Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   3-Piece Cast Iron Basic Essentials Fry Pan Set $13.75 with free in-store pick up at Sears (http://slickdeals.net/f/5477738-3-piece-cast-iron-basic-essentials-fry-pan-set-13-75-with-free-in-store-pick-up-at-sears)

brisar 11-11-2012 06:46 AM

3-Piece Cast Iron Basic Essentials Fry Pan Set $13.75 with free in-store pick up at Sears
 
1 Attachment(s)
Sears

3-Piece Cast Iron Basic Essentials Fry Pan Set
[sears.com]

$13.75 w/ promo code GREATGIFTS

Free in-store pick up

yuugotserved 11-11-2012 06:46 AM

3-Piece Basic Essentials Cast Iron Fry Pan Set $14 + Free Store Pickup
 
1 Attachment(s)
Sears has 3-Piece Cast Iron Basic Essentials Fry Pan Set for $13.76 after applying promo code GREATGIFTS with free store pickup. Thanks brisar

wikipost 11-11-2012 06:46 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)
 
6, 8- and 10-inch pans

brisar 11-11-2012 06:52 AM

They are $23.50 at Amazon [amazon.com]

lolly67 11-11-2012 07:53 AM

I love cast iron! Use them on my gas grill, plopped on logs in fireplace when we've lost power for days in a storm, and yes I used them on my smoothtop stove - no need for the expensive enameled pans, just don't slide them back and forth on the smoothtop, keep them in place...

MTwallet 11-11-2012 08:00 AM

6, 8- and 10-inch pans

travfar 11-11-2012 08:09 AM

NVM dude.

jbgrant 11-11-2012 08:29 AM

These have a ship weight of 10lbs, so they are likely of good usable quality if you are looking for a small cast iron set to complement your larger pans like me. Nice find.

DealaMeal 11-11-2012 08:41 AM

if you want to make your cast iron non-stick you need to do this. While it wont be completely non-stick it will be damn close. http://www.instructables.com/id/B...n-at-Once/ Just dont leave eggs unattended for about 10 minutes.

Mike_Hawk 11-11-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brisar (Post 54669124)
They are $23.50 at Amazon [amazon.com]

I hate having to drive to sears, so this is almost worth it for me, :lol:

Oh and a great vid on how to season. I :love: Hilah. If you like dry humor, big bewbs, and a gal that drinks, Hilah is for you :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxS4sIW-Ja0

travfar 11-11-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DealaMeal (Post 54671784)
if you want to make your cast iron non-stick you need to do this. While it wont be completely non-stick it will be damn close. http://www.instructables.com/id/B...n-at-Once/ Just dont leave eggs unattended for about 10 minutes.

These are already seasoned.

ujica 11-11-2012 08:52 AM

Thanks for the deal.

ob1pad01 11-11-2012 08:53 AM

In 4 a set. Perfect for my grill.

huevos 11-11-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travfar (Post 54671964)
These are already seasoned.

Seasoning from the factory on any cast iron pan is pretty ineffective in general. To truly get the non-stick aspect, you need to season it yourself using several coats of a relatively high-temperature oil.

TeflonDon 11-11-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DealaMeal (Post 54671784)
if you want to make your cast iron non-stick you need to do this. While it wont be completely non-stick it will be damn close. http://www.instructables.com/id/B...n-at-Once/ Just dont leave eggs unattended for about 10 minutes.

That should help but these are preseasoned and will become even more nonstick over time anyway as you cook with it, I'd find doing that process 7 times to be tedious given you could just cook with it for a week or two. If you wait until the pan is warm to cook and use fat to cook it should be fairly nonstick anyway even if poorly seasoned.

9kckwhss 11-11-2012 09:05 AM

Made in China?

vickh 11-11-2012 09:08 AM

best way to clean??

WoodyWoodPecker 11-11-2012 09:10 AM

In for 1 at that price !

funinco10 11-11-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_Hawk (Post 54671890)
I hate having to drive to sears, so this is almost worth it for me, :lol:

Oh and a great vid on how to season. I :love: Hilah. If you like dry humor, big bewbs, and a gal that drinks, Hilah is for you :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxS4sIW-Ja0


Save yourself $4 and get from Amazon warehouse deals... http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-li...ition=used $19.28

iloveadeal 11-11-2012 09:16 AM

yes, how do you keep them clean without getting the "seasoning" to come off?

dwarf_tossr 11-11-2012 09:16 AM

Looks like a sweet deal, repped.

bennijai 11-11-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vickh (Post 54672370)
best way to clean??

after you use the cast iron, use kosher salt and a little oil to make a scrub to loosen the food particles stuck to the pan. wipe clean and you are set.

never use soap detergent, this will strip the cast iron of your hard earned seasoning.

great way to seasoning cast iron is using food grade flax seed oil. anyway, apply in several layers and you will have an amazing cast iron that is non stick. heat oven to the highest, let the cast iron get warm a little so pores open up, apply a coat of flax seed oil (not dripping), pop in 500 degree oven for 1 hr each coat. I would suggest applying 4-5 coats. tedious but well worth it.

2unz 11-11-2012 09:18 AM

ShopDiscover is at 10% for Sears...makes it even better.

YesOffense 11-11-2012 09:23 AM

14.45 w/coupon and tax for free ship with shop your way max. Nice to get a good last purchase in before the free trial expires.

jagace 11-11-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennijai (Post 54672572)
after you use the cast iron, use kosher salt and a little oil to make a scrub to loosen the food particles stuck to the pan. wipe clean and you are set.

never use soap detergent, this will strip the cast iron of your hard earned seasoning.

great way to seasoning cast iron is using food grade flax seed oil. anyway, apply in several layers and you will have an amazing cast iron that is non stick. heat oven to the highest, let the cast iron get warm a little so pores open up, apply a coat of flax seed oil (not dripping), pop in 500 degree oven for 1 hr each coat. I would suggest applying 4-5 coats. tedious but well worth it.

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/co...points.htm

here's a list of all the oils if u want to pick one.

IceGirl2u 11-11-2012 09:39 AM

in 4 one :)

billp0887 11-11-2012 09:58 AM

thanks op, n 4 1

scrappin 11-11-2012 10:22 AM

Sears
 
Use code CSONOV20 for 15% off.

delijante 11-11-2012 10:22 AM

keeps saying cart is empty

travfar 11-11-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delijante (Post 54674160)
keeps saying cart is empty

Put something in it.

primetime2113 11-11-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappin (Post 54674144)
Use code CSONOV20 for 15% off.

This promo code doesn't match one in our system. Please check the code and try again.

inmyrvm 11-11-2012 10:57 AM

anyone else not having the codes work?

sklar 11-11-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travfar (Post 54671964)
These are already seasoned.

Which is absolutely of no use whatsoever. Trust me.

Wash the pan, dry it, coat it with flax seed oil (highest burn point) and put it upside down on your grill outside, charcoal or gas, turned all the way up. Hour or so until it stops smoking and its no longer sticky. The least amount of oil you can use, the better.

I really enjoyed getting my cast iron pans. My USPS delivery guy had been leaving me pickup slips for heavy items so I'd have to go get them at the post office, because he was too lazy to haul them up the driveway. So I called the supervisor, got that fixed, then ordered about 50 cast iron pans such that at least one came every day. They don't fit in my mailbox! :lol: He got quite a workout...

NOCAN 11-11-2012 11:10 AM

Thanks OP! Been looking for a nice cheap deal on some cast iron pans.

deaddjembe 11-11-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennijai (Post 54672572)
great way to seasoning cast iron is using food grade flax seed oil.

I second this oil, it works great.

agibby5 11-11-2012 11:45 AM

Anyone know where these are made?

scottman 11-11-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agibby5 (Post 54676690)
Anyone know where these are made?

One review says made in china.

girlbytes 11-11-2012 12:05 PM

Thanks was just talking about getting some of these at the thrift store for the bug out/camping kit! I imagine these won't be as heavy & sturdy as Gma's old timey set! But I can wait a few more years for those! Great deal! And I had that old promo for the Max free shipping I forgot I had so I didn't even have to pick them up! Sweet $14 and some change with tax!

morphin 11-11-2012 12:16 PM

in 4 1. Was waiting for the price to drop. Thanks

wtfbbq 11-11-2012 12:43 PM

I just picked mine up. The casting is pretty rough. I think I'm going to sand them smooth before I season.

boots77 11-11-2012 01:02 PM

Also, sorry to put more info out there. But this is only info. You may take it or leave it without hurting my feelings. Here is one person's health appraisal of using iron:http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomis...iron-pans/

Doyourhomework 11-11-2012 01:05 PM

"Free in-store pick up"

Did they used to charge for this

pkp413 11-11-2012 01:16 PM

In for 1 with 10% back from Discover.

carlfxy 11-11-2012 01:36 PM

In41, thanks tu & repped
just picked them up, they are pretty dinky like the smallest one was made for dolls or something :)
but I like them

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottman (Post 54677116)
One review says made in china.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottman (Post 54677116)
One review says made in china.

yep made in china stamped on the underside of each pan

travfar 11-11-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkp413 (Post 54678664)
In for 1 with 10% back from Discover.

You don't like 15%?

num6 11-11-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9kckwhss (Post 54672330)
Made in China?

Yes, made in China, so it's questionable quality (at least the set I bought from Sears before). My 8" pan had a pin size hole in the bottom of the pan which made it unusable.

FeedMeAlmonds 11-11-2012 01:46 PM

Chinese crap, might be mixed with toxic metal.

1mememe 11-11-2012 02:09 PM

Great price but I would not trust the quality.

xWarMECHx 11-11-2012 02:10 PM

I've been eating teflon flakes from my old non-stick pans the past few months, so about time I get some new pans.

Couldn't get the 15% off code to work, so just stuck with the 10% off.

Thanks!

scooch 11-11-2012 02:15 PM

I can't believe people still use these!

travfar 11-11-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xWarMECHx (Post 54680228)
I've been eating teflon flakes from my old non-stick pans the past few months, so about time I get some new pans.

Couldn't get the 15% off code to work, so just stuck with the 10% off.

Thanks!

The teflon is inert. It'll basically pass right through you. And the aluminum on it will make you forget it was ever a problem. ;)

travfar 11-11-2012 02:25 PM

You know. I already was leary about he extra iron added by a cast iron pan, now with talk about it being rough... I think I'm going to cancel. I wonder if I'll get my redemned bonus points back?

Unless you are a pre-menopause woman, too much iron is a concern. That's why men's and senior vitamins don't have iron in them.

xWarMECHx 11-11-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travfar (Post 54680366)
The teflon is inert. It'll basically pass right through you. And the aluminum on it will make you forget it was ever a problem. ;)

Good to know. I was too scared to search about the safety of eating Teflon because I though for sure eating it and letting it accumlate would increase my risk of cancer, and I didn't want to face that reality.

Wow, typing that just made me realize how cheap I can become at the expense of my health.

xWarMECHx 11-11-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travfar (Post 54680584)
You know. I already was leary about he extra iron added by a cast iron pan, now with talk about it being rough... I think I'm going to cancel. I wonder if I'll get my redemned bonus points back?

Unless you are a pre-menopause worry, too much iron is a concern. That's why men's and senior vitamins don't have iron in them.

...or a vegetarian. These pans doubles as cookware and my iron supplement. Double slick!

travfar 11-11-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xWarMECHx (Post 54680638)
...or a vegetarian. These pans doubles as cookware and my iron supplement. Double slick!

True. Vegans need double the amount of iron since iron in vegetables aren't as well absorbed. The issue there though is cast iron cookware more than doubles the iron content, it raises it by an order of magnitude.

kaolan 11-11-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xWarMECHx (Post 54680594)
Good to know. I was too scared to search about the safety of eating Teflon because I though for sure eating it and letting it accumlate would increase my risk of cancer, and I didn't want to face that reality.

Wow, typing that just made me realize how cheap I can become at the expense of my health.

While teflon is inert, the glue under the teflon coat is actually a health concern. Well, if it makes you feel better, 98% of the Americans have the glue in their body.

pkp413 11-11-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travfar (Post 54679184)
You don't like 15%?

Cashback is on top of 15% coupon discount.

travfar 11-11-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkp413 (Post 54681048)
Cashback is on top of 15% coupon discount.

I'm talking about the 10 + 5% CB from Discover.

pkp413 11-11-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travfar (Post 54679184)
You don't like 15%?

Quote:

Originally Posted by travfar (Post 54681092)
I'm talking about the 10 + 5% CB from Discover.

I am signed up for the extra 5% online, but that is only for the first $1500, I believe.

travfar 11-11-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkp413 (Post 54681118)
I am signed up for the extra 5% online, but that is only for the first $1500, I believe.

Dude, you've spent $30,000 in a month!!! You rock it man.

ETP 11-11-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9kckwhss (Post 54672330)
Made in China?


Free mystery metals are a bonus!:D

Buy Lodge and have some hope that they are safe!

pkp413 11-11-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travfar (Post 54681186)
Dude, you've spent $30,000 in a month!!! You rock it man.


Yeah, I wish; its 5% on the first $1500 in online purchase (not $1500 in reward).

albeesure 11-11-2012 03:17 PM

Great deal. Picked up the set just now. Its nice s heavy :)

travfar 11-11-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkp413 (Post 54681698)
Yeah, I wish; its 5% on the first $1500 in online purchase (not $1500 in reward).

Wait. So no I'm $6500ish over for the promotion then? Another reason to cancel this deal. I hope I get my $4 in rewards points back.

freephoneid 11-11-2012 04:14 PM

out of stock for my area

wp746911 11-11-2012 04:17 PM

not to TC- cast iron is something that will last you 4 generations. My wife's grandmother still uses her mothers cast iron skillet for wicked fried chicken (guessing 75++ years of use). Do yourself a favor and get made in USA cast iron (lodge logic), not made in china... lodge logic is still pretty cheap, and you know th quality is good.

Dealsfans 11-11-2012 04:18 PM

Thanks for the deal !

CyberGuy 11-11-2012 04:42 PM

I'm trying to find the website for the company that makes this set - Basic Essentials. Can anyone find it? All I'm getting is some skin care website.

saucypony 11-11-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberGuy (Post 54683448)
I'm trying to find the website for the company that makes this set - Basic Essentials. Can anyone find it? All I'm getting is some skin care website.

Here you go: http://ttucorp.com

Basic Essentials is one of their brands.

CyberGuy 11-11-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saucypony (Post 54683714)
Here you go: http://ttucorp.com

Basic Essentials is one of their brands.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Repped.

jmills616 11-11-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeAlmonds (Post 54679360)
Chinese crap, might be mixed with toxic metal.


and radioactive to boot...:(

gonepostl 11-11-2012 06:18 PM

Killer deal!

REPPED!!

a4nKar 11-11-2012 06:23 PM

Thanks, picked one up.

babuofusa 11-11-2012 06:53 PM

i opened my box and the handle of one of the pans is broken...going to return tomorrow

haojiang 11-11-2012 07:43 PM

Just bought similar 5 piece cookware from ikea for $6 ....

- sent by iPhone App Deals & Steals 3.5.8 -

barnz008 11-11-2012 07:53 PM

$12.62 for the 10x18" double griddle by the same company. I'm all over that shizznit.

And for the love of all things good in this world...
1) don't wash cast iron unless it's right out of the box
2) don't put ANY type of seed oil on it, especially flax seed oil which is rancid as soon as it sees heat because of it's high PUFA content (ie unstable omega-6 oil).

Lard people, lard! Or maybe expeller pressed coconut oil (because it doesn't taste coconutty). Then just scrape from time to time or wipe it down. If you really scortch something on it, then use something like coarse steel wool or one of those mesh pot scrubbers.

barnz008 11-11-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babuofusa (Post 54686200)
i opened my box and the handle of one of the pans is broken...going to return tomorrow

Not a good sign. On any of my other cast iron pans (probably have 6-7 of them) you'd have to cut it off with welding torch.

cgigate 11-11-2012 08:10 PM

we are going back 300 years ago.
Quote:

Originally Posted by brisar (Post 54669054)
Sears

3-Piece Cast Iron Basic Essentials Fry Pan Set
[sears.com]

$13.75 w/ promo code GREATGIFTS

Free in-store pick up


vickh 11-11-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haojiang (Post 54687294)
Just bought similar 5 piece cookware from ikea for $6 ....

- sent by iPhone App Deals & Steals 3.5.8 -

still good? link?

curvezzz 11-11-2012 09:27 PM

In for one $14.93 after tax. One 8" cost that much at walmart :)

haojiang 11-11-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vickh (Post 54688328)
still good? link?

Well. They are in store only...

- sent by iPhone App Deals & Steals 3.5.8 -

Danzguy 11-12-2012 04:44 AM

I paid $12 at Harbor Freight, last month; same sizes. I use them in my smoker for beans, nuts, mac'n cheese...

flamom 11-12-2012 04:59 AM

After cleaning mine (with a brush and hot water), I put it on a warm burner to completely dry, then wipe it with oil.

chan 11-12-2012 07:31 AM

In 4 1 thx

shura 11-12-2012 08:39 AM

:bulb: +5% CasBAck FW [fatwallet.com]

travfar 11-12-2012 08:58 AM

Tried to cancel but I just got the shipped notice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shura (Post 54700482)
:bulb: +5% CasBAck FW [fatwallet.com]

You don't like the 15% from Discover?

dgirl6014 11-12-2012 09:03 AM

I've been wanting a set. Got one now! Thanks.

cartman7391 11-12-2012 11:42 AM

I know this may be a stretch, but does anyone know which oil these might be pre-seasoned with?

southernbellev 11-12-2012 12:02 PM

I've been needing a 10" cast iron pan, but the ones I was looking at on amazon.com were more than the cost of this whole set. Thanks for posting this slickdeal, OP; thumbs up and rep +4.

xavier73129 11-12-2012 05:49 PM

Purchased and done!

MaddieMoola 11-12-2012 05:53 PM

Good deal but Sears pick up is always staffed by insanely s-l-o-w people.

mr_rolla 11-12-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haojiang (Post 54687294)
Just bought similar 5 piece cookware from ikea for $6 ....

- sent by iPhone App Deals & Steals 3.5.8 -

Ikea sells cast iron pans?

sdallnct 11-12-2012 06:06 PM

Other than my Weber Kettle w/coal and a nice hunk of wood, cast iron is my favorite cooking method for steaks. Try it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipe...index.html

sandwich 11-12-2012 08:23 PM

Seasoning secret. In between one or more of the later rounds of seasoning while the pan is hot, cut a fresh onion in half latitudally put it on a fork and rub the flat side of the onion on the cooking surface. It'll reduce some of the funky flax seed smell and improve the flavor of your initial dishes.

studin520 11-13-2012 09:58 AM

sweet!
 
time to start some early christmas shopping. awesome


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:12 AM.


1999-2014