why would someone buy any other Android phone when Nexus is $300 unlocked?

I have no idea, you get almost immediate updates for the next 2 releases (maybe more,) in theory it should give great performance out of the box and with subsequent releases, and it's cheap.

Technosquid 10-31-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stwinter (Post 54357038)
Windows phones are good phones. Software-wise it's smoother than android. Unless you are phone gamer, windows phone is a fine choice.

I say get a 16GB Nexus 7 for the games. There are still some decent games on WP7, like Carcassonne, that will help you pad your XBOX Live gamerscore.

samux 10-31-2012 02:20 PM

This is a great price for this phone, especially if you are looking for a device off contract. The Nokia apps are a huge plus as well.

kamakazii 10-31-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjsguess (Post 54358104)
T
5. Windows 7 IS NOT DEAD. There are millions of devices running it. There are over 100,000 apps already available. These apps are going nowhere. Smart developers will continue to develop apps that are compatible with BOTH 7 and 8. I wouldn't expect exclusive WP8 apps to really take hold for another 8-12 months.

So a better statement is Windows Phone 7 WILL be dead in approx 8-12 months and don't expect new apps to support it.

dreamexecution 10-31-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakocool (Post 54357902)

Removable battery

xecutionkrk 10-31-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euwil (Post 54351938)
Yes it is. It's a dead OS, no more app developement and limited MS support.

$40 would be a reasonable price at this point. Anything over $100 is just laughable.

True, I mean all the things you get with androids and u want this? Might just get a $50 treo while you're at it.

rgrdlr 10-31-2012 02:24 PM

Wow, I got here too late. I think this thread is DEAD.

Rakocool 10-31-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

If they go to Settings and then Battery saver there is "battery info that displays remaining battery life(%) and estimated time(Hours).

threeclaws 10-31-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamexecution (Post 54358186)
Removable battery

It is not removable on the fly but it is removable (essentially the same setup as the 3g(s)) so if the concern is battery degradation it isn't a valid concern but if you actually swap batteries on a regular basis look for another device.

Personally I haven't swapped batteries in years, since my blackjack, and frankly if the battery life is bad enough that I can't make it a day on a single charge I won't keep the phone.

Rakocool 10-31-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamarabajaj (Post 54358128)
At $50 I will consider buying this one.

I do not think you will ever able to purchase new Smartphone unlocked for $50. Unless there is price mistakes that we slickdeals users take advantage of in the future.

BenM5 10-31-2012 02:29 PM

i would pay 100 more for nexus 4

Technosquid 10-31-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamakazii (Post 54358176)
So a better statement is Windows Phone 7 WILL be dead in approx 8-12 months and don't expect new apps to support it.

Even with only around 4% market share, it will take a long time for there to be more WP8 handsets than WP7. Developers will continue to make WP7-compatible apps for some time until the WP7 install base is inconsequential. I mean most devs JUST got the SDK this week! Even if in a year's time you start seeing top apps not supported by WP7, you'll have a pretty well filled out app store at that point. What do you expect for a brand new $160 off-contract phone? Use it for a year or 18 months... you'll still find someone to buy the used one. It's not like it becomes a broken phone!

aero 10-31-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosquid (Post 54357692)
Are used items anywhere near the same thing? Yes.

Craigslist involves labor, but more so for the seller.

Yes if you work at mcdonalds per hour rates it makes sense on small items.
You don't just punch up a map. You have to research the product, its likely problems and how to assess them because there are no refunds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosquid (Post 54357692)
Since value is what people are willing to pay for something -- It's because of people like you who hide under the couch when they hear used, no warranty, craigslist killer!!

You killed yourself with the "people like you" crack. I buy and sell on ebay and craigslist all the time. When I buy I pay about 10-20% of new cost for a used like new item.

I dont come onto slickdeals for a new -- in WARRANTY -- product and exclaim it can be found for 25% less on craigslist as a childish threadcap.

And warranties are a very important part of consumer electronics. Lots of people ditch items n Craigslist with problems that are not immediately apparent.

aero 10-31-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmor (Post 54357576)
Who doesn't compare used vs new? If all you do is look at new, that is silly. Most everything in this world can be had used for a significantly lower price than brand new. Used items are less valuable, because they're used? Geez, I thought used items always went for a brand new asking price.

Are you too lazy to use labor and unable to discern fraud when you use it? If Craigslist 'often' involved fraud, no one would be using Craigslist. You sound like you're too afraid to go outside.

Your logic is flawed. You suggest spending $200 of ones time to save $40 and call anyone who doesnt "lazy". lol, anyone who does is stupid!

You sound like a total cragislist noob if you don't know there is a lot of fraud.

bjsguess 10-31-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosquid (Post 54358364)
Even with only around 4% market share, it will take a long time for there to be more WP8 handsets than WP7. Developers will continue to make WP7-compatible apps for some time until the WP7 install base is inconsequential. I mean most devs JUST got the SDK this week! Even if in a year's time you start seeing top apps not supported by WP7, you'll have a pretty well filled out app store at that point. What do you expect for a brand new $160 off-contract phone? Use it for a year or 18 months... you'll still find someone to buy the used one. It's not like it becomes a broken phone!

This ^^^^

My point was simple - 8-12 months is a realistic timeline for when exclusive WP8 apps will be common. Smart developers will continue making apps that are compatible with both WP7/WP8. Only reason to build an WP8 app is to take advantage of new capabilities offered under NT.

Even if ALL new apps were built for WP8 there are over 100,000 existing apps that will continue to work just fine. I have a couple Android tablets and before that switched from an Evo to WP7. For ME, I currently have all of my must have apps on WP7. I do wish there were better options for games on WP but I use my tablet to play games. My WP does everything I need it to do for a phone. It's a great OS.

JPR 10-31-2012 02:51 PM

For those saying get the Exhibit II or 4G I had one for about 8 months, and it was decent, I was a big supporter, but now that the Galaxy III has arrived, you can get a Galaxy II for much cheaper. I learned a lot with the Exhibit II rooting and installing various ROMs. Even so, GrooveIP didn't work as well as I hoped for, and I was constantly running out of space, even after moving every app possible to SD. If you're going to Android don't get anything less than a Galaxy II. At about $250 used, I think it's the best value for the money. I got mine off Craigslist without any problem, just make sure everything checks out, and you meet in a public place, like a wireless store.
I use GrooveIP all the time on the $30 T-Mobile unlimited data plan, and use the 100min the rare times 4G doesn't work. Anyhow, for $300 you can get the Nexus 4, which blows the Galaxy II out of the water.
I think this phone should be under $100 to be considered as a hold off til a better phone reaches this price range. For a cheap 3G phone you can still get a Palm Pixi Plus unlocked for $50, if your main intent is phone calls, email, and minimal web use.

jmor 10-31-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aero (Post 54358636)
Your logic is flawed. You suggest spending $200 of ones time to save $40 and call anyone who doesnt "lazy". lol, anyone who does is stupid!

You sound like a total cragislist noob if you don't know there is a lot of fraud.

I use Craigslist all the time, never had any problems with it. Even got a job off of Craigslist. Yeah, I just don't count the times I got help up at gun point :rolleyes:

johnlau 10-31-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Is this ever going to change for WP7?

haroldminer 10-31-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnlau (Post 54359046)

No. WP7 doesn't allow for it.

Technosquid 10-31-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnlau (Post 54359046)

They may build it into the WP7.8 update, but I doubt it. The only leaked build we have to go on is build 7.10.8835, and there's hardly anything new in that besides the start screen tile size changing.

http://youtu.be/2Q0kvY1tkzk (there are other videos but I posted this one specifically because it's on the 710.)

As recently as September, they were asking the community which WP8 features they wanted to see in WP7.8, which is kind of funny because until October 29th few WP8 features had not been officially unveiled.

axesd 10-31-2012 03:11 PM

Great price for grandma

johnlau 10-31-2012 03:11 PM

I bought this phone several months ago when it was $250 and came with a $50 prepaid card from T-Mobile.

I like it because you can use the Nokia Maps feature which is just like a regular GPS unit, and you can use the GPS navigator without using any cellular data (for those of us who don't have a data plan) -- it is one of those phones that has dedicated, non-cellular GPS I guess...

As for the the Apps for WP8 vs WP7, a software developer has told me that they will only have to change a few lines of code for WP8 apps to work on WP7, so he does not anticipate any more apps not being created for WP7...

sukru 10-31-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgough (Post 54356920)
Dude that's just a unified development platform. That does not make the phone 8.x applications they produce backwards compatible. 8.x applications will not run on 7.x. Try it yourself. show us what a Windows phone bad @ss you are....

I guess you misunderstood what I'm saying. The developers have the option to target Windows 7.5 with the 8.0 SDK. I never said direct 8.0 apps would run on 7.5.

Technosquid 10-31-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnlau (Post 54359276)
As for the the Apps for WP8 vs WP7, a software developer has told me that they will only have to change a few lines of code for WP8 apps to work on WP7, so he does not anticipate any more apps not being created for WP7...

I think you might have this wrong. Maybe a few lines of code to make Windows Phone 8 apps work on Windows 8. WP7 apps work on WP8. They should develop apps with WP7 compatibility so they run on both, unless they need to take advantage of a feature lacking in WP7.

Philosuffer 10-31-2012 03:17 PM

Disclaimer - currently own an unlocked T-Mo GS3 on t-mo monthly4g prepaid $30/mo

But I've been wanting to just try out Windows Phone for the heck of it. I'd only want to spend less than $200 and would have to be unlocked and work on t-mo prepaid or straight talk, and obviously be off contract.

So, with those considerations is this the best deal?

or will there be a better option when Windows Phone 8 phones get released? I'm peripherally aware of the Lumia 820 coming, but I doubt that will be sub $200 off contract any time soon.

Dranon 10-31-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haroldminer (Post 54354054)
Because the monthly price is not the same.

But it is the same! Unless you are getting a prepaid plan or using a MVO. Curious can you use an unlocked iphone on T-Mobile without a data plan? Unlike ATT?

johnlau 10-31-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosquid (Post 54359334)
I think you might have this wrong. Maybe a few lines of code to make Windows Phone 8 apps work on Windows 8. WP7 apps work on WP8. They should develop apps with WP7 compatibility so they run on both, unless they need to take advantage of a feature lacking in WP7.

Uh, yeah, right, my language there was not accurate/exact...

johnlau 10-31-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

With WP7, can you just leave the Skype app open then?

thedealbuddy 10-31-2012 03:26 PM

I dont see how this is such a good deal. Phone and OS is already obsolete. Pricing is OK but nothing special. Wont be able to upgrade to Win 8.
This is an unlocked Tmobile phone.

seanleeforever 10-31-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deal03 (Post 54357830)
I have the standard SIM card, can I just go to T-mobile and exchange it with micro-SIM card and plug into this phone and it will work without any activation or need to pay the swap from T-mobile? I have the web2go and would like to get upgrade to 4G speed for sure.

Unfortunately , those plans were discontinued. So you either have it, or you don't.

edit
appealingly i missed that you already have web to go. then yes, just exchange SIM card or cut it yourself.

Ivelweyz 10-31-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

What's so hard about going into SETTINGS>Battery Saver and look at remaining battery power?
Is that not a standard "feature" on all WP7 phones?

Technosquid 10-31-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philosuffer (Post 54359386)
Disclaimer - currently own an unlocked T-Mo GS3 on t-mo monthly4g prepaid $30/mo

But I've been wanting to just try out Windows Phone for the heck of it. I'd only want to spend less than $200 and would have to be unlocked and work on t-mo prepaid or straight talk, and obviously be off contract.

or will there be a better option when Windows Phone 8 phones get released? I'm peripherally aware of the Lumia 820 coming, but I doubt that will be sub $200 off contract any time soon.

If you just want to try out WP7, the cheapest possible phone is a used LG Quantum. It's not a WCDMA AWS 3G phone though, it's on AT&T. Straight talk would work.

If you want a new phone, this Nokia is a fine deal, but I'd still rather spend the money on a used Samsung Focus i917 because it's got an SD slot, Super AMOLED 4.0" screen, lots of support in the developer community, as well as easy unlocking using WindowBreak. It won't have the "4G" speeds of the Lumia 710, front-facing camera, or extra 0.4ghz processor, though.

As for WP8 -- the prices may drop faster than you think. They're introducing the highest-end phones starting at $150 on contract. Lowest-end phones will be free on contract. $200 for a newish one on ebay or CL doesn't seem so far off.

Technosquid 10-31-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivelweyz (Post 54359706)
What's so hard about going into SETTINGS>Battery Saver and look at remaining battery power?
Is that not a standard "feature" on all WP7 phones?

Well, it is an extra couple taps, and something that frustrates android converts to windows phone. I understand that frustration, but I don't understand people being so micro-managing about their battery power that they can't deal with knowing the battery level is somewhere between 50% and 60% They need to know it's 56% exactly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnlau (Post 54359522)
With WP7, can you just leave the Skype app open then?

I don't really see that as being a reasonable use case. It's fine for outgoing calls, not incoming.

BosuxRedsux 10-31-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

yes, i have the $2.99 t-zones.

Ivelweyz 10-31-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dranon (Post 54359420)
But it is the same! Unless you are getting a prepaid plan or using a MVO. Curious can you use an unlocked iphone on T-Mobile without a data plan? Unlike ATT?

Yes. Only thing Tmo provides you is a SIM and SIMs don't require data. Plus on Value Plan, data prices are 1/2-3/4 of the classic plan prices. 200mb is $5 vs $10, 2gb 4G is $10 vs $20, unlimited is $20 vs $30.

Meinheim 10-31-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAsian817 (Post 54357172)
15% off with shopdiscover!

Sure about that? Shopdiscover says not valid on groupon goods.

Ivelweyz 10-31-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosquid (Post 54359828)
Well, it is an extra couple taps, and something that frustrates android converts to windows phone. I understand that frustration, but I don't understand people being so micro-managing about their battery power that they can't deal with knowing the battery level is somewhere between 50% and 60% They need to know it's 56% exactly.

That I'll agree with. It's ridiculous. Just something for people to complain about.

seanleeforever 10-31-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lopportunity (Post 54357724)
I can't believe this still exists. I remember having it years ago and then cancelling it and I can't get it back even though I've been with T-Mobile for over 10 years straight.

Oh it does. Together with unlimited calling makes the best family plan available. 90 dollar unlimited everything for 2 line. My only regret is not jumped on it when it was 2.49. Which will make it 76 dollars for 2 lines.

Meinheim 10-31-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meinheim (Post 54359944)
Sure about that? Shopdiscover says not valid on groupon goods.

From Shopdiscover groupon terms and conditions:

"Offer not valid on Epic Deals, Trips & Getaways, GrouponLive, GrouponNow, Groupon Goods, Groupon Gift Cards and Charity Promotions"

Groupon Goods seems to invalidate the cashback? Anyone have an opinion on this?

javamaan 10-31-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deal03 (Post 54357830)

If you cant exchange for micro-SIM, you can just the regular SIM card to fit. All you are removing is some extra plastic. I believe some sites sell the cutting tool too.

clearanceman 10-31-2012 04:12 PM

Is this as good as android?

Philosuffer 10-31-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosquid (Post 54359782)
If you just want to try out WP7, the cheapest possible phone is a used LG Quantum. It's not a WCDMA AWS 3G phone though, it's on AT&T. Straight talk would work.

If you want a new phone, this Nokia is a fine deal, but I'd still rather spend the money on a used Samsung Focus i917 because it's got an SD slot, Super AMOLED 4.0" screen, lots of support in the developer community, as well as easy unlocking using WindowBreak. It won't have the "4G" speeds of the Lumia 710, front-facing camera, or extra 0.4ghz processor, though.

As for WP8 -- the prices may drop faster than you think. They're introducing the highest-end phones starting at $150 on contract. Lowest-end phones will be free on contract. $200 for a newish one on ebay or CL doesn't seem so far off.

Coming from Sprint and getting 0.5Mpbs 3G, I have grown to love my 9-16MBps faux 4G from T-mobile so I don't think the Focus would be for me, and the lack of SDCard on the Lumia 710 would also be a compromise. I guess I'll wait until there are some sub-$200 used WP8 phones and see what they have to offer. Thanks for your informative reply.

Ivelweyz 10-31-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philosuffer (Post 54360654)
Coming from Sprint and getting 0.5Mpbs 3G, I have grown to love my 9-16MBps faux 4G from T-mobile

Nice. I never got over 8Mbps on att LTE.

coachclass 10-31-2012 04:39 PM

Not to thread crap. If you have a use for this, then go for it.

But, if you're getting this thinking you can use it for stuff you would use an Android for, you might want to think twice. The Windows Apps ecosystem is nothing like the android app ecosystem. Lots of things that I think "duh, windows would have if they want to compete" end up not being there.

I have a HTC Titan. Nice phone for reading on websites, but not good for some of the things I've used it for:

1) Using as a bike GPS to capture my route. Exporting GPS data is clumsy. At least the free apps that I've tried.

2) Using it to navigate a new city (like when traveling). Android has lots of free apps that do this well, even on the free version.

3) Games - not as many

4) Reading ebooks - free apps for reading PDF's and epubs aren't easy to use. Android has tons of good free ones.

5) It's difficult to open attachments! Yes, it's hard to believe. Have an attachment that's a HTML file on hotmail? I can download it, but can't open it. Can't navigate the file structure on the phone natively. Have to install windows software to view phone files. A lot like iPhone in that respect. Hate that.

The_Linux_Crew 10-31-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachclass (Post 54361084)
Not to thread crap. If you have a use for this, then go for it.

But, if you're getting this thinking you can use it for stuff you would use an Android for, you might want to think twice. The Windows Apps ecosystem is nothing like the android app ecosystem. Lots of things that I think "duh, windows would have if they want to compete" end up not being there.

I have a HTC Titan. Nice phone for reading on websites, but not good for some of the things I've used it for:

1) Using as a bike GPS to capture my route. Exporting GPS data is clumsy. At least the free apps that I've tried.

2) Using it to navigate a new city (like when traveling). Android has lots of free apps that do this well, even on the free version.

3) Games - not as many

4) Reading ebooks - free apps for reading PDF's and epubs aren't easy to use. Android has tons of good free ones.

5) It's difficult to open attachments! Yes, it's hard to believe. Have an attachment that's a HTML file on hotmail? I can download it, but can't open it. Can't navigate the file structure on the phone natively. Have to install windows software to view phone files. A lot like iPhone in that respect. Hate that.

Does the HTC have Nokia maps? Because I hear Nokia maps are quite good.

Thrace 10-31-2012 04:47 PM

Just what I needed. Thanks!

Joker05 10-31-2012 04:59 PM

Some people have been crapping on the Exhibit II but I have it and its a great phone. I have Peach Sunrise 3.01 running and it runs well.

munkymonkjr 10-31-2012 05:10 PM

I bought 2 of these recently, both had "INVALID SIM" problems. Google it, pretty common. Can't recommend. Also with Win8 now out, these phones will NOT be getting the update (7.8 is their last update).

Ivelweyz 10-31-2012 05:13 PM

I think everyone knows that current WP7.5 phones are being updated to 7.8 and nothing beyond that. That is something we've known for months.

cyfan 10-31-2012 05:35 PM

Guys calm down. I'm sure there are literally dozens of apps for this phone that will be supported for several more weeks. It's a fabulous buy. ;)

cgigate 10-31-2012 05:39 PM

Nokia + Windows phone 7 = Dead end

Technosquid 10-31-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Linux_Crew (Post 54361174)
Does the HTC have Nokia maps? Because I hear Nokia maps are quite good.

They're great for offline maps, but for online maps, google is still better. I think Android 4.1 has some good map caching, though. Haven't played with it, but remember it from a Nexus 7 review.

I'm particularly bugged by Nokia maps when they refuse to make corrections to the local businesses info when I submit it.

The_Linux_Crew 10-31-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joker05 (Post 54361482)
Some people have been crapping on the Exhibit II but I have it and its a great phone. I have Peach Sunrise 3.01 running and it runs well.

It is pretty good as a basic smartphone. Nowhere near as good as a Galaxy S2, but it is also half the price AND it is 4G.

aero 10-31-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmor (Post 54358888)
I use Craigslist all the time, never had any problems with it. Even got a job off of Craigslist. Yeah, I just don't count the times I got help up at gun point

You are reaching and it is pitiful. I never said anything about getting held up. You are now just so confused in your stamens you need to make things up. the point is simple: If you are going to go on every thread and say you can get it cheaper on cragislist, you are trolling.

the time labor, known risk, loss of warranty, chance of increasing craigslist scams, and the obvious much lower value of used items make such statements on our threads here trolling.

bamba415 10-31-2012 06:55 PM

Windows Phone 7.5

Quote:

Originally Posted by sukru (Post 54353848)

No, most games will continue to be written using XNA in either C# or managed C++ (not native C++). The top developers will be creating games that can be played on both 7.5/7.8 as well as 8.x handsets until the Windows Phone 8 user base overtakes 7.5/7.8.

tarle 10-31-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

7.8 is coming to this phone..

AlexM1193 10-31-2012 07:33 PM

I have the Exhibit II 4G on T-Mobile, and it is pretty awful. Day-to-day use is pretty much like trying to play a new game on a crappy old computer: it's slow, unresponsive, and you end up hating it. I went from the Droid X(1) to the Exhibit II, and I must say that even though the Exhibit came out at least 12 months after the Droid X, it is considerably slower.

I bought this phone because I want a quicker user experience. I don't use a whole lot of apps- just ESPN, mail, Facebook, browser, Youtube. I think this will be a perfect phone for me. Plus- consider this: used Exhibits in good condition are selling for $80-100 dollars right now on Ebay, so your net cost will only be between $60 and $80.

tarle 10-31-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Is it worth going for?

1. Free offline maps-
2. Free lifetime Nokia Music-listen/download to your device for free
3. fantastic camera+camera apps
4. great battery life
5. slick n fast UI
6. all the major games from other platforms are here
7. Free Nokia reading app-makes reading magazines etc an awesome experience
8. upgradeable to 7.8

blah blah

i've using this phone for the last 1 year and have had a very good exp with it..unlike the UI problems i had with my other android phones...its a good starter phone and the price makes it a fantastic gift!!

jmor 10-31-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aero (Post 54363424)
You are reaching and it is pitiful. I never said anything about getting held up. You are now just so confused in your stamens you need to make things up. the point is simple: If you are going to go on every thread and say you can get it cheaper on cragislist, you are trolling.

the time labor, known risk, loss of warranty, chance of increasing craigslist scams, and the obvious much lower value of used items make such statements on our threads here trolling.

you say it's dangerous and i only exaggerated it to make your point sound stupid. it's not trolling when it's considerably cheaper there. people are unaware of this fact. if i said that the gsIII is cheaper on there, when it really isn't, that's trolling.

you're just scared to leave the basement and do real world human interaction, it's okay really! :hug:

AlexM1193 10-31-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmor (Post 54364378)
you say it's dangerous and i only exaggerated it to make your point sound stupid. it's not trolling when it's considerably cheaper there. people are unaware of this fact. if i said that the gsIII is cheaper on there, when it really isn't, that's trolling.

you're just scared to leave the basement and do real world human interaction, it's okay really! :hug:

Does that count as trolling, then? You are comparing a very general term like 'human interaction' to buying products on Craigslist. Do you realize how ridiculous that is? When you buy from Craigslist, you are taking on a small amount of uncertainty and risk. I think we all know what these risks are. Just because you never had a bad experience doesn't mean that a bad experience is not possible. We all know that a bad experience is somewhat unlikely, but when you buy a product with a warranty from a reputable seller, the probability of a bad experience becomes exactly zero.

bbf 10-31-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebrand (Post 54357904)
T-Mo plan is great - unlimited web and text, and 100 minutes, for just $35/month. Coupled with this phone for $160, with its really sweet OS, 4G and Nokia Drive turn-by-turn directions with offline maps - now that's one hell of a slick deal.

I don't know about you, but I have the $30 a month for the Unlimited Web & Text with 100 Minutes Talk plan from T-Mobile. I wonder where your extra $5 per month is going?

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.co...y-4g-plans

I actually pay $28.50 a month when I use the 5% off codes (Oct125 expires 11/06/2012) that CallingMart sends out every once in a while.

I actually own a Nokia Lumia 710, I like it a lot, but I don't think I'd buy it for $170. (I got mine free through the Smoked by Windows Phone Microsoft Promotion a few months ago.)
The lack of mainstream apps on Windows Phone isn't that bad, but things like Remote Control apps from Pioneer, Samsung, or LG were not available. Plus I could not find any OBD II Bluetooth software for the Windows Phone at ANY PRICE. Let alone anything that could rival Torque on Android devices.

The Lumia 710 was the first non-keyboard smartphone that I've owned in over 6 years, and I realized that I really *HATE* typing on onscreen keyboards.... So now I own an Android Phone with a slide out keyboard.

If somebody really wants to try out a phone with Windows Phone, I'd recommend that they wait until Windows Phone 8 comes out and purchase one of those phones. As others have said, Windows Phone 7 phones are dead ends, the will NEVER be upgradeable to WP8 and very few new apps will come out for them after WP8 is released because WP8 apps (ones that use the new features in WP8) are not backwards compatible with WP7.

jmor 10-31-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexM1193 (Post 54364502)
Does that count as trolling, then? You are comparing a very general term like 'human interaction' to buying products on Craigslist. Do you realize how ridiculous that is? When you buy from Craigslist, you are taking on a small amount of uncertainty and risk. I think we all know what these risks are. Just because you never had a bad experience doesn't mean that a bad experience is not possible. We all know that a bad experience is somewhat unlikely, but when you buy a product with a warranty from a reputable seller, the probability of a bad experience becomes exactly zero.

Yes, that was a perfect example of trolling. There are always risks when using Craigslist, except this guy made it seem that something would happen every single time Craigslist is used, which is not true. There are many good people and many idiots on Craigslist who most of time price things too high and want you to haggle with them.

Craigslist is never risk if you meet in a public place; a bank is an excellent place to meet at. Also if you get to try the product beforehand you'll be fine. People just shouldn't be afraid of using Craigslist because there are risks involved with it, it requires labor. Some great deals can be had using Craigslist.

AlexM1193 10-31-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmor (Post 54364646)
There are always risks when using Craigslist...There are many good people and many idiots on Craigslist....

Craigslist is never risk if you meet in a public place... People just shouldn't be afraid of using Craigslist because there are risks... it requires labor...Some great deals can be had using Craigslist.

agreed, agreed, agreed, agreed, agreed, agreed.

MadPup 10-31-2012 08:05 PM

Windows Phone 7 is so 1950's. Now, Windows Phone 8, that's the schnitz!

dzap 10-31-2012 08:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadPup (Post 54364780)
Windows Phone 7 is so 1950's. Now, Windows Phone 8, that's the schnitz!

Agreed. Look at the vast differences!

Attachment 1509296
The 1950's

Attachment 1509300
The Shiznitz!

Look at how you can resize your tiles now to small, medium AND large!

Truly Revolutionary. :nod:

Calnor 10-31-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bachak (Post 54357380)
NOT WORTH !
My wife has Windows Phone & it's smooth & fast OS. But NOT good functionalities & apps..
1) Colored tiles like you are a kid
3) Profile manager - no app (e.g. Home, Office, Outdoor profiles where you can set ringtone, ring volume, brightness, wi-fi settings etc.)
4) Auto rotate - Can't control (really?) If you are in bed reading some mails, news etc. for some apps screen will rotate, for others it won't. It's frustating
5) Mainscreen is pretty much tiles - Can't have wallpaper
6) No folders to group apps (Everything you want for quick access must go on that home/tiles page)
7) No child lock - Kids can download/buy from marketplace once you setup account & cc
8) Limited apps & Good apps are mostly priced high.
9) No google maps, google voice, file manager etc. (the list goes on) apps
In short don't buy it.

Wanted to respond to some of your points. Some of the points your brought up are a matter of preference.
1. Colored Tiles - You can change, not stuck with an app that is just static. Whatever the reason people have to change the color, mood/season/day of week, it doesn't matter, its an option that is available.
2. Battery Percentage - No app. Not sure what you're talking about. There are apps that tell you this information. Plus 2 clicks away, the system info tell you the percentage of battery life left.
3. Profile Manager - I'll give you this.
4. Auto Rotate - For most it does rotate, there have been few in my experiences where it doesn't and i become frustrated.
5. Mainscreen - Is all tiles and its awesome imo. Your wallpaper is on your lock screen. On my phone my kid's picture is my wallpaper, why would i want it on my start screen behind all my apps?
6. Folders/Groups - all the apps i do use frequently are my main tiles.
7. Child Lock - you're correct, currently there aren't any. With my 5 year old, this has never been a problem.
8. Apps - The app market is growing.
9. Google - Not sure what was going on here. I have an app that takes care of my needs for Gmail, Google Maps, Google Voice,
In short, as they say, "there's an app for that"

lzbcn 10-31-2012 08:39 PM

do not buy...

les 10-31-2012 09:10 PM

Good Price for this phone. It's not high end by any means, but WP 7 you'll find much smoother, less lag than android unless you're on ICS firmware. For those looking for a budget simple phone, this is a pretty nice deal.

deal_master 10-31-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosquid (Post 54362256)
They're great for offline maps, but for online maps, google is still better. I think Android 4.1 has some good map caching, though. Haven't played with it, but remember it from a Nexus 7 review.

I'm particularly bugged by Nokia maps when they refuse to make corrections to the local businesses info when I submit it.

Nokia doesn't do caching. It's real offline maps. Does save your time and data usage, plus don't have to depend on signal coverage.
Regarding online maps,they are probably as good as google. Only thing where they may be lacking is search algorithms.

Btw, about refusing corrections. What do you mean by that? They said they won't do or they haven't implemented the corrections yet? I bet they update their maps in some cycle which is when they would incorporate these kinds of changes.

hamarabajaj 10-31-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rakocool (Post 54358318)
I do not think you will ever able to purchase new Smartphone unlocked for $50. Unless there is price mistakes that we slickdeals users take advantage of in the future.

You can say this only if you bought this phone as for your entire family as christmas gift. I can say what I said because I am using a smartphone from last 7 yrs. At $50 this dumb phone will be for my dad who do not care much about smartphone.

deal_master 10-31-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedealbuddy (Post 54359600)
I dont see how this is such a good deal. Phone and OS is already obsolete. Pricing is OK but nothing special. Wont be able to upgrade to Win 8.
This is an unlocked Tmobile phone.

OS is not obsolete actually. It's like any mid to low end android phone with always 1 or 2 versions behind OS.
This is actually better than those androids.
It will receive 7.8 update and also continue receiving support from Nokia.
Nokia are still release new phones with WP 7.x and will continue releasing.

Ride_The_Sky 10-31-2012 11:16 PM

Is this a world phone?

Technosquid 10-31-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deal_master (Post 54366590)
Nokia doesn't do caching. It's real offline maps.

Just for the record, this is exactly what I said. I said android did caching.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deal_master (Post 54366590)
Btw, about refusing corrections. What do you mean by that? They said they won't do or they haven't implemented the corrections yet? I bet they update their maps in some cycle which is when they would incorporate these kinds of changes.

I keep submitting a correction -- that the pizza hut in my town closed down years ago, so did the Kmart, and the Super-Valu became a Cub Foods. They have never corrected it. I submitted it over two years ago on my Symbian phone. Last time I checked, up through the data I downloaded via Nokia Drive v2.0, they still had not corrected it.

Padmakumara 10-31-2012 11:46 PM

I have an HTC Radar (Windows Phone 7). I don't like it because it's not easy to use as Android or iOS. It feels like a phone that was designed by geeks for geeks. Websurfing requires an extra tap just to get to your bookmark for example, or even navigating forward one page after you moved back is a pain compared to other devices. Using it for navigation is a joke. You have to touch the screen every time you turn to get the next set of directions. You can't customize the wallpaper like you can other devices.

Why do I keep my HTC Radar around? Easy...free Wifi Hotspot! Wah!!! I can use my phone (as a backup) and wirelessly tether it to my new iPod Touch. T-Mobile charges $15/mo for this service but if you use an HTC Radar there's no charge (it might also work with the Lumia 710). I don't know why. This phone may also work with the $5/mo unlimited data plan as well but I haven't tried.

Other good things about Windoze Phone 7: Besides the fact that battery life is the best out of all my devices (Galaxy S2 and iPod Touch) I like the way it is able to find theaters and restaurants and things to do pretty easily. That's not something my iDevice or Android is setup to do easily or well.

The resolution is crappy (I can see the pixels) but the colors are the most accurate out of all my devices, the whites look like true white whereas my Galaxy S2 has a greenish tint to it (the S3 has this problem as well but it's not as pronounced).

sasaeric 10-31-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbf (Post 54364552)
I don't know about you, but I have the $30 a month for the Unlimited Web & Text with 100 Minutes Talk plan from T-Mobile. I wonder where your extra $5 per month is going?

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.co...y-4g-plans

I actually pay $28.50 a month when I use the 5% off codes (Oct125 expires 11/06/2012) that CallingMart sends out every once in a while.

I actually own a Nokia Lumia 710, I like it a lot, but I don't think I'd buy it for $170. (I got mine free through the Smoked by Windows Phone Microsoft Promotion a few months ago.)
The lack of mainstream apps on Windows Phone isn't that bad, but things like Remote Control apps from Pioneer, Samsung, or LG were not available. Plus I could not find any OBD II Bluetooth software for the Windows Phone at ANY PRICE. Let alone anything that could rival Torque on Android devices.

The Lumia 710 was the first non-keyboard smartphone that I've owned in over 6 years, and I realized that I really *HATE* typing on onscreen keyboards.... So now I own an Android Phone with a slide out keyboard.

If somebody really wants to try out a phone with Windows Phone, I'd recommend that they wait until Windows Phone 8 comes out and purchase one of those phones. As others have said, Windows Phone 7 phones are dead ends, the will NEVER be upgradeable to WP8 and very few new apps will come out for them after WP8 is released because WP8 apps (ones that use the new features in WP8) are not backwards compatible with WP7.

Hi, could you tell me 5% off codes (Oct125 expires 11/06/2012) from CallingMart, which card I should buy? T-Mobile To Go RTR/Topup - Auto Load To Phone or T-Mobile To Go Prepaid Wireless Airtime Minutes Refill? I'm also using the $30 per month plan, thanks a lot.

Padmakumara 11-01-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calnor (Post 54365082)
Wanted to respond to some of your points. Some of the points your brought up are a matter of preference.
1. Colored Tiles - You can change, not stuck with an app that is just static. Whatever the reason people have to change the color, mood/season/day of week, it doesn't matter, its an option that is available.
2. Battery Percentage - No app. Not sure what you're talking about. There are apps that tell you this information. Plus 2 clicks away, the system info tell you the percentage of battery life left.
3. Profile Manager - I'll give you this.
4. Auto Rotate - For most it does rotate, there have been few in my experiences where it doesn't and i become frustrated.
5. Mainscreen - Is all tiles and its awesome imo. Your wallpaper is on your lock screen. On my phone my kid's picture is my wallpaper, why would i want it on my start screen behind all my apps?
6. Folders/Groups - all the apps i do use frequently are my main tiles.
7. Child Lock - you're correct, currently there aren't any. With my 5 year old, this has never been a problem.
8. Apps - The app market is growing.
9. Google - Not sure what was going on here. I have an app that takes care of my needs for Gmail, Google Maps, Google Voice,
In short, as they say, "there's an app for that"

1) I believe his point was that the way tiles are implemented in WP7 that the look is primitive. Way back in 1980 when computer monitors had 16 colors, tiles would have looked great. In 2012, when everyone else is using icons it doesn't necessarily look like a step forward. And if you do choose to change the color of the tiles, all the tiles colors change, you can't just change the color of one tile, not to mention the color choices are limited.
2) He's got a totally legit point here. It drives me crazy that I have to exit out of the browser, hit Settings, then tap on the Power Management or whatever it is, then scroll down to see the battery life. If there's a battery app or widget, I haven't found it.
5) If you don't want to have customizable wallpaper that's on you. Everyone else has grown accustomed to having the wallpaper of their choice on their devices, whether those devices are portable, or even on the desktop. It's a legitimate gripe.

Every single one of his gripes were totally legit. I own an HTC Radar (Windows Phone 7) and it's not my favorite smartphone.

ellemdee 11-01-2012 01:09 AM

A word of caution to those buying this just for the free tethering - TMO may eventually block it. I successfully used my HD7 + $5.99 data plan to tether for the last 2 years without issue, but just this week they finally blocked it. Fiddling with a user agent spoofer extension bought me a little more time, but now TMO's throwing up an upsell page when I try to tether and they sent me a text saying tethering had been blocked :sadwalk:

That said, I might still jump on this deal, as it's a good price for a no-contract smartphone that will work w/ TMO. Sucks about the mini-sim, though...I was hoping to be able to swap my SIM between the 2 phones. Does anyone make an adapter for using a mini-sim in a full-sim phone w/o it being loose?
Quote:

It's not just the carrier commitment that you have to take into account, but the data plan commitment as well. With TMO, a subsidized smartphone requires a contract-long data plan commitment as well. Want to use your phone with wifi? Great, but you'll still have to pay for a data plan for 2 years. Drop/lose your phone and want to use a cheap dumbphone until you're eligible for upgrade pricing again? Fine, but you're still required to pay for a smartphone data plan until the current contract ends. Have an old $3/5/6 unlimited (as in actually unlimited) data plan that would work just fine with your shiny new smartphone? Yeah, well you're now paying 10 times more for a crippled/capped/throttled smartphone data plan and you can never get your old cheap data plan back again. Plus there's the ridiculous upgrade fee to take into account. Not wanting to commit to a carrier isn't the only reason why signing a contract in exchange for a subsidized smartphone might not make sense for some people.
Quote:

Originally Posted by max1001 (Post 54355158)
WP is good for people who don't want a smartphone but still want rich features. It's simple enough for grandmas.

The fact that the OS just works really well out of the box isn't a bad thing and definitely doesn't make a WP7 phone *not* a smartphone. Yes, this OS doesn't have a steep learning curve, but intuitive isn't a bad thing. I'm an engineer & I love my gadgets, but it's so nice to use a device that just works. Smooth, stable, and more pleasant to look at than a screen full of desktop-like icons. I can't count the number of people I've run into that have iPhones and didn't even realize that their phone could send email...and I'm not talking technophobe grannies - young adults.
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_dev (Post 54357322)
I have used Anroid, IPhone, and Windows 7.5 Samsung Focus S. So far in one year my phone had to be restarted only once, not because it froze but because of minor home screen problem. I consider this the best phone I have had, plus people usually ask me what kind of phone is that, maybe because they're tired of seeing APPLE everywhere and this looks like a novelty. Plus the ZUNE interface is darn sexy in my opinion.

Another Zune interface fan here. It really is an attractive interface and fun to use. Syncing my phone is fast and easy.

Quote:

Probably one of the biggest selling points right there. For those who have these grandfathered plans, this phone would pay for itself and then some. If this were offered free with a contract, paying $159 for it via this deal is still the better deal. I have the $5.99 plan, so I'd be saving approx. $25/month vs. a regular smartphone data plan (required for a subsidized smartphone). Over a 2-year contract, that's a savings of $600! Figure in the phone's $159 initial cost and a subsidized phone's upgrade fee, and you're still saving over $450 in 2 years, plus this phone is unlocked already which not only adds to resale value, but gives you the freedom to easily switch carriers. And, since no contract is required , you can do so at any time without penalty.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philosuffer (Post 54359386)

Well, there will almost always be a better deal, eventually. I think this is a very good deal, especially for someone like yourself who would like to try WP without a commitment and also have carrier flexibility.

BanditKing 11-01-2012 01:42 AM

Wake me up when this phone is below $50 for buying. ok

deal_master 11-01-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenq (Post 54369362)
1) I believe his point was that the way tiles are implemented in WP7 that the look is primitive. Way back in 1980 when computer monitors had 16 colors, tiles would have looked great. In 2012, when everyone else is using icons it doesn't necessarily look like a step forward. And if you do choose to change the color of the tiles, all the tiles colors change, you can't just change the color of one tile, not to mention the color choices are limited.
2) He's got a totally legit point here. It drives me crazy that I have to exit out of the browser, hit Settings, then tap on the Power Management or whatever it is, then scroll down to see the battery life. If there's a battery app or widget, I haven't found it.
5) If you don't want to have customizable wallpaper that's on you. Everyone else has grown accustomed to having the wallpaper of their choice on their devices, whether those devices are portable, or even on the desktop. It's a legitimate gripe.

Every single one of his gripes were totally legit. I own an HTC Radar (Windows Phone 7) and it's not my favorite smartphone.

(5) Having a wallpaper hidden behind a screen full of icons/tiles is not most people will want.

You are the first person, I know of, who said that WP7 is not as easy to use as Android or iOS.
Sorry, but not heard that before from anyone. I guess definition of easy is different for you than most other people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenq (Post 54369182)
I have an HTC Radar (Windows Phone 7). I don't like it because it's not easy to use as Android or iOS. It feels like a phone that was designed by geeks for geeks. Websurfing requires an extra tap just to get to your bookmark for example, or even navigating forward one page after you moved back is a pain compared to other devices. Using it for navigation is a joke. You have to touch the screen every time you turn to get the next set of directions. You can't customize the wallpaper like you can other devices.

Why do I keep my HTC Radar around? Easy...free Wifi Hotspot! Wah!!! I can use my phone (as a backup) and wirelessly tether it to my new iPod Touch. T-Mobile charges $15/mo for this service but if you use an HTC Radar there's no charge (it might also work with the Lumia 710). I don't know why. This phone may also work with the $5/mo unlimited data plan as well but I haven't tried.

Other good things about Windoze Phone 7: Besides the fact that battery life is the best out of all my devices (Galaxy S2 and iPod Touch) I like the way it is able to find theaters and restaurants and things to do pretty easily. That's not something my iDevice or Android is setup to do easily or well.

The resolution is crappy (I can see the pixels) but the colors are the most accurate out of all my devices, the whites look like true white whereas my Galaxy S2 has a greenish tint to it (the S3 has this problem as well but it's not as pronounced).