Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Costco Deluxe Thanksgiving Feast 12-14 guests $150 FS (Turkey min 14 lb, Sides, Deserts total 27 lb)...$125 if stacked w/AmEx deal (http://slickdeals.net/f/5437950-costco-deluxe-thanksgiving-feast-12-14-guests-150-fs-turkey-min-14-lb-sides-deserts-total-27-lb-125-if-stacked-w-amex-deal)

green_key 11-05-2012 09:51 AM

Costco Deluxe Thanksgiving Feast 12-14 guests $150 FS (Turkey min 14 lb, Sides, Deserts total 27 lb)...$125 if stacked w/AmEx deal
 
1 Attachment(s)
Thanksgiving Deluxe Turkey Feast from Costco. $150 after $50 off. Shipping & Handling included. Maybe cheaper if stacked with AmEx deal, look into wiki.
Valid 11/01/12 through 11/30/12. While supplies last.
Great for people like me who prefer to spend Thanksgiving with family & friends in good conversation and laughter, not slaving away in kitchen & doing tedious cleaning later :D

Note: Some grocery store maybe cheaper for 5 people deal. This costco deal is for 14 people with decent quantity and variety....costco pricing is usually hard to beat and their deli is pretty good
This is not for people has the time and love to cook.

http://www.costco.com/.product.11...+Shop+Now.

Great review from last year: http://www.costco.com/.product.11...+Shop+Now.

This feast will easily feed 12 to 14 more guests
Each dinner comes with:
Fully cooked turkey - min 14 lbs <<<<< One pound per person...ho ho....burp! there goes my diet :P
Fully cooked cornbread stuffing - 3lbs
Fully cooked green beans - 3lbs
Fully cooked sweet potatoes - 3lbs
Fully cooked garlic mashed potatoes - 3lbs
Fully cooked turkey gravy - 1.5lbs
Cranberry Sauce 1lb
Apple Cobbler 3lbs

wikipost 11-05-2012 09:51 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)
 
Can be stacked:

Get $25 back when you spend $100+ at Costco.com w/ American Express App for iPhone (no Facebook required)
http://slickdeals.net/f/5429132-Get-25-back-when-you-spend-100-at-Costco-com-w-American-Express-App-for-iPhone-no-Facebook-required

$25 Statement credit when you Spend $100+ COSTCO Amex Sync Facebook Offer YMMV
http://slickdeals.net/f/5410064-American-Express-25-Statement-Credit-with-100-Purchase-at-Costco-com-10-Statement-Credit-with-25-Purchase-at-California-Pizza-Kitchen-Facebook-Account-Required

ducky2802 11-05-2012 09:54 AM

Yay! I like how its valid through 11/30. I wonder if they are going to have a firesale on 11/23 so I can last til Christmas.

bbm4l1fe 11-05-2012 09:57 AM

so much money!
ill make it all for around $20

sbrown23 11-05-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbm4l1fe (Post 54484268)
so much money!
ill make it all for around $20

*cough* BULLSH$% *cough*

Also includes labor, delivery. FAIL.

green_key 11-05-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbm4l1fe (Post 54484268)
so much money!
ill make it all for around $20

Costco price is about $10 per person with free shipping. Maybe slightly cheaper (NOT $20) if I cook myself. However, this price is worth all the hassle of cooking, cleaning and organizing I have to do later.

bbm4l1fe 11-05-2012 10:10 AM

..ill keep my $130

turkey $7
stuffing $2
sweet potatoes $3
Fully cooked garlic mashed potatoes $3
Fully cooked turkey gravy... free with bird...eh... 10 cents of flour
Cranberry Sauce 75 cents
Apple Cobbler $4


must be nice not having to do the work...

4FewDollarsLess 11-05-2012 10:24 AM

Don't forget the say "thanks" to AmEx that day for the $20 off $100 FB offer to make the deal even sweeter

rogueone 11-05-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4FewDollarsLess (Post 54485332)
Don't forget the say "thanks" to AmEx that day for the $20 off $100 FB offer to make the deal even sweeter

Huh? What's that? Did I miss something?

HenryWinkler187 11-05-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbm4l1fe (Post 54484910)
..ill keep my $130

turkey $7
stuffing $2
sweet potatoes $3
Fully cooked garlic mashed potatoes $3
Fully cooked turkey gravy... free with bird...eh... 10 cents of flour
Cranberry Sauce 75 cents
Apple Cobbler $4


must be nice not having to do the work...

Have fun with that. I'll be drinking heavily, watching football, getting into fist fight with brother and maybe playing darts or something all day. Screw cooking, thanksgiving is meant to be enjoyed by drinking ALOT of alcohol and puking.

phillylex 11-05-2012 10:29 AM

Grocery stores run similar deals (eg, Wegman's and Whole Foods). Problem is not knowing the quality into you get the food, although Costco typically runs products through a battery of tests before they agree to sell them.

4FewDollarsLess 11-05-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogueone (Post 54485428)
Huh? What's that? Did I miss something?

Sorry - it is $25 off $100:
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/82278/costco-wholesale-american-express-25-statement-credit-with-100-purchase-at-costco.com-10-statement-credit-with-25-purchase-at-california-pizza-kitchen

there was another post that works with iPhone app and does not need FB account. Search SD for Costco and you'll find it.

chuck4rooke 11-05-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryWinkler187 (Post 54485436)
Have fun with that. I'll be drinking heavily, watching football, getting into fist fight with brother and maybe playing darts or something all day. Screw cooking, thanksgiving is meant to be enjoyed by drinking ALOT of alcohol and puking.

don't have a woman?

dumars 11-05-2012 10:46 AM

These meals are like $50 at my grocery store- and, no, I don't live in those areas where everything is dirt cheap.

Nate650 11-05-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbm4l1fe (Post 54484910)
..ill keep my $130

turkey $7
stuffing $2
sweet potatoes $3
Fully cooked garlic mashed potatoes $3
Fully cooked turkey gravy... free with bird...eh... 10 cents of flour
Cranberry Sauce 75 cents
Apple Cobbler $4


must be nice not having to do the work...

Your prices seem exaggerated toward the lower side. Did you take into account 12-14 servings? Also where do you get a turkey for $7? I know prices can range tremendously based on quality. For example a local farm charges $105 for a 13-15 pound pasture-raised turkey which is essentially the highest quality available. That comes out to ~7.50/lb.

las2ams 11-05-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumars (Post 54485992)
These meals are like $50 at my grocery store- and, no, I don't live in those areas where everything is dirt cheap.

Those $50 meals won't feed 12-14 guests (the Costco meal features larger portions and more items).

But I do agree that you could replicate a similar meal for $20 (slighly more in pricier markets). Turkeys are selling for less than $1/lb., yams will drop to less than 50c/lb., and things like Stove Top Stuffing, Heinz Garvey, etc. are selling for a quarter a box/jar after printable coupons. Stouffer’s has introduced seasonal family-sized entrees consisting of traditional sides; Kroger had them 2/$8 (or $5/each) and printable $1.50 coupons were available.

That said, the process of cooking & clean-up is stressful to many. My (theatric) elderly mother cries and whines for weeks following the holiday, yet is too stubborn to let others do the cooking. Thus, we now purchase prepared meals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate650 (Post 54487964)
Your prices seem exaggerated toward the lower side. Did you take into account 12-14 servings? Also where do you get a turkey for $7? I know prices can range tremendously based on quality. For example a local farm charges $105 for a 13-15 pound pasture-raised turkey which is essentially the highest quality available. That comes out to ~7.50/lb.

If you shop early (like beginning now) and use coupons, then no, his prices aren't exaggerated. Turkeys are selling for less than $1/lb, even in markets like Chicago. Yes, you can buy premium turkeys selling for as much as $10/lb, but the (generic) $1/lb. turkey is closer to what Costco would be selling you. Same applies to the side dishes.

Nate650 11-05-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by las2ams (Post 54488044)
Those $50 meals won't feed 12-14 guests (the Costco meal features larger portions and more items).

But I do agree that you could replicate a similar meal for $20 (slighly more in pricier markets). Turkeys are selling for less than $1/lb., yams will drop to less than 50c/lb., and things like Stove Top Stuffing, Heinz Garvey, etc. are selling for a quarter a box/jar after printable coupons. Stouffer’s has introduced seasonal family-sized entrees consisting of traditional sides; Kroger had them 2/$8 (or $5/each) and printable $1.50 coupons were available.

That said, the process of cooking & clean-up is stressful to many. My (theatric) elderly mother cries and whines for weeks following the holiday, yet is too stubborn to let others do the cooking. Thus, we now purchase prepared meals.



If you shop early (like beginning now) and use coupons, then no, his prices aren't exaggerated. Turkeys are selling for less than $1/lb, even in markets like Chicago. Yes, you can buy premium turkeys selling for as much as $10/lb, but the (generic) $1/lb. turkey is closer to what Costco would be selling you. Same applies to the side dishes.

Thanks for the clarification. I was assuming the entire meal would be created from scratch without the use of pre-made industrial stuff like Stove Top stuffing mix. For me, using products like Stouffer's takes away from the "homemade" appeal. In that case you're essentially getting a fast food meal that has been prepared at home.

phillylex 11-05-2012 12:24 PM

To the people saying they can feed 12-14 people on Thanksgiving for $20, remind me to never eat at your house.

Wyndhamscams 11-05-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbm4l1fe (Post 54484910)
..ill keep my $130

turkey $7
stuffing $2
sweet potatoes $3
Fully cooked garlic mashed potatoes $3
Fully cooked turkey gravy... free with bird...eh... 10 cents of flour
Cranberry Sauce 75 cents
Apple Cobbler $4


must be nice not having to do the work...

Not sure where you got your make believe prices but a 13lb turkey doesnt run 7 dollars unless its dolphin. As well as the rest of your prices are pretty lame if you want to slander a thread at least put up prices that are more similar to what it costs.
Like to know where a 3lb cobbler is for $4 as well. Not going to nit pik your number because there all wrong. 10 cents for 1.5 of stuffing? I'm glad I wont be eating your crappy food.
Quote:

Originally Posted by phillylex (Post 54489040)
To the people saying they can feed 12-14 people on Thanksgiving for $20, remind me to never eat at your house.

100% Agreed

mr_rolla 11-05-2012 12:36 PM

Anyone take a look at the nutritional info that's posted on the page?
They list 3 oz of turkey and 2 tbsp of gravy as one "serving size".

If you eat the recommended serving size of everything in the meal it comes to a lowly 1055 calories. :drool:

Mr.Ritz 11-05-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate650 (Post 54487964)
Your prices seem exaggerated toward the lower side. Did you take into account 12-14 servings? Also where do you get a turkey for $7? I know prices can range tremendously based on quality. For example a local farm charges $105 for a 13-15 pound pasture-raised turkey which is essentially the highest quality available. That comes out to ~7.50/lb.

Still can make it cheaper for 10 people.

I could prob do 10 people for about 70 dollars.. You have to keep in mind a ton of thanksgiving stuff goes on sale too around this time

Ringo44 11-05-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate650 (Post 54487964)
Your prices seem exaggerated toward the lower side. Did you take into account 12-14 servings? Also where do you get a turkey for $7? I know prices can range tremendously based on quality. For example a local farm charges $105 for a 13-15 pound pasture-raised turkey which is essentially the highest quality available. That comes out to ~7.50/lb.


Butterball turkey-Up to 22 lbs-$10 at local Safeway/Vons with min $75 purchase...Save the $95 from the pasture-raised bird to buy all the other fixings (and a nice Brandy for after dessert)

MikesPimpHand 11-05-2012 12:53 PM

Seems like a decent deal imho....BUT, a 14 lb turkey for 12-14 people?!?! NO WAY is that enough bird for MY family.....I always suggest 1.5-2 lbs / person if you want any leftovers.......The easy way to solve this would be to buy one of these packages, and then ALSO make a medium size turkey breast (meat only...real easy) in your home oven to go with it.

las2ams 11-05-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillylex (Post 54489040)
To the people saying they can feed 12-14 people on Thanksgiving for $20, remind me to never eat at your house.

I'm not arguing or agreeing that you could feed 12-14 people for $20, I'm arguing/agreeing that you could replicate the meal Costco's selling for about $20 (slightly more if you live in a pricier market). Whole turkeys are selling for .77/lb at Walmart; Stove Top stuffing, Heinz gravy and Oceanspray Cranberry Sauce are selling for 25c-50c (after coupons) in grocery stores like Kroger; Sufferer's Family Size Holiday sides are selling for $2.50-$3.50 after coupon (or skimp and buy instant potatoes for $1 or less); and sweet potatoes will drop to less than 50c/lb. Just add your favorite pre-made dessert for $3-$4.

Is this the most tasty Thanksgiving dinner? No. Is it the healthiest? No. But is it good? Yes, and the quality/taste will be on-par with that of Costco's meal. You're certainly not getting gourmet food, let alone a $100 turkey, from Costco.

Is the Costco deal a good deal? If you're willing to cook your food, no. But if your family stresses out, then absolutely.

iluvmysh 11-05-2012 12:57 PM

making it is one thing. the deal is about the prepared meal in itself. if you can find a cheaper (similar quality) meal than the costco deal, discuss. if not, this isn't about what you can make for $10.

extreme couponers and extreme cheapskates would be laughing at us. they could probably make their thanksgiving dinner for free and then somehow make money off of it.

kevroc 11-05-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillylex (Post 54489040)
To the people saying they can feed 12-14 people on Thanksgiving for $20, remind me to never eat at your house.

+1 to this.

dooboo 11-05-2012 01:34 PM

Wonder if I can return this meal, after caving it down on Thanksgiving day...and tell them, "it was terrible" only show up with bones and cleaned plates.

LOL

Good deal, if you value you time. If we all eat like slickdeals, then we would never eat at any rest....cause we can all make it cheaper at home.

lerlerler 11-05-2012 01:41 PM

No threadcrapping here. But a wee bit of clarification, I 'd bet I can make a from scratch fab dinner for 10 for $40. it's the meal that impresses so many people and although it's a lot of prep, it's my one time of year to impress folks that I invite and then each family usually invites me out to dinner later in the month to say thanks for a great meal.... a SD if there was one.

Whole cranberries made into sauce. Yams. Mashed garlic potatoes. turkey. green beans. pie - i let the guests bring more dessert/salad/apps

Kumicho 11-05-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringo44 (Post 54489734)
Butterball turkey-Up to 22 lbs-$10 at local Safeway/Vons with min $75 purchase...Save the $95 from the pasture-raised bird to buy all the other fixings (and a nice Brandy for after dessert)

This. Or "free" after spending XXX amount in the month or two ahead of time. We used to get ~2 free turkeys at A&P every year just in buying normal groceries throughout the fall. And I can guarantee you that the $120 Costco turkey isn't a $7.50/lb free-range, freshly-killed bird...

We get a freshly killed turkey through our local butcher for ~$1.80/lb ($2/lb?), and the rest of the meal couldn't cost more than $15-20 or so. Make your guests in charge of wine and *poof* there goes the most expensive part of your dinner. It would be easy to cook a better meal than you'd get at Costco for probably $30-40. $20 would be a stretch unless you're getting a free turkey from your grocery store.

Btw, your $0.75 on cranberry sauce doesn't mean much when you split it 12-14 ways... :lmao:

Nate650 11-05-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringo44 (Post 54489734)
Butterball turkey-Up to 22 lbs-$10 at local Safeway/Vons with min $75 purchase...Save the $95 from the pasture-raised bird to buy all the other fixings (and a nice Brandy for after dessert)

I'd rather spend the additional $95 for a once a year event, and here [butterballabuse.com] is one reason why (warning: graphic).

ducky2802 11-05-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumicho (Post 54491270)
Btw, your $0.75 on cranberry sauce doesn't mean much when you split it 12-14 ways... :lmao:

I concur. I take about half to a full jar alone... http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3rnfcp/

krazyshopper 11-05-2012 02:14 PM

I think this is an awesome deal. If I were to cook it myself. It would take ton of work and cost way more than 150 I think. I'm not the best budget cook though.

cyctem05 11-05-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryWinkler187 (Post 54485436)
Screw cooking, thanksgiving is meant to be enjoyed by drinking ALOT of alcohol and puking.

preach!

krazyshopper 11-05-2012 02:15 PM

Anyone suggest the best day to purchase this to make sure its here for thanksgiving? But not shipped to early?

danull 11-05-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate650 (Post 54487964)
Your prices seem exaggerated toward the lower side. Did you take into account 12-14 servings? Also where do you get a turkey for $7? I know prices can range tremendously based on quality. For example a local farm charges $105 for a 13-15 pound pasture-raised turkey which is essentially the highest quality available. That comes out to ~7.50/lb.

To bag a turkey it is 7 bucks for a coon skin cap and a single shotgun shell out in his neck of the woods, boy howdy

Kumicho 11-05-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danull (Post 54491952)
To bag a turkey it is 7 bucks for a coon skin cap and a single shotgun shell out in his neck of the woods, boy howdy

"Dinner is served! We think we got all of the shot out, but if you find one, you win first go at the cousin-kissin' contest!"

phillylex 11-05-2012 02:36 PM

Cooking for a large crowd on Thanksgiving can definitely be stressful, I think especially because most guests will expect certain dishes and expect them to look/taste/smell a certain way. Thats' why this year I'm throwing a curve and doing an epic Thanksgiving dinner [youtube.com] (warning: excessive Canadian accents and doucheness)

phillylex 11-05-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazyshopper (Post 54491944)
Anyone suggest the best day to purchase this to make sure its here for thanksgiving? But not shipped to early?

Looks as though you can pick a date:

Quote:

Your item will arrive on or before the Preferred arrival date, if one was selected. Please refrigerate or freeze immediately upon arrival if your item requires to be refrigerated or frozen

freelance 11-05-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbm4l1fe (Post 54484268)
so much money!
ill make it all for around $20

Yes, you can. I have done it on a yearly basis. You don't even have to cook some of this stuff or settle for their choice of dessert.

20lb turkey from Safeway = $5 to $7
2lb bags of Frozen beans = $2 - $3
2 boxes of Stuffing i = $2
3lbs Sweet potatoes = $2 (they sell for roughly 0.50lb)
5 lb bag of potatoes = $1.50 (most of our supermarkets)
2 cans of cranberry sauce = $2
2 jars of turkey gravy = $2 to $3 (unless you make your own, then minus this number)
Apple Cobbler in Freezer section = $3

On the low end, $19.50

Now if you don't know how to cook (or how easy it is to make this stuff) then buying already made and paying premium price for such inexpensive ingredients may be the only option for some people.

On a personal note: One year we decided to get the full package from Safeway and save time. After following all the instructions to make everything hot and ready to serve, we had spent a lot of time in the kitchen. To make matters worse, everyone complained about what an awful meal that was (tasteless) - All our guest agreed we should never do that again. It truly was awful.

Maybe Costco's is more flavorful, but that is a lot of money to find out.

Musgo 11-05-2012 03:02 PM

this saves all the hassle of cleanning up after :O

Nate650 11-05-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by las2ams (Post 54489788)
I'm not arguing or agreeing that you could feed 12-14 people for $20, I'm arguing/agreeing that you could replicate the meal Costco's selling for about $20 (slightly more if you live in a pricier market). Whole turkeys are selling for .77/lb at Walmart; Stove Top stuffing, Heinz gravy and Oceanspray Cranberry Sauce are selling for 25c-50c (after coupons) in grocery stores like Kroger; Sufferer's Family Size Holiday sides are selling for $2.50-$3.50 after coupon (or skimp and buy instant potatoes for $1 or less); and sweet potatoes will drop to less than 50c/lb. Just add your favorite pre-made dessert for $3-$4.

Is this the most tasty Thanksgiving dinner? No. Is it the healthiest? No. But is it good? Yes, and the quality/taste will be on-par with that of Costco's meal. You're certainly not getting gourmet food, let alone a $100 turkey, from Costco.

Is the Costco deal a good deal? If you're willing to cook your food, no. But if your family stresses out, then absolutely.

I'm fairly confident the Costco dinner is of higher quality than Stove Top, Heinz gravy, Stouffer's etc., so comparing only the price isn't an accurate comparison.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelance (Post 54492702)
Yes, you can. I have done it on a yearly basis. You don't even have to cook some of this stuff or settle for their choice of dessert.

20lb turkey from Safeway = $5 to $7
2lb bags of Frozen beans = $2 - $3
2 boxes of Stuffing i = $2
3lbs Sweet potatoes = $2 (they sell for roughly 0.50lb)
5 lb bag of potatoes = $1.50 (most of our supermarkets)
2 cans of cranberry sauce = $2
2 jars of turkey gravy = $2 to $3 (unless you make your own, then minus this number)
Apple Cobbler in Freezer section = $3

On the low end, $19.50

Now if you don't know how to cook (or how easy it is to make this stuff) then buying already made and paying premium price for such inexpensive ingredients may be the only option for some people.

On a personal note: One year we decided to get the full package from Safeway and save time. After following all the instructions to make everything hot and ready to serve, we had spent a lot of time in the kitchen. To make matters worse, everyone complained about what an awful meal that was (tasteless) - All our guest agreed we should never do that again. It truly was awful.

Maybe Costco's is more flavorful, but that is a lot of money to find out.

Using a box of Stove Top stuffing is hardly "cooking." Such products aren't real food. Example (Stove Top stuffing, "Traditional Sage"):

Ingredients: ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, ONIONS*, SALT, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, COOKED CHICKEN AND CHICKEN BROTH, CARROTS*, YEAST, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, CELERY*, SPICE, PARSLEY*, CARAMEL COLOR, NATURAL FLAVOR, YEAST EXTRACT, SUGAR, TURMERIC, CHICKEN FAT, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, WITH BHA, BHT, PROPYL GALLATE, AND CITRIC ACID AS PRESERVATIVES. *DRIED. CONTAINS: WHEAT, SOY.

I don't think a home cooked Thanksgiving meal should contain crap like trans fat and high fructose corn syrup.

oshetitzminh 11-05-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryWinkler187 (Post 54485436)
Have fun with that. I'll be drinking heavily, watching football, getting into fist fight with brother and maybe playing darts or something all day. Screw cooking, thanksgiving is meant to be enjoyed by drinking ALOT of alcohol and puking.

AMEN.... Rep for that lol

mkxr 11-05-2012 03:40 PM

Sure you can make this cheaper yourself, but this is a great alternative for people who are busy, or have a work schedule that won't allow them to spend a whole day cooking.

As an alternative, if you have a local costco nearby, you can get 25 rotisserie chickens for the same price :)

mgny89 11-05-2012 03:45 PM

what are the odds that all of it is loaded with MSG????

redmaxx 11-05-2012 03:45 PM

Hey, it's Costco. If you don't like it, just take the leftovers in with your receipt for a full refund! ;)

mkxr 11-05-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmaxx (Post 54494186)
Hey, it's Costco. If you don't like it, just take the leftovers in with your receipt for a full refund! ;)

Lol, "sir, these bones are hard to chew, and swallow, so I want my money back"

Nate650 11-05-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgny89 (Post 54494168)
what are the odds that all of it is loaded with MSG????

Good question. I would say the odds are in your favor as Costco does have food quality standards. I emailed them not too long ago and asked about the items in the food court and received this response:

"Costco’s buying specification is for all food court items to be MSG-free. No high fructose corn syrup, no artificial dyes or flavors, no gluten, no animal products."

Their pizza dough for example contains only:
Flour, water, olive oil, sugar, salt, yeast.

The "no animal products" confused me since the pepperoni on their pizza is obviously an animal product.

However I'm not sure if these standards extend to this Thanksgiving meal. It would be nice for Costco to provide ingredient lists.

mgny89 11-05-2012 03:59 PM

MSG-Free is not always MSG-Free... In the costco food court here, they sell hebrew national hot dogs in their food court which contain hydrolyzed soy protein according to the ingredient list here

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/...-Frank.htm

As those who suffer reactions know that there are many different names out there for it that still make their way into many foods...

Bottom line is nothing beats a real homecooked meal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate650 (Post 54494396)
Good question. I would say the odds are in your favor as Costco does have food quality standards. I emailed them not too long ago and asked about the items in the food court and received this response:

"Costco’s buying specification is for all food court items to be MSG-free. No high fructose corn syrup, no artificial dyes or flavors, no gluten, no animal products."

Their pizza dough for example contains only:
Flour, water, olive oil, sugar, salt, yeast.

The "no animal products" confused me since the pepperoni on their pizza is obviously an animal product.

However I'm not sure if these standards extend to this Thanksgiving meal. It would be nice for Costco to provide ingredient lists.


danimarie 11-05-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate650 (Post 54494396)
Good question. I would say the odds are in your favor as Costco does have food quality standards. I emailed them not too long ago and asked about the items in the food court and received this response:

"Costco’s buying specification is for all food court items to be MSG-free. No high fructose corn syrup, no artificial dyes or flavors, no gluten, no animal products."

Their pizza dough for example contains only:
Flour, water, olive oil, sugar, salt, yeast.

The "no animal products" confused me since the pepperoni on their pizza is obviously an animal product.

However I'm not sure if these standards extend to this Thanksgiving meal. It would be nice for Costco to provide ingredient lists.

There is a link you can click under the product features to view the nutritional info and ingredients.


I got in on this because right now we're in a rental house with a tiny, really crappy oven and a crappy stove. Were I to make the meal from scratch, it would be more nutritious and delicious 'cause I kick ass in the kitchen. And it would cost a lot less, too. But I've been generally satisfied with Costco's pre-made stuff, so this year I'll hope for less of a headache than last year. I can't wait to own my own home next year!

Nate650 11-05-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgny89 (Post 54494562)
MSG-Free is not always MSG-Free... In the costco food court here, they sell hebrew national hot dogs in their food court which contain hydrolyzed soy protein according to the ingredient list here

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/...-Frank.htm

As those who suffer reactions know that there are many different names out there for it that still make their way into many foods...

Bottom line is nothing beats a real homecooked meal.

Agree, though "homecooked" itself doesn't mean much. Homecooked from scratch (using real, whole ingredients) on the other hand does but of course is more time consuming but more rewarding.

dumars 11-05-2012 04:13 PM

I bought these premade dinners in the past but after you cook the turkey and reheat everything else its not much less hassle or less time consuming then just making everything yourself (still need to dirty bunch of pans either way) for about 25% OF THE COST - now if I could pick this meal up on Thanksgiving and everything was warm and ready to serve- different story.

Nate650 11-05-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danimarie (Post 54494836)
There is a link you can click under the product features to view the nutritional info and ingredients.


I got in on this because right now we're in a rental house with a tiny, really crappy oven and a crappy stove. Were I to make the meal from scratch, it would be more nutritious and delicious 'cause I kick ass in the kitchen. And it would cost a lot less, too. But I've been generally satisfied with Costco's pre-made stuff, so this year I'll hope for less of a headache than last year. I can't wait to own my own home next year!

Thanks, I missed that. I skimmed through the ingredient lists and sadly the mashed potatoes contain trans fat, so you're not getting anything special here and the price seems like it's more for the labor involved. Other items also contain artificial preservatives and colors.

Ingredient lists and nutrition info [costco.com]

danimarie 11-05-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate650 (Post 54494956)
Thanks, I missed that. I skimmed through the ingredient lists and sadly the mashed potatoes contain trans fat, so you're not getting anything special here and the price seems like it's more for the labor involved. Other items also contain artificial preservatives and colors.

Ingredient lists and nutrition info [costco.com]

Several items also have artificial colors and/or flavorings. These are why I make pretty much everything from scratch. But, it has to be better than last year's fiasco of half raw, half burnt turkey. I'll be happy if it's at least edible. I figure if I keep expectations low, it'll be great.

Nate650 11-05-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danimarie (Post 54495108)
Several items also have artificial colors and/or flavorings. These are why I make pretty much everything from scratch. But, it has to be better than last year's fiasco of half raw, half burnt turkey. I'll be happy if it's at least edible. I figure if I keep expectations low, it'll be great.

Haha, sorry to hear about last year's outcome. Hope it turns out better this year. Also glad to see some SDers care about food quality. :)

Here's [foodnetwork.com] a recipe from the master Alton Brown himself to help you out. Hopefully the problem you had last year is not specific to your oven.

Alexxis 11-05-2012 04:47 PM

Thanks for posting. I make my own because I love to play hostess and cook from scratch. But, be careful of this ... No way will a 14 lb bird feed 12-14 people. At least 5 lbs is carcass and yes, the serving size is 3 oz. but I would be embarrassed if that's all I had to serve on the biggest feast day of the year!

Cheers!

jnelson369 11-05-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

..ill keep my $130

turkey $7
stuffing $2
sweet potatoes $3
Fully cooked garlic mashed potatoes $3
Fully cooked turkey gravy... free with bird...eh... 10 cents of flour
Cranberry Sauce 75 cents
Apple Cobbler $4
For those prices, let me know where. I'd love to find a turkey that feeds 14 people for the price of your whole meal.

pseudoswede 11-05-2012 05:04 PM

Our local Costcos for the past 2-3 years have been selling pre-brined/seasoned turkey breasts already thawed/prepped and loaded with loads of veggies on the bottom of the foil tray. They've been great for 6-8 people.

mudphud 11-05-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelance (Post 54492702)
Yes, you can. I have done it on a yearly basis. You don't even have to cook some of this stuff or settle for their choice of dessert.

20lb turkey from Safeway = $5 to $7
2lb bags of Frozen beans = $2 - $3
2 boxes of Stuffing i = $2
3lbs Sweet potatoes = $2 (they sell for roughly 0.50lb)
5 lb bag of potatoes = $1.50 (most of our supermarkets)
2 cans of cranberry sauce = $2
2 jars of turkey gravy = $2 to $3 (unless you make your own, then minus this number)
Apple Cobbler in Freezer section = $3

On the low end, $19.50

Now if you don't know how to cook (or how easy it is to make this stuff) then buying already made and paying premium price for such inexpensive ingredients may be the only option for some people.

Maybe Costco's is more flavorful, but that is a lot of money to find out.

I'm sure you can make a good meal for less than $150 as you are paying for the convenience, but these lists are just silly. Not only do they assume the cheapest prices but they don't include anything you need to cook with. Things like butter aren't free. Or are your mashed potatoes just potatoes and you just eat the stuffing from the box, ect?

We always do home cooked at my house but I'd take the costco meal over the everything from a can, box, or freezer meal :vomit:.

dejeckt 11-05-2012 05:10 PM

How does the delivery work? I kinda assumed it be preferable pick it up from a local Costco day before Thanksgiving...how does delivery work for this (sorry, first time trying to plan out Turkey day). I rather pay $150 then risking deepfrying a turkey that hasn't been fully thawed.

mudphud 11-05-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexxis (Post 54495724)
Thanks for posting. I make my own because I love to play hostess and cook from scratch. But, be careful of this ... No way will a 14 lb bird feed 12-14 people. At least 5 lbs is carcass and yes, the serving size is 3 oz. but I would be embarrassed if that's all I had to serve on the biggest feast day of the year!

Cheers!

Don't forget it is cooked weight. Even if you subtract 5 lbs for the inedible parts you are left with 9 lbs which is over 10 oz per person (assuming 14 people) which I would say is a pretty reasonable portion.

wp746911 11-05-2012 06:18 PM

Please for the love of everything holy, don't feed your family costco food for thanksgiving. Any other day, sure, but not thanksgiving (unless you are a single male). I make pretty much EVERYTHING from scratch (except some of the chicken broth- gotta stop somewhere). I'm feeding 8-10 people-rough costs for homemade:
15lb turkey (cheap one at store deal) $8 (better is $20--30+ if you want to brine your own)
Gravy- $2 maybe
Rolls (homemade parkerhouse style)- $5
Mashed Potatoes- $5
Dressing (bread crumbs, onions, cornbread, broth, etc)- $7
Aspargus Casserole-$10
Rum Bread Pudding- $15
Cranberry Apple pie- $15

Grand total of $67 very very very roughly- for meal which will blow the socks off any other store bought meal- about as home cooked as you get these days. No premade dressing mix crap (if you want a recipe, I will give it- real homemade dressing+ gravy is insanely better). If I wanted to splurge, I could go around $100.

Get your costco meal, I don't care. Just don't think you are getting a nice meal.

Granted I love to cook (it's relaxing- versus my high stress job) so I would do it even if it costs more- but I'd say a nice HOME cooked meal + family + football=thanksgiving for me. Anything less=not. Enjoy your costco meal.

LG-G3 11-05-2012 06:52 PM

We get it, some of you know how to cook. Good for you.

artikgrau325is 11-05-2012 07:28 PM

I don't know how to cook (Thanksgiving food staples anyways), I can make quite a few other random dishes I made up on a whim, so this prepackaged deal is appealing to me. New homeowner and having my first Thanksgiving on my own puts a lot of stress on making sure things will turn out good. Currently scouring the internet for good recipes at the moment :)

ducky2802 11-05-2012 07:43 PM

True SD'ers would get this delivered to BB, wally world, or whatever store they are camping out at since wed.

miajonda 11-05-2012 07:53 PM

I consider myself as a fairly good cook, but the way some of these "cooking" people come off as is very snobbish or even arrogant.

Listen, not everyone likes to cook. Not everyone likes to cook for Thanksgiving considering the amount of work and time that goes into it.

By the way, I value my hour pretty highly, so if I decided to cook like some of you say, it'll be pretty damn expensive food.

tukwok 11-05-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillylex (Post 54489040)
To the people saying they can feed 12-14 people on Thanksgiving for $20, remind me to never eat at your house.

I wouldn't doubt extreme couponers ability. I however cringe at the thought of risk of food safety from the hours it takes those on TV to get their refrigerated items back to their fridge- get items, ring up, coupons, travel, and placement in fridge.

cajunasian 11-05-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wp746911 (Post 54498370)
Please for the love of everything holy, don't feed your family costco food for thanksgiving. Any other day, sure, but not thanksgiving (unless you are a single male). I make pretty much EVERYTHING from scratch (except some of the chicken broth- gotta stop somewhere). I'm feeding 8-10 people-rough costs for homemade:
15lb turkey (cheap one at store deal) $8 (better is $20--30+ if you want to brine your own)
Gravy- $2 maybe
Rolls (homemade parkerhouse style)- $5
Mashed Potatoes- $5
Dressing (bread crumbs, onions, cornbread, broth, etc)- $7
Aspargus Casserole-$10
Rum Bread Pudding- $15
Cranberry Apple pie- $15

Grand total of $67 very very very roughly- for meal which will blow the socks off any other store bought meal- about as home cooked as you get these days. No premade dressing mix crap (if you want a recipe, I will give it- real homemade dressing+ gravy is insanely better). If I wanted to splurge, I could go around $100.

Get your costco meal, I don't care. Just don't think you are getting a nice meal.

Granted I love to cook (it's relaxing- versus my high stress job) so I would do it even if it costs more- but I'd say a nice HOME cooked meal + family + football=thanksgiving for me. Anything less=not. Enjoy your costco meal.

Dont forget Rosemary,thyme,bay leaves, butter, flour, sugar, garlic,chicken broth, oil, alumininumnm foil, electricity or gas for stove/oven, roasting pan, and a bunch of other items which will bring your true overhead up as well as time to get in your car and go to store and buy all these items. If you have the skills to do this from scratch, you should have skills to take a Costco precooked dinner & kick it up a knotch. BAMMM! $=Time Thanks OP!!! I will be taking credit for cooking an amazing dinner pre-cooked and shipped to my doorsteps in a cooler! (Add a little tony chacherie seasoning is all it takes)

Panduhsaur 11-05-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz (Post 54489322)
Still can make it cheaper for 10 people.

I could prob do 10 people for about 70 dollars.. You have to keep in mind a ton of thanksgiving stuff goes on sale too around this time

You mean regular prices get marked up, then put on "sale"?

Mystereevan 11-05-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorolaRazrHD (Post 54499238)
We get it, some of you know how to cook. Good for you.

Amen. Don't wanna set fire to my apartment on Thanksgiving

jarvis131 11-05-2012 11:53 PM

Wow, thanks for that Facebook link to sync Amex with Costco - I have Amex Costco card and shop there regularly anyways, so $25 credit would be awesome! Not sure that I'd get the 14-person Thanksgiving meal, but thumbs up anyway just for the facebook info.

Just signed up for SD not 30 minutes ago, but already got 2 free PC game downloads, applied for a Barclay's home team Football MC with $400 statement credit, and essentially free $25 just for shopping at Costco... I LOVE YOU SLICKDEALS!!! :worship:

shoppinqueen 11-06-2012 12:02 AM

I can cook or pick up a 7-3 shift at work for overtime. I'll take the overtime pay & this Costco deal isn't bad, I've had a lot of their prepared meal items from their deli & they really are pretty good.

Zodiacs 11-06-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wp746911 (Post 54498370)
Please for the love of everything holy, don't feed your family costco food for thanksgiving. Any other day, sure, but not thanksgiving (unless you are a single male). I make pretty much EVERYTHING from scratch (except some of the chicken broth- gotta stop somewhere). I'm feeding 8-10 people-rough costs for homemade:
15lb turkey (cheap one at store deal) $8 (better is $20--30+ if you want to brine your own)
Gravy- $2 maybe
Rolls (homemade parkerhouse style)- $5
Mashed Potatoes- $5
Dressing (bread crumbs, onions, cornbread, broth, etc)- $7
Aspargus Casserole-$10
Rum Bread Pudding- $15
Cranberry Apple pie- $15

Grand total of $67 very very very roughly- for meal which will blow the socks off any other store bought meal- about as home cooked as you get these days. No premade dressing mix crap (if you want a recipe, I will give it- real homemade dressing+ gravy is insanely better). If I wanted to splurge, I could go around $100.

Get your costco meal, I don't care. Just don't think you are getting a nice meal.

Granted I love to cook (it's relaxing- versus my high stress job) so I would do it even if it costs more- but I'd say a nice HOME cooked meal + family + football=thanksgiving for me. Anything less=not. Enjoy your costco meal.

Can I have an invite to dinner? BTW I like how you called it "dressing" instead of "stuffing," you must be from the south.

garycoleman 11-06-2012 12:28 AM

This Costco meal is probably cheaper and taste better than what most of you cook

eggsalad 11-06-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgny89 (Post 54494168)
what are the odds that all of it is loaded with MSG????

So you wanna be the one person on earth who lives forever?

Quote:

Originally Posted by garycoleman (Post 54505616)
This Costco meal is probably cheaper and taste better than what most of you cook

you bitch :lol:

iBoo 11-06-2012 12:34 AM

Thanksgiving is free for me.

I go to those places for free wood :laugh

tukwok 11-06-2012 12:40 AM

Don't most guests usually bring something to the holiday dinner? All of the ones I've experienced were potluck.

LG-G3 11-06-2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tukwok (Post 54505696)
Don't most guests usually bring something to the holiday dinner? All of the ones I've experienced were potluck.

Every family is different.

mikejnpc 11-06-2012 05:42 AM

Oh man the comments in this thread cracked me up.

Actually for the people debating a 7.00 turkey.. lol

on thanksgiving Ralphs etc.. Major groceries have it for 50 cent a pound. Pick up a few on the day of and off set your total cost.
I generally make 2..

elsporko321 11-06-2012 06:13 AM

If its anything like the rest of Costco's deli foods, then i'd bet its a pretty good meal. Some people have the skills to turn typical grocery into gourmet meals, but part of being a great cook is selecting the right ingredients. There are certain things you can skimp on without a huge effect on the finished product, but other things you cannot. The difference between this deal and someone trying to replicate it with Stovetop, Heinz, etc. (mentioned in this thread) is that they can get ahold of ingredients used in food service. You can try all you like, but there are just certain things that will never be as good if you don't start with better ingredients.

I think this is a good deal, but would probably supplement it with a nice home-made dessert (or two): 1) Banana pudding (the dessert of champions, hard to mess up, easy to make from scratch) and 2) some type of cheesecake.

iluvmysh 11-06-2012 06:36 AM

do most of you actually do the cooking or presume the ingredients that go in to a thanksgiving are that simple?

do you not know the price of spices, cream, butter, stock, etc costs?
i spent $50 on stock just the other day.
generally each year, i make a full on meal for 20+ with leftovers. ~$200 no stovetop here.

and if anyone deep fries their turkey, oil alone is $50!

mpkb 11-06-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyndhamscams (Post 54489252)
Not sure where you got your make believe prices but a 13lb turkey doesnt run 7 dollars unless its dolphin.

Ugh... just lost my appetite

PhantasmX 11-06-2012 08:34 AM

This feast will easily feed 12 to 14 more guests
Each dinner comes with:
Fully cooked turkey - min 14 lbs
Fully cooked cornbread stuffing - 3lbs
Fully cooked green beans - 3lbs
Fully cooked sweet potatoes - 3lbs
Fully cooked garlic mashed potatoes - 3lbs
Fully cooked turkey gravy - 1.5lbs
Cranberry Sauce 1lb
Apple Cobbler 3lbs



That's a lot of money for mostly veggie sides.

wp746911 11-06-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiacs (Post 54505518)
Can I have an invite to dinner? BTW I like how you called it "dressing" instead of "stuffing," you must be from the south.

Yep- very observant- originally from MS, now in TX. It's guaranteed to be a gut busting coma inducing meal. Most of the recipes are old family recipes- the deserts are mine (well from southern living). I'm a dude and love to cook.

Nate650 11-06-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wp746911 (Post 54515988)
Yep- very observant- originally from MS, now in TX. It's guaranteed to be a gut busting coma inducing meal. Most of the recipes are old family recipes- the deserts are mine (well from southern living). I'm a dude and love to cook.

Cool, I love old original recipes handed down from past generations as I feel the best food is traditional food, both in terms of taste and health. Can you share some?

freelance 11-06-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudphud (Post 54496170)
I'm sure you can make a good meal for less than $150 as you are paying for the convenience, but these lists are just silly. Not only do they assume the cheapest prices but they don't include anything you need to cook with. Things like butter aren't free. Or are your mashed potatoes just potatoes and you just eat the stuffing from the box, ect?

We always do home cooked at my house but I'd take the costco meal over the everything from a can, box, or freezer meal :vomit:.

I am not arguing with you.

These are my local prices right now. Butter? about $2.00 and won't use all 4 sticks.
Milk we always have, it is not a special purchase.
Mashed potatoes are from scratch in this house.
I simply included the prices of boxed items for those who don't want to make that stuff themselves (hence spending $150 on the meal prepared somewhere else)

You can buy the convenience for $150 - I have already gone that route (via supermarket) one year and won't do that again.

Quite a few people are not used to cooking their own meals and the idea of undertaking this endeavor for the first time may seem daunting. It is good for them to have prices and realize how simple this particular meal is to cook.

Anyway. To each its own. Plenty of people here have offered helpful links and ideas to save money.

iBoo 11-06-2012 01:51 PM

Do they ship with the everything ready to eat or we cook it ourselves

green_key 11-06-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iBoo (Post 54523466)
Do they ship with the everything ready to eat or we cook it ourselves

everything is already fully cooked, you just need to re-heat in their container. According to review, 14 pound turkey reheat takes about 1-2 hours (?) ...but you had better follow costco's actual instruction. Per review, most people highly recommend the turkey. This is no surprise since their deli cooked chicken is fantastics....ahem, turkey is similar/cousin to chicken, right?

kris259 11-06-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_key (Post 54527662)
everything is already fully cooked, you just need to re-heat in their container. According to review, 14 pound turkey reheat takes about 1-2 hours (?) ...but you had better follow costco's actual instruction.

I wonder what kind of containers it comes in... the plastic type you see in microwave meals or what? or does it come in bags and you put it in your own pyrex/metal pans and heat in the oven etc... Im guessing thats prob how its done....

phillylex 11-06-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris259 (Post 54527730)
I wonder what kind of containers it comes in... the plastic type you see in microwave meals or what? or does it come in bags and you put it in your own pyrex/metal pans and heat in the oven etc... Im guessing thats prob how its done....

Have you considered reading the reviews on the Costco site?

Conformer101 11-06-2012 05:57 PM

Is it me, or is half the fun actually cooking the meal? I know, it's a boatload of work, but it just seems to cheapen the experience by getting it delivered.

Also, I know what fake foods/tastes I like - I can guarantee Costco won't be the same. :lol:

lerryjee 11-06-2012 06:11 PM

Good grief! I'm preparing for each of guests:

Two slices of buttered toast,
Some pretzel sticks,
A handful of popcorn, and
A few jelly beans.

kris259 11-06-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillylex (Post 54529266)
Have you considered reading the reviews on the Costco site?

sure but why read through all that for the answer when someone might have already done it for me and could answer here real quick like, isnt that what being a member of a web forum and posting in a thread is 1/2 about????... saving me time to do other things.... especially when I did a quick glance at the reviews pages 1 and 2 but didnt see anything about my specific ?......but thanks genius for the suggestion...:cool:

nutz 11-06-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbm4l1fe (Post 54484910)
..ill keep my $130

turkey $7
stuffing $2
sweet potatoes $3
Fully cooked garlic mashed potatoes $3
Fully cooked turkey gravy... free with bird...eh... 10 cents of flour
Cranberry Sauce 75 cents
Apple Cobbler $4


must be nice not having to do the work...

Give this guy a Darwin award already!

bbm4l1fe 11-06-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutz (Post 54532572)
Give this guy a Darwin award already!

well, the jerk store called, and they're running out of you

BTs4me 11-07-2012 12:59 AM

too bad most of this thread is just "more of the same." What I don't see mentioned about the convenience factor is that there are some that are unable to fully cook a Thanksgiving meal for their family (however big or small). Think of those that may not physically be able to cook a meal like this but still want a special day with their family (e.g., caregivers, the disabled, perhaps elderly, those working most of the day). It does have value for certain demographics even if it doesn't for you personally. Be thankful on Thanksgiving that you're well enough to endure the cooking from prep to clean up!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Mr.Ritz 11-07-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tukwok (Post 54505696)
Don't most guests usually bring something to the holiday dinner? All of the ones I've experienced were potluck.

What the hell.. no.no no... Everyone knows the women cook all day in the kitchen to make everyone happy.

dealbuzz12 11-07-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyndhamscams (Post 54489252)
Not sure where you got your make believe prices but a 13lb turkey doesnt run 7 dollars unless its dolphin. As well as the rest of your prices are pretty lame if you want to slander a thread at least put up prices that are more similar to what it costs.
Like to know where a 3lb cobbler is for $4 as well. Not going to nit pik your number because there all wrong. 10 cents for 1.5 of stuffing? I'm glad I wont be eating your crappy food.

100% Agreed

Yum! Dolphin! But I think dolphin would be more expensive. Give dolphin a little more credit.

kris259 11-07-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTs4me (Post 54537698)
too bad most of this thread is just "more of the same." What I don't see mentioned about the convenience factor is that there are some that are unable to fully cook a Thanksgiving meal for their family (however big or small). Think of those that may not physically be able to cook a meal like this but still want a special day with their family (e.g., caregivers, the disabled, perhaps elderly, those working most of the day). It does have value for certain demographics even if it doesn't for you personally. Be thankful on Thanksgiving that you're well enough to endure the cooking from prep to clean up!

Happy Thanksgiving!

my mother in law had shoulder surgery the other day and probably wont be able to cook anything.... cant mix or cut or etc.... so it looks more and more like this is a viable option... so I agree 100% with your post...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbm4l1fe (Post 54533252)
well, the jerk store called, and they're running out of you

dont ever do that again...:D I almost spit up my drink all over the keyboard!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealbuzz12 (Post 54538380)
Yum! Dolphin! But I think dolphin would be more expensive. Give dolphin a little more credit.

dolphin.... I mean wtf.... can you believe that was what was said... dolphins are just a few CC's short of brain size from taking over the planet... god forbid we start eating them to save a few bucks and a few turkeys...:(

bbm4l1fe 11-07-2012 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris259 (Post 54538928)
my mother in law had shoulder surgery the other day and probably wont be able to cook anything.... cant mix or cut or etc.... so it looks more and more like this is a viable option... so I agree 100% with your post...



dont ever do that again...:D I almost spit up my drink all over the keyboard!!!!



dolphin.... I mean wtf.... can you believe that was what was said... dolphins are just a few CC's short of brain size from taking over the planet... god forbid we start eating them to save a few bucks and a few turkeys...:(

`

my irl name is kris (with a k....,im a guy)

phillylex 11-07-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris259 (Post 54531532)
sure but why read through all that for the answer when someone might have already done it for me and could answer here real quick like, isnt that what being a member of a web forum and posting in a thread is 1/2 about????... saving me time to do other things.... especially when I did a quick glance at the reviews pages 1 and 2 but didnt see anything about my specific ?......but thanks genius for the suggestion...:cool:

Since you prefer to be spoon-fed, here you go instructions [costco.com]

kris259 11-07-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillylex (Post 54541536)
Since you prefer to be spoon-fed, here you go instructions [costco.com]

thanks youre such a wonderful person... spoon feeding me like that... gosh... I now have faith in humanity thanks to you....

AC3 11-07-2012 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbm4l1fe (Post 54484910)
..ill keep my $130

turkey $7
stuffing $2
sweet potatoes $3
Fully cooked garlic mashed potatoes $3
Fully cooked turkey gravy... free with bird...eh... 10 cents of flour
Cranberry Sauce 75 cents
Apple Cobbler $4


must be nice not having to do the work...

Serving roadkill this season, are ya? :yummy:

friedryce 11-11-2012 07:57 AM

Isn't the Safeway deal better than this?

http://weeklyspecials.safeway.com/Sa...b917325_18.jpg

green_key 11-11-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by friedryce (Post 54670890)
Isn't the Safeway deal better than this?

http://weeklyspecials.safeway.com/Sa...b917325_18.jpg

This only serve 6-8 people with mash potatoes as sides. Maybe you'll need to buy 2 of safeway....but I still much prefer costco deli and costco does has a lot more variety of sides and deserts..

watwat 11-11-2012 10:00 AM

Having to cook the turkey for 2-2.5 hours before serving basting every 30 minutes kind of take away the point of ordering this doesn't it?

green_key 11-11-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watwat (Post 54673568)
Having to cook the turkey for 2-2.5 hours before serving basting every 30 minutes kind of take away the point of ordering this doesn't it?

From what I heard, since I never cook such a big 14 pound bird from scratch, it needs overnight seasoning soaking in refrigerator, followed by 5-8 hours roasting... :rolleyes: ....costco deli never failed me before, I'll take my chances...

alief 11-11-2012 01:26 PM

As a veteran of pre-made Thanksgiving dinners from local grocery stores, I agree with other posters that it's a nice option. I usually pick mine up Thanksgiving day - don't have to store the large bird overnight in the fridge, goes from store to oven for more heating and boom, dinner.

One thing to keep in mind, sides are almost always on the bland side so need a little TLC from the cook.

This Costco deal is a bit different. First, the turkey is not made in the Costco deli. I called Costco for details and was told they are shipped by Ruprecht Company. Since your meal will be shipped to you, you'll be getting it prior to Thanksgiving Day and will need to make space in the fridge. On the plus side, looks like this deal feeds far more people and has more variety in side dishes they my usual.

I'm considering giving this a try but may stick with my local Sprouts. Whether you prefer to make all your own or go with this deal, I hope everyone's Thanksgiving dinner turns out tasty.

alief 11-19-2012 10:13 PM

Has anyone ordered this Costco Thanksgiving meal? I didn't get it this year but would really like to hear reviews from anyone who goes this route.

Nessy 11-20-2012 08:54 PM

Is this the meal or something like it?
LInk [houstonpress.com]

alief 11-20-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nessy (Post 55021772)
Is this the meal or something like it?
LInk [houstonpress.com]

No, that's not the deal in the original post. Different price, feeds fewer people, includes fewer dishes.

Nessy 11-20-2012 11:50 PM

Well that's why I said something like it. It could be the same company even.

green_key 11-21-2012 09:48 PM

For those who bought this deal, what is your review?

LG-G3 11-21-2012 09:48 PM

is it too late to buy


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:36 AM.


1999-2014